ColinG

Whatever happened to the Classe 950?

Manuard design Ply Kit was Cinq Sens now in Italy Race ReadyVettorato_950-760x361.jpg

sorry John Reekie...but also in uk/gb

ould you like to build a Classe 950 race yacht? Mould tools available from the NCC
Submitted by charlottemichael on Tue, 2015-12-22 12:41

In 2013, Rogers Yacht Design, commissioned by the National Composites Centre (NCC), developed a Class 950 yacht, a high performance offshore racing yacht for amateur and semi-professional sailors. The Classe 950 rules allow boats up to 9.5m long with an all-up weight of c.2700kg including the keel, rig and equipment, and offers an ideal stepping stone to honing single-handed skills for larger ocean races such as the Vendee Globe.

Class950%20Catia%20Screenshot.jpg?itok=S

The NCC developed and built production tooling for the Rogers’ design in epoxy infused glass fibre, comprising split concaved hull tools, and a deck tool. The project worked with SeaVentures and Demon Yachts, to make available a series-build tool set, rather than a one off plug, to encourage UK boat-builders to make a series of similar boats, compliant with the French Classe 950 rule.

The series mould tools are now open for wider industry use. Some work is required to put them back in production readiness, and tooling for client interior layout requirements will also be required. The offer represents a great opportunity for reduction of start-up costs for interested parties, and comes with a NCC SME support package.

If you are, or know of, a single-handed racer or a consortium with interest in building a 950 Series boat, then please contact Nigel Keen: marine@nccuk.com

The Giraglia is the next week. I only see 3 boats on the entry list (Pégasus, Cinq sens and Violon Dingue)
Are there any others boats who intend to do the regatta ?

Curious to see how the Figaro 3 will work out in price compared to a C950.

depends on the build. It seems that most of the recent classe 950s and those under construction are home builds, which to me seems to confirm be the main point of distinction between a Classe 950 and the Figaro. From what I understand, the Classe 950 is not aimed at those on the way up from minis to Class 40s and beyond, but more at the corinthian who wants a cheaper, easier to handle alternative to the Class 40.

Colin, you could be right. The lure of homebuilt is a strong one.

It makes sense to go from a homebuilt mini to a 950.

Not everyone goes class 40 as it might be too expensive for some skippers.

Blackbird sui 9 Back in Switzerland after 4 days in Italy for the 151 Miglia. 207 boats on the line including all classes.

With a running 36 hours 18 minutes and 40 seconds, a corrected time of 9 hours, 56 minutes and 31 seconds, the SUI 009 Blackbird occupies:
- 43rd place overall out of the 108 boats entered in ORC Class
- 11th place overall ORC3 in the class
- 1st place in the 950 class.

Thursday, June 2, 2016
Michele Zambelli in the sixteenth century: the E-Class (950) is thicker than water
unnamed%25282%2529.jpg

Pietro Boerio Secretary of the class 950 on the still ongoing regatta in the Adriatic and on the possibilities of 950. Illumia 12 is the third in the "2" behind Kika and Wandelust Green Challenge, which is a Class 40 and a Comet 45S. Michele Zambelli and Luca Tosi they are doing a great race to the sixteenth century to 2, and are followed very closely not only by staff and fans, but also by the Secretary (and President-elect) class 950 Peter Boerio.
Under the Flood of Livorno, where is leaving the 151 Miles, Boerio comments with us the evolution of the Adriatic race: "I'm enthusiastic about their race and their enthusiasm. They started very well and are showing how much is our class. When there is the 'Venton' do not fear anyone and run aboard this boat is really exciting. Zambelli has displayed in his first outing all the possibilities of the 950. With strong wind went fine also upwind and now is bringing Illumia 12 wonderfully well with winds slightly i. But we prefer without doubt the Venton, because this is a boat made ​​to run. The limit of our boats is perhaps in the middle. The average wind does not inspire. But you can not have everything. "

In this afternoon Illumia 12 is the third in the "2" behind Kika and Wandelust Green Challenge, which is a Class 40 and a Comet 45S.

"It took eight miles from the first, and three miles from the second. I would say that is behaving very well against much bigger boats. Zambelli and Tosi - continues Boerio - are also competitive compared to the boats in the crew. Three quarters of the race have only thirteen miles of separation from a war as Be Wild machine , which definitely points to win the Italian Championship Offshore. "
We also see the ranking of the" for all ": Give me Five guide, followed by Be Wild and Vaquita. They are not far away and Susak is still a mirage.

"As soon as he finishes his racing program in the Adriatic - concludes Pietro Boerio - Michele Zambelli should meet with all of our fleet in the Tyrrhenian Sea, at the Italian Yacht Club of Genoa where it started its adventure. This summer we sailed so much and yet so regateremo. We did the Rome to 2, then the Long Bolina and now we are here to 151 miles, returning from Capri, where we were guests of Rolex and the Yacht Club Capri for the Rolex Capri International Regatta. A beautiful experience, along with maxi, for which I would like to thank Rolex and say a word to the great humanity of sporting director Carlo Vuotto " .

There is also an institutional innovation: the Navy has determined that the 950 will be the reference class for the renewal of their fleet.
Thursday, June 2, 2016
Michele Zambelli in the sixteenth century: the E-Class (950) is thicker than water
unnamed%25282%2529.jpg

Pietro Boerio Secretary of the class 950 on the still ongoing regatta in the Adriatic and on the possibilities of 950. Illumia 12 is the third in the "2" behind Kika and Wandelust Green Challenge, which is a Class 40 and a Comet 45S. Michele Zambelli and Luca Tosi they are doing a great race to the sixteenth century to 2, and are followed very closely not only by staff and fans, but also by the Secretary (and President-elect) class 950 Peter Boerio.
Under the Flood of Livorno, where is leaving the 151 Miles, Boerio comments with us the evolution of the Adriatic race: "I'm enthusiastic about their race and their enthusiasm. They started very well and are showing how much is our class. When there is the 'Venton' do not fear anyone and run aboard this boat is really exciting. Zambelli has displayed in his first outing all the possibilities of the 950. With strong wind went fine also upwind and now is bringing Illumia 12 wonderfully well with winds slightly i. But we prefer without doubt the Venton, because this is a boat made ​​to run. The limit of our boats is perhaps in the middle. The average wind does not inspire. But you can not have everything. "

In this afternoon Illumia 12 is the third in the "2" behind Kika and Wandelust Green Challenge, which is a Class 40 and a Comet 45S.

"It took eight miles from the first, and three miles from the second. I would say that is behaving very well against much bigger boats. Zambelli and Tosi - continues Boerio - are also competitive compared to the boats in the crew. Three quarters of the race have only thirteen miles of separation from a war as Be Wild machine , which definitely points to win the Italian Championship Offshore. "
We also see the ranking of the" for all ": Give me Five guide, followed by Be Wild and Vaquita. They are not far away and Susak is still a mirage.

"As soon as he finishes his racing program in the Adriatic - concludes Pietro Boerio - Michele Zambelli should meet with all of our fleet in the Tyrrhenian Sea, at the Italian Yacht Club of Genoa where it started its adventure. This summer we sailed so much and yet so regateremo. We did the Rome to 2, then the Long Bolina and now we are here to 151 miles, returning from Capri, where we were guests of Rolex and the Yacht Club Capri for the Rolex Capri International Regatta. A beautiful experience, along with maxi, for which I would like to thank Rolex and say a word to the great humanity of sporting director Carlo Vuotto " .

There is also an institutional innovation: the Navy has determined that the 950 will be the reference class for the renewal of their fleet.

Cinquecento

The Cinquecento: sprint start of Illumia 12 and Be Wild

20160529_202931.jpg
Roberto Imbastaro

Finally a departure with the flakes to the sixteenth century of Caorle, with gray skies, rain showers and buckets of salt water. All topped off with a nice unusual sirocco wind sbeffeggiafa boats even with some closer to 30 than to 25 raffichetta nodes. It was not enough to deal with all the usual panty typical of summer regattas court, but a nice waxed was necessary. And maybe a couple of reefs.
Check manly, therefore, where they excelled two protagonists: Be Wild, in the crew, and Illumia 12 in doubles. Tears of emotion by the meteorologist Andrea Boscolo, but not for predicting apt (it usually takes), but to have finally seen, after so many years to an exciting start. However, the Atlantic disturbance that hit the starting area will not last. Therefore if Renzo Grottesi and his Swan 42 Be Wild will still have chances to win and continue the run-up to National Offshore Championship, for Michele Zambelli and Luca Tosi these are the hours of glory. Their 950 is a boat made ​​for the ocean, the wind and downwind. When you ascend the African anticyclone, not for them but for their credit rating, you probably will turn off the light.
Meanwhile, go upwind as well as splinters and are second to a mile from Green Kika leading in doubles.
In crew is ahead Give Me Five, followed by Trihoe and be Wild.

29/05/2016 18:08:00

Genoa Boat Show

GENOA September 25th CLASS REUNION 950 & PRESS CONFERENCE
In the prestigious headquarters of the Italian Yacht Club will meet on 25 September the Class 950.
Founded in 2013 by the partnership between Alessandro Bruno, Michel Bensoan, Francis and Peter Conforto Boerio scored an incredible rise in the following years is as fleet as interest, unfortunately, of Alexander tragic death has left a void hard to fill, but with ' commitment and collaboration of the most prestigious Italian clubs has managed to emerge and ask to attention as medium between the Mini 650 and expensive Class 40.

The participation of Pegasus (the Boerio owners and Comfort) in all major offshore races, less than 29 holdings, demonstrated the efficiency of the medium covering over 22,000 mn in three years and gaining the podium 15 times despite a rating to nothing short of challenging.

The achieved strong numbers, we decided to focus, at least for this year, the Western Mediterranean. The reference regattas are: Rome x2, 151 miles, Giraglia, Palermo / Monte Carlo and will be proposed to attach the Challenge Alessandro Bruno to Giraglia 2017.

Among the sailors who have chosen this class are distinguished Michele Zambelli who, aboard the Resolute and attend the next Ostar, then again Jacques Valente and Andrea Pendibene, athlete of the MM and Maurizio Vettorato who will present his new adventure Total Green Expedition, a ' experience that combines sailing, biking and cross country skiing. In this enterprise he will be accompanied by Omar Oprandi famous mountaineer and guide mountain rescue Trentino. In addition to this event it will also update of its possible participation in the next Ostar !!

The reunion of the Class 950 will also be a welcome opportunity to elect the new directors with relevant functions.

Middle Sea Race 2016 22 oct

ILLUMIA12 / Class950
763fb423991f271ecf06d8a795df919e.jpg

Entrant Name: Michele Zambelli

Race Event: Rolex Middle Sea Race 2016

Boat Name: Tenace

Entrant: Michele Zambelli

Boat Owner: Renata Mazzola

Boat Charterer: Michele Zambelli

Boat Skipper: Michele Zambelli

Yacht Club: Club Nautico Rimini

Sail Number: ITA12

Names of crew:
Luca Tosi

Year Built: 2013

Boat Type: Class950

Designer: Samuel Manuard

Builder: Alessandro Bruno

IMS GPH: 0.0

IMS PLT: N/A

IMS PLD: N/A

IRC TCC: 1.132

MORCA TMF: 0.0

LOA: 9.50

Hull Colour: Blue

Home Port: Rimini

Event Race Division Class Rolex Middle Sea Race 2016 Rolex Middle Sea Race IRC Class 4 Rolex Middle Sea Race 2016 Rolex Middle Sea Race IRC Double Handed Double Handed IRC

roup: Gipsy MothJesterLine HonoursOSTAR LineTWOSTAR Line VMG: From StartRecent These results are provisional - refer to the race website for official results.
All times in BST.
Pos Name
Handicap
Start time
Last pos received
DTF
Dist sailed
VMG (Est) Finish time
(Est) Elapsed time
Corrected elapsed  
IE
Bam
29 May 13:00
01 Jun 05:00
2432 NM
422 NM
6.0 knots 17 Jun 23:05
19d 10h 5m 37s
20d 3h 20m 21s  
AU
Mister Lucky
2452 NM
397 NM
5.8 knots 18 Jun 23:10
20d 10h 10m 15s
21d 3h 49m 1s  
IT
Illumia 12
2440 NM
410 NM
5.9 knots 18 Jun 08:27
19d 19h 27m 47s
21d 17h 6m 27s  
IT
Vento di Sardegna
2336 NM
546 NM
7.5 knots 14 Jun 02:29
15d 13h 29m 15s
21d 22h 59m 27s  
GB
Harmonii
01 Jun 05:01
2487 NM
376 NM
5.2 knots 21 Jun 04:07
22d 15h 7m 25s
23d 3h 4m 20s  
PT
Taylor 325
2479 NM
422 NM
5.3 knots 20 Jun 14:01
22d 1h 1m 59s
30d 0h 32m 35s  

Allesandro Bruno had a dream , design by Sam Manuard  then he built but unfortunately never saw this day in the Big Race..Thankyou Michele 

Alessandro Bruno.jpg

Is this the only 950 currently racing?

Interior doesn't look much like the racer/cruiser interior envisioned by the rules.  Contrast the Akilaria 950.akilaria950_interieur-carre_2197.jpg.8b8011062981d70a0cd66d5ddc445026.jpg

there is a new group up and running with the classe management passing over to   regates@classe950.com     

the italian navy is now actively putting training into the ranks using the  Classe 950 as the flavour boat  , with various other team prepping for the new Maderia Race as well as other races in the Med

Colin   there is a couple being built or designed in the southern hemisphere....  and a couple more local designers with study plans out at the moment...

There is one design with a elaborate but operable keel design ;  Fixed for Classe 950 races and a Canting keel for more races   Freds design is close to fitting out...so gets some idea of what others are doing .. better than hovering around the edge  speak with those designing and building them

2 minutes ago, Dartspeak said:

Thanks for the link. 

a rather sad sight, and after 5 months probably not worth saving. 

I wonder- how much headroom does class 950 have? im thinking on building one for myself for fast cruising and occasional regattas so i want to be able to stand inside

12 hours ago, pironiero said:

I wonder- how much headroom does class 950 have? im thinking on building one for myself for fast cruising and occasional regattas so i want to be able to stand inside

i'd say around 1,8m/6'

Minimum Headroom in Classse 950 rule is 1.8 metres (5'-11"). Most designers would customize to suit the client though.

729687134_DibleyClass950Headroom.thumb.jpg.631e818140c27a71b5f1a047924f961f.jpg

• Like 3

ive been searching for Class 950 content for last week or so and i cant seem to find any, is this class obsolete? Because i really want to build something of medium size and take a part in one design regattas but class 950 seems dead to me, am i wrong?

if so-do not hesitate to give me an advice on what should i build

base requirements are LOA about 10m ease of construction(same level as 950) and active racing community.

IRC prob makes more sense as you can sell boat later. 950 is kind of dead now as we have many racing classes already. 

A sleek IRC boat like Dix Dudley design. Not with flat chines and big ass stern but rather versatile all-weather one. 

4 minutes ago, troll99 said:

sleek IRC boat

can you please give me a couple 30ft examples or any links? I don't quite understand what does sleek IRC boat means

33 minutes ago, pironiero said:

can you please give me a couple 30ft examples or any links? I don't quite understand what does sleek IRC boat means

https://www.dixdesign.com/didi950.htm downwind typical conditions like 650, 950, 40.. huge ass

https://www.dixdesign.com/34didi.htm smaller version of 40CR. More versatile.. more suitable for Baltics.

Fast IRC boats like JPK, J-boats.. see pic below .. the old JPK 960

XBOAT your next boat

• Like 1