cajunkiwi

Henderson 30?

I found a new sail built for a different boat, but has very similar rig dimensions...we just need to figure out if it will fit.

I would recommend getting one designed for the boat, vs getting one designed for another boat and making it work. The Henderson is a different beast on it's own...

Looks to be in decent shape...anyone know the hull number or name?

The boat was never raced. Doesn't have a trailer, just a shipping cradle. The boat doesn't look like it was used much at all, but certainly could use some refitting... I hope it generates some interest :-)

What refitting do you think it could use? I am interested in this boat.

The boat was never raced. Doesn't have a trailer, just a shipping cradle. The boat doesn't look like it was used much at all, but certainly could use some refitting... I hope it generates some interest :-)

All of the hardware looks original.... 19+ years old.... not sure of the bottom or what type of paint.... interior looks like a screen was added to make the port-a-poddy more private. Rudder bearings look original... deck looks original just like the rest of the boat...

Boat is $10k-$20k overpriced especially without a trailer, new sails or fared bottom....

All of the hardware looks original.... 19+ years old.... not sure of the bottom or what type of paint.... interior looks like a screen was added to make the port-a-poddy more private. Rudder bearings look original... deck looks original just like the rest of the boat...

Boat is $10k-$20k overpriced especially without a trailer, new sails or fared bottom....

Thanks- boat is alll original. What is the best option if the rudder bearings are shot? Otherwise gelcoat looks good and so does the deck. Bottom needs to be faired and probably redone.

Thanks- boat is alll original. What is the best option if the rudder bearings are shot? Otherwise gelcoat looks good and so does the deck. Bottom needs to be faired and probably redone.

If bearings are shot, recommend switching to Melges 32 bearings....looking at $5k for upper and lower bearing plates, then you need to retrofit your rudder and rudder cassette (between both bearing plates)

No hardware needs to be replaced? Winches aren't slipping? Clutches are fine? Running rigging? Sails? Electronics?

At the end of the day this is a race boat, so you need to look at all of the above.

My boat I replaced all of the winches, Melges 32 rudder bearings, Melges 32 rudder, stock rudder, stock bearings, all deck hardware replaced, clutches, running rigging, deck was resprayed, mast and boom painted, added stanchion knees (Melges 32) , new tacktic electronics along with new trailer, new sail inventory.... the boat was turn key and didn't sell in the $40s....

What TWS do these boat plain at?

18-20 knots you'll be in semi displacement mode and break hull speed. 22-25 for full on planing. This all depends on sea state. If you're in swell you'll start surfing in 15. Pretty similar to any other planing keel boat.

Are there any Henderson 30's near CT? We are interested in speaking to a current owner and perhaps seeing if we can go for a sail. Anyone nearby?

Are there any Henderson 30's near CT? We are interested in speaking to a current owner and perhaps seeing if we can go for a sail. Anyone nearby?

I'm in Michigan...............Come on by. I'll take you for a sail:)

Send me a personal message and will answer all of your questions!

there are two in boston - I can get you in contact with the owners if you're interested.

Need some info!! My boat computer crapped out with all my info and someone borrowed my spinnaker sheets. What size and how long are the Hendo 30 spin sheet? I'm guessing 10 mm x 80', stripped 10' on the ends. Can someone confirm or correct.

THANKS

10mm is a bit overkill...........

You don't even use 10mm on a 7.5t 40 footer..

I'm having a disagreement with one of our new crew members about runner tension in light air.

How much runner does everyone recommend for winds <6 and 6-10 kts?

Do any other Hendo owners still have the check stays on their boats? Did they help much or just create more of a hassel?

Secondly I have a couple tunning guides from Ullman dating back to 2009, I was curious if other owners are following the recommend shroud tensions, mast rake, and forestay lengtth.

Lastly we are the new owners of former Gardyloo now "Short Bus"!

Do any other Hendo owners still have the check stays on their boats? Did they help much or just create more of a hassel?

Secondly I have a couple tunning guides from Ullman dating back to 2009, I was curious if other owners are following the recommend shroud tensions, mast rake, and forestay lengtth.

Lastly we are the new owners of former Gardyloo now "Short Bus"!

We never used them on our boat. We used the Ullman tuning guide numbers from Doug Fisher. We had rod rigging so we had to tweak the numbers a little.

What does the interior look like? Can't seem to find a photo anywhere.

There isn't much below it is very spartan to the fullest diffinition! You should be able to do a google image search for Henderson 30 and a picture should be available... might even be of Savage's old boat.

Me and my crew are thinking about doing Charelston Race week this upcoming April. It would be great if we could see a few more Hendo's on the starting line!!

Southern Cross check out my photo gallery I just posted a picture or two of what it looks like below.

It is a very clean raceboat. Spartan, but comfortable. Kind of like a Farr 30. Working on our Hobie 33 makes me jealous of how nice the Henderson was that i did some day labor on a few years ago. Shiny, finished-off, etc. Not bare fiberglass/rough areas that can attract mold, etc.

Southern Cross check out my photo gallery I just posted a picture or two of what it looks like below.

Saw that. Thanks. The bulkhead/ring frame looks like it's 10" wide? Nice boat. What mods are you doing to the H33?

Me and my crew are thinking about doing Charelston Race week this upcoming April. It would be great if we could see a few more Hendo's on the starting line!!

Are you all still thinking about coming down to Race week this year? When are you thinking about moving the boat down here? Any interest in coming down a month or two sooner?

Ned Goss '02

College Of Charleston

Dock Master & Offshore Sailing Coach

Office 843-216-8450

Sail Calm, Sail Confident, Sail For Fun...

Are you all still thinking about coming down to Race week this year? When are you thinking about moving the boat down here? Any interest in coming down a month or two sooner?

Ned Goss '02

College Of Charleston

Office 843-216-8450

Yeah we are still looking at coming down for race week. We were planning on taking the boat down a day or 2 in front of the event. Why should we take the boat down a month or two sooner?

If you didn't notice, there's one for sale in the classifieds right now.. unfortunately.

If you didn't notice, there's one for sale in the classifieds right now.. unfortunately.

Bummer... Hope it goes to a very warm and loving home! Haha, still looking to see if any other Hendo owners want to do Charleston! It would be cool to see an invasion once prolific one design class.

I hope to be stealing/barrowing one here shortly. not sure what races I want to do with it. but... as long as I take care of it. feed the sailmakers and use the boat. I should have some fun

Always willing to travel to race other Hendo's........But Charleston dates probably won't work due to work.

Bummer... Hope it goes to a very warm and loving home! Haha, still looking to see if any other Hendo owners want to do Charleston! It would be cool to see an invasion once prolific one design class.

Always willing to travel to race other Hendo's........But Charleston dates probably won't work due to work.

soOOoooOOOoooo lets organize a hendo race :)

How about st pete noods?

How about st pete noods?

I'll see ya guys there! :D

When is the St Pete Noods and how many Hendo's would we need to get our own start?

I'm not to sure on how class legal my boat would be considering we oversized our main by a bit to try and keep up with the Farr 30's a bit better. Would we use class rules or just let any Hendo in to get max participation? Just thinking out loud here, I might be able to convince my crew to go elsewhere if we know we could race some other H30's!

St. Pete Noods are Feb 12-14. Not sure of official number of boats needed for class but have seen them run classes with 5 boats in the past. The last couple of years there has been a local doing the nods in phrf. I currently am planning on racing a 7.9 at St Pete, but if there was interest I could drag the hendo their. Regarding configuration, St Pete has phrf classes. We could just race within a phrf class if we were going to have different configurations. Or, I could loan you a main, or we could help you cut your main, or you could race with a number 2 Genoa instead of a 1. The possibilities to equalize are endless. I know my crew would be happy if I took the hendo so more of them could come.

When is the St Pete Noods and how many Hendo's would we need to get our own start?

I'm not to sure on how class legal my boat would be considering we oversized our main by a bit to try and keep up with the Farr 30's a bit better. Would we use class rules or just let any Hendo in to get max participation? Just thinking out loud here, I might be able to convince my crew to go elsewhere if we know we could race some other H30's!

St. Pete Noods are Feb 12-14. Not sure of official number of boats needed for class but have seen them run classes with 5 boats in the past. The last couple of years there has been a local doing the nods in phrf. I currently am planning on racing a 7.9 at St Pete, but if there was interest I could drag the hendo their. Regarding configuration, St Pete has phrf classes. We could just race within a phrf class if we were going to have different configurations. Or, I could loan you a main, or we could help you cut your main, or you could race with a number 2 Genoa instead of a 1. The possibilities to equalize are endless. I know my crew would be happy if I took the hendo so more of them could come.

Like I mentioned before I will start talking with my crew and see what they are willing to do... maybe we will do both, however very doubtfull. We do have a class legal main however it has seen many a better day. It would need some rework as it's our "heavy weather main" haha and ends up getting reefed and flogged alot... infact about a month ago we were doing a regatta where we didn't see below 20kts of wind an entire day! Needless to say we are now an A2 short haha!

Hendo30chick would you guys be willing to drag your boat down? If that is the case and Eerie you drag your boat down that would be at least 3 hendo's and I know of another one in NC that might be willing to travel to race a group of hendo's. That could be a total of 4 with the potential of a 5 boat that is local... starting to look promising!

The over sized main is the same one in my profile picture. The previous owner had this main made about 2-3 years ago. You can really see the difference in the top of the sail and a little bit in the trailing edge. I was told they maxed it out as much as they could without taking a penelty. Out here on the Chesapeake they already kick us straight in the nuts for just calling the boat a hendo... They still gave us the standard PHRF rating for the bay which is 42 and yes we do have the oversized main on the rating cert.

I raced against gardlyloo when that main was built for that boat by a friend of mine. I seem to remember him saying that they maxed out the class dims while still staying legal? Give Alex @ BS a shout - very knowledgeable dude.

Question for Hendo owners. How mobile is the boat? What ways can it be lifted? How is the keel lifted? Dry sailing? Mast stepping?

EastCoastHustle,

The boat is super mobile with a lifting keel, it sit's nicely on the trailer. Their are two diffenet positions for it to fit on the trailer. One is with the keel retracted to about 2-3 feet and the other is with the keel all the way retracted up with the "bulb" against the bottom of the boat. Once the keel is retracted via a winch (we have an electric one, which makes lifting the 1750 lbs alot easier) there are cam shells that go around the keel to keep it in place while on the trailer.

The keel as mentioned before can be lifted via a hand craked winch or an electric winch that connects up to a battery. Once the boat is in a stable area with not a lot of chop you remove 4 bolts that secure the keel in it's down position. There should be a couple of poles and a funny looking backet thing with the boat, the poles are placed vertically into the big holes in the floor boards (this keeps the poles from sliding around when under load) then place the bracket ontop the poles and place through the hole in the v hatch (this is the specific setup for our boat as we only retract the keel so that there is only about 2-3 ft of it remaining outside the boat). Then just pull up the keel. I have seen people use boat hoist crains to do this as well instead of putting together the entire system that I just described to you.

Lifting the boat is pretty simple since it only weigh's 3850lbs (orginal spec most probably weigh a bit more now...) it can be lifted by most club crains. There are two padeye's inside the companion way that one connects a lifting strap too. There also needs to be a line run from the bow back to the lifting straps to keep the boat stable and mast away from the crain. We haven't done this much as we don't have any of those lifts down in my area, so we have to use a boat yard which is so great... not really.

Mast stepping is pretty damn sweet on this boat. Since the boat has a removable v hatch one simply removes this guides the butt of the mast down into the boat letting the rest of the mast rest on a board across the stern pulpits connect the spin halyard to the sprit tack line, put on a couple guiding lines just for giggles and then crank it up. After a little practice you can have the rig up pretty quickly compared to having to use a crain and all.

I'm sure the boat would be killer is sailed dry, but we don't have that option avaiable to us. So we simply wet sail it most of the year, it get's pulled and burnished when needed. Otherwise we have to dive it at least once a week prior to racing to keep the growth down and get rid of the shaggy carpet that the chesapeake bay loves to produce in the summer.

And that's all I have to say about that.... :wacko:

I raced against gardlyloo when that main was built for that boat by a friend of mine. I seem to remember him saying that they maxed out the class dims while still staying legal? Give Alex @ BS a shout - very knowledgeable dude.

MCsailor,

I have talked to Alex a bunch, their target was to max out the NW PHRF code for the main and not max it out per the Class rule. So the main would be illegal per the class rules...

Boat is easy to travel with. Page 1 of this thread has several pics about trailering and rigging. We ramp launch, single point and travel lift the boat in and out of the water. We step the rig with a portable gin pole and have also done it unassisted. We also have an electric keel hoist that is pretty easy to use. We lift the keel a dozen times a year. The boat trailers well behind my chevy 1500 getting about 10.5 mpg.

Question for Hendo owners. How mobile is the boat? What ways can it be lifted? How is the keel lifted? Dry sailing? Mast stepping?

ECH, where are you? There are a couple of Henderson 30s on Lake Champlain if that is close for you to take a look. I could put you in touch with the owners.

Jason

Thank you for the detailed replies, have sailed on one a few time and I can see it being a rocket in heavy air.

The boat is absoulty a rocket in heavy air. One race we were push 17+ kts until a big shift hit us and blew out the kite (after a georgous wipe out on our part)! The one thing I will say is in any air above 20kts you need crew who know what they are doing and know where to keep the weight on the boat!

Ned Goss '02

College Of Charleston

Office 843-216-8450

Yeah we are still looking at coming down for race week. We were planning on taking the boat down a day or 2 in front of the event. Why should we take the boat down a month or two sooner?

It depends. We host a College Big boat regatta Feb 13-14 and we are looking for boats that might be interested in participating in this event. give me a call and I can discus with you further if you are interested and want more information. It would also give you and your crew more time to sail here in Charleston plus CORA http://www.charlestonoceanracing.com/puts on local races that we would love to see you all in.

Thank you for the detailed replies, have sailed on one a few time and I can see it being a rocket in heavy air.

The boat shines in the light stuff. With overlapping headsail and large SA to displacement. The medium air can be challenging, but once you reach planning wind speed you can do quite well, Like any sportboat medium air displacement mode is its weak spot.

Like I mentioned before I will start talking with my crew and see what they are willing to do... maybe we will do both, however very doubtfull. We do have a class legal main however it has seen many a better day. It would need some rework as it's our "heavy weather main" haha and ends up getting reefed and flogged alot... infact about a month ago we were doing a regatta where we didn't see below 20kts of wind an entire day! Needless to say we are now an A2 short haha!

Hendo30chick would you guys be willing to drag your boat down? If that is the case and Eerie you drag your boat down that would be at least 3 hendo's and I know of another one in NC that might be willing to travel to race a group of hendo's. That could be a total of 4 with the potential of a 5 boat that is local... starting to look promising!

Well guys after much talking with my crew St. Pete's won't work for us. Charleston is looking like it is going to support my crew's work schedule a little bit better. Hopefully we can get another hendo or two to show up.

Question to other hendo owners.... Has anyone replaced the bow pulpit with something similar to a Farr 30 or Melges 32 pulpit? I feel that the standard Hendo one kinda eats up kites everytime you prefeed out the tack! It really doesn't lend itself to a great prefeed no matter how much you tape it up and try to cover all the potential snag points.

Well guys after much talking with my crew St. Pete's won't work for us. Charleston is looking like it is going to support my crew's work schedule a little bit better. Hopefully we can get another hendo or two to show up.

Question to other hendo owners.... Has anyone replaced the bow pulpit with something similar to a Farr 30 or Melges 32 pulpit? I feel that the standard Hendo one kinda eats up kites everytime you prefeed out the tack! It really doesn't lend itself to a great prefeed no matter how much you tape it up and try to cover all the potential snag points.

I had no issues with pre feeding the spinnaker.

I see the Hendo thread is about to drop off of page one. Here's a bump to keep it around.

post-161-0-40067000-1452733373_thumb.jpg

Check out the crew. One guy is really focused and keeping his head out of the boat.

Classic!!! Making sure no one is to windward right!!!

Hey there Hendo lovers and haters :) if you want to see some video's of the Hendo putting in work swing by our facebook page "Short Bus Sailing". I have posted some vidoes of our most recent exploits.

https://www.facebook.com/shortbussailing/

Eerie Sailor I have a question for you regarding rig tune... how far is the back of your mast from the back of the fiberglass mast step? Me and my crew have been really working on trying to find the right placement for the step and I think we are getting closer to where the tuning guide suggest (Ullman Tuning Guide), but I am curious where you like to have yours.

Finally after doing now 2 J70 regattas (Key West and now Annapolis NOODs) I am convinced that we need to some how get all the Hendo's out there together and have ourselves a classic 1D race!! Think about it, it would be like seeing a heard of Wooly Mammoth walking down the street all of a sudden!!! :o

Cheers!

I'll get you my measurement tomorrow. Checked out your FB page. Looks like you are having some fun with the boat. Regarding getting some hendos together... I've always been game for that. We just need someone with the mojo to get everybody committed. My sailing calendar is getting full for this year, but if somebody puts something together, I'll be in heir if the date is open.

Hey there Hendo lovers and haters :) if you want to see some video's of the Hendo putting in work swing by our facebook page "Short Bus Sailing". I have posted some vidoes of our most recent exploits.

Eerie Sailor I have a question for you regarding rig tune... how far is the back of your mast from the back of the fiberglass mast step? Me and my crew have been really working on trying to find the right placement for the step and I think we are getting closer to where the tuning guide suggest (Ullman Tuning Guide), but I am curious where you like to have yours.

Finally after doing now 2 J70 regattas (Key West and now Annapolis NOODs) I am convinced that we need to some how get all the Hendo's out there together and have ourselves a classic 1D race!! Think about it, it would be like seeing a heard of Wooly Mammoth walking down the street all of a sudden!!! :o

Cheers!

How was the boat in charleston with wind and waves? Compared to the melges?

I'll get you my measurement tomorrow. Checked out your FB page. Looks like you are having some fun with the boat. Regarding getting some hendos together... I've always been game for that. We just need someone with the mojo to get everybody committed. My sailing calendar is getting full for this year, but if somebody puts something together, I'll be in heir if the date is open.

I will offer that if you can get at least 5 to show up for the ONE regatta (www.oneregatta.org) in Marblehead in August, we will give you an OD start. There are already two in the area...

Cheers!

Hawk,here is a couple pics of my mast step. Haven't moved it much in years. We might have to re-visit it this year since we have a new main from a different sailmaker. I like the idea of the Hendo being the Wooly Mammoth of sport boats. Kind of fits:)

post-161-0-94565400-1462926519_thumb.jpg

post-161-0-15271600-1462926545_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

How was the boat in charleston with wind and waves? Compared to the melges?

It was pretty brutal outside the harbor! If you can get the boat balanced and keep her from pounding over the waves she does pretty good. We are still new to the boat and so we played it pretty conservitive on our up wind and downwind sail plan in that sea state. We were seeing ~17 KTS SOG with our little kite up during practices (inside the harbor, wind was in the 20's and seas were about 1-2ft). In the one race offshore upwind we were on our numbers with a #3 and reefed main and downwind we went wing on wing with the same combo doing 11 KTS SOG dead toward the mark (winds were 20-27kts and seas 5+ ft; like I said played it conservative). I think the Hendo and Melges 30 are pretty well matched up. Cougar was a well crewed boat and they were much more ready for the blow that we saw in Chucktown. I really wish we would have been able to race on Sunday and get a better head to head comparison, but our runner winch said that it had enough and wouldn't work and we all know that the runners are the key to upwind speed on this boat! There is always next year and this time all winches and hardware will be more throughly vetted prior to racing (rookie mistake)!

I will offer that if you can get at least 5 to show up for the ONE regatta (www.oneregatta.org) in Marblehead in August, we will give you an OD start. There are already two in the area...

Well I'll talk with my crew and see if they would be down for traveling north in August. Currently we have Screwpile our local regatta in middle of July and Sting Ray Point Regatta around the beginning of September. We might be able to get it to work logistically, but vacation time might be hard to come by... I will for sure follow up with the crew. If the bus makes it up that's 3 and we would just need 2 more boats to commit. What would it take for others to travel their boats? Looking for feedback here!

I'm also toying with the idea of Key West 2017, then move the boat to Charleston for the next race week. Our 2017 schedule is pretty open and we are open to suggestions on where to go and how we can get the class to stand back up!!

Cheers,

Cheers!

Hawk,here is a couple pics of my mast step. Haven't moved it much in years. We might have to re-visit it this year since we have a new main from a different sailmaker. I like the idea of the Hendo being the Wooly Mammoth of sport boats. Kind of fits:)

attachicon.gifmaststep1.jpg

attachicon.gifmaststep2.jpg

Thanks for the pics, that was almost where we had the step to begin with, but then after talking with Doug Fisher on the phone he suggest to move the step more aft and get the back of the mast about 1.43" from the back of the fiberglass mast step. We have done this and it has taken some adjustments to get this measurement. The only issue I'm seeing at the moment is that the safety strap that pulls the mast into the partners pulls it a bit more forward creating a larger pre-bend. The rake is less which helps the weather helm of the boat for sure (I have noticed the helm is much more centered than previous in our normal modes), but now seems like we might just have to much pre-bend. We have only sailed about 3 times with this new set up and sadly with no other hendo around and 3 different days of winds we can't really be certian that this setup is better than the old. I'll keep you posted if you really care to know. I'm sure you guys have your boat pretty dialed in...

Cheers!

Hawk,here is a couple pics of my mast step. Haven't moved it much in years. We might have to re-visit it this year since we have a new main from a different sailmaker. I like the idea of the Hendo being the Wooly Mammoth of sport boats. Kind of fits:)attachicon.gifmaststep1.jpgattachicon.gifmaststep2.jpg

Thanks for the pics, that was almost where we had the step to begin with, but then after talking with Doug Fisher on the phone he suggest to move the step more aft and get the back of the mast about 1.43" from the back of the fiberglass mast step. We have done this and it has taken some adjustments to get this measurement. The only issue I'm seeing at the moment is that the safety strap that pulls the mast into the partners pulls it a bit more forward creating a larger pre-bend. The rake is less which helps the weather helm of the boat for sure (I have noticed the helm is much more centered than previous in our normal modes), but now seems like we might just have to much pre-bend. We have only sailed about 3 times with this new set up and sadly with no other hendo around and 3 different days of winds we can't really be certian that this setup is better than the old. I'll keep you posted if you really care to know. I'm sure you guys have your boat pretty dialed in...
Every time we think we have the boat dialed in we learn something else. It makes sense you are seeing more pre bend moving the step back. Doug F was pretty dialed in to these boats back in the day. He probably has lots of good advice. Are you dealing with to much helm? If so check your forestay length and your rudder rake. We sail the. Boat with the head of the rudder pushed all the way aft.

Cheers!

Hawk,here is a couple pics of my mast step. Haven't moved it much in years. We might have to re-visit it this year since we have a new main from a different sailmaker. I like the idea of the Hendo being the Wooly Mammoth of sport boats. Kind of fits:)attachicon.gifmaststep1.jpgattachicon.gifmaststep2.jpg
Every time we think we have the boat dialed in we learn something else. It makes sense you are seeing more pre bend moving the step back. Doug F was pretty dialed in to these boats back in the day. He probably has lots of good advice. Are you dealing with to much helm? If so check your forestay length and your rudder rake. We sail the. Boat with the head of the rudder pushed all the way aft.

We are just trying to get the boat dialed in to where it wants to be.... Our rudder rake is set just like yours, all the way aft. Our forstay is a bit shorter than what I think it needs to be, the biggest issue that I am having with the Ullman tuning guide is that we can't get the suggested forestay leght. It needs to be at least 5" longer than what it currently is which I would think would add a ton of rake into the mast. What is the forestay length you guys have we were at 38'10" now with the mast step movement aft we are at ~38'7". The guide wants you at about 38'11" for the forestay lenght. The only other way I can think of making the measurements work is to add a larger stackup onto the partners. So maybe stack up a .5" of rubber on the front of the mast this would reduce the pre bend and also keep the rake a little lower.

I just mesured Family Hour's last night. The base of the mast is 4 1/4" from the back of the step to the back of the bottom of the mast block that fits in the track. We will have the mast out of the boat in a few weeks so I could re-measure if you want then.

The original engine in our Hendo has died...Is there anything out there that fits in the well without any modifications to the cradle?

The original engine in our Hendo has died...Is there anything out there that fits in the well without any modifications to the cradle?

We have a 9.8 Tohatsu standard shaft that replaced our original engine with a 4 bladed prop. Pushes the boat pretty darn well. They had to put in a new control box for the engine, not sure if they can just wire in the new outboard to the old controls.

Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? What year? The boat owner says he tried a new Tohatsu 4 stroke and it will not fit.

It's a 4 Stroke 2010. It is a really tight fit but it does fit. You have have to rotate the engine to get it to fit but it does fit once you get it in. You have to lower the cradle about half way down then twist the engine at a 45 degree angle off centerline then lower in and twist back to centerline. You may have to do a little bit of small cutting around where the looking mechanism fits to the boat but that should be it.

Can also use the propane outboard.... works well with limit ventilation the motor well has...

mine was on the transom....

On Family Hour we put in a Nissan 9.9. We used the same controls as the Johnson but had to switch out the turn key. There was a slight mod we had do do to the mouning brakcet to get the engine to fit. The Nissan and the Tohatsu are the same size. The Merc is a bit larger and would not fit even but it was the same engine, just a different housing. This weekend I will see if I can find the notes on this as I got it in a previous post here.

Sorry it took so long. I found the doc and here it is.

First it is for the Nissan or Tohatsu 9.8.

1. Shave 1/2" x7" wide frome the aft 'lip' of teh well (This is the edge that the engine well hatch closes on).

2. Shave 1/2" from the aft edge of the engine mount bracket.

The engine fits right in. I cannot remember if we just measured 1/2" exactly but we had the engine on a 6 to 1 pulley tied to the boom so we only ground off what we had to. We used new engine wiring but the same linkage cables.

Another thing we did is, we raised the outboard plate at the bottom a bit so we now can just about fully lower the motor and the keel can be raised for ramp launching.

Hope this helps.

Any Henderson Owners out there thinking of racing Key West? With the new way they are doing things I think the Hendo would be racing under and ORC class, not sure if that is good or bad.... Anyway was curious if anyone else was thinking about it I'm working on our logistics at the moment or better yet trying to understand all the pieces that would need to come into play!

Calling all Henderson 30 owners... Short Bus (sail number 122) is registered for Key West Race Week 2017!!! It would be great to get some more hendo's down south for the January race!

Hey, does anyone out there have a list of all the Hendo's in the country, there location, and owners? It would be great to get a forum together about the boat and upcoming events that peeps are thinking of doing.

Short Bus is getting ready to participate in a data collection study for the different rating rules out there, the hope is to validate the types of ratings that are being spit out by VPP's. With having just competed in an ORC event I think that the sport boats may be a bit punished if competing against Cruiser Racers. Anyone else interested in the progress of the validation just hit me up here on Anarchy or check in on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/shortbussailing).

Here is a little picture to get everyone out of the deep dark cold weather depression....post-110152-0-92400900-1486656476_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Hawk

S/V Short Bus

Update on the data collection study: Yesterday we have officially had all the measurements taken for the mast, dimensions, moments and weights (mast came with a weight at 60 kg and cg about 4.5 meters from the boom goose neck). Everything is coming together in the next couple of weeks we should have the inclination measurements and freeboard measurements completed to officially be considered a measured boat. The time trials we be starting sometime at the end of April, after that point we should hopefully get some good data to look at and compare against the rating system. I will update at that point on how things are looking for the mighty hendo!

Short Bus has signed up to do Charleston Race week again. The race committee has decided to host a "small ORC class and a large ORC class". We will be in the small ORC class and have the privilege of racing inshore rather than offshore. I believe the little 9.8 motor will be a lot more happy with this commute to the race course. Love to see some other hendo's enter the event!!!

Cheers,

Hawk

S/V Short Bus

Hopefully it will find a loving home!!!!

So I know that this has been brought up before and figured I could drum up a little conversation on the thread, but thoughts on going to non-overlapping headsails?

It could be done and leave the runners in place and set the non-overlapper to the tracks next to the cabin house or you could also get away from the runners by getting more swept spreaders and build a new chain plate gusset in the boat to allow for more sweep and rig support. You could then feasibly get rid of the permanent backstay, go square top and mast head runners, by doing this you bring the center of effort back to where it was with the genoa and standard "big" main.

You may lose a little light air performance but the boat could be a little more fun and a little cheaper without burning through Genoa's because of bad tacks and such.... just food for thought!

(I bet we can get at least 4 people to say then buy a farr 30 and maybe 2 or 3 say buy a melges 32... :blink:)

So I know that this has been brought up before and figured I could drum up a little conversation on the thread, but thoughts on going to non-overlapping headsails?

It could be done and leave the runners in place and set the non-overlapper to the tracks next to the cabin house or you could also get away from the runners by getting more swept spreaders and build a new chain plate gusset in the boat to allow for more sweep and rig support. You could then feasibly get rid of the permanent backstay, go square top and mast head runners, by doing this you bring the center of effort back to where it was with the genoa and standard "big" main.

You may lose a little light air performance but the boat could be a little more fun and a little cheaper without burning through Genoa's because of bad tacks and such.... just food for thought!

(I bet we can get at least 4 people to say then buy a farr 30 and maybe 2 or 3 say buy a melges 32... :blink:)

Hawk, Paul Amon built a few boats like this. The problem is rig would need to get taller like what Melges did with 32 for conversion from 30.

Hawk, Paul Amon built a few boats like this. The problem is rig would need to get taller like what Melges did with 32 for conversion from 30.

Yeah that is what Glenn has stated in conversations with me, they mainly did that for the Caribbean boats as there wasn't really the need for a genoa down there. I'm not totally convinced you would need to get a bigger rig, though it would certainly help. Glenn seemed to think that the boat would actually perform a little better without the genoa as you could get a light code 1 on an inhaul system and point like crazy! Thinking off the top of my head if you increased rig height you might have to increase sprit length otherwise you aspect ratio for the Kite will starting getting a little out of wack, but I'm not a sail designer. I have toyed with the idea of trying to find a Farr 30 code 1 that isn't shot and not crazy expensive to do a case study with (might need a little moding to fit the I measurement and J). I know the Farr 30 we used to sail against in the light up wind was still a tough boat to get in front of!