• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

someone should walk up to the guy and tell em

SA would like to charter it for the up-coming AC

You just know that's why he built it

Then w the money (from the deposits) he can go to the SoPacific some other way B)

Has he given any information as to what he is going to ise as a sailplan?

Anything less than a tall ship style rig and that barge is going to lose against the tide, provided it doesn't break immediately.

Way back on page two "bhyde" made two posts:

From page #2, post #134:

Some quick facts from “Hotrod” himself:

Length : 65'

Beam : 35'

Rig : 35' main mast, 28' mizzen.

Displacement: 5 tons (10,000lbs) est.

Aux Power : Twin 9hp outboard 2/4 stroke gas engines. Twin genset 120vac electrical fitment

From page #2, post # 145

Regarding “Hotrod’s” sailing experience:

“He has sailed a Hobie16 and a dinghy. I believe he said he currently owns them. He has no offshore experience, but as he said, "It's all the same." Not really sure what that means.”

Along that same line "Somebody Else" suggested the main mast was from a Cal 25.

Yeah, that's the ticket

Any news?

It would be a shame to have this fine craft be launched and off to the pacific without and video or pic's.

With every picture it just gets worse.

When the side your hull presents more area to the wind than your sail, there might be a problem that 2 9hp engines will not be able to solve.

Main sail area on a Cal 25 is ~141 sqft and around 300ish with a genoa....with those "hulls" oh boy. I love home built projects and people who invest time and resources into challenging the norm. Just sad, really with what he had he could have built a nice boat that would have met *most* of his goals. Proven plans from real naval architects for live aboard ocean capable boats like this 63' cat for <5k .

I really hope he takes it out alone the first (and likely last) time.

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/

If someone sets it up ill tip in the first $50AUD..

If you really want to help, you would be best investing that money with whichever organisation that's gonna be responsible for rescuing him 15 minutes after he launches.

Got to admire the optimism though, main sail is flaked on the boom ready to go!

...it looks like the center of effort might be a bit too far aft :mellow:

As if anyone expects the sail plan will magically be the result of a thoughtful study in stark contrast to what has come before.

To be fair, I think what you're looking at is the mizzen of a ketch rig. I think he scavenged something like a Catalina 30 rig for the main.

I think the phrase you were looking for is "rotting in the sun."

...it looks like the center of effort might be a bit too far aft :mellow:

To be fair, I think what you're looking at is the mizzen of a ketch rig. I think he scavenged something like a Catalina 30 rig for the main.

...ooooh,,sounds like a nice powerful sailplan,,,should hit a plane as it falls off the end of the earth.

...'specially with all the animals onboard!

I'm not buying that.

I think things have been photochopped into those pictures.

The boat that is, not the mast. :lol:

PS has anybody seen the hull exterior closeup? Is it just painted plywood? or are there layers of glass over it?

The boat is rigged as a ketch. The second (forward) mast is lying by the port hull.

If Hotrod's sailing skill is anything like his building skill, I going to bet the San Rafael bridge is about as far as he will get. The Chevron oil warf is also a likely, very unforgiving, downwind finally resting place. Pictures cannot fully convey how poorly this thing is conctructed, you simply have to experience it first-hand.

I like the toe rails. is that oak?

is that a rudder I see flipped up in the second pic?

The kickup rudder is a nice touch. It will allow him to get into shallow water so his mother can storm ashore in her wheelchair Normandy Landings-style.

The guys that work at the local Hardware Store have to love it when this guy comes in...I would say local Marine Store, but by the looks of it, he's never been in one?

The boat is rigged as a ketch. The second (forward) mast is lying by the port hull.

If Hotrod's sailing skill is anything like his building skill, I going to bet the San Rafael bridge is about as far as he will get. The Chevron oil warf is also a likely, very unforgiving, downwind finally resting place. Pictures cannot fully convey how poorly this thing is conctructed, you simply have to experience it first-hand.

Ahh Bob, you're too generous. You've mellowed. Where's he "launching" from again? I predict that if it's next spring, as soon as the westerly kicks in he will wash up in pieces directly to leeward. 1 broadside wave, just a little one, will have that thing busting apart.

I feel pretty bad for the guy. Must've been a nasty divorce or some other personal trauma for him to keep at this.

I feel pretty bad for the guy. Must've been a nasty divorce or some other personal trauma for him to keep at this.

Stupid is stubborn...

I think the phrase you were looking for is "rotting in the sun."

I guess we can all hope that when we're left someplace to rot, someone does a neat job of it.

I see what looks like a marina in the background. Has no one tallked to this guy? I think he is building a B&B for the marina. No way this thing leaves the marina.

I wonder how much money he has sunk into this thing already? He probably could have bought a halfway decent boat for whatever it is?

...I really want to see how this unfolds

I know it's a shit load of pages to read through but the recent questions are answered in there. If you sift out the useless post' by posters name (ahem......woody, etc.) its not that long and actually pretty entertaining. The early pictures of the internal structure and the interviews with Hotrod explain it all.

Rudders1.jpg

Twin backstays attached to verandah posts assist in lifting the verandah and bringing sunlight into the lounge area when the wind increases above 10 knots.

Rudders2.jpg

rudders made out of aquadhered used icecream sticks held by oversized paper bulldog clips, give this vessel a triple A office waste recycling rating. But how do those rudder blades hinge exactly ? a 3/16" gutter bolt ?

The length of rusty used square steel tube is a mystery..... A bow pole for ramming maersk freighters ?

Rusty BBQ kettle on the aft deck by the steering station is a nice touch. Hitting the snags, while hitting the snags ?

Sure, but he's got a nice bar-b-que.

Rudders1.jpg

Twin backstays attached to verandah posts assist in lifting the verandah and bringing sunlight into the lounge area when the wind increases above 10 knots.

Rudders2.jpg

rudders made out of aquadhered used icecream sticks held by oversized paper bulldog clips, give this vessel a triple A office waste recycling rating. But how do those rudder blades hinge exactly ? a 3/16" gutter bolt ?

The length of rusty used square steel tube is a mystery..... A bow pole for ramming maersk freighters ?

Rusty BBQ kettle on the aft deck by the steering station is a nice touch. Hitting the snags, while hitting the snags ?

I'd like to know how he's going to steer and see forward at the same time….

None of these trivialities matter however. Unfortunately, he won't get a chance to steer her with sails up. It won't last that long.

Kind of wondering where the traveler/sheet blocks for the mizzen are going to go. Please tell me it's going to bolt to the 1/2" plywood sheet covering the sun room. Wow, it only gets better and better...

Go The Hotrod!

Kind of wondering where the traveler/sheet blocks for the mizzen are going to go.

Why would he have a traveler? I've never seen cruisers touch the traveler ever. I'm thinking a galvanized eye-bolt should do the trick. Maybe get some of those galvanized pullys used for raising bamboo venetian blinds for purchase. 2:1 ought to be enough, right?

Actually, I HAVE seen cruisers adjust the traveler: it's used to move the boom to the side so you don't bump your head when coming upstairs from inside, right?

I see where he hasn't quite figured out what to do with the mizzen headfoil yet...

Hey! At least he's got a sail cover on that bitch now.

Kind of wondering where the traveler/sheet blocks for the mizzen are going to go. Please tell me it's going to bolt to the 1/2" plywood sheet covering the sun room. Wow, it only gets better and better...

Go The Hotrod!

It cant be a mizzen mast because it has a checkstay (babystay) in place of a forestay, going from the spreaders to the centre of the cabin roof which would impede a mainsail boom, This looks like the complete rig already. As currently rigged, the mast will break at the spreaders as soon as he sheets on the mainsail. He cant work out how to shorten the headfoil/forestay, or where to take it to that is structurally sound enough...

This pig is going to weathercock like a beauty if it floats long enough to hoist a sail, after which it will be unsteerable.

Interesting rudder stocks. It will take him another year to work out how to link them up to the wheel steering.

Rudders1.jpg

Rudders2.jpg

I'm calling bullshit on those pics. Looks like someone parked their Catalina 27 on the other side of that thing. Need some shots from different angles.

It cant be a mizzen mast because it has a checkstay (babystay) in place of a forestay, going from the spreaders to the centre of the cabin roof which would impede a mainsail boom,

That's temporary.

Or at least it MIGHT be temporary. The small mainmast could easily be forward enough to clear that inner forestay.

The main mast has already been photographed. It's lying in the dirt or on some sawhorses near by.

Also, please note the real headstay complete with headfoil dangling twisted in the photo.

Still wondering how they're gonna get Granny's wheelchair up the back stairs.

Still wondering how they're gonna get Granny's wheelchair up the back stairs.

Perhaps the mizzen rig is ornamental, and nothing but a cunning plan to lift grannys wheelchair. Otherwise Granny is already aboard, and has been living on it for a year now. That was the true plan the whole time. Get her out of the backyard shed, and in a wooden box already. Some old people just dont take a hint...

Rudders1.jpg

Rudders2.jpg

I'm calling bullshit on those pics. Looks like someone parked their Catalina 27 on the other side of that thing. Need some shots from different angles.

Scroll up for other photos showing Grannys wooden box from the front end. Its not a catalina, Its grannys new knickers clothesline.

I was there last week

from right side

petephoneoct2912009.jpg

has a bowsprit

petephoneoct2912011.jpg

no pics of the rudder actuation system, but just a sketchy as the rest of it - mostly underspec thin black steel push/pull rod

mainmast mast head detail

petephoneoct2912012.jpg

I swear - the closer he gets, the sadder it gets

Love the porch light next to the sliding glass door. I can guarantee you it's 120VAC from Home Depot. No detail is too small for Hotrod!

post-180-0-10875900-1351540633_thumb.jpg

Love the porch light next to the sliding glass door.

Are you looking on the left (port) side of the sliding glass doors? I am no expert, but I think that is the ship's bell!

Every ship has a bell. Ergo, if he has a bell, he has a ship!

Love the porch light next to the sliding glass door.

Are you looking on the left (port) side of the sliding glass doors? I am no expert, but I think that is the ship's bell!

Every ship has a bell. Ergo, if he has a bell, he has a ship!

My first thought was, "Hey, Hotrod has the same porch light that I do," but you could be right. A ship's bell makes a lot more sense. And if we've learned anything, it's Hotrod is a sensible guy. Ding, ding ding, here comes the shit boat. I can hear it now.

I'm not real familiar with all the weird sound protocols used by ships, except for the five blast get-the-fuck-out-of-the-way-you-asshat one, but is there a sound signal for "My POS plywood claptrap is breaking up?"

My first thought was, "Hey, Hotrod has the same porch light that I do," but you could be right. A ship's bell makes a lot more sense. And if we've learned anything, it's Hotrod is a sensible guy. Ding, ding ding, here comes the shit boat. I can hear it now.

I'm not real familiar with all the weird sound protocols used by ships, except for the five blast get-the-fuck-out-of-the-way-you-asshat one, but is there a sound signal for "My POS plywood claptrap is breaking up?"

no - i think it's the door bell. how else will he know he has a visitor on the back porch?

I he were on the east coast right now she would be close to floating or down to the last few hours before she was set free.

last guy who worked that plan actually got away with it, mind you, at first glance you can see why the unicorns said "fuck you noah"

I have never seen a catamaran that has a fordeck without a mesh that will let waves through.

I wonder if one big wave would initiate the process of structural failure.

...not if a few little ones get it first :mellow:

A massive, heavy, asymmetrical, underpowered,door hinge (?) mounted rudders, no rocker, huge windage catamaran? Nah i wouldn't worry about big waves, pretty sure rocks and/or other obstructions will destroy this guys dreams before big waves get their turn.

The mere act of launching this thing will ensure that it never gets anywhere near a wave large enough to hit the foredeck.

The mere act of launching this thing will ensure that it never gets anywhere near a wave large enough to hit the foredeck.

a Wave.at sea???????????? chance in a million, never happen

Big steel

Sure, but he's got a nice bar-b-que.

Rudders1.jpg

Rudders2.jpg

Not anymore. Cross support for the main mast. :blink:

Is the rigging from HD as well?? Who swaged the fittings?? at $20 a pop he must have made some coin..... :D

Is the diagonal black thing between the masts a gin pole or something? How will the main sail tack with all that shit in there?

Can't wait to see this thing hit the water, whether it floats or not, its clearly been one of the best SA sagas in a while...

Thanks for all the pics!

9C3063B8-EA56-47A3-AB2F-E6BF6266603F-231-0000002E9DE34DFC.jpgBF9F9A8C-4791-427D-AA05-F64B622D38CE-231-0000002E7106E443.jpg

All he needs now

is a gollywobbler and about 4 whompers

an he's Good to Go

Sadly he missed this past weekends RedBull event

Could have made quite a Splash

perhaps he's on pace for next year's ??

Is the diagonal black thing between the masts a gin pole or something? How will the main sail tack with all that shit in there?

Of course I have no way of knowing, but I'm guessing it's the foot/leach boom for the main tops'l. Is that what that rig is called? A stays'l ketch?

sailing-2.jpg

Ketch.jpg

This thread always makes me smile.

I wonder what he's using for standing/running rigging? Purchased at the local Ace Hardware as well????

Anybody know if he has approached any of the local sailmakers yet?

I'm still thinking this is all just a ploy to take advantage of some sort of obscure squatters land rights law. The old say you are building a boat but it is really a house in disguise and live in it for a year and the land is yours sort of deal.

Damn, this guy has really piled a bunch of time and energy into this. Just saw a refurbed Horstman 50 hit the market, he'd have been much better off...

Mr. Razor,

Have you ever talked to a 'schooner person'? It's a state of mind, not a sail plan. A few too many Jimmy Buffett songs coupled with a few too many tequilas/rums/acid trips/whatever. Their eyes glaze over as they wax romantically about future journeys off into the infinite.

HotRod and VoidHo would probably HATE each other -- too much alike.

he would want to have a heap of second had sails.

No reputable sailmaker would want to have anything to do with it for the fear of being knowing as a $$$ graber

he would want to have a heap of second had sails.

No reputable sailmaker would want to have anything to do with it for the fear of being knowing as a $$$ graber

Why on earth would he deal with a sailmaker? He hasn't dealt with anyone in the marine industry yet ...

Blue poly tarps and duct tape, that's the ticket. They'll outlast the boat, right?

Why on earth would he deal with a sailmaker? He hasn't dealt with anyone in the marine industry yet ...

Blue poly tarps and duct tape, that's the ticket. They'll outlast the boat, right?

CONSTRUCTION GUIDE FOR MAKING

HIGH PERFORMING POLYTARP SAILS

By Dave Gray

All Rights Reserved

image002.jpg

PolySail International

2291 SE Gaslight St., Port St. Lucie, FL 34952-7332

Email polysail@polysail.com or call Dave Gray at 317 385-3444

PolySails–Sold on the Web since 1996. Customers in all 50 states and around the globe.

This page updated on 9/12/2012