U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Did your father teach you to run out on your bills, and when a local business told you you weren't welcome because you hadn't paid your bill, to try and threaten them into giving you goods/services? This is exactly what HR & Son are doing.

Did your father teach you to assume that people who are DOING what you dream to do are in fact a lot stupider than you and ignore their advice? This is exactly what HR & Son are doing.

Did your father take every penny the family had in it's assets, and spend it on a colossal dream-project without doing the slightest amount of research on how it should be done (on top of ignoring advice); and not only destroy the family's financial well-being but put the family in physical danger doing so?

This is the reality. Most of us are sailors, and tend to regard the romantic as more valuable than the practical. But when you look at what HotRod has really done, it's pretty damn ugly.

My father did a lot of projects with me, sharing skills & attitudes... but as crazy as we were sometimes, nothing ever remotely approached HR's fiasco.

If I could realistically help HR and family, I would. However this situation is of their own making BECAUSE THEY REFUSE not only advice but to conform to reasonable & rational behavior. Until that changes, it's going to get worse and anybody who tries to help is only going to make it worse as well as running the risk of getting dragged in with them.

FB- Doug

Where was it said that HR & Son are running out on their bills? I missed that part...

There was an allegation that HR owed the boatyard for storage fees. It might not be true.

Most boatyards I have seen have a policy of payment in full in cash for the final portion of fees BEFORE launch. That way they have a hold on the boat owner...

what about when the boat is filling with squatters ??

I might have to question the Plumbing on the FH

I mean there's plenty of room for a bunch of 5gal buckets .......... but

-snip-

HR's son has been raised to believe that plywood manufacturers & 'naval architects' are all in a conspiracy to charge you a lot more $ by stamping something as higher quality when 'in fact, its the same damn stuff.' (Or, at minimum, that the differences, if they exist, are not a big deal.)

-snip-

I don't understand why everyone in the thread is fixated on the plywood grade. Lots of folks have build boats with exterior grade rather than marine plywood. I just checked the West System web site and they explicitly say you can use exterior grade or marine grade. The wood isn't going to fall apart the second it hits the water. Relative to Marine grade, exterior grade is weaker for its weight and its thickness, it absorbs more water, and is less consistent in quality. While Marine and exterior grade are not the same stuff, the fact that they used CDX, by itself, does not give us any information about whether this boat will break up in a seaway or under tow.

-snip-

HR's son has been raised to believe that plywood manufacturers & 'naval architects' are all in a conspiracy to charge you a lot more $ by stamping something as higher quality when 'in fact, its the same damn stuff.' (Or, at minimum, that the differences, if they exist, are not a big deal.)

-snip-

I don't understand why everyone in the thread is fixated on the plywood grade. Lots of folks have build boats with exterior grade rather than marine plywood. I just checked the West System web site and they explicitly say you can use exterior grade or marine grade. The wood isn't going to fall apart the second it hits the water. Relative to Marine grade, exterior grade is weaker for its weight and its thickness, it absorbs more water, and is less consistent in quality. While Marine and exterior grade are not the same stuff, the fact that they used CDX, by itself, does not give us any information about whether this boat will break up in a seaway or under tow.

What's you Fav Harley ???

Here is something to think about whilest we wait for HR to get out of the pokey.

If Horatio Hornblower were forced to sail the FH to Hawaii would he make it? If so what configuration would it be in when he and his crew arrived? Square rigger, canoe with outrigger, sloop cutter staysail rig, ketch?

Horatio would stuff the hulls with bags of coconuts (all tied together of course), and would arrive at his destination in good order with a motorcycle, BBQ, Grandma and a mast or two. The rest of the FH... not sure.

Yeah, but deck screws?

As for plumbing, I'm sure he used the finest PVC that he could find while hewas at Home Depot.

Wow. Certainly didn't see that coming.

I hope there is a float switch on the bilge pump.

don't know if they make an electronic bucket.

It seems that at some point someone did make an electronic bucket!

!B3TseKQBWk~$(KGrHqN,!jkE)pZHSqljBMltOv6

Most boatyards I have seen have a policy of payment in full in cash for the final portion of fees BEFORE launch. That way they have a hold on the boat owner...

The yard didn't launch this tragedy. hot rod launched it himself using an over grown fork truck and a modified mobile home chassis in the middle of the night

What's your take on the use of 3/8? Shouldn't it be thicker?

I don't really know if it is possible to build a boat of this size with a single layer of 3/8th. If the skins were structural (e.g., stitch and glue construction) they would definitely need to be much, much thicker.

On the other hand, if the loads are taken by closely spaced frames, stringers, and floors, it might be possible to skin the structure with a layer 3/8. I don't really know.

You think those Lego sets are easy to build? You might be surprised.

He did launch it at midnight and it was virtually impossable to take it back out at that time. The marina owner would have been between a rock and a hard place as soon as he got within the marina gates. Personally, I think the guy that allowed him to set up shop there in the first place should have been fired on the spot.

I don't really know if it is possible to build a boat of this size with a single layer of 3/8th.

Well HR has done it!

Depends on your definition of a boat. Defiantly floats, probably not capable of propulsion or navigation, may not stay a boat for very long. But is a boat.

-snip-

-snip-

Go back and look at the photos on page 2. There is plenty of information about how this thing is constructed. It's not even close to seaworthy. It may, however, be Delta-worthy.

I don't really know if it is possible to build a boat of this size with a single layer of 3/8th.

Well HR has done it!

Depends on your definition of a boat. Defiantly floats, probably not capable of propulsion or navigation, may not stay a boat for very long. But is a boat.

According to your definition this is a boat then too:

rubber-duck2.jpg?w=1120

Hahahahahahaha wow.

You know i heard this forum was full of do nothing little punks but i had nooooo idea. You are literally the saddest little group of punks ive ever read..and that says something. ill let you get back to convincing yourselves you arent losers now.

More "family far away" I guess...

I don't know about that, I could actually understand most of what reid here's trying to say, I think.

Well HR has done it!

According to your definition this is a boat then too:

rubber-duck2.jpg?w=1120

If it looks like a duck, and acts like a duck...........

Oh nevermind.....

And anyone who wants to argue with my take, let me assure you that I have looked at thousands and thousands of posts on the internet, so I am well qualified to judge that my own opinions are the best.

We usually don't argue with The McMullen...

Hahahahahahaha wow.

You know i heard this forum was full of do nothing little punks but i had nooooo idea. You are literally the saddest little group of punks ive ever read..and that says something. ill let you get back to convincing yourselves you arent losers now.

Yeah, well I've built & rigged boats, crossed the Pacific to Hawaii and chain-sawed a couple boats up as well, and that is exactly how this charade will end - if they get lucky.

You going to volunteer to help the clean up ? - bring lots of extra saw blades. yeah, I didn't think so.

Can we please dispense with the 'My father and I used to' thread drift? It's getting depressing enough around here without you guys adding to the dunnage.

Personally, I prefer the character assassination, speculative engineering surveys and catastrophic loss predictions, plus Spoffo's and meuritt's generous and accurate reporting.

Take the damn maudlin reminiscences to the AARP forum. They have no place in a nasty assed thread like this one. Let's keep it light people.

+2 or 3. ;)

Did your father teach you to run out on your bills, and when a local business told you you weren't welcome because you hadn't paid your bill, to try and threaten them into giving you goods/services? This is exactly what HR & Son are doing.

Did your father teach you to assume that people who are DOING what you dream to do are in fact a lot stupider than you and ignore their advice? This is exactly what HR & Son are doing.

Did your father take every penny the family had in it's assets, and spend it on a colossal dream-project without doing the slightest amount of research on how it should be done (on top of ignoring advice); and not only destroy the family's financial well-being but put the family in physical danger doing so?

This is the reality. Most of us are sailors, and tend to regard the romantic as more valuable than the practical. But when you look at what HotRod has really done, it's pretty damn ugly.

My father did a lot of projects with me, sharing skills & attitudes... but as crazy as we were sometimes, nothing ever remotely approached HR's fiasco.

If I could realistically help HR and family, I would. However this situation is of their own making BECAUSE THEY REFUSE not only advice but to conform to reasonable & rational behavior. Until that changes, it's going to get worse and anybody who tries to help is only going to make it worse as well as running the risk of getting dragged in with them.

FB- Doug

Where was it said that HR & Son are running out on their bills? I missed that part...

There was an allegation that HR owed the boatyard for storage fees. It might not be true.

Put more succinctly as "No Cash - No Splash".

I don't understand why everyone in the thread is fixated on the plywood grade. Lots of folks have build boats with exterior grade rather than marine plywood. . . . .While Marine and exterior grade are not the same stuff, the fact that they used CDX, by itself, does not give us any information about whether this boat will break up in a seaway or under tow.

Wow, tls, you fail Wood Engineering Technology. You need to back up and study a little more. Different specs of plywood are rated for different structural loadings and different stress directions as well as for moisture and rot resistance. The fact that they used CDX by itself does indeed tell everything an experienced wood guy needs to know about how likely this 65' foot catamaran will break up in a seaway or a tow. You are arguing from a place of extreme ignorance, my good sir.

CDX is a grade of plywood not a brand. It is actually manufactured by many different companies and the specific properties vary quite a lot. In general, it is exterior grade and some brands use the same glues as in their marine ply. The big difference is the voids and knots. There may be little problem using CDX if it were well encapsulated and the engineering was appropriate for the reduced strength and consistency of the product. It isn't something I would ever recommend, but it isn't necessarily fatal for the boat of the glue is appropriate. It just risky, weaker, and heavier than a marine grade product.

I think the bigger problem is the engineering. This is an extremely large boat to have the scantlings made by guess. Folks have obviously built boats out of all sorts of crappy wood products for 1000 years, but the designs tend to evolve to be appropriate for available materials. You can build a boat out of reeds bound in hemp if you have the engineering right, but HR is just guessing.

I wish he would have built a well-proven plywood catamaran design (Wharram)... or just bought a derelict cruising boat. He would be quite a bit happier if he had.

The famous naval architect Nigel Irens designed and specced 1" marine ply (16 plys) for this 64' cat. Plus a shit load of glass work. Now, what does Nigel Irens know that Hot Rod doesn't? A lot! You can click on the "rustic" link and see just about the entire build. And check out those crossbeams.

http://www.constellationyachts.com/album-rustic.html

The boat was launched and then spent a week or 2 at the marina while afloat on an end tie so we can assume that HR was in good standing at that time.

Go back and look at the photos on page 2. There is plenty of information about how this thing is constructed. It's not even close to seaworthy. It may, however, be Delta-worthy.

I am certainly not suggesting it is seaworthy, just that the grade of plywood used is not going to be the cause of its demise. I don't think it would matter if they had purchased the finest plywood to build the boat if it is poorly engineered.

I don't understand why everyone in the thread is fixated on the plywood grade. Lots of folks have build boats with exterior grade rather than marine plywood. . . . .While Marine and exterior grade are not the same stuff, the fact that they used CDX, by itself, does not give us any information about whether this boat will break up in a seaway or under tow.

Wow, tls, you fail Wood Engineering Technology. You need to back up and study a little more. Different specs of plywood are rated for different structural loadings and different stress directions as well as for moisture and rot resistance. The fact that they used CDX by itself does indeed tell everything an experienced wood guy needs to know about how likely this 65' foot catamaran will break up in a seaway or a tow. You are arguing from a place of extreme ignorance, my good sir.

I think tls was getting at how if you use more of a crappier material the end strength can be equal to less of a stronger material. Kinda like how multiples of grade 2 bolts get used a lot more than NAS-spec A286 bolts, even though the latter is way better. Whether the FH has enough CDX to meet everyone's required factors of safety is uncertain, to say the least.

Yeah, as for what exactly, will trigger the complete failure mode, well - the race is on.

If this boat is still intact and floating 6 months from when it launched, I will be amazed.

CDX is a grade of plywood not a brand. It is actually manufactured by many different companies and the specific properties vary quite a lot. In general, it is exterior grade and some brands use the same glues as in their marine ply. The big difference is the voids and knots. There may be little problem using CDX if it were well encapsulated and the engineering was appropriate for the reduced strength and consistency of the product. It isn't something I would ever recommend, but it isn't necessarily fatal for the boat of the glue is appropriate. It just risky, weaker, and heavier than a marine grade product.

I think the bigger problem is the engineering. This is an extremely large boat to have the scantlings made by guess. Folks have obviously built boats out of all sorts of crappy wood products for 1000 years, but the designs tend to evolve to be appropriate for available materials. You can build a boat out of reeds bound in hemp if you have the engineering right, but HR is just guessing.

I wish he would have built a well-proven plywood catamaran design (Wharram)... or just bought a derelict cruising boat. He would be quite a bit happier if he had.

The famous naval architect Nigel Irens designed and specced 1" marine ply (16 plys) for this 64' cat. Plus a shit load of glass work. Now, what does Nigel Irens know that Hot Rod doesn't? A lot! You can click on the "rustic" link and see just about the entire build. And check out those crossbeams.

http://www.constellationyachts.com/album-rustic.html

Speaking of Nigel Irens, I got to see Farfarer first-hand in Northeast Harbor a few weeks ago... It was even better in person than any of the photos. Back to our discussion of plywood and sorry for the hijack.

Hey, has anyone sprung HR from the pokey yet? Guy LaDouce is probably good for $1100 under the right "circumstances." Guy is nothing if not generous.

You have failed to bring an argument, only insults. You can definitely build a strong boat out of exterior grade (non-marine) plywood, including CDX. Lots of folks have done it. It isn't necessarily a good idea, but it does not tell you anything about whether the boat will fall apart. That has more to do with engineering and construction.

I am pretty sure I've never failed Wood Engineering Technology, but that may be because that course was never offered in our university's engineering program. Of course that means nothing to an "experienced wood guy" like yourself. You've probably looked at the designs of 1000's of engineered wood products.

The boat was launched and then spent a week or 2 at the marina while afloat on an end tie so we can assume that HR was in good standing at that time.

Frankly I think you are wrong. Odds are that he got it to the point of no return (to the marina gates) before they had any idea of what he was doing. It then became a game of

Marina- You need to get that thing out of here in a week.

Rod - Can't no rudders.

Marina - You need to get that thing out of here in a week

Rod - Can't no motors.

Marina - Get that thing out of here now or I take the bike...

Rod (as he puts the bike on the boat) - Can't, needs drywall...

Marina - get that thing out of here in a week or I call the racoon.....

Rod - OK bye.....

Why else put everything he owns on the boat?? Normally, in my experience, landlords can't evict unless they give x amount of notice. I assume in Cali this is no different, so giving him at least 1 month notice would explain the hasty launch, departure and even the fistacuffs viewed from afar....

Hey, has anyone sprung HR from the pokey yet? Guy LaDouce is probably good for $1100 under the right "circumstances." Guy is nothing if not generous.

I just checked. He's still in. No new charges. $11,000 bail. And his middle name is John not Joan. Well that's a releif. I'd bite your finger off too if my middle name was Joan.

You have failed to bring an argument, only insults. You can definitely build a strong boat out of exterior grade (non-marine) plywood, including CDX. Lots of folks have done it. It isn't necessarily a good idea, but it does not tell you anything about whether the boat will fall apart. That has more to do with engineering and construction.

I am pretty sure I've never failed Wood Engineering Technology, but that may be because that course was never offered in our university's engineering program. Of course that means nothing to an "experienced wood guy" like yourself. You've probably looked at the designs of 1000's of engineered wood products.

Wow,

are you a wofsie sock by any chance?? If not, Mikey sick em.......

not really. I have no idea what the real situation is but if you were the marina would you try to put a lien on it and chain it to your dock? I would do everything I could to speed them on their way before their wreck became my problem.

I don't really know if it is possible to build a boat of this size with a single layer of 3/8th. If the skins were structural (e.g., stitch and glue construction) they would definitely need to be much, much thicker.

On the other hand, if the loads are taken by closely spaced frames, stringers, and floors, it might be possible to skin the structure with a layer 3/8. I don't really know.

More likely the marina bent over backwards for him

I gotta go with James on this one, CDX is absolutely not a marine grade ply. Its actually about the lowest form of life on the planet when it comes to plywood. Around here, on a house 1/2 CDX is minimum and that only on the roof and for the occasional shear panel.

Douglas Fir AC marine grade is the bare minimum you can get away with and that will check like a mad man, which someone already mentioned.

Well, its day one without the Rod. Lets hope he's seen the judge and is just working up some bail money, and that no additional charges are pending. If he was held for evaluation, lets wish him the best and that he eventually sees the reason in just aiming for the back bay.

best of luck
B

So what happens next? HR will be sprung in a day or three, no doubt. Nothing really to hold him on, unless there's a major complaint - which we have not seen yet. Then he's back to the FH.

So what does he do? Fix FH Jrr and/or find a tow up the Delta? (best option, IMHO.) Go for the GG? (ugh)

Seems that it will be all on again shortly. Perhaps it's time for a new betting pool.

It's still un-wrapping, folks. Sad to see, but like a long, long train-wreck, sort of irresistible to watch.

He'll probably jump the guy who decides to let him go on "OR"

deeming HR a ZERO Flight Risk :o:lol::lol::lol:;)

So what happens next? HR will be sprung in a day or three, no doubt. Nothing really to hold him on, unless there's a major complaint - which we have not seen yet. Then he's back to the FH.

So what does he do? Fix FH Jrr and/or find a tow up the Delta? (best option, IMHO.) Go for the GG? (ugh)

Seems that it will be all on again shortly. Perhaps it's time for a new betting pool.

It's still un-wrapping, folks. Sad to see, but like a long, long train-wreck, sort of irresistible to watch.

would not be surprised to see a prosecutor hit him with a battery charge in the next day or two. just because it isn't on the booking details doesn't mean it isn't coming

Ok all, let's get back on track. Check out this article in today's issue of the local newspaper, the Marin Independent Journal:

http://www.marinij.com/

It should clear up some questions. As well, let's see if it goes national...reality series on the way?

To set things straight HR didn't threaten to shoot anyone the people on this page brought up shootings

It appears there was a bit of finger bitin' involved: From news:

James "Hot Rod" Lane's dream of building a boat and sailing to Hawaii is turning into a nightmare.

Instead of being aboard his "Flyin' Hawaiian" catamaran on his journey to a new life in the shadow of Diamond Head, Lane was cooling his heels Tuesday in the Marin County Jail.

The 52-year-old jack of all trades was arrested Monday after he got into a fight with Pat Lopez, harbor master of San Rafael's Loch Lomond Marina, and bit Lopez's right middle finder "almost to the bone," according to San Rafael Police spokeswoman Margo Rohrbacher.

The bloody scrap came during a heated argument over Lane's continuing use of the marina's facilities even though his 65-foot-long, twin-hulled boat left Loch Lomond in June.Since then, the eight-ton beige behemoth, which Lane built in the Loch Lomond parking lot with his 28-year-old son, Michael, has been stuck in the mud off Spinnaker Point southwest of the yacht harbor.

The early afternoon altercation at Loch Lomond erupted after Lane became upset over his key to the marina's showers and docks being deactivated. He was taken into custody and booked on an outstanding arrest warrant from the Sutter County Sheriff's Office for failing to appear on a charge of driving with a suspended license as well as a mechanical violation. He was being held on $11,000 bail.

His legal troubles could soon get worse. Due to the extent of the harbor master's wound, the Marin County District Attorney's Office is reviewing the case and is considering filing a felony charge of battery with a serious injury, Rohrbacher said.

The fight marks a violent turn in a story that has been the talk of the sailing community. A self-described "new mariner," Lane and his homemade boat have been the subject of more than 5,400 posts on the website Sailing Anarchy, most of them ridiculing his "Home Depot" materials, do-it-yourself workmanship and lack of sailing experience.

One post derided his dream as "quixotic." Another called the plywood-hulled Flyin' Hawaiian "a shrine to futility." After Monday's arrest, someone posted, "We need to bail him out. The show must go on."

A post believed to be from Lane threatened to "swamp" anyone floating near his yacht and to "share some reg army with you." The post listed his interests as "shooting."

"I took his threats seriously enough that I decided not to get a close-up view today," a resident who has been keeping an eye on the ill-fated vessel said in an email.

Meanwhile, the Flyin' Hawaiian remains mired in the bay mud, a long way from the sandy beaches of Hawaii, where Lane had hoped to escape his blue collar existence and start a new life as a charter captain and boat builder.

"My boy was working at Walmart and I was doing contract labor," he said in a June 9 story in the Independent Journal. "I've done a lot of things trying to figure out how to make money in America. It was making me crazy trying to figure out a way to get out of the workforce."

The Flyin' Hawaiian first came to the attention of San Rafael police on Aug. 2, after the department's marine unit received a report that it appeared to be stuck in the bay mud and disabled, creating a possible hazard. When officers paid it a call in their patrol boat, they said they were told by someone aboard that they would move the mired catamaran by Aug. 15 after taking care of some "holes that needed to be repaired."

Before he launched the "Flyin' Hawaiian" at Loch Lomond over the past Memorial Day weekend, Lane and his son worked on it in the marina parking lot for most of three years, becoming an object of curiosity in the upscale bayside neighborhood as residents watched the bulky boat inexorably take shape.

Described by one acquaintance as "a character and a half," Lane came to affluent Marin from remote Butte County, where more than 12 percent of the population lives below the poverty line.

While some observers were pulling for him, others were betting the boxy boat would sink like a sieve as soon as it came in contact with water. The Flyin' Hawaiian managed to float, but Lane could not afford to keep it berthed at the marina while he continued to work on it.

Now he's a man with a leaky boat, a shattered dream and no permanent address. When he was booked into county jail, he listed his residence as "all points."

"Let me use the crapper, or I'm going to chomp yer"

I've been sailing for fifty years, and in construction for forty, and started throwing together quick and dirty wood boats about 30 years back.

All boats fall apart eventually, or require major rebuilding along the way. Metal fatigues or corrodes, wood rots or suffers from electrolytic reactions, etc. There aren't any 100 year old boats floating about that haven't had a major rebuild, or at best are in dire need of one.

I've built boats in a weekend out of 1/4" lauan that are still sound after 30 years. If they lived on a mooring for five months a year they wouldn't have made it past two years before being thrown on the burn pile. Being used only four or five times as a cartopper, and not having left the rafters of my woodshed for 20 years, they are in fine shape (or should I sat in almost as good shape as the day they were launched).

If you want to build a boat that will cross oceans, be in the water 363 days a year (you're not going to haul, prep and paint the bottom of the FH in a day), and have the boat last the 30 years that under optimum circumstances that HR might expect to live aboard, you ought to use better materials than deck screws and CDX plywood. Not to mention that the scantlings and spacing on everything on FH are both less than half what they should be, even if using first grade materials, sometimes much, much less.

So it's not at all a question of whether the FH will fall apart, just when.

Reminds me of an old Bob Newhart bit about airplanes flying over water.

"If we ditch, how long will she stay afloat?"

"Well, sometimes they go down like a rock, sometimes they stay up for two, maybe three minutes".

I'm guessing that the odds of FH making it to its "Home port" in one piece with its crew all well and happy, are about the same as the odds that HR has both a winning Powerball ticket and a winning Megabucks ticket sitting in his wallet in the Marin County Jail property locker.

I'm off tomorrow to sail about Muscongus Bay Maine in company for a few days, so don't be offended if I don't reply promptly to snide comments or complaints about the lack of mammaries.

My boat is over 50 years old, but has lived a very easy life, and was built more or less right, and has enough flotation that she won't sink.

FH won't sink either, but none of the pieces in the debris field may be big enough to sit on.

For those wanting a summary: here's the update:

RodmaN built a boat of dubious design

with dubios scantlings

with dubious materials

and dubios finish

launched in the dead of night to get out of Dodge

bounced around a couple os so-so anchorages in the Bay

wound up on the mud

broke some boating related stuff in the process

Couldn't figure out an immediate solution

got into a wrangle with the local popo over not readily identifiable past issues

is still in the hoosegow

in the meantime, this thread has:

become a shouting match about the size of various Johnsons (no, not the outboards)

spent way too long on motor driven cycles

become a shouting match about the size of various Johnsons (no, not the outboards)

gone back to opinions on motor driven cycles

became rampant vehicle for speculation on various unknowns

gone back to opinions on motor driven cycles
etc.
I'll repeat as each page brings forth pearls of new wisdom.

To set things straight HR didn't threaten to shoot anyone the people on this page brought up shootings

While you are setting things straight:

1) how thick is the skin on the hull?

2) what is your frame and stringer spacing?

3) what are the frame dimensions? By that i mean sided and molded dimensions. If you don't know what that means, look it up.

4) how is the skin fastened to the frames and stringers?

5) and finally, why didn't you think to bend the plywood? Bending ply into conical and cylindrical shapes really stiffens it up.

Hey if a reality show results hr may be rich! Rename the boat the FG - Forrest Gump.

Wow,

are you a wofsie sock by any chance?? If not, Mikey sick em.......

I am not a sock puppet as far as I know. I've been on SA since 2004, but mostly lurk.

I just don't think HF would fare any better if they had used 3/8th marine ply rather than CDX. In the end it isn't going to make any difference. Swapping out for a grade that offers 20% more bending stiffness capacity or 30% more axial compression strength is within the rounding error for this design. Worrying about the rot resistance of the plywood seems misguided given that nothing about the HF is designed for a 20 year working life. More generally, for any strength/stiffness properties of marine ply, it is possible to exceed those with CDX. Although the CDX would require a greater thickness, it may be a less expensive way to get the required strength or stiffness if materials costs are your primary concern.

The fact that CDX is not marine grade ply is clearly true. CDX is inferior in every way but price. Lots of successful boats have been made with exterior grade (rather than marine grade) plywood. This is discussed in most books on plywood boatbuilding and in the West Systems training materials. E-glass and poly resin construction is clearly inferior to carbon/epoxy but that does not mean it is impossible to build a strong boat in glass/poly. PBO rigging is better than manila rope rigging, but that does not imply that every boat with manila rigging would be unsafe. Thousands of boats have made ocean passages with natural fiber rigging, although it isn't something I would recommend.

Using CDX does not tell us much about the problem with this boat, although it does suggest that the builder was either uninformed about alternative materials, or he valued materials costs above all other considerations (longevity, ease of construction, durability, etc).

3/8s was only used interior 1/2 is minimum to 5/8 full rolls of glass used to cover 48 on frame 6 on stringers

On being Inebriated. (FUBAR)

I do SO love it. Inebriation is SO helpful... (FUBAR even more so)

On gin, on Scotch, on Irish.... I simply don't care. Being slightly (well, let's face it) or Totally "Effed Youp" is such a wonderful state of mind.

Who would want to be a rationally sober persona when you could be sloshed outta yer' mind? It's a comfortable and encompassing place, much like living in a feather pillow... All nastiness repelled, all softness included, much like being seduced in a Victorian boudior of lace and air, drenched in candlelight and suffused with perception and an acceptance of all things stupid...

Which is what is required to accept and understand this stupidity.

Douglas Fir AC marine grade is the bare minimum you can get away with and that will check like a mad man, which someone already mentioned.

Under what type of loading would 3/4" CD Exterior 5-ply fail, yet 1/2" AC marine 5-ply would not fail? Bending? tension? compression?

You cannot usually determine how strong a structure is based on the grade of lumber used without knowing more about the structure.

Sounds like there's going to be some assault charges after all. In which case bail isn't going to help him much, given he's in for failure to appear on lesser charges, although around here driving on suspension is an automatic 20 days. So it might be a while before we see Rod again.

Michael, its up to you son. Drag the boat to the back bay and keep it floating till Rod gets back. Best of luck.

Try and see past the guff and just ask, I'm sure there are plenty here who will offer sound advice in how to get to the back bay area and I've heard several suggestions as to what harbor you might find shelter in. I do hope you seriously consider this advice.

Best of luck
B

3/8s was only used interior 1/2 is minimum to 5/8 full rolls of glass used to cover 48 on frame 6 on stringers

Thanks for the response.

Making sure I understand: the hull skin is 1/2 to 5/8 thick, sheathed with a single layer of glass? Do you know what weight was the glass?

The frames are on 48" centers, correct?

The stringers are spaced @ 6" intervals on the frames. Are the stringers standard 2x4 lumber or something else?

Assault - apprenhsion of an unlawful battery. Differs from fear. .

Battery - actually being touched without permission. Generally with intent to harm but intent is not required.

Biting a finger - battery.

I don't know about Marin, but in L.A., Operating W/O a Licence barely gets you a ticket. There are about 1 million Illegals here driving without a licence or insurance. And as far as biting someone's finger, might just get you a thump with the Rodney King Memorial Baton, but bot much time in the graybar hotel.

In at least two counties I go to, if there were stitches and doctors that would be charged as a felony. Hope that is not the case. HR's life doesn't need this.

Drag the boat to the back bay...

You've used this term probably a dozen times in this thread. Just where the fuck is the "back bay"? This ain't Boston, Boston1.

post-180-015338200%201318620417_thumb.jp

as this shows the 'frames' appear to be 48" on center and the 'stringer' appear to be 6" on center.

no indication of how the floors are to be installed.

Assault - apprenhsion of an unlawful battery. Differs from fear. .

Battery - actually being touched without permission. Generally with intent to harm but intent is not required.

Biting a finger - battery.

gutta wonder if the guy bit on the middle finger

just might have been taking a leak around the time :o

bet when HR saw that little serpent in the harbor master's grip this song ran through his mind

and he lost control (who wouldn't after living on Beans & Cheese and your Crapper Key don't work no-mo) :o

Lucky for their subscribers they didn't post a link

Hot Rod I got a deal for you

"IF" You admit to placing 5lbs of shot into 6 tubes of the ORACLE AC-45's w/o permission

"OR" Better yet having been paid by E.B, B.B., D.M. or C.L. hell even Snaggletooth

"You Shall be Off to HI" First ClASS

PM the AC-IJ for details ;)

Michael,

For the love of god, once your dad is out, and I hope he will be soon, head to the Delta. You cannot stay in Marin. You will find nothing but trouble there. The Delta is where you need to be. No one will fuck with you there. Arrange a tow as soon as possible and move. In the right conditions you can make it using the Bayliner. Get someone to help you with the tide tables and the winds.

what did he mean by "share some reg army with you." ?

So I guess since the arrival of "dockrat" this morning everyone is satisfied that this is, indeed, "Viking"?

there is a certain cachet to dockrat's prose...it's familiar, and gives me the warm fuzzies knowing he is OK.

Holy shite the news article quoted me. :blink:

Missed ya chance

sudda posted Sum Tits

I'd venture to guess SA is blocked from most all of that area's net nannies

If not & should there be any once/current HAWT Cougars that have done well through the years reading along

I'll be in the area of Marina Green / GGYC with a 12' WOODY that you are Welcome to Polish or Ride / BUFF B)

Fell free to PM :wub::wub::)

as this shows the 'frames' appear to be 48" on center and the 'stringer' appear to be 6" on center.

I don't see any floors. In boatbuilding parlance floors are the pieces of wood (usually, but they can be fabricated or cast from steel or bronze) that tie together the heels of the frames and the keel. In this case it wouldn't take much bad luck like bouncing off a rock to split the boat open at the garboards.

Also, is there anything backing up the plywood butt joints on the inside of the hull? If not, is a grave omission. There should be hefty butt blocks of either plywood or multiple layers of biaxial tape all set in epoxy backing up those seams. If there is any inward flex, like say from another boat bumping into the hull, those seams will open up like a zipper. Big waves could be worse.

The reality looks like that boat isn't much more heavily built than an 18' plywood power sharpie I built about ten years ago. It had a 1/2" MDO bottom and 3/8" MDO sides. And it was a pretty lightly built boat for it's length.

Dockrat if you're still listening, you should seriously think about adding a several bulkheads inside those hulls. They will stiffen up your very light framing. Also, adding another layer or two of 5/8" ply to the outside being careful to overlap the seams will really help strengthen up what I imagine you've found is more delicate hull than you bargained for.

I don't see any floors. In boatbuilding parlance floors are the pieces of wood (usually, but they can be fabricated or cast from steel or bronze) that tie together the heels of the frames and the keel. In this case it wouldn't take much bad luck like bouncing off a rock to split the boat open at the garboards.

Also, is there anything backing up the plywood butt joints on the inside of the hull? If not, is a grave omission. There should be hefty butt blocks of either plywood or multiple layers of biaxial tape all set in epoxy backing up those seams. If there is any inward flex, like say from another boat bumping into the hull, those seams will open up like a zipper. Big waves could be worse.

The reality looks like that boat isn't much more heavily built than an 18' plywood power sharpie I built about ten years ago. It had a 1/2" MDO bottom and 3/8" MDO sides. And it was a pretty lightly built boat for it's length.

Dockrat if you're still listening, you should seriously think about adding a several bulkheads inside those hulls. They will stiffen up your very light framing. Also, adding another layer or two of 5/8" ply to the outside being careful to overlap the seams will really help strengthen up what I imagine you've found is more delicate hull than you bargained for.

Informed and helpful advice has no place in this thread.

If it did, and it was listened to by Rot Rod, this 56 page train wreck wouldnt exist.

Dont try and spoil the fun, alot of morbid facination has been invested here over the years

Now that HotRod has been thrown in the poky, can this be far behind?

hotrod_simpson.jpg

You bastard!! now you owe me a 7y.o. toshiba laptop... but thanks for the lesson : do not drink red wine a 4.15pm.

If this pic. does not win the S.A. award (remember them??) for funniest 'blow red wine out your nose award' then it will be a travesty of justice!!

GO THE HOTROD. go up the delta, or somewhere that you will not be stalked, however much I have enjoyed your efforts / journey.

If you had built this in Oz, instead of the land of hand wringing nancy-boys, you would have been encouraged till you killed everyone, but then again our heros are Ned Kelly (famous outlaw), his last words were "such is life", and Chopper Reid, famous for his (oft used here quote) HARDEN THE FUCK UP!

Unfortunately everywhere worth going to from here is to windward.....

Fuck that, nowhere is worth going to from here...... just ask the "boat people"

James "Hot Rod" Lane's dream of building a boat and sailing to Hawaii is turning into a nightmare.

Instead of being aboard his "Flyin' Hawaiian" catamaran on his journey to a new life in the shadow of Diamond Head, Lane was cooling his heels Tuesday in the Marin County Jail.

The 52-year-old jack of all trades was arrested Monday after he got into a fight with Pat Lopez, harbor master of San Rafael's Loch Lomond Marina, and bit Lopez's right middle finder "almost to the bone," according to San Rafael Police spokeswoman Margo Rohrbacher.

The bloody scrap came during a heated argument over Lane's continuing use of the marina's facilities even though his 65-foot-long, twin-hulled boat left Loch Lomond in June.Since then, the eight-ton beige behemoth, which Lane built in the Loch Lomond parking lot with his 28-year-old son, Michael, has been stuck in the mud off Spinnaker Point southwest of the yacht harbor.

The early afternoon altercation at Loch Lomond erupted after Lane became upset over his key to the marina's showers and docks being deactivated. He was taken into custody and booked on an outstanding arrest warrant from the Sutter County Sheriff's Office for failing to appear on a charge of driving with a suspended license as well as a mechanical violation. He was being held on $11,000 bail.

His legal troubles could soon get worse. Due to the extent of the harbor master's wound, the Marin County District Attorney's Office is reviewing the case and is considering filing a felony charge of battery with a serious injury, Rohrbacher said.

The fight marks a violent turn in a story that has been the talk of the sailing community. A self-described "new mariner," Lane and his homemade boat have been the subject of more than 5,400 posts on the website Sailing Anarchy, most of them ridiculing his "Home Depot" materials, do-it-yourself workmanship and lack of sailing experience.

One post derided his dream as "quixotic." Another called the plywood-hulled Flyin' Hawaiian "a shrine to futility." After Monday's arrest, someone posted, "We need to bail him out. The show must go on."

A post believed to be from Lane threatened to "swamp" anyone floating near his yacht and to "share some reg army with you." The post listed his interests as "shooting."

"I took his threats seriously enough that I decided not to get a close-up view today," a resident who has been keeping an eye on the ill-fated vessel said in an email.

Meanwhile, the Flyin' Hawaiian remains mired in the bay mud, a long way from the sandy beaches of Hawaii, where Lane had hoped to escape his blue collar existence and start a new life as a charter captain and boat builder.

"My boy was working at Walmart and I was doing contract labor," he said in a June 9 story in the Independent Journal. "I've done a lot of things trying to figure out how to make money in America. It was making me crazy trying to figure out a way to get out of the workforce."

The Flyin' Hawaiian first came to the attention of San Rafael police on Aug. 2, after the department's marine unit received a report that it appeared to be stuck in the bay mud and disabled, creating a possible hazard. When officers paid it a call in their patrol boat, they said they were told by someone aboard that they would move the mired catamaran by Aug. 15 after taking care of some "holes that needed to be repaired."

Before he launched the "Flyin' Hawaiian" at Loch Lomond over the past Memorial Day weekend, Lane and his son worked on it in the marina parking lot for most of three years, becoming an object of curiosity in the upscale bayside neighborhood as residents watched the bulky boat inexorably take shape.

Described by one acquaintance as "a character and a half," Lane came to affluent Marin from remote Butte County, where more than 12 percent of the population lives below the poverty line.

While some observers were pulling for him, others were betting the boxy boat would sink like a sieve as soon as it came in contact with water. The Flyin' Hawaiian managed to float, but Lane could not afford to keep it berthed at the marina while he continued to work on it.

Now he's a man with a leaky boat, a shattered dream and no permanent address. When he was booked into county jail, he listed his residence as "all points."

That's actually not a bad summary.

hotrod_simpson.jpg

You bastard!! now you owe me a 7y.o. toshiba laptop... but thanks for the lesson : do not drink red wine a 4.15pm.

If this pic. does not win the S.A. award (remember them??) for funniest 'blow red wine out your nose award' then it will be a travesty of justice!!

What Ah Warm/Phuzzy MoFo you juz sayjn

GO THE HOTROD. go up the delta, or somewhere that you will not be stalked, however much I have enjoyed your efforts / journey.

If you had built this in Oz, instead of the land of hand wringing nancy-boys, you would have been encouraged till you killed everyone, but then again our heros are Ned Kelly (famous outlaw), his last words were "such is life", and Chopper Reid, famous for his (oft used here quote) HARDEN THE FUCK UP!

hotrod_simpson.jpg

What Ah Warm/Phuzzy MoFo you juz sayjn

Hey dipshite, dont you have an "eatme / arsehole" to go and dine on, thank you for your retardation.

OH LOOK, over there behind the pool boy, I think its a cougar, quick woodster a photo op...

It's not my work.

I lifted it from NASIOC OFF-TOPIC, home to some of the best PhotoChoppers in existence.

They be followin' the adventures of Family Rod.

Quoting the entire article falls just a bit outside the "fair use" exemption to copyright laws. It should at least come with a link to the article.

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_23856338/flyin-hawaiian-sailboat-builder-jailed-after-fight-loch

what did he mean by "share some reg army with you." ?

Just one of his interests, apparently.

hotrodinterests.jpg

From the above article:

I know a couple of charter captains and fully intend to use this to tease them about being out of the workforce. It's like one long paid vacation!