U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Oh dear. A very good friend is thinking of buying this.

http://www.bvidiving.com/

I told him I'd never seen an actual boat that looks so much like the infamous FH.

I've shared anchorages with that boat for ages and known a couple of the owner operators. It ain't good looking but is just the ticket for what it was designed to do. Sails far better than you would imagine too. The guy who started it all got a great deal having it built in Nova Scotia as a gov't funded OJT on the job training exercise with the tech school up there. Heavily subsidized the whole build and it have made several fortunes over the decades. I'd have a good survey done before buying, check out FastYachts comments on the NIRVANA thread.

That starboard honker looks bigger, and different shaped, from her port. Ick.

It's an optical illusion and you'd hit it in an instant even if it wasn't.

It's a sad day on the SA Forums when a Noob can criticize a nice set of tits without any requests of showing wife/girlfriends tits followed by strong requests to fuck off.

This place has gone soft.

It's a sad day on the SA Forums when a Noob can criticize a nice set of tits without any requests of showing wife/girlfriends tits followed by strong requests to fuck off.

When you commin home boy ?

Shouldn't you be here now !!

I'd have to conduct a personal inspection before I was comfortable making a decision.

I have already been contacted and accepted the job to perform a complete survey of the dingy including the propulsion system. From the pictures the hull appears to be sound and the propulsion system more than adequate. I will do a complete service inspection and sea trial, I don't expect to find any problems.

I hear there's a pill for that now.

But is it a blue pill?

A week and no new excoriations? My faith in Anarchy is eroding rapidly.

Nice picture, and yes, she seems to have asymmetrical floatation :)

I'd not kick her out of my berth, would you?

Now, back to HR, it's really amazing that it's really still afloat right? Whats the current status of the hull/buckle issue? Any other signs that the anchoring system is ripping thru the hull? Big water this time of year out there, whats really going on?

It takes longer than you'd think for a crappy plywood table or boat to disintegrate.

How fast have you people seen plywood turn to mush anyway? I've never seen it happen in less than a few years and most soupy plywood I've encountered has been quite a bit older than that.

It takes longer than you'd think for a crappy plywood table or boat to disintegrate.

How fast have you people seen plywood turn to mush anyway? I've never seen it happen in less than a few years and most soupy plywood I've encountered has been quite a bit older than that.

I've seen it happen in less than two years, although the boat was about 5 years old and had been getting soft spots for some time before that. The exact situation- an "instant boat" built by myself and neighbor's teen, used as a rowing/fishing/knockabout boat by both of us for about 2 years; then after a bit over a year of no use (I had built myself a better dinghy in the meanwhile, he had gone off to school elsewhere), it had the hardware pulled off and it was literally tossed into a mulch pile. In fact it was a mulch box, for the brief while it held together.

BTW this boat was well coated with epoxy and built of 3-layer XC (cheapest ~1/4" exterior) ply

One of the big differences is whether the wood has to go thru dry-out/absorption cycles, and how thoroughly rot spores have penetrated it. This stuff obviously had the deck stacked against it.

FH is in salt water- that may be inhibiting the decay process. It is not going thru any freeze/thaw cycles, which helps longevity. However it has zero chance to dry out which I think is why Tom's table is looking so good after so long. I'm also amazed the basic structure of FH has held together this long. This is why I am no longer making any predictions... shucks FH could outlast all our fiberglass boats

FB- Doug

I cruise in the Eastern Caribbean. The local boatbuilders working on the beach under palm trees use much the same materials as Hotrod. WBP ply covered in glasscloth or mat on the outside. Sometimes applied with polyester but mostly with epoxy. Inside gets a coat of resin then paint. These are 15 to 20 foot skiffs sometimes used to go fishing sometimes to deliver square grouper.

They expect the ply hull skins to last 10 to 15.years.

Well is the FH still floating ??

I cruise in the Eastern Caribbean. The local boatbuilders working on the beach under palm trees use much the same materials as Hotrod. WBP ply covered in glasscloth or mat on the outside. Sometimes applied with polyester but mostly with epoxy. Inside gets a coat of resin then paint. These are 15 to 20 foot skiffs sometimes used to go fishing sometimes to deliver square grouper.

They expect the ply hull skins to last 10 to 15.years.

Ah, yes, the famous square grouper, long may they flourish.

So...I'm interested. Has anything happened regarding the FH in the last year? Anything?? It moved a couple km's maybe. But anything important???

I would read the last 20 pages but I have a feeling it is BS. Am I wrong.

The FH was in Harms Way this past week

if it survived We need to send a confirmation and acknowledgement of the achievement

I'm thinking a Huge MoFo Rock of 798 tones w a #1 spray painted on it

Nothing has happened.

It seems to have reached some sort of equilibrium as a floating tenement shack.

I suspect a great deal has happened. We just don't know.

Any boat deteriorates and systems break, this one probably more than most new boats.

I doubt HR could go a month without some sort of personal drama.

We need a spy. A brave and friendly soul with Kevlar gloves and a small boat who will go over and just listen to HR, take pics, and report back. Oh, and keep an eye and ear out for lilmurray.

Was just in the area again but had no interest in stopping and looking at that POS.... With the rain and wind, maybe it will finally end up on the rocks of Belvedere or in the grip of the Raccoon.....

With all the rain and the fog as well as a large dose of who gives a shit...

Unknown.

Well then why are YOU reading this thread?

I a local non reporter. I chime to let everyone know when nothing has happened that I am aware of. which it has, er, hasn't yet not happened...that I am aware of.

Yet?

Everytime I have to drag down to the bottom of this page to get the latest hot poop on Hotrod I stop off at post 10936 and my day gets a little bit better.

That's a really nice place to pause if you need a little break...

You are aware that you can avoid all that travel time by simply clicking on the dot or star to the left of the thread title, right?

Takes you right to the last post you read since the last time you looked at the thread.

Here she is again. You can thank Frayedykno-Tarts

Beauty031114-A.jpg

If you like sunsets, you can revisit post 10958, brought to you by the always helpful 167149.

You are aware that you can avoid all that travel time by simply clicking on the dot or star to the left of the thread title, right?

Takes you right to the last post you read since the last time you looked at the thread.

Beauty031114-A.jpg

If you like sunsets, you can revisit post 10958, brought to you by the always helpful 167149.

I don't see a dot or a star.??

:wacko:

I don't see a dot or a star.??

:wacko:

Like this one:

page.JPG

Just click on the dot/star and it will take you (sometimes) to the first new post in the thread. The star indicates that you have posted on that thread.

Surely the train wheel is pretty well set by now but I wouldn't like to bet on the condition of the deck the winch or cleat are ?screwed? ?bolted? into.

Surely the train wheel is pretty well set by now but I wouldn't like to bet on the condition of the deck the winch or cleat are ?screwed? ?bolted? into.

It is my understanding that all deck hardware is secured with 1 1/2" drywall screws from Home Depot.

It is my understanding that all deck hardware is secured with 1 1/2" drywall screws from Home Depot.

Im sure he used HD deck screws on the deck

If that's true then wow, it isn't the shear strength of a screw that is the biggest problem but what it is connected to.

I would have thought over the past 12 months he'd have been improving the FH, he's not like Rimas who can apparently do sweet FA for months on end, he showed heaps of determination in that build (however misguided).

Nothing has happened.

It seems to have reached some sort of equilibrium as a floating tenement shack.

We need a spy. A brave and friendly soul with Kevlar gloves and a small boat who will go over and just listen to HR, take pics, and report back. Oh, and keep an eye and ear out for lilmurray.

Maybe a local could fly one of those nifty quad copter drones with a camera out every few days? We could extract stills from the video and do a montage. Then it will be easier to track the deterioration and rusty dry wall screws and such.

That's right. The very best.

No one knows what fasteners are used or if it has train wheels. Or sheetrock. Lots of BS on SA.

Flash Flood Watch and High Wind Warnings for Wednesday night though Thursday night..

By now he must have added water ballast

too bad it doesn't have actual bows to face harms way

that it's still around could mean it incorporates pilings to sit on bottom

we should send him an early xmass present of a case of Gorilla DuckTape to stop chafing and refasten cleats an stuff

wonder if patio door is tempered ??

This might do it ankers or not.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/09/hurricane-force-80-mile-per-hour-winds-torrential-rain-forecast-for-what-could-be-storm-of-the-decade/

from noaa:

High Wind Watch
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA340 AM PST TUE DEC 9 2014CAZ006-505>513-516>518-528>530-100500-/O.EXT.KMTR.HW.A.0002.141211T0600Z-141212T0600Z/SAN FRANCISCO-COASTAL NORTH BAY...INCLUDING POINT REYES NATIONAL SEASHORE-NORTH BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS-NORTH BAY MOUNTAINS-SAN FRANCISCO BAY SHORELINE-SAN FRANCISCO PENINSULA COAST-EAST BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS-EAST BAY HILLS AND DIABLO RANGE-SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS-SANTA CLARA VALLEY...INCLUDING SAN JOSE-SOUTHERN SALINAS VALLEY...ARROYO SECO...AND LAKE SAN ANTONIO-SANTA LUCIA MOUNTAINS AND LOS PADRES NATIONAL FOREST-MOUNTAINS OF SAN BENITO AND INTERIOR MONTEREY COUNTY INCLUDINGPINNACLES NATIONAL PARK-NORTHERN SALINAS VALLEY...HOLLISTER VALLEY...AND CARMEL VALLEY-NORTHERN MONTEREY BAY-SOUTHERN MONTEREY BAY AND BIG SUR COAST-340 AM PST TUE DEC 9 2014...HIGH WIND WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGHTHURSDAY EVENING FOR THE ENTIRE SAN FRANCISCO AND MONTEREY BAYREGION...THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENINGTHROUGH THURSDAY EVENING.* TIMING: WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING STARTING IN  THE NORTH BAY AND INCREASING TO THE SOUTH THROUGH THURSDAY.* WINDS: WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO AROUND 50 MPH  FOR URBAN LOCATIONS. WINDS OF 30 TO 50 MPH WITH LOCAL GUSTS OVER  70 MPH FOR HIGHER ELEVATION LOCATIONS.* IMPACTS: DOWNED TREES AND FALLING POWER LINES CREATING  WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES. DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A HAZARDOUSHIGH WIND EVENT. OUTDOOR ITEMS SUCH AS FURNITURE SHOULD BESECURED. PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

anyone check for motivated seller on the Frisco Craigslist MegaYACHT ad's ??

wonder if patio door is tempered ??

Must be tempered according to building codes and Federal law. You can't buy a regular glass patio door nowadays.

I wonder how these recommendations would apply to HR and the Flyin' Hawaiian?

Recommended actions

A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.

Excerpted from ready.govBefore:
  • Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
  • Know where to shelter (ie: basement, interior room/hall, bathroom, closet, etc) if conditions warrant and where shelters in your area are located.
  • Ensure your home is ready - Elevate items in the basement which could be flooded. Bring in outdoors items such as children's toys, patio furniture, garbage cans, etc which could be blown around and damaged. Remove dead or rotting trees and branches that could fall and cause injury or damage.

He's got more windage then just about anybody else out there and no enjuns to help in an emergency.

And yes, tempered glass has been code on all doors sold for at least 20 or 30 years. They only make them that way.

yeah, I don't think it's gonna be pretty there in about 24 hours. For any of the anker outs

He's got more windage then just about anybody else out there and no enjuns to help in an emergency.

And yes, tempered glass has been code on all doors sold for at least 20 or 30 years. They only make them that way.

the question was not Does he have a tank of leaded gas = haven't made it for years and short shelf-life

it was does he have tempered glass = That you can score for FREE 9 daz a weak if you work construction

I'll bet Plate glass at best (and they didn't make plate sliding doors = thinking plate as 1/4")

So, does anyone have a camera with a good zoom lens on the west side of Tiburon? If so, we could get live coverage of HR drifting rapidly across Richardson Day straight toward the mud flats!

I 've been in the construction industry for 40 years and tempered glass has been code since then. I just looked it up. Sliding glass doors are so cheap why go through all the bother? They give used ones away! Woody you need to be less........Woody!

So, does anyone have a camera with a good zoom lens on the west side of Tiburon? If so, we could get live coverage of HR drifting rapidly across Richardson Day straight toward the mud flats!

Not quite Richardson bay, but how about a webcam from Sausalito.

Clicky Clicky.

I 've been in the construction industry for 40 years and tempered glass has been code since then. I just looked it up. Sliding glass doors are so cheap why go through all the bother? They give used ones away! Woody you need to be less........Woody!

AInt we smug after our bowl of oatmeal today

You are right why would HR cut corners and use a free door set

This is after all an ocean crossing YACHT

Did you Really have to google that = troubling

Clicky Clicky.

Fogged in at this point!

Clicky Clicky.

Fogged in at this point!

Now it's not foggy, and I live thousands of miles away in NE England, can someone identify the island on the LHS of the image just under the tree branch. Is it Alcatraz?

Clicky Clicky.

Fogged in at this point!

Now it's not foggy, and I live thousands of miles away in NE England, can someone identify the island on the LHS of the image. Is it Alcatraz?

Yes, that would be Alcatraz.

Clicky Clicky.

Fogged in at this point!

Now it's not foggy, and I live thousands of miles away in NE England, can someone identify the island on the LHS of the image. Is it Alcatraz?

Yes, that would be Alcatraz.

Thank you, so the camera is looking SE, and Richardson Bay is almost directly behind the camera. I think I have my bearings now!! - looks as flat as a mill pond out there.

To give folks an idea of how strong tempered glass is, last year I replaced an old 7068 slider (insulated glass, wood frame rotted out) Took it to the recycling center and tossed both sashes in (with assistance, couldn't have single handed it so they must have weighed 80 lbs at least). None of the 4 pieces broke.

Besides, FH's sliders are in the lee, and somewhat protected. HR appears to be an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy, and my guess that lack of chafing gear on the rode,or corroded and/or fatigued fastenings on his winch/bitts/windlass/bow cleat/whatever will send him drifting across the bay with neither sails nor engine available to keep him off the lee shore. The mess in the bay area promises to be big enough that he probably won't make the news, unless it manages to catch on fire.

Allan

It looks as though this storm will blow from the south, as most of them do there. When I anchored in Richardson Bay about 2 months ago I was amazed at the proliferation of "navigable" vessels that had accumulated over the past several years. As I remember at one time the Bay was almost empty after a successful campaign by whoever (BCDC, RBC?) of attrition of the old houseboats that used to be the anchor-outs. As they went away they couldn't be replaced- but no one seems to be able to stop navigable vessels. There is quite some discussion on Latitude 38 about this phenomenon. Anywho, based on what I saw a couple of months ago and in the past during similar or worse storms, Strawberry Point might get pretty crowded after this one blows through. I bet a lot of those anchor out noobs in their navigable vessels are under prepared for what happens when a good one blows through RB from the South- the one direction that it is open to.

If this blows FH off her moorings, what're the chances that L'il Murray will float up from where she's been sitting on him?

HR dodges another one as the gusts don't top 25 mph. That cat definitely has 9 lives.

windfinder_zps57a1ffb8.jpg

Picked up a book from the library this week called 'The Circle'. Fictional novel about a person who goes to work at a company suspiciously like Google. Anyways... The main character is paddling out in a kayak in SF Bay somewhere wondering about the liveaboard boats. It actually says, "why does that barge have a motorcycle on the back?" Published in 2013, I'd say the Hawaiian has made it into the public consciousness.

Picked up a book from the library this week called 'The Circle'. Fictional novel about a person who goes to work at a company suspiciously like Google. Anyways... The main character is paddling out in a kayak in SF Bay somewhere wondering about the liveaboard boats. It actually says, "why does that barge have a motorcycle on the back?" Published in 2013, I'd say the Hawaiian has made it into the public consciousness.

Dave Eggers is great, all the back to Might Magazine. I wonder if he has an account here? That'd be cool.

yeah everyone cepting that woody , seems he's rubbin something else and edging toward the orgasm of his life.....

Still there?

Seriously. The weather gods are making us vultures look foolish. I suppose I should feel bad for wanting to see this monstrosity get busted up. Maybe if I met the guy I might be able to dig up some sympathy.

Seriously. The weather gods are making us vultures look foolish. I suppose I should feel bad for wanting to see this monstrosity get busted up. Maybe if I met the guy I might be able to dig up some sympathy.

Sure. There was some buried with the dockmaster's finger.

Sure. There was some buried with the dockmaster's finger.

Touche. Some weather coming in Sunday?

If the FH makes it to spring this thread should be deleted

Epic Fail on our part :-0

Fail yes, epic - no. It has remained afloat long past the most optimistic estimates but it has never moved itself an inch.

A piece of 2X4 would still be floating too. Actually, it probably would have made it a lot closer to Hawaii than the FH if Rimas is anything to go by.

Everybody here seems to be rubbing their hands together in anticipation of the big event.

imagejpg1_zps3eacd853.jpg

"Patience, shit! I'm gonna go KILL something!"