U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

I'm sitting on a 777 right now waiting to push back. Been checking this thread all evening hoping for some kind of resolution. Glad they are safe, not at all surprised of the outcome.

Yeah throw that guy in the mix too.

well, he got farther than I thought he would, and I'm very glad to hear he didn't take anyone down with him. I was concerned that he would have just "disappeared"

Who knows a boat in the area I can charter to go out to salvage FH? Opportunity of a lifetime!

No! Wait! It's the Gunboat I meant.

The Flyin Hawaiian broke up 3 miles off Monterey today.

The CG airlifted everyone off the boat.

Sounds like bullshit to me

You need to have faith in the Assmaster.

Well, you got the broad details right. About 117 miles wrong on the location, but still better than my estimate.

The Flyin Hawaiian broke up 3 miles off Monterey today.

The CG airlifted everyone off the boat.

Well, you got the broad details right. About 117 miles wrong on the location, but still better than my estimate.

Eh...the initial report was 3 miles or what sounded like 3 miles.

When you have a bunch of hillbillies jacked up on meth on a sinking boat, who knows what they might say.

ummm why are you writing they were on meth.

Eh...the initial report was 3 miles or what sounded like 3 miles.

When you have a bunch of hillbillies jacked up on meth on a sinking boat, who knows what they might say.

ummm why are you writing they were on meth.

Because they couldn't afford coke?

Glad they (whoever the 5 are -- lil'murray, are you there?) are safe. I thought it would break up and we'd never even know about it.

No need to say "I told you so" because everyone on this thread said it from day 1.

The distance from the Golden Gate to the spot where jerryj2me estimated they were picked up was 137 nm and the rhumb line bearing was 203. A week of sailing and only 137 miles. What a slog.

I just cannot imagine the reasoning that would make someone think they could transit an ocean with only an outboard on a 65' multihull barge built like a big backyard shed.

It looks like he was heading toward Hawaii, not SoCal. It is very fortunate for all concerned that it broke up that close to shore (within helicopter range). If it had been lost further out, it could have turned into a real tragedy.

Well, I would say that this has given us more than our daily requirement of schadenfreude. :huh:

Maybe it's time for a H'Rod poll. Suggested poll:

What will happen to Hotrod and his marvelous wood Cat?

1 - Never makes it to the water. Dies a slow death on land.

2 - Breaks up during launch.

3 - Launches but never makes it out of the marina.

4 - Makes it out of the marina, but sinks/grounds in SF Bay.

5 - Makes it to the Golden Gate and is destroyed shortly thereafter.

6 - Makes it to the South Pacific. Hotrod and Mom live happily ever after.

I'm going with 3.

...and all who chose #5 are winners!

Glad HR and his disciples are safe. If any debris show up on shore, I would gladly pay money for a piece of SA history. Might be HR's next venture.

This has been such a great thread, I'll donate some lumber towards his next build.

This has been such a great thread, I'll donate some lumber towards his next build.

Maybe a gift card to Lowes.

Until now my favourite definition of "Mixed Emotions" has always been "Watching your mother in law drive off a cliff in your new car". Now it's the whole end of the FH saga. I want to laugh, I want to feel superior, I want to feel sorry for the guy, I want to feel angry at him, I'm amazed it got as far as it did, I'm glad no-one died for this stupidity and on and on.

Like I say - mixed emotions.

I'd really like to know how he got out the gate and 130 miles offshore - was it all just tidal drift?

I also have a whole new respect for Rimas - he drifted to Hawaii, he drifted back to SF Bay and he drifted all the way to Samoa - HR barely drifted out of site of land.

Not particularly surprised at the outcome. Expected it sooner, I must admit, but not surprised.

But here's a fun question for someone with a chart and dividers: how far TOTAL did the Flyin Hawaiian travel from the parking lot of her birth unto her final demise? 120 miles + what, another 25 or so? Or 50? Did she even make it 200 miles away before sinking?

I have rowed more miles than that in a year. . .though admittedly I had actual oars, and not just a shovel.

Good on him for trying. Yes, I know other people had to rescue him & personally I would have not risked other people's lives etc but I'm sure it was a question he just HAD to answer.

flame away here >

ok, so he chose to scuttle it at sea rather than in the bay where he would have to pay for its removal. He ensured someone on board had a beacon, and he set it off when he hit the shipping channel. Native cunning which might allow him to sell the story. Feel sorry for the guy. He was delusional. Im glad the saga is over and nobody was hurt.

It looks like he was heading toward Hawaii, not SoCal. It is very fortunate for all concerned that it broke up that close to shore (within helicopter range). If it had been lost further out, it could have turned into a real tragedy.

Well, I would say that this has given us more than our daily requirement of schadenfreude. :huh:

Overdose.

The reporting has been rather sketchy (no offence intended :) ), was Hawaii indeed the maiden voyage after failing to sail and failing to motor as the first two tries at motion? Seriously, how fucked up can you get.

Good on him for trying. Yes, I know other people had to rescue him & personally I would have not risked other people's lives etc but I'm sure it was a question he just HAD to answer.

flame away here >

No flame from me.

Yes, it was folly, but it was a grand and magnificent folly which added to the joy and variety of life in a cold grey world.

Well done, HR, for trying. Plenty of people wonder if they could have done something out of the ordinary, and die wondering. HR didn't let life pass him by; he did it, and he has answered his question.

Well no one got hurt and yeah, it lasted a lot longer and went a lot further than anyone expected. Took it, what was it, five days to break up. I don't think I estimated more than a few waves. Hell I didn't think it would even float. But yeah, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that coast guard helicopter. I bet that was one interesting conversation. Did the coasties mention anything about missing fingers ?

We can say the sea trials worked well,nobody got hurt.

Does this mean there will be a few more homeless bums on the streets begging for handouts?

flame away here >

No flame from me.

Yes, it was folly, but it was a grand and magnificent folly which added to the joy and variety of life in a cold grey world.

Well done, HR, for trying. Plenty of people wonder if they could have done something out of the ordinary, and die wondering. HR didn't let life pass him by; he did it, and he has answered his question.

Absolutely. He had a dream, he followed it as fucked up as it may have been. Nobody got hurt luckily. A good amount of people who criticized his every move from their mothers basement are the ones who deserve pity, not Hot Rod. At least he tried.

flame away here >

No flame from me.

Absolutely. He had a dream, he followed it as fucked up as it may have been. Nobody got hurt luckily. A good amount of people who criticized his every move from their mothers basement are the ones who deserve pity, not Hot Rod. At least he tried.

Add me to this body of opinion, While far from a "Well done" it certainly gets a "Good onya" from me.

5 people?

lil murray,

guy laboof

mrs hr

hr

viking.

Guy posted that he was not aboard, but he's such a joker you just can't tell. If not Guy, I wonder who the other person was?

I'm glad lilmurray was rescued from the bilges and look forward to his account of his ordeal in captivity. The smell of the mildewing drywall must have been unbearable.

Not particularly surprised at the outcome. Expected it sooner, I must admit, but not surprised.

But here's a fun question for someone with a chart and dividers: how far TOTAL did the Flyin Hawaiian travel from the parking lot of her birth unto her final demise? 120 miles + what, another 25 or so? Or 50? Did she even make it 200 miles away before sinking?

I have rowed more miles than that in a year. . .though admittedly I had actual oars, and not just a shovel.

Thanks for contributing the phrase "fractal mistake" to this thread. I still enjoy that one.

Hmmm... Almost two years ago, I didn't believe it could be transported to the water intact.

In light of that report, I must retract my speculation that this contraption can be transported to the water intact. Seems it is not as strong as the typical mobile home. This will not end well. I just hope it ends on dry land, preferably with video rolling.

A couple of months later, this speculation:

Maybe it's time for a H'Rod poll. Suggested poll:

What will happen to Hotrod and his marvelous wood Cat?

1 - Never makes it to the water. Dies a slow death on land.
2 - Breaks up during launch.
3 - Launches but never makes it out of the marina.
4 - Makes it out of the marina, but sinks/grounds in SF Bay.
5 - Makes it to the Golden Gate and is destroyed shortly thereafter.
6 - Makes it to the South Pacific. Hotrod and Mom live happily ever after.

I'm going with 3.

If the tide pulls large pieces out under the GG bridge, that's still a 4, right?

I think I later speculated that it would break up when it encountered waves big enough to cause racking. I'm not going to bother digging that one up. The older pages of this thread are too distracting with gems like this:

Damn you, Timo. 21 pages!

I have to say that Hotrod is a much better carpenter. Of course, a blind four year old would be too.

Don't miss the timelapse photography...

I have no kudos or admiration for him. He's a dumbass. It's not hard to to get a clue about proper boatbuilding materials and techniques and he completely ignored all of it. And I don't think he has Rimus' excuse of mental befuddlement.

And he didn't he didn't make it that far. Conditions were as calm as they get and I'm sure FH started failing many miles before it sank. A log raft would have performed better.

Nonetheless this folly still cost the USAF, USCG and others - but mainly the taxpayer - a few hundred thousand dollars having Hercs and C17s go stumbling about the sky looking for the idiot. Does the gumment try to recover any of this in cases of stupidity as opposed to true accident?

I wonder who the other three crew are? How could anyone be daft enough to try to get underway in a death-trap like the FH, let alone go to sea in it?

No sympathy or plaudits for "trying" from me. The man's a menace or worse, having risked the lives of others to effect a rescue due to his immense folly.

What an unnecessarily public way to make an utter **** of yourself!

flame away here >

No flame from me.

Add me to this body of opinion, While far from a "Well done" it certainly gets a "Good onya" from me.

Really??? What did the CG rescue cost?

All he has done is to show, once again, that you can't fix stupid. He ignored bucketfuls of good advice because he 'knew better'.

Nonetheless this folly still cost the USAF, USCG and others - but mainly the taxpayer - a few hundred thousand dollars having Hercs and C17s go stumbling about the sky looking for the idiot. Does the gumment try to recover any of this in cases of stupidity as opposed to true accident?

Nope. However, a few recent cases of public stupidity have lead to very pointed press releases, emphasizing how much $$ was spent to stop Darwin. Mostly aimed at swaying public opinion, I think. Bubble Boy was the last one on this coast - the guy who tried to run to Bermuda in a blow-up hamster wheel.

(disclaimer: I do work with the Coast Guard, but not on the Left Coast.)

Glad they (whoever the 5 are -- lil'murray, are you there?) are safe. I thought it would break up and we'd never even know about it.

No need to say "I told you so" because everyone on this thread said it from day 1.

The distance from the Golden Gate to the spot where jerryj2me estimated they were picked up was 137 nm and the rhumb line bearing was 203. A week of sailing and only 137 miles. What a slog.

I just cannot imagine the reasoning that would make someone think they could transit an ocean with only an outboard on a 65' multihull barge built like a big backyard shed.

137 nm in a week comes to an average speed over the bottom of 0.8 knots. Could have kept up with them in a rubber dinghy flying a medium sized umbrella.

Allan

I just looked at the track of the tanker Aqualeader. Looks like their course diversion was about 60 plus miles off shore. Amazing how clueless the guy really is , still.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/oldshipid:755280/oldmmsi:636015175/olddate:2015-01-31 20:53:00/zoom:9?cb=5827

Using 35.75, -123.62 as coords from where the Aqualeader's track slows to 1.6 knots, I get 100 miles from Monterey, 157 miles from the Golden Gate Bridge, 161 miles from the Sausalito anchorage (~20 miles/day? less than 1 mph), and 171 miles from where the FH was launched at Lock Lomond marina:

FH_sunk_rt_1.pngFH_sunk_rt_2.png

.... ... ...

So, you guys are going to pay back Uncle Sam the buck$ for the rescue? Because IMHO it's a bit unfair that this pinhead not only pissed away a small fortune on a cartoonish-looking "boat" with even more cartoonish construction, ignored every attempt at giving him a clue, ignored all evidence of his "vessels" inadequacy but his own incompetence, and headed out to sea requiring the expenditure of several hundred thousand of other peoples (including mine) money.

I don't care if HotRod wants to play Russian Roulette. He can even do it with his family if they're willing. I don't understand why you all think it would be admirable to do so. But what is admirable about requiring a very expensive safety net (provided & paid for by others) for doing so, when so many people tried to help him avoid the problem in the first place?

FB- Doug

Makes me glad to be Canadian. I got to enjoy the whole thing, and it didn't cost me any of my tax $$$.

If I was American, I would be pissed.

I wonder who the other three crew are? How could anyone be daft enough to try to get underway in a death-trap like the FH, let alone go to sea in it?

No sympathy or plaudits for "trying" from me. The man's a menace or worse, having risked the lives of others to effect a rescue due to his immense folly.

To you and the others that go on about the cost of the rescue, especially in the case of a "true accident". Many rescues occur because of a chain of events of which stupidity is a crucial component. What is a "true accident"? A whale breaching on your boat? Well the sea is full of whales. Hitting something floating just below the surface of the water? Again, everybody knows that is a hazard if even a small one. The cost of the rescue? Pilots need flying time and must fly a minimum number of hours every month. The guys running the hoist, the medics, etc. all need to constantly practice their skills. If the crews are not out flying real world missions they are training, using the same resources. The cost of a rescue is not simply adding the fuel, maintenance, salaries, etc. Many of these costs exist whether they are rescuing some dumb ass or not. Would you rather they convene a board after every rescue, perform an exhaustive, expensive study to determine the exact cause of the need for rescue and then bill accordingly?

I am tired of hearing people here moaning that Hotrod ignored all of the valuable advice given here. Yes, there is a wealth of experience here in all things sailing but I don't recall Hotrod asking anybody for advice. He came on the boards and played around with folks here but he never once asked about how to do something. How incredibly narcissistic of some people here to offer unsolicited advice, no matter how sound it might be and then be outraged that the person didn't take their advice. We are all human and we are all allowed to dream as we like and yes, we are allowed to make choices and we are all allowed to fail. I am pretty sure that the people on the FH with Hotrod were somewhat aware of the precarious condition of the boat. I doubt they were forced to board. They made their choices as well. People are allowed to make any choice they like in life as long as they are willing to accept the consequences of their choices. Hotrod and his family made their choices, I didn't hear him whining here about how he was screwed over, life was treating him poorly, etc. Hotrod made his dream boat, he actually got out in the Pacific ocean and now he is back, boat-less, possibly homeless but alive. I have a feeling he will dust himself off and find a way to survive. Good on him. The naysayers, the scoffers, the I know betters here should just STFU.

in searching google news.. turns out a web site has the story... but probably a recycled photo... what do you think?

2mzfimo.png

in the USCG DB it shows only 2 vessels named Flyin Hawaiian. One a sailboat only 36 feet long. Documentation expiring March 31, 2015.. The other.. Rods Creation.. with no documentation renewal since expiration in 2012:

jtnkw0.png

At lease HR And crew legitimately needed to be rescued.

At lease HR And crew legitimately needed to be rescued.

I suspect they needed to be rescued before they got the first sheet of plywood.... It was only a question of time.

I do hope that he shall manage to deal with the psychological effect of having his dream sink on him after 8 years of hard work.

Makes me glad to be Canadian. I got to enjoy the whole thing, and it didn't cost me any of my tax $$$.

If I was American, I would be pissed.

This rescue isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the cost, in dollars and human lives, of U.S. wars and "special ops".

The Golden Age of Black Ops

"Special Ops Missions Already in 105 Countries in [fiscal year] 2015" [since September 30, 2014]

flame away here >

No flame from me.

Bullshit to both of you! He risked others lives - his pax and the coasties during the rescue. If he set off on his own and dies that's one thing. I have zero issue with him trying - but why do I as a tax payer have to now foot his rescue bill??? Totall BS! This guy, Rimas and others like him need a healthy dose of darwinism. Its one thing to take considered risks - its totally another to be fucking stupid and then expect others to clean up your mess.

A pox on all of you that applaud this kind of bullshit!

Puhleeeeeease. He risked other's lives? Did you ever get behind the wheel of your car with too much alcohol in your system? If you say no, I'd wager you are lying. Did you ever go to fast driving your car? Did you ever do something stupid while piloting the very expensive government toys you used to fly? I seem to remember you and a bunch of others wasted a shit ton of taxpayer dollars in that little adventure in Iraq a few years ago. Hey, my co-workers and I at HQ USAREUR probably accounted for a couple of billion ourselves so don't feel too bad about it. Such sanctimonious bull shit from people here. We all do stupid shit, we have all endangered somebody else's life. Get the fuck of your high horse and go sit in the corner with the rest of the humans.

Just another hazard to navigation.......

Inexperienced film crew trying to make inroads into the reality show business? There is no way in hell that anyone familiar with HR and/or the FH would board that "thing" for the open sea.

Inexperienced film crew trying to make inroads into the reality show business? There is no way in hell that anyone familiar with HR and/or the FH would board that "thing" for the open sea.

There was only one unknown onboard:-

HR

Mrs HR

The prawn of HR's loins - Viking

HR's Mum

+ ???????

Really looking forward to that rescue video. Any one got an ETA on the typical lag time between rescue and release of video ?

First,

Hot Rod Lane.. You survived and you did not kill anyone. You made many mistakes and ignored guidance offered. Wish you would have invested all that money in one of the many boat building plans and kits or one of the boats in need of restoration but you had to do it your way I really hope you have learned a valuable lesson from this.

Keep chasseing your dreams don’t ever give up nothing wrong with asking for directions along the way learn from the people who have already made these mistakes. Best of luck to you.

This thread has taught me a lot about my fellow sailors.

Some of you reached how to HR and tried to help him not just criticize him. That is the sailing community I have always enjoyed these are the type of people I have found in most marinas around the world. One of the reasons I love this lifestyle.

Most pointed fingers, slung insults made wild accusations (meth really?). I would invite HR, Rebelheart and remis or are any of the others you have belittled on my boat over you pompous arrogant assholes I would bet they are more entertaining and fun to be around.

To you and the others that go on about the cost of the rescue, especially in the case of a "true accident". Many rescues occur because of a chain of events of which stupidity is a crucial component. What is a "true accident"? A whale breaching on your boat? Well the sea is full of whales. Hitting something floating just below the surface of the water? Again, everybody knows that is a hazard if even a small one. The cost of the rescue? Pilots need flying time and must fly a minimum number of hours every month. The guys running the hoist, the medics, etc. all need to constantly practice their skills. If the crews are not out flying real world missions they are training, using the same resources. The cost of a rescue is not simply adding the fuel, maintenance, salaries, etc. Many of these costs exist whether they are rescuing some dumb ass or not. Would you rather they convene a board after every rescue, perform an exhaustive, expensive study to determine the exact cause of the need for rescue and then bill accordingly?

I am tired of hearing people here moaning that Hotrod ignored all of the valuable advice given here. Yes, there is a wealth of experience here in all things sailing but I don't recall Hotrod asking anybody for advice. He came on the boards and played around with folks here but he never once asked about how to do something. How incredibly narcissistic of some people here to offer unsolicited advice, no matter how sound it might be and then be outraged that the person didn't take their advice. We are all human and we are all allowed to dream as we like and yes, we are allowed to make choices and we are all allowed to fail. I am pretty sure that the people on the FH with Hotrod were somewhat aware of the precarious condition of the boat. I doubt they were forced to board. They made their choices as well. People are allowed to make any choice they like in life as long as they are willing to accept the consequences of their choices. Hotrod and his family made their choices, I didn't hear him whining here about how he was screwed over, life was treating him poorly, etc. Hotrod made his dream boat, he actually got out in the Pacific ocean and now he is back, boat-less, possibly homeless but alive. I have a feeling he will dust himself off and find a way to survive. Good on him. The naysayers, the scoffers, the I know betters here should just STFU.

You might be as stupid as HR. By your reasoning it is OK that he didn't take advice b/c he didn't ask for any.

In reality, he didn't ask for advice b/c he was too STUPID to even know he should have been asking. And when advice was offered he was to STUPID to recognize the sagacity of said advice.

I'm glad he and his family are safe and sound. And now we'll see if he has learned anything. If he has, he'll move to Kansas.

So, you guys are going to pay back Uncle Sam the buck$ for the rescue? Because IMHO it's a bit unfair that this pinhead not only pissed away a small fortune on a cartoonish-looking "boat" with even more cartoonish construction, ignored every attempt at giving him a clue, ignored all evidence of his "vessels" inadequacy but his own incompetence, and headed out to sea requiring the expenditure of several hundred thousand of other peoples (including mine) money.

I don't care if HotRod wants to play Russian Roulette. He can even do it with his family if they're willing. I don't understand why you all think it would be admirable to do so. But what is admirable about requiring a very expensive safety net (provided & paid for by others) for doing so, when so many people tried to help him avoid the problem in the first place?

FB- Doug

Take it to manifestly unsafe Anarchy and bring specific cost data with you.

My answer is in post 1. Summary: we help boaters in trouble, no matter what dumbass thing they did to get that way. It's my policy and it's our national policy and it's a good one we should keep.

Moving on, Tom Ray, how's that chunk of plywood doing?

Better than the FH and the departed Harlisaki. I suppose I should post one more pic for closure.

You might be as stupid as HR. By your reasoning it is OK that he didn't take advice b/c he didn't ask for any.

In reality, he didn't ask for advice b/c he was too STUPID to even know he should have been asking. And when advice was offered he was to STUPID to recognize the sagacity of said advice.

I'm glad he and his family are safe and sound. And now we'll see if he has learned anything. If he has, he'll move to Kansas.

You might be as stupid as you think I am. The point is, it was Hotrod's choice to do what he did no matter what you or any other pompous prick here thought about his choices. Got it? Hotrod obviously doesn't give a shit what you or anyone else thinks of him or his actions, which is his right.

To paraphrase Spiro Agnew; "A spirit of national sadism prevails, encouraged by an effete core of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as sailors.”

This story is so unbelievable, it defies logic.

The word 'epic' is used all too often, but this is an epic tale of failure.

Maybe there will be redemption at the end, but I doubt it.

RIP FH

... ...

I don't care if HotRod wants to play Russian Roulette. He can even do it with his family if they're willing. I don't understand why you all think it would be admirable to do so. ...

... Summary: we help boaters in trouble, no matter what dumbass thing they did to get that way. It's my policy and it's our national policy and it's a good one we should keep.

Agreed... and I never disagreed with rescuing HR, I disagree with applauding him.

FB- Doug

Puhleeeeeease. He risked other's lives? Did you ever get behind the wheel of your car with too much alcohol in your system? If you say no, I'd wager you are lying. Did you ever go to fast driving your car? Did you ever do something stupid while piloting the very expensive government toys you used to fly? I seem to remember you and a bunch of others wasted a shit ton of taxpayer dollars in that little adventure in Iraq a few years ago. Hey, my co-workers and I at HQ USAREUR probably accounted for a couple of billion ourselves so don't feel too bad about it. Such sanctimonious bull shit from people here. We all do stupid shit, we have all endangered somebody else's life. Get the fuck of your high horse and go sit in the corner with the rest of the humans.

Yes, he did risk other lives. Those on board, those who had to rescue him, including those on the freighter. Yes, other people do stupid shit but Rod here had years to consider his stupid shit and did it anyhow. Along the way, he told lie after lie about his qualifications and experience, blamed the USCG for damaging his pile of crap after they went to fetch him the first time (that we know of), claimed a connection to the Wounded Warrior project, assaulted a harbour master getting himself arrested and generally "lived his dream" at the expense of everyone around him. That includes the marina that initially let him build the thing then had trouble getting rid of him, his own family and yes, the US taxpayers.

Whether or not other people do stupid shit is not relevant. Whether or not other things cost the taxpayer money is not relevant. The fact that other people have been rescued by the USCG is not relevant. You can argue, though I would have little sympathy, that these things are mitigating, but you can't excuse his absolutely stupid behavior. This could easily - EASILY - been much worse. He had no way to navigate that thing and could have drifted into another vessel. Its amazing no one was injured, let alone killed.

Bottom line, Rod had absolutely no qualifications or experience for an ocean voyage and he knew it. No insurance company would have given him a policy for this with no offshore experience. He was willfully blind to each and every deficiency in both himself and his - whatever it was. He ignored not only (granted - unsolicited) advice but also every comment made made here and no doubt other places. This was a disaster years in the making and it was completely, utterly, undoubtedly predictable and his ego drove him to do it anyway.

So he needs to be called out, because if people say "good for him for trying" some other moron will be encouraged. And then the next. Hell, I hope they prosecute him.

If he would have ditched the rig and stayed in SF then he would have had an OK houseboat and that is at least something. Now there is nothing.

... ...

I don't care if HotRod wants to play Russian Roulette. He can even do it with his family if they're willing. I don't understand why you all think it would be admirable to do so. ...

... Summary: we help boaters in trouble, no matter what dumbass thing they did to get that way. It's my policy and it's our national policy and it's a good one we should keep.

Agreed... and I never disagreed with rescuing HR, I disagree with applauding him.

FB- Doug

But without Hot Rod, we would not have the phrase fractal mistake. I know you can applaud that! ;)

HR

Mrs HR

HR's Mum

+ ???????

Could the ?????? be lil'murray (sp?)..... I always pictured him chained up in the cellar

... ... ... and I never disagreed with rescuing HR, I disagree with applauding him.

But without Hot Rod, we would not have the phrase fractal mistake. I know you can applaud that! ;)

Shucks, yeah! In fact I am thinking of naming my next boat 'FRACTAL MISTAKE'

FB- Doug

“It is the mark of the mind untrained to take its own processes as valid for all men, and its own judgments for absolute truth.”

― Aleister Crowley

Thank you for posting this. It gets real old hearing some bitch about the "cost" of rescue, when their truly isn't one. It would have been used in practice anyway.

God bless the USCG . Angels from above...wearing orange instead of wings.

HR

Mrs HR

HR's Mum

+ ???????

Could the ?????? be lil'murray (sp?)..... I always pictured him chained up in the cellar

I thought the void under a double wide was called a crawl space, not a cellar!!

So a couple of comments...

First... I don't like feeling ill will to anyone, so I'm happy everyone was safe

Second... The cost of the rescue was worth the entertainment I've had from this thread for the past few years...

Third... I'm not so sure he was heading to Hawaii... I think he may have ended up there because his steering didn't work...

Fourth... I'm really interested to learn what the failure mechanism was... was it the soggy plywood... or the excessive flex of the platform... or (add any reason here)?

And finally... Hot Rod should serve as an example to all of us...

mistakesdemotivator.jpg

I really don't get these guys who are all, "Well, at least he had a dream." For fuck's sake, it's not enough to have a plan, it ought to be a -good- plan, and then it needs to be executed properly. What a low, low bar for achievement you set if you're going to praise even slightly such a terrible idea, carried out so poorly. If you think it's notable that at least ol' HotRod had the drive to do -something-, then sorry, but the problem is you. Get off your ass and do something worthwhile yourself, you goddamn slacker. And do a good job at it. Cripes!

Sorry, but my role-models and heroes are the guys who have smart ideas and succeed with them, not abject failures who commit assault on harbormasters and leave wholly avoidable debris trails in shipping lanes.

To quote John Cleese:

"In order to know how good you are at something, you require exactly the same skills as you do to be good at that thing in the first place. And this is terribly funny - if you are absolutely no good at something at all, then you lack exactly the skills you need to know that you're absolutely no good at it."

A sad, stupid, avoidable (but absolutely predictable) end to Hotrod's grand dream.

Here is one for the anti-dumbass crowd.

wbf_zpsmyzcpxsh.jpg

This thing ended in one of the two possible ways all knew it would -- sinking on its first voyage and all rescued; sinking on its first voyage with loss of life.

I am all for being able to choose your own path and not letting the nannies of the world keep you from attempting a dream, but that is not the same as a delusional person spending bags of mostly other people's money (ie. his mother) being so pig-headed as to build a vessel intended for ocean cruising using below-standard house construction methods and materials with no regard to centuries of boatbuilding precedent, refusing the advice and help of those who know better --- then placing four other lives at risk on the "boat," placing the lives of several Coast Guard rescuers at risk and costing the rest of us hundreds of thousands of dollars (TWO helicopters and another aircraft) and a private, merchant vessel costs in time and fuel. This is not someone boldly and bravely going forth in life dancing to the beat of his own drum. This is a person who for reasons of mental delusion or mental illness, writes checks with his life that others are forced to cash. He is the exact opposite of an independent spirit.

I would not be a bit surprised if this whole end scenario was a planned event. After coming to the realization that his pile of Home Depot purchases was never going to go anywhere, and after finding out what it was going to cost him in fees and fines to get that thing out of the water and into a landfill, I think he cut the lines and floated out with the tide (with the help of his little outboard), waited until things started to fall apart, set off the e-pirb and let others once again pay for his mistakes.

I see nothing noble in any of this, and I am amazed that anyone does.

I really don't get these guys who are all, "Well, at least he had a dream." For fuck's sake, it's not enough to have a plan, it ought to be a -good- plan, and then it needs to be executed properly. What a low, low bar for achievement you set if you're going to praise even slightly such a terrible idea, carried out so poorly. If you think it's notable that at least ol' HotRod had the drive to do -something-, then sorry, but the problem is you. Get off your ass and do something worthwhile yourself, you goddamn slacker. And do a good job at it. Cripes!

Sorry, but my role-models and heroes are the guys who have smart ideas and succeed with them, not abject failures who commit assault on harbormasters and leave wholly avoidable debris trails in shipping lanes.

Well said!

News flash James. The world is full of stupid people, lawyers, slackers, criminals and other assorted miscreants. Good on you if you feel you have accomplished something with your life. I feel I too have done a couple of good things, maybe helped a few people along the way and I have made my share of mistakes as well and I abhor boredom. Quite frankly I would rather see Hotrod's delusional, pig headed, ill planned and entertaining journey to a relatively soft, bad ending, than to applaud someone for doing necessary but boring work, living a dull existence on the treadmill of a normal life. I think we need both kinds to make life interesting. Imagine a world populated with nothing but motivated overachievers, tripping over each other in their quest for the perfect life. Fortunately there is room for all kinds in this world. Maybe stubborn, slacker stupidity pisses you off but I find avarice and arrogance far more annoying.

You might be as stupid as you think I am. The point is, it was Hotrod's choice to do what he did no matter what you or any other pompous prick here thought about his choices. Got it? Hotrod obviously doesn't give a shit what you or anyone else thinks of him or his actions, which is his right.

To paraphrase Spiro Agnew; "A spirit of national sadism prevails, encouraged by an effete core of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as sailors.”

I might indeed, as I was stupid enough to give Rimas $20.

Sure HR was free to make his choices and I'm happy that he, and we, have that freedom. He has now paid the consequences of his extremely poor choices. Point is, he also had the opportunity to make other better choices, but, stupidly, did not.

Finally, you're quoting Spiro Agnew? I suppose thats makes sense to you since was the HR of politicians?

I might indeed, as I was stupid enough to give Rimas $20.

Sure HR was free to make his choices and I'm happy that he, and we, have that freedom. He has now paid the consequences of his extremely poor choices. Point is, he also had the opportunity to make other better choices, but, stupidly, did not.

Finally, you're quoting Spiro Agnew? I suppose thats makes sense to you since was the HR of politicians?

I hated Agnew almost as much as I hated Nixon but old Spiro did have a way with words sometimes. I had a very slim volume called The Wisdom of Spiro Agnew and it was full of gems. Don't be such a nattering nabob of negativism, FFS.

We all believed this day would happen if FH ventured offshore.

Thankfully there was no serious injury or loss of life.

I'm sure this completely screws up the Lane family financially for the foreseeable future.

I don't think anyone needs to gloat or do any sort of 'I told you so' to Hot Rod.

This happened, we were right, let's show some respect and just let it drop at that.

Fuck that. This is SA!

And besides, how much "assistance" is now going to be rendered Rod and Mom from now on.

Personally I am tired of paying for others poor life choices. Charity is fine with me and I do give to my choice ones but increase after increase of forced taxation for government charity has to stop.

Darwin's theory is no longer how it is. It is now circumvented.

137 nm in a week comes to an average speed over the bottom of 0.8 knots. Could have kept up with them in a rubber dinghy flying a medium sized umbrella.

Allan

Was Rimas driving????

Hm, according to one link I read that thing did not sink but is still drifting about. Let's hope it does sink somewhere deep before it causes some real damage.

I just looked at the track of the tanker Aqualeader. Looks like their course diversion was about 60 plus miles off shore. Amazing how clueless the guy really is , still.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/oldshipid:755280/oldmmsi:636015175/olddate:2015-01-31%2020%3A53%3A00/zoom:9?cb=5827

Too bad Aqualeader did not pick them up as they are headed away from the states. Somewhere else on that course line for Rod would be fine.

I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Me too but that doesn't mean that I would not like to whack him with a stick hoping to knock some sense into him.

News flash James. The world is full of stupid people, lawyers, slackers, criminals and other assorted miscreants.

What? Seriously!? Well that sucks. Who let that happen?

If I were in charge, I would have tried to do a better job.

[snip] People are allowed to make any choice they like in life as long as they are willing to accept the consequences of their choices. [snip]

HotRod didn't "accept the consequences of his choices." He accepted rescue by the Coasties instead.

flame away here >

No flame from me.

Hot Rod did not have a question. It was others that questioned him.

He was completely positive about his plan all the time. He scoffed at others..............in his delusional, tremendously fucked up mind.

.... ... ...

FB- Doug

Fuckin' A.

All this "At least he tried" bullshit is just that - bullshit. It's only luck that no-one died somewhere in this sorry, stupid saga.