U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

I trust the wiring will be household Romex? And lots of wire nuts...

Scary to say, but I have seen enough of that method in some real floating boats.

Can anyone talk some sense into this guyu or he just going to burn his life savings

on a failed construction sorta project?

I trust the wiring will be household Romex? And lots of wire nuts...

Scary to say, but I have seen enough of that method in some real floating boats.

Can anyone talk some sense into this guyu or he just going to burn his life savings

on a failed construction sorta project?

Burn? I think you mean burnt.

Like I said, I doubt anything anyone could say would stop this project. A winter of two sitting in the parking lot will probably kill the project eventually. He must be renting the space from someone, and when those payments stop coming, end-o-project time isn't far behind. As long as he is making visible progress it would be hard for the locals to complain, but as soon as all the cash is gone and the project slows down, people are going to start making a fuss. To say it's highly visible is an understatement. My guess is the mobile home and truck will quietly slip away one night once things fall apart and we'll have yet another abandoned dream. Too bad really, I'd like to see it get to the water, but the odds are against it IMHO.

elements-boat-strength-for-builders-designers-owners-dave-gerr-hardcover-cover-art.jpg little late now perhaps ... not sure if it covers floating stick built structures on asymmetric hulls with tiny sails anyway. -will that monster even be able to fight the tide?

At this point i just hope he set aside some cash for personal locater beacons, a radio and life rafts.

I don't remember catamarans being in there, but the book would have still given a good basic idea of what is needed and ideas of where the project is falling hopelessly, hopelessly, hopelessly short.

Hotrod isn't going to be dissuaded until he runs out of money, can't afford to move the half-completed albatross anywhere, can't find anybody who will buy it, gets a court order and ends up carting it away to an illegal dumping site after a long weekend with a chainsaw and a pickup truck.

I'm willing to bet that his study of 10,000 boats was a ride on a Westsail 32 and a ride on a Hobie 16.

I cringe at how his cross-beams have the same size (or nearly so) single bolt that the Hobie 16 uses, minus the structural rigidity of the extrusion-in-casting assembly.

He needs more dome.

My link

IMG_3768.JPG

Why do I all of a sudden fell like wearing a Yamaka?

the picture is upside down. it looks like hes used talc mixed with epoxy to fill the gaps on that tiny block of timber, and just let it all run out. Note that the plywood has the knot holes in its exterior veneer which shows its not marine grade plywood, its exterior construction grade, just as I feared. No sign of glue eleswhere. ILL take delamination and structural failure within 2 weeks for $100 please Scott.

Oh, almost forgot. When I started talking to Hotrod, his phone rang. It was the Sausalito Harbor Master verifying that, no they would not be able to accommodate a 65x32 home-built cat. That seemed to be shockingly bad news, so I suggested that Richardson Bay, not being under the control of the Sausalite Harbor Master and being a free anchorage, would be just the place to go. Problem solved.

<spam>

haha.

methinks you are taking serious pleasure from being helpful

helpful in the sort of way that you just want to see this train wreck happen

</spam>

the picture is upside down. it looks like hes used talc mixed with epoxy to fill the gaps on that tiny block of timber, and just let it all run out. Note that the plywood has the knot holes in its exterior veneer which shows its not marine grade plywood, its exterior construction grade, just as I feared. No sign of glue eleswhere. ILL take delamination and structural failure within 2 weeks for $100 please Scott.

Good eye, but believe it or not the picture is right side up. It's was taken inside the port hull facing inward about midship. The white epoxy with the excess running upward, defying gravity , was in place before the crossbeam was attached. The hulls were actually built at another site and then transported by truck to their current (probable final) location. In the time honored tradition, the hulls were of course built upside-down and then flipped over once complete. The runs of epoxy came from the outside of the hull when it was being glassed, and dare I say, faired. Except for some random globs near the crossbeams, the beams are not purposely sealed to the hull skin. There is literally an air gap, with light obviously coming through, around the hole where the beam enters the hull. There's was no need to seal the gap because the bottom sheeting of the bridgedeck is below the crossbeam/hull joint. The bottom of the bridgedeck, once sheeted and glassed, will seal the joint from water. Frightening doesn't begin to describe this thinking. And just so there is no confusion, there is NO marine quality anything on this boat. The structure is entirely home grade lumber. That's the key to building a 65' cat for less than $500K, and clearly the future of boat building.

...and yes, I really want to see it get to the water, although I'm not sure why. Go the Hotrod!

whats to worry? I'd be worried that the hulls are going to sheer off from each other the first time he tried to go to weather. i don't care if its barn beams, wood is never going to work as a structural grid in a multi. With out a real structurally bonded grid, i.e. fiberglass, this is doomed to fail.

There is a reason that big Multi's cost big money, ... because Builders know what they are doing.

love how our tax dollars are going to pay to get this guy off the rocks.

I think discussions of it lasting 2 weeks or whatever, or ever going to weather, and so forth are overestimating the construction.

My bet is that it suffers major structural damage upon entering the water, if even ever reaching the water before a major structural failure.

He needs more dome.

My link

IMG_3768.JPG

Why do I all of a sudden fell like wearing a Yamaka?

Is it me or is one hull on that boat wider than the other? From the front I said to myself, that looks kinda neat. Then I followed the link and saw the full size pic and the pic of the stern.......yikes

I can't really see them being able to move it without the "beam" breaking loose to start with. I doubt it will even make it to the water and if it did there will be damage to the all so critical bits holding the two hulls together. I think a Hobie 16 has more beam strength than this thing. Also looks like that bolt is through the pine 1x1 which is notched out for the horizontal 1x1 runners. I think the glassed in hull braces in my 16ft 1979 Coronado built by Capri yachts was beefier.

I think his best hope would be to get the thing to a nice shallow creek head and run it aground at high tide and live on it there.

I think his best hope would be to get the thing to a nice shallow creek head and run it aground at high tide and live on it there.

its very shallow where he is, I am betting he will never make open water

Port that area is off the Petaluma river but up a off shoot that is marked by PVC pipes stuffed into the mud? I sort of recall that area not even sure the access to the main channel is wide enough for that thing?

y'know it may be so heavy that it floats ON the bridgedeck, which will slightly reduce the load on those laughable crossbeam connections while the thing is at anchor (which it will be since he will never get marina moorage with no insurance).

Port that area is off the Petaluma river but up a off shoot that is marked by PVC pipes stuffed into the mud? I sort of recall that area not even sure the access to the main channel is wide enough for that thing?

Yep, here's the map Marina

The boat is sitting in the big brown field south-west of Andy's Local Market. If you zoom in you can actually see the PVC pipes used as channel markers just outside the harbor entrance. Outside of the channel it's about 1-2' deep (on a good day). it's a major bitch to get in and out of the marina even for boats that have reasonable steering, which I'm assuming this boat won't.

Did I mention Hotrod's daggerboard setup?

well...not seeing any visible sign of centerboard/daggerboard fittings, I asked what the plan was. I figured he just forgot, but no, he's on it. Apparently the boards are going to be attached to the outer skin of the hulls (below the bridgedeck). No box or cassette required. I have no idea how they are going to be secured (I started to glaze over at that point), but I'm guessing a couple of pounds of screws is the ticket. How this is suppose to rotate or lift is a detail not fully worked out at this juncture. I'm sure it will be novel and cost saving in it's implementation. Since the hull skins are 1/2" ply, I can only imagine the result. Side force? What side force?

If the boat were to get in the water (big if), and manage not to immediately fold at the bridgedeck/croessbeam joint (huge if), any real force on the boards, like from immediately grounding in the shallow water, should pull the hull skin off and leave a convenient, daggerboard-sized hole from which paying charter passengers can easily appreciate the local marine life without leaving the comfort of their bulks.

I'd almost pay to see it.

Thats kinda sad. ha ha At what speed do you even need a center board? I can't really see why he would need them.

Unfortunately, this thing will fail upon transport. Can he homestead it right there?

What's too bad is that he might've been able to cobble together a nice wharram for that amount of cash and labor. And given Wharram lashes his hulls together - it would've fit nicely with Hotrod's sense of structure.

has anyone looked around for a barge that might fit perfectly underneath

with cradle brackets on each side

that might work - if they slide the barge under it where it sits

would look like a Cat to the tourists

would also make a nice basement / holding tank or a pool

Yet = FAIL

has anyone looked around for a barge that might fit perfectly underneath

with cradle brackets on each side

that might work - if they slide the barge under it where it sits

would look like a Cat to the tourists

would also make a nice basement / holding tank or a pool

Yet = FAIL

Ha ha! "Holding tank" The worlds first and largest ever 2 knot shit box 65foot catamaran.

Taking your idea, maybe build a framework UNDERNEATH the thing that is actually structurally sound, to which it is actually-soundly attached.

Of course that would provide an enormous amount of drag, but that's better than breaking apart, and could allow house-boat sort of use for perhaps even a few years.

Since we're abandoning all semblance of seaworthiness, why not run cables from the lowest points on each hull back and forth. This may prevent the house from folding up.

Thoughts MikeWofsey?

Can he truck it to Burning Man?

that's a damn fine idea

Wonder how he calculated the loads for the chainplates and stem fitting.

Ha ha! "Holding tank" The worlds first and largest ever 2 knot shit box 65foot catamaran.

You are being optimistic here.... 2kts? :rolleyes:

Since nobody else has asked the question:

What's it rate?

:lol:

I searched gumtree last night and saw a guy was selling a plastic inflatable jumping castle for $200 that would fit under that thing just right. maybe with a few miles of duct tape holding it to the yoga platform, and a crew of kids trying to get high, theres hope yet....

See what happens when you start to build a mega pos, without sufficient drug proceeds ? You end up in the Reids with nothing even worth Stoweing.

bhyde,

thanks for taking the time to post pics and keep us updated.

I give you props for being brave enough to climb on and walk around and in that thing!

what we need is a live web cam for updates. that might be more entertaining than netflix.

please keep the updates coming!

Hmmm. 3,200 square feet? 65 x 32 = 2,080 square feet. It clearly must have a basement.

Hmmm. 3,200 square feet? 65 x 32 = 2,080 square feet. It clearly must have a basement.

cubic feet ???

Now,that's not very nice. I don't think this fellow needs any help in the mayhem department, unfortunately (for him) I think reality is going to crash his party soon enough.

this is what happens when you pick up an old mast and a blown out sail at a garage sale before you've worked out what you are going to do with it,,,,, And then the wife says, no youre not, and leaves, and hes locked out of the house and left standing in the street in his jocks, holding a 10k cheque in one hand, and his precious sail/mast in the other....

this is what happens when you pick up an old mast and a blown out sail at a garage sale before you've worked out what you are going to do with it,,,,, And then the wife says, no youre not, and leaves, and hes locked out of the house and left standing in the street in his jocks, holding a 10k cheque in one hand, and his precious sail/mast in the other....

Geez, quite the descriptive scenario....personal expirience?

i wonder if he knows about green board, instead of sheet rock - it's what's next to your shower at home

word to the wise, eh?

i wonder if he knows about green board, instead of sheet rock - it's what's next to your shower at home

word to the wise, eh?

ironically

in this case I believe that regular drywall shall be "Greener"

same as the non exterior plywood ;)

in fact the whole heap should be biodegradable before being allowed to spill into the water

now if he would have built out of ferro cement and shaped like coral - it would be a real plus

"Meanwhile, Lane said he's busy preparing the boat for water and would welcome any spare parts residents want to donate"

Again with the donation thing?

Well I have an old washer and dryer (gas) that I can donate as well as an old gas stove ~ Hmmmm let's see I also have a few old windows that he can have...

Didn't you watch the video? He's already got a gas range installed.

I'm eager to see what his plans are for fueling it. Does Lowe's have LNG kits?

NOT IN MY HOUSE. I put DUROCK ® everywhere there was tile. That greenboard crap lasts about 32 seconds longer than regular drywall.

For those worried about transport from the building site, there's a quick and easy solution:

Screw on some airplane wings and engines and FLY it out of there -- which is a much quicker route to the South Pacific.

After all, if Howard Hughes could fly the "Spruce Goose", surely this modern, innovative, lighter-weight craft can do it easily.

And Hotrod would have the only flying nine-bedroom house in the county -- assuming he really knows how to like really fly.

(Mentally remembering airplane crash images from "Airplane")

[if this sounds too ambitious, maybe he should just attach a thousand weather balloons to the boat and sail it over the city.]

The solution I think is to cut it into 3 pieces, truck those, then rebolt and reglue.

It isn't as if there is a lot to how they're attached anyway.

If he finds some land zoned agricultural where one can put up most anything, he can make a house out of it. Of sorts.

the total absence of glue means he can disassemble it and post it to guyana, marked "Hovian humanitarian relief- creek crossing kit" and probably arrive there with his koolaid bottle a full year ahead of the three stooges.

Its probably been said before but "You cannot make this shit up!"

Sailing to NZ in a 2x4 framed fruit box. I really hope he sinks at the marina for the sake of his family and crew

And, New Zealand, of all destinations (in terms of needing seaworthiness.)

let's say for the sake of conversation

the heap was in NZL and had desires to head out to GreenWater'er Pastures

does anyone think NZL would allow that in the water

HotRod should be rescued "In Place" FOB

The solution I think is to cut it into 3 pieces, truck those, then rebolt and reglue.

If he finds some land zoned agricultural where one can put up most anything, he can make a house out of it. Of sorts.

+1.^ Go Hot Rod.

Think rural, son. You've got a couple viable cabins there. Or maybe some apartment needs storage boxes. bro.

Find a location in the country and truck those pieces outta there, And do it before any buiilding inspectors get wind of it.

Roof them when they are in place.

Good job on the quick-release, you know the 4x4 four-inch ama beam overlap with the lag bolt thru it detail.

I'm trying to picture the look on the face of the inevitable coast guard offficer's eyes-on.

LOL at this thread.

Hotrod and his SO should daysail with Reid a little.

+1.^ Go Hot Rod.

Think rural, son. You've got a couple viable cabins there. Or maybe some apartment needs storage boxes. bro.

Find a location in the country and truck those pieces outta there, And do it before any buiilding inspectors get wind of it.

Roof them when they are in place.

Good job on the quick-release, you know the 4x4 four-inch ama beam overlap with the lag bolt thru it detail.

I'm trying to picture the look on the face of the inevitable coast guard offficer's eyes-on.

LOL at this thread.

Hotrod and his SO should daysail with Reid a little.

you put 2 crazies together like that and you betta have a spare flux capacitor on standby. The Space Time continuum and the future of nonhoviankind relies on it.

RD save the lead for a worthy cause. I can think of a couple straight away...

The way the cross beam's are attached and this support:

post-21762-043214700 1319540109_thumb.jpg

It just might make it to the water. Be a shame if it fell apart on the way to the water, I want to see the You-tube clip of the launch. :lol:

• Downvote 1

The 65 x 32 boat might actually make it if this Japanese house makes it to the west coast in the near future. We need some one to rate these two puppies. RACE ON !!!

The way the cross beam's are attached and this support:

post-21762-043214700 1319540109_thumb.jpg

It just might make it to the water. Be a shame if it fell apart on the way to the water, I want to see the You-tube clip of the launch. :lol:

Went by to see it today. Will post pics later when I get home

The things I noticed

1 a lowboy trailer pre positioned under it

2 an off road style ratchet jack holding up the port hull on aft left corner

3 he is on a kind of dirt island in an unused part of the marina near an abandoned shopping center, got a small camping trailer and a couple of cars there too

4 He is good at stairs, I guess

Is he working off of drawn plans or just kind of winging it?

The things I noticed

3 he is on a kind of dirt island in an unused part of the marina near an abandoned shopping center, got a small camping trailer and a couple of cars there too

As a carpenter, judging from the photos that I have seen, I would have to dissagree about him being good at stairs. By the way is there a bulkhead behind those aft stairs on each hull?

The things I noticed

As a carpenter, judging from the photos that I have seen, I would have to dissagree about him being good at stairs. By the way is there a bulkhead behind those aft stairs on each hull?

No need the stairs have far more 2X4's and screws than anything else on the aft end there for they are very strong and no need for a aft bulkhead. LOL

The old 70's style bumper jack is to level out the floor in the main dining hall for the up coming Costume party scheduled for the 31st.

the bridgedeck floor joists were already bowed, and that was just with the weight of the plywood above. The cabin sides and roof hadnt been installed, and there was no furniture inbuilt yet. Still, hes using galvanized screws that look to be about 70mm long, so theres plenty of thread to close up the gaps to keep most things out, like buffalo, and aardvarks.

The things I noticed

So did you actually get to talk with Hotrod? Did he give you the full tour of this little horror show?

The things I noticed

So did you actually get to talk with Hotrod? Did he give you the full tour of this little horror show?

I went and checked this out last week. Did a slow drive by and 2 guys were working hard and fast. One slopping white paint on the yellowed epoxy. The other doing carpenter work. I drove around it twice and didn't have the heart to stop and to interrupt them as sun was setting.

Shaking my head the whole time. Alviso never looked that bad in the day.

White eh ? probably left over acrylic matt ceiling paint cos its extra thick, dirt cheap and can plug gaps up to 10mm with enough coats and a bit of newspaper jammed in first. . providing it doesnt get wet that is. Youd think hed be buying up all the mismatches at the hardware store and mixing them all together to end up with a nappy brown colour.... He must have a spare $10 to lash out on white...

No Bobby - it was early and no one was there - plus i had my youngest in the car, didn't want to scare her

002.jpg

003.jpg

found a macgregor dealership there too

001.jpg

maybe he just shoulda bought one o deese

007.jpg

Do you think he some how got hold of the secret "Bolger Mega Roomaran drawings." The bow is just begging for two bulls eyes to be painted on them where the series of six foot waves will come a knocking for a visit.

This just might be the real version of TORTURED plywood construction.Time for SA to pony up for a name for this craft and toss it his way for consideration. How about BIZZARRO

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

see jack aft

Time for SA to pony up for a name for this craft and toss it his way for consideration. How about BIZZARRO

My vote for a name: TRAINWRECK

train_wreck_01.jpg

Tell HotRod he is welcome to enter his craft into the Exclusive Club - should he qualify

I don't think he can get a photo to enter into the Long Standing Thread

"WHY IS THAT THING STILL FLOATING"

To Qualify:

Yacht must at-least float over night w/o touching bottom or supported by slings

and remain floating in a contained area less than 130' by 64'

Name that Ummm boat contest attempt"

Grand Yachting Residential Estate

or

GYRE = what it shall join if it ever sets out to sea :o

005.jpg

Is HR anticipating enough speed to require spray rails?

(If that's what those are supposed to be.)

Great revival thread for this house boat!!!!

Tell HotRod he is welcome to enter his craft into the Exclusive Club - should he qualify

I don't think he can get a photo to enter into the Long Standing Thread

"WHY IS THAT THING STILL FLOATING"

To Qualify:

Yacht must at-least float over night w/o touching bottom or supported by slings

and remain floating in a contained area less than 130' by 64'

Name that Ummm boat contest attempt"

Grand Yachting Residential Estate

or

GYRE = what it shall join if it ever sets out to sea :o

Looks like hot rod had plenty of success with his mono-hull, so why not a cat?

gr-wally118-w3.jpg

Name suggestions:

"Evolution In Action"

"What Policy?"

"EPIRB?"

Sad to see McKay's chutzpah is not unique.

....looks like he's almost ready for th'rig :rolleyes:

Did he actually build a mast for that thing?

....looks like he's almost ready for th'rig :rolleyes:

..think I saw a picture of a big plywood wingmast somewhere........ :huh:

No.

He bought two (or found two); it's a ketch, I believe.

I'm not going to search through here, but it is posted in this thread.

The main mast is something like 1/2 the LOA. Yeah, something around 30' tall. A Cal25 mast or something.

Obviously a light-air flier! :rolleyes: