U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

The REPO Man can't get it if it's out on in the water ;)

Ding! I believe this is the case.

Hey! - he's a master carpenter I'll have you know.

He would be so fired on one of my jobs.

And BTW I am a master carpenter.

They're called tumbledown steps...

He was going for tumblehome.... and that's about how close he came to other actual boat design features.

Which is also the name of a popular drunken disembarkation technique and, soon, a new method of offloading non-Harley Harley's from sailboats. (Using "Harley" in the sense of "unnecessarily loud and impractical motorcycle" not in reference to the specific brand.) (Ducks and runs for cover!)

County Sheriff can get it, if it's still afloat.

County Sheriff can get it, if it's still afloat.

Within County waters, anyway, if they don't have anything they think is more important to do. On the other hand the Repo man's authority goes out at least to the three mile limit, and perhaps into international waters if the bike was within the US when the lien was filed. "Send lawyers, guns and money ..."

He's probably good (legally) once he's in international waters. If the repo man is hot on his tail, he'd better skip Hawaii, and keep heading West. Better he should tip it off the back porch (conspicuously missing lifelines handrails etc.) and promptly file an insurance claim. Of course that assumes that he carried the insurance required by the loan.

Allan

Which is also the name of a popular drunken disembarkation technique and, soon, a new method of offloading non-Harley Harley's from sailboats. (Using "Harley" in the sense of "unnecessarily loud and impractical motorcycle" not in reference to the specific brand.) (Ducks and runs for cover!)

Harley Davidson- leading the world in turning gasoline into noise without the harmful effects of horsepower.

went by to see it this morning - no pics

didnt get close, but looked from the shoreline

things i could see -windows seem to be in

no straight lines on the house, a bit of mid deck sag. port hull is starting to float at or below waterline

and steering gear is mostly below water

I wonder if some diagonal bracing would help stiffen up the trapezoid.

The patio slider compromises some of the stiffness of the design.

He could remove the wires when in port.

post-17188-0-45584200-1373045440_thumb.jpg

Harley Davidson- leading the world in turning gasoline into noise and vibration without the harmful effects of horsepower.

Fixed - but then being noisy and providing vibra massage is signature for HD is it not?

went by to see it this morning - no pics

didnt get close, but looked from the shoreline

things i could see -windows seem to be in

no straight lines on the house, a bit of mid deck sag. port hull is starting to float at or below waterline

and steering gear is mostly below water

You're telling us you went by, it's sinking slowly, but you couldn't manage to take a picture? Don't you have a cellphone or something you could use?

Starting to get more than a lil concerned bout Lil Murray.

Seems Mr. Murray’s promised docudrama and Romex marine wiring tutorial/pictorial have gone the way of Clean’s long pledged AC TNZ expose, knot to mention some minor tribute to the major player that Ted Hood was.

Don’t believe all this falderal of getting a new job and a life of more meaning; really,, what are the odds. No, I suspect something far more sinister has deprived the feeding frenzy that is SA from his formerly fine reportage. Something vague and disturbing.

Just wondering, but does anyone know if Lil used to ride a Harley? Or a bike that could have been cleverly disguised to look like a Harley??

Hi Allan, you should probably post some tits.

Photos, that is.

And fuck off.

This has been a public service announcement from the Sailing Anarchy Traditonal Greetings Dept

FB- Doug

Like I said before...

TITS! for the newbs, or Fuck Off!

I think HR might appreciate this (if he's following this thread). Then again, he's marching to a Different Drummer...

S/F, Phil

I think a certain amount of slak needs to be cut regarding this dude and the perception he's completely lost in space. After all, the vessel is floating on her lines, perceived or not.. most of you asshole's never built anything,.. commenting on an engineering feat such as this puts you in a category reserved for do'ers not wannabe's.. He's been busy building his dream, you have been busy finding flaws in his dream. I'm in the camp that hope's he decides to hang local, and live the life of a local live-aboard who will eventually learn from his inexperienced building techniques and builds a proper boat. Give him a break....

And if you are not careful, I'll show you my tits..

I think a certain amount of slak needs to be cut regarding this dude and the perception he's completely lost in space. After all, the vessel is floating on her lines, perceived or not.. most of you asshole's never built anything,.. commenting on an engineering feat such as this puts you in a category reserved for do'ers not wannabe's.. He's been busy building his dream, you have been busy finding flaws in his dream. I'm in the camp that hope's he decides to hang local, and live the life of a local live-aboard who will eventually learn from his inexperienced building techniques and builds a proper boat. Give him a break....

He's living his life the way he wants and not hurting anyone and I applaud those things, but his boat is going to twist itself apart.

I guess I should state my qualifications for saying that. I'm any fool. As in, any fool can see that thing is going to twist itself apart.

It's actually not floating on her lines. It is not complete and there is tons of stuff that has to go in it yet. Tons. Decent engines, winches and hardware, leeboards, water, holding, fuel tanks and the stuff that will be in them, sails, I'm pretty sure it needs a complete interior fitout. All your personal cruising stuff. Food and beverages for the 3 to 4 week passage to the Marquesas. Tons and tons.

HR did this to himself. He's the one that said:\

he's going to the South Pacific in this

he's installing 9.9 outboards

he's installing leeboards

he's looked at the design of 10,000 boats

I'll bet a dollar that the FH can't even handle being towed to the Golden Gate and back in those afternoon winds.

I'll bet a dollar that the FH can't even handle being towed to the Golden Gate and back in those afternoon winds.

Too windy to sail 72 foot carbon fiber Catamarans that were built at the cost of tens of millions. I would bet more than a dollar....

You have a valid point

and I agree with where you're coming from

so with that logic

considering total number of bridge jumpers from the golden gate over the past 75 years

And

considering I have fuck-all personal experience in jumping from the golden gate bridge

should you make it public (as did HR) that you are going where the likes of me have never gone

I'll keep my pie-hole shut "to you"

but will talk about how tragically Stupid it was and how it effects others (only when you are done)

at least if you jumped from the GGB you would't likely take your brother & Mom

nor cause what shall be More Pollution every day adding to the F-H before it meets its inevitable demise

Sorry the others are not as sensitive considering their

lack of personal experience in a "Like" life changing ending project ;)

So you're saying people who know better should encourage HR because he's "living his dream"? If he was building a shack in the woods you might have a point but he's not - he proposes taking his family and anyone else stupid or ignorant enough to go along, across the Pacific in that piece of trash.

YOU need to wake up to reality and quit being so fucking touchy feely - HR and his "boat" are dangerously delusional, not the legitimate fulfillment of one mans dreams.

Actually, someone as touch feely as you probably HAS a nice pair.

And by the way, I HAVE built and restored boats.

Seems Mr. Murray’s promised docudrama and Romex marine wiring tutorial/pictorial have gone the way of Clean’s long pledged AC TNZ expose, knot to mention some minor tribute to the major player that Ted Hood was.

Don’t believe all this falderal of getting a new job and a life of more meaning; really,, what are the odds. No, I suspect something far more sinister has deprived the feeding frenzy that is SA from his formerly fine reportage. Something vague and disturbing.

Just wondering, but does anyone know if Lil used to ride a Harley? Or a bike that could have been cleverly disguised to look like a Harley??

has not been on SA since June 5 -- as per profile info -- sent an inquiry if he was ok, --but don't know if he will see it.

has not been on SA since June 5 -- as per profile info -- sent an inquiry if he was ok, --but don't know if he will see it.

it's a web forum. if someone tried to contact me to see why i hadn't been posting on a web forum i'd tell them to fuck off and mind their own damn business. if you don't understand this, you may be spending too much time visiting web forums.

Just to keep a open mind on "seaworthiness" and what can travel large distances (check on a map the distance between Darwin and Singapore)

http://mob1107.photobucket.com/albums/h396/gravmax88/1002710_538692559499992_946309191_n.jpg?t=1373160260

Territory True: In 1977, two lads by the name of Lutz Frankenfeld and Clem Jonestook built a boat made of 12,000 beer cans and sailed from Darwin to Singapore on "Can Tiki". They were inspired by the Darwin Lions Beer Can Regatta Assoc. Inc.

The Beer Can regatta is on today and I was reminded of the voyage of these teenagers, two years after Darwin was flattened By Cyclone Tracy

it's a web forum. if someone tried to contact me to see why i hadn't been posting on a web forum i'd tell them to fuck off and mind their own damn business. if you don't understand this, you may be spending too much time visiting web forums.

looks like you forgot to take your meds today...

surely it can't stay afloat much longer?! has anyone got some spare popcorn, mine's runout...

The FH remains a boat afloat. Perhaps you wonder where the builder's beer cans go.

hopefully the fh, cause where else are we going to go to point and laugh?

The whole Lil' Murray thing seems fishy. One minute he's here 24/7, posting pics and 'innerviews'. The next minute, he's MIA. And when I ask about his welfare, I get some tool telling me to layoff because he's got a life and a job!! Does his new life/job not include the interwebs? Odd.

The whole Lil' Murray thing seems fishy. One minute he's here 24/7, posting pics and 'innerviews'. The next minute, he's MIA. And when I ask about his welfare, I get some tool telling me to layoff because he's got a life and a job!! Does his new life/job not include the interwebs? Odd.

lilmurray did say that his new gig would take him away from his SA and FH overwatch for some time. Now, the timing of said hiatus from SA is rather eyebrow raising....

lilmurray did say that his new gig would take him away from his SA and FH overwatch for some time. Now, the timing of said hiatus from SA is rather eyebrow raising....

I wouldn't be too suspicious, no one thought it would still be floating by now.

Harley Davidson- leading the world in turning gasoline into noise without the harmful effects of horsepower.
You gotta respect their marketing department though. Those folks have skills! It's right up there with Chrysler bringing back the "Hemi" moniker. Harley knows how to sell an image.

Some sheep just beg to be told what to buy!

it hasn't sunk yet?

God protects kids, drunks, and apparently this thing.

"I spent three years on the design of this. I've looked at thousands and thousands of yachts."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_18884125?source=rss

Hey guys how long ago was it the Tin can returned home after its short adventure?

I thought this thread was started by U20guy? Did he change his name and exit stage-left?

You gotta respect their marketing department though. Those folks have skills! It's right up there with Chrysler bringing back the "Hemi" moniker. Harley knows how to sell an image.

Some sheep just beg to be told what to buy!

I was going to post this same thing. Either by luck or design, they have hit marketing genius:

- Their followers are so brainwashed, they are quick to defame all other bikes, and denigrate anyone riding them (see HT misquote above)

- So brainwashed they think they are "Buying American"

- So out of touch with reality they think they are rugged individualists when they dress, talk and do everything exactly alike. (see also 'denigration' above) Heh... sheep in cow's clothing.

- The dream (mystique, image, hype, etc) is so strong H-D makes more money selling T-shirts than motorcycles.

- So strong that a new motorcycle is just considered a starting point to buy and add on more stuff (which they are happy to sell)

It's especially funny to watch the dreamers when they get scared shitless on the first ride, then spend the rest of their days polishing the chrome in the garage, with a ready excuse of "waiting for parts" or somesuch to avoid actually riding the thing.

I guess Hot Rod is similarly in his own fantasy... we're just all waiting for the reality bitchslap, and wondering if it comes before he discovers there aren't topless native girls waiting with umbrella drinks in Tahiti.

(for the record, I ride a 20 year old Honda cruiser that has needed zero repairs or upgrades, and still produces more HP than HD's of twice the size... I also own a 30+ year old boat that actually sails the SF Bay without complaint.)

It's not "he who dies with the most toys..", but "He who PLAYS with the most toys wins" HR is unlikely to ever actually enjoy his toy.

"I spent three years on the design of this. I've looked at thousands and thousands of yachts."

Hey guys how long ago was it the Tin can returned home after its short adventure?

I thought this thread was started by U20guy? Did he change his name and exit stage-left?

Apparently changed his name...

Apparently changed his name...

Bet his user name the F-H would break up by 4 O JULY ?????

Which will sink first, Sailing Anarchy or The Flyin Hawaiian?

Ouch!

Vegas odds makers have their eye on this one.

isnt there a british betting thing which is taking odds on the day/hour etc of the incoming royal birth etc? all kinds of weird off bets also... perhaps they should be introduced to the HotROD?

lol

I found him, Seems he has been a little busy.

Can't really blame him for not posting here.

:D:D:D

Oops! Good thing I'm on land. Had not shrunk file size first time. Silly 1 meg file size limit.

post-99684-0-90633500-1373424718_thumb.jpg

thanks for that shot... it really does not look like its doing too well at the waterline does it? heck, even the seams up high between ply sheets are wavering ? or is it just me

Oops! Good thing I'm on land. Had not shrunk file size first time. Silly 1 meg file size limit.

That looks like barnacles on the bow

I thought he had only glass taped the seams of the plywood but that shot looks like it is completely covered in glass.

It's outlived my expectations as well - I fully expected at least some serious distortion and cracking during launch - it happens to house trailers when they are towed to their final resting place so, by rights, it should have happened to that floating garden shed..

I think we all expected him to try and use the boat long before this, so its surpassing all reasonable expectations in terms of its lasting this long isn't really all that surprising. I'm sure the amount of flex within the trailer used to move this thing was far more than the amount of flex within the structure itself, so its most likely to be sopping up more and more water with every passing day. It will take a bit of time for the voids in the 3/8 CDX to develop the appropriate bacterias that will eventually eat the wood. The short road to materials failure is the stress swelling puts on the joints and the added flex caused by the change in the malleability of the materials

I'm thinking CDX would probably remain intact for 3 to 6 months, just floating in sea water on its own, no paint or epoxy coating, no stress or support by surrounding structures. Barring any storms and assuming he makes no attempt to move it, he might last up to a year, baring any significant freak waves or even more than a few fat girls walking about the deck. I'm actually kinda glad he didn't try and move it, I think we can all agree it would have sunk straight away.

Oh and that paralax issue someone mentioned, I'm not so sure. The figure standing on the hull that looked deformed/slanted wasn't deformed at all, and subsequently ole Rod Moe did install some cable bracing under the deck. Seems reasonable to conclude that there was an issue that now has a bandaid.

I thought he had only glass taped the seams of the plywood but that shot looks like it is completely covered in glass.

It's outlived my expectations as well - I fully expected at least some serious distortion and cracking during launch - it happens to house trailers when they are towed to their final resting place so, by rights, it should have happened to that floating garden shed..

I blew up that pic and I can definitely see glass on the seams. Whether there is glass everywhere else who knows.

The surface looks really rough, either he did the worlds worst glass job or just painted over the CDX either is a distinct possibility

The surface looks really rough, either he did the worlds worst glass job or just painted over the CDX either is a distinct possibility

That's the result of using fibreglass from Home Depot. It's hard to get a smooth finish on that R-20 matt!

about half the price of a Harley.

and half the problems.

Now that I'm caught up I see that I wasn't the first to realize this. I used to have a 2002 Vulcan and it was a good reliable bike. The only reason I sold it was because I was planning to move aboard and didn't want to keep it at the marina. Chrome and salt and don't mix well and I figured I would be too busy with the boat to keep the rust away.

I have been thinking about this 'boat' and its ongoing tale for a while. One thing we can all learn from is how and when it will fail. That has been the subject of numerous discussions.

For the most part, the failure mechanisms of sailboats built in the last 100 years or so are pretty well understood. We understand how wooden boats age, what problems develop, and how to fix them. Same for fibreglass boats, or any other type of construction. Once a lot of boats have been built, there is a good record of what fails, when it fails, and how to fix it.

With the FH, we are in new territory. I look forward to learning about how and when this boat will fail.

So there are some positive things about all this.

Without disrespecting military people, the demise of the FH reminds me of part of the "Ode of Remembrance". If I may paraphrase:

FH shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

about half the price of a Harley.

and half the problems.

Now that I'm caught up I see that I wasn't the first to realize this. I used to have a 2002 Vulcan and it was a good reliable bike. The only reason I sold it was because I was planning to move aboard and didn't want to keep it at the marina. Chrome and salt and don't mix well and I figured I would be too busy with the boat to keep the rust away.

Tits?

I blew up that pic and I can definitely see glass on the seams. Whether there is glass everywhere else who knows.

you sure it's not drywall tape?

well they do make a mesh drywall tape for use with quicksetting mud. Kinda makes you wonder

I think we all expected him to try and use the boat long before this, so its surpassing all reasonable expectations in terms of its lasting this long isn't really all that surprising. I'm sure the amount of flex within the trailer used to move this thing was far more than the amount of flex within the structure itself, so its most likely to be sopping up more and more water with every passing day. It will take a bit of time for the voids in the 3/8 CDX to develop the appropriate bacterias that will eventually eat the wood. The short road to materials failure is the stress swelling puts on the joints and the added flex caused by the change in the malleability of the materials

I'm thinking CDX would probably remain intact for 3 to 6 months, just floating in sea water on its own, no paint or epoxy coating, no stress or support by surrounding structures. Barring any storms and assuming he makes no attempt to move it, he might last up to a year, baring any significant freak waves or even more than a few fat girls walking about the deck. I'm actually kinda glad he didn't try and move it, I think we can all agree it would have sunk straight away.

Oh and that paralax issue someone mentioned, I'm not so sure. The figure standing on the hull that looked deformed/slanted wasn't deformed at all, and subsequently ole Rod Moe did install some cable bracing under the deck. Seems reasonable to conclude that there was an issue that now has a bandaid.

None of the images posted show any additional cable bracing. There is bracing with nice dolphin strikers to hold the bowsprit; but that was there before launch.

Only a couple of shots appeared to show distortions following the launch; everything else appears to show FH holding up quite well to the rigours of the open sea marina...

well they do make a mesh drywall tape for use with quicksetting mud. Kinda makes you wonder

You are crackin me up. It does look like the tape is much wider so I will give HR credit on that one.

Open sea marina ? the guys in a hole dredged out of a mud flat about 2' deep, with a channel and several breakwaters between he and the flats.

Sorry but this things doomed and that strength of epoxy question over time is going to be a considerable part of it. Actually infiltration is going to be his nemesis since this thing obviously wouldn't survive open water much past wave one but slowly flexing away on at the dock will do the trick just as well, eventually.

Sorry mang but this things a wreck just waiting to happen.

If anyone cares, the motorcycle is not a Harley, it's a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad. Probably about half the price of a Harley.

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/motorcycle/moto_nomad.htm

Here you go:

attachicon.gifhotrod.jpg

Probably about twice the bike and probably about four times as reliable as well.

I really don't understand the Harley thing - it's like buying a brand new 55 Chevy. IMHO Harleys only do two things well - they have the best idle this side of a dragstrip and they look good if they are stripped down.

If anyone cares, the motorcycle is not a Harley, it's a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad. Probably about half the price of a Harley.

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/motorcycle/moto_nomad.htm

Here you go:

attachicon.gifhotrod.jpg

Probably about twice the bike and probably about four times as reliable as well.

I really don't understand the Harley thing - it's like buying a brand new 55 Chevy. IMHO Harleys only do two things well - they have the best idle this side of a dragstrip and they look good if they are stripped down.

Yeah but they hold their value well. Go figure.

So much this. I hate the things, they're loud, slow, and fat old guys seem to ride them, but damn if they don't sound sexy sitting at a light.

but damn if they don't sound sexy sitting at a light.

Hmm

I guess if you plan on having sex with a motorcycle

have a lady friend sit behind you on one, and get back to us.

so harleys are only good as expensive vibrating sex toys?

They're great motorcycles. It's easy to put 100K+ trouble free miles on them, and aside from the fuel injection/throttle by wire of the newer bikes, they're like a John Deere Model A in terms of their engineering robustness and simplicity. That visceral feel appeals to some folks, much like a classic hotrod, or an old wooden boat. Are there other machines that may propel you from point a to point b faster, more quietly? Perhaps - but, if you enjoy the journey, then the HD makes sense.

I'd wonder whether or not those who are decrying the bikes have ever swung a leg across one. I'm not an HD bigot, I've got two in my garage, as well as 4 Japanese motorcycles. I like 'em all - they all do something different, but, they all make me smile when I twist the throttle.

That said - I've been busy w/work, and am too lazy/tired/hot (Death Valley SUCKS for temps this time of year!) to read the 10+ pages of this thread I'm behind on - has HR moved the boat? Is it taking on water yet?

I'd wonder whether or not those who are decrying the bikes have ever swung a leg across one. I'm not an HD bigot, I've got two in my garage, as well as 4 Japanese motorcycles. I like 'em all - they all do something different, but, they all make me smile when I twist the throttle.

That said - I've been busy w/work, and am too lazy/tired/hot (Death Valley SUCKS for temps this time of year!) to read the 10+ pages of this thread I'm behind on - has HR moved the boat? Is it taking on water yet?

It's cause you are one of the ones that gets it; Not *what* you ride, but *that* you ride. It's the attitude of "rather pimp my sister than ride anything else" that starts things off.

Kinda like boats; there's a range from slow comfy cruisers to planning sportboats, to foiling trimarans... Just cause you prefer one style doesn't mean the others aren't also perfectly valid ways to enjoy sailing.

Mostly, it looks like a perfectly good motorcycle, and I hate to think it might end up rusting on the bottom of the bay.

As for the FH, no reports of taking on water yet, the waterline and hull seems unchanged, but it hasn't moved in weeks.

Question for anyone onsite: any sign of the outboard motors being mounted? (or even present?)

No sign of any outboard or other motors. Boat still floats. Only movement is from tides and wind which is unusually strong this year. Word is saws make lots of noise daily, construction of whatever progresses. Results are yet to be seen.

No sign of any outboard or other motors. Boat still floats. Only movement is from tides and wind which is unusually strong this year. Word is saws make lots of noise daily, construction of whatever progresses. Results are yet to be seen.

Thanks for that - Kirwan, you too!

I've seen the type of fat, wrinkled up, leather faced wombats that tend to be found on the pillion seats of Harleys, no coincidence it takes a paint shaker get one off.

They're great motorcycles. It's easy to put 100K+ trouble free miles on them, and aside from the fuel injection/throttle by wire of the newer bikes, they're like a John Deere Model A in terms of their engineering robustness and simplicity. That visceral feel appeals to some folks, much like a classic hotrod, or an old wooden boat. Are there other machines that may propel you from point a to point b faster, more quietly? Perhaps - but, if you enjoy the journey, then the HD makes sense.

I've ridden many, they are underpowered, heavy, vibrating, agricultural, pot metal, marketing driven heaps of Chinese made assembled in America chrome slathered shit generally ridden by fashion lemmings and backward inbred hillbilly stumpfucks.

I've ridden many, they are underpowered, heavy, vibrating, agricultural, pot metal, marketing driven heaps of Chinese made assembled in America chrome slathered shit generally ridden by fashion lemmings and backward inbred hillbilly stumpfucks.

With the influx of middle aged lawyers and orthodontists taking over the Harley market the old biker credo of "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" has changed to "Live to Ride, Ride to Brunch".

When you buy a Hog are you issued a beer gut and a bushy beard or are sales of them restricted to people already sporting them? Rebels without a clue.

I've seen the type of fat, wrinkled up, leather faced wombats that tend to be found on the pillion seats of Harleys, no coincidence it takes a paint shaker Nice Custom Tits get one off.

as a Harley Owner/Rider I Fucking Laugh when I read the anti-HD shit posted here

OH Gutta buy one and customize it

FACK me I forgot I am in 1D-Anarchy

Apologizes to all who UP-Grade Bits an Pieces of their ride

1-D people NEVER UP-Grade do they ???? :lol:

Now that we're thoroughly off-track...

My favorite Harley story took place a decade ago. Major intersection in southern California -- Pacific Coast Highway and a major numbered route.

I am first in line in the #1 lane at the stop-light.

Up next to me pulls a Harley piloted by a lawyer, orthodontist, accountant... I couldn't tell. He had all the shiny new accoutrement including faux nazi helmet, long Easy Rider fringe on his leather jacket, too-cool-for-school designer shades -- fully decked out.

He pulls up along-side, slows, puts his foot down and - oops! - the bike continues on over onto its side. The pilot is left standing there like an idiot, staring down at his brand new baby lying on its side for all to see and admire.

I swear I heard him sobbing like a little schoolgirl.

Light turned green; I went on my way.

Okay, I have searched and searched... It looks like this ark got launched somewhere around page 27, but are there no pics of the splashing? Has it managed to go anywhere?

Now that we're thoroughly off-track...

My favorite Harley story took place a decade ago. Major intersection in southern California -- Pacific Coast Highway and a major numbered route.

I am