U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

found hotrod's current project - looks like Calif plates

 

HotRod found.jpg

Wasn't sure how to edit to add quote for new page context

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

found hotrod's current project - looks like Calif plates

It appears infinitely better thought-out and executed than Flyin' Hawaiian.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

found hotrod's current project - looks like Calif plates

 

HotRod found.jpg

Where are the reef points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's looks to be taller than the standard semi trailer height!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hobot said:

That's looks to be taller than the standard semi trailer height!

Quote

Where are the reef points?

 

particle_board_low_bridge_720px.jpg.b0811aff53d26cb297c7d3a8bf962a52.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2018 at 2:46 AM, Autonomous said:

Where are the reef points?

Can't wait to see the" rutter " he puts on it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2018 at 8:12 AM, Dex Sawash said:

Phil Bolger Watervan

 

the-water-van-a-phil-bolger-design-2.jpg

Phil Bolger...So much effort in so many places to make really weird things that actually floated.  Proving conclusively that function and beauty were not directly linked concepts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Phil Bolger...So much effort in so many places to make really weird things that actually floated.  Proving conclusively that function and beauty were not directly linked concepts.

Yeah there's a thread about that. It's one of my favorites. So was Phil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Phil Bolger...So much effort in so many places to make really weird things that actually floated.  Proving conclusively that function and beauty were not directly linked concepts.

Yeah there's a thread about that. It's one of my favorites. So was Phil.

Yep, a true original thinker. But I like to remind people that he also designed a lot of very pretty..... some downright beautiful...... boats also.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep, a true original thinker. But I like to remind people that he also designed a lot of very pretty..... some downright beautiful...... boats also.

FB- Doug

He would give people what they asked for and nothing else, so you had to be careful what you asked for and ask for "pretty" if that was an objective.

He also seemed to attract customers who had probably asked other designers for something weird and been told to go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could one of the regulars please summarize this thread for the rest of us?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeR80 said:

Could one of the regulars please summarize this thread for the rest of us?

Hot Rod built a giant catamaran from recycled cardboard and it lasted way longer than anyone thought then it went to sea and fell apart.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Hot Rod built a giant catamaran from recycled cardboard and it lasted way longer than anyone thought then it went to sea and fell apart within 24 hours.

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Hot Rod built a giant catamaran from recycled cardboard mistakenly purchased from Home Depot, not Catamaran Depot, and it lasted way longer than anyone thought then it went to sea and fell apart within 24 hours.

FIFY, some more...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That summary leaves out so much though.

Hot Rod studied thousands of designs.

There was a Harlisaki aboard. Also some strange characters, possibly including departed anarchist lilmurray in captivity in the bilge. But probably not.

And my plywood table is in the final stages of decomposition.

There, I think that about covers it.

Wait, we also learned the term "fractal mistake," which has been useful ever since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That summary leaves out so much though.

Hot Rod studied thousands of designs.

There was a Harlisaki aboard. Also some strange characters, possibly including departed anarchist lilmurray in captivity in the bilge. But probably not.

And my plywood table is in the final stages of decomposition.

There, I think that about covers it.

Wait, we also learned the term "fractal mistake," which has been useful ever since.

W also learned that there are two kinds of rutters, those that steer the boat and those that don't

We learned shovels can be used for propulsion

There's more but we want to summarize in small bits at a time

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came here after the fact, but found the education of wading through a hundred pages about motorcycles vaguely worthwhile for the insight to marine architecture provided.   

The boat was custom built for the charter industry, based on observation of a thousand other boats.  Hot rod was an extremely energetic craftsman, but some here doubted his construction,   The hulls were secured to the deck by large bolts, but some thought additional structure might be needed.   Outdoor plywood was screwed to pine frames, but some argued for the marine stuff.   Light weight rutters were hung on the hulls.   A thin layer of epoxy was painted on it.  Stairs were cunningly designed with variable rise.    Superstructure design protected the helmsman from having to look at things in front of him.   Rig size was scientifically determined.   Navigation lights exceeded regulations, being visible for a full 180 degrees.   To skeptics dismay it floated on its lines, and served as a houseboat for a year or so.  Sailing Anarchy succeeded in placing a spy onboard several times, but (he?) disappeared.   Hot Rod got arrested for biting a man’s finger so they sought the freedom of the seas.    The unexpected happened and they hit a wave.   The coast guard denied rescuing the family, despite helicopter footage.   

C28F6E14-A4F5-4081-9D0E-E4CAC52CAF4E.jpeg

737C97B9-4D3A-41B9-AF72-D9F934201C6D.jpeg

E52BA6A3-7087-401A-8987-513FE433761E.jpeg

2BEBE752-0EC7-4518-AFCF-7720950761BC.jpeg

ED6B0F5A-4C06-47BC-80B3-EB14B34C9A28.jpeg

EB9E7E8D-0666-4D79-AFFF-879A850C041B.jpeg

53B685EC-72B5-4FE9-ADFC-B23890BB1579.jpeg

9A79BA2B-B8EC-4622-AA97-28FA05653A0F.jpeg

B23D3EBC-B205-4D8A-A683-033ACE50870C.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is there to know.

For years this thread was top of the page or near.

Nearly all of us believed that Hotrod's attempt to launch the boat using a trailer and tug was doomed to failure.

When ever you thought that things could not get crazier ---- they did.

I mean Lil Murray ---- going to jail for biting the dockmaster --- the pregnant hermaphrodite  ----  USCG claiming the rescue never happened or refusing to release details.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He must have studied 10,000 motor home designs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TQA said:

When ever you thought that things could not get crazier ---- they did.

I mean Lil Murray ---- going to jail for biting the dockmaster --- the pregnant hermaphrodite  ----  USCG claiming the rescue never happened or refusing to release details.

If I were reading a book and it ended the way the voyage of the Flyin' Hawaiian did, I would think the author just got bored and threw any old thing in there then quit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

we also learned the term "fractal mistake," which has been useful ever since.

This was my big take-away from that whole thread!

to quote James McMullen from nearly 5 years ago:

Quote

It's only worth picking out specific details to criticise if it entertains you. This "boat" is a fractal mistake--it is wrong at every level of resolution, from the specific to the global.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for digging that up, Somebody. Funniest line in the thread, possibly on the forum as a whole, though the 1,000 Daze had some winners too.

Made me laugh all over again and I know the punchline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday will mark the 5th anniversary of the launching of the F H. 126 pages of pure gold. If only Lil Murray were here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 10:59 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:
On 5/20/2018 at 10:11 AM, TQA said:

When ever you thought that things could not get crazier ---- they did.

I mean Lil Murray ---- going to jail for biting the dockmaster --- the pregnant hermaphrodite  ----  USCG claiming the rescue never happened or refusing to release details.

If I were reading a book and it ended the way the voyage of the Flyin' Hawaiian did, I would think the author just got bored and threw any old thing in there then quit.

Strange is truthier than fiction

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm pretty sure Alberto is going to take down the remains of the plywood table experiment.

Can we get one last pic, please!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Can we get one last pic, please!!!

Well, OK, but this thread is old and new people won't know why it's here.

So here's my summary:

Much of the discussion in this thread centered around how/when the boat would break up. Many thought it couldn't be moved. Others thought it couldn't be launched. I was in the camp that thought those things would go OK but it would break into two smaller boats when it encountered its first decent sized wave. We were all wrong. It was tougher than that.

Part of the reason for that discussion was that the boat was constructed of shitty Home Despot materials, so there was some side betting about how quickly that plywood would fall apart if it contacted water. Some seemed to think it would happen almost instantly. I was pretty sure that was not the case and brought up my table.

In 2011, I helped a friend rebuild his whale watching boats here. We took my crappiest piece of plywood and put it across two crappy sawhorses and that was our main work table. It was out in the weather from about May or June of 2011 on. In the Spring of 2012, I moved the table over next to an outdoor sink to use as a dish draining station for a party. And there it sat. And there it sits.

In 2014, it looked like this:

ply-table-14.jpg

And in 2015 it looked like this:

ply-table-aug-15.jpg

Last September, when I was evacuating for Irma, I figured I might never see it again and took this:

plywood-table2017.jpg

Now it has finished breaking and has dumped the old flats boat console onto the ground.

It's getting harder and harder to use this experiment as an excuse to avoid cleaning up this area.

I'll take one more pic before I put the wreckage in the fire pit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update. It does look about gone now.  My wife would never give me the time or location to do that kind of experiment. 

What will the fire ants do for shade now? Hide in the PVC that finally hit the dirt?

of course, I would leave it so as not to disturb the beautiful vegetation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Al Paca said:

5 bucks at a garage sale will get you a half decent weed wacker Tomas.

That's not weed silly, it's grape vines...... vintage Table Experiment, sadly no longer available

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I would never allow grape vines that close to the house. That's a passion flower vine that mostly annoys me but my dad was fond of it so I keep it. It's supposed to be climbing the stairs several feet from that corner. It's not supposed to be there, nor in a few other places where it has popped up.

The weed whacker only discourages it briefly.

Anyway, this is how the experiment looked yesterday:

decomposed-table.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

No, I would never allow grape vines that close to the house. That's a passion flower vine that mostly annoys me but my dad was fond of it so I keep it. It's supposed to be climbing the stairs several feet from that corner. It's not supposed to be there, nor in a few other places where it has popped up.

The weed whacker only discourages it briefly.

Anyway, this is how the experiment looked yesterday:

decomposed-table.jpg

with no work or expence 

it has weathered better than the Flyin Hawian

and it you tossed it anywhere in the Pacific it just might actually make it to HI. and beyond 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wood in Tom's table looks rotted beyond use.   But it looks like the metal brackets can be salvaged and re-sued. 

More than what was salvaged from the Flyin' Hawaain.  Well done, Tom.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well at least he tried.... it's not so easy to do as some have found...there are many unfinished DIY project boats for saleImage result for home made project boat for sale somewhere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there are many unique designs tooImage result for home made project boat for saleRelated imageImage result for home made project boat for sale

image.jpeg.30c4a1afeb957fc7992b433d6b79e0fa.jpegImage result for home made project boat for saleImage result for home made project boat for saleImage result for home made project boat for saleImage result for  home made project boat for sale

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add to the Cliffnotes - Hot Rod himself posted for a while adding much to the discussion. (Well to the entertainment anyway) he coined the phrase that one could go 'full reg army' or something similar.  Must have been some thing to do with his hand to hand (finger to mouth) close combat skills. It would be worth finding those pages. There was also a link to another forum about a Korean guy building a shed that was pure gold. In the first few pages of this I posted a link to a news story about him. In it he claims to be a 'master craftsmen'. Have a look - very funny in hindsight. He later claimed he was a pilot, a meteorologist and of course a trained killeras well as a few other things. what he is, is a master bullshit artist but despite that and the way he attacked anyone offering advice you still had to admire his determination. To kill himself and his family.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For years this thread was top or near the top of the Anarchy page. 

When ever I thought it couldn't get crazier -------- it did.

I miss my morning dose of Hotrod, the finest redneck that ever built and launched a boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TQA said:

When ever I thought it couldn't get crazier -------- it did.

It really did go out with a crescendo!

A pregnant trans-gender person and his or her lover as passengers paying for passage to Hawaii?
Who could have predicted that?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 6:04 AM, captpiratedog said:

well at least he tried.... it's not so easy to do as some have found...there are many unfinished DIY project boats for saleImage result for home made project boat for sale somewhere...

Don’t look around my place, thank you. I’m still working on them even if you call them zombies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 9:22 PM, LB 15 said:

Must have been some thing to do with his hand to hand (finger to nose)close combat skills 

That’s better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TQA said:

For years this thread was top or near the top of the Anarchy page. 

When ever I thought it couldn't get crazier -------- it did.

I miss my morning dose of Hotrod, the finest redneck that ever built and launched a WRECK

Fify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 9:48 PM, LB 15 said:

YCMTSU!!!

comedyfied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just loved the whole mishegoss, but best of all was moving the "experiment" from it's natal location to the launch ramp with a FORK LIFT (or was it a front loader ) and dollys.  This was absolute proof there is no God, as Hotsie temped fate and wrath with eveery decision he made.... deck screws into pine 2x4's (and not even the GOOD grade) holding plywood (see previous brackets)...  and that totally clueless interview in the local paper which is how I discovered it... 

 

Priceless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frayed Knot Arts said:

I just loved the whole mishegoss, but best of all was moving the "experiment" from it's natal location to the launch ramp with a FORK LIFT (or was it a front loader ) and dollys.  

Priceless.

He used a chassis from a travel trailer  which he placed under the bridge deck between the two hulls. He used a jack to lift the FH slightly and packed the wooden blocks between the trailer and the FH. During the process he had to weld on some reinforcement to the trailer as it was bending. I think the tow vehicle was a forklift but no forks were seen in any pics.

As fine a piece of jackleg redneck engineering I have seen. Hotrod 'git her done'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TQA said:
3 hours ago, Frayed Knot Arts said:

I just loved the whole mishegoss, but best of all was moving the "experiment" from it's natal location to the launch ramp with a FORK LIFT (or was it a front loader ) and dollys.  

Priceless.

He used a chassis from a travel trailer  which he placed under the bridge deck between the two hulls. He used a jack to lift the FH slightly and packed the wooden blocks between the trailer and the FH. During the process he had to weld on some reinforcement to the trailer as it was bending. I think the tow vehicle was a forklift but no forks were seen in any pics.

As fine a piece of jackleg redneck engineering I have seen. Hotrod 'git her done'.

Mule-headed determination is a wonderful attribute, probably more human accomplishments are due to gritty stubborn cussedness than any other characteristic or talent.

I think it's a shame that HotRod & Son worked so long and hard, with so much determination and resourcefulness, for such a shitty result.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Mule-headed determination is a wonderful attribute, probably more human accomplishments are due to gritty stubborn cussedness than any other characteristic or talent.

I think it's a shame that HotRod & Son worked so long and hard, with so much determination and resourcefulness, for such a shitty result.

FB- Doug

We all thought it a shame that he was putting so much work and money into it... but by ignoring all the help, advice, experience and suggestions we tried to offer... well, he made his bed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I love about shadetree engineers is the way they bring everything down to the level of their own immediate experience. Two classic examples are:

  • Well, I can't bend it so it much be strong enough!

and its analog,

  • It's made out of metal! Of course it's strong!

Hotrod made statements to this effect several times during the build. The one that comes to mind was the weird-ass rutter/steering system. You know, the rutters that folded flat the first time they were used to gently steer the boat in calm flat water...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

What I love about shadetree engineers is the way they bring everything down to the level of their own immediate experience. Two classic examples are:

  • Well, I can't bend it so it much be strong enough!

and its analog,

  • It's made out of metal! Of course it's strong!

Hotrod made statements to this effect several times during the build. The one that comes to mind was the weird-ass rutter/steering system. You know, the rutters that folded flat the first time they were used to gently steer the boat in calm flat water...

Studying 10,000 boat designs...... cost of gas to drive around all those marinas

Designing and building a rudder which fails instantly, leaving you wishing you had just steered with a shovel........ priceless

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Studying 10,000 boat designs...... cost of gas to drive around all those marinas

Designing and building a rudder which fails instantly, leaving you wishing you had just steered with a shovel........ priceless

FB- Doug

Rutter damn it, Rutter. It's copyrighted!

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think it's a shame that HotRod & Son worked so long and hard, with so much determination and resourcefulness, for such a shitty result.

Too bad about the Harlisaki and lilmurray, but the boat did what non-work boats do quite admirably. It entertained the heck out of us, which is what boats are supposed to do!

And this boating tale somehow ended with the only off-the-books Coast Guard rescue I have ever heard  about and a pregnant tranny. Top that! (Not you, Rasputin, as we all know you can, but everyone else.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 6:22 PM, LB 15 said:

Just to add to the Cliffnotes - Hot Rod himself posted for a while adding much to the discussion. (Well to the entertainment anyway) he coined the phrase that one could go 'full reg army' or something similar.  Must have been some thing to do with his hand to hand (finger to mouth) close combat skills. It would be worth finding those pages. There was also a link to another forum about a Korean guy building a shed that was pure gold. In the first few pages of this I posted a link to a news story about him. In it he claims to be a 'master craftsmen'. Have a look - very funny in hindsight. He later claimed he was a pilot, a meteorologist and of course a trained killeras well as a few other things. what he is, is a master bullshit artist but despite that and the way he attacked anyone offering advice you still had to admire his determination. To kill himself and his family.  

It was the "Shed of Doom". It was pure gold.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Too bad about the Harlisaki and lilmurray, but the boat did what non-work boats do quite admirably. It entertained the heck out of us, which is what boats are supposed to do!

And this boating tale somehow ended with the only off-the-books Coast Guard rescue I have ever heard  about and a pregnant tranny. Top that! (Not you, Rasputin, as we all know you can, but everyone else.)

Image result for tranny sailors

 

Sorry, I thought it said 'Tranny Sailors'!

Image result for tranny sailors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hands down, my favorite moment was when Red showed up paddling a rundown ski boat with a snow shovel.  Good Lord.  You can't make it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole bit about the United States Coast Guard's involvement,  and subsequent amnesia is so strange I keep wondering if it really happened.

Were they so embarrassed that they allowed that manifestly unsafe voyage to proceed they are just in CYA mode ?

Quite early on,  when Hot Rod made some supposition about parking it in the shadow of Diamond Head (they call that Waikiki Beach,  perhaps you've heard of it)  I had a laugh and told him not to worry about the permits,  because it would never,  ever get within 2,000 miles of the Aloha State.

Now that I think of it,   some of the debris field may have gotten halfway.  I stand corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 10:00 PM, Coquina012 said:

Hands down, my favorite moment was when Red showed up paddling a rundown ski boat with a snow shovel.  Good Lord.  You can't make it up. 

Shucks, I've paddled a garden planter with a rake...... needed to cross a creek and didn't feel like wading. The owner of the garden implements was part of the expedition, BTW. Probably bonus points if I'd "borrowed" them.

 

6 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

The whole bit about the United States Coast Guard's involvement,  and subsequent amnesia is so strange I keep wondering if it really happened.

Were they so embarrassed that they allowed that manifestly unsafe voyage to proceed they are just in CYA mode ?

Quite early on,  when Hot Rod made some supposition about parking it in the shadow of Diamond Head (they call that Waikiki Beach,  perhaps you've heard of it)  I had a laugh and told him not to worry about the permits,  because it would never,  ever get within 2,000 miles of the Aloha State.

Now that I think of it,   some of the debris field may have gotten halfway.  I stand corrected.

That was mean

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Am I going to hell? :huh:

Difficult to believe this thread pops back up

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

The whole bit about the United States Coast Guard's involvement,  and subsequent amnesia is so strange I keep wondering if it really happened.

Were they so embarrassed that they allowed that manifestly unsafe voyage to proceed they are just in CYA mode ?

Quite early on,  when Hot Rod made some supposition about parking it in the shadow of Diamond Head (they call that Waikiki Beach,  perhaps you've heard of it)  I had a laugh and told him not to worry about the permits,  because it would never,  ever get within 2,000 miles of the Aloha State.

Now that I think of it,   some of the debris field may have gotten halfway.  I stand corrected.

well if it isn't stuck in the gyre, hopefully the scatamabarge has made it to Da Nang-that' Rimas'ride home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

 

Man Shed? She shed? This thing looks more like a Shit Shed... Solid foam floatation baulks it looks like, how is that going to sink? Big bucks in those solar panels though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, I missed a bit.

 

What's this about the Coast Guard hiding / disavowing the rescue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Minnesail said:

I'm sorry, I missed a bit.

 

What's this about the Coast Guard hiding / disavowing the rescue?

Go pack about 800 posts and work your way to the end - Or if you are totally bored, start with post #1, but be ready to commit your entire weekend or longer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MaxHeadroom said:

Go pack about 800 posts and work your way to the end - Or if you are totally bored, start with post #1, but be ready to commit your entire weekend or longer....

I was on near the beginning, drifted off for a bit, then came back briefly when it finally went to submarine mode.

 

I guess I missed the CG coverup part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2016 at 11:20 AM, George Dewey said:

 

 

And apparently there is a government coverup! As longtime readers of this, er... thread, will undoubtedly recall, I filed a FOIA request with the USCG over the final sinking, or alien abduction, or mass suicide attempt, or whatever it was. They sent a letter explaining that they had no records responsive. Hua? I called and spoke with them. They tried again. Still nothing. I sent an appeal. Still nothing. I explained that there exists video of helicopters with USCG painted on the side pulling people out of the drink... All to no avail. I finally got tired of it and gave up.

 

But this I'm sure of... Somewhere, in a deep, dark vault, there is a file drawer, right next to the drawer marked "Area 51", that is marked "HR & FH."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Minnesail said:

I was on near the beginning, drifted off for a bit, then came back briefly when it finally went to submarine mode.

 

I guess I missed the CG coverup part.

Their final voyage was as strange as it could be from what we learned of the cast of characters and (very little) of what actually happened.

Did we ever actually see the video mentioned in the quote Lark brough back up above?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

Their final voyage was as strange as it could be from what we learned of the cast of characters and (very little) of what actually happened.

Did we ever actually see the video mentioned in the quote Lark brough back up above?

Yes, as I recall it looked like it had been shot on outdated Super 8. Very hard to tell what was going on.

Edit: Found it. https://www.dvidshub.net/video/389708/coast-guard-rescues-5-people-sinking-sail-boat-off-coast-monterey?fb_comment_id=985774458117981_989636154398478#f29da8bcd6fee44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2015 at 9:45 AM, h20man said:

in searching google news.. turns out a web site has the story... but probably a recycled photo... what do you think?

2mzfimo.png

 

in the USCG DB it shows only 2 vessels named Flyin Hawaiian. One a sailboat only 36 feet long. Documentation expiring March 31, 2015.. The other.. Rods Creation.. with no documentation renewal since expiration in 2012:

jtnkw0.png

Pp 116 has an incorrect video, later identified as a gunboat.   That may have been misremembered.    Or more likely the Coast Guard unpersons department has been at work editing the archives to hide the evidence.   

Edit.  I stand corrected by Ishmael.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, as I recall it looked like it had been shot on outdated Super 8. Very hard to tell what was going on.

Edit: Found it. https://www.dvidshub.net/video/389708/coast-guard-rescues-5-people-sinking-sail-boat-off-coast-monterey?fb_comment_id=985774458117981_989636154398478#f29da8bcd6fee44

Fake News!

A screen shot:

HotRodRescue.jpg

I wonder if the FOIA request noted that long series of letters and numbers? Or referenced Petty Officer Stanton or the District 11 Public Affairs office.

8 hours ago, Lark said:

Or more likely the Coast Guard unpersons department has been at work editing the archives to hide the evidence.   

Could be. Maybe another FOIA request, this time to the FBI regarding lilmurray's whereabouts and fate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can just hear the occupants of the soggy wreck asking for minimum coverage as they were no doubt very embarrassed (as they should be) and the Coast Guard thinking :"Yeah,  us too."

When you think that probably some luckless boater got a ticket for expired flares and registration while this heap of fail went gliding out the gate with the tide,  they SHOULD be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 11:22 PM, Great Red Shark said:

When you think that probably some luckless boater got a ticket for expired flares and registration while this heap of fail went gliding out the gate with the tide,  they SHOULD be.

Hmmm...

On 6/18/2017 at 8:48 PM, dogballs Tom said:

Good grief. Take it to Manifestly Unsafe Voyage Anarchy. You'll note it has been closed due to lack of interest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss the adventures of Rod and the Flyin' Hawaiian!

Worked nearby and drove past this boat regularly for many years.  45-foot Roger Simpson Liahona Trimaran. Quality of design, materials and construction was a whole 'nuther level.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/peabody/after-35-years-peabody-mans-boat-water

img-3068___10065621463.jpg?width=725

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 11:41 AM, madohe said:
On 5/20/2018 at 5:36 AM, Ishmael said:

Hot Rod built a giant catamaran from recycled cardboard and cardboard derivatives mistakenly purchased from Home Depot, not Catamaran Depot, and it lasted way longer than anyone thought then it went to sea and fell apart within 24 hours.

FIFY, some more...

FIFY more some more....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 6:45 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Mule-headed determination is a wonderful attribute, probably more human accomplishments incredibly stupid ideas are brought to miserably failing fruition by gritty stubborn cussedness than any other characteristic or talent.

I think it's a shame that HotRod & Son worked so long and hard, with so much determination and resourcefulness, for such a shitty result.

FB- Doug

In this case, a careful edit for clarity.

Likely Hot Rod quote:  "It wasn't about the destination, it was about the plywood."

The only real looser [sic] in this sordid saga was lilmurray.  RIP li'l guy, we will always treasure your contribution!

Was it Randumb that might have postulated that lilmurray was really the pregnant hermaphrodite or did I just dream that?

Likely LB15 quote:  Fuck, I love this place!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a short correspondence with the tranny's mother a few days after the rescue of the crew. A pleasant enough person. She had all the normal traits of non-boaters regarding the perception of boating in general.

Pre-rescue: "Lot's of people go boating. How hard can it be?"
Post-rescue: "Boating is dangerous AF!! All boaters are lucky to be alive!"

Haven't corresponded with Hotrod in a while but he did get to Hawaii and finished his rod, which turned out great, and enjoyed life on the Big Island. I believe he has moved back to the mainland. Once out of that corner he had painted himself into, he came across as a likeable fellow. The defensive, deer-in-the-headlights reactions were gone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I had a short correspondence with the tranny's mother a few days after the rescue of the crew. A pleasant enough person. She had all the normal traits of non-boaters regarding the perception of boating in general.

Pre-rescue: "Lot's of people go boating. How hard can it be?"
Post-rescue: "Boating is dangerous AF!! All boaters are lucky to be alive!"

Haven't corresponded with Hotrod in a while but he did get to Hawaii and finished his rod, which turned out great, and enjoyed life on the Big Island. I believe he has moved back to the mainland. Once out of that corner he had painted himself into, he came across as a likeable fellow. The defensive, deer-in-the-headlights reactions were gone.

So no biting then huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel strangely let down by Hot Rod, I was convinced that the FH was his vison of a floating dungeon equipped trailer, that would slowly rot on various more and more backwater moorings as he got moved on. That he took it to sea and it died without video evidence was extremely disappointing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites