• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

65 by 32 with 3200 square feet of living space and nine bedrooms and yet only weighs five tons of which 700-800 pounds are screws.

Hmmmmmm.

Big Chicken - fair guess he has the voids filled with a lighter than water gas like say methane it keeps the ply from Homo Depot dry. LOL

Pix? Who designed it?

Umm This is what the builder said

"I spent three years on the design of this. I've looked at thousands and thousands of yachts."

He would have been better off just finding some place up in Butte County to park it probably would have been a nice house then again water space is free right?

those construction photos have all the makings of a train wreck in progress. anyone in the area want to take a closer look and report back?

He will probably just anchor in Richardson bay for a while as a free houseboat. First good winter storm will have him on the breakwater unless he has some serious ground tackle.

Perhaps he could grab some gear from the mothball fleet.

Marin County should collect all of his personal info now - so when they end up covering the recovery costs or clean up bill they know who and where to send the bill.

at least he's realistic

He doesn't plan on coming back.

the ocean puts out much stress per inch

The BIGer they come ....................................................

dude should have made it out of ferro cement

and designed it in the shape of a fish habitat

how about starting with an old navy barge / structure ??

862227_0_030820101644_1.jpg&w=250&h=149&t=1280882655000

110'

US Navy BARGE

• Year: 1945
  • Current Price: US$ 244,500
  • Located In Seattle, WA
  • Hull Material: Steel
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single Other
  • YW# 37464-1533966

at least you know it floated for the last 65 years so should hold up for a few more

+ should hold 3 of every kind of most anything you could think of

On a side note, what are the effects of chines on a multi?

When you're over at 40 degrees because you designed your own multi, and you got optimistic about your righting moment... The chines will help.

wtf1.JPG

wtf2.JPG

wtf3.JPG

wtf4.JPG

wtf5.JPG

Is it just me, or does that look like your standard pine 2x4s and interior grade plywood?

and seriously 700-800lbs of screws? SCREWS? This guy might have looked at 1000's of yachts - but it does not appear that he spoke to one boat builder

Pix? Who designed it?

Umm This is what the builder said

"I spent three years on the design of this. I've looked at thousands and thousands of yachts."

No, but I spent the night at a Holiday Inn...

Is it just me, or does that look like your standard pine 2x4s and interior grade plywood?

and seriously 700-800lbs of screws? SCREWS? This guy might have looked at 1000's of yachts - but it does not appear that he spoke to one boat builder

Residential building code calls for doug fir, not pine in them 2x4s.

post-20085-021956700 1315941635_thumb.jpg

post-20085-039901100 1315941636_thumb.jpg

post-20085-017414700 1315941637_thumb.jpg

post-20085-087590900 1315941637_thumb.jpg

post-20085-057498500 1315941638_thumb.jpg

LOL its seems his deck and cross beams are plysheet and extra long 2X4's also.

Is the deck between the hulls residential sheer wall spec? LOL Kinda looks like its not even sheer wall spec at that point in the pict.

Really I did not know that - Shit should I take back the pine 2x4 studs I bought at Menards?

Hell Doug Fir is used in wooden boat building all the time ...

The good news is that when the two hulls part ways because the bridge deck is made of two by fours and fastened with galvanized joist hangers, there will be plenty of flotsam for the survivors to cling to. That is one advantage of unballasted multihulls. Call it RAW FAITH, Mark II.

I guess this is what happens when a tract home builder is out of work for far too long. His framing and sheeting skills get turned into a live for free on the high seas idea. LOL

LOL its seems his deck and cross beams are plysheet and extra long 2X4's also.

Naah, those cross beams are 2x6s for sure. Much bettererer.

Besides, he's planning to encase the thing with a coat of fiberglas resin. What's to worry?

I saw the story in the paper today, looks like we have another "tincup" here in the bay, supposed to splash this month (sink?) I am a few miles from it so I will keep a eye out.

I guess this is what happens when a tract home builder is out of work for far too long. His framing and sheeting skills get turned into a live for free on the high seas idea. LOL

Lane said. Sixty-five-foot catamarans typically sell for anywhere from $500,000 to $2 million or more.

if he can get it insured for 1 month @ a $1,000,000 value he'll do way better than he ever could building homes

hope they don't load the family for the 1st shakedown out the gate

Wow. Just wow.

I wonder if anyone told him you can bend plywood??? Bob is right, that is quite the bow.

I'm amazed when people jump into projects like this without consulting experts. He's looked at thousands of yachts, but then ignored what he saw....

Has anybody ever seen the Mythbusters episode where they make the paperboat by freezing in wet newspapers? Deja vu??

I'm actually jealous of this guy; his complete ignorance of structural and marine engineering has lead him to work on this great dream. The rest of us wouldn't even start as we're too worried our home build cat wouldn't be strong enough (rightly so), meanwhile this guy is in ignorant bliss thinking he's about to embark on a life's journey. All we know is that it'll be rather shorter than he anticipated.

The cheap ply laminating process known as glue and screw just got cheaper.

No glue!

This could be a great winter project for SA.

The cheap ply laminating process known as glue and screw just got cheaper.

No glue!

This could be a great winter project for SA.

screw and uh.... screw?

Looks tippy.

On a side note, what are the effects of chines on a multi?

When you're over at 40 degrees because you designed your own multi, and you got optimistic about your righting moment... The chines will help.

:lol: I don't see that structure holding together long enough to get anywhere near 40 degrees.

I suspect the debris field will be considerably larger than most people's homes.

maybe he's just settin forms or building a Plug (a Pug-Plug) but plug none the less

Who'll be laughing if he fairs it out and makes a Plug - Mold & Pop's out some Carbon Wonder Homes

did it say anywhere that he intends to sail it ??

:unsure::blink::huh:

I saw the story in the paper today, looks like we have another "tincup" here in the bay, supposed to splash this month (sink?) I am a few miles from it so I will keep a eye out.

please do. i look to seeing how (if) she floats. the worst boat i have ever been on - bar none, row, motor, sail... was a cat i worked on in Cyprus. the Cypriots obviously thought that building a cat couldn't be that hard. they already had a couple of good Tahiti 75s in their fleet, and must've thought that could save a heap by building the next one. i doubt that they even used plans, the thing hardly sailed - like 5knots broad reach, 15 knots breeze. wouldn't sail with the wind fwd of the beam. motoring into anymore that 2' of chop it had to slow to about 4knots because it hobby-horsed so badly the bows and tramps'd go under... and don't get me started on their seamanship over there...

any how that's a rant i've wanted to get off my chest for a while, and seeing this cat brought memories back.

ahhhh, i feel a little less burdened!

post-51044-005917000 1315989424_thumb.jpg

"Meanwhile, Lane said he's busy preparing the boat for water and would welcome any spare parts residents want to donate"

Again with the donation thing?

"Meanwhile, Lane said he's busy preparing the boat for water and would welcome any spare parts residents want to donate"

Well I have an old washer and dryer (gas) that I can donate as well as an old gas stove ~ Hmmmm let's see I also have a few old windows that he can have...

Sometimes the only appropriate response I can come up w/ is just ....

slowly shaking my head w/ my lower jaw hanging open, a look of puzzlement on my face.

This is one of those times. Sheesh.

Yes: "Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand."

Yes: "Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand."

you answered "yes" but provided nothing to show they intend to "Sail"

with a proper anchor they can hold fast till the tide flushes out of the bay

with any luck make it out far enough to drift to all the places they want to go

perhaps an outboard w 1 tank of gas would get them to the currents & a sea-anchor could take over from there

I could find nothing about sails or rigging - did you ??

you answered "yes" but provided nothing to show they intend to "Sail"

with a proper anchor they can hold fast till the tide flushes out of the bay

with any luck make it out far enough to drift to all the places they want to go

perhaps an outboard w 1 tank of gas would get them to the currents & a sea-anchor could take over from there

I could find nothing about sails or rigging - did you ??

I did not.

Some use the verb "to sail" even where sails are not involved.

There is no mention of an engine, other than a small generator.

It may well be that he intends to float with the current, conveniently carrying him where he wishes to go, the soft waves of New Zealand gently lapping against his hulls, making fine music.

Well I have an old washer and dryer (gas) that I can donate as well as an old gas stove ~ Hmmmm let's see I also have a few old windows that he can have...

Maybe we should keep the donations Nautical.

I have an old Loran C recieving unit that just maybe I can part with....

Why wouldn't he be able to use the windows? I'll bet he's planning on LOTS of big windows.

HA ha the sad part is he would take it and install it and probably use it.

Seriously what could possibly go wrong, this guy has it all covered, I mean he has three "bathrooms" on the boat! :lol:

Somebody needs to take some pictures once launched, I am sure it will float for a while...

Hey, wood floats, doesn't it? We see lumber and sheets of plywood floating down the river every Spring. There's no keel or any of that extraneous garbage to make it sink, why wouldn't it float forever?

Oh, wait, I suppose he could have melted down those 700 pounds of screws into ingots to make ballast.

I'll keep my donations nautical when he makes something nautical to donate towards - you've never seen a washer or dryer in a house?

Why mess up the fun? I look forward to hearing from a few local SA types who keep an eye or ear out for the progress. That area is pretty small not much goes on without most of the town knowing about it.

I bet "Home Depot" would sponsor this guy in a heart beat........

Maybe a nice composite garage door, with belt drive opener...

It just occurred to me that this guy may actually be brilliant.

Here's the scenario. In the bay area you can't build shit on a lot without a major permitting process, zoning, hearings, inspections, the whole deal.

BUT, you can build a boat with none of that.

Call it a boat and live in your backyard or someone else's and you are all good.

Maybe it's not designed to float. All you need is the story. ;)

It just occurred to me that this guy may actually be brilliant.

Here's the scenario. In the bay area you can't build shit on a lot without a major permitting process, zoning, hearings, inspections, the whole deal.

BUT, you can build a boat with none of that.

Call it a boat and live in your backyard or someone else's and you are all good.

Maybe it's not designed to float. All you need is the story. ;)

See one of my first comments about simply keeping it in Butte County where they shipped it from to be close to the water. But yes in reality no doubt this guy is thinking water parking is free - fishing is free and no county inspectors checking building codes yeeee hawwww baby fire up the skill saw.

Short answer. No.

Case in point - they let Tin Can go.

Stand corrected, they did check Tin Can idiot, didn't they?

Look on the bright side, the launching 'll probably crush it. If not they'll just sink on the new mooring, at least they should be able to swim from there.

maybe he's just settin forms or building a Plug (a Pug-Plug) but plug none the less

Who'll be laughing if he fairs it out and makes a Plug - Mold & Pop's out some Carbon Wonder Homes

:unsure::blink::huh:

just went and looked at it, no its not a plug, it looks like a big plywood ark, does not look like glass but some kind of plastic type paint? I cant see how it will hold together in the open ocean or even the bay? its going to fun following it like back in the tincup days

the marina where the boat is loch lomond and its in the north bay, I used to keep my boat there but moved it because of the 2 mile channel out to deep water, its narrow with the tide flow on the beam, my 5.5 keel used to bottom out all the time because its really shallow surrounding channel and there is lots of shifting mud. he will never make it out with a tow or a decent engine.

Great vid - gives some nice close ups of the 'Master Craftsmen' work.

enjoy.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/6249763-massive-boat-building-draws-crowd-in-san-rafael/

Oh my goodness - the scantlings and joinery might be ok for a garage, but, the garage's foundation isn't heaving him up and down and twisting under him every 5-10 seconds. That thing will start falling apart the minute waves start moving under it!

If there's anybody close - the local CG office oughta come by and have a discussion w/the dreamer about the differences between marine and home construction. If the guy still insists upon goin' out - well, suicide isn't illegal.

the marina where the boat is loch lomond and its in the north bay, I used to keep my boat there but moved it because of the 2 mile channel out to deep water, its narrow with the tide flow on the beam, my 5.5 keel used to bottom out all the time because its really shallow surrounding channel and there is lots of shifting mud. he will never make it out with a tow or a decent engine.

And once towing commences.....the front will promptly fall off!

This guy has some ulterior motive (skirt the buiding permits). For the amount of money in time and materials one could go out and get this for $62,000 and live up on the Delta; fish, and maybe have a better chance of a charter. (at least it won't break apart upon launch).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2599353610.html

Great vid - gives some nice close ups of the 'Master Craftsmen' work.

enjoy.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/6249763-massive-boat-building-draws-crowd-in-san-rafael/

was thinking someone should have a talk with him

then I see in the video his Raider's hat

no reasoning with the Raider Nation

he should take as many fans with him as he can

as for some construction

any job-site today will have

a metric shitload or straps, shear-walls, hangers, anchor bolts & an overkill foundation to heep it all togeather

An interesting figure to know (and he doesn't)

would be the force placed upon different size / shape boats @ 5 miles offshore in different sea-states

using the scales of an earthquake measure

I'll bet he's looking at being the epicenter of better than a 7.0 quake force on his way out to 5 miles from the gate

however if he brings a generator, sawzall, ductape and some Opti plans he can still continue on his way

from the pieces set free with each swell

if he built this 6' X 30' and out of solid timber (Logs) he might have a chance

perhaps if he built it as a Dome-Home w 6" steal mesh reinforced Gunnite w no doors or windows ?????????????

although w $30,000 out of pocket invested if insured for $500,000 it is a good investment for a quick return (pun intended)

I've got 200' of galvanized 3/4" pipe, some 40'X80' tarps, and a shit load of that plastic Home Depot twine. Time to hand down to Loch Lemond and do some riggin'.

Didn't see any pictures of the interior. Please tell me he's using marine grade sheetrock.

well, suicide isn't illegal.

From which country are you posting?

In 99.9% of the world suicide is very much illegal.

SE - not bein' argumentative, but, can you point me to a statute? Killin' someone else, or even assisting someone else is indeed illegal, but, I'm not aware of any statute or precedent in which a person has been prosecuted for attempted suicide.

well, suicide isn't illegal.

From which country are you posting?

In 99.9% of the world suicide is very much illegal.

SE - not bein' argumentative, but, can you point me to a statute? Killin' someone else, or even assisting someone else is indeed illegal, but, I'm not aware of any statute or precedent in which a person has been prosecuted for attempted suicide.

And you definitely can't prosecute someone for a successful suicide... ;)

You can all laugh as much as you want, but he's done this kind of thing before...

post-180-077949900 1316107707_thumb.jpg

You can all laugh as much as you want, but he's done this kind of thing before...

post-180-077949900 1316107707_thumb.jpg

Bhyde - that looks like it might be a very telling photo - any chance you've got one that's higher in resolution than a thumbnail?

What? You can see the image? That's not suppose to happen. Must have forgotten to turn on the cloaking device, shit...

post-180-057291600 1316108647_thumb.jpg

You shouldn't be able to see this one either....

There are a whole lot of unanswered questions about this project in my mind. Most glaringly: Stucco, Shingles, or Aluminum Siding?

I know he’s a master craftsman, and his skill set is without dispute, but I think we all know that choosing the wrong finish and/or botching the application could really ruin an otherwise beautiful design.