• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
cajunkiwi

Henderson 30?

Have you thought about racing in HPR? There is the EC Champs in Annapolis in Oct. I think the Hendo could slot in nicely in HPR

I know a lot of Hendo owners check in on this thread, and that is a good thing. So the next step. Can we get together and race? Here is a loose criteria that I have for racing other Hendersons.

1, Prefer east of the Rockies (sorry)

2, Would prefer a non Key West Block Island type regatta (to expensive)

3. Would be best to piggyback onto a regatta with PHRF classes in case we don’t get enough boats for our own class. (Planning wouldn’t be wasted, we could still race)

4, Would prefer a regatta with free launch, free dock & cheap local lodging.

5, Months I won’t travel is July. June is tough also.

6, If you have a cool local regatta in your area, let us know. I like traveling to these types of events.

First event I’d like to throw out for consideration is St Pete NOODS in February. Free lauch (ramp or singlepoint) free dock, lots of local lodging.

Any thoughts?

If a few other Hendos wanted to do this, I would show up. But................I've already purchased four different rating certificates this year. Sitting down and figuring out another rating system this late in the year would be a pain. What types of boats do you think will be showing up @ your HPR regatta? If its the 20th of Oct I'm out. wife and son are running a marathon.

Have you thought about racing in HPR? There is the EC Champs in Annapolis in Oct. I think the Hendo could slot in nicely in HPR

I know a lot of Hendo owners check in on this thread, and that is a good thing. So the next step. Can we get together and race? Here is a loose criteria that I have for racing other Hendersons.

3. Would be best to piggyback onto a regatta with PHRF classes in case we don’t get enough boats for our own class. (Planning wouldn’t be wasted, we could still race)

6, If you have a cool local regatta in your area, let us know. I like traveling to these types of events.

First event I’d like to throw out for consideration is St Pete NOODS in February. Free lauch (ramp or singlepoint) free dock, lots of local lodging.

Any thoughts?

You just have to get a couple of old retirees to move the boat around and you get to fly in like a rockstar :D .

Any thoughts?

I know that it would be hard to get Mojito to travel much out of Michigan we just don't have the time.

Agree that it is a little short fuse for this year - and you would have to take a look at how a Hendo would rate under HPR to see if it is even feasible to race under HPR. I have a feeling that you would be fine under HPR though. It's Nov 1-3 BTW

If a few other Hendos wanted to do this, I would show up. But................I've already purchased four different rating certificates this year. Sitting down and figuring out another rating system this late in the year would be a pain. What types of boats do you think will be showing up @ your HPR regatta? If its the 20th of Oct I'm out. wife and son are running a marathon.

Any thoughts?

You should do Henderson 30 Nationals at Long Beach race Week and ask to be inside the breakwater... would be great..

9 bodies? I would go with 12. Henderson 30 takes a lot to plane.

You just have to get a couple of old retirees to move the boat around and you get to fly in like a rockstar :D .

Any thoughts?

I know that it would be hard to get Mojito to travel much out of Michigan we just don't have the time.

The only real retiree we have is your budy Magrum and all he wants to do is be up north.

Your the second guy that has brought op the phrf NE regatta. This could end up being the place.

Any thoughts?

bring em to phrf ne's next year. you've already got 2 in boston area who would probably want to race OD or at least SB instead of what they're doing now. Can't say the lodging in M'head is "cheap" but there are plenty of free places to launch, it's in August so plenty of time to plan. Only downside is I think next year is a BYC year, so the parking sucks, but you can always park at CYC or EYC and take the launches over. 3 days of racing for around $250.

Oh, and if you did, make sure you're on the same line with the 105s. It's the only one that semi-consistently has wind.

There is a new Henderson30 racing in Tampa Bay now. Looked pretty good out on the water but they didnt come into the yacht club (too deep). From what i hear they got it out of a warehouse in Texas. I dont have the contact info for the owners but i can get it if you'd like.

I don't think they usually have any wind in Marblehead..... But only sailed there a few times.

seems to be odd years that have wind. 2011 was cancelled entirely because of a hurricane, and 2009 the middle day was canceled for the same reason. Last year was a drift fest punctuated on our line by a diving contest, won by Greenie who dove from the spreaders of a J105. 2010 was really light too. This year only Sunday was super light, at least on our line. However, our line got 8 races in over three days, where line 1 only got 6.

Agreed...Marblehead is lame, but we do already have 2 Hendos racing there. There was great discussion this year of creating a Super-30 class, which would be the Hendos, a Farr 30 converted to Asym, and the Cone of Silence. In that case, the class is already up to 4 boats, and sticking another couple Hendersons in would be pretty sweet!

Another option is Buzzard's Bay Regatta. This year is a Marion year, which means plenty of moorings, relatively convenient from Boston, and nice breeze. With 2 Hendersons from Boston and one from Naragansett Bay, that could be a good time...

If you could get me their contact info, that would be great. Or just let them know about this thread.

Thanks

There is a new Henderson30 racing in Tampa Bay now. Looked pretty good out on the water but they didnt come into the yacht club (too deep). From what i hear they got it out of a warehouse in Texas. I dont have the contact info for the owners but i can get it if you'd like.

I'm not against coming to the east coast next year. We will see what develops. Another possibility is Cleveland race week. There is one Hendo there and two more on the west end of Lake Erie. It is a mid June regatta.

I don't think they usually have any wind in Marblehead..... But only sailed there a few times.

seems to be odd years that have wind. 2011 was cancelled entirely because of a hurricane, and 2009 the middle day was canceled for the same reason. Last year was a drift fest punctuated on our line by a diving contest, won by Greenie who dove from the spreaders of a J105. 2010 was really light too. This year only Sunday was super light, at least on our line. However, our line got 8 races in over three days, where line 1 only got 6.

Agreed...Marblehead is lame, but we do already have 2 Hendos racing there. There was great discussion this year of creating a Super-30 class, which would be the Hendos, a Farr 30 converted to Asym, and the Cone of Silence. In that case, the class is already up to 4 boats, and sticking another couple Hendersons in would be pretty sweet!

Another option is Buzzard's Bay Regatta. This year is a Marion year, which means plenty of moorings, relatively convenient from Boston, and nice breeze. With 2 Hendersons from Boston and one from Naragansett Bay, that could be a good time...

I'm not against coming to the east coast next year. We will see what develops. Another possibility is Cleveland race week. There is one Hendo there and two more on the west end of Lake Erie. It is a mid June regatta.

I think Cleveland would be a feasible for Mojito

If there is any interest, I'd like to get some Henderson's together again someday for some racing. I have August available this year if anybody has a cool regatta in their backyard. My long range plans include ST Pete NOOD next Feb.

Blow off July and head west. There will be a couple of hendos in the pnw super 30 fleet, along with Farr 30s, ft10s and perhaps a j90x, all racing level at WIRW, Oak Harbor, WA. Affectionately known as adult summer camp. Free camping on site with no need to drive anywhere. First gun not until noon. Good times.

If there is any interest, I'd like to get some Henderson's together again someday for some racing. I have August available this year if anybody has a cool regatta in their backyard. My long range plans include ST Pete NOOD next Feb.

Blow off July and head west. There will be a couple of hendos in the pnw super 30 fleet, along with Farr 30s, ft10s and perhaps a j90x, all racing level at WIRW, Oak Harbor, WA. Affectionately known as adult summer camp. Free camping on site with no need to drive anywhere. First gun not until noon. Good times.

loooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a Henderson 30 "Viking" on the hard next to my boat. Glad to have such a good looking boat parked next to mine. I will have to thank the yard guys.

There is a Henderson 30 "Viking" on the hard next to my boat. Glad to have such a good looking boat parked next to mine. I will have to thank the yard guys.

Where is the Boat located?

What about Buzzards Bay Regatta this year?

Two Boats From Boston?

My Boat

Bill from VT?

You from mid west

Purple Haze from Long Island?

That would make 6 boats.....

We had 9 in nap town for 2001 nood and same in st Pete in. 2002. Good times on great boats.

First week of August is a bit early for me. But if I see people commit early (Juneish), I'll be there.!!

Two Boats From Boston?

My Boat

Bill from VT?

You from mid west

First week of August is a bit early for me. But if I see people commit early (Juneish), I'll be there.!!

Two Boats From Boston?

My Boat

Bill from VT?

You from mid west

Not sure if you'd be interested in this, but The New Englands this year is entertaining some new racing formats, and one of them could include a "super 30" class. If it happens, it would be the hendos, a columbia, the cone, a farr 30, who knows what else?

Otherwise, we'd be very interested if the Hendos wanted their own start at the New Englands (late August) if you wanted to make it your nationals or north americans or whatever. Marblehead can provide launch facilities for any travelers, and we're working on accommodations as well at reasonable rates. If there's interest, I'll help you make it happen.

Thanks Ryley!!!

So, I guess your boat did sell?

Two Boats From Boston?

My Boat

Bill from VT?

You from mid west

Not sure if you'd be interested in this, but The New Englands this year is entertaining some new racing formats, and one of them could include a "super 30" class. If it happens, it would be the hendos, a columbia, the cone, a farr 30, who knows what else?

Otherwise, we'd be very interested if the Hendos wanted their own start at the New Englands (late August) if you wanted to make it your nationals or north americans or whatever. Marblehead can provide launch facilities for any travelers, and we're working on accommodations as well at reasonable rates. If there's interest, I'll help you make it happen.

Thanks Ryley!!!

So, I guess your boat did sell?

not sure what one has to do with the other, but yes, it did.

Congrats!!

Has anyone put a longer pole on a Henderson 30? The Henderson has almost identical measurements to the older Melges 30, but the Melges 30 had a much longer bow spirt.

Henderson 30..

Rig Dimensions (feet/meters) Henderson 30 I: 37.0/11.28 J: 11.0/3.36 P: 38.1/11.6 E: 14.4/4.39 ISP: 42.2/12.85

JSP: 17.7/5.4

Melges 30

Rig Dimensions (feet/meters) Melges 30 I: 36.8/11.22 J: 10.7/3.25 P: 38.0/11.57 E: 15.5/4.71 ISP: 42.5/12.94 JSP: 19.3/5.89 Py: Ey:

Melges 30 Boom is 1 foot longer and Bowspirt is 1.5 ft longer on Melges 30

Ther is a Hendo in ST Pete that has put a conventional (oversize I think) pole on the boat and done away with the sprit. There is another Hendo out there somewhere that has put a three foot longer sprit on the boat. Maybe if they are out there they will share their thoughts.

Has anyone put a longer pole on a Henderson 30? The Henderson has almost identical measurements to the older Melges 30, but the Melges 30 had a much longer bow spirt.

Henderson 30..

Rig Dimensions (feet/meters) Henderson 30 I: 37.0/11.28 J: 11.0/3.36 P: 38.1/11.6 E: 14.4/4.39 ISP: 42.2/12.85

Melges 30

Rig Dimensions (feet/meters) Melges 30 I: 36.8/11.22 J: 10.7/3.25 P: 38.0/11.57 E: 15.5/4.71 ISP: 42.5/12.94 JSP: 19.3/5.89 Py: Ey:

Ther is a Hendo in ST Pete that has put a conventional (oversize I think) pole on the boat and done away with the sprit. There is another Hendo out there somewhere that has put a three foot longer sprit on the boat. Maybe if they are out there they will share their thoughts.

Henderson 30..

Melges 30

Thanks.... Hopefully they are on SA! I would like to hear about the 3 ft longer pole.... I think a Melges 32 pole might work, but not sure ....

WHOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Henderson with conventional pole is in Pensacola not St Pete. All them dam warm places look alike.

Hopefully either will chime in.... Longer bowspirt sounds interesting

WHOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Henderson with conventional pole is in Pensacola not St Pete. All them dam warm places look alike.

Im not sure on our pole length but we do have a fixed sprit unlike most henos. I've sailed a m30 and against one and have found that the longer pole helps with dead down conditions the most because they can swing more to windward. Anything lost down wind though is made up going to weather against them.

Im not sure on our pole length but we do have a fixed sprit unlike most henos. I've sailed a m30 and against one and have found that the longer pole helps with dead down conditions the most because they can swing more to windward. Anything lost down wind though is made up going to weather against them.

So, you have more speed and point on the Henderson then a Melges 30 upwind? Next time you are down at the boat can you measure it and post some pictures?

So, you have more speed and point on the Henderson then a Melges 30 upwind? Next time you are down at the boat can you measure it and post some pictures?

In under ten knots tws with the one up they cant touch is up wind on speed or point.

In under ten knots tws with the one up they cant touch is up wind on speed or point.

Ah...yes, the Henderson 30 is a weapon in light air!!!

And what about the MELGES 32?

BTW, I heard a rumor that one of the Boston Hendos might not make it in the water this year, unfortunately. However if you want to come to the Offshore New England Championships (formerly PHRF New Englands), we are still interested in having you as a class.

Ryley - Whats the scoop? Have more details on the regatta and the Hendo not going in the water?

I've got a schedule for the regatta, I'll look it up but I'm pretty sure it's August 22 - 24. It's branded as the "Ocean New England Championships" this year, moving away from the "PHRF New Englands." The venue is Marblehead. As in years past there will be plenty of places to rig and launch, free moorings for participants, and launches from club to club. Boston YC is the host club this year. There are some other changes coming which haven't been finalized yet so I'm not going to say until our plan is more in place, but the big takeaway is that if someone wants to do a super-30 class, bring a one design class to the event, or even look at some navigator courses or the like, we're willing to entertain those ideas.

As to the hendo, I think it has to do with knee replacement surgery so taking a season off from racing.

Thanks!! I don't think Marblehead is in the cards for me... That is a long motor or very complicated tow!

And what about the MELGES 32?

The M32's leave both the M30 and the hendos like we are standing still. It still amazes me how much 6 foot of rig adds to there boat speed.

Sorry to say that the HOG's fearless leader is probably not going to be in stomping-uphill-across-the-stern shape this season. The future is unclear. We'll figure it out in the end, though! The boat may change hands, sit out a season, get converted to a cigarette boat....anything is possible!

I've got a schedule for the regatta, I'll look it up but I'm pretty sure it's August 22 - 24. It's branded as the "Ocean New England Championships" this year, moving away from the "PHRF New Englands." The venue is Marblehead. As in years past there will be plenty of places to rig and launch, free moorings for participants, and launches from club to club. Boston YC is the host club this year. There are some other changes coming which haven't been finalized yet so I'm not going to say until our plan is more in place, but the big takeaway is that if someone wants to do a super-30 class, bring a one design class to the event, or even look at some navigator courses or the like, we're willing to entertain those ideas.

As to the hendo, I think it has to do with knee replacement surgery so taking a season off from racing.

Bummer to hear about HOG. I was and still am interested in heading east if we can get some Hendos committed. I am starting to put my summer schedule together. If it looks like no big road trip for the year I am going to start working on doing both Macs. If a road trip opportunity develops I'll probably only do one of the Macs and be ready to travel.

Sorry to say that the HOG's fearless leader is probably not going to be in stomping-uphill-across-the-stern shape this season. The future is unclear. We'll figure it out in the end, though! The boat may change hands, sit out a season, get converted to a cigarette boat....anything is possible!

Please keep us posted!!!

Bummer to hear about HOG. I was and still am interested in heading east if we can get some Hendos committed. I am starting to put my summer schedule together. If it looks like no big road trip for the year I am going to start working on doing both Macs. If a road trip opportunity develops I'll probably only do one of the Macs and be ready to travel.

Kevin - I keep throwing out some suggestions.... we just need to get organized. Maybe email to all boats with a list of dates? NYYC Race Week might be another option. Easy to launch the boat at sail newport.

Hopefully you and your buddy's are scraping up the cash to buy her. Or at least pay the insurance and slip fees and rent her for the season!

Give me a couple of days and I'll put a list together and post it. Then I will E mail it to the owners that I have contact information for.

Kevin - I keep throwing out some suggestions.... we just need to get organized. Maybe email to all boats with a list of dates? NYYC Race Week might be another option. Easy to launch the boat at sail newport.

Well...my plans are now on hold for a few months. Had a heart attack yesterday. Its gonna take me a bit of time to regroup.

damn! Scary stuff Hope you have a fast recovery.

Well...my plans are now on hold for a few months. Had a heart attack yesterday. Its gonna take me a bit of time to regroup.

Wow!! Sorry to hear that Kevin!! I will pray for a speedy recovery!

Taking it easy and doing well!! One more procedure in a couple of weeks and should be good to sail by May.

Kevin mate take it easy, cheers

Kevin - That is awesome news!!! Please keep us posted!!

Taking it easy and doing well!! One more procedure in a couple of weeks and should be good to sail by May.

Kevin mate take it easy, cheers

Yeah!

What kind of vangs are other hendos using. We have a soft one but are looking at going to a ridgid. Any thoughts?

I have a soft vang. I was going to replace with ridgid, but my boom has the IMS holes cut in the boom to make it lighter. I didn't want to bend the boom, so just went soft.

What kind of vangs are other hendos using. We have a soft one but are looking at going to a ridgid. Any thoughts?

I have a soft vang. I was going to replace with ridgid, but my boom has the IMS holes cut in the boom to make it lighter. I didn't want to bend the boom, so just went soft.

How does the rigid boom make it bend more? Isn't it just a spring pushing the boom up so it doesn't sag down? If you remove the solid piece you still have a soft cascade providing all the power...

How does the rigid boom make it bend more? Isn't it just a spring pushing the boom up so it doesn't sag down? If you remove the solid piece you still have a soft cascade providing all the power...

Mainsheet pulls down and ridgid vang pushes up......what do you think is going to happen?

Mainsheet pulls down and ridgid vang pushes up......what do you think is going to happen?

You reduce the pressure on spring/air/etc... If you are pulling that much load against the vang ram, you are not getting enough leech tension anyways.

The Boomkicker comes with a stiff and not so stiff set of rods. I used the wimpy ones and it works well for me. No real noticable difference noticed when sheeting in.

I use a Boomkicker, aka a cheap mans rigid vang.

attachicon.gifboomkicker.jpg

After you added it did you notice a difference?

I use a Boomkicker, aka a cheap mans rigid vang.

attachicon.gifboomkicker.jpg

After you added it did you notice a difference?

Nothing will happen to the boom unless

you disregard common sense by setting the rigid vang resistance much more than necessary to keep the boom at horizontal when the main sail is flaked on it,

or

you ignore the necessary geometry by installing the rigid vang so that the angle between the two (vang and boom) is less than 30 degrees,

or

instead of installing a rigid vang you decide to install a "ridgid" vang, which I am not familiar with.

Thanks for the input we got this nautos one to try out on the boat this year. We want to be able to keep the main on the boom for once and not have to take it off ever night. Looked at the kicker but dont really care for the look of it.

http://www.nautos-usa.com/pdadmin/fotos/1313720523foto.jpg

Another quick question about the sprit. Is anyone running any kind of gasket on it, we seem to get a fair bit of water in through the tube when going upwind in a breeze and would like to find a way to stop or at least lessen the amount of water from getting in trough it.

Thanks for the input we got this nautos one to try out on the boat this year. We want to be able to keep the main on the boom for once and not have to take it off ever night. Looked at the kicker but dont really care for the look of it.

Another quick question about the sprit. Is anyone running any kind of gasket on it, we seem to get a fair bit of water in through the tube when going upwind in a breeze and would like to find a way to stop or at least lessen the amount of water from getting in trough it.

I had a gasket on the end of the pole, but that only lasted until going through a wave doing 18 kts downwind. Kevin has a mouse pad on the inside of the boat. I will run a similar setup this year. I will keep you posted on the progress this spring.

Luke, Here is a rough template of the gasket shape that I use on the plug on the end of the pole. There is a second gasket about four inches inside the hull that can be accessed by pulling the pole out of the boat. I'll look around and see if I have a template of that for you. BUT...if I remember right you have a different pole setup than most Hendersons. A henderson standard pole is tapered the first few feet. If I remember correctly your pole is not? Do you have a plug on the end of the pole that fits into the hull? Either way the internal gasket should be looked at.

Say Uncle pole plug gasket.pdf

Luke, Here is a rough template of the gasket shape that I use on the plug on the end of the pole. There is a second gasket about four inches inside the hull that can be accessed by pulling the pole out of the boat. I'll look around and see if I have a template of that for you. BUT...if I remember right you have a different pole setup than most Hendersons. A henderson standard pole is tapered the first few feet. If I remember correctly your pole is not? Do you have a plug on the end of the pole that fits into the hull? Either way the internal gasket should be looked at.

attachicon.gifSay Uncle pole plug gasket.pdf

ya our pole is different to the stock one. It is a single diameter the entire length and dosnt have any plug. Im thinking about making some rubber gaskets to go on either end of the pole so that when it is in and out it will have a seal. Still in the design phase though.

http://yachtpals.com/files/userimages/DSCN2327.JPG

Here is what our pole looks like exiting the hull.

ya our pole is different to the stock one. It is a single diameter the entire length and dosnt have any plug. Im thinking about making some rubber gaskets to go on either end of the pole so that when it is in and out it will have a seal. Still in the design phase though.

Is your pole longer then a standard Henderson 30? Did you buy the boat that way or added it after?

Is your pole longer then a standard Henderson 30? Did you buy the boat that way or added it after?

We bought the boat like this. I believe when they changed the pole to this from the articulating pole they did add a few inches to it but im not positive on that because ive never crawled around another other hendos to compare.

We bought the boat like this. I believe when they changed the pole to this from the articulating pole they did add a few inches to it but im not positive on that because ive never crawled around another other hendos to compare.

Do you use standard Henderson 30 spinnakers or bigger?

One neat thing about Luke's boat is that they have twin tack lines and twin masthead spin halyards.

We run the same doyles as kevin runs on his boat. We can run two tacks but we never have. Does the standard rig really only have one masthead spin?

Yep, just one spin halyard

Thats surprising. Our boat is on its second rig at least the first one got taken off the boat at a mark rounding by an anchor of a big cruiser. They must have added it then along with putting running backs on the rig again.

Yep, just one spin halyard

Thats surprising. Our boat is on its second rig at least the first one got taken off the boat at a mark rounding by an anchor of a big cruiser. They must have added it then along with putting running backs on the rig again.

So, the first mast didn't have runners? What was the name of the boat when it was purchased? I know of 4 Henderson 30 that were built with swept back spreaders and no runners. They also had thicker rudders. I believe Slippery when wet was one of the names.... I thought the 4 boats were built for charters in the Caribbean by a European company....