U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

So they need flares, PFDs, lights if running at night, holding tank for sanitation, etc.

No inspections needed, no insurance requirement. But you need license ...like it matters

What about stanchions and lifelines? I thought you had to have a fire suppression system in the engine compartments.

So they need flares, PFDs, lights if running at night, holding tank for sanitation, etc.

No inspections needed, no insurance requirement. But you need license ...like it matters

What about stanchions and lifelines? I thought you had to have a fire suppression system in the engine compartments.

Only if you have engines...

I'm not so sure Grim isn't a puppet just trying to spread rumors. If FH had really been wrecked I don't think ole Rod would be playing on line the way he has this evening.

That assumes you have an engine compartment. This requires an engine.

I'm not sure that the collection of defunct Seagulls stacked like cordwood on the back porch count.

My recollection is that a 6-pac requires taking a course, passing a test, writing a check, and a certain amount of documented sea time.

Not at all sure that HR is capable of any of them.

Of course he could claim to be a "dockside attraction" like Bounty, so he would be legal for three hour cruises, so long as he cast off neither bow line, stern line nor either spring.

Yes, it's Hot Rod Scatamaran dot com.

Reminds me of a dealership in our state, which was named Boater's Exchange, back when that seemed like a good idea.

boatersexchange.com - not such a great idea.

We had the same thing here - Popeyessailorsexchange.com - when I pointed it out to my wife she also could only read it as Popeyes Sailor Sex change. :D

I'm not so sure Grim isn't a puppet just trying to spread rumors. If FH had really been wrecked I don't think ole Rod would be playing on line the way he has this evening.

Straight from his FB page 22mins ago:

"Well the wind came and we drug about a 700yards we had down a 150lbs navy stockless and a 40lbs danforth with a 150'of 7/16 chain between them. We started to slip at 3 am .i put two more danforths down then even threw down my two fisherman anchors .i just kept plowing along. Reseting and Reseting.. buy 430am I narrowly managed to mis a trimmaran buy switching the anchors from forward to aft crabing the Hawaiian around th tri. I had tryed calling coast gard but said the tide was out and the water was to shallow.that they wernt comming. But if i wanted a ride off the yacht they'd send a helicopter.

About seven the wind started to calm and the yacht stopped slipping for the moment. I call everyone i had a number for and couldn't find a boat that could move mine.

Buy eight am mike and i were no closer to a solution.

The coasties said to grab a holt of anything and hope for the best. Buy ten am still no change but the waves began to calm and buy eleven mike was in the tender and i could see the ocean comming more .i saw a moring ball a couple hundred yards west. And if i put the seagull 8 hp on one side and the tender out front i could pull the yacht over slowly because i had moved it once before with just the eight horse.

But if we r going to do it we have to do it now while the wind is low. So mike is at the back of the yacht and we start to set up for the move and the guys that do pump outs comes buy ,and says u aright.wow what luck he has a 125 horse motor and wants to help. Ive got the coasties on the phone and so i told them id call them back i think a local hero just showed up .i asked him if he would tow us a couple hundred yards to the ball and he said no problem."

Seems like HR had a little trouble there. Not sure why he wouldn't just set the sails and sail back upwind to reset the anchors. Kind of weird for a sailboat.

I'm pretty sure the Coasties did not say, "Grab a holt of anything and hope for the best" or we'll send a helicopter. That's HR doin' the HR shuffle with the truth.

I could imagine it would be:

"We will not tow your vessel. Are you requesting rescue?"

Sounds like they dodged the first winter bullet.

Good luck, man.

I wouldn't call that breeze a winter storm by any stretch, wasn't windy enough, nor was the duration significant.

He may have proved enough strength in the attachment point because FH drug a "150# stockless and a 40# danforth" through the mud. In addition, what I get outta that is he doesn't grasp scope. Whodathunk he missed that?

HR, From the attachment point to the water depth at HIGH WATER is an important bit of into, and in RB with a southerly, the water will keep coming in and you will get highs much higher than the tide book will show. Take that number and multiply by 5 for average weather, like yesterday, 7 for a good blow and 10 or more for a real storm.

Am I right in think your free board to the attachment is about 8 feet? Let's assume you have water about the dept it was when Oronoco and I motored around FH a month ago, 7'. Add those two and you get 15'. Times 7 for a situation like yesterdays breeze equals 105' *for each anchor*. When the real storms come you are going to want at least 150' on each anchor.

The 75' of 7/16 chain (assuming two equal length pieces)will need to be attached to some big piece of line like those that I gave you. As I said, they are not the best for anchor rode, but if that is what you have you got to use it. I think the rule of thumb for rope to is 3 time the chain for the rope. 1/2 inch isn't going to do in a big blow. 1" is a better bet

When the big storms hit, remember one rule about anchor scope: When in doubt, let it out. more rode is better, it makes it less likely for the anchors to be pulled out (lifted up) by the wave action.

You got off easy this time, just because you are on a mooring ball, you can't assume it has been properly set up to begin with, and has been maintained. It may not have a big enough anchor itself for the FH, and its chain and/or attachment points could be rotted from years underwater. It's best to use your own gear you know is set up correctly.

here is some more info that will help you:

http://yachtpals.com/anchoring

good luck

>Straight from his FB page 22mins ago:

"Well the wind came and we drug about a 700yards we had down a 150lbs navy stockless and a 40lbs danforth with a 150'of 7/16 chain between them. We started to slip at 3 am .i put two more danforths down then even threw down my two fisherman anchors .i just kept plowing along. Reseting and Reseting.. buy 430am I narrowly managed to mis a trimmaran buy switching the anchors from forward to aft crabing the Hawaiian around th tri. I had tryed calling coast gard but said the tide was out and the water was to shallow.that they wernt comming. But if i wanted a ride off the yacht they'd send a helicopter.

About seven the wind started to calm and the yacht stopped slipping for the moment. I call everyone i had a number for and couldn't find a boat that could move mine.

The coasties said to grab a holt of anything and hope for the best. Buy ten am still no change but the waves began to calm and buy eleven mike was in the tender and i could see the ocean comming more .i saw a moring ball a couple hundred yards west. And if i put the seagull 8 hp on one side and the tender out front i could pull the yacht over slowly because i had moved it once before with just the eight horse.

But if we r going to do it we have to do it now while the wind is low. So mike is at the back of the yacht and we start to set up for the move and the guys that do pump outs comes buy ,and says u aright.wow what luck he has a 125 horse motor and wants to help. Ive got the coasties on the phone and so i told them id call them back i think a local hero just showed up .i asked him if he would tow us a couple hundred yards to the ball and he said no problem."

Seems like HR had a little trouble there. Not sure why he wouldn't just set the sails and sail back upwind to reset the anchors. Kind of weird for a sailboat.

I'm pretty sure the Coasties did not say, "Grab a holt of anything and hope for the best" or we'll send a helicopter. That's HR doin' the HR shuffle with the truth.

One way to find out. I'll file the FOIA request...

So the shedamaran starts dragging and HR just starts chucking more anchors over the side.

You can not make this shit up.

That was nice of the pump-out guy, but was not really his job. Things could get ugly if either boat was damaged.

That's why people buy towing insurance, even for boats that generally do not need a tow to move. It really doesn't cost all that much and typical Sea Tow or Towboat US boats have the right power and equipment to tow your boat.

sooner or later, someone will chime in with:

that better not be my mooring that you are squatting on there HR. It doesnt have adequate ground tackle for a raft your size, you arent there by consent and if you damage it, or drag it off location you will get the bill to have it fixed. It cost me a lot to put it down, and its a private one. when i return with my boat and find it gone, you will also get to pay for my expenses and time in having to find an alternative temporary mooring. About $20k is a reasonable estimate of what you will be up for. Nobody likes a squatter HR, especially a finger chomper. .

That be one serious child-bearing pelvis! eek.gif

A man could get lost down there! yeah.gif

You're only "lost" if you want to go somewhere else

Personally, on second look that photo does look a bit altered from hip to ribs on her left... bet she still looks very very good

FB- Doug

Enjoy it while you can - after one kid those hips will be twice that size.

What is this "after" you speak of?

So the shedamaran starts dragging and HR just starts chucking more anchors over the side.

You can not make this shit up.

Makes me wonder if there are any boats around there missing anchors from their bow chocks.

But look how much he's learned, he now knows what an "anchor" is, even spells it properly, and knows a couple of different kinds. Shucks he even used some chain which I hope did not come off the Harlisaki

FB- Doug

Rod, anyone ever mention the term pathological liar to you before ? Its hard not to notice a lot of wild claims going by the wayside. The efforts to obscure the truth, pictures of boats that aren't yours on your web site. The list is endless. Meteorologist ? Carpenter ?

Its kinda like building a boat and convincing yourself its seaworthy, your not really fooling anyone but yourself.

It must be nice to sit back and talk smack ,with nothing to lose. Like a room full of unemployed lawyers.

It must be nice to sit back and talk smack ,with nothing to lose. Like a room full of unemployed lawyers.

Or a roomful of subject matter experts who have extended you very WISE advice and having seen you throw it back in their faces have decided to kick back and enjoy the show.

You fucking jizzmop, Death takes great pride in accurate reporting! It's been confirmed that the damage being reported was the loss of the bowsprit.

How's it react to the wind ? Did your anchors drag or hold ? Anything chafe through ?...

Tiny ship tossed?

a salad

Don't ever be afraid to mix in a salad....

You fucking jizzmop, Death takes great pride in accurate reporting! It's been confirmed that the damage being reported was the loss of the bowsprit.

I'm not buying it, pictures ? Who confirmed it ? Where was it reported ? Any sources to verify this information ? who's bowsprit ? FH even have a bowsprit ? Not that I can see. Or is that 2x4 bolted through the deck as some kinda temporary fix to the lifting gear falling off what you guys are calling a bowsprit ?

Given Rods inclinations to half truths and outright fabrications I'm not buying any newb who comes in and starts making unsubstantiated claims.

Dragging anchor I can believe, but you'd said FH had suffered structural damage. Now you claim a bowsprit was lost. FH doesn't have a bowsprit. Rod claims he missed the trimaran. Someone is lying and given past experiences, sounds like both. Which might just be one in the same anyway.

Botom line ,no one likes critics,nasayers,doomsdayers.or puppy , ducky and kitten hatters.

I built it ,I'm gonna try it. Like a test drive.

Safer than the army or fight school or emergency services done those...

If it works cool ..if not i can sell it as a house boat and fly to moui and build a better one.

Lawyers are NEVER unemployed.... They are doing research....

BTW, the copyright on your site says 2011.. you may wish to update that...

Rod, anyone ever mention the term pathological liar to you before ? Its hard not to notice a lot of wild claims going by the wayside. The efforts to obscure the truth, pictures of boats that aren't yours on your web site. The list is endless. Meteorologist ? Carpenter ?

Its kinda like building a boat and convincing yourself its seaworthy, your not really fooling anyone but yourself.

We stand to loose a life Rod, several actually, yours, your families, and whoever risks theirs going out to try and rescue you. You just can't see that can you Rod. You've made a lot of false claims Rod. Pictures of other peoples boats on your web site for instance. Meteorologist ? Carpenter ? How did you end up with the harbor masters finger in your mouth anyway ? You don't need to answer to us Rod, just yourself. Are you being honest with yourself ? Go look at that 2x4 thats cut off about 6' short in the starboard bow. Who cut that short and why ? Did you make an error ? Its OK to admit you screwed up a cut Rod, its OK to admit it when you make a mistake. It only becomes harder when you let mistake after mistake stack up on one another till finally its all one big mistake, which is always much harder to face, than the smaller individual mistakes.

You really should reevaluate this whole thing Rod and seriously consider grounding it in shallow water as far into the Delta as you can get. Don't bother with the sails, save your money for court.

Oh hey, speaking of unemployed lawyers, what did they charge you with that you have to reappear ? If I knew any unemployed lawyers I'd try and send them your way, assuming you have a defensible case.

Botom line ,no one likes critics,nasayers,doomsdayers.or puppy , ducky and kitten hatters.

If it works cool ..if not i can sell it as a house boat and fly to moui and build a better one.

When you say 'done those' do you mean bitten parts off them, or they are more to add on your aready impressive list (!!) of professions?

HR, you say that this is inspired by Artur Piver designs. He designed trimarans.. and ... another little item..... Arthur Piver disappeared (presumed dead) after taking out one of his trimarans from SFO for a quick 500 mile qualifier run.....

not a good omen.....

To qualify for the OSTAR, he still had to complete a 500-mile solo voyage, which he elected to do from San Francisco rather than in the spring in England. He borrowed a 25' tri from one of his homebuilders, set out, and was never seen again.

Gads a glimmer of hope.

Rod, if you were about to step off a cliff, would you call the guy who shouts a warning, a naysayer ?

The grim reality is it doesn't work Rod, it won't even hold an anchor set. Doesn't appear to be structurally sound enough to carry or set enough ground tackle. What happened to the 500 lbs of tackle you claimed, on your face book you said 150 lbs and a 40 pounder down with some light chain. You've got to face it eventually Rod. Sails, what happened when you set sail Rod, sails are ( supposedly ) in having someone else repair them, aren't they ? Who are you kidding other than yourself Rod.

Take the boat to shallow safe water deep in the Delta and make your plane reservations. You could have been in Hawaii long ago, and saved yourself all the trouble.

Gads a glimmer of hope.

Rod, if you were about to step off a cliff, would you call the guy who shouts a warning, a naysayer ?

The grim reality is it doesn't work Rod, it won't even hold an anchor set. Doesn't appear to be structurally sound enough to carry or set enough ground tackle. What happened to the 500 lbs of tackle you claimed, on your face book you said 150 lbs and a 40 pounder down with some light chain. You've got to face it eventually Rod. Sails, what happened when you set sail Rod, sails are ( supposedly ) in having someone else repair them, aren't they ? Who are you kidding other than yourself Rod.

Take the boat to shallow safe water deep in the Delta and make your plane reservations. You could have been in Hawaii long ago, and saved yourself all the trouble.

Probably 500 lbs total weight of chain, "anker" etc.

BTW, it's really starting to blow up here in the PNW.

The eastern Pacific satellite shows quite a bit of energy headed this way over the weekend.

I'd not be surprised to see it slide down the coast and give the FH some entertainment as well.

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/SatelliteLoop/hipacsat_None_anim.gif

HR's on a mooring ball now? Did someone give him a snubbery?

Sounds like he just helped him self.

So let me get this strait a week ago I told him to get out of the mud flats because no one can get to him and do a tow when he starts to drag.. He stayed in the mud flats and the little low pressure system that blew through caused him all sorts of drama resulting in calls to the CG for a tow etc and no one was willing to run mud through their intakes to tow the FH?

HR - you need to start paying more attention to people who clearly know more than you do about this stuff or the FH is going to end up on a Marin shore and be hauled off in dump trucks in just a week or two if we actually get a decent low passing by. This coming Monday we have another one not looking very strong but it can still stir up a south wind for a couple of hours. And it sounds like your even farther up the creek than you were just a couple of days ago. Some times even canoe terminology applies to big boats "Up the Creek with out a Paddle" applies to the FH here also.

As for anchors folks when you put anchors in silt ie mud flats in some cases you could put down every anchor type object you might have with you and still have no solid ground to grab. FH is no lightweight nor a sleek low drag machine with all those wires and masts and stuff HR stood up on the roof. He might actually find better holding in deeper water farther from the mud flats but then he needs to stay awake all night for fear of the FH going to the bottom unannounced.

...not to mention BITTEN FINGERS!! <_<

Safer than emergency services done those...

As anything other than a customer?

...holding tank for sanitation...

As far as the CG is concerned, holding takes are only required if the boat has a head. Some specific locations have additional restrictions that would prevent a "direct deposit" waste system, but I haven't heard of the CG enforcing those regulations.

Well, I'm not a lawyer and I have very rarely been unemployed... but yes, it is kinda nice to sit back and talk smack.

Much nicer and more fun to do this than try to live on a shedamaran on a mud flat with inadequate ground tackle and possible "structural damage." But then, who made the call on that one, eh?

FB- Doug

That is certainly a paraphrase, but I have heard the Coasties say something to that effect many times. Someone calls for help from the CG. They ask if vessel needs rescue (which may be with a heliocopter). Vessel says "no." They say "Do your best and call us back if you need rescue, otherwise call vessel assist for nonemergency assistance."

As far as the CG is concerned, holding takes are only required if the boat has a head. Some specific locations have additional restrictions that would prevent a "direct deposit" waste system, but I haven't heard of the CG enforcing those regulations.

I happen to know someone who was hit with a large fine for this. He had a through valve that was leaking and the Dye tab the marina put in his holding tank gave him away. CG came and wrote up a ticket

spaceout.gif

Kitten hatter....

I've heard of coonskin hats bit this is just silly.

You mean like this?

kitten_in_a_tophat_by_peaches87564.jpg

or like this?

4711996.jpg

In either case, more drywall screws would an improvement

FB- Doug

>It must be nice to sit back and talk smack ,with nothing to lose. Like a room full of unemployed lawyers.

We stand to loose a life Rod, several actually, yours, your families, and whoever risks theirs going out to try and rescue you. You just can't see that can you Rod. You've made a lot of false claims Rod. Pictures of other peoples boats on your web site for instance. Meteorologist ? Carpenter ? How did you end up with the harbor masters finger in your mouth anyway ? You don't need to answer to us Rod, just yourself. Are you being honest with yourself ? Go look at that 2x4 thats cut off about 6' short in the starboard bow. Who cut that short and why ? Did you make an error ? Its OK to admit you screwed up a cut Rod, its OK to admit it when you make a mistake. It only becomes harder when you let mistake after mistake stack up on one another till finally its all one big mistake, which is always much harder to face, than the smaller individual mistakes.

You really should reevaluate this whole thing Rod and seriously consider grounding it in shallow water as far into the Delta as you can get. Don't bother with the sails, save your money for court.

Oh hey, speaking of unemployed lawyers, what did they charge you with that you have to reappear ? If I knew any unemployed lawyers I'd try and send them your way, assuming you have a defensible case.

I know you think of yourself as being helpful and noble here, but if you actually cared for the safety of anyone you wouldn't just fill your posts with insults and attempts to humiliate the person you are trying to "help."

If you just want to poke a bit of fun at HR, that is fine with me, but it would be a lot funnier if you dropped the self-righteous tone. If you want to actually help him, then perhaps try to be a bit more persuasive rather than just posting a repetitive series of mean-spirited attacks. You've call him a liar and and idiot 100 different ways. Do you think your opinion will suddenly be more credible to him if you repeat it 100 more times?

the guys that do pump outs comes buy

This seems to imply that the pump out boat regularly comes around, which would kind of imply that the Scatamaran actually has holding tanks.

I happen to know someone who was hit with a large fine for this. He had a through valve that was leaking and the Dye tab the marina put in his holding tank gave him away. CG came and wrote up a ticket

The CG vigorously enforces the federal discharge rules, but those rules only apply to vessels that have a head or through-hull discharge. Federal regulations generally allow you to eliminate off the side of the boat or in a bucket when there is no head. I suspect that the FH has no head and meets the sanitation requirements in the same way a canoe or rowboat would.

This seems to imply that the pump out boat regularly comes around, which would kind of imply that the Scatamaran actually has holding tanks.

Not necessarily. I posted a news article several pages back about the anchor outs on Richardson Bay. The article explained that RB is essentially a floating slum. The people there are in need of many public services, from the standard stuff like food stamps on to specialized assistance like sanitation. Someone created a program to supply them with holding tanks and pump out service, all on the taxpayers dime. The article said only 15% of the boats took advantage.

Anyhow, this explains the pump out boat in the area. So FH may or may not have the tank(s).

I'm going to shut down the web site. U guys have more fun with out it.

Aw man, I never even got to see it! I think DNS was still propagating here or something, it only showed some kind of hosting company's default page, it looked like.

Oh well. Get down to L.A. already, I'll give you a lift to Minney's as I've been meaning to get down there for awhile myself.

Right you are. I can verify 100% that kittens hate hats.

Yeah, well, here's the thing. Long before you joined our little funfest, about 50 pages ago, we checked your claim about being a pilot. The only James Lane the FAA has a record of is an ATP with certs in 767, 757, 737, 747, and a bunch of other stuff you clearly are not flying. So you are not an active pilot and there is no record of you actual being certified. If you're claiming that you went to flight school, the only conclusion we can make is that you washed out or quit, which is no big deal, it happens to a lot of people. Either way you can't wear it as a badge of honor.

Now tell us about your "emergency services" experience. This is new.

Yeah, well, here's the thing. Long before you joined our little funfest, about 50 pages ago, we checked your claim about being a pilot. The only James Lane the FAA has a record of is an ATP with certs in 767, 757, 737, 747, and a bunch of other stuff you clearly are not flying. So you are not an active pilot and there is no record of you actual being certified. If you're claiming that you went to flight school, the only conclusion we can make is that you washed out or quit, which is no big deal, it happens to a lot of people. Either way you can't wear it as a badge of honor.

Redcross desk in the 1997 new years floods in Northern CA. Emergency Services experience?

Id like to do a lot of things.if i had a way to make things happen.

See HR, again, here in lies the problem.

In general, people who retire and look forward to a few or many fun years ahead of them cruising the oceans and seeing the world, Don't start out by saying 'if i had a way to make things happen'.

That shit is usually planned out well in advance of even looking at a boat! I won't start in on all the things on your list of fuckedupness, but leave it to say you did it Backwards!

Now go start undoing it.

Id like to do a lot of things.if i had a way to make things happen.

Did the truck delivering the outboards ever get repaired? Broken axle wasn't it? Should be good to go by now. Oh wait that wasnt bullshit too was it?

Redcross desk in the 1997 new years floods in Northern CA. Emergency Services experience?

Duuuude, it says F I G H T school. It's where you learn to bite fingers.

if not i can sell it as a house boat and fly to moui and build a better one.

Two immediate thoughts.

I cannot wait for the Yachtworld ad. It can't be anything but spectacular.

It would be a bigger challenge to attempt to build a worse one.

ooooh, third thought - where you gettin' the cash to fund boat build #2? You do know stuff is way more expensive on the islands, right?

Oh I LOVE IT! Click on the pictures and it plays Styx "Come Sail Away"!

Can we perhaps suggest an alternative theme song?

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/styx/come+sail+away_20132868.html

Rod, the photo album need a little work. I can scroll all the way to the right, but there is no way to scroll back to the left.

Can you edit HTML from a nav aid?

there's No turning back

I thought of buzzing by while I was in the area

that's why I didn't ;)

FH was (Not Even) the last thing I wanted in my memories of the AC-34

It implies no such thing.

As long as you're quoting unconfirmed sources, how about the part where the FH was 700 yards from where it was anchored before it started dragging?

Not all services operate the same, but in my area you need to contact the holding-tank pump-out boat to come to your boat; they don't make rounds.

In typical James "Hot Rod" Lane style, we only got a tiny fraction of the whole story, filtered by an active imagination. If you haven't figured out his style yet, here's the quick outline:

• Hints at [anything] with gaping holes in the narrative.
  • Trolls his followers to fill in those holes with conjecture.
  • Can now call out the stupits for not guessing correctly.
That is not how healthy minds operate.

I suspect that the FH has no head and meets the sanitation requirements in the same way a canoe or rowboat would.

I "suspect" you are just making up random stuff for your own amusement.

I suspect that the FH has no head and meets the sanitation requirements in the same way a canoe or rowboat would.

I suspect you are just making up random stuff for your own amusement.

Well, it isn't totally manufactured, but since I don't have first hand data, I clearly stated that it was speculation. Earlier in this thread someone stated that the FH has no through-hulls. If that is true, the FH does not have to have a holding tank to meet sanitation requirements.

Or were you suggesting my comments about the regulations were made up?

At any rate, I am in no position to disagree that I am posting for my own amusement. Why are you posting?

Not all services operate the same, but in my area you need to contact the holding-tank pump-out boat to come to your boat; they don't make rounds.

In typical James "Hot Rod" Lane style, we only got a tiny fraction of the whole story, filtered by an active imagination. If you haven't figured out his style yet, here's the quick outline:

• Hints at [anything] with gaping holes in the narrative.
  • Trolls his followers to fill in those holes with conjecture.
  • Can now call out the stupits for not guessing correctly.
That is not how healthy minds operate.

I am fairly sure that the pump-out boat makes rounds in RB, at least that was true as of a couple of years ago. It isn't clear to me that they even charge for the service. The locals are trying hard to encourage the use of holding tanks by making it easier.

Seems like your description of HR fits about half the people posting on SA. If it weren't for a desire to "call out the stupits" no one would have even started this thread, much less worked it up to 8400 frothy posts. Seems only fair that HR return the favor.

>It must be nice to sit back and talk smack ,with nothing to lose. Like a room ful

l of unemployed lawyers.

I know you think of yourself as being helpful and noble here, but if you actually cared for the safety of anyone you wouldn't just fill your posts with insults and attempts to humiliate the person you are trying to "help."

If you just want to poke a bit of fun at HR, that is fine with me, but it would be a lot funnier if you dropped the self-righteous tone. If you want to actually help him, then perhaps try to be a bit more persuasive rather than just posting a repetitive series of mean-spirited attacks. You've call him a liar and and idiot 100 different ways. Do you think your opinion will suddenly be more credible to him if you repeat it 100 more times?

Actually I'm done poking fun at him and kinda wish I hadn't, that finger biting incident reveals a lot and I think its time we all make a better effort to get Rod to face himself, before he takes his family out to their watery graves.

One important step might be to get him to face the lesser mistakes he's made rather than just dog on him about the boat in general. Which is why I keep asking him about various individual aspects of it, and also why I remind him of all the false statements. Truth hurts sometimes, I'm just trying to be as truthful as possible.

Your right I think he's lying about a lot of things, but I also think he's just lying to himself mostly, cause your not going to be able to BS this particular outfit of experienced sailors and builders for long, if at all.

Sometimes the truth is a bit harsher than we'd like it to be. Being politically correct ( something I'm not likely to be accused of anytime soon ) obviously hasn't gotten through to Rod. Maybe rational, reasonable, and direct might work. I don't know, but I think its worth a try.

Rod if your listening, why all the deceptions ? Why post pictures of someone elses boat on your site rather than your own ? Why tell people you are a pilot ? meteorologist ? Carpenter ?

Snap out of it Rod, before you get someone drowned

i don't think we really have to worry about drowning much. the FH can't get out of her own way, basically can just drift downwind. Getting out the gate unless on a breeze free day on an ebb is impossible. This will just become a couple guys chasing bigger and bigger challenges until it finally wears them down.

HotRod - there's nothing wrong with a houseboat. Slap a couple outboards on the back with outboard steering, lose the rig, and head to the delta.

Folks the first step to getting things back on track for people who have "issues" is admitting they have a problem. That is not happening with SA pretty sure there have been a life time of people who have passed through HR's life that have been far far closer to HR than SA who have tried this.

The only thing if indeed HR is reading this thread that SA peeps can do is give him a heads up on where the next disaster will come from with the hope that HR might take some sort of steps to reduce the results of the disaster or avoid it in some manner. Step one get out of the mud flats! Step TWO get the FH into a protected Delta parking spot ASAP.

We all know there is no WAY the FH will make it to Socal in one piece especially between now and June so being parked in RB gets the FH no place and only continues to pose a major South Wind threat to the FH.

The reality of it today is that the FH either heads to a protected spot in the delta or up the Petaluma or Napa Rivers and hunkers down for the winter while HR works on it and maybe just maybe spends some time sailing on a proper boat even doing some fun SF BAY storm sailing say from Redwood City to Richmond when a storm blows through! Some us including my self have intentionally sailed from RWC to Richmond when a storm blew in. For a few reasons knock some rust off the old boat handling skills, have some wicked wet and clean fun and brush up on how the boat handles in those type of conditions. We did this with our PAC Cup team as part of the boat handling and skills building training we were doing before we did the PAC CUP. HR the PAC CUP is racing to Oahu where yes we could see Diamond head. BTW when we sailed around the corner to haul the boat out for the ship ride home the conditions off Diamond head were in the mid 20's - big reach and big waves. We were all wearing shorts and T-shirts fantastic day! Great day to be out on the water. The flat calm post card picts you see are rare. The big waves and wind not so much.

I have a feeling that HR would find this idea nutty even for his spin on things and even on the SF BAY HR might gain a little more respect for wind and waves even if they are just SF Bay chop whipped up by a good front blowing through. LOL Besides HR seems like the type who really doesn't get it till he does it him self which case pretty sure one trip from RWC to Richmond during a decent cold front blowing through would probably have a profound impact on HR's take on the FH and his ideas of where he wants to go.

And HR if your reading this the South bay through to Richmond during a decent front is about a 4 on the Oh shit dial if you consider what sort of conditions we see outside the GG even when there is no winter front blowing through and call it taking the Oh shit dial to 11...

sooner or later, someone will chime in with:

that better not be my mooring that you are squatting on there HR. It doesnt have adequate ground tackle for a raft your size, you arent there by consent and if you damage it, or drag it off location you will get the bill to have it fixed. It cost me a lot to put it down, and its a private one. when i return with my boat and find it gone, you will also get to pay for my expenses and time in having to find an alternative temporary mooring. About $20k is a reasonable estimate of what you will be up for. Nobody likes a squatter HR, especially a finger chomper. .

Rod believes in freedom, just not yours

In SF Bay, over a certain size boat (22 feet maybe?) you must have a contained human waste system. If you have a marine head, it must be sealed off, its use is forbidden. Anyway, he has a holding tank:

post-63290-0-01410400-1380327145_thumb.jpg

That is certainly a paraphrase, but I have heard the Coasties say something to that effect many times. Someone calls for help from the CG. They ask if vessel needs rescue (which may be with a heliocopter). Vessel says "no." They say "Do your best and call us back if you need rescue, otherwise call vessel assist for nonemergency assistance."

Right-- the USCG mission is to save lives, not property. There are exceptions --HR was one already at East Marin Island.

SA has taken to posting kitten pictures?

There goes the neighborhood.

It's what you get when you do a Google Image Search for "PUSSY"

in Safe Mode ;)

In SF Bay, over a certain size boat (22 feet maybe?) you must have a contained human waste system. If you have a marine head, it must be sealed off, its use is forbidden. Anyway, he has a holding tank:

You have to have one but its use is forbidden? Did I read that right? I have to admit that it does sound like a Cali government reg. flustercluck.

sea head flushed directly to the ocean if I recall. Way different than one with a holding tank.

Best of luck moving the boat out of RB and up into the Delta.

Cheers
B

Godammit! Is it more of you than HR'FH that's having trouble with your spelling and reading comprehension?

The formula is NOT "Fuck off, newbie, and show us some KIT's"!!!

Stupid fucking kittens! Always ruin everything. Kittens are the worst!

200 gallon tank pumped recently

Hmmm, nice. A CDX holding tank. Probably leaks.

Rod I have been putting shit on you since page one and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Every now and again you post something

Humble and honest. It is a bit like looking for gold amoungst the coal though. When you do this I think to myself that you maybe arnt such a bad bloke after all and you do have an admirable sense of family. But then you fuck it all up by posting some bullshit that is supposed to intimidate us like your 'fight school' shit. However I will cut you some slack as I believe you are probably bipolar.

What you and your son have accomplished is amazing in fact. With fuck all money you have built and launched that great big thing. Yep it is a boat of sorts but by now you must surely realise that it isn't going to get you to Hawaii or anywhere else outside of the bay. You might also be starting to realise that you know fuck all about seamanship and ways of the sea. I mean you have only been in the water a few months and you have already racked up more groundings and coast gaurd calls than most people do in a life time of boating. And you havnt even gone anywhere yet. Who knows one day you may well forfill your dream and sail to the Islands but it ain't going to be aboard that thing. I truly hope you and your son do. But in the meantime it is time for plan 'B'. Here is an idea. Why not get the 'boat' up to this delta place , securely moor it and finish it off enough to take guests aboard. Turn it into some kind of floating Bed and breakfast. A kind of floating fishing lodge maybe. Once it is a viable operating business , sell it and use the money to buy a production cat of some kind that is capable of crossing an ocean. Obviously with the numerous qualification you hold you understand the need for training in any activity that is new to you. Sailing and seamanship are no different. I own a sailing school and would be more than happy to offer you some training for free - you have given me and others plenty of entertainment. Sadly I live in Australia, but I am sure that many of the SF based anarchists would be happy to take you out on their boats and teach you some stuff. Naturally we would need a full report on the days here in this thread. So what do you recon team? Lets turn rod into a project!

Sadly I live in Australia, but I am sure that many of the SF based anarchists would be happy to take you out on their boats and teach you some stuff. Naturally we would need a full report on the days here in this thread. So what do you recon team? Lets turn rod into a project!

People on SF Bay would probably need some assurances that Rod won't bite them.

In SF Bay, over a certain size boat (22 feet maybe?) you must have a contained human waste system. If you have a marine head, it must be sealed off, its use is forbidden.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Please educate yourself and stop blathering ignorant bullshit.

No recreational vessel of any length is required to have a marine sanitation device, or MSD, unless that vessel has a marine toilet, or head. In the event the vessel has is equipped with a marine toilet, that toilet must be plumbed to a marine sanitation device, as per the following:

Type I MSD

Flow-through treatment devices that commonly use maceration and disinfection for the treatment of sewage May be installed only on vessels less than or equal to 65 feet in length

Must produce an effluent with:

• No visible floating solids
  • A fecal coliform bacterial count not greater than 1000 per 100 milliliters

Type II MSD

Flow-through treatment devices that may employ biological treatment and disinfection (some Type II MSDs may use maceration and disinfection) May be installed on vessels of any length

Must produce an effluent with:

• A fecal coliform bacterial count not greater than 200 per 100 milliliters
  • No more than 150 milligrams of total suspended solids per liter

Type III MSD

Typically a holding tank where sewage is stored until it can be disposed of shore-side or at sea (beyond three miles from shore) May be installed on vessels of any length No performance standard, but pursuant to Coast Guard regulations, a Type III MSD must "be designed to prevent the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage". 33 CFR 159.53©.

http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/vwd/vsdmsd.cfm

Within the territorial limit, it is illegal to discharge untreated waste. This is why each marine toilet is required to be fitted with a Y-valve to direct waste either into the MSD or overboard. The Y-valve must be secured in the MSD position while the vessel is within the territorial limits. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE HEAD CANNOT BE USED.

Further, no discharges of any kind are allowed within a No Discharge Zone. There is at least one NDZ in San Francisco Bay and it just so happens that Flyin' Hawaiian is anchored in it (Richardson Bay.)