U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

On 5/20/2018 at 9:45 AM, Lark said:

The unexpected happened and they hit a wave.   The coast guard denied rescuing the family, despite helicopter footage.   

wait, did we ever see the rescue footage? I missed that!?

47 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

wait, did we ever see the rescue footage? I missed that!?

Yes, we did. I posted it. Good luck finding it.

31 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, we did. I posted it. Good luck finding it.

That's the rescue vid of the transgender person diving in and saving rod whilst holding the leash to the harlyski all while the Hawaiian breaks up in spectacular fashion just outside the gate??   

Hey! I'll have you know he made it to Monterey Bay.

Show a little respect.

:blink:

On 2/9/2015 at 12:47 PM, Ishmael said:

Here's a clip from the Coast Guard site, which is a bit bigger, although it's overzoomed. If you watch the video, that floating thing is much bigger than an air mattress. The small white amoeba to it's right is a swimming person. That red "bloom" coming from the big white thing is nowhere else on the image, which leads me to believe that that is the FH, mostly underwater.

FH.jpg

Also on the CG site is a thank-you from the parents of the pregnant one. http://www.dvidshub.net/video/389708/coast-guard-rescues-5-people-sinking-sail-boat-off-coast-monterey#.VNkZdS6BuT8

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's the den.

I thought it was "dropping the kids off at the pool"

The whole project, and the thread, was a magnificent, glorious fuckup. 

The live commentary on the night of the launch should be in the SA hall of fame.

for me... the most unbelievable moment was when Hot Rod himself was posting... I thought it was BS... some elaborate sock puppet.  He had a phone number that supposedly was his.   I had a friend from the BBC give him a ring....... and... it really was Hot Rod...  Insane....

A movie (@EdLada) based on this would have absolute cross sectional appeal...   But... would be unbelievable for most.. thinking that this whole thread was a drug induced hallucination....    and not even remotely based on the truth.........

Amazing.......   and tragic at the same time......

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, h20man said:

for me... the most unbelievable moment was when Hot Rod himself was posting... I thought it was BS... some elaborate sock puppet.  He had a phone number that supposedly was his.   I had a friend from the BBC give him a ring....... and... it really was Hot Rod...  Insane....

A movie (@EdLada) based on this would have absolute cross sectional appeal...   But... would be unbelievable for most.. thinking that this whole thread was a drug induced hallucination....    and not even remotely based on the truth.........

Weaving the Hot Rod and 1000 Days threads together in a movie would be awesome. I don't know how many people would stay past the first fourteen hours, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20man said:

'Fear and Loathing in Richardson Bay' is the working title for the upcoming production by Lada and myself of the Hot Rod story. Johnny Depp is holding out for some serious pay for the lead role but we think once he reads the screenplay he will not be able to help himself to commit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Weaving the Hot Rod and 1000 Days threads together in a movie would be awesome. I don't know how many people would stay past the first fourteen hours, though.

It would be like Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, The Ten Commandments, The Sound of Music, and Die hard, all rolled into one glorious epic to end all epics.  

With the right cast and director, it would be a shoe in for multiple Oscars.  

49 minutes ago, Zora said:

Does anyone know what ever became of our fearless hero?

Last I heard, he was happily living in Hawaii, working on his cars.  

46 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Last I heard, he was happily living in Hawaii, working on his cars.  

wholesome

9 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

'Fear and Loathing in Richardson Bay' is the working title for the upcoming production by Lada and myself of the Hot Rod story. Johnny Depp is holding out for some serious pay for the lead role but we think once he reads the screenplay he will not be able to help himself to commit. 

sorry... just trying to understand the English here... by commit... do you mean Johhnny being institutionalized after getting too much into  character?

It may make more sense to make it into an epic TV series.... maybe on the selling sailing channel......  or youtube content supported by adverts.....

I see several years of content... Generated by AI.. (deep fake technology managed by Polished programming talent....) and we would not have to pay Johnny any money... or worry about him being committed...

Should we start a GoFundMe?  @EdLada ... you know we can get great software talent in Poland.....  costs even lower....

or Patron Account?

Just transpose the Pacific horizon for the desert and Johhny playing Hot Rod and you might get something like this, 'Legend of happy hour' short film.

37 minutes ago, h20man said:

sorry... just trying to understand the English here... by commit... do you mean Johhnny being institutionalized after getting too much into  character?

It may make more sense to make it into an epic TV series.... maybe on the selling sailing channel......  or youtube content supported by adverts.....

I see several years of content... Generated by AI.. (deep fake technology managed by Polished programming talent....) and we would not have to pay Johnny any money... or worry about him being committed...

Should we start a GoFundMe?  @EdLada ... you know we can get great software talent in Poland.....  costs even lower....

or Patron Account?

I know some pretty savvy programming people here.  

I like the TV idea, we could even film here, there are some incredibly talented Poles in the film industry.  Poles are used to low budgets and improvising, the FH would be a natural for them.  We wouldn't even have to give them blue prints, just show them a few photos and they'll 'get it'.  The Baltic sea is handy and every bit as cold as SF Bay.  There are plenty of places to replicate the delta, we would pay peanuts to use them.  The location costs would be even cheaper than Polish CGI talent.

Call me crazy, but I like Billy Bob Thornton for Hot Rod.  He hasn't been working much, I bet we could get him cheap.  More stable than Depp ever was and just the right hint of sinister.  Imagine Billy Bob doing the finger biting scene.  I'll bet he would really sink his teeth into it.

The film below, released in 2014, was the most expensive film in Polish history and it cost less that $25 million to make including CGI.  It won several awards.  Watch the entire trailer to see what you can get for that kind of money here.

Me with the 3 leading actors.

Miasto 44 rs.jpg

13 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I just love the bull rail/toe rail combo. 

HR studied thousands of docks.

10 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Forget Depp - get Willem Dafoe to play HR - he has the right sort of gnarly looks.

Depp can play Li'l Murray.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Forget Depp - get Willem Dafoe to play HR - he has the right sort of gnarly looks.

Billy Bob Thornton was born to play Hot Rod.  

I see Jason Alexander (Gerorge Costanza) as more the li'lmurray type.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Genius!

Every bit as much as Arnie playing the Terminator.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No, Charlize Theron can play Lil Murray.

That apostrophe is incorrect.

No it is'nt - its a greengrocer's apostrophe

I'm trying to remember and admittedly way too lazy to go back and look. What was the fastener of choice for lagging down the acres of plywood? Drywall screws or did Rod go top shelf and spring for deck screws?

8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I see Jason Alexander (Gerorge Costanza) as more the li'lmurray type.  

I am the Manager/ publicist for Fish Food. I do have other clients. To wit: Charlie Sheen. Perfect for the roll of the Viking.

Maybe you could get Charlie to snort some Tannerite, and then we shoot flares at...

Never get past the censors, nevermind.

22 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Who will be cast as Guy LeDouch?

Too bad Peter Sellers is dead, he would have been perfect.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Who will be cast as Guy LeDouch?

I vote Rick Mercer.

Ron Jeremy?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

I vote Rick Mercer.

Well, he's certainly a douche.

Well, I meant our own SA Guy L.  But I remember that clip.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:31 AM, Rasputin22 said:

I'd think a reader of the screenplay for this story would be thinking, "It has to be at least a little bit believable to be good!"

And that's before getting to the peak weirdness of the final voyage.

And after all that, "then he went to Hawaii for a while and rebuilt an old car" isn't much of an ending.

Hard sell IMO.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, Autonomous said:

Um... The Viking is a young guy. Charlie, not so much.

Charlie could play the harbormaster. Maybe he gets more than just his finger bit off. 

ok. ok.. I know...  if you are going to have Willem Dafoe then... we need to have this story combined with the other great sailing epic....   http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/156426-rebel-heart-rescue-underway/

I seem to recall that people were saying the crazy one (from rebel heart that washed the nappies in the kitchen sink) looked like Dafoe......

We can also do the two women and a dog.....  

wow... I think I know what I have to train the AI  to generate 'sailing' stories.....

problem is that at the end.. if it generated ANYTHING close to reality... people would claim it was too much...... and unrealistic...

\

On 12/13/2019 at 2:33 AM, Zora said:

Does anyone know what ever became of our fearless hero?

Don't you mean feckless?

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 9:54 PM, h20man said:

I spoke with Hot Rod on the phone a couple times. He was a very friendly fellow, and what he made will go down in SA history.

How many of us can claim anything like that other than Reid and HWSNBN?

His only real mistake as far as I can see was turning right toward Hawaii when he should have turned left to the delta.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, eric1207 said:

Where is Guy?  I miss him.

He was in the Jacuzzi when she broke up and sank, I believe giving some lovely young lady a foot rub.

3 minutes ago, mikewof said:

His only real mistake as far as I can see was turning right toward Hawaii when he should have turned left to the delta.

Our you talkling abote HWSNBN ore Rimase?

15 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Our you talkling abote HWSNBN ore Rimase?

Neither. Hot Rod.

6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sorrey Mickey.

The Delta is likely what he wanted to do anyway, but shit got out of control for him, es evidenced by him driving a lumber yard into Pacific.

More like a semi-skilled handyman rec room reno than a lumber yard.

I can't remember if he even put glass on the underwater surfaces of the FH - or was it just painted plywood?

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

Turn?

Flyin' Hawaiian broke both rutters trying to turn at 2.5 knots on a calm day in Richardson Bay.

Turn! lol.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

His only real mistake as far as I can see........

Better pull that tin foil off your windshield.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, LB 15 said:

66592528937790911010.jpg

an unforgettable chunk of near picasso artwork, fractally fucked from whatever angle it's viewed from........... a rare combination

• Like 1

Ah yes I forgot about the dock boxes way up on the bows. Wonder why he didn't just put them at the top of the mast?

I wonder how the charter biz is going.  That free spot on the beach right next to Diamond Head has got to be pretty sweet right now. 

All that Home Depot goodness Rod left on the ocean floor.  I wonder if the fishes have an annual Burning Man sort of event there?

41 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

All that Home Depot goodness Rod left on the ocean floor.  I wonder if the fishes have an annual Burning Man sort of event there?

They call it decomposing fish.

5 hours ago, 167149 said:

an unforgettable chunk of near picasso artwork, fractally fucked from whatever angle it's viewed from........... a rare combination

Looks like an attempt to reduce his radar signature.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:52 PM, mikewof said:

I spoke with Hot Rod on the phone a couple times. He was a very friendly fellow, and what he made will go down in SA history.

Having meet Hotrod in person, and having been inside the FH, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that turning right was most definitely not his only mistake.

31 minutes ago, bhyde said:

Having meet Hotrod in person, and having been inside the FH, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that turning right was most definitely not his only mistake.

I really liked that guy. He and I had a few late night conversations on the phone, each of us getting drunker by the hour. I got Hotrod. He was just like my drunk friends and my drunk self. He had this big, malformed idea, with no real ability to put any kind of precision into anything he did, not because he was incapable of precision but because he was incapable of focus.

The photos of the inside of the hull of that boat, they make me laugh right now, thinking about them. It was like he engineered the whole boat on a cocktail napkin and then blew his nose into it and accepted the dots of boogers as half-decent hard points for the bridge. There was a genius in that boat not because he made a shitty boat like every sailor does in his or her life, but because he made a shitty boat that was so much shittier than any other shitty boat.

To this day, I wonder if that wasn't his intention.

He reminded me a lot of Rick Yukon ... Rick would get a check in the mail for $50,000, then spend it in all of a week on Pai Gow, a chick named "Su-swensia" and a 113.36 grams of inositol that might have had some coke in there. Then I'd see Rick a week later, figured he'd be good for at least a shot of tequila, and that fucker was tapped. He sees me, and he says "gimme a twenty." Rick hated asking for money, so he made himself as ungrateful as he could. I give him my only $20, and he sees that I have a 20 Peso note in my wallet too, the blue one with the guy on the front that looks a little like a Mexican Herman Munster. Then he gets really nice. "Hey, Mike, I spent all that money from my consulting contract, and that twenty will definitely help, thanks for that, but if you give me that twenty peso note too, I know for a fact that Consuela can actually use that for her nephew." And then Consuela always let Rick kiss her neck when he gave her pesos for her nephew. Rick and Hotrod, they live their lives with no memory of yesterday, and they fully expect to be dead by sunrise.

So it begins.

Some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend, legend became myth.

C'mon guys, Hotrod was Dunning Kruger personified, a guy who had no business trying to match his 'contraption' to the sea; who consistently demonstrated his inability to grasp even the most basic facts about the world and the laws of nature that govern it.

2 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

So it begins.

Some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend, legend became myth.

C'mon guys, Hotrod was Dunning Kruger personified, a guy who had no business trying to match his 'contraption' to the sea; who consistently demonstrated his inability to grasp even the most basic facts about the world and the laws of nature that govern it.

You are absolutely right but don't tell Mikey that, you'll ruin his drug and alcohol induced fantasy.

A little mild sleuthing on Facebook. Looks like Hotrod is now traveling around SW United States in a big RV. Maybe Mikey can hook up with him when Hotrod heads north.

To me Hot Rod is an enigma.  FH was a major CF born of arrogance, stupidity and a monetary windfall.

BOTOH the dude evidently has built some bitchen cars, lived in Hawaii, and now is RVing the SW.  I wouldn't mind doing any one of those three things.

Go figure.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 9:52 PM, mikewof said:

Yeah there was that. Oh, but wait, there was also something about spending his mother nearly into bankruptcy. And that small detail about not listening to a lot of really good advice early on. Do I recall correctly that he assaulted a yard manager who was quite generous with him for a time? Also something about a little run in with the Coast Guard when he was an "anchor out" and his barge drifted into... something. Also, that minor bit about nearly getting a bunch of innocent people killed, but I guess that's just part of that right turn. But hey, sure, friendly guy, no harm done.  

1 hour ago, George Dewey said:

Yeah there was that. Oh, but wait, there was also something about spending his mother nearly into bankruptcy. And that small detail about not listening to a lot of really good advice early on. Do I recall correctly that he assaulted a yard manager who was quite generous with him for a time? Also something about a little run in with the Coast Guard when he was an "anchor out" and his barge drifted into... something. Also, that minor bit about nearly getting a bunch of innocent people killed, but I guess that's just part of that right turn. But hey, sure, friendly guy, no harm done.  

If I might paraphrase Stalin here.

A single finger is a tragedy.  A million fingers is a statistic.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

If I might paraphrase Stalin here.

A single finger is a tragedy.  A million fingers is a statistic.

Nailed it there, Ed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Nailed it there, Ed.

I see what you did.

27 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:
5 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Nailed it there, Ed.

I see what you did.

Yeah, this digital world is great.

• Like 1

Just now, Black Sox said:

:lol:

1 minute ago, Black Sox said:

I gotta hand it to you, you're good.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 12:34 AM, George Dewey said:

As bad as Hotrod was, at least he didn't let his family think he was dead for several years while screwing hookers and doing a tiny mountain of blow in Monte Carlo.

Rick Yukon had a level of asshole that Hotrod look like a saint in comparison.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, Ed Lada said:
On 4/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, Black Sox said:

I gotta hand it to you, you're good.

I've heard of opposable thumbs, but you guys are really taking to an extreme

FB- Doug

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikewof said:

As bad as Hotrod was, at least he didn't let his family think he was dead for several years while screwing hookers and doing a tiny mountain of blow in Monte Carlo.

Rick Yukon had a level of asshole that Hotrod look like a saint in comparison.

I suppose he had his strong points. He was a master at prestidigitation. 

9 hours ago, George Dewey said:

I suppose he had his strong points. He was a master at prestidigitation

Prestidigitation? Like magically converting millions of dollars of his contract payments into hookers and blow in Monte Carlo while a beautiful woman assumed he died?

Or were you writimg about Hotrod, who magically turned a few truckloads of suburban housing material into a suburban house that somehow managed to float for a while?

49 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Or were you writimg about Hotrod, who magically turned a few truckloads of suburban housing material into a suburban house that somehow managed to float for a while?

These last few posts are not for the Hotrod newbie. 

On 10/14/2011 at 12:26 PM, bhyde said:

main mast compression post...

post-180-037797800 1318620353_thumb.jpg

Lest we forget. 

On 12/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, Al Paca said:

I just love the bull rail/toe rail combo. 

That is actually one of the most ingenuitive  features of the Flyin Hawaiian.

That boat would have made a pretty good dock.

Visited Lock Lomond where it was constructed the other day.

The open lot is gone and now filled with condos and townhouses. No more room for itinerant boat builders.

I wonder if the residents have any appreciation of the history that property has.

Way to kill off dry storage options.

3 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Then and Now

That's desecration of hallowed ground, that's what that is.  

The least they could have done is erected some kind of monument to the fractal mistake.  Something like a giant finger, constructed of 2x4 and drywall on a CDX plywood base, pointing skyward would be appropriate I think.

The inscription would read; "Better to have tried and failed miserably, than to have miserably failed to try."

Your dream may have died Hotrod, but the memories of your truly monumental fractal mistake live on in our minds and in our hearts.