• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
cajunkiwi

Henderson 30?

On 9/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, sailtrmr said:

We are looking to replace the faded Henderson 30 logos on our Hendo during the off season.  Does anyone have a jpeg file of them?

I thought I heard that if you reach out to SOCA they might have some still laying around the shop, but that was just something I heard through the grape vine.

On 9/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, sailtrmr said:

We are looking to replace the faded Henderson 30 logos on our Hendo during the off season.  Does anyone have a jpeg file of them?

I snapped a pic of the old ones with a measured length and height and my graphics guy cranked some out.

IMG_20170930_104423.jpg

Happy New Year to you all as well!!!

Anyone got their Hendo signed up for some away regattas?

Thought Id bump the thread a bit,

I'm looking at buying the hendo that is sitting in Seattle at the moment, I was wondering if anyone could provide some in site into this specific boat it used to be called Kaizen. 

If I buy it she will be homed in Vancouver Canada altho Id love to take it to key west eventually and play with of you on the east cost. At the moment looking to get the boat kitted for ORC and PHRF NW. 

I'm just curious if anyone can provide any in-site into if (As show in pic) there is water ingress into the boat thru the top of if the large amounts of sunlight seeping thru the hull are a sign of worry?

Many thanks

6394985_20171009120622360_1_XLARGE.jpg

• Like 1

Quite a few boats have sunlight coming through the hull deck joint...if you want to know for sure and not just hear pointless speculation. Hire a surveyor...

Bring it WIRW. Usually at least one hendo in what was the Super 30 fleet (hendos, ft10s, Farr 30s, and a one off j90x). Regarding your question, daylight through non cored sections I personally wouldn't worry about. Rust below or a soft spongy deck I would very much worry about. Hiring a surveyor is good advice, unless the price is cheap enough you don't care.

On 2/5/2018 at 4:12 AM, skylineracing said:

I'm looking at buying the hendo that is sitting in Seattle at the moment, I was wondering if anyone could provide some in site into this specific boat it used to be called Kaizen. 

If I buy it she will be homed in Vancouver Canada altho Id love to take it to key west eventually and play with of you on the east cost. At the moment looking to get the boat kitted for ORC and PHRF NW. 

I'm just curious if anyone can provide any in-site into if (As show in pic) there is water ingress into the boat thru the top of if the large amounts of sunlight seeping thru the hull are a sign of worry?

Many thanks

The hull /deck joint is solid glass. Not much to go wrong here. The coring starts below where the sun shines. If you look closely all the deck hardware is installed in solid glass areas.

I've sailed on that boat some,  and sailed with its owner a lot.  It did do Pac Cup in 2012, and otherwise has been sailed very little since coming to the PNW.  I believe it came to the PNW in 2011, formerly called Reach Around from Dana Point, CA.  The owner is a good friend, and the most honest guy you could ever have the pleasure of meeting.

Here's an ad from when it came to the PNW.  Other than probably needing some cleaning it's in excellent condition and has always been dry sailed.

http://www.luxuryatch.com/1997-henderson-henderson-30-wtrailer/

The hendo is a great 30 footer, the boat you are currently looking at is the one that convinced us to buy one! As with any 20+ year old sport boat there will be some little things here and there, but so far we have very little issues with ours and we have been racing it hard for the last 3 years in conditions from 0 - 40 kts... (The upwind above 30 kts is not the most fun... that's why its good to be the driver, 6 people in front of you to block the water). Your concern about the water in the boat... the boat is a very wet boat as there are alot of holes in it. Some of it can simply be fixed by re-bedding the hardware as we have done, but the big culprit is around the mast and the V-hatch.... you're just bound to get water into the interior. We will routinely take about a half 5 gallon bucket of water out of it a week here on the east coast as it is super humid in the summer and we only have some damp raid containers in the boat (don't worry sails are not kept on the boat, if they were we would be running a dehumidifier). Just something we have added to the pre-race routine. As Eerie mentioned that is all monolithic glass on the hull to deck joint as well as below most hardware locations, ours has the same thing going on there.

Since the class is not very active anymore we have changed our sails quite a bit from the class size, increased the main size a bit (which allowed us to take some of the rake of the mast out) and decreased the A2 size by about 100 sqft or so. We are currently looking at potentially adding a A1.5 to the setup as the A2 is not the best reacher. The boat seems pretty well balanced in a blow now and very maintainable on plain (A5 is our heavy weather kite in 22+). The older designed kites just seemed to be to big for us to really get the boat dialed in. Super happy with how the boat is running now! We also pinned (no longer wiggles back and fourth) the sprit to center as it gave us 3 sec a mile back on our rating, we actually like this setup now as it makes extending and retracting the pole much simpler. We also added a kite take down system that helps get the big kite back in the boat in about 8-10 seconds from full up to put away rounding the mark. All these setups allowed us to be very competitive in the ORC system. I will say pay the extra coin and get the international cert. We had a club cert for KWRW and an international cert for CRW, we went from 618 GPH to 632 GPH or something close to that just because of the actual measurements. Club assumes you have the best everything like righting moment, etc. If you look at the ORC sport class from CRW 2017 you can see the hendo is competitive with even the new sport boats!

Our target weight that I would recommend trying to sail at is around 1250ish lbs. For us this means 8 up and we have found that even in the light with 8 on the boat we are still much quicker than most of our class. I'm sure that you read through this thread the boat likes the weight to keep on its feet. Also in planning condition downwind crew should be hiking behind the driver is possible, that helps a ton.

All that to say if you like the boat and don't mind a little elbow grease to clean it up, and maybe tighten some bolts, they are great boats!!! I'll be happy as any other to share any info as other have with me, just let me know!

Cheers

Edited by Superhawkathan
Answering another question that was not addressed.

On 2/5/2018 at 1:12 AM, skylineracing said:

Many thanks

If you are considering a 30 ft sportboat for Vancouver, you might look at a Farr 30.  There are 7 in Vancouver, and 4 more in Seattle, so the one design racing is a big bonus.

9 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

If you are considering a 30 ft sportboat for Vancouver, you might look at a Farr 30.  There are 7 in Vancouver, and 4 more in Seattle, so the one design racing is a big bonus.

OD racing in Seattle in nonexistent. Glad you guys still have the momentum up in Vancouver, happy to see you guys are happy with the new boat.