Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xlot

Cascais - the races

Am listening to the GT and PJM commentary, and PJM is bugging the hell out of me. Each time something technical happens, GT states that it happened and PJM tells her to wait until after the mark rounding to explain it. Keep in mind, there's plenty of time until the rounding, so PJM keeps yelling about how exciting it is. GT is doing a great job explaining the technical stuff in very simple and quick sound bites.

Case in point, Spithill dials down on ETNZ. Genny notices the dial down, PJM yells about how exciting it is and tells GT to wait until after the rounding to explain it. Sorry, but after the rounding, people aren't going to remember the dial down. Feels like PJM just wants to hear himself talk.

Couldn't agree more. PJM should shut the fuck up. Let Genny do the commentating, she knows what she is talking about, says it precisely and briefly. Bloody PJM keeps saying stupid things like "That's the voice of Jimmy Spithill" at least 10 times now. Repeatedly trying to explain starboard advantage, etc. Useless.

By the way, tomorrow we will get to see 2 or 3 matches between ETNZ and OR-Spithill! Fricking awesome!

If you don't like PJM choose the other commentary

^+1

I was thinking the same thing.

A little excessive to suggest improvements for the kiwis given they are winning, but in both the match race and race 3 first marks they seemed to unfurl the gennaker too late, allowing spithill to carve downwind earlier and get an advantage. But the kiwis have better tactics on the way upwind, and sometimes downwind, by minimizing the number of tacks and gybes, and hence repeatedly passing spithill. But that pretty much removes all the old tactics of match racing, like covering, of which we've seem almost none.

By the way, tomorrow we will get to see 2 or 3 matches between ETNZ and OR-Spithill! Fricking awesome!

^+1

Can't get it to work on my machine. No matter which of the feeds I click I get the same one with PJM carrying on hopelessly about the best sailors in the world, fastest racing, amazing speeds, athletic workouts, etc, etc, etc. But I'll quit.

^+1

Can't get it to work on my machine. No matter which of the feeds I click I get the same one with PJM carrying on hopelessly about the best sailors in the world, fastest racing, amazing speeds, athletic workouts, etc, etc, etc. But I'll quit.

Sucks to be you! :D

If you were Cayard, as "guest sailor", how the hell could you possibly keep your mouth shut to avoid violating the rules? Man, I think I would have to put duck tape over my mouth.

What browser are you using? Chrome and FireFox 4+ work. I can't get it to work with IE8 or 9 which is a bit poor considering IE is the most popular browser.

What browser are you using? Chrome and FireFox 4+ work. I can't get it to work with IE8 or 9 which is a bit poor considering IE is the most popular browser.

Thanks. Need to upgrade to Firefox 4, it seems.

Coutts freaking SUCKS!!! How many times did he give the race back to TNZ? I can't believe he got biffed by Barker more than 4 times in one race.

The taniwha will take care of Coutts.

All the way from here to there.

Go to FF5

Coutts finally having a good race. Hutch owned the pre-start, but ever since, Coutts is showing he actually can sail a boat (like anyone with half a brain already knew)

Coutts finally having a good race. Hutch owned the pre-start, but ever since, Coutts is showing he actually can sail a boat (like anyone with half a brain already knew)

Some might say that its not that Coutts is that good but that Hutch is that bad

From the Twitter world:

AC34Races 34th AC Racing @ @olisouthgate Recommended browsers Firefox 4+, Safari 5+ and Chrome.

Anyone know the names of the "sailing commentary" commenters? Quite good... they actually ask the guy on the course about pressure and such...

Any idea why Coutts did not go under Artemis at the start. With speed they might have been able to get by then to leeward.

I thought the same

Any idea why Coutts did not go under Artemis at the start. With speed they might have been able to get by then to leeward.

apparently the Korea-Green Com race is being run now as well

I wonder why they decided to do that? The whole set up today, with the top 2 teams first, rather than last, like yesterday. Thinking it was better for the media, likely, to have the best first, figuring people might tune out? Condense the coverage? Bummer, I would have liked to watch the pre-race for that 3rd race.

The four people being rotated around are:

Peter Montgomery (NZL)

Rob Brown (AUS)

Genevieve Tulloch (USA)

Peter Rusch (USA)

The on-water guy is Geordie Shaver (USA)

I think there is one other voice that's GBR but can't be sure, since they are not reintroducing themselves with any frequency.

Can they filter out the helicopter noise from the onboard cams? Kinda kills the "just wind and water" sounds...

Posted · Hidden by GauchoGreg, August 12, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by GauchoGreg, August 12, 2011 - No reason given

By the way, tomorrow we will likely get to see 2 or 3 matches between ETNZ and OR-Spithill (if they can take care of their own business in the qualifying)! Fricking awesome!

^+1

A little excessive to suggest improvements for the kiwis given they are winning, but in both the match race and race 3 first marks they seemed to unfurl the gennaker too late, allowing spithill to carve downwind earlier and get an advantage. But the kiwis have better tactics on the way upwind, and sometimes downwind, by minimizing the number of tacks and gybes, and hence repeatedly passing spithill. But that pretty much removes all the old tactics of match racing, like covering, of which we've seem almost none.

I think, and I could be wrong, that both cases you are talking about they were the windward boat on the rounding, meaning they can't deploy at the same time the leeward boat does, you have to wait a tick or two. If you deploy ahead or at same time you will instantly be bearing down on them when they have rights. Many an F18 has gone over doing this ;-).

So tomorrow we have

AR vs ET winner vs OR-S

OR-C vs TK winner vs ETNZ

These are all sudden death. Both OR-S and ETNZ will have hard semi's.

OR-S should meet AR in the semi but it will be hard to call who ETNZ will meet.

Peter Montgomery (NZL)

Rob Brown (AUS)

Genevieve Tulloch (USA)

Peter Rusch (USA)

I think there is one other voice that's GBR but can't be sure, since they are not reintroducing themselves with any frequency.

Thanks for the details. So Geordie has calmed down a little, and was much better yesterday and today. I really like Genevieve, she's the best of the bunch. Then Peter Rusch and Rob Brown seem similar in their calm and intelligent comments. Peter Montgomery, I'm sorry to say, should really be dropped. There is simply no need for such over-the-top commenting. Maybe you could have a chat with him and try to calm him down? The second match race between Coutts and Hutchinson was much better as PJM left it mostly to GT to do the talking.

But kudos to the whole coverage team for upping their game each day, with improvements in the graphics, and the helicopters mostly staying high, giving a great panoramic view (and when they added graphics to that view it was the best). I look forward to upgrading my browser and seeing if the different feeds help tomorrow.

I think, and I could be wrong, that both cases you are talking about they were the windward boat on the rounding, meaning they can't deploy at the same time the leeward boat does, you have to wait a tick or two. If you deploy ahead or at same time you will instantly be bearing down on them when they have rights. Many an F18 has gone over doing this ;-).

Okay, thanks for that. In both cases the kiwis were indeed slightly behind and upwind. They just seemed to lose so much ground at that first mark each time, but obviously made it back up with tactics in the match race. Good job by them.

So tomorrow we have

AR vs ET winner vs OR-S

Who'da thought a month or two ago that we would be thinking that Team Korea is making an argument to possibly be the 4th best boat/team at this point? Great performance this week by them.

Looked like he was going to, probably crossed his mind then decided at the last second (too late) not to. It could have worked, but perhaps timing was off (you definitely don't want to be over early.

Still not a fan of the reach start for match racing, but hey, they are getting a lot better at it.

One of the sailing commentators (they really should let us know who they are with names on screen occasionally) had a very good point at the end of the second match race, in "no boundaries" match racing the game plan for artemis would have been to sail off to one side, very very very far once behind (last upwind leg) and force RC to come with him, hopping for a wind change, etc etc. With these boundaries, which I think could be a bit wider but generally like, that option is not there. It does however make them tack a lot more, more chances for mistakes, etc etc.

Love the sailing commentator feed, switched to the "normal person" feed to follow GT, but gave up and went back to the sailor feed to get away from Mr "THIS IS AWESOME, explain it later G".....

Now, if they could bring back the live comments section I would be the happiest guy in my office cubicle farm ;-)

So tomorrow we have

AR vs ET winner vs OR-S

Who'da thought a month or two ago that we would be thinking that Team Korea is making an argument to possibly be the 4th best boat/team at this point? Great performance this week by them.

Who'da thought that 49er sailors would turn out to be so good at helming ultra-fast cats - even better than Tornado sailors?

Peter Montgomery (NZL)

Rob Brown (AUS)

Genevieve Tulloch (USA)

Peter Rusch (USA)

Thanks for the details. So Geordie has calmed down a little, and was much better yesterday and today. I really like Genevieve, she's the best of the bunch. Then Peter Rusch and Rob Brown seem similar in their calm and intelligent comments. Peter Montgomery, I'm sorry to say, should really be dropped. There is simply no need for such over-the-top commenting. Maybe you could have a chat with him and try to calm him down? The second match race between Coutts and Hutchinson was much better as PJM left it mostly to GT to do the talking.

But kudos to the whole coverage team for upping their game each day, with improvements in the graphics, and the helicopters mostly staying high, giving a great panoramic view (and when they added graphics to that view it was the best). I look forward to upgrading my browser and seeing if the different feeds help tomorrow.

I warned you all what to expect when his name came up on the 'New voice of the AC' thread.

'Having a chat' will do no good at all - he's been doing the same thing for 20+ years, maybe he thinks people like it!.

The 2nd part, Kudos to the coverage team I also agree with - really well done

Amazing....abso-fucking-lutely amazing!! Its a kinetic game isnt it - keep boatspeed and energy up is the key. Not so much tight maneuver. You have to be way ahead of the boat given the speeds. And always, always keep the speed up and stay on the apparent. Stall once or fall off the apparent and you're toast. Helm and wing trimmer are key - they MUST work together to play the puffs into thrust, not heel. OR-S is very good, ETNZ - excellent, Artemis OK, and OR-C dont get it yet - but they will. Also watch for China Team - tho they got smoked today, Mitch and Charlie know what they are doing and will come on.

Beautiful stuff.......well done to all responsible.

PJ appeals to non-sailors. He makes them feel involved by asking question on their behalf and explaining, rightly or wrongly, whats happening. We all know he talks crap and makes us cringe. I think over the years of listening to PJ I have developed a PJ filter and can tune him out.

His 'the America's Cup is now New Zealands Cup' commentary at the end the finish of the last race in 95 was a great moment and well thought out. He probably should have finished on that note.

Sure is fun to watch FAST BOATS racing.

The athleticism and speed have really changed everything.

At speed, one small mistake and the lead changes. The tension is similar to low scoring games like hockey or soccer.

The AC45 race format is a lot of fun. The fleet races for seeding and then the match racing series. The short 20 minute races work in this format providing a lot of fast racing and results over a couple hours. Very entertaining.

at Twitter

Skipper's Press Conference at 1800 (GMT +1), will be live streamed! youtube.com/americascup

think the match racing was much improved when the wind is over 12 kts- seems like this is the break point where they will actually consider tacking anywhere other then the course boundries

At speed, one small mistake and the lead changes. The tension is similar to low scoring games like hockey or soccer.

The AC45 race format is a lot of fun. The fleet races for seeding and then the match racing series. The short 20 minute races work in this format providing a lot of fast racing and results over a couple hours. Very entertaining.

Totally agree, one thing I would love to see:

- With a close up shot of a particular crew during a manouver, show us the person's name, country and HEART RATE. Get us to know the sailors, not just the teams. Great stride towards this with the NFL like "team intro" before the match races, but lets use those on board cameras to show the "big guy's" expression as you show us his heart rate go through the roof as he hoists the gen or tacks or whatever....

Everything else, spot on! A kick ass app would let us pick and choose which camera + which audio we want to listen to... perhaps an iPad app.....

Back to real work...

Easy soluion, run virtual eye on the other monitor. You can see the roundings from any angle you like.

Did that today. Sport commentary on one side, VE on the other. VE was may 10 seconds ahead of the "live" view, so I could see the outcome of crossings before seeing them in the other window. All good.

Show sheeting angle like NASCAR & F1 displaying gas, brake, and gear.

Show bikinis' on beach or onboard.

at Twitter

Skipper's Press Conference at 1800 (GMT +1), will be live streamed! youtube.com/americascup

bump

http://www.americasc...-portugal/Live/

Newport announced!

Signed, sealed & delivered: June 23 - July 1

T-Hutch is thrilled

RW also announced that they have finalized dates (but did not name the venues) for iirc Jan/Feb, April and May events.

Newport announced!

Signed, sealed & delivered: June 23 - July 1

Did they also confirm the $5M venue money? :P

Did they also confirm the $5M venue money? :P

Have said it dozens of times: I don't care what venue money they agree! :P

Very please about Newport - totally cool.

http://www.americascup.com/en/Latest/News/2011/8/Sensational-six-qualify-for-Match-Race-Championship/

Six teams have qualified for the Cascais AC Match Race Championship on Saturday, following a day of close, compelling competition on the waters off Cascais.

On Friday, James Spithill and his ORACLE Racing crew won all three fleet races, but their good work was undone in the ‘all or nothing’ match race for first place, when Emirates Team New Zealand made a pass on the second lap of the course to secure the match, and victory on the day. It was the third consecutive day of scoring maximum points for the Kiwis, who now proceed directly to Saturday’s semi finals.

“It starts again tomorrow,” Barker said. “The last three days don't matter too much. We've learned a lot in both match racing and the fleet racing. It hasn't been smooth, these boats are challenging to sail well and if you make a mistake you get penalized badly, so it will be case of minimizing mistakes to keep sailing around the track.”

Spithill’s disappointment at losing the match race will be tempered by his second place seeding heading into Saturday; he also earns a bye into the semi finals.

“These have been some of the best match races I’ve ever done,” Spithill said.

contd

Strange, suddenly went 404, maybe to fix the headline (.. Final 2012 Cup Series Race). Anyway, Stuart A. writing from Cascais:

It was also announced that the 2011-12 series will hold its finale in the long-time home of the America’s Cup, Newport, Rhode Island with the regatta running from 23 June to 1 July next year.

The intervening two or three regattas have yet to be announced but talks have been held in Perth, W. Australia, Sydney and Auckland with an Australian venue currently more likely to be chosen.

On GreenComm is current Finn world champion Ed Wright, taking time out as Ben Ainslie had the sole place in Weymouth courtesy of having won the Sail for Gold qualifier in June. He expects to be with the team at the second regatta in Plymouth in September.

The change of discipline, from a heavyweight singlehanded dinghy to a high performance multihull is not as great, he says, as might be expected. “At the end of the day, sailing is sailing,” he says. “Our helmsman Vasilij Zbogar has a great feel for it. We are fast already. It’s just that we make mistakes.

“If it looks spectacular from the outside, it’s amazing on the boat as well, full throttle. We have only been in the boat for five days and we are really starting to get to grips with it and I think the whole event and project has taken sailing a step forward.

“The way they are presenting the racing is fantastic and on the day I was not sailing but watching I thought it was just great,” he added.

So, the 3 teams who missed the cut get to race in Sunday's "Cascais Championship winner-take-all" FLEET race which determines the winner of Cascais?? Ludicrous!!

So how do you think your all girl crew would do now. :lol:

So, the 3 teams who missed the cut get to race in Sunday's "Cascais Championship winner-take-all" FLEET race which determines the winner of Cascais?? Ludicrous!!

If I won any of these events, the Preliminaries, the 500 Speed Trial, the Match Race Series, or the Sunday "Cascais Championship" then that would be a feather in my cap.

ETNZ has already won both of the first two events, have a decent shot at the third, and as good a shot as anyone at the fourth. Chill :)

Agree.

I gues the upside would be its a chance for the lesser teams to be in front of the camera/crowd and provide exposure for present and future sponsors.

If I won any of these events, the Preliminaries, the 500 Speed Trial, the Match Race Series, or the Sunday "Cascais Championship" then that would be a feather in my cap.

ETNZ has already won both of the first two events, have a decent shot at the third, and as good a shot as anyone at the fourth. Chill :)

As much as I hate to say it, Indio makes a good point. Calling the winner of a single race, no matter crappy they may have been before that, particularly when the race is the same length as the one last Sunday, no longer, seems to be kinda weak. I would think this race could be a double-points deal, but still consider all the other racing up to that point. Come on, if Aleph (for example) wins the Sunday race, can anyone really consider them the Champion of Cascais?

Your spin is getting annoying.

Agree.

I gues the upside would be its a chance for the lesser teams to be in front of the camera/crowd and provide exposure for present and future sponsors.

Maybe that is the point. I don't like it, though.

The cats are exciting but they do not have the same presence as earlier AC boats. IMO they look too lightweight for the AC. There's not enough crew action but the match racing is excellent.

Maybe you think I care that you call it 'spin'? I don't :lol:

The concern by Indio seems to be over the (yes over-hyped) name ""Cascais Championship winner-take-all" and while it is over the top, am simply pointing out that there are multiple 'titles' to be won; and so even if ETNZ gets smoked on Sunday (unlikely, but then JS for example did have it going big-time today, taking all 3 fleet races..) then: They will have an excellent claim to have won the week - or some of the week, or possibly all of the week, almost regardless of what happens Sunday. Anyway..... Today's Recap video is just out:

Emirates Team New Zealand win the day, beating ORACLE Racing Spithill on 'cut' day at the AC World Series. Only the top six would advance to the Match Race Championship on Saturday.

Couldn't think of another place to ask this, but is everyone else noting that this board is hardly working smoothly today?

I wonder if the Cascais racing has upped the traffic on SA to the point the server is struggling. I would love to hear from Clean how their traffic is this week.

^ For me too, has been sticky on occasion. Almost 7k views of this thread since it was opened mid-Wednesday, it could be in part responsible.

--

Russell Coutts, James Spithill, Murray Jones, Matthew Mason and Dirk de Ridder post-race interviews.

The concern by Indio seems to be over the (yes over-hyped) name ""Cascais Championship winner-take-all" and while it is over the top, am simply pointing out that there are multiple 'titles' to be won

Nice try at turd-polishing, but you demonstrate a constant problem with the truth. There are no "multiple titles" to win: only one, the Cascais Champion, to be determined by one fleet race. They need to revise the entire format so that the results from the preliminary events are included in the overall results, with perhaps more weighting of the latter events. ESS have a good scoring system.

The concern by Indio seems to be over the (yes over-hyped) name ""Cascais Championship winner-take-all" and while it is over the top, am simply pointing out that there are multiple 'titles' to be won

Nice try at turd-polishing, but you demonstrate a constant problem with the truth. There are no "multiple titles" to win: only one, the Cascais Champion, to be determined by one fleet race. They need to revise the entire format so that the results from the preliminary events are included in the overall results, with perhaps more weighting of the latter events. ESS have a good scoring system.

Keep things largely as they are. I would have a match race champion, a speed champion, and a fleet champion. Give each a bone. Maybe the speed champion gets some points for both the fleet and match championship titles. Or not (problem is the limited control the teams have, given variable winds). Keep the match-racing arrangement as is. For the fleet championship, have double points for the Sunday race.

Problem solved.

Nice try at turd-polishing, but you demonstrate a constant problem with the truth. There are no "multiple titles" to win: only one, the Cascais Champion, to be determined by one fleet race.

There are four, count 'em if you can. ;) Nobody who understands anything about this sees the Sunday event as "winner takes all" - it's just a bunch of media over-hype. Having multiple events gives teams more feathers to put in their caps, "2nd in the Speed Trial", "4th in the Fleet Racing on Day 5" - etc. All good fun.

From here:

--

Sunday August 7th - Cascais AC Preliminaries

Cascais AC Open:

Fleet Race 4

The fourth and final fleet race of the AC Cascais Open. This is a longer race, scheduled to last approximately 40 minutes.

At the conclusion of this fourth fleet race, the winner of the AC Cascais Open will be determined based on the cumulative scores across the four fleet races.

The winner of each race will score 10 points, second place 9 points and so on, except the eighth and ninth place boats will both score 3 points (to reward finishers). Teams that don't finish a fleet race earn no points.

AC 500 Speed Trial:

The teams will vie for the title of fastest boat through timed speed trials over a 500-meter course. The crew that completes the course in the fastest time is the winner.

Monday August 8th, Tuesday August 9th - No Racing

Wednesday August 10th

Cascais AC Match Race Championship - Day One:

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday have identical racing programs.

The third stage of the competition pits the teams in one-on-one clashes to earn a place in a final showdown on Saturday. However each day will begins with three, 20-minute fleet races to seed the top six teams, who then face off in three match races (6th seed vs 5th seed; 4th seed vs 3rd seed; 2nd seed vs 1st seed).

Every day of racing produces a ranking of the full fleet. The results over the three days will determine the seeding order for the Match Race Championships.

Thursday August 11th

Cascais AC Match Race Championship - Day Two:

The third stage of the competition pits the teams in one-on-one clashes to earn a place in a final showdown on Saturday. However each day will begins with three, 20-minute fleet races to seed the top six teams, who then face off in three match races (6th seed vs 5th seed; 4th seed vs 3rd seed; 2nd seed vs 1st seed).

Every day of racing produces a ranking of the full fleet. The results over the three days will determine the seeding order for the Match Race Championships.

Friday August 12th

Cascais AC Match Race Championship - Day Three:

Saturday August 13th

Cascais AC Match Race Championship - Day Four:

On the final Saturday, the Match Race Championship will find the six best teams (as determined over the previous three days) battling through a Quarter Final, Semi-Final and Final to determine the Cascais AC Match Race Champion.

Sunday August 14th

AC World Series Cascais Championship:

This title is at stake on the final Sunday in a winner-takes-all fleet race, where all teams will have a shot at the title, regardless of results to date.

This is a 40-minute, adrenalin soaked, fleet race, designed to identify the best team under the pressure of a single race format.

--

Replay of the earlier-live Skippers Press con,

The nine skippers of the America's Cup World Series answer questions in advance of Saturday's AC Match Racing Championship Finals. Richard Worth, Chairman, Americas' Cup Event Authority joins the stage to make an announcement.

The cats are exciting but they do not have the same presence as earlier AC boats. IMO they look too lightweight for the AC. There's not enough crew action but the match racing is excellent.

Can I have a round of whatever he's drinking? :rolleyes:

Nice try at turd-polishing, but you demonstrate a constant problem with the truth. There are no "multiple titles" to win: only one, the Cascais Champion, to be determined by one fleet race.

There are four, count 'em if you can. ;) Nobody who understands anything about this sees the Sunday event as "winner takes all" - it's just a bunch of media over-hype. Having multiple events gives teams more feathers to put in their caps, "2nd in the Speed Trial", "4th in the Fleet Racing on Day 5" - etc. All good fun.

"Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second."

Bobby Unser

Bobby Unser

..and their sponsor?

Bobby Unser

..and their sponsor?

Valencia Challenge's sponsors? biggrin.gif

Good description of today's ETNZ vs OR-S match race.

Intro:

After trailing Oracle Racing 4 (James Spithill) by five points at the end of fleet racing Barker with Glen Ashby, Winston Macfarlane, James Dagg and Ray Davies engaged them in a tight, tense and thrilling match race to decide the day’s winner.

It was classic America’s Cup match racing just as it was in the monohulls of 2007 and before... a close start, close racing and tacks and gybes aplenty which put a premium on tactical decision-making. There was even a dial down and several lead changes.

continued

One of the interesting things to happen today was the running of two overlapping match races. Yesterday (?) some of the journalists put IM on the spot and questioned the format and the relatively few match races. They specifically asked about running more races and the possibility of a second course. IM said that that was technically impossible (at the moment) but he did not even suggest that they could run overlapping match races on one course. That seems to open up other possible formats with more match racing (round robins?) - I hope they consider this for the future.

from the results so far it would seem etnz are simply in a class of their own

it's early days yet, but if this were to stay the same through to the final

a 1 design AC series will have let us know the best AC sailors

a unique design AC final will show us the best designers and builders

somewhat mixed messages no?

or is that ok in this "everyone takes home a prize world"

the koreans get the AC prize for best 1st timers

the chinese for best graphics?

the french for most elan

oracle 5 for best showing by old sailors

oracle 4 the AC platter for most 1st places

etc etc

ad nauseum

So how do you think your all girl crew would do now.

They would do great just as they did in '95 cup. Lot of great female athletes out there.

So how do you think your all girl crew would do now.

They would do great just as they did in '95 cup. Lot of great female athletes out there.

Get your mind out of the gutter you despicable filthy old man!! We're talking AC45 sailing here!!!cool.gif

Getting back to the checkered flag waving at the finish; yeah, that is a little much, especially how big the thing is. Having the one as a line flag is OK, the checkered finish line is good to distinguish from the start line. But, having a gal throw her back out with that huge thing is over the top. Gun for the winner and horn for the others. I mean, its always about 'who takes the gun' for the first finisher.

The racing has been pretty good. Seems like CT, TK, ET can get a good start but then fade during most races. I think these are development issues that may improve with time and experience.But I think the bursts of speed and occasional good finishes does show potential for these teams.

Aleph is the one that is disappointing. Not that I expected them to be a top team, but at least to get a couple of good finishes and be in the hunt for a placing.

Cascais has been disappointing; the TP's were there and the breeze was much better over the series. Is part of the difference due to staying close to shore? I saw they went more outside yesterday into the breeze line.

(...)

Cascais has been disappointing; the TP's were there and the breeze was much better over the series. Is part of the difference due to staying close to shore? I saw they went more outside yesterday into the breeze line.

Exactly, like they had to go further out on Thursday after the embarrassing WMRT race that had to be abandoned soon. As a consequence they were as far out as the MedCup boats and could almost not be seen from shore anymore. Where is the difference then in spectator friendliness? Again, what makes a good sailboat race is not the number of hulls but the wind conditions and human power.

Hilarious from Coutts: "I feel a bit like a Farr 40 Owner/Driver out there after today."

they appear to be replaying Race 2 from Friday. Perhaps no wind?

Match racing starts an hour later than before. 3 PM local, 10 AM EDT. That press conference is great though - highly recommend it. Jimmy's started to crack jokes, Coutts being self deprecating, Loick making me laugh about the toblerones, Gautier explaining their downwind sails are garbage...

Anybody else think the taller blade jibs on the Oracle and Kiwi boats is an advantage over the squatter and shorter jibs on some of the others?