Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

st599

Cowes week crash

Anyone know anything more about the yacht that decided to ignore the pilot boat and go in front of an incoming tanker in a narrow channel?

I heard on Cowes FM that there was at least one MOB and that the mast may have been left dangling off the Tanker's anchor.

Oh I know I am going to love this topic. Popcorn on!

Anyone know anything more about the yacht that decided to ignore the pilot boat and go in front of an incoming tanker in a narrow channel?

I heard on Cowes FM that there was at least one MOB and that the mast may have been left dangling off the Tanker's anchor.

link :o

Wow, that was unbelievably dumb and, to compound it, some of the boats almost turned over the brake tug cable.

Ouch. It's quite common to have large commercial ships coming through the start/finish area, the SI's include section reminding comprtitors of the need to keep clear of ships in that area where they are making a big turn around the Bramble Bank.

Edit: yacht was a visitior from Ireland - Atalanta sailed by Roly Wilson, possibly not familiar with the area and the shipping ? As the tanker had a brake tug it almost certainly was being lead in by a pilot, passing between the pilot and the tanker is a major no-no. The yacht did the spring series in the Solent and is listed with a longer name implying she's uk based despite IRL sail number

color blind? its bright orange. you have to watch out for those hard to see big ass orange ships ,they can sneak up on you when you are not looking

Darwin Award WINNER 2011

I hope they reprint the book using VERY LARGE TYPE then throw it at him, with a suppliment entitled 'how not to be a complete cunt'

If I were in the crews shoes I'd cut the skipper a very large new arsehole.

I just did a quick Google. The boat was previously called That's Life. It's a Harley Corby 33 and was based in Galway for a good few years. It was sold to the UK last Summer/Autumn.

I'd say the boat is worth less than the fine the skipper is going to get.

What a dick!!!

peel ( including mast ) with outside assistance

DSQ

skipper has lost boat + house ( after court appearance )

lucky no one was killed

Doubt it. As far as the lost rig and any nasty scratches to the tanker's anchor, that's what insurance is for. They can't refuse to pay just because you were stupid. As far as a fine may go, ABP bye-laws at http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/files/Soton%20Byelaws.pdf.

Penalties

62. Any person who contravenes or otherwise fails to comply with any of these byelaws or any condition, requirement or prohibition imposed by ABP or the harbour master in the exercise of the powers conferred upon them or him by these byelaws shall be guilty of an offence and be liable, on conviction before a court of summary jurisdiction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale, except in the case of byelaws 13 & 16 where level 4 will apply,

Unlikely to be a 13 or 16 offence (nobody on watch and drunk respectively). Standard 3 maximum fine is £1000.

lucky no one was killed

Yes and this was undoubtedly the act of a fuckwit of the first order. Absolutely unbelievable to attempt to cross close in front of a tanker. You can see the damn things coming miles away. There would have been a pilot boat in front. Incredible.......

Is that a MOB at :24 of the video?

No, that's the skipper shitting his pants.

what are they doing racing in "Cowes Week" - if they don't understand the basics of sailing - keep the f$#ck out of the way! definitely Jonah award of the year

quick way to douse the spin.

And take the rig down, pull the boat in to the hoist and you are ready for hauling out.

There is also a bigger lesson here..

It is easy to forget/underestimate how friggin fast these large boats travel. And how slow monohulls typically are. ;^/

With their solid outlines and lack of any 'action' that denotes speed, they are often coming at 20 knots. I try to never pass in front of the things.

How the fuck did they not see the pilot boat, the tanker must have blasting its horn as well. Gonna be a fun crew meal that evening.

Undoubtedly they saw it but thought they could sneak in front, wouldnt have helped them though as violating the moving exclusion zone these things have would have led to the race committee protesting them and a very large fine anyway.

Yeah, tactician punched the skipper over the side...

navigator thought to self, "Oh fuck no, he deserves worse than death by Giant Tanker Propeller Chop!! Besides we need his ass alive to take the blame!"

Around here if you get the five horns you are dsq'd. You can hear a horn in the video.

Along with a few 50 caliber holes to repair if it is a ship being gaurded by the Coasties.

navigator thought to self, "Oh fuck no, he deserves worse than death by Giant Tanker Propeller Chop!! Besides we need his ass alive to take the blame!"

and since the spinnaker was not trimmed in perhaps the trimmer also was arguing with the skipper?

Darwin award?

Maybe the ship is at fault?

Maybe they need a louder horn?

Maybe the ship should be painted a more distinguishable color?

The

makes interesting viewing...... something tells me that after the crew have finished with him the MCA will also be fining them and I can't imagine his insurer is going to be too impressed once they've seen the footage!

HW

Does a Spinnaker Peel with Outside Assistance violate Rule 41?

And, with respect to RRS 45, before returning to race, would Atalanta be required to retrieve the tanker's anchor that they, ah, "borrowed"?

This makes for a perfect teaching moment video.......... for all new sailors ...... watch and learn kiddies.... :ph34r:

and since the spinnaker was not trimmed in perhaps the trimmer also was arguing with the skipper?

Darwin award?

That's what I was getting at. This whole thing looks like the trimmers fault to me. Why does the driver always get blamed for everything?

Really really lucky. It hit just aft enough to push the stern around. If it had hit dead center it may have pushed the boat sideways and caused a much more serious event. A negligent homicide charge will change your life. Hope skipper didn't any ale at lunch or it will be even worse for him.

Doubt it. As far as the lost rig and any nasty scratches to the tanker's anchor, that's what insurance is for. They can't refuse to pay just because you were stupid. As far as a fine may go, ABP bye-laws at http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/files/Soton%20Byelaws.pdf.

Penalties

62. Any person who contravenes or otherwise fails to comply with any of these byelaws or any condition, requirement or prohibition imposed by ABP or the harbour master in the exercise of the powers conferred upon them or him by these byelaws shall be guilty of an offence and be liable, on conviction before a court of summary jurisdiction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale, except in the case of byelaws 13 & 16 where level 4 will apply,

Unlikely to be a 13 or 16 offence (nobody on watch and drunk respectively). Standard 3 maximum fine is £1000.

lucky no one was killed

Yes and this was undoubtedly the act of a fuckwit of the first order. Absolutely unbelievable to attempt to cross close in front of a tanker. You can see the damn things coming miles away. There would have been a pilot boat in front. Incredible.......

Be amazed if the insurance pays out on that one, if they do I'd love to see next years premium.

What about the MCA? Can they prosecute or fine?

Doubt it. As far as the lost rig and any nasty scratches to the tanker's anchor, that's what insurance is for. They can't refuse to pay just because you were stupid. As far as a fine may go, ABP bye-laws at http://www.southampt...%20Byelaws.pdf.

I would think that the many violations shown in the video that are obvious to a amateur like me - failure to yield to supertanker for one - would both violate his insurance and carry fines or jailtime.

Just like failure to yield to a train can get you thrown in jail.

But, but, I have priority! I have sailboat!

I said:

STARBOARD!!

Insurance is not void just due to stupidity, otherwise they would pay very few claims.

Get all drunked up, run a red light, hit someone, they still pay. That time. Good luck renewing though :lol:

The idjits over here that managed to get hit by a tanker AND cause it to run aground had to pay a pretty big claim for getting the tanker towed off the sandbar.

Doubt it. As far as the lost rig and any nasty scratches to the tanker's anchor, that's what insurance is for. They can't refuse to pay just because you were stupid. As far as a fine may go, ABP bye-laws at http://www.southampt...%20Byelaws.pdf.

I would think that the many violations shown in the video that are obvious to a amateur like me - failure to yield to supertanker for one - would both violate his insurance and carry fines or jailtime.

Just like failure to yield to a train can get you thrown in jail.

Definitely a MOB before contact but I don't see the MOB resurface after contact. There's more to the story than a stupid race boat not making a cross in front of the ship. The race boat may have experienced a problem before contact.

Like Vigil said, check out the vid. frames at 23 seconds.

TVNZ: "Two of the yacht's crew were thrown overboard, but were quickly rescued. One was taken to hospital for treatment for a gash to the head." Very lucky

Good way to start my monday morning, coffee in hand watching a near death experience!

I'm sailing out of a shipping lane later tonight, we might just one sail and motor now until we hit clear water. Oh wait, I don't think I/we could possibly be that stupid :P

I can totally understand why the skipper couldn't see the bright orange tanker. The reason, everything is painted bright orange or covered in day glow or hazard tape. This is for safety reasons so you can see dangerous things, Unfortunatley the safety police have got carried away with all this, so the big tanker would have effectively been very hard to see because of all the other day glow orange, hazard tape etc behind it!

Lets sue someone else for painting it in the new camoflage colour orange.

Any news on what will happen to the dimwit who put a racing course in a narrow shipping channel? Be that as it may, don't blame the trimmer for this. Looks to me as if the tanker was moving close to dead upwind and the yacht was on a beam reach across the tanker's bows. Idiot.

I"m pretty sure that racers in the Solent would have a big problem if they weren't allowed to have their races set in a shipping channel considering that pretty much the whole Solent is a shipping channel.

I wonder when they realised that there was real trouble afoot?

Surely no one was saying we are going to cross keep going.

Calling Darwin

If you look very carefully to the direction the shuttle tanker is travelling, you may notice that during the clip it would appear that it is on a straight course right to left. As the clip nears its end, suddenly the transom is at a distinct angle which would suggest that it was already performing a sharp turn to starboard before the collision with the racer. This would undoubtedly confuse the skipper as the clearing distance would suddenly be non existant.

R

If you look very carefully to the direction the shuttle tanker is travelling, you may notice that during the clip it would appear that it is on a straight course right to left. As the clip nears its end, suddenly the transom is at a distinct angle which would suggest that it was already performing a sharp turn to starboard before the collision with the racer. This would undoubtedly confuse the skipper as the clearing distance would suddenly be non existant.

R

Skipper, is that you?

R

Skipper, is that you?

Funny. Turns on an f'ing dime it does. Don't let the size fool you, it has an aziopod the size of a VW Beetle under the bow.

That's amazing!!!

Glad that no one got seriously hurt or killed. That could have been much worse!!

Hey- You scratched my anchor!

Wow that is crazy. I dont' sail in an area with tankers etc so it's a bit scary to even see that much traffic and large traffic and racing going on at the same time. Amazing that boat didn't get destroyed and nobody got hurt. Being in the insurance biz I am interested in how their carrier treats this one. Would love to see how they write the claim up to start.

just a point - don't think it's a supertanker - don't think those are allowed in the solent - or even if it is deep enough there for them

just a costal boat - maybe panamax at the largest

Wow that is crazy. I dont' sail in an area with tankers etc so it's a bit scary to even see that much traffic and large traffic and racing going on at the same time.

You should try racing in Sydney or Auckland harbour, it can get very interesting.

I agree.. Looks like the tanker was hunting.. I thought the last revision of the RRS got rid of that.

R

Skipper, is that you?

Funny. Turns on an f'ing dime it does. Don't let the size fool you, it has an aziopod the size of a VW Beetle under the bow.

The problem is that this may affect racing in the area.

There were several complaints from comercial traffic about racing yachts to the Marine Department here and now all racing has a gun to it's head. Any more complaints and the racing licence gets pulled.

yumyum eat em up!

We deal with Lakers from time to time in channels and off shore. The tankers wind shadow simply killed the pink chute, Get the keys out idiot. Ive been known to have been seen running for the keys when its getting to close to call. We called on channel 16 for a port to passing on one mac with a up bounder going about 18 knots we were going 4 to 6 and as it worked out it was a starboard pass. The skipper of the 1000 footer came on 16 and asked "What side port your boat Rowdy. " We contact the skippers of freighters to work out passing in the open lake.

The num nuts in this one was just plain wrong in so many ways.

I said:

STARBOARD!!

The Tanker replied:

"Steal"

Insurance company has to pay. Nothing to stop them then pursuing the skipper for gross negligence and failure to keep watch. Happens all the time. Crew could seek damages too.... injuries etc.

I said:

STARBOARD!!

The Tanker replied:

"Steal"

Spell check is a wonderful thing.....but sometimes it's just not enough!

I blame the tactician. "Skip, we can pick up 5 more knots surfing that bow wave if we time it just right. C'mon! What do we have to lose? With the prize money we can finally get a new spinnaker!"

That's when the bowman jumps at :24.

At what point does a GOOD crew say, hey skipper, um, not with my life you don't!!!

The tankers wind shadow simply killed the pink chute

Wind is blowing from the left, the ship is coming from the right, going upwind, so how could its wind shadow affect the sailboat to windward?

And I wonder if the MOB (before contact) jumped overboard, fearing the imminent collision?

Insurance company has to pay. Nothing to stop them then pursuing the skipper for gross negligence and failure to keep watch. Happens all the time. Crew could seek damages too.... injuries etc.

I'd check your insurance policy. Most include clauses to the effect that if there is damage caused by an illegal act (and this would be right up there) then at most they might cover the others involved, but you're on your own.

Insurance is to cover when you make an ass of yourself, not when you break the rules.

At the 23rd second into this clip one crewmember of the yacht jumped over board as mentioned above. If the tanker didn't stop the props that guy is probably sucked right into them. Horrible scenario :(

There should be news about the MOB guy by now

Just found the news: Two people were thrown overboard when the sails of the boat Atlanta of Chester, got tangled in the anchor of the massive tanker. The yachtsmen were pulled from the water by a regatta safety boat.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023307/Yacht-ploughs-bulky-tanker-Cowes-Week-sailing-regatta.html#ixzz1UP3xB0OR

insurance company will say to skipper after charged and convicted in court

we will not pay ( or payment might be capped )

take us to court

where / how will that finish ?

why should responsible people have to pay extra next insurance bill for an act like that ?

payments by customers v risk are in a " pool "

if this gets drained charges go up the following year

the incident started

1 did not obey 1 km exclusion .... is this part of S. I. 's ?

2 disregarded the pilot boat that was shepherding

.... refer 1

if he was close enough for a hail from the pilot boat where was he ?

............. and fools here say insurance will pay out after all the video, vhf / radar replays and logs

not to say pictures and u tube ...

who thinks the ship does not have any video records from the bridge and bow ?

if the skipper owns a business he may have to also sell that to pay the bills to come

........... or are there too many ostriches out there ?

you should not believe everything you are told " on good authority " in a yacht club bar

Why did they let the kite flag , they may have got through

Why didn't they gybe and go down the stbd side of the ship

Skipper could of killed them if it hit and the boat rolled to windward what a fuckwit

During last week's Santa Barbara to King Harbor race a U.S. Navy ocean-going tug was towing some sort of Navy utility ship right across the course about 5 miles from Santa Cruz Island. Someone on the bridge hailed several times (at least three times) on VHF 16 with a sécurité announcement describing the location and visual appearance of the Naval Operation in progress. Never-the-less three or so boats opted to "go for it" and cross the bows of the tug and towed vessel. There were at least two "five horn" warnings.

Finally what sounded like a much more senior officer came on the radio and hailed very slowly and distinctly (as if he were talking to idiots) something like this:

"Listen: We are the
big gray boat
towing the
other big gray boat
. If you don't keep clear you will be reported to
Homeland Security
immediately."

* the accented words were spoken that way by the officer

I was surprised that none of the 90-boat fleet attempted to contact the Navy on the radio.

I was surprised that several of the boats decided to challenge the Navy.

I was surprised we didn't see a couple of helos or fast intercept boats come out and escort the offending boats to port.

My guess is that very few boats had the presence of mind to monitor the radio in the vicinity of heavy traffic.

Scarily, I wonder if that is exactly what he was thinking.

R

Very likely as that's what shipping following the channel into Southampton does just there. A sharp 120 degree turn to starboard. This is helpfully explained with a diagram in the Cowes Week Sailing Instructions for anyone not familiar with the Solent. Furthermore, the tanker will be following a Pilot Boat. which will have already made the turn There is sod all excuse for the skipper to be confused,

I'd check your insurance policy. Most include clauses to the effect that if there is damage caused by an illegal act (and this would be right up there) then at most they might cover the others involved, but you're on your own.

I have a policy from the main UK marine insurance provider. There is no such clause. There are references to "due diligence", "acts of recklessness" and "wilful misconduct" but I've never heard of an insurance company refusing to pay up on those grounds.Fairly unlikely however that he'll get marine insurance again any time soon.

Really really lucky. It hit just aft enough to push the stern around. If it had hit dead center it may have pushed the boat sideways and caused a much more serious event. A negligent homicide charge will change your life. Hope skipper didn't any ale at lunch or it will be even worse for him.

Right on! A split second or two earlier and the tanker bow would have hit in the sweet spot and driven the sailboat under.

Somewhere by now there will be an accident report compiled or being completed. I'm looking forward to the explanation of how these cretins put themselves in such an impossible corner. Was it something complex like the tactician smashing the skipper over the head with a winch handle because he wouldn't take the long way around the big, endless orange fence? Or something breaktakingly simple like "don't worry, I've done this a hundred times!"

Why did they let the kite flag , they may have got through

Looks to me in the video that's exactly what they tried to do. It is however contrary to harbour bye-laws to which all local SIs make reference and require compliance.

Why didn't they gybe and go down the stbd side of the ship

Should have. However I suspect he's attempting to head for the finish line which is a few 100s of metres away at this point. Well, tough. Should have seen the big orange ship earlier and got on the correct side of it.

The problem is that this may affect racing in the area.

Fortunately I doubt it. The area off Cowes is one of high contention between shipping and racing and both communities know they need to deal with the issue. This is not the first collision in the area and at least one other involved fatalities. The nightmare scenario is racing boats causing a tanker to go aground with major financial and/or ecological consequences although the latter is unlikely since the ship would hit sand not rock, and ships manage to go aground manoeuvring into Southampton without sailing boats to blame for it.

Hanne Knutsen -- a mere 265-meter tanker.

Length overall264,680mLength between perpendiculars256,500mExtreme breadth42,500mExtreme depth15,677mSummer draught15,67mParallell body length summer draught153,168mBow to centre manifold128,300m

Vessel's Details

Ship Type: Tanker - Hazard C (Minor)

Year Built: 2000

Length x Breadth: 265 m X 40 m

DeadWeight: 123851 t

Speed recorded (Max / Average): 14.7 / 9.5 knots

Flag: United Kingdom [uK] UK.gif

Call Sign: VQEO5

IMO: 9190638, MMSI: 235598000

Last Position Received

Area: English Channel

Latitude / Longitude: 50.8395° / -1.328833° (Map)

Currently in Port:

Last Known Port: FAWLEY

Info Received: 1d 13h 14min 29s ago

Not Currently in Range

Itineraries History