• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
cajunkiwi

Henderson 30?

I am building a few sails for a Henderson 30 in Dana Point... we have two of them here...

Still recommend a FT-10 over a Hendo for light air big boat killing easy to say factors

We have raced flying tigers a few times now and in lite air they have never been able to touch us. Not sure if they were just not sailed well or what but we usually stay ahead of them.

Also build quality of a henderson imo is much better

Hull 116 now has a new home on Lake Champlain in New York.

Does anyone have any tuning guides, etc. to help us get up to speed?

Also looking for polar information in excel/csv format.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new boat to you!!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. This will be a big change compared to the J/100.

Any pointers or rig tune info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Hi sailtrmr,

I will dig into my files, I am sure I have a Henderson Tuning Guide and Polars somewhere.

Please send me a note here: http://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/contact-us-sales.htm

and I will follow up with you.

If any body knows about a Henderson 30 for sale, let me know.

Best,

Juan

Juan - call Matt Baldwin - just talked to him a couple of days ago and he does know of one that is for sale (but not listed)

Hi sailtrmr,

I will dig into my files, I am sure I have a Henderson Tuning Guide and Polars somewhere.

Please send me a note here: http://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/contact-us-sales.htm

Best,

Juan

Message sent. Thanks.

I'm afraid that I have not seen any others for sale. We are getting the one on yachtworld from PEI.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. This will be a big change compared to the J/100.

Any pointers or rig tune info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Call Doug Fisher at Ulman in South Florida. He used to import the boat to the USA and has the most time in the boat. I believe everyone uses his numbers. Send me a PM with your email address and I can send them to you.

Hi sailtrmr,

Best,

Juan

Juan - I know of a Henderson 30 for sale that isn't listed. Send me a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like our hull number is actually #22 (thanks Savage!). Does anyone have any information about the history of this boat?

I'm ready to travel. I hope we can put something together!

Hey guys, we are in the mood to sponsor Henderson 30 Nationals. Help us located them all so we can figure out the best venue for it.

Ready to travel?

Doing this again huh?

Well we have two in Dana Point California and one in Redondo Beach California. Also Hawaii and San Francisco.

Just but a beautiful main and 155% Genoa on one of the Dana Point boats ;)

We have had a lot of broaches during the years bit this one was the worst, it were actually 2 broaches in one. Just at the last gate at shore...... We made a wonderful gybe on sea before coming in where we kept planing full speed through the whole gybe.

I blame it the balls of the rudder bearing, they are probably square now. I was at the helm race before and the rudder got stuck sometimes at one side under pressure.

We even lost a runner out of the mast during the broach. I still hear the owner saying please guys don't sink the boat.... ehh yea we're on it...who the fuck put a figure knot in the tack line..... knife!!!! pffttt adventure hahahahha.

Hi sailtrmr,

Best,

Juan

So, the boat has been listed for sale...

Henderson 30 for sale."Red Stripe" formally "SOCA" has been refitted extensively over the past 2 years. This boat is turn key. Ready to go to any major regatta. The boat has a Melges 32 Rudder, Rudder Bearings, Tiller, stanchion knees, Fat Head main sail and along with a new Doyle Sail Inventory. Original Rudder, bearings and tiller included. Less then 1 hour to swap out to old rudder. Sealed motor well.

1997 Henderson 30

Year Built = 1997

MFG = Soca Sailboats

Model = Henderson 30

Material = Foam Core Vinylester Resin

Former Name = “SOCA”

Color = White gelcoat hull with Red Boot stripe and red graphics on stern third of boat. Deck is white/noskid awlgrip (2012).

Mast = Omohundro Carbon Fiber Mast

Bow Spirt = Tapered Articulating Carbon Fiber

Description = The boat was originally built for Paul Amon the owner of SOCA Sailboats. The boat was built with motor well sealed. The boat is also configured with rod rigging vs normal dyform rigging. The boat has a Fathead mainsail with split backstays. The boat has seen significant upgrades in the last two years along with an updated sail inventory.

CONSTRUCTION

The hull, deck and interior components are constructed using unidirectional, biaxial and triaxial glass fabrics, these are laid up using vinylester resin over Divinycell and Klegecell cores of varying thicknesses, in female tooling. The interior components are bonded into the hull with the hull while it is still in its mold, to ensure accurate alignment.

SPECIFICATIONS

LOA = 29.97'

DWL = 26.5'

BEAM = 9.84'

DRAFT DOWN = 7.00' down

DRAFT UP = 1.75' up

DISPLACEMENT = 3850 LBS

BALLAST = 1750 LBS.

SAILPLAN

I = 37.11'

J = 11.04'

P = 38.17'

E = 14.43

BSL = 17.75'

ISP = 42.26

The mast step, main bulkhead, keel truck and engine enclosure are mold in one monocoque part adding tremendous strength to the finished boat. The other interior surfaces are hand faired and finished with gelcoat, making the interior and bright and easy to clean.

The carbon rudder blade, composite tiller and Vara components are all molded in house to ensure the same high quality of finish.

The keel is cast with 4% antimonial lead over a stainless steel structure. Each keel is custom fitted in the boat, epoxy coated and faired to a 400grit finish.

The mast and bowpole are carbon fiber.

DESIGN

As a racing boat the Henderson 30 is unmatched. The sail plan allows total control in all conditions. The 1250 sf. masthead asymmetrical spinnaker, flying off an articulating bow pole, provides blistering downwind speed. A fractional spinnaker is available for close reaching in heavy air or for sailing with a less experienced crew. The 650sf. of upwind sail area and minimum wetted surface ensures light air performance often forgotten in sport boats.

The latest computer analysis programs have been used throughout the design to reduce drag at high and low speeds. A fine bow slices through chop and nasty waves. The patented VARA System (Variable Aspect Rudder Assembly) allows infinite adjustments in balance, control and rudder position, while the deep bulb keel and light carbon fiber mast minimize pitching.

The interior is kept clean and functional; there is a 'V' berth with integral crash bulkheads, two full size main bunks with full stowage beneath and two full size quarter berths. Other innovations such as the lifting keel and the removable 'V' hatch for manual stepping of the mast, allow for easy trailering and fast launching, one hour from driving to sailing!

Upgrades

Carbon fiber boom vang mount (2013) = Original vang was cast aluminum with stainless steel bolts to mount to the mast. The vang was affected by dissimilar metals and holes began to deteriorate.

Melges 32 Stanchion knee supports (2013) = This connects the Hull and Deck together under the stanchions to provide a very stiff stanchion for hiking.

Melges 24 Outboard Motor bracket for transom

Tohatsu 6 HP Long Shaft 4 stroke outboard motor (2013)

Advanced Boat Trailers custom aluminum I-bean Henderson 30 trailer (2013)

Mast & boom stripped and painted awlgrip jet black (2013)

Melges 32 Stern rail brace painted awlgrip jet black (2013)

Bowspirt clear coated (2013)

Bottom faired and painted with Interlux Baltoplate (2013)

Tacktic Wind, Speed, Depth and Race Master Compass (2013)

All New Running rigging in (2013)

Spin Sheets

Genoa Sheets

Tack line

(2) Jib Halyards

Spin Halyard

Traveler control lines

Runners

Backstay

Mainsheet

Main Halyard

Pole Articulation control lines

Vang control lines

Spinnlock Mainsail clutch (2013)

Hutchinson hiking straps for lower lifelines custom red color with spectra life lines (2013)

Harken cam cleats (2013) – All were replaced on boat

Harken adjustable genoa leads and track (2013)

Harken Carbo 75mm mast blocks (4) (2013)

Custom solar vent fan for inspection port (2013)

New Rhul Bilge pump (2013)

Solar Panel for charging batter (2013)

Lawn mower battery (2013)

Spinnlock Tiller Extension (2013)

Melges 32 Upper & lower rudder bearing (2014) = Redesigned to not flex under load like original fiberglass bearing. Bearing is made of Aluminum and G10. It is constructed with dual Torlon ball bearings from Harken.

Melges 32 Rudder,Rudder Envelop and Tiller (2014) = The envelop is custom built to work in the Henderson 30 for the refit. The rudder and tiller are carbon fiber. Both are finished in white gelcoat.

Lewmar Ocean Series 16 Self Tailer Runner Winches (2) (2014)

Lewmar Ocean Series 16 Self Tailer Cabin Top Winches (2) (2014)

Lewmar Ocean Series 40 Self Tailer Primary Winches (2) (2014)

Carbon fiber winch mounts (6) (2014)

FRD winch backing plates (6) (2014)

Carbon fiber spinnaker block chafe guards (4) (2014)

Main Halyard with lock (2014)

Chain plates resealed (2014)

Please email for sail inventory

$45,000 obo...

http://sailinganarchy.com/classifieds/show-ad/?id=1192

998030_648718878481107_692805635_n-Custo

1069892_648725708480424_1947454582_n-lar

Willing to drag boat from PNW....depending on location. There are (3) others here locally, for a total of (4) Always looking for additional tuning info......

Hey guys, we are in the mood to sponsor Henderson 30 Nationals. Help us located them all so we can figure out the best venue for it.

Ready to travel?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like our hull number is actually #22 (thanks Savage!). Does anyone have any information about the history of this boat?

If this boat came form the east coast of canada, I was part of the crew that sailed it. I really enjoyed the boat.

Thanks in advance.

If this boat came form the east coast of canada, I was part of the crew that sailed it. I really enjoyed the boat.

The boat came from PEI. It was called Casper....now Polar Express.

Thanks in advance.

The boat came from PEI. It was called Casper....now Polar Express.

I'm no good at this, we are trying to encorportate the polar diagram into the graphics:

post-18181-0-44921300-1406648931_thumb.jpg

That is the boat.

It came from Florida before hand and I believe it was demo boat when it was there.

What spinnaker sheet set up are you using. The continuous sheet or the two sheet set up?

That is the boat.

It came from Florida before hand and I believe it was demo boat when it was there.

What spinnaker sheet set up are you using. The continuous sheet or the two sheet set up?

We are using two sheets for now...lots to learn.

Do you know what the name of the boat was before it went to Canada?

That is the boat.

i don't know but i will ask the person who owned it in the next couple of day.

We used both the single and the two sheet. I preferred the single spinnaker sheet just because is was less end of line in the cockpit which had lots of line in it and when you whipped out the line stayed in the boat.

I was amazed at how responsive the boat was to the lightest of puffs.

That is the boat.

We used both the single and the two sheet. I preferred the single spinnaker sheet just because is was less end of line in the cockpit which had lots of line in it and when you whipped out the line stayed in the boat.

Our wind this summer has been stronger than normal...we have not yet been able to take advantage of the boats light air capabilities.

It's been tough going trying to compete with our local J111 in the 10-12kt wind range so far, but we are getting closer.

Went from an olson 30 to that boat was a major leap in sailing for the crew.

Sailed mainly against farr 30's, which the boats a very close in PHRF.

That is the boat.

Our wind this summer has been stronger than normal...we have not yet been able to take advantage of the boats light air capabilities.

It's been tough going trying to compete with our local J111 in the 10-12kt wind range so far, but we are getting closer.

How many people are you racing with and what size Genoa are you using?

That is the boat.

How many people are you racing with and what size Genoa are you using?

We have been a bit lighter than we would want...generally been 5-6 crew. We have been using the number 2 and been a bit over powered.

The main is quite deep.

The boat loves crew weight....need 8 at least..... 3 200+lbs guys will help...... what size is your #2? 145 or 135%?

We have not measured it, but I would guess that it is a 145.

with the correct amount of crew weight you should be using the 155 into 10-12kts.... talk to Bill@VT Sailing Partners.... he can change gears really well in the boat...

We talked to him extensively a couple of weeks ago. He is making a new backstay/runner system for us.

We have noticed that he has at least 2 feet more mast rake than we have, so a new forestay will probably be comming over the winter.

Headstay length measured from the center of the pin to the top of the t-ball fitting should be 38 ft 11 3/4"

also check the mast butt placement....

The mast butt is as far forward as it can go unless there is a second set of screw holes under the plate that we can't see.

Not sure why we are so short, but we will need to figure something out. A toggle may give us a couple of inches, but that will not be nearly enough. We are thinking about a short wire pennant as a short term fix.

Looks to be in decent shape...anyone know the hull number or name?

The boat was never raced. Doesn't have a trailer, just a shipping cradle. The boat doesn't look like it was used much at all, but certainly could use some refitting... I hope it generates some interest :-)

116 was Speed Racer, then Beautiful World, then I don't know. Original hull damaged by a tornado in Tampa and replaced with newer one.

121 now Double Down, at DIYC in Tampa.

116 was Speed Racer, then Beautiful World, then I don't know. Original hull damaged by a tornado in Tampa and replaced with newer one.

121 now Double Down, at DIYC in Tampa.

We have a bunch of sails with 116 on them, but our hull number appears to be 122.

Sounds about right, the boat sailed as 116 for years after the hull was replaced. I don't know what happened to the original hull.

I think I saw one one of these threads that Gardyloo is #116.

Another one.

St Pete NOOD, 2004. New Wave in back.

Is that actually 116 or the new hull?

We still have the matching orange genoa.

New hull.

Thanks for the info...I had not been able to find any information about our hull.

Are you sailing on a Hendo now?

Sailing on 121 - Double Down. Did last season w/ non overlapping headsails and finished second, PHRF nixed the rating credit for that so we're building a 155 and going back for at least one more season. I personally believe that the boat is far better with the genoa.

Sailing on 121 - Double Down. Did last season w/ non overlapping headsails and finished second, PHRF nixed the rating credit for that so we're building a 155 and going back for at least one more season. I personally believe that the boat is far better with the genoa.

Lake Champlain typically has light winds. The light air performance was the main reason we chose the Henderson.

Did you get the headstay fixed?

Our local sailmaker/rigger is working on a solution now. Hopefully we will have something in a few days.

Did you get it fixed? Saw you had some high winds a few weekends ago... did you race?

Did you get the headstay fixed?

Our local sailmaker/rigger is working on a solution now. Hopefully we will have something in a few days.

Did you get it fixed? Saw you had some high winds a few weekends ago... did you race?

Unfortunatly, we got it fixed after this weekend. It was a big struggle in 20+ all weekend with the short forestay. On Tuesday, however, we were able to stay under control with the No. 1 up when we got hit with a 17+ kt squall.

So, are you starting to get used to the boat?

Yes. We are doing much better. Upgrades and mods every week, so we have not been able to duplicate settings too much yet.

The forestay fix and new backstay and runner set up from Bill at VT sailing are going to make a huge difference. Unfortunately we only have a couple of weeks left in our season to continue the learning process.

I few photos of Greg's (former) boat. Pick up at Jacksonville Port (properly timed to around 2013 Rolex 24 hour race,) new trailer, cosmetics/repairs, launch to end of season haul out 2013.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111408290330374345844/albums/6115874846352587105

You lost me at the Lotus Cortina!

Has anyone ever thought about putting swept back spreaders and doing away with the runners on a Henderson 30. This would require going to a non-overlaping jib and maybe a bigger mainsail.