U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

no metric plywood comes in sheets of 1219mmx2438mm so it still works fine for 8ft headroom

Why not?

They're not "nots" they're knots. And they're not Knots they're "voids". Do we need to bring up the plywood discussion/tutorial again?

no metric plywood comes in sheets of 1219mmx2438mm so it still works fine for 8ft headroom

Why not?

They're not "nots" they're knots. And they're not Knots they're "voids". Do we need to bring up the plywood discussion/tutorial again?

Apparently it's a lot more durable than most of us thought it was, knots (the wood kind) included

FB- Doug

There has been no rain at all this month there and none predicted. No rain means no wind. January and February are the rainiest months for the Bay. Instead it has been clear and mild with near record highs just about every day.

There is a high surf warning with breakers up to 20'! This won't affect the FH. Mavericks should be pumping.

Having 0" of rain in January might be an all time record in itself.

There has been no rain at all this month there and none predicted. No rain means no wind. January and February are the rainiest months for the Bay. Instead it has been clear and mild with near record highs just about every day.

There is a high surf warning with breakers up to 20'! This won't affect the FH. Mavericks should be pumping.

Having 0" of rain in January might be an all time record in itself.

And it may just keep getting worse:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2014/01/21/californias-driest-winter-in-500-years.html

and (quotes the same paleoclimatologist but has some added political info)

http://mavensnotebook.com/2014/01/22/news-worth-noting-paleoclimatologist-says-driest-year-in-500-years-legal-analsysis-of-drought-proclamation-a-primer-on-drinking-water-reorganization-input-sought-for-changes-and-global-warming-t/

Ok so I'm interested in this ignore button. Where do I find it? After seeing one person ruin such a great SA thread I'd like to place it on ignore myself.

Never mind. I found it. Instant relief!

There should be a rule that you can't use the Ignore function until you have 100 posts under your belt, at least one of which contains pictures of tits.

CyanistesCaeruleusWithForage.jpg

Tits are cavity-nesting birds, typically using trees. Good enough? I'll start working on my post count.

I see your Tits and raise.

Who likes Brown Boobies?

post-63290-0-93351800-1390495470_thumb.jpg

Ok so I'm interested in this ignore button. Where do I find it? After seeing one person ruin such a great SA thread I'd like to place it on ignore myself.

Never mind. I found it. Instant relief!

There should be a rule that you can't use the Ignore function until you have 100 posts under your belt, at least one of which contains pictures of tits.

CyanistesCaeruleusWithForage.jpg

Tits are cavity-nesting birds, typically using trees. Good enough? I'll start working on my post count.

I see your Tits and raise.

Who likes Brown Boobies?

1382901878872.jpg

one of the 10000 floatin things studied ? has a similar impact to the flyin whatever

post-19456-0-05505000-1390790218_thumb.jpg

Call. I see your beaver and raise 4 muffs

post-67933-0-45864000-1390839727.jpg

Call. I see your beaver and raise 4 muffs

attachicon.gifmuffs.jpg

Well played sir. Hmmm, White Trash Circus, related to Rico are you?

If Rico's from Kentucky, we're probably related. Hell most of us are cousins.

Sorry if I messed this... I can't find the Cliff Notes version of this thread.... but...

FH must have a holding tank 'event' coming up at some time, No??

what transpires? inquiring minds need to know.

There is a mobile pump-out service in the area. It might even be free to the boat people.

I was too busy drifiting out the Golden Gate on the tide this weekend to go take a look at the FH.

Sorry if I messed this... I can't find the Cliff Notes version of this thread.... but...

The Holding tank may actually be holding the FH up which case you could understand HR's concern for having the Holding tank emptied.

Whatever the situation with the holding tank, the phrase 'big heap of shit' will continue to be associated with the situation for the foreseeable future.

<sigh> I kinda miss the good old days of this thread when we were arguing about plywood grades and motorcycle parts--not to mention ankering techniques and the fate of lil'murray.

I miss HR.

If I were James Lane, I would make a point of staying away from this thread. The constant criticism would just wear me down to the point where it seemed like the only way out was to sell the barge.

I imagine things have sort of leveled out for the time being. Mild weather coupled with a permanent ankerage would leave him with time to address minor problems and possibly make plans for the more daunting problems.

I still check in here, waiting for the day that Flyin' Hawaiian goes mobile once again.

its whittlin weather. He's probably sharpening sticks ostensibly to ram into the rutter steering cable hole leaks in the the transoms, but Mrs HR is nervous. Her laser rifle sight batteries are running flat... Sooner or later, HR will notice the red spot on his forehead is gone...

I guess this is the right thread to admit that I bought some floor underlayment at Home Despot for use as cabin top core on an old boat that was given to me. Should be better than the black ooze it is replacing. Today I get to wield my grinder inside a small cabin. There will be a brief interruption to go talk to our accountant about taxes. Two of my favorite activities!

I need a fast forward button on my life.

FH and holding tank in the same sentence, haha that's a good one! :lol:

I guess this is the right thread to admit that I bought some floor underlayment at Home Despot for use as cabin top core on an old boat that was given to me. Should be better than the black ooze it is replacing. Today I get to wield my grinder inside a small cabin. There will be a brief interruption to go talk to our accountant about taxes. Two of my favorite activities!

will you be bringing the grinder to the accountant's? I have a similar procedure coming up, and I'm considering which power tool to bring. last year I just had a pry bar, and it wasn't nearly enough

will you be bringing the grinder to the accountant's? I have a similar procedure coming up, and I'm considering which power tool to bring. last year I just had a pry bar, and it wasn't nearly enough

Leave the grinder at home. Just bring beer.

Leave the grinder at home. Just bring beer heroin.

Lots and lots of heroin. There are some pains on which alcohol won't even begin to make a dent.

Leave the grinder at home. Just bring beer.

I'm screwed. My accountant is a black belt who chops concrete in half, and she's a Mormon. I'd just wind up hiring a proctologist to remove the pry bar and beer.

Well, it seems as though we must now await a major storm/wind event (or the sudden and carastrophic explosion of too-long sealed waste tanks) to re-engender some interest in this thread. It would seem that we were ALL incorrect as to

• The ability of this abortion to actually float for longer than ten minutes
  • The amount of CPE (or equivalent) used to waterproof the construction material (it IS still "floating", innit?)
  • The ability of a deck screw to continue to hold the construction material together despite the high seas encountedred in the transit to Hawai.... Oh. Wait. Sorry. nevvamind
  • The longevity of the many and varied sock puppets who tried manfully to defend HizZonner Da Bitah.

I still wanna know where he got the locomotive wheels!

Well, it seems as though we must now await a major storm/wind event (or the sudden and carastrophic explosion of too-long sealed waste tanks) to re-engender some interest in this thread. It would seem that we were ALL incorrect as to

• The amount of CPE (or equivalent) used to waterproof the construction material (it IS still "floating", innit?)
  • The ability of a deck screw to continue to hold the construction material together despite the high seas encountedred in the transit to Hawai.... Oh. Wait. Sorry. nevvamind
  • The longevity of the many and varied sock puppets who tried manfully to defend HizZonner Da Bitah.

Dunno but he said something about dragging them.

FB- Doug

A beaver eating a hot dog.

This thread's got everything and lots of it.

And yes, I'm sure it's a carrot...but hot dog is so much better. Leave me alone.

I loved the wanker puppets who went crying to the Modz

That I was takinh away from the Purity

Of this sugar free gummy bear quarantine latrine

Ok boo-day for the wankers !!!!!

I said long ago in this thread that it will stay together right up until it encounters waves under sail.

My theory has not yet been tested, but I'm standing by it.

I said long ago in this thread that it will stay together right up until it encounters waves under sail.

My theory has not yet been tested, but I'm standing by it.

Waves alone, even while mooring or under engine power, should get the job done.

Looks like a proper anker would be a lot cheaper.

What the fuck are you babbling about now?

Please make sense if you are going to post.

Noobs don't "get" ankers. All they know is 'heavy' and 'on the bottom'. The ability of one anchor to bite through grass and another one to hold well in mud is just too scientific. They are puzzled why all ankers don't look like Popeye's tattoo. I mean, that's what an anker looks like, am I right?

popeyes-tattoo.png

Please

if you are going to post.

And now for the Flyin Hawaiian 1/2 time show

Noobs don't "get" ankers. All they know is 'heavy' and 'on the bottom'. The ability of one anchor to bite through grass and another one to hold well in mud is just too scientific. They are puzzled why all ankers don't look like Popeye's tattoo. I mean, that's what an anker looks like, am I right?

popeyes-tattoo.png

And besides, everybody knows that ankers are primarily used to conk bad guys on the head. No issues about "holding power"or scope or any of that yotty crapola

FB- Doug

Jeeze, Woody! You're just too advanced for all of us! Every single one of your posts reads like a string of non sequiturs spit out by some automaton.

christopher_walkin_kevin_pollak.mp3

http://hyperbarichealthservices.com/positioning_images/christopher_walkin_kevin_pollak.mp3

Surely you are being too kind to Woody and disrespecting automatons everywhere.

Please make sense if you are going to post.

Check out the reviews on amazon for sugar free gummy bears. All will become clear over time - - - in a manner of speaking...

Many of us have Da-Woody on ignore which means all we see is a little one line box showing that he posted. We can click on that to see his posts if we want. But when you guys quote him then there his post is. So please please refrain from quoting him or just try that ignore. Click on that arrow by your name at the top of this page and the instructions are there.

I have been reporting on the weather in SF because it affects the FH. San Francisco did get a little bit of rain the last few days of January. But, that 1/4" or less was it for a month that usually gets over 4". The next 10 days are forecast with rain here and there but no major storms or wind events.

Many of us have Da-Woody on ignore which means all we see is a little one line box showing that he posted. We can click on that to see his posts if we want. But when you guys quote him then there his post is. So please please refrain from quoting him or just try that ignore. Click on that arrow by your name at the top of this page and the instructions are there.

I have been reporting on the weather in SF because it affects the FH. San Francisco did get a little bit of rain the last few days of January. But, that 1/4" or less was it for a month that usually gets over 4". The next 10 days are forecast with rain here and there but no major storms or wind events.

having da woodcunt on ignore is a god damn blessing, kinda like eating a big mexican dinner, then not being able to drop a duce the next morning but just before noon it hits you. so you run, or more like waddle to the head and you barley sit down before you explode the mother of all steaming piles................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what relief

Here's a fun game that's sort of FH related:

Guess how long this plywood and sawhorse table has been sitting outside in my yard. Extra credit for guessing the age and nature of the blue and white stuff. Bonus extra credit for guessing the grade of plywood.

plywood-sawhorses.jpg

Here's the edge:

plywood-edge.jpg

At this time of year, the table usually dries out, but we had four inches of rain last week.

It's still hanging in there.

Yeah, but it's not on a boat, nor is it encased in plastic, so it might not be all that relevant.

This is the underside of the mast step on a 1977 Com-Pac 16.

cp-16-mast-step.jpg

The large hole in the center of the plywood is where this piece was screwed to the support post underneath. The other four holes are for the mast step bolts. One or more of the forward three leaked at some point and that wood was soft. Someone came along and injected epoxy into the whole area. There were hardened rivers of the stuff alongside the plywood and that curve at the right side of the pic is where it pooled up between mast step and (now removed) interior skin.

The epoxy did not do what people say it does: soak into the plywood and stabilize it. It went around. The punky wood was easily removed with a chisel. The pooled epoxy does seem to me to have contributed to two hard spots at the corners of the step molding, resulting in cracks that went all the way through in both corners. Those cracks may have occurred anyway, but the presence of the epoxy made repairing them without complete removal a lot harder, if possible.

The remaining wood after that photo was taken was much harder to remove. I cut through the wood and epoxy with a Fein Multimaster every half inch or so and popped off the pieces with a chisel.

The stuff down at the aft end was unnaturally tough. Here's my chisel buried in the plywood.

cp-16-step-chisel.jpg

6 inches away, this plywood fell apart in my hands and disintegrated on contact with a chisel. This piece was stronger than any new plywood I have chiseled. It had a little more "give" to it, but no "give up" in it at all. I'm trying to pop off a half inch by half inch section that is already cut free, and the chisel is under it!!

cp-16-step-trimmed.jpg

I chiseled off the remaining wood, only gouging out a little fiberglass in the process. The horizontal line near the center of the photo is the only place that I scraped fiberglass with the Multimaster and I could feel it happening.

The epoxy injection "cure" that someone tried seems to me to have done little good and possibly caused harm. It certainly made repair more difficult. Unreinforced epoxy shatters easily if tapped with a chisel and when you get to fiberglass it feels different, so removing it was not as hard as I thought it might be up in the corners and such.

So for those waiting with baited breath for the Flyin' Hawaiian to disintegrate like wet paper, you can breathe now. This is 1977 plywood. Some of the cabin top core drained out in liquid form. Some of that piece of wood (which was oddly dry, but had been wet at some point) fell apart in my hands, but what was left had plenty of strength. Who knows how much the boat was sailed like that.

We could start up the Harlesaki discussion again, or biting fingers, or where's lilmurray, or ...

or we could just all shut up and wait for something to actually happen all while actively ignoring da-woody.

So for those waiting with baited breath

YOU may be waiting with baited breath Fishbreath, but the rest of us are waiting with bated breath. ;)

The "grocer's apostrophe" - banana's vs bananas, dinghy's vs dinghies, etc...............

Salon - saloon

cutter/ketch - double heads'l ketch

Air draft - mast height

Glad to see there is a full complement of spelling/grammar Nazis here.

If we stick together we'll soon get them all using English as she is goodly spoke.

Salon - saloon

Air draft - mast height

If we stick together we'll soon get them all using English as she is goodly spoke.

My air draft is a bit more than mast height if I want to keep antennas and suchlike shit up there. I think it's a reasonable term.

Pronunciation problems:

Lackadaisical Lasksadaisical

Fiscal Fiscital

Ask Axe

Oh, and I will go all Chuck Norris the next time I see irregardless.

Salon - saloon

Air draft - mast height

My air draft is a bit more than mast height if I want to keep antennas and suchlike shit up there. I think it's a reasonable term.

Mast height is from the water, "I" measurement is from the deck.

We don't need no stinkin' "air draft"

Salon - saloon

Air draft - mast height

Hate to rein on your parade, but we'll never reign in the improper use of rain.

ARRRG

Not the plywood discussion again.

Tom Ray's bit of plywood was the only interesting post on this thread for weeks - glad to see it's still thriving.

Tom's infamous and original "old bit of plywood" post made me realise FH was likely to survive far longer than my interest in this thread ;)

Usage issues:

Affect -- Effect

I -- Me

The phrase "very unique"

And then there is the problem of people who pronounce the t in often. Soon they'll even be talking about using fabric sof-TEN-er.

Vee-hick-ul for vehicle (veeickle)

Dee-kal for decal (dehkal)

sem-eye for semi (semee)

Burglarize for burgle

Nit picking asshole for justifiably anal.

That's why we do it here - anonymously. ;)

The phrase "very unique"

This, along with "more unique" and anything else that modifies unique, is my pet peeve. It seems no one understands what unique means.

The phrase "very unique"

This, along with "more unique" and anything else that modifies unique, is my pet peeve. It seems no one understands what unique means.

yes, but, irregardless, HR is more unique than you. Indeed, one might say, he and his saga are very unique

Salon - saloon

Air draft - mast height

Hate to rein on your parade, but we'll never reign in the improper use of rain.

Regrettably, you are likely correct Fishbreath.

Hear hear

So... probably Mr. Lane should enter the Bodega Bay Fisherman's Festival Wooden Boat Building Challenge:

Does your team have what it takes to build a boat in three hours (with materials provided), race it around a short, marked course (without sinking) and do it faster than any other team? If so, be at:

Westside Park, Saturday, April 26th, 2014

Materials Provided:

Boat Building Materials (Provided):
2 sheets of 3/8” x 4’ x 8’ plywood
12 pieces of 1” x 2” x 8’ lumber
2 pieces of 2” x 2” x 8’ lumber
2 pounds of 1" or 1 1/4" sheet rock screws.
1 pound of 1” nails
1 roll of duct tape, 3 tubes of caulking
25’ of poly rope, 1 piece of poly sheeting (9’ x 10’)

RULES:

1. Teams will consist of a maximum of 4 members, pre-registered.
  2. Building time is 3 hours, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
  3. Only the provided materials may be incorporated into the boat, with the exception of decorations - these may not be structural. Sawhorses, tarps and poles may be used but must remain ashore during the race.
  4. The Boat must be built using ONLY non-power tools, with the exception of battery-powered screw guns for driving screws.
  5. Drawings are okay but NO full size patterns.
  6. Team members (minimum one) must power the boat. No motors permitted. Paddles or oars must be made from materials provided.
  7. Racers must wear Personal Flotation Devices. A bailing device must be carried in the boat during the race (provided)

The phrase "very unique"

Yes, all of those and more I am sure. I just seem to encounter "very unique" more ofTen than other flavors.

The phrase "very unique"

Yes, all of those and more I am sure. I just seem to encounter "very unique" more ofTen than other flavors.

Well, right... but how do you suggest that people make the distinction between something that's only slightly unique, and something that's extremely unique?

FB- Doug