U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Go the spoffo, at last we have an informed commentary. I sense a documentary film in the making here, with good quality reporting and decent pictures. Cmon dawoody, you are being upstaged in the exclusive photo shoot stakes, at a critical time... Pick up your game lad...

It sounds like Rod's going to have someone he can blame other than himself. Guess he's gonna learn zero when it breaks up/sinks.

Now it's going to be' I WAS right, they were wrong, and I can sue', and when he loses in court it'll have been a conspiracy by the man, just like charging to build a proper boat.

+ 1

Wow, thanks Spoffo.

Apparently the Rod was still convinced of his barge? "Brand new boat"...

The sense of reality is weak with this one. I had the feeling he was somehow getting a little closer to reality over the last weeks, apparently not.

I've just

Chapter 3 Tempers Fly - As HR was messing with his anchor tackle, the Bayliner appeared from the direction of the marina towing the dinghy (aka "tender".) It was being driven by the guy I've started calling "crew." This is a big, younger guy with long (like down his back long) reddish hair. He's been with the boat since they left the marina, but back when they were anchored farther out, and I had to use a 20-40x scope to see anything, I was identifying him as Mrs. Rod based on the hair. (I've since seen her puttering around, and she has short gray hair.)

So, crew ties the bayliner alongside and he and HR disappear onto the back porch (which is out of sight the way the boat is lying.) Shortly thereafter a hellacious screaming argument breaks out, with Rod doing most of the screaming. I was able to pick up a few repeated phrases . . . "asshole!" a lot and . . . . (wait for it) . . . . "knocked a hole in my fucking boat!" . . . . or sometimes "knocked a fucking hole in my brand new boat.."

After his screaming match with Crew (maybe we should call him "Red" or "the Viking"), HR paced up and down the deck shouting much of the same content into his cellphone.

Eventually I pieced together that Crew's mission when he went to the marina had been to meet with the person who had knocked the hole and arrive at at some kind of agreement or admission of liability or whatever, and that HR was going ballistic because this had not been achieved. Somewhere in there I heard mention that a "bent prop" was part of the argument.

I just re-read this from a different angle. How does this sound as a possibility?

Hot Rod realises FH has gone aground. HR knows next to nothing about tides and doesn't even think about how pointless it is trying to tow something off on a falling tide

FH is making strange noises so he panics a bit and sends Crew (RedViking? :D ) to go get the marina towboat to try and get FH afloat again as he can't push with the Bayliner. The marina very stupidly lends Red the towboat.

Red tries to push FH with the towboat, doing the damage/marks that's visible and knocks a hole in FH. At some point Red hits something solid with the towboat prop bending it badly. (hence Hot Rod having a screaming hissy fit at Red on his return) then the marina ring him and tell him he needs to pay for the prop that Red broke..

Wow, thanks Spoffo.

Apparently the Rod was still convinced of his barge? "Brand new boat"...

The sense of reality is weak with this one. I had the feeling he was somehow getting a little closer to reality over the last weeks, apparently not.

The man is impervious to information, which is the root of the comedy/tragedy here. This thread is going to be two years old soon. I don't expect him to change and will probably quickly lose interest if he does.

Tow boats damage the boats they are rescuing pretty regularly. I'm no lawyer, but my impression has been that if they pull a cleat out of your boat because you asked them to tug you off a flat, you're SOL. If your boat is so flimsy that a normal shove puts a hole in it, you're SOL. Any real lawyers know the law on that?

You don't need to be a lawyer to work out that rod couldn't afford the bus ride to their office, little own hire one.

Go for it rod you are a glorious idiot.

Just wondering how much it would cost to ship my roll-up inflatable and tiny Nissan to Spoffo... Probably less than driving out there, and certainly more tolerable to the wife...

But first let me ask one more time: are there any anarchists in San Francisco Bay with a friggin' boat???

Somebody really needs to go aim a video camera at HR and ask him nicely for his side of the tugboat story.

The marina's story, if any, will be boring. I seriously doubt it will include allowing anyone but employees to drive their boat.

Proper reporting includes both sides. I'd start with the side that is least likely to come at you like a spider monkey on crack.

It sounds like Rod's going to have someone he can blame other than himself. Guess he's gonna learn zero when it breaks up/sinks.

Now it's going to be' I WAS right, they were wrong, and I can sue', and when he loses in court it'll have been a conspiracy by the man, just like charging to build a proper boat.

+ 1

this is kinda why I wish we had all sent him a box of old parts each. So he could have just started sailing right away. Then once underway his POS would fail rather more suddenly and he wouldn't have a box to stand on and yell "I've been wronged!"

Go the Spoffo! Thanks so much.

This is the best entertainment on SA since Reid Stowe parked the cheese scow.

Eh...bottom paint doesn't last forever so easy enough to fix at the next haul out....i'm sure the man with the plan has this all figured out!

Actually, and not that i'm suggesting there is ANY chance that this day will ever come...but other than "in pieces using a bucket loader" how WOULD the FH get hauled out? Something tells me that they don't have the necessary light duty double wide chassis on hand in Lanai!

Eds, Mods, Clean, who the hell ever, Spoffo deserves swag for his fine reporting skills. Give the guy one of those fancy SA belts or homo-wigger flat bill SA hats. 'Least promote the dude to Anarchist. JFC, this thing is going on 2yrs now. Not since Lil Murr was - we assume, as he's still MIA- abducted by HR and crew has such in depth, detailed information been provided to us that are still internet stalking this unfortunate family.

Tom Ray, you've presented an excellent idea. If you end up driving out there, swing by here and pick me up. We'll split gas money and I'll bring some bourbon and Bluegrass.

Friday afternoon about 3:30, local high tide, a friend has volunteered his dinghy for the trip to circumnavigate the newly discovered island of Hawaiian, located just outside the San Rafael Canal. Pictures and maybe a video will be posted as soon as I can afterward.

Proper reporting includes both sides. I'd start with the side that is least likely to come at you like a spider monkey on crack.

Both sides would be interesting, but if you talk to HR first, you can get their reaction to his tale.

If someone wants to bother them. They're trying to run a business. It's HR who is in the business of entertaining us. ;)

Meuritt, way to go, and please try to talk to them.

Hmmm, Woodys amphibi-car and the FH on the same stretch of water at the same time...wouldn't that be like crossing the streams?

Worse! derp.png

I think if you tried to record the conversation for posterity and historical purposes your equipment would explode. lol.gif

He should have studied 10,001 designs.

Spoffo, you're da man!

But this theory may have a hole in it... Why would the marina try to push him out of mud, I would think they would know better? Would they not just tell him to wait for high tide? Also, why would the marina loan him a boat?

That box of parts would of had to include correctly designed rudders and gear to turn them.

My theory is that the mickey-mouse pull-pull gizmo HR so proudly showed off broke the very first time he used it. That little welded "tower" providing leverage for the cables most likely folded or broke off at the weld. After HR's great engineering project failed, he was thrown for a loss so completely that he hasn't even begun to evaluate alternatives. Remember... it's Hot Rod; in his brain he's thinking, "It was WELDED! How could it possibly break?!?!" His poor meth-addled brain is doing flip-flops trying to conjure up an alternative to his point-loaded, non-gusseted [broken] leverage pylon.

These people don't "get" materials or fabrication.

• There are two materials on the planet: steel and everything else.
  • Steel never breaks; everything else is way weaker and likely to break at any time.
  • There are two way to join two pieces of any material together: welding and everything else.
  • Welds never break; everything else is way weaker and likely to break at any time.
  • Any amount of metal is sufficient for any load; it's metal, dammit; I can't bend a half-inch bolt so it should be able to hold my rudders on in a hurricane.
It is my unfortunate fate to have to talk to people whose mastery of materials science is pretty much the above points.

This is kind of like car racing fans, going to a race hoping to see somebody crash and burn.

Not at all, this is like cheering for the morris oxford knowing it is stuffed but the driver is having fun. I can guess how this will end but it's great to see him floating in a place with minimal risk to his family and he's still in USA so he's outside of my environment :D

I equate it to a demolition derby or a figure 8 race with busses.

8:40 AM Pacific time - from my upper deck I can see the FH is completely out of the water, HR in the mud with his pants rolled up is scrubbing the boot stripe all around both hulls. I can only see the Port side so can't see any of the previously described damage to the bow. Mom is on the back deck assisting in some way. Tides coming in.

Why does he need the marina's boat?? Can't he just sail her off? Throw the red viking out on the boom, mom in the wheelchair can hang on the leward side and mrs rod can shimmy up the (upside down slanty gaff thingy between the mizzen mast and the main mast) and just heel her over till she breaks free. Easy Peasy......... ;):D

8:40 AM Pacific time - from my upper deck I can see the FH is completely out of the water, HR in the mud with his pants rolled up is scrubbing the boot stripe all around both hulls. I can only see the Port side so can't see any of the previously described damage to the bow. Mom is on the back deck assisting in some way. Tides coming in.

Aaaaaannnd... We're home! derp.png

Level "Waterfront Condo" achieved!

Newbies are rocking this thread! I have new found respect for them and move to waive the required Tits presentations.

Why does he need the marina's boat?? Can't he just sail her off? Throw the red viking out on the boom, mom in the wheelchair can hang on the leward side and mrs rod can shimmy up the (upside down slanty gaff thingy between the mizzen mast and the main mast) and just heel her over till she breaks free. Easy Peasy......... ;):D

Umm... it's a catamaran.

Just a wild guess: the Bayliner is hanging from extremely taut lines alongside?

Why does he need the marina's boat?? Can't he just sail her off? Throw the red viking out on the boom, mom in the wheelchair can hang on the leward side and mrs rod can shimmy up the (upside down slanty gaff thingy between the mizzen mast and the main mast) and just heel her over till she breaks free. Easy Peasy......... wink.pngbiggrin.png

Umm... it's a catamaran.

No shit shirlock..... It was an attempt at humor.... hense the smiley thingies at the end....

Why does he need the marina's boat?? Can't he just sail her off? Throw the red viking out on the boom, mom in the wheelchair can hang on the leward side and mrs rod can shimmy up the (upside down slanty gaff thingy between the mizzen mast and the main mast) and just heel her over till she breaks free. Easy Peasy......... wink.pngbiggrin.png

Umm... it's a catamaran.

No shit shirlock..... It was an attempt at humor.... hense the smiley thingies at the end....

Emphasis on "attempt".

Umm... it's a catamaran.

Emphasis on "attempt".

Agreed, but ya gotta admit the visual would be stunning to behold.......

Newbies are rocking this thread! I have new found respect for them and move to waive the required Tits presentations. fucking off.

fixed it for ya

Umm... it's a catamaran.

Emphasis on "attempt".

With the cluster fuck that that this thing is turning out to be, I wouldn't rule anything out.

what is the best place to view the FH? I see two parks in that area one is schoen park and the other is pickleweed. would either of these make a good spot to view the FH?

scott

The 'red viking' crew member is likely HR's son - here's a picture from earlier in the thread:

508e8bf1c98fb.image.jpg

I wonder if the 'bent prop' is on the bayliner? Maybe the son did the damage with the motorboat?

Props to all the locals doing on-scene reporting. I hope to get up there next week... look for a pink kayak.

And... everybody knows, the way to sail to Hawaii is to smoke a fatty, lay on the deck and follow the jet contrails!

correct me if i'm wrong but can't this sort of thing can happen to anybody...regardless of experience or money...

http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/coast-guard-wayfarer-marine-respond-sailboat-aground-lasell-island/18669

Yes Chris, stupid can happen to anybody. Experience shows there is a scientifically1plotted curve that illustrates a high stupidity level at low levels of experience. Gradually as experience grows, stupidity declines and then, almost inexplicably the stupidity level rises dramatically at high experience levels although the peak usually isn't as high as at low experience levels. As HR claims he is highly experienced (at something anyway) it isn't surprising to see the stupidity level of his project.

1Stupidity Levels Relative to Experience Levels; an Analytic Examination, Schwanker, Arsewhole and Dipshite, 2001, University of Florida Press

The 'red viking' crew member is likely HR's son - here's a picture from earlier in the thread:

508e8bf1c98fb.image.jpg

I wonder if the 'bent prop' is on the bayliner? Maybe the son did the damage with the motorboat?

Props to all the locals doing on-scene reporting. I hope to get up there next week... look for a pink kayak.

And... everybody knows, the way to sail to Hawaii is to smoke a fatty, lay on the deck and follow the jet contrails!

I blame Redviking for this mess.

If it wasn't for him, FH would be in its way to its South Pacific paradise.

correct me if i'm wrong but can't this sort of thing can happen to anybody...regardless of experience or money...

http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/coast-guard-wayfarer-marine-respond-sailboat-aground-lasell-island/18669

Yes Chris, stupid can happen to anybody. Experience shows there is a scientifically1plotted curve that illustrates a high stupidity level at low levels of experience. Gradually as experience grows, stupidity declines and then, almost inexplicably the stupidity level rises dramatically at high experience levels although the peak usually isn't as high as at low experience levels. As HR claims he is highly experienced (at something anyway) it isn't surprising to see the stupidity level of his project.

1Stupidity Levels Relative to Experience Levels; an Analytic Examination, Schwanker, Arsewhole and Dipshite, 2001, University of Florida Press

Is FH suffering from stupidity, or might this be another case study in the Dunning-Kruger effect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Can't remember if anyone has mentioned that yet.

Thanks Spoffo, Great update. It always seemed just a matter of time. HR might get out of this mess like he has the others, but the you get the feeling time is running out for the FH.

Time has been running out for the FH since the "keel" was laid. The sand is simply moving through the glass more quickly now.

With the cluster fuck that that this thing is turning out to be has been from the beginning, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Fixed it.

Thanks Spoffo, Great update. It always seemed just a matter of time. HR might get out of this mess like he has the others, but the you get the feeling time is running out for the FH.

Time has been running out for the FH since the "keel" was laid. The sand is simply moving through the glass more quickly now.

Yes, Hot Rod is a classic case study, for sure!!

"

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.[1]

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[2]

Proposal[edit]

The phenomenon was first tested in a series of experiments performed by Dunning and Kruger.[2][3] Dunning and Kruger noted earlier studies suggesting that ignorance of standards of performance is behind a great deal of incompetence. This pattern was seen in studies of skills as diverse as reading comprehension, operating a motor vehicle, and playing chess or tennis.

Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
  2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
  3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
  4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.

Dunning has since drawn an analogy ("the anosognosia of everyday life")[1][4] with a condition in which a person who suffers a physical disability because of brain injury seems unaware of or denies the existence of the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis."

Well, there you have it. This is not a screw up at all, and once again we have all underestimated the genius of HR. This is his way of cleaning the bottom. Put it on the mud, clean the scum, wait for the tide to come back in and viola!

Is FH suffering from stupidity, or might this be another case study in the Dunning-Kruger effect?

That's it but that's simply some academics doing the usual belabouring of the obvious - the rest of us simply call it "Too dumb to know what you don't know". There are many manifestations of it from those who quietly fuck up small things in private to the true Zen masters of it like HR.

Yes, there are some similarities between the SAD study I quoted above and Dunning and Kruger's work. If you noticed, D & K published initially in '99 and the SAD study followed in '01 with additional work by D & K after that so perhaps they have influenced each other to some extent.

Spoffo - you are officially everyones new best friend. :D

You should change your handle to Boffo to reflect the quality and value of your reporting.

508e8bf1c98fb.image.jpg

I am waiting for SA's own "Redviking" to chime in and clear his name.

Well, there you have it. This is not a screw up at all, and once again we have all underestimated the genius of HR. This is his way of cleaning the bottom. Put it on the mud, clean the scum, wait for the tide to come back in and viola!

He's re-invented Careening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careening

Umm... it's a catamaran.

At the moment!

Friend of mine told me years ago how to sail from the Chesapeake Bay to Key West:

Sail east until you lose sight of land. Sail south until you run out of rum. Go west until you find land. Welcome to Key West.

He is still getting ready for his triumphant trip to Hawaii.

He's re-invented Careening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careening

and before too long he'll be "careening" pieces of it all over the bay. Anyone know what the over/under is on HOW it will fail? Will it gradually lose its integrity leading to slowing increasing rates of water ingress...or will it be somewhat more spectacular with the catamaran becoming two monohulls after the "steel reinforced wood beams" decide that they've had enough torture? Someone should let TLC know that they are missing the reality show opportunity of a lifetime....or maybe we need a kickstarter campaign to fund the HD webcam.

Isn't that called a "Staysail ketch" rig.

Yes, but there is no need for the sprit; a "normal" fisherman just sheets to the mizzen mast -- no spars required.

We can't really determine what HotRod's mind has made up as a purpose for that diagonal spar until we see how he uses it.

My guess: the spar came with whatever else he collected and he thought about it for a while and decided, "It must go... uh... here!"

I think it's pretty clear what happened. HR saw a picture of a boat that had a small spar rigged mid-mast, and misread the term "junk-rigged" as "junk, rigged."

" Someone should let TLC know that they are missing the reality show opportunity of a lifetime....or maybe we need a kickstarter campaign to fund the HD webcam. "

My thoughts exactly! What a great show this would make, "Here comes Hot Rod!"

" Someone should let TLC know that they are missing the reality show opportunity of a lifetime....or maybe we need a kickstarter campaign to fund the HD webcam. "

My thoughts exactly! What a great show this would make, "Here comes Hot Rod!"

Imagine what FH would look like today if somewhere along the way someone had given HR $100K or so. There is no doubt in my mind FH would be fully decked out with a Hot Tub and helicopter pad....the entertainment alone would have been worth the cash!

For the love of all you might hold good and holly will someone please get out there with the bloody camera.

HR said "You just sail out the gate and turn left. Next stop San Diego. What's to know?"

Well, yeah, exactly. What could possibly go wrong?

If it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!

On a more serious note, the guy I talked with yesterday said that he has stayed in touch with HR mainly in hopes of preventing a real tragedy, especially thinking of HR's mom. The only help he said HR seemed open to was in finding gear and materials. He said that he once lined up a supply of very cheap stock that could have been used to make lifeline stanchions, and HR seemed genuinely interested, though he never followed through. But when my guy tried to offer help with anything else he was rebuffed - - in a friendly way - - by a big ego and Rod's not knowing what he didn't know. e.g. when offered help planning navigation, HR said "You just sail out the gate and turn left. Next stop San Diego. What's to know?"

Promote that guy to Anarchist immediately.

You know, lines like that are probably flowing out of HR's mouth several times a day and WE ARE MISSING THEM!

Google maps says it's a 43 hour drive for me to come out there with a boat. One of my life's ambitions (seldom achieved) is to avoid being in Florida in August.

It just rained three inches. My chimney is leaking.

I just need about one more half-reason and I'm coming out there to interview HR and survey the FH myself. Can't believe a Florida boy has to take up this slack for you Californicators. ;)

I'll buy you half a beer if you stop by in Los Angeles.

For the love of all you might hold good and holly will someone please get out there with the bloody camera.

Hey HEY HEY! Easy does it!

There is no need to introduce religion into this heated thread!

Holiday-wreath.jpg

But first let me ask one more time: are there any anarchists in San Francisco Bay with a friggin' boat???

There are probably of guys here with a boat, but what good would that do? What's needed is one of those swamp buggy flat bottom things with the giant fan on the back for propulsion. Probably not too many of those near SF Bay...

Did anyone actually see the Marina rescue boat assisting? It's hard to believe they would take their boat in the mudflats for any reason. I think someone already mentioned that even kayaks run aground in that are, and it's quite likely that HR Jr is the boat with the bent prop, and is now "toast".

Has FH found its final resting place?

Holiday-wreath.jpg

Not Religion... for the love of Holly...

holly_bikini400_18oludl-18oluo9.jpg

There are probably of guys here with a boat, but what good would that do? What's needed is one of those swamp buggy flat bottom things with the giant fan on the back for propulsion. ...

Or some wading shoes.

There are probably of guys here with a boat, but what good would that do? What's needed is one of those swamp buggy flat bottom things with the giant fan on the back for propulsion. ...

Or some wading shoes.

Or this walking spider thing:

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/engineers-unveil-giant-robot-spider-that-you-can-drive

Holiday-wreath.jpg

Not Religion... for the love of Holly...

holly_bikini400_18oludl-18oluo9.jpg

I call silicone

I though this site was all about naturals ?

Good news is that when it sinks you won't need scuba gear to salvage the motorcycle...

OR, when it does sink, it sinks entirely into dense mud so that over the next few million years it will form an awesome fossil of a motorcycle.

On a more serious note, the guy I talked with yesterday said that he has stayed in touch with HR mainly in hopes of preventing a real tragedy, especially thinking of HR's mom. The only help he said HR seemed open to was in finding gear and materials. He said that he once lined up a supply of very cheap stock that could have been used to make lifeline stanchions, and HR seemed genuinely interested, though he never followed through. But when my guy tried to offer help with anything else he was rebuffed - - in a friendly way - - by a big ego and Rod's not knowing what he didn't know. e.g. when offered help planning navigation, HR said "You just sail out the gate and turn left. Next stop San Diego. What's to know?"

You know, lines like that are probably flowing out of HR's mouth several times a day and WE ARE MISSING THEM!

Google maps says it's a 43 hour drive for me to come out there with a boat. One of my life's ambitions (seldom achieved) is to avoid being in Florida in August.

I just need about one more half-reason and I'm coming out there to interview HR and survey the FH myself. Can't believe a Florida boy has to take up this slack for you Californicators. ;)

I'll buy the other half and throw in a bag of Doritos.

Okay, you're wrong. What we're talking about here is boat building. A Frers-designed, Hylas built yacht hitting the rocks because someone wasn't paying attention is not the same as the Flying Hawai'ian being towed around San Pablo Bay looking for a home. We have yet to see any of Hot Rod's sailing skills. Even from a distance, we can pretty well see what kind of boat-building skills he has. It's all very sad but I would like some damn pictures.

For some reason, HR's waterfront condo does not show on this Zillow map. But, I imagine it must be in the 400k to 4.5Mil range?

post-672-0-72477600-1375990093_thumb.jpg

HR wakes up to discover that FH is hard aground

I would like to take a moment to state that this is not true. I have not, and will never be the Flyin' Hawaiian.

Thank you,

good night.

For some reason, HR's waterfront condo does not show on this Zillow map. But, I imagine it must be in the 400k to 4.5Mil range?

attachicon.gifHotRod.jpg

Zillow uses an algorithm to predict market value....and while not perfect is a pretty good algorithm.

So i'm guessing the lower end of your range might still have a couple too many zeros...

Hmmm... a whole beer and Doritos? Does this come with a spot on a Couch? Tempting.

Chimney is fixed and the first thunderstorm of the afternoon is minutes away.

He only needed half a reason, now you've gone and made it weird!

If you need a break in the journey, the Bitter Gnat Yacht Club is always open. Half way between you and HR's Mud Flat Shangri-La. We can offer all the beer that you can eat and free lodging.

508e8bf1c98fb.image.jpg

I am waiting for SA's own "Redviking" to chime in and clear his name.

Yeah, I really am into my C&C 39... I am not that guy... I think his name is Thor Heyerdal...