U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Just doing a quarterly check-in to see how the FH is faring, pretty dead thread so I figured I'd give the free pumpout discussion a kickstart. You're welcome; see you in three months.

Ditto. There's much less tragedy than I expected.

Building, biting, floating, people going missing, sinking, not sinking, pretend Harleys, light weight mast and rigging design, light weight rudders, you have to read it even Tom Clancy couldn't have envisioned this

And soggy drywall.

Still surprised none of the locals has had the balls to go up to the FH, knock on the door and ask 'howyadoin'...

Are they all mindfull of the rumored fate of Lil'murray?

Can someone summarize what this thread is about please? Are there any tit pics?

This thread haz been tit for tat from page 7

with neither tits, nor tats

the untatted are definitely more my cup of tea.

(I remember when those bunz JIGGLED!)

But, I must confess, the Un-Tatted Titz, while beauteous in their pristinity and claritudinously pinkly perfection are NOT MY perfect pair of protruberancical prominences!

Verily, I say unto thee, Smaller Be's Better (for me). and the Tatted Titz except for the fact that the 'artiste' left them looking like a pair of blueberries what were neglected in the back of the vegetable drawer for far too long a time, for size and sensitivity would probably be my favourites!

I far prefer the taut small breast over the enormous dugs of the majority of "Elsies" seemingly preferred by my confrerees,

tumblr_n174jpI72S1sw4pyvo1_500.jpg

I think I'm in love.

I don't CARE how much she costs!

Hmm, perhaps this thread needs some tatted tits...

attachicon.giftatted_tit.jpg

Not tats, no tits were hurt in the making of the pic.

Air brush job IMHO.

Call Rick at "MT Head" in Sausalito. All anchor-outs are entitled to one free mobile pump out service per month. Even Larry Ellison is eligible. Just call 650-483-5689

I am impressed. Might I guess that the Guv'mnt is reimbursing MTHead for the task? If not, either MTHead is out of their business minds or the Guv'mnt is in direct competition with commercial operators by proxy and should cease and desist. Or, maybe it's just 'Frisco, where the State provides free shopping carts for the homeless.

I stand corrected. Free pumpout does exist on this planet, in 'Frisco, but nowhere else as far as I know. My problem is it's 900 miles north of me so it's not an option.

Edit: Called the number and a DBW grant is reimbursing MTHead, at a discounted bulk rate, to service every boat in Richardson Bay once a month after proper paperwork is submitted. He said it's a push concerning profitability and knows of no similar program in 'Cali. Denied any knowledge of the Flying Hawaiian but stated he's not in charge of the particulars and was unwilling to look it up; he's the phone guy, not the accountant.

Put your boat on a flatbed and drag it to Chicago, splash it, then get it around to the end of D-Dock in Dusable Harbor (right downtown). Pump it out for free. Haul it, flatbed it, have a nice dinner before starting your drive back to Cali. The other Chicago city harbors may also have free pump out, Dusable is my only personal experience tho.

Just doing a quarterly check-in to see how the FH is faring, pretty dead thread so I figured I'd give the free pumpout discussion a kickstart. You're welcome; see you in three months.

Lots of shorebased free pumpouts around here, too. It might be State law that they be free. I was talking about free *mobile* pumpout service being an eye opener.

(I remember when those bunz JIGGLED!)

But, I must confess, the Un-Tatted Titz, while beauteous in their pristinity and claritudinously pinkly perfection are NOT MY perfect pair of protruberancical prominences!

Verily, I say unto thee, Smaller Be's Better (for me). and the Tatted Titz except for the fact that the 'artiste' left them looking like a pair of blueberries what were neglected in the back of the vegetable drawer for far too long a time, for size and sensitivity would probably be my favourites!

I far prefer the taut small breast over the enormous dugs of the majority of "Elsies" seemingly preferred by my confrerees,

tumblr_n174jpI72S1sw4pyvo1_500.jpg

I think I'm in love.

I don't CARE how much she costs!

borat_cannes_21.jpg

Despite having made quite a few bad puns related to Hot Rod having bitten of more than he can chew, I must have missed the outcome of his court appearance, can some one better informed please enlighten me?

Despite having made quite a few bad puns related to Hot Rod having bitten of more than he can chew, I must have missed the outcome of his court appearance, can some one better informed please enlighten me?

it was an open and shut case

with a finger in-between

I just did a records check and the case is still open. My guess is it is listed that way until any incarceration and/or probation time is up because some were ongoing for years. It was only a misdemeanor so he probably pled and got probation. If you want details then you have to pay a small amount.

I just did a records check and the case is still open. My guess is it is listed that way until any incarceration and/or probation time is up because some were ongoing for years. It was only a misdemeanor so he probably pled and got probation. If you want details then you have to pay a small amount.

Time for a crowd-funding campaign?

The fee is only $15 or $25. I forget exactly but it's on the Marin County Superior Court site. So not much of a crowd funding effort.

On another "where are they now?" point, I recently checked on the fate of Charlie Cobra - he's still in lockup in Bellingham. I confess to being a bit surprised he's still alive after 7 or 8 months in jail on charges of serial baby raping. I suspect he's at least a bit the worse for wear by now.

By special request over in the best trainwreck ever, an update on the table.

It has a pronounced curve above the right side sawhorse. The rainy season was hard on it. It won't rain much until June, so it should stay in more or less this condition for the next several months.

ply-table-14.jpg

It has a pronounced curve above the right side sawhorse. The rainy season was hard on it. It won't rain much until June, so it should stay in more or less this condition for the next several months.

ply-table-14.jpg

The plywood gets all the glamor shots, but hey, let's give a big shout-out to the saw horses too. They have been there the whole time with barely mention.

There is... (or was, like 35 years ago) a long-term plywood exposure project in the experimental forest at OSU. It was a clearing with rows and rows of racks with pieces of wood products and shingles nailed up. Mostly I remember lots of moss growing on everything.

Maybe you could get a grant? Hey, get HotRod in on it and it might finance a new outboard!

this thread is lost in the moss

Do I see some bamboo poking up there Tom?

Bring on the backhoe of awesomeness. Plywood can take it.

ply-table-14.jpg

The FH could use a number of pronounced curves, especially in the bow area.

this thread is lost in the moss

Could someone summarize the top 20 topics and posts in this thread so I won't have to read all 109 pages? :)

NOPE

SUCK IT UP BABY GET SOME MURINE AND A POT OF JAVA

You have about 18 hours work to get up to date.

To be fully engaged with ethereal beauty of this thread keep a running record of Hotrod's claims in terms of qualifications.

post-100938-0-90985000-1380230732_thumb.

click on above image

to make the same :wacko:

1. Hot Rod aka James Lane built a cat out of residential use 2 x 4s and plywood.

2. He said he used 700 lbs of screws.

3. He said he used 1000 gallons of epoxy.

4. He used his mothers retirement to "finish" the boat.

5. And possibly his son's dough too.

6. Said he was going to do sea trials on the way to the So. Pacific with a launching date 3 years ago.

7. Boat was finally launched a year and a half later.

8. It actually floated.

9. Boat has no engines, questionable rudders, and a rig that no one can figure out.

10. The boat has never sailed or motored on it's on anywhere and was towed by a ski boat.

11. There was an immediate sag noticeable in the bridgedeck and back porch.

12. The hulls were splaying out because there are no structural crossbeams.

13. Hot Rod put his Kawasaki Vulcan also known as harleysaki on the back porch of the boat.

14. Hot Rod was poaching the marinas restrrooms and got in a fight with the manager there and bit his finger.

15. Hot Rod was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault.

16. The boat has been moored in Richardson Bay ever since.

17. There is speculation that the boat will drag in a storm and end up on the rocks.

18. The weather gods have smiled on HR because there were no major storms last winter.

19. As far as anyone knows the inside is still unfinished framing inside.

20. Now waiting for the other shoe to drop.

How'd I do?

21. HR said he was going to power it with a pair of 9.9 HP outboards.

Damn went over the 20 limit.

Nice recap. I think you got most everything except a line item for tit pics.

I'm a little surprised no one has tried to check her out up close. (the boat)

1. Hot Rod aka James Lane built a cat out of residential use 2 x 4s and plywood.

6. Said he was going to do sea trials on the way to the So. Pacific with a launching date 3 years ago.

8. It actually floated.

9. Boat has no engines, questionable rudders, and a rig that no one can figure out.

10. The boat has never sailed or motored on it's on anywhere and was towed by a ski boat.

13. Hot Rod put his Kawasaki Vulcan also known as harleysaki on the back porch of the boat.

14. Hot Rod was poaching the marinas restrrooms and got in a fight with the manager there and bit his finger.

17. There is speculation that the boat will drag in a storm and end up on the rocks.

18. The weather gods have smiled on HR because there were no major storms last winter.

How'd I do?

Pretty good but you forgot about Li'l Murray going missing, ostensibly on a scouting mission to the FH around the time of the attempted cannibalism.

It's not Li'l Murray, it's lilmurray. My opinion is that Lil is a female and that she is held captive as a sex slave in HR's basement.

left out the studding of 10,000 designs

failed to use any bow plans

and went Full Army

I also forgot about the keels or lack thereof. And he never did put in the leeboards.

Forgot to mention that HR was posting here too.

I also forgot about the keels or lack thereof. And he never did put in the leeboards.

Forgot to mention that HR was posting here too.

He claimed that the boat didn't need leeboards because the hulls were asymmetrical (like a formula powerboat). I have no idea why he would think that would make any difference in unwind performance, but HR is way out in left field design-wise.

You also forgot the whole jail/finger biting/law enforcement angle. Pretty damn funny and not at all shocking.

Wow. Quite the tale! I'm going to have to grab a pot of joe and skim the 10,000+ posts.

Trust me on this one, it's well worth the time. You may want to have a bathroom nearby just in case you feel a little ill or laugh so hard you puke.

Lil murray was the first (social welfare officer/reporter ?) who was tasked the mission of checking to see if the mother in law was still alive. He appeared on the scene at about the time that HotRod was suddenly cashed up enough to buy up every anchor he could find.

With Lil Murray's mysterious disappearance and his failure to lodge a report, head office probably figure its just easier to keep making the payments rather than send another, and have to pay their medical bills/insurance.

All Rod did, was build her an oversized coffin. Sooner or later, there will be a lick of flames to clean up what hasn't sunk, as a dinghy rows away quietly into the mist....

8. It actually floated.

No engine: TRUE.

Questionable rudders: FALSE.

Unfathomable rig: FALSE.

Rudders

There is no question that the rudders are severely under-engineered and under-built. Hot Rod himself has stated more than once that he needed to rethink the steering. From what I could gather, Lane was stunned by how the rudders failed so completely in what were fairly mild conditions -- steering while being towed at low speed in a mild chop. There are photos floating around somewhere, showing the -- starboard, I believe -- rudder was severely damaged and rendered inoperable during the tow from Loch Lomond Marina (I hear their Happy Hour has the most divine finger-food) to Richardson Bay.

That move included what appeared to be an unplanned side-trip to Alameda. The water was a little rougher than planned for, though not worse than an average SF day. The simplest explanation of what the photos shows is that the rudder failed en route and this failure caused the drift to Alameda as the extended FH crew reconfigured the towing system on the now-unsteerable FH.

Rig

The rig isn't too hard to figure out. Hot Rod's standing rigging is wack but the general sailplan is identifiable even though it is a bit hybrid. What we're looking at is a Staysail Ketch where the main staysail looks exactly like the main staysail of a staysail schooner. It also looks like a mizzen staysail on a boom, but that's not correct.

I don't know the name of the flying sail that fits between that main staysail stay and the mainmast, but functionally it's a fisherman staysail with 3 corners instead of 4.

In the staysail ketch rig there is no need for the spar that Hot Rod rigged parallel above the main staysail stay. This, I think, is where the hybrid part of the rig is. I can picture Hot Rod, visions of tropical free-loading paradise dancing through his head, seeing pictures of high-flying U-shaped crab-claw sails such as found on Polynesian Voyaging Canoes, thinking, "How appropriate!" But that spar is not worth its complexity or weight, especially aloft. It needs to go. It buys nothing as far as sail handling or efficiency. If he is going for effect, still ditch the alloy spar and replace it with a nice floppy wooden piece like the Hawaiians use.

Indeed, the staysail ketch is not a popular cruising rig because it is not very efficient and involves added complexity to the routine -- for cruisers -- task of reefing. On a well-sorted yacht, reefing the main is a one-person task and can be done in one minute. Raising and lowering that flying staysail would take more like 10 minutes between hauling it into position and hooking it up and hauling it up. Based solely on the number of ropes you need to haul and the distance needed to haul them, reefing wins, hands down. What that translates to is deferred sail handling, both raising and lowering. At its worst, that could lead to reduced safety aboard.

My guess is that Hot Rod used up his sail budget on used sails plus he probably got a roachy donation or 2 and designed the rig around what he had. Want to see a different rig? Donate a mainsail.

And there the story pretty much sits.

Several people have talked with Lane since FH had been ankered in Richardson Bay and one person mysteriously disappeared after one such talk aboard the FH.

Speculation and random quips.

Nothing of substance.

8. It actually floated.

How'd I do?

You forgot the drywall.

And the fact that the Harlisaki disappeared from the porch and is probably sleeping on the couch.

I can't wait for the movie.

Comedy, Tragedy, Documentary?

Cartoon?

Dramedy - plenty of room for Pathos.

Either that or a Wagnerian type opera - it the FH dies a suitably flamboyant death.

The saga of the launch alone is worth a full length docudrama and possibly even a mini series.

Can we forget the collapsing trailer and the heroic efforts by Hotrod to weld on additional stuff.

The arcane arguments as to the possible route. Could it make it to the slip

The night time launch.

Viking funeral pyre! The final scene as the great vessel, yes I'm a generous person, sails under the Golden Gate Bridge, a helicopter shot starting at sea level then climbing and spiraling as sheets of flames roar.

Fade to black.

A S/A Production

Wow. Quite the tale! I'm going to have to grab a pot of joe and skim the 10,000+ posts.

NO SKIMMING! You'll miss all the subtlety.

Bhyde: I did mention the biting in my list of 20.

Tom Ray: I don't recall any evidence of drywall. I think it is the wild conjectures of SA members on acid. Ummmm....got any left? :D

I forgot to mention that there was/is a total void of sail handling hardware. No winches, clutches, nuttin.

I posted that lilmurray was lurking on the site about 6 weeks ago so I think we can give it a rest.

Can it be seen on Google map satellite view yet?

I think I do see it. Directly off schoonmaker marina?

Oh yeah, chuckt. I'd recognize that slab-sided bitch anywhere!

I never believed it would survive the trip from the building site to the launch ramp.

Every day it still floats is a little knife sticking in my side -- a reminder of my less-than-stellar track record at predicting the future.

But I think this is the best of all possible fates for such a craft under the command of such a man.

And I think the reverse holds true: that this boat has been one of the better possible fates for Mr. Lane.

So far, so good. Nobody bothers him much. Weather's nice. No rent.

I think Hot Rod is a smart guy -- just not with a lot of "book learning."

His basic, overriding mistake with the Flyin' Hawaiian is that he underestimated the power of the sea, with which most readers of this forum are more than casually aware. I'll tell you one thing Hot Rod is; he's a fixer. When things go pear-shaped, he's right there with whatever tools he's got, strengthening things, making it work. Probably part of that stubborn streak which amused us so much. I'm sad that he didn't apply his energy and perseverance to building a seaworthy craft. And that he's had to modify his dreams. And that he's had to deal with gawkers and other crap when things were toughest.

I am grateful that when FH fails to stay bay-worthy, the rescue of people and property will be relatively simple and straight-forward.

Or maybe Hot Rod is fabbing a new steering system and strengthening cross beams. That's what hot-rodders do.

9. ...questionable rudders...

the fh doesn't have rudders, it has rutters and they work exactly as designed.

didn't mention the ankers either.

No he's not - smart people are able to learn from others and recognize when others have superior knowledge. Dummies KNOW they are smarter than everyone else. A routine example is criminals who are "smarter than any cop" - even if it were true, they ain't smarter than ALL the cops, that's why the prisons are full.

HR & the FH are shining examples of this concept in action.

NO SKIMMING! You'll miss all the subtlety.

This is one of the funniest posts in the whole thread

In a subtle way of course

FB- Doug

9. Boat has no engines, questionable rudders rutters, including Guy, and a rig that no one can figure out.

Questionable rutters: FALSE.

It does (as far as we know) have a Harlisaki that could be repurposed. If the steps can support it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolxuR87lkg

And Guy LeDouche is definitely a questionable rutter.

9. Boat has no engines, questionable rudders rutters, including Guy, and a rig that no one can figure out.

Questionable rutters: FALSE.

It does (as far as we know) have a Harlisaki that could be repurposed. If the steps can support it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolxuR87lkg

And Guy LeDouche is definitely a questionable rutter.

Maybe that's why the transom steps on FH seem so irregular to us lesser minds... they're not stairs at all, they're an auxiliary propulsion support.

IMHO the rutters are not really questionable. Do they steer the boat? Hell no, but that may not be what they're supposed to do. They might fulfill their intended purpose just fine. So the only question is, what are they intended to do?

Oh yeah, chuckt. I'd recognize that slab-sided bitch anywhere!

I never believed it would survive the trip from the building site to the launch ramp.

Every day it still floats is a little knife sticking in my side -- a reminder of my less-than-stellar track record at predicting the future.

But I think this is the best of all possible fates for such a craft under the command of such a man.

And I think the reverse holds true: that this boat has been one of the better possible fates for Mr. Lane.

So far, so good. Nobody bothers him much. Weather's nice. No rent.

.... ...

Yeah I was totally wrong about the longevity of FH too, but it doesn't bother me much. Maybe because I'm wrong about stuff often enough to get used to it?

But if you think HotRod is smart, then you must define "smart" rather differently. Remember he spent a couple years work and every penny his whole family is likely to have for 3 generations to build the FH. For much much MUCH less investment, he could have a mobile home in the woods somewhere, no rent or troubles, no legal troubles, and instead of barnacle soup he could be having fried squirrel.

Of course that doesn't sound quite as good as being owner of a "4-star yacht." Maybe it's all about bragging rights.

FB- Doug

A trailer in the woods is not worth "$millions" either.

I forgot to add that I actually talked to HR about a year ago after he posted his phone # here. I was accused of making up that "lie" and being HRs stooge by SA members. Nice group. They finally shut up when I posted a pic showing HRs # on my phone.

Don't forget that he put it for sale on CL shortly after launch. Was it $450,000 and then reduced to $250K?

flyin_hawaiian_schoonmaker_point.jpg

Ohh Noo it looks like we have multiple dinghies. Always a bad sign re future movements.

I always thought it sad that he could have put the same amount of time money and sweat into a Wharram Tehinni and he would have had something that could have taken him and family to the islands.

Still it would not have been nearly as entertaining.

post-46472-0-93119200-1414944022_thumb.jpg

No he's not - smart people are able to learn from others and recognize when others have superior knowledge.

I should have written "clever" instead of "smart" but I was trying to be less condescending.

I agree that Hot Rod fits several negative profiles including petty criminals and prison population.

He marches to his own drummer, he's stubborn as all hell, his memory is probably sub-average but, hey, still floatin'...

Do I see some bamboo poking up there Tom?

Bring on the backhoe of awesomeness. Plywood can take it.

Love you southern latitudes guys with the exposed plumbing, won't cut it in the great white north.

There is no proof that HR was ever in prison. He might have spent a night in jail and that's a big difference. I'll bet 90% of the folks in jail get released the next day. Everyone thinks he was going to be locked up for years for this and that isn't the way it works.

Actually the best part of this thread was that pic of the Viking aka HR jr rowing the dingy down the freeway in a slow speed chase. And it was a paddle and not a shovel but a shovel would be better on the 405.

No he's not - smart people are able to learn from others and recognize when others have superior knowledge.

I should have written "clever" instead of "smart" but I was trying to be less condescending.

I agree that Hot Rod fits several negative profiles including petty criminals and prison population.

He marches to his own drummer, he's stubborn as all hell, his memory is probably sub-average but, hey, still floatin'...

I'm not even sure i would describe him as clever. A clever person, in my opinion, comes up with novel or unique ways to solve problems in ways that no one else may have considered. HR doesn't even recognize the problem. For example, the bridge deck to hull joint. The beams that go under the bridge deck don't even go completely through the hulls (tying the hulls inner and outer walls together). The beams simply tie to the inner wall of the hulls with carriage bolts and a little blocking (2x4). Anyone who thinks for more than a minute or two would immediately recognize that this joint needs to be damn strong. HR had no concept of the forces involved and exactly zero experience with any other boats to make an educated guess from. He simply doesn't see the problem. "The hulls are tied together, what more do you need?" The entire boat is a claptrap of hillbilly engineering that has roughly the shape of a catamaran. It's what you would build if you were making a B movie and needed something really cheap to blow up.

I'm not sure what word I would use to describe HR, but clever isn't one of them.

A gift for those who have had the industry to stick with this cluster-fuck through 110 pages!!!

Tits, beauty AND a dinghy...

Beauty031114-A.jpg

A gift for those who have had the industry to stick with this cluster-fuck through 110 pages!!!

Tits, beauty AND a dinghy...

Beauty031114-A.jpg

Upon viewing said beauty I immediately recalled Huxley's Brave New World and Lenina:

"Every one says I'm awfully pneumatic," said Lenina reflectively, patting her own legs.

All because of the lovely raft, of course...

... ... I should have written "clever" instead of "smart" but I was trying to be less condescending.

...... ... ...

I'm not even sure i would describe him as clever. A clever person, in my opinion, comes up with novel or unique ways to solve problems in ways that no one else may have considered. HR doesn't even recognize the problem.

.... ... ... The entire boat is a claptrap of hillbilly engineering that has roughly the shape of a catamaran. It's what you would build if you were making a B movie and needed something really cheap to blow up.

I'm not sure what word I would use to describe HR, but clever isn't one of them.

Being stubborn as all hell can be a great virtue, that's one characteristic I admire. Having vision and initiative, too.

Unfortunately this is a case where the vision and stubbornness was used to continue onwards with a project that should never have been undertaken in the first place.

If I were tasked with building something (presumably something that looks like a boat) to blow up in a B-movie, it would be something that looks more like a regular boat in the first place. FH looks like nothing anybody has ever seen before, except maybe a slight resemblance to a Civil War ironclad. Come to think of it, FH is proving to have better longevity than most of those

;)

FB- Doug

Being stubborn as all hell can be a great virtue, that's one characteristic I admire. Having vision and initiative, too.

Unfortunately this is a case where the vision and stubbornness was used to continue onwards with a project that should never have been undertaken in the first place.

I don't agree.

I think undertaking this project has transformed Hot Rod for the better.

I don't agree.

I think undertaking this project has transformed Hot Rod for the better.

You might want to put on a Kevlar glove before giving him the thumbs up.

flyin_hawaiian_schoonmaker_point.jpg

Just looked at a recent Gmap and the FH didn't show up where she was in this image... did she pull a covert move on us??

Just looked at a recent Gmap and the FH didn't show up where she was in this image... did she pull a covert move on us??

FH still shows up there.

I even flushed my cache, just to make sure.

Those Google Map space views aren't updated all that frequently.

I think the image indicates it was taken August 2014. That's very current for Google Earth. I think once a year is about how often my area gets updated.

I never realized when I was in Sausalito in June that I was looking right at the FH without knowing it. It just struck me looking at Google Earth exactly where the hell Richardson Bay is.

rich%2Bbay%2B2.jpg