U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Man, if it was hotrods plan to launch this thing in a calm lake, he would be a hero. It's possible he made serious structural improvements from the inside; I guess we'll soon find out.

This photo was taken March 18, 2013. He has added a chrome bumper to the bows. This is probably to make it safer to land at any one of those 10,000 islands of paradise. Also visible in this photo is the crumpled look of the bow and a reinforcement cable attached near or below the waterline. YIKES. I want to be there for the launch. I will try to rescue their cute little dog if necessary. While I was there taking some photos, a soccer mom drove by and asked me "will that thing float?".

that's corrector weights to offset the dual-glaze patio slider on the fantail

it's Not going anywhere

Wow, he has modified his battery drill into a plywood sander.

Its really sweet the way he is grinding DOWN the plywood to fit the aluminium. Doesnt he know that the unpainted 4 mm of exterior grade ply area will now probably rot sometime in the next 30 years.minutes... The baemix juicer he converted into an outboard doesnt have reverse gear ? His first mistake ? cos he's gunna need 15 reverse gears with anything like a tailwind.

This photo was taken March 18, 2013. He has added a chrome bumper to the bows. This is probably to make it safer to land at any one of those 10,000 islands of paradise. Also visible in this photo is the crumpled look of the bow and a reinforcement cable attached near or below the waterline. YIKES. I want to be there for the launch. I will try to rescue their cute little dog if necessary. While I was there taking some photos, a soccer mom drove by and asked me "will that thing float?".

That is classic!!! Looks like part of a truck bumper. Guess Hot Rod is also shopping at Auto Zone! :lol:

Maybe he was the fucktard who stole my credit card and bought $1600 worth of something from Sears Auto Center in Hayward?

You guys won't let him do anything without mockery! Stop! Is using a drill as a sander now a federal crime or something? I would certainly be locked up in some gulag or other if so. You won't get a lot of really great pussy in your life if you have to be Poindexter and obsessively-compulsively insist on selecting exactly the correct power tool. So be forewarned.

F'Chrissakes, it's just a little metal plate on the front. My dad's Thistle came with a little metal strip down the front and underneath. Good to have if you bonk something, although not ideal for hardcore racing. It's not going to be the determinant of whether the vessel works or not, and at any rate I don't think HotRod is going to apply for a rating and race the thing (why *anyone* -- even a guy who built a boat with joist hangers and deck screws -- would stoop to PHRF racing is beyond me.)

I am counting on this guy to prove you all wrong and have a halfway decent structure inside the thing after all. I'm not saying he's Joshua Slocum, or even anyone I'd care to have over for dinner, but heck I'm sitting here typing bs on the Internet and he is building a very big fucking boat all by himself. My hat is off to the dude, sorry.

but heck I'm sitting here typing bs on the Internet and he is building a very big fucking boat boat shaped house all by himself. My hat is off to the dude, sorry.

Correction above

You guys won't let him do anything without mockery! Stop! Is using a drill as a sander now a federal crime or something? I would certainly be locked up in some gulag or other if so. You won't get a lot of really great pussy in your life if you have to be Poindexter and obsessively-compulsively insist on selecting exactly the correct power tool. So be forewarned.

F'Chrissakes, it's just a little metal plate on the front. My dad's Thistle came with a little metal strip down the front and underneath. Good to have if you bonk something, although not ideal for hardcore racing. It's not going to be the determinant of whether the vessel works or not, and at any rate I don't think HotRod is going to apply for a rating and race the thing (why *anyone* -- even a guy who built a boat with joist hangers and deck screws -- would stoop to PHRF racing is beyond me.)

I am counting on this guy to prove you all wrong and have a halfway decent structure inside the thing after all. I'm not saying he's Joshua Slocum, or even anyone I'd care to have over for dinner, but heck I'm sitting here typing bs on the Internet and he is building a very big fucking boat all by himself. My hat is off to the dude, sorry.

Marblehead indeed

most others have more than one

you have lost all but the last of your marbles

no I didn't have to look to the left to tell ;)

Marblehead indeed

Dude maybe so. I lay no claim to anything else. I am just saying, I'm backing this catamaran guy.

Marblehead indeed

Dude maybe so. I lay no claim to anything else. I am just saying, I'm backing this catamaran guy.

Frank M. is that you ? ................ Yes

The only thing missing now is some of those Buick portholes all the gangstas put on their slammed Hondas. I was seriously concerned about this project, but now that Hrod is sporting a full beard (very nautical) and has added some deckplate, I gotta say, this thing is definitely...oh for Christ sakes...what the hell is that suppose to do? I guess when the two hulls separate and start floating on their side, the deckplate will be a convenient place to...Jesus, Mary, and Jo, I never ever imagined that gluing random truck parts on the front of a boat was even in the realm of possibility. W.T.F!

He read about all the shit floating in the ocean, this'll just cut right through that rusting japanese fishing trawler

OR

He read about the NW passage as a quick way to get to Europe, and decided to make the Cat an Icebreaker

OR

He saw a 4x4 with chrome bumper parts and they guy had a hot, tatoo'd chick in the passenger seat, figured out the only difference between him and the guy with the truck, was the chrome bumper….

I'm backing him too, good luck to him. My best guess is that he'll get it launched, park it in the nearest marina so he can sit back and relax, only to get chased out by some small-minded jealous fucktard, who doesn't want it next to his 30ft 4kt identikit shitbox.

I don't feel like reading 85 pages to figure it out so can someone just tell me where this project is located? I'm driving from SD to Oakland in two weeks and feel the need to check it out.

And Clamslapper - I'm kinda with you. I don't see this happening, but hey, he's sure as shit going for it. Something to be said for it.

He read about all the shit floating in the ocean, this'll just cut right through that rusting japanese fishing trawler

OR

He read about the NW passage as a quick way to get to Europe, and decided to make the Cat an Icebreaker

OR

He saw a 4x4 with chrome bumper parts and they guy had a hot, tatoo'd chick in the passenger seat, figured out the only difference between him and the guy with the truck, was the chrome bumper….

I hope that the average reader of this thread has the intelligence to enjoy the irony of a post that is literally a list of assumptions being posted by someone called Occam's Razor...beautiful! (And I'm not saying they're not at least possibly correct, I'm just pointing out how perfect the name is in light of them)

OR

OR

I hope that the average reader of this thread has the intelligence to enjoy the irony of a post that is literally a list of assumptions being posted by someone called Occam's Razor...beautiful! (And I'm not saying they're not at least possibly correct, I'm just pointing out how perfect the name is in light of them)

:lol: They all adequately explain the observed phenomenon. So we should choose the option requiring the fewest entities.... NW Passage it is.

It's in Marin county at loch lomond

marina parking lot in San Rafael

I don't feel like reading 85 pages to figure it out so can someone just tell me where this project is located? I'm driving from SD to Oakland in two weeks and feel the need to check it out.

And Clamslapper - I'm kinda with you. I don't see this happening, but hey, he's sure as shit going for it. Something to be said for it.

That chrome is awesome.

Clearly he is getting close to being done. That is the toolbox from his pickup truck being put to better use. He no longer needs his tools be caused he is finished.

Next stop: Void Ho.

Minimalist assumption: slow suicide.

I think we have arrived at the point where a musical soundtrack is needed

on 3 - 2 & 1

Lloyds of london, insurer to all big shipping companies is worried now... Lets face it, if you were an italian cruise ship captain, demoted to the bridge of a freighter, and saw that mofo blowing towards you, rapidly disintergrating, the urge to put it out of its misery would be an unstoppable irrestible urge....

But the sad fact is that long before the checkerplate could meet Maersk, HOTROD would be doing his titanic sinking to the depths impersonation.

I'm backing him too, good luck to him. My best guess is that he'll get it launched, park it in the nearest marina so he can sit back and relax, only to get chased out by some small-minded jealous fucktard, who doesn't want it next to his 30ft 4kt identikit shitbox.

My Probability Chart:

0.20 to launch: besides major problems moving boat to water, there are few available options once she is launched

0.005 finding a marina willing to accept this boat: it's a houseboat with no insurance; owner is short on funds)

0.10 sinking before running aground (most of SF Bay is very shallow, especially in the Loch Lomond area)

0.90 filling with water after mooring, berthing, or running aground

0.05 swept out of Bay into Pacific by current

0.0001 sailing out of San Francisco Bay

Based on what I've seen, controlling this boat will be impossible. The best case would be getting towed to Richardson Bay, but without some enormous ground tackle it will go aground at Belvedere. Does anybody know is there is any access to the hulls? -- I'm thinking he's built these hulls so watertight that bilge pumps would as unnecessary as auxilliary power on a sailing vessel.

I've been following this thread with a morbid fascination since its inception in September, two years ago. Talk about a slow motion train wreck.

I'm hoping/expecting that it reaches the water, torques and racks as it is launched, takes on water, and sinks in water shallow enough for its intrepid designer/builder/skipper to walk ashore.

One question. Of the various visitors to the site has no-one stopped to talk to the marina owners or the harbourmaster to get their take on the project?

I'm still guessing he simply will not be able to make enough headway against the tide and ends up on the shore.

Based on what I've seen, controlling this boat will be impossible. The best case would be getting towed to Richardson Bay, but without some enormous ground tackle it will go aground at Belvedere

Once it runs aground in Belvedere it'll be worth millions as waterfront real estate. Brilliant plan. Now I wish I was building the thing.

A trapezoid is pretty stable in shear, except for the patio slider. I wonder if he could replace

the fixed half of the window with 1/2 inch Lexan, screwed down at 6 inch centers on the edges.

The hulls would still want to roll in and out, so I hope his diagonal bracing is strong enough.

looks better after the landscaping

532905_10200975635892590_2091403300_n.jpg

I've been following this thread with a morbid fascination since its inception in September, two years ago. Talk about a slow motion train wreck.

I'm hoping/expecting that it reaches the water, torques and racks as it is launched, takes on water, and sinks in water shallow enough for its intrepid designer/builder/skipper to walk ashore.

One question. Of the various visitors to the site has no-one stopped to talk to the marina owners or the harbourmaster to get their take on the project?

You are right, it is a slow motion train wreck. I'm sure the Marina Management knows it too, probably to their own embarrassment. I think they bear some responsibility, and more than they care to accept. You could contact them and report back --Loch Lomond Marina 415-454-7228 or info@lochlomondmarina.come

I used to keep my boat at the same marina. Very shallow area with a long channel going out to open water, I think there is okay for the ark barge to make it out without running aground. The tide travels across the Channel like a swift river, I used to motor almost sideways sometimes.

OK easter sunday update

Went by to see the progress this very nice morning. Hot rod was there busily doing something, hot rod's mom was in her wheel chair on the back porch holding one of those yappy purse size dogs. hotrods portly pal was there with four or five more yappy purse size dogs, that he was putting into a dog pen on the ground.

it looks like hot rod is contemplating doing something rash, and it is starting to go a bit pear shaped

Progress since my last visit - the boat in now up on the center trailer, on cross stacked timbers, lifted up by the lower deck. this seems to have caused problems with the boat flexing and the hulls rotating inward. Hot rod has solved this with some temporary rigging from the big steel beams on top straight down around the outer hulls to the chines to prevent the flexing going further

I didn't talk to him, cause this all makes me feel a bit uncomfortable - maybe bhyde can go talk, he is better at that than me

pics on to come on april fools day

other things that don't look right

1. totally under spec steering gear

2. no evidence of any kind of aux propulsion

3. no evidence of any daggerboards or side force generators

4 more sail area in the hulls than in the rigs

5 no way to rig a jib on the water (forestay is on a pole bowsprit)

6 no way to see forward from the steering stations

7 no way to trim sails from steering stations (must go up on the roof)

8 and no railing on the back porch to keep mom from rolling off

In light of that report, I must retract my speculation that this contraption can be transported to the water intact. Seems it is not as strong as the typical mobile home. This will not end well. I just hope it ends on dry land, preferably with video rolling.

You are right, it is a slow motion train wreck. I'm sure the Marina Management knows it too, probably to their own embarrassment. I think they bear some responsibility, and more than they care to accept. You could contact them and report back --Loch Lomond Marina 415-454-7228 or info@lochlomondmarina.come

If I were marina management I wouldn't be very forthcoming to phone calls from NZ or emails from unknown sources.

What this needs is some casual questioning in the immediate area, i.e., "Hey, what's with that big contraption in the lot?" It could be directed to marina employees or boat owners. Sorry, I'm a bit far away.

OK easter sunday update

Went by to see the progress this very nice morning. Hot rod was there busily doing something, hot rod's mom was in her wheel chair on the back porch holding one of those yappy purse size dogs...........................................................

8 and no railing on the back porch to keep mom from rolling off

Thanks for the update. Somebody local should see about planting a webcam, so we can monitor this more closely. Purely for safety purposes, but would also highlight "alternative" boat building techniques and outcomes.

Notwithstanding my earlier enthusiastic posts, I was curious about the details of the launch, and I Google'd a nav chart of San Rafael Bay. I'm not sure how to upload a picture here, but the long and short of it is, it looks like for about a mile from the beach to the main shipping channel (the San Pablo Strait), and the water depth at low tide is 2-4 feet. There's an incredibly narrow channel that goes into San Rafael harbor through these shallows, but "incredibly narrow" is no exaggeration. He will basically have to move the boat eastward in a perfectly straight line down that channel until he gets out to the strait's deep water. I hope he will do it at high slack tide, for at any other time it would seem to me to be just about impossible. Even in the few minutes he will spend doing it, the current could turn back on, and then I would guess it would become a superhuman feat.

Furthermore, he will have zero chance to practice driving the boat before he's faced with this task, because the channel begins right there -- there's no sea room to mess around before making a run for it.

I have no idea how deep the boat will float in the water but surely a few feet, no?

Just saying, this first task looks like a very tricky bit of seamanship, even assuming the vessel stays in one piece.

(PS: how _do_ you post pictures in these forums?)

The boat will never make it to open water. Looking at it there is really no place to launch? It would apart if he were to crane it too

The boat will never make it to open water. Looking at it there is really no place to launch? It would apart if he were to crane it too

it has one chance of ever lasting piece

Notwithstanding my earlier enthusiastic posts, I was curious about the details of the launch, and I Google'd a nav chart of San Rafael Bay. I'm not sure how to upload a picture here, but the long and short of it is, it looks like for about a mile from the beach to the main shipping channel (the San Pablo Strait), and the water depth at low tide is 2-4 feet. There's an incredibly narrow channel that goes into San Rafael harbor through these shallows, but "incredibly narrow" is no exaggeration. He will basically have to move the boat eastward in a perfectly straight line down that channel until he gets out to the strait's deep water. I hope he will do it at high slack tide, for at any other time it would seem to me to be just about impossible. Even in the few minutes he will spend doing it, the current could turn back on, and then I would guess it would become a superhuman feat.

Furthermore, he will have zero chance to practice driving the boat before he's faced with this task, because the channel begins right there -- there's no sea room to mess around before making a run for it.

I have no idea how deep the boat will float in the water but surely a few feet, no?

Just saying, this first task looks like a very tricky bit of seamanship, even assuming the vessel stays in one piece.

Chart from here: http://marine.geogarage.com/routes

hotrod_chart1.jpg

hotrod_chart2.jpg

hotrod_ramp.jpg

If I were him, I would probably try to arrange for a tow through out through that channel. In many boats it would be tough, but in that one well nigh impossible without having 30 seconds to practice steering the boat under auxiliary power. That channel looks to be intolerant of steering mistakes (depending of course on how much draft the boat ultimately requires). I hope he has installed a couple of hard points for a tow rope.

How does the vessel get from where it's being built over to the launch ramp?

If I were him, I would probably try to arrange for a tow through out through that channel. In many boats it would be tough, but in that one well nigh impossible without having 30 seconds to practice steering the boat under auxiliary power. That channel looks to be intolerant of steering mistakes (depending of course on how much draft the boat ultimately requires). I hope he has installed a couple of hard points for a tow rope.

about 200 skateboards...

• Like 2

The builder told me that this is a sailing vessel, not a power boat. He has one or two small outboards but these would be little more than noisemakers on this contraption.

Not to worry, Mr. Slapper. Chances of getting this thing wet are still dependent on the forecast for rain. But should he make it to the ramp and somehow launch, he can't afford a tug or SeaTow, so he'll have to make do with those outboards to push along the channel. Ha!

There's the rub: you now see the report that he can't even support the thing on a flatbed without an implosion. I think you may be beginning to see the light we've all tried to show you. We're all very disappointed that you have doubted us and put your faith into HotRod.

You've got to believe in us. We're on SA.

Here endeth the lesson for today.

JJ -- I think I am beginning to see the light. Still rooting for this chap though. If he can somehow get the thing to open water, at least he can give it a shot. The trip to the ramp isn't too far so perhaps he could roll it on logs or something -- no idea but that strikes me as possibly doable. But getting out through that long narrow channel looks to be very tricky if I'm reading the chart correctly.

I called the marina and the situation now is tides in the daytime

so I guess it'll be another month before a high tide in the daytime

pick your launch viewing with a tide table as they will be doing too

they said he's putting a motorcycle on the boat

he'd be better off putting a jetski on top as it'll Never make it to a place to use a MC again

Where are the pics??? :blink:

Also, so Hot Rod is ready for launch and is just waiting for a high tide, is that right? Why will that take another month?

Not to worry, Mr. Slapper. Chances of getting this thing wet are still dependent on the forecast for rain. But should he make it to the ramp and somehow launch, he can't afford a tug or SeaTow, so he'll have to make do with those outboards to push along the channel. Ha!

There's the rub: you now see the report that he can't even support the thing on a flatbed without an implosion. I think you may be beginning to see the light we've all tried to show you. We're all very disappointed that you have doubted us and put your faith into HotRod.

You've got to believe in us. We're on SA.

Here endeth the lesson for today.

maybe 100 pair of theses...

a20792b135defd95a4d4e0_m.JPG

I think its as ready as its going to be, I will get photos this week, web cam would be awesome but i cant do it.

Where are the pics??? :blink:

Also, so Hot Rod is ready for launch and is just waiting for a high tide, is that right? Why will that take another month?

check the tide chart

think they'er waiting for a good flusher to sweep it out of the environment and such

Sure Hope "Mom" get's to sit in the Bar to watch it crumble (Safely)

What, no love for the lap dogs?

Wonder if this boat is registered and at least has basic ground tackle, running lights, etc. Can't imagine any hauler moving this pile of lumber without some sort of damage waiver, this is definitely a cash up front job.

they said he's putting a motorcycle on the boat

he'd be better off putting a jetski on top as it'll Never make it to a place to use a MC again

At the risk of repeating myself, attached is a photo of the motorcycle that HotRod built to take on this ark

post-54283-0-21333600-1364861390_thumb.jpg

How much longer does he have to reside at his present location before he's successfully squatted the property?

If, miraculously, he does launch this contraption and it makes it to the water and floats I would imagine that once the fenders go over the sides they will stay there forever.

Much like the Tin Can, I don't think the concept of displacement has entered the design spiral of this individual just yet.

After launch the dispersal of components will make further efforts more difficult.

after the launch (ha), I'm thinking the heavy timber cribbing, on the centerline trailer, floating all around will add to the general hilarity

Seeing as how whatever he will be using will be sourced from Home Depot, my money's on this:

dolly1.jpg

Maybe two per hull.

any guesses about the float lines - assuming it floats

I can't imagine him launching it without painting the underwater parts a different colour, and all boats float where the hull changes colour. Remember he's looked at thousands of boat so I'm sure he would have picked up that little detail.

• Downvote 1

<snip>

Progress since my last visit - the boat in now up on the center trailer, on cross stacked timbers, lifted up by the lower deck. this seems to have caused problems with the boat flexing and the hulls rotating inward. Hot rod has solved this with some temporary rigging from the big steel beams on top straight down around the outer hulls to the chines to prevent the flexing going further

</snip>

It's fine, what your forgetting is that the hulls a designed to support the midsection, You were always going to have problems when the midsection was supporting the hulls during transport to the water. I bet that the temp beams were part of the plan from the beginning.

Go the hotrod!

• Downvote 1

(PS: how _do_ you post pictures in these forums?)

18 - 30 inches, based on his self-reported displacement vs. more realistic estimate.

any guesses about the float lines - assuming it floats

I would guess about a foot and a half below the gun turrets. Those are gun turrets right?

I think we all need to watch this video again to get back in touch with the inner Hotrod.

Great vid - gives some nice close ups of the 'Master Craftsmen' work.

enjoy.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/6249763-massive-boat-building-draws-crowd-in-san-rafael/

The man has a dream. He likes lots of deck screws. He's a Raider fan. He wears Jimmy Buffett t-shirts. What can go wrong?

I think we all need to watch this video again to get back in touch with the inner Hotrod.

Great vid - gives some nice close ups of the 'Master Craftsmen' work.

enjoy.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/6249763-massive-boat-building-draws-crowd-in-san-rafael/

The man has a dream. He likes lots of deck screws. He's a Raider fan. He wears Jimmy Buffett t-shirts. What can go wrong?

And his parrot is about to join the choir invisible.

What kills me is how he talks about the "thousands of islands down there in the South Pacific" like they are there for his taking.

No shoes, no shirt, no passports, no problem.

I wonder if the hotrod knows how much moorage (even overnight guest moorage) is going to cost for that heap?! ..assuming any harbor master lets him tie it up

I wonder if the hotrod knows how much moorage (even overnight guest moorage) is going to cost for that heap?! ..assuming any harbor master lets him tie it up

hahahahahaha!!! You think it's going to float in the first place. :lol:

I wonder if HotRod knows how much it might cost for the environmental clean-up if it ever gets to the water.

What kills me is how he talks about the "thousands of islands down there in the South Pacific" like they are there for his taking.

... even if he finds an abandoned one, centuries of shipwrecked/marooned sailors have found it a little trying to eke out a fun existence on grass, rainwater, fish and an occasional coconut.

If I'm not mistaken, pretty much every grain of sand sticking up above the water has been claimed by one country or other. Probably not the most uptight immigration authorities in that part of the world, but you never know. And if not them, pirates. I don't think the vessel is going to have a speed advantage over most.

... even if he finds an abandoned one, centuries of shipwrecked/marooned sailors have found it a little trying to eke out a fun existence on grass, rainwater, fish and an occasional coconut.

If I'm not mistaken, pretty much every grain of sand sticking up above the water has been claimed by one country or other. Probably not the most uptight immigration authorities in that part of the world, but you never know. And if not them, pirates. I don't think the vessel is going to have a speed advantage over most.

not many coconuts on Red Rock and that's the furthest island he's likely to reach

Responding to several posts, perhaps in chronological order...

Those aren't windows, they're bailing ports

Deserted island? Wilson?

Anti fouling paint? That's what the baltoplate is for - it keeps lines from fouling. Paint can't do that.

Film at 11 anyone?

Is the ramp where he's rigging publicly or privately owned? I can imagine this boat blocking up the ramp for a week while its cleaned up. Assuming its private they'd probably want to stop him from using it.

Responding to several posts, perhaps in chronological order...

Those aren't windows, they're bailing ports

Deserted island? Wilson?

Anti fouling paint? That's what the baltoplate is for - it keeps lines from fouling. Paint can't do that.

Film at 11 anyone?

Diamond plate. Oh the humanity.

Hotrod has competition...

Looks like duplex framing nails. Stucco or concrete siding, or maybe quick disassembly plans?

Damn you, Timo. 21 pages!

I have to say that Hotrod is a much better carpenter. Of course, a blind four year old would be too.

Damn you, Timo. 21 pages!

I have to say that Hotrod is a much better carpenter. Of course, a blind four year old would be too.

Don't miss the timelapse photography...