U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

My instincts as a sailor tell me that I should be helping him... but considering this project from beginning to now, anybody helping him will only end up as a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong.

• Offer to tow the boat, and HR will blame YOU that the FH gets damaged when things go pear shaped due to lack of strong points to attach the towline, or if the thing starts falling apart in waves
  • Offer to help on board with manpower, you will not have followed his orders and so cause the next calamity.
  • Offer to help with fixing things, and it will be your sloppy work that causes the next break...

Best to stay well clear, I feel...

Maybe an attorney on here could draft a simple liability waiver for HR to sign before helping out?

It should all be Haiku or tits from now on….

Forward on the flood

franks tract as destination

time for reflection

Most public defenders are either newbies there, to gain experience or in it to keep the prosecution in check, either way, Rods going to be in deep over the assault charges. Around here, assault with an injury requiring hospitalization is a class three felony assault, it carries a five year sentence. I used to bounce down town and I've seen that charge more than a few times. Not personally mind you, as a bouncer you relatively immune to assault charges, but I've sure see plenty of jerks who started whatever end up in the poky for quite a long time.

I was hoping they would let it slide when I heard there was no finger biting at first, but apparently thats not so and although the fingers still attached, it seems like it was in fact bitten and bitten badly.

Oh speaking of bitten experience tells me that only drunks or nut jobs bite in a fight. Drunks bite and spit and scream like frightened woman, particularly if they are loosing. Nut jobs go postal and do everything from scratch and claw to bite and kick and pull weapons. Most idiots just throw a few punches and be done with it, maybe end upon on the floor one beating down another. I've broke up a lot of fights, if Rod bit the guy, its a sure sign he's not mentally well, and the stress is likely getting to him. One thing that's common to folks clinging to a self imposed false reality is that when they are faced with circumstances that force them to face the world as it is, they tend to run the gamete of emotional escapes to sustain their false reality. Rather than simply adjust there thinking in light of the truth. Rods truth is that his boat isn't going to cut it, that he's squandered everything he or his family had on it and now he's stuck in jail while his dream lies helpless on a mud bank with the clock ticking. And he's facing an unknown amount of jail time. The pressure to face reality must have him at the breaking point where he either accepts responsibility for his present condition or he slips deeper into whatever psychosis that's led him here.

I hope for his sake the judge orders an evaluation, might start him on the road to whats likely to be a long hard recovery.

Michael, do your dad a favor and drag the FH up into the calmest water you can find where you can stay a while. The boats not seaworthy and its your only shot at salvaging anything out of this mess.

Best of luck, your a good sort for sticking with your dad even through all this, he's going to need your support when he gets out, so just don't do anything rash and try and keep the family safe. I wouldn't recommend them being aboard when you tow the boat anywhere.

PS
I'd be working on several things, add bilge pumps and put the batteries/gen set up high, add some hard points to attach tow lines to. Wear a life vest. Make it happen, your dads looking for an escape and you don't want it to be you. Tow the boat to calm shallow water.

Good luck, and if you need to, ask about how to attach some hard points for the tow.

My instincts as a sailor tell me that I should be helping him... but considering this project from beginning to now, anybody helping him will only end up as a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong.

• Offer to tow the boat, and HR will blame YOU that the FH gets damaged when things go pear shaped due to lack of strong points to attach the towline, or if the thing starts falling apart in waves
  • Offer to help on board with manpower, you will not have followed his orders and so cause the next calamity.
  • Offer to help with fixing things, and it will be your sloppy work that causes the next break...

Maybe an attorney on here could draft a simple liability waiver for HR to sign before helping out?

I agree, I was going to make some suggestions as to how Michael might frame up something to back the tow points but then I thought better of it lest I open myself up whatever.

I think with a few pictures some of our more experienced guys would likely come up with some way to frame in the backing needed that would allow for it to be towed safely. But there's a liability issue that needs to be addressed

Thanks USA. There is not much I wouldn't do to have the fun of building something with Spike. But that's only a dream now.

What? are you pissed and feeling sorry for yourself?

Look back at what you built together and enjoy the memories, or are you feeling guilty because you never did that? Lots of people lose loved ones.

BP you are a self indulgent asshole.

it is extremely poor form to post personal attacks from an anonymous account. it speaks volumes more about you than it does about the person you are attacking.

personally all my interactions with bob perry have been through reading what he was written and interacting with him here. However I have never seen anything that warrants the vitriol he has gotten in a few posts. instead he was been helpful sharing his wealth of knowledge regarding boat design and let us in behind the scenes in custom designs and builds

yes he has chosen to grieve his recently lost son spike publicly, but he has not done so at the expense of anyone else's loss. moreover most of his posts are on the topic at hand without mention of his son. to attack him for mentioning that he would like the chance to build something with spike in reply to a post about father and son building projects is a terrible thing to do. made even more so that it is anonymous.

^^^ What Boston1 said 2 posts up, and try and get the bike off, just in case something goes badly wrong. At least there'll be something left.

after he allegedly literally bit the hand that helped him? waiver or not I wouldn't give him a hand towing. he is heavily weighing risk reward against himself.

after he allegedly literally bit the hand that helped him? waiver or not I wouldn't give him a hand towing. he is heavily weighing risk reward against himself.

Yes, after all those occasions when HR complimented the LL staff for being "very nice and generous" (while he was soliciting the public for donations), he turns around and bites them (literally).

He certainly does not come off as someone who can be trusted (or someone who is "stable" at least). Hope he doesn't have high expectations of assistance from strangers.

I don't know if this is really him: http://www.gofundme.com/3qfl00, asking for Lawyer $$, Bail $$ and Boat $$.

Perhaps he should be asking for Psychiatric $$$?

According to that Hotrod was asking for contributions for bail and legal defense costs on july 26th!???

Can he see into the future?

I'm not sure how to read that... Apparently 30 minutes ago he started begging for bail money. Perhaps he can edit the original?

The guy has given us so much entertainment, maybe we could each kick in $5 toward his bail, just to get the show going again? RV must still be around, since I doubt HR gets Internet access for the lockup. RV, what's the update?

Most public defenders are either newbies there, to gain experience or in it to keep the prosecution in check, either way, Rods going to be in deep over the assault charges. Around here, assault with an injury requiring hospitalization is a class three felony assault, it carries a five year sentence. (I used to bounce down town and I've seen that charge more than a few times. Not personally mind you, as a bouncer you relatively immune to assault charges, but I've sure see plenty of jerks who started whatever end up in the poky for quite a long time.

I was hoping they would let it slide when I heard there was no finger biting at first, but apparently thats not so and although the fingers still attached, it seems like it was in fact bitten and bitten badly.

Oh speaking of bitten experience tells me that only drunks or nut jobs bite in a fight. Drunks bite and spit and scream like frightened woman, particularly if they are loosing. Nut jobs go postal and do everything from scratch and claw to bite and kick and pull weapons. Most idiots just throw a few punches and be done with it, maybe end upon on the floor one beating down another. I've broke up a lot of fights, if Rod bit the guy, its a sure sign he's not mentally well, and the stress is likely getting to him. One thing that's common to folks clinging to a self imposed false reality is that when they are faced with circumstances that force them to face the world as it is, they tend to run the gamete of emotional escapes to sustain their false reality. Rather than simply adjust there thinking in light of the truth. Rods truth is that his boat isn't going to cut it, that he's squandered everything he or his family had on it and now he's stuck in jail while his dream lies helpless on a mud bank with the clock ticking. And he's facing an unknown amount of jail time. The pressure to face reality must have him at the breaking point where he either accepts responsibility for his present condition or he slips deeper into whatever psychosis that's led him here.

I hope for his sake the judge orders an evaluation, might start him on the road to whats likely to be a long hard recovery.

Michael, do your dad a favor and drag the FH up into the calmest water you can find where you can stay a while. The boats not seaworthy and its your only shot at salvaging anything out of this mess.

Best of luck, your a good sort for sticking with your dad even through all this, he's going to need your support when he gets out, so just don't do anything rash and try and keep the family safe. I wouldn't recommend them being aboard when you tow the boat anywhere.

PS

I'd be working on several things, add bilge pumps and put the batteries/gen set up high, add some hard points to attach tow lines to. Wear a life vest. Make it happen, your dads looking for an escape and you don't want it to be you. Tow the boat to calm shallow water.

Good luck, and if you need to, ask about how to attach some hard points for the tow.

you're quite the Internet expert. Got any recommendations for sunglasses? How about Black Magic sailing gloves, cool or homo?

I agree, I was going to make some suggestions as to how Michael might frame up something to back the tow points but then I thought better of it lest I open myself up whatever.

I think with a few pictures some of our more experienced guys would likely come up with some way to frame in the backing needed that would allow for it to be towed safely. But there's a liability issue that needs to be addressed

I think a bridle rigged around the entire structure would be the best way to tow the FH.

I don't think 'towing' is the answer.

I would have two 'pushers' strapped to the outside of both hulls at the aft ends, strap on auxilaries if you will.

one of the luxuries of a large cat w/power in each hull is the ability to manuver the boat at low speed without needing rudder

input, simple forward or reverse thrust on either hull does an excellent job directing the boat.

Additionally, the friction of the pusher on the FH's hulls reduces the loads transferred to a single point, which you would see if being towed.

Just lock the pusher in with standard bow, stern and springs, add a couple fenders and your good to go...

Sounds like there's going to be some assault charges after all. In which case bail isn't going to help him much, given he's in for failure to appear on lesser charges, although around here driving on suspension is an automatic 20 days. So it might be a while before we see Rod again.

I wonder how all that squares with someone here being told by a marina employee that there was no biting involved...

And biting is, well, bizarre...

Can you be a licensed captain if you go around biting people? HR / RV, you did know you can't just take people out for hire without a captain's license, right?

Simple really,

my guess would be, HR started shouting and threatening the harb. master, who said 'f*ck this' and prolly got HR into a headlock or something like that to contain/control him, and promptly got bit for his efforts.

either that, or the harb.master pointed at HR saying 'pay your bill & calm down', with the same result

Which is why the phone call to the marina said there was no biting, (at first I think they were hoping to not escalate it just so they had a chance of being paid), but now that does not look like it will happen. So the master is now saying he'll book charges.

If he paid the outstanding bill, I bet he would drop them (hint: this would be a smart thing to do)

Just save everyone some time, here is what it says at Gofundme:

The Flyin Hawaiian, home port Lahaina, Hawaii, is getting ready to sail from San Francisco Bay but help is needed to pay for sanitary pump out service and towing. Equipment needs: blocks and winches, and some outboard motors. Contribute here too for the bail fund and legal defense.

It's getting dicey out here. Windy, lots of current.

We've had a setback over some legal technicalities, so I'm sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS...

Note that as of now, no money has been raised, there are no comments, no re-tweets.... nada.

And to suggest that being arrested for outstanding warrants and possibly assault is "a setback over some legal technicalities" says a lot about Hotrod.

And to suggest that being arrested for outstanding warrants and possibly assault is "a setback over some legal technicalities" says a lot about Hotrod.

Well, he probably figured out that saying "I got busted for biting the harbor master at the local marina" is not going to be productive.

What makes you think the Gofundme site was set up by HR? I think it may be one of our SA brethren trying to make a buck.

HR's "dream" had nothing to do with sailing, his dream was to:

1. "Leave the workforce" - he listed himself as retired (at 52) on the booking sheet

2. "Stop paying taxes" - that's why he needed a boat

3. Live off his mothers disability checks and lawsuit settlements - if he can get another one, even better.

4. Completely ignore any laws or rules that he believes don't apply to him (including the laws of physics)

I have zero sympathy for him BUT, I do feel sorry for the members of his family that he is dragging down with him and taking money from.

I don't know all the ins and outs of salvage law but is there any way that a tow company could call this a salvage operation to shield themselves from any liability,

then hopefully not charge him much or anything?

It seems it would be far easier and safer to get it safely out into the delta while HR is still locked away if Michael is amenable to it......

What makes you think the Gofundme site was set up by HR? I think it may be one of our SA brethren trying to make a buck.

See, that's why I don't own a big ass cat! I just never think of clever ways to make a buck like that!

Sounds like there's going to be some assault charges after all. In which case bail isn't going to help him much, given he's in for failure to appear on lesser charges, although around here driving on suspension is an automatic 20 days. So it might be a while before we see Rod again.

I wonder how all that squares with someone here being told by a marina employee that there was no biting involved...

Can you be a licensed captain if you go around biting people? HR / RV, you did know you can't just take people out for hire without a captain's license, right?

ok. I called and spoke with the marina employee. She said categorically that the finger WAS NOT BITTEN OFF. That was the rumor when I called. She did not say there was no biting. just that the finger was NOT bitten off, and to talk to the dock master for more info and he would be in the next day. (At the time, rumors were flying that the finger was bitten OFF).

As to being a licensed captain and biting people. I am NOT aware of any special USCG certification for a biting captain.

I have met heard of quite a few famous imbibing captains ( Joseph Hazelwood ) and it could have been that someone heard a news story about him and just heard the word wrong and heard ( "him biting" ) instead...

Don't you need bulkheads in order to create hard points? I'd think anything else, short of multiple tethers, perfectly tightened to various parts of the boat, is gonna tear this "structure" apart. Bizarrely, everyone seems willing to expose the rest of the shipping and recreational traffic up the delta to this wreck-in-waiting.

Why, exactly?

This evolution has good odds of ending disastrously, and the "best" end result is a poorly funded monstrosity in someone else's back yard, falling apart steadily and (my assumption here) dumping their sewage farther upstream.

The leader of this merry band is in jail, under suspicion of assault & battery, no one involved seems to care about proper boat construction or rigging, nor do they take advice.

How is any of this improved by taking the show on the road? I think it improves things for folks in Marin Co in term of out of sight, out of mind, but I don't see why SAers should endorse or facilitate the plan.

I agree, and if anyone would be posting now it would be his son.

So... HR'FH, what is next? Where will you tow the FH? Is the FH holding together in the mud okay? Hope your pops gets out okay, that sucks.

Good luck!

Nah, my bet is that its the FH project. Fits right in.

Nah, my bet is that its the FH project. Fits right in.

The spelling and grammar is too good for it to be HR or Viking.

Looks like great news for HR.. HR is not in Custody at Marin.... did he get out? or was he transferred :(

I wouldn't suggest anyone walking that path for the foreseeable future

I am a long term liveaboard cruiser that has helped others and in turn been helped when I was in trouble. I would like to help but am too far away to do anything physically.

It looks like the FH is floating at least some of the time but from what locals are saying he can not stay where he is just now. Where is the closest place that a liveaboard can stay at anchor for three months or more.

People keep mentioning the Delta, how far is it to a decent anchorage in the Delta where he will not get hassled. Remember he needs shore access.

Should he try and stay near Benicia or is there a better spot.

I wonder if there is a towing business that needs a litle free publicity. After all the shit that has been thrown at Hotrod how about someone stepping up to the plate with some help. There was a very similar situation in the UK recently where an elderly sailor finished up on the beach. His boat was moved for him by a transport company. That company got pages of publicity. BTW they did not seek it, they moved the boat while the owner was in hospital FOC with out expecting any return.

But HR might want to do the move himself, I know what it is like to want to be independent. The FH2 has shown that it can tow the FH. Is there anyone who could go along with a similar size boat as a backup. I for one would contribute towards a gas money fund for a back up boat.

Finally NO MORE ON THE PLYWOOD GRADE, STRINGER SIZE ETC PLEASE. The boat is built, it is what it is. That stuff can not be changed.

So to summarize

Which anchorage should he head for.

How far is it.

How does he move the FH there. and can we help him with the move.

Anybody else want to help this guy.

Go the TQA!

I don't know all the ins and outs of salvage law but is there any way that a tow company could call this a salvage operation to shield themselves from any liability,

then hopefully not charge him much or anything?

It seems it would be far easier and safer to get it safely out into the delta while HR is still locked away if Michael is amenable to it......

If I understand salvage law the salvor assumes liability of the stricken vessel to one degree or another.

This slow moving train wreck is toxic, to say the least.

Yes, after all those occasions when HR complimented the LL staff for being "very nice and generous" (while he was soliciting the public for donations), he turns around and bites them (literally).

He certainly does not come off as someone who can be trusted (or someone who is "stable" at least). Hope he doesn't have high expectations of assistance from strangers.

Not trust a pathological liar? Who could have seen that coming?

It's been said before: the man has the symptoms of multiple psychological disorders, not the least of which is pathological liar. The logic he uses to "trick" people is exactly the same sort of failed neural connections I've heard and read in interviews with serial killers. His attitude towards others is downright sociopathic. That whole quirky/charming "I never said that" schtick is textbook sociopath.

hot_rod_and_manson_620px.jpg

I don't think 'towing' is the answer.

I would have two 'pushers' strapped to the outside of both hulls at the aft ends, strap on auxilaries if you will.

And VOX headsets for three: one standing up by the main mast and one for each PU pilot.

From a few days ago.

FH needs another PU.

anchored_with_bayliner_2013_08_13_800px.

ok. I called and spoke with the marina employee. She said categorically that the finger WAS NOT BITTEN OFF. That was the rumor when I called. She did not say there was no biting. just that the finger was NOT bitten off, and to talk to the dock master for more info and he would be in the next day. (At the time, rumors were flying that the finger was bitten OFF).

Ah, silly us. So did she confirm there was, in fact, a biting, regardless of whether the finger was bitten OFF?

How is [Hot Rod's situation] improved by taking the show on the road? I think it improves things for folks in Marin Co in term of out of sight, out of mind, but I don't see why SAers should endorse or facilitate the plan.

By tucking the barge away, out of sight of expensive real estate, Hot Rod immediately gains two things:

• Privacy. No more lookie-loos gawking and asking questions to which he doesn't really have answers.
  • Time. No more pressure to get the eyesore/death-trap out of 'my back yard'. (NIMBY)

Ah, silly us. So did she confirm there was, in fact, a biting, regardless of whether the finger was bitten OFF?

who care what the marina has to say. The police confirmed it in their interview with the news article

Boston1, on 14 Aug 2013 - 08:39, said:

....... speaking of bitten experience tells me that only drunks or nut jobs bite in a fight. Drunks bite and spit and scream like frightened woman, particularly if they are loosing. Nut jobs go postal and do everything from scratch and claw to bite and kick and pull weapons. Most idiots just throw a few punches and be done with it, maybe end upon on the floor one beating down another. I've broke up a lot of fights, if Rod bit the guy, its a sure sign he's not mentally well, and the stress is likely getting to him. One thing that's common to folks clinging to a self imposed false reality is that when they are faced with circumstances that force them to face the world as it is, they tend to run the gamete of emotional escapes to sustain their false reality. Rather than simply adjust there thinking in light of the truth. Rods truth is that his boat isn't going to cut it, that he's squandered everything he or his family had on it and now he's stuck in jail while his dream lies helpless on a mud bank with the clock ticking. And he's facing an unknown amount of jail time. The pressure to face reality must have him at the breaking point where he either accepts responsibility for his present condition or he slips deeper into whatever psychosis that's led him here.

I hope for his sake the judge orders an evaluation, might start him on the road to whats likely to be a long hard recovery..........

....yeh,,at this point,it seems to me that the added pressure of SA's coverage,,,,and the public ridicule HR's getting has certainly taken this situation well beyond watching a train-wreck....

.......as participants in this thread,,we're clearly -participating- in HR's demise....a rather ugly thought

As to being a licensed captain and biting people. I am NOT aware of any special USCG certification for a biting captain.

I have met heard of quite a few famous imbibing captains ( Joseph Hazelwood ) and it could have been that someone heard a news story about him and just heard the word wrong and heard ( "him biting" ) instead...

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the original post describing the biting incident did NOT say it was bitten off. It was actually a pretty accurate description of the incident.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the original post describing the biting incident did NOT say it was bitten off. It was actually a pretty accurate description of the incident.

I agree! - Tucsonbob

Thanks USA. There is not much I wouldn't do to have the fun of building something with Spike. But that's only a dream now.

What? are you pissed and feeling sorry for yourself?

Look back at what you built together and enjoy the memories, or are you feeling guilty because you never did that? Lots of people lose loved ones.

BP you are a self indulgent asshole.

You've already demonstrated that you are a psycho asshole with some sort of axe to grind - don't keep reinforcing it.

Did Perry call your boat a piece of crap or otherwise tell you to piss off at some time?

Exactly what is causing your discomfiture?

<p>

How is [Hot Rod's situation] improved by taking the show on the road? I think it improves things for folks in Marin Co in term of out of sight, out of mind, but I don't see why SAers should endorse or facilitate the plan.

By tucking the barge away, out of sight of expensive real estate, Hot Rod immediately gains two things:

• Privacy. No more lookie-loos gawking and asking questions to which he doesn't really have answers.
  • Time. No more pressure to get the eyesore/death-trap out of 'my back yard'. (NIMBY)

Not really interested in how to make things better for the Rod. I think he's created enough havoc already, and shouldn't be receiving the support and encouragement of SAers.

At this point, I'm more interested in responsible folks keeping access to the waterfront possible, and boat owners who care enough about other mariners and their property to not create a hazard to navigation.

If you think I'm being a jerk, what's your opinion going to be when they sink this thing in front of your narrow harbor entrance, ram it into your newish boat at anchor, or tear up a swing bridge, closing it for a few weeks? Insurance settlement won't be an option, and they are unreliable negotiators, to say the least. Don't get in their way; you've been warned, both in writing and by their actions.

Used to be amused, but now I'm getting disgusted. My vote just swung to Raccoon, assuming no substantial improvement in the fundamentals.

I think Shute Man is a sock puppet from that other guy that bothered the good BP way back for something or other, i seem to recall he had an internet stalker on a thread here in SA.

Shute Man, pls go away kthx bye

can we order this thread in Hard Back ??

Xmass will be here soon B)

Its sad to see how this saga can end happily. We've got a patently unstable principal in chokey after a violent assault and his sidekick out there somewhere despite one/either/both of them suggesting army treatment, swamping and describing their pastime as "shootings". They own a construction described as a boat that is self-evidently not seaworthy which may or may not contain womenfolk and it is as plain as daylight that this construction is pretty soon going to fall to bits. It may do do with or without the principals on board, it may or may not do so with the women on board, but came apart catastrophically it will. That is a given.

It may do so quietly at night risking the lives of those on board, including the women. And spread flotsam, wreckage and garbage far and wide.

It may do so after breaking loose and hazarding other shipping or property in the bay.

It may do so and sink in the channel requiring a salvage operation at who knows whose cost to keep the channel clear.

It certainly won't sit there quietly on the mud for weeks while the world discusses it.

Someone needs to take charge before it turns into a clusterf@ck. And soon.

Before it all ends in tears.

Options? In a free democracy, none very appealing; but something needs to be done, and soon.

I don't thing many if any around this Kat-Litter Box could withstand the Pressure upon HR these daz

I know I couldn't

that's why I/we wouldn't

if he had just built a 3 story Double-Wide he'd only be the talk of the park

But the addition of water keeps all cards Face-Up and All Your Chips on the BET/PLAY area

if he now has any chance it's buying a LOTTO ticket (for better odds)

This idealy should have ended w the FH splitting on the ramp where all could be dealt with safely

this is like watching a puppy on a tree trunk heading down the river to the WaterFall :o

Nothing we can do to stop it, Wishing it wouldn't happen - Yet can't look away

Looks like great news for HR.. HR is not in Custody at Marin.... did he get out? or was he transferred :(

Agreed. The Butte County jail isn't as tech savvy as Marin. No way to check who's in there. They do have a mail link...

I'd guess he got a ride to go talk to the judge up north. I'm looking to a local paper who might find this to be a "human interest" story.

The saga continues.

you are not silly, and that was not what I had intended to say. All she said was that there was NO finger bitten off, and to talk to the dock master in the morning. She would not say anything more at the time. I am fairly certain that the reporter (who had done previous stories re FH) was diligent about gathering information for the newspaper, as they would not want a problem with libel.

.............Nothing we can do to stop it, Wishing it wouldn't happen - Yet can't look away

...sad but pretty much true!

....yeh,,at this point,it seems to me that the added pressure of SA's coverage,,,,and the public ridicule HR's getting has certainly taken this situation well beyond watching a train-wreck....

.......as participants in this thread,,we're clearly -participating- in HR's demise....a rather ugly thought

Sorry there couch, but I can't agree with you there. People are free to behave any way they like, they just have to understand there are consequences to their behavior. In the case of HR he tells the world he is independent, a free thinker, not one of the sheep, following his dream no matter what people say, etc. Now that his dream is failing, he certainly can't (and to my knowledge hasn't) blamed SA or anyone else that is ridiculing him. One could argue that his recent trouble is in response to the criticism but he has brought that on himself. If indeed HR is melting down due to boat problems compounded by a certain lack of empathy here on SA, oh well, if you want to be a non-conformist, you have to expect to take some shit for it. If you say he is mentally unstable and we shouldn't pick on him, well perhaps it is best he de-compensates now and this thing finishes in a reasonable way in a foot and a half of water, than on the open seas (or even the middle of the SF Bay) where not only his life but the lives of others are at stake as well.

The altercation started in the Marina office around 1 today after HR entered and demanded to know why his marina access gate key was turned off.. He was told that since he was no longer part of the marina residents, that it was standard procedure until the key was returned. Evidently HR wasn't happy with this answer and started becoming belligerent and shoved the Harbor Master which started a fight and culminated in HR biting part of the Harbor Masters finger off (hence the previously reported blood) and fled the office. He was apprehended in front of DE dock access gates where you all know the rest of the story.

- From a resident in the Marina that was there today.

I believe you are correct, in that the Spoffo's original post mentioned a "split" finger. Then there was a post (quoted at top) that was the impetus for me to call the marina and get the scoop. And yes, as usual, Spoffo is on the mark with excellent reporting and information.

Back on Topic

1013093_549613548428731_2062604164_n.jpg

Truly a SAD Ending :o

Agreed. The Butte County jail isn't as tech savvy as Marin. No way to check who's in there. They do have a mail link...

I'd guess he got a ride to go talk to the judge up north. I'm looking to a local paper who might find this to be a "human interest" story.

The saga continues.

someone could call and explain that you are from SA and seeking the truth.....

Preface...While not a NA, I do have an M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and think i'm a reasonably good one at that. While i am 100% convinced that FH will structurally fail...the mental image that some members have articulated would lead you to believe that FH will literally explode all over the harbor...or overnight turn to shapeless ooze. I doubt either is accurate. My guess is that the ply could last as long as a year or two given that it has had at least some surface treatment. Heck...even a decent coat of paint can provide quite a lot of protection! Equally, kept in a reasonably protected anchorage the structure is likely to more or less hold together during even a moderate storm. While there isn't strength for the types of hull loads created by aggressive sailing in a rough seaway...there is probably enough structural rigidity to hold together bobbing around at anchor for quite a long time. And lets face the facts....its going to BE a long time (most probably eternity) before FH goes much further than a few miles from where it now sits.

There is always the risk of a catastrophic hull rupture but its unlikely to be in particularly deep water anytime soon and so would be easy to salvage.

My guess is that FH will simply get shuffled from here to there for quite a long time...possibly years...and very likely long enough that most of us will lose interest before anything spectacular happens.

What? But he said that we have made him "famous"... He said "we're the talk of the town"! No doubt he and RV and Mrs. HR were all enjoying this attention until the most recent chapter started...

Have you noticed how quiet HR and his kinfolk have been since the arrest?

Try Sutter County where the citation for driving with a suspended license originated.

What really turns me off about HR is the narcissism. He has been offered a lot of sound, free advice here and many experienced well meaning people have asked questions so they could offer good suggestions and HR blows them off. Instead he asks for hardware, etc. and possibly money (although I am not sure that is him). That tells me that he is firmly convinced he knows what he is doing and doesn't need any suggestions from probably the largest, most experienced body of sailors to be found in one place on the internet.

I think the constant criticism here, while sometimes not nice is more valuable than the supportive comments. The folks that support HR are merely encouraging him in the idea that he is doing things right. Dreams are nice, building a boat with his son is nice but the reality of sailing a homebuilt incoherent piece of shit in a big, big, unsentimental ocean trumps all of that warm fuzzy stuff IMHO. If HR gets bailed out (in the legal sense) and promises to tow the FH to some shallow quiet backwater in the Bay area, I will pay-pal him $100.00 immediately on seeing positive proof.

I dont expect to see HR outside lockup for at least a year. This arrest is serious --as alleged, it shows that he is a danger to self and others. If he has priors, then its bye-bye

That puts Viking in charge. Alone.

All is lost...

After doing his time, he could be classified as a Mentally Disordered Offender, MDO. (Ironic, I'm no expert but isn't MDO a plywood classification?)

California can impose mental health treatment (in a locked facility) as a condition of parole when it finds that the inmate/parolee meets the following criteria:

The prisoner has a severe mental disorder; *

The prisoner used force or violence or caused serious bodily injury in one of the prisoner's commitment crimes;

The severe mental disorder was one of the causes of or was an aggravating factor in the commission of the crime for which the prisoner was sentenced to prison; *

The prisoner's "severe mental disorder is not in remission" or "cannot be kept in remission without treatment" *

The prisoner had been in treatment for the severe mental disorder for ninety (90) days or more within the year prior to The prisoner's parole or release; and

As a result of the severe mental disorder, the prisoner represents a "substantial danger of physical harm to others".

The delusions go back at east 3 years. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a history of crazy and violence, although it's possible his mental illness was caused by his accident. Except for blunt force head trauma or drug abuse (meth), it rather unusual to start criminal behavior as a middle aged male.

I dont expect to see HR outside lockup for at least a year. This arrest is serious --as alleged, it shows that he is a danger to self and others. If he has priors, then its bye-bye

That puts Viking in charge. Alone.

All is lost...

After doing his time, he could be classified as a Mentally Disordered Offender, MDO. (Ironic, I'm no expert but isn't MDO a plywood classification?)

California can impose mental health treatment (in a locked facility) as a condition of parole when it finds that the inmate/parolee meets the following criteria:

The prisoner has a severe mental disorder; *

The prisoner used force or violence or caused serious bodily injury in one of the prisoner's commitment crimes;

The severe mental disorder was one of the causes of or was an aggravating factor in the commission of the crime for which the prisoner was sentenced to prison; *

The prisoner's "severe mental disorder is not in remission" or "cannot be kept in remission without treatment" *

The prisoner had been in treatment for the severe mental disorder for ninety (90) days or more within the year prior to The prisoner's parole or release; and

As a result of the severe mental disorder, the prisoner represents a "substantial danger of physical harm to others".

The delusions go back at east 3 years. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a history of crazy and violence, although it's possible his mental illness was caused by his accident. Except for blunt force head trauma or drug abuse (meth), it rather unusual to start criminal behavior as a middle aged male.

Really? You guys in CA can't keep serious felons locked up. Yeah HR is in trouble, but not the kind of trouble that gets him locked up for a good bit of time.

Preface...While not a NA, I do have an M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and think i'm a reasonably good one at that. While i am 100% convinced that FH will structurally fail...the mental image that some members have articulated would lead you to believe that FH will literally explode all over the harbor...or overnight turn to shapeless ooze. I doubt either is accurate. My guess is that the ply could last as long as a year or two given that it has had at least some surface treatment. Heck...even a decent coat of paint can provide quite a lot of protection! Equally, kept in a reasonably protected anchorage the structure is likely to more or less hold together during even a moderate storm. While there isn't strength for the types of hull loads created by aggressive sailing in a rough seaway...there is probably enough structural rigidity to hold together bobbing around at anchor for quite a long time. And lets face the facts....its going to BE a long time (most probably eternity) before FH goes much further than a few miles from where it now sits.

There is always the risk of a catastrophic hull rupture but its unlikely to be in particularly deep water anytime soon and so would be easy to salvage.

My guess is that FH will simply get shuffled from here to there for quite a long time...possibly years...and very likely long enough that most of us will lose interest before anything spectacular happens.

Well, I'm not a NA or ME but the major problem is the crossbeams or lack thereof. Cats create a unique engineering issue that monos just don't have and that is the hull to bridgedeck connection. The Polynesians and Wharram conquered this with structurally adequate crossbeams that go from the outside of one hull to the outside of the other. A lack of these will cause the hulls to splay out as we have seen from day one. The FH hulls are only connected to the bridgedeck by beams that terminate at the inside of the hulls and not the outside and those are held by carraige bolts. Add more weight to the bridgedeck and you add more stress and splay. Put that boat in a fairly marginal seaway like a 4' swell and I suspect that joint will fail. It will be sudden and violent and really fuckin scary. Take a 2' X 2'peice of ply and just nail some sticks to it for your chair legs and it will stay there. Now stick your ass in that seat and those legs will give and dump your butt on the floor. Same principle.

Modern cats don't have these visible beams but they are still in there engineering wise.

I posted this before. Sorry.

Middle aged ? I don't know a lot of 104-year olds...

Fuck off Shark! I'm still middle aged.

You know, modern medicine, Obama care and all that crap. I'm livin way longer than 104.

Middle aged ? I don't know a lot of 104-year olds...

Fuck off Shark! I'm still middle aged.

You know, modern medicine, Obama care and all that crap. I'm livin way longer than 104.

perception of age is an exponential curve..... at the start one feels like you haven't reached the peak. Towards the middle it appears that you are still far from the end.... and have a ways to go.. At the end... there is little you can do to extend it forward.

Lat 38 has a new story about HR and FH... http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2013-08-14

Highlights:

The construction of James 'Hot Rod' Lane's 65-ft catamaranFlyin' Hawaiian was one of the more bizarre efforts in the annals of Bay Area boatbuilding — right alongside Tin Can andPlastiki. But the boat's story recently became even more bizarre.

then some new info re CG:

But euphoria over the successful launch faded shortly after the pair finally left the shelter of the quiet North Bay marina. After being towed by the marina's launch to an open-water anchorage near the Marin Islands, the engineless cat eventually dragged anchor (or drifted during a practice sail) into the an area of rocky outcroppings along the North Marin shoreline called The Sisters. Quickly responding to Lane's mayday, Coast Guard assets kept the unwieldy cat from being destroyed on the rocks and towed her to an open roadstead off McNear's Beach. A few days later she turned up in shoal waters south of the San Rafael Channel, apparently aground, about a mile from Loch Lomand Marina facilities.

which begs the necessity of a pair of remotely operated, solar powered webcams be installed on the rig so we can keep an eye on things from afar.

Well, I'm not a NA or ME but the major problem is the crossbeams or lack thereof. Cats create a unique engineering issue that monos just don't have and that is the hull to bridgedeck connection. The Polynesians and Wharram conquered this with structurally adequate crossbeams that go from the outside of one hull to the outside of the other. A lack of these will cause the hulls to splay out as we have seen from day one. The FH hulls are only connected to the bridgedeck by beams that terminate at the inside of the hulls and not the outside and those are held by carraige bolts. Add more weight to the bridgedeck and you add more stress and splay. Put that boat in a fairly marginal seaway like a 4' swell and I suspect that joint will fail. It will be sudden and violent and really fuckin scary. Take a 2' X 2'peice of ply and just nail some sticks to it for your chair legs and it will stay there. Now stick your ass in that seat and those legs will give and dump your butt on the floor. Same principle.

Modern cats don't have these visible beams but they are still in there engineering wise.

I posted this before. Sorry.

Well,at least this is one disagreement that will be resolved with facts. Hard to really tell just looking at the pictures but it was supposed to fall apart during the build, then it was supposed to fall apart on the "trailer", then it was supposed to fall apart once it hit the water, then when it was supposed to fall apart when it left the marina. Then when it got stuck in the mud. Supposed to fall apart when it got towed (USCG) yet somehow here we are and if you look at all the recent pictures seems to be structurally stable.....so my money is that it will be around for awhile.

Things have changed quite recently

enough mentally Jacked Up Fackers have Killed enough innocent people to tip the cart from looking the other way

I had mentioned a Total Nut Case living doors down from my Mom

dude would get on roof of house or in street Nakid and whack-off

he got

Are You ready

a ticket for

Ok here it comes

Driving w/o a license - Then never showed

cops one day responding to a complaint of his disruptive behavior and a "Check the Welfare" of his Mom

the failure to appear shows up before they arrive

when they try to question him he bolts knocking him Mom over w an elbow to the face

he escaped briefly as they help Mom but catch him up against my MotorHome while running down the street

FUCKER IS GONE BABY !!!!!!!!! I don't know if it's been a year or not but I/we don't miss him

as it happened in front of the FUZZ Mom has nothing to drop - He is THEIR's

I can see HR staying in the Pokey (why they call it that :o:lol::lol::lol: ) for a Long time

HR has no viability in his plan to Go Away, and is a RISK to All

Wonder how HR's Mom is doing w/o bathroom or shower ??

and with the loss of the bredwhiner how will Mom eat Etc. ???

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude-

"...felony assault charges are being considered by the Marin County DA."

Some more boat porn for you, all taken by me. The Phoenix was used in the filming of Hornblower, the Earl of Pembroke may have been too.

No action pics I'm afraid.

post-99024-0-72732800-1376511598_thumb.jpg

post-99024-0-27246900-1376511669_thumb.jpg

post-99024-0-93680800-1376511791_thumb.jpg

I just spent the last half hour talking to a person who was frequently at LL during the land side portion of this epic. He has been inside FH many times, knows them and some of the inside story pretty well. He is himself a blue water sailor and a carpenter.

Let me tell you, you guys have underestimated HR's looniness. He does say the build quality is up to garden shed standards, and said several times HR was a smart guy who could get things done, but this was, shall we say, biting off more than he could chew. I can't go into detail that would identify him, but he made numerous donations to the boat cause and visited FH many times and was often invited in while it was in the parking lot. He said HR built a very nice kitchen, "but I never called it a galley" and his description of some of the sailing/boat related items inside had us both in stitches.

RE the LL incident there was much said, and some of it probably libelous, this board doesn't need another suit, He thought it was no surprise that the HM and HR would clash but was more than surprised to hear its outcome.

I am also more aware of just how epic their journey to where they are now is, this board doesn't know the half of what that family has done to reach this point. It is really too bad they didn't focus this energy in a more productive way.

HR's arrest made the World of Boating Facebook page, and will probably be on this Saturday's radio podcast.

Good chance that the wire services will all get this in the next week. Rod will be world famous

I just spent the last half hour talking to a person who was frequently at LL during the land side portion of this epic. He has been inside FH many times, knows them and some of the inside story pretty well. He is himself a blue water sailor and a carpenter.

Let me tell you, you guys have underestimated HR's looniness. He does say the build quality is up to garden shed standards, and said several times HR was a smart guy who could get things done, but this was, shall we say, biting off more than he could chew. I can't go into detail that would identify him, but he made numerous donations to the boat cause and visited FH many times and was often invited in while it was in the parking lot. He said HR built a very nice kitchen, "but I never called it a galley" and his description of some of the sailing/boat related items inside had us both in stitches.

RE the LL incident there was much said, and some of it probably libelous, this board doesn't need another suit, He thought it was no surprise that the HM and HR would clash but was more than surprised to hear its outcome.

I am also more aware of just how epic their journey to where they are now is, this board doesn't know the half of what that family has done to reach this point. It is really too bad they didn't focus this energy in a more productive way.

For fuck's sakes meuritt, You can't just leave it like that. Talk about leaving people hanging, geez. At least put "Allegedly" throughout a more detailed post about the Journey and just how this lot got to Floating in the bay..... WOW, just WOW

For fuck's sakes meuritt, You can't just leave it like that. Talk about leaving people hanging, geez. At least put "Allegedly" throughout a more detailed post about the Journey and just how this lot got to Floating in the bay..... WOW, just WOW

Yes, please. Don't make me bite you.

FH is reportedly under tow (towards Sausalito) by FH Jr and skippered by Hot Rod himself. Just got word from the marina. Sorry no photos, just timely reporting.