U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

So your just going to give up ? There's kids in Viet Nam that use hack saw blades to cut up tanks for scrap, surely you've got a saws all you can use to create manageable pieces, and it looks like you've got more than 60 in scrap aluminum on that thing. What about the harleysaki ? you could pawn that pretty quick. You have options Rod, its just Hawaii isn't one of them.

Start scrapping out the rig and see what you get for it. Pawn the bike for the rest, rather than max value so you can get it back while making easy payments.

Don't be so tunnel visioned and make a change for the better. If all else fails its a nice sized houseboat and if you put it in the right spot you might just end up paying zilch. Go make it happen. Just cause its not what you'd originally planned doesn't mean it can't be something adventurous and fun.

In a week or so, when the FH doesn't sell, what exactly are you going to do? Are you going to abandon it in Richardson Bay where it sits?

I've been in the same situation.

One of my first builds ended up being underfunded and I carried it along for several months, paying rent for the building space before I saw the truth that I didn't have the means to finish the project. It was a good design by a good naval architect and I had prior experience and the work done so far was good and sound. But I figured out I had bitten off more than I could chew and when I sold the project I felt a mix of relief and sadness. I still think of that project and what it meant to me and how it was part of a dream that never got fulfilled.

But there are other opportunities and some day I may still do part of that dream.

In the mean time there have been other dreams and some came true and others didn't. That's how it works.

Best of luck, James.

I need a solution. Anyone?

Does the SA community up in SF Bay have access to a

couple of runabouts or ski boats to tow him up to the delta?

Two 20 foot ish runabouts should be able to give him a slow speed tow

up to the delta and protected waters.

It's a one day project in my opinion to get him up to better protected waters

and he can then camp on the boat up there with a much better protected

boat away from the ocean.

Sailors help sailors in distress. That's the way we do things.

What, now you want advice?

And exactly what is a "solution" supposed to solve? Only you know the full extent of the problem. For example, is the problem that you have a big plywood thing creating liability and expense, or is the problem that you're flat broke and have no place to live? Unlike others here, I believe that you don't have even a few hundred bucks, but that's just speculation.

Okay, he gets to this promised land called the delta, then what? I don't think his problem is limited to needing a place to anchor for the winter. I think he is in much deeper trouble.

Okay, he gets to this promised land called the delta, then what? I don't think his problem is limited to needing a place to anchor for the winter. I think he is in much deeper trouble.

at least up there it rots out from underneath him instead of getting the snot blown out of him.

best I got from down here.

at least up there it rots out from underneath him instead of getting the snot blown out of him.

best I got from down here.

Jerry is spot on, James has openly admitted that his dream ain't going well, A tow to this Delta place could save the dream for the meantime.

Do you still have the bike James?

James, why not trade your desal unit or radar for a tow and some cash?

The desal unit is going to foul eventually anyway and the screens are nutty expensive, and you really don't need a radar unit as much as you need a few good radar reflectors.

I've lived in cheap ass apartments, beautiful homes and a boat ... I'll take the boat any day.

After seeking attention on your misguided endeavor via the public eye (tv and the press), methinks the last place to look for support is SA. Somewhat sad.

If only you had studied "principles of yacht construction" as much as you had studied those supposed "1,000s of designs".

Sounds like the predictions of some on this thread (whether explicit or implied) are becoming reality?

To make the most of your creation may be, as many others have suggested, is to make way for the delta. You could at least have one nice winter up river. I say that, not knowing of course, what is really happening on the FH structurally.

I won't humor you, but you will not find a buyer for that thing, regardless of how much you think it is worth. Sorry.

Taxpayers, prepare to foot yet another bill, from the Raccoon.

My $0.02. Take it, or leave it (my guess is you will leave it).

Perhaps try the Cruisers Forum?

Head up the delta, and trade for some good ground tackle, and hang out, at least you have a floating home to come home too.

Good luck.

The guy is finally broken and what sounds like a serious ask for help.

Don't kick em when they are down guys, shit happens and people do some really stupid things.

Lets give this 48 hours to let a few people see it

People in SFO Bay and have friends with appropriate boats.

Hot Rod - You willing to let a couple of boats tow you up to the protected areas up in the delta?

Anyone who assists with towing the FH at this stage better be judgment proof (less than minimal assets) or have excellent insurance. The task justs invites unnecessary liability exposure. Odds are that whoever assists will be blamed for any unfortunate events during and after the tow. Or for littering. Best, in my opinion, to leave HR to fend for himself using his own resources.

Yup, the next problem might be a lack of hard points from which to tow. But assuming James is for real in his new found revelation he might just be willing to sign a waver of liability and get that tow up to shallow water.

Just have to wait and see

The master here said two weeks.

What the fuck does this mean? You have to leave but all the dozens of POS derelict anchor-outs around you can stay? How about some real fucking answers for once?

Ok, help me out here. Who is this Master person?

Assuming it's the RB Harbor Master, how is he going to kick you out if you can't move or be towed? Is he going to impound your boat and not give it back unless you pay for it? Problem solved. "Ok Master, it's all yours."

I am afraid that just getting towed up the Delta simply continues the problems that are confronting the FH right now. What about dividing the boat in two and getting a big rig to drive it to Lake Oroville or Shasta?

OK, so he signs a waiver, some guys tow him up the Delta, he still has the problem of no ground tackle. Despite the shelter afforded up there, just the sheer windage of the thing is going to require some serious tackle when it blows.

Waivers in California are just one more thing to argue about at great expense of time, emotion, and money. Essentially worthless.

Waivers in California are just one more thing to argue about at great expense of time, emotion, and money. Essentially worthless.

That, and he can't waive damage to others. He would have to indemnify people who tow him. If he breaks loose in the delta and damages something else, those who left him there could be liable to an unknown third party. Since he is in no position to indemnify anyone, I don't see this working out.

But think ahead. Let's say he makes it to the delta and finds appropriate ground tackle. Then what? He still has no resources to work on FH. Worse, how does he work? If he lives on a boat he'll need some way to get back and forth to a job somewhere. No one has seen FH Jr in a while and even if he still had it, he would need a place to tie it up each day and then ground transportation to get to a job. Oh, and he would need a job. If he finds one, he'll need to shower each day, launder clothing...

I was also wondering who it was that told him to vacate in two weeks. It seems RB has a lot of derelict squatter boats, the "anchor outs." Why must James vacate but not them?

I suppose he could find somewhere to live ashore, but then he still needs to be able to get back and forth to FH at least to periodically check on it.

Guys, face it, what James needs is a way to dispose of FH. He needs to sell or donate it, which will be difficult. If he can't find someone to take it off his hands it needs to be destroyed and carted to a dump/landfill or whatever you have out there in CA.

...resignation is not defeat unless you never act on a dream again....

That's the bottom line, James.

It makes me sad to see boating dreams unfulfilled, but it happens all the time. There are half-built, decaying hulks scattered in yards all over the world. Florida has "graveyard" marinas where dreams involving production boats go to die and the boats become chainsaw bait. Sometimes money is not even the problem. I have seen boats worth tens of thousands ignored and rotting out back of houses worth hundreds of thousands.

I think the problem is that nobody really gets to live a dream. Some people just fix their boats in more exotic locations than others.

I've seem B grade movies with better endings.

Few, if any, options it would seem.

Who would of thunk it........

HR your son and your mother have probably finally realised that you have conned them out of their money, and they have now deserted you. You probably have a bond interest to pay and pending court appearances. You probably pawned the hardleyworthitson to raise the bond. And you probably have two hull repair patches that are leaking, rudders that dont work, water coming in through the stern rudder control lines at least, no anchors left having cut them all loose, and sailmakers who wont return your sails until you pay for the conversions. In other words, you are screwed from all directions... Thats karma Rod, and you got there because you simply didnt listen to the free and sound advice from this site.

Your only practical option is to go outside the gate on an outgoing tide, put a hatchet through the bottom and step off it. Your problem is that it is not going to completely sink anytime soon and when it is washed up on a beach somewhere, you will have the cleanup bill to face because everyone now knows that the wreck is yours and you have burnt out any goodwill you might have otherwise received. It all sheets back to you HR. KARMA

It makes me sad to see boating dreams unfulfilled, but it happens all the time. There are half-built, decaying hulks scattered in yards all over the world. Florida has "graveyard" marinas where dreams involving production boats go to die and the boats become chainsaw bait. Sometimes money is not even the problem. I have seen boats worth tens of thousands ignored and rotting out back of houses worth hundreds of thousands.

I think the problem is that nobody really gets to live a dream. Some people just fix their boats in more exotic locations than others.

"Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse..."

Bruce Springsteen, The River

HR your son and your mother have probably finally realised that you have conned them out of their money, and they have now deserted you. You probably have a bond interest to pay and pending court appearances. You probably pawned the hardleyworthitson to raise the bond. And you probably have two hull repair patches that are leaking, rudders that dont work, water coming in through the stern rudder control lines at least, no anchors left having cut them all loose, and sailmakers who wont return your sails until you pay for the conversions. In other words, you are screwed from all directions... Thats karma Rod, and you got there because you simply didnt listen to the free and sound advice from this site.

Your only practical option is to go outside the gate on an outgoing tide, put a hatchet through the bottom and step off it. Your problem is that it is not going to completely sink anytime soon and when it is washed up on a beach somewhere, you will have the cleanup bill to face because everyone now knows that the wreck is yours and you have burnt out any goodwill you might have otherwise received. It all sheets back to you HR. KARMA

That's a lot of speculation and a big dose of reality, but hard to say where the line is.

If the Harlisaki is no longer aboard, how did it get off?

The issues on Richardson Bay were explained many pages ago. The same laws tht forced them off the 'beach/ at Spinnaker Point, across from Loch Lomond have now been enforced in RB. They are much more lenient there because genuine cruisers come in from far away places, but with the weather coming, FH is becoming a bigger risk to the area day by day.

He has told everyone who asks he'll be off in two weeks, even says that on his website date 2011, I think, first post, the same page where he confessed to dragging. The Master, Bill Price most likely, took him at his word, but now there is plenty of evidence that the boat isn't going anywhere.

The movie is over, built to look like a fabulous boat, to sail on calm, peaceful, flat ocean waters from one clear water cove with white sandy beaches to the next, just like TV travelogues and travel brochure promise, the reality of mother earth has, with two windstorms, become clear. No lake is as calm as a lake all year round. The sad thing is, he got as far as he did because those winds are common here all summer, except for the last two years, its almost as if mother nature was also giving him false notions. I doubt the monstrosities used in the America's Cup could have sailed in the usual summer breeze.

I wouldn't be to quick to believe much of what James is saying. As more than a few have pointed out there's some peculiarities in the mix that just don't really add up. James still isn't admitting any fault beyond running out of cash, and as Jarcher points out, there's plenty of squatting going on in the bay, so why is James saying he's only got a week to figure it out ?

Meuritt why would they single out James. Reputation ? The size of the boat ? Seems like they can't just kick him out and seize his boat, or they'd have done that right and left and taken all kinds of less than aesthetically pleasing vessels as well. I thought RB was kind of a haven for squatters like James ?

I'd be very curious to know just whats going on with the assault case he has pending and if its not the impetus behind this latest angle James has taken.

I'm also curious about why the boat that towed him into RB can't tow him out. Obviously there's someone willing to tow him, so why not get them to do it again ? He may not like the idea, but scrap value on that rig is bound to be around the price of the fuel needed. If all else fails he could sell his food stamps, live off rice for a few weeks, if he's all that inclined to salvage something of this. Scrap the rig, the rudders, the linkage and whatever other metals and there's your tow money James. You don't need that stuff anyway, just park it somewhere and start working on those leaks. Or is that CDX plywood coming back to haunt you ? The ply issue you can't really fix, but its kinda early in the game for that to be the problem. I can however, imagine he's pumping a lot of water at this point though.

I don't see him as needing much to live off of if he's squatting in shallow water somewhere. Free rent, no utilities other than the occasional can of gas for the generator, he's got the wind-vane, which I wouldn't scrap just yet if I were him. He's likely on food stamps. All he really needs is some warm cloths and a few extra bucks here and there to fiddle with the boat. Ground tackle could be a 55g drum of concrete, a come along and a small 2x4 derrick bolted to the forward deck. It won't be pretty, its not the shadow of mount whatever, but it lets him keep the boat and live there long enough to at least make up in free rent some of what he's spent on it.

assuming that is, this whole new angle isn't just another ploy to either gain donations or engage more free assistance.

He's got a week to cut down the rigging, unbolt the rudders and hike it to the recycle center so he has gas money for a tow. I can sympathize with being broke, been there myself several times, but there is always a solution, if your savvy enough to find it.

oh, and scrapping all that weight off the boat means less pressure on the hulls, which means it will leak a bit slower. Means less pumping, less fuel to run the pumps. Your not sailing anywhere in that thing James, so just bite the bullet and sacrifice something to salvage another. All is not lost unless you quit, and I'd have never taken James Lane, for a quitter. If you really do just want to abandon the boat. Then you might as well get the scrap value for whatever you can anyway. Might as well start now, rather than sit around moping.

RB isn't anarchy, there is a balance there between the anchor outs permitted and the land owners whose view is defiled but the unphotogenic floating debris that at one time was a boat. The 'Master' is the controlling legal authority walking the fine line between both interests. That said, RB has more boats anchored out than I remember, maybe its because of the Cup that rules were eased a bit for the visitors, but with the Cup over and heavy weather on the way, its time for the Master to start the clean up. Twice now that we know of FH has drug anchor, and we haven't even had a serious wind storm yet, he has to be high on the Master's radar just for that alone. Could also be that whoever owns that buoy he may be tied up to wants him off, and again that could be the Master.

The article about RB posted a few pages ago can give you some insights if you care to find it. Everyone is allowed to stay for a short time, I commonly hear two weeks, but many get to stay longer until something happens. RB would be filled if there was no one in charge, as has happened in Clipper Cove. I don't know the process for being allowed to stay, the one boat I am most familiar with is an ancient Monterey fisherman, a documented commercial vessel, it falls under Federal rules in the anchorage and pays no fee for its private mooring. It has been all but abandoned in the last few years and looks rather hopeless, yet there it sits, a perfect example of strange rules.

For about two months I dated a woman pretending to be a therapist, well she was a hypnotherapist, but she had lunch everyday with a girlfriend of hers at a week long retreat for real therapists. Over lunch she was able to learn everything from her friend, so now she is a therapist, she thinks. I note you base a lot of your concerns about HR on having a neighbor who is a therapist. I am not impressed.

I did meet HR and Dockrat, what HR says makes perfect sense to me, I've no reason to think this is another example of him jerking the collective SA chain. He has very good reason to have played with you guys, rightly or wrongly this forum has called attention to his life in ways that the newspaper and TV media couldn't. If any person of authority, harbor master for example, reads the thread, they see a picture that otherwise would have been hidden from their view. Seeing this, they want to get the problem out of their jurisdiction. But w.o SA he may have gotten under everyone's radar and gotten out the Gate. He may have been forced to launch earlier than planned and pushed out to the bay from the end tie on A Dock simply because of this thread, and w/o this thread there would probably be no bitten finger. He certainly believes all that. By no means am I holding HR faultless, he should have understood boat design yada yada, this drama couldn't have happened w/o someone of HR's character.

STOP with the talk about the Delta. There is no where to legally anchor up there. All the Bay Area boaters know that. This is California. The local landowners, the police, the sheriff, the Coast Guard, the Regional Water Control Board(s) will find you and evict you one way or another. Richardson Bay is the only place that itinerant boats are tolerated, and one day that may end too. You used to be able to hang out in Clipper Cover (Treasure Island), but they closed that down a couple years ago. There is no place to go in the Delta. Six months ago there was a little fishing marina for sale in Grizzly Island. FH would look great there, Perfect for fitting out before the big trip. Unfortunately the Acre of land and the 700 ft of docks was priced about 300-400K. Don't remember exactly, but I drove up there and looked at it,. Would have been perfect for the FH. Oh except the 20' tall bridge a 1/4 mile away. The masts would have to come down to get in there.

So, if you don't live locally, QUIT recommending the Delta. If you are a local boater and know an island where they won't evict you, post the GPS coordinates (Though I might try to get there 1st).

And some people's boats need more fixing than others

Nobody really gets to live a dream, but you can get a lot closer by having some dose of reality injected into the dream at an earlier stage, and more consistently at every stage.

I'm all in favor of helping out fellow sailors but HR is no sailor. His attitude has been "fuck all you rich pricks tryna give me advice... give me money or shut up" and "I built my dream with my son, none of you assholes ever built anything, now gimme money and shut up" and now his attitude seems to be "poor me, my dream is over (gimme money)" and in neither case did he acknowledge that he not only shot himself in the foot, he reloaded. And his attitude towards people who try to help (marina manager, Coast Guard) is a big warning.

Not a real concern for me personally, being very far away.

FB- Doug

I scrapped some clean aluminum this summer and got $0.35 per pound. Clean means no other different metal bits attached or non aluminum parts. 200 pounds of mast is 70 bucks.

HR put the damn thing on Craigslist. Setting up an account is free and takes 2 minutes. If you can't do then I'll do it for you. I still think it has value as a houseboat.

I scrapped some clean aluminum this summer and got $0.35 per pound. Clean means no other different metal bits attached or non aluminum parts. 200 pounds of mast is 70 bucks.

HR put the damn thing on Craigslist. Setting up an account is free and takes 2 minutes. If you can't do then I'll do it for you. I still think it has value as a houseboat.

There is no place to legally park a house boat in California. Not that is affordable. Maybe Washington or Oregon, but heading north against the current and wind of the Eastern Pacific in October/November ?? Right. See post 8700 re "the Delta", you can't go up there.

In an earlier post I recommended La Paz, BCS. You can anchor for free in that bay. 1500 miles south. Mexico isn't free, visa's aren't free, you can't "legally" work in Mexico, but it might be the best option if there's a way to hoist the sails and catch a weather window south.

Here's what happened to the last affordable houseboat harbor in SF bay this past year.

http://www.petesharbor.com/

There were some nice homes and some nice junkers on the docks there. They all had to move somewhere or get scrapped.

also:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Petes-Harbor-Redwood-City/272717189513511

Both sites used to have very active blogs, but have now died now that hundreds of boats were evicted.

I did meet HR and Dockrat, what HR says makes perfect sense to me, I've no reason to think this is another example of him jerking the collective SA chain. He has very good reason to have played with you guys, rightly or wrongly this forum has called attention to his life in ways that the newspaper and TV media couldn't. If any person of authority, harbor master for example, reads the thread, they see a picture that otherwise would have been hidden from their view. Seeing this, they want to get the problem out of their jurisdiction. But w.o SA he may have gotten under everyone's radar and gotten out the Gate. He may have been forced to launch earlier than planned and pushed out to the bay from the end tie on A Dock simply because of this thread, and w/o this thread there would probably be no bitten finger. He certainly believes all that. By no means am I holding HR faultless, he should have understood boat design yada yada, this drama couldn't have happened w/o someone of HR's character.

Not sure who has "played" who. I have not understood why he has spent time participated in this thread, considering he has a boat to finish. Nevermind that it might take more work for him (more than some of us) to read this. I presume he has been on the FH all this time. Does he have a smartphone? laptop? dunno. My bet is accessing this forum in such a situation requires a little bit of time. Many of us work for a living in front of a computer screen, so this thread is always a click away.

On attention called: I think it was the MarinIJ and a local tv news report that really helped call attention. I would consider that HRs doing, not SA.

But yes, this all MUST be SA's fault.

There is your scapegoat HR! Meuritt has spelled out the perfect plan out of this!

Now, if you can just get an SA'er here to call you a "grifter", you may very well seal the plan's success

. :lol:

As for the Delta...

Seems there is always a few boats anchored out behind Decker Island.

The Coronado Island ferry was anchored just around the corner from there next to Sherman Island for years until it sank. Now there are a couple of barges tied up in that section between Sherman and Decker Islands.

Not much current there, this is in the old Sac River and most of the current flows in the shipping channel.

I imagine there are plenty of placed to blend into the scenery up past Isleton.

-jd

On attention called: I think it was the MarinIJ and a local tv news report that really helped call attention. I would consider that HRs doing, not SA.

There is your scapegoat HR! Meuritt has spelled out the perfect plan out of this!

all I did was tell you what HR related to me. The IJ and other media didn't go into construction detail, this list did. Can you tell the difference between exterior shots and a happy boat builder and interior shots and all the critique offered here? When did the media go into pages of debate about rutters?

Here's what happened to the last affordable houseboat harbor in SF bay this past year.

There were some nice homes and some nice junkers on the docks there. They all had to move somewhere or get scrapped.

So what's the story? Why the evictions?

PS So let's not call it a houseboat.

STOP with the talk about the Delta. There is no where to legally anchor up there. All the Bay Area boaters know that. This is California. The local landowners, the police, the sheriff, the Coast Guard, the Regional Water Control Board(s) will find you and evict you one way or another. Richardson Bay is the only place that itinerant boats are tolerated, and one day that may end too.

If you lived here, maybe you'd understand how ridiculous you sound. There have been people living unmolested on anchor-outs all over the Bay and Delta for decades.

So what's the story? Why the evictions?

Property sold, development coming.

STOP with the talk about the Delta. There is no where to legally anchor up there. All the Bay Area boaters know that. This is California. The local landowners, the police, the sheriff, the Coast Guard, the Regional Water Control Board(s) will find you and evict you one way or another. Richardson Bay is the only place that itinerant boats are tolerated, and one day that may end too.

If you lived here, maybe you'd understand how ridiculous you sound. There have been people living unmolested on anchor-outs all over the Bay and Delta for decades.

lived 25 years in Contra Costa, lived in Berkeley, San Jose, Livermore, Alameda. Shopping earlier this year for land in Vallejo, Suisun ?? Delta?? I gotta get back to the bay (but not south bay). Currently residing in Colorado. I'm trying to remember If you cleaned my LaFitte when it was at Marina Village? I think so.

all I did was tell you what HR related to me. The IJ and other media didn't go into construction detail, this list did. Can you tell the difference between exterior shots and a happy boat builder and interior shots and all the critique offered here? When did the media go into pages of debate about rutters?

I hardly think the debate here about the rutters called all the said "attention" to HR.

SA is just another internet forum with a bunch of boat enthusiasts/nut jobs that debate/discuss all sorts of nautical minutiae ad nauseum. I dont see any mention of this thread elsewhere on the web. It certainly was not "advertised". Unless you just happened to google "hot rod catamaran" or happened to see the other thread on the wooden boat forum, you never would have known about it.

But I guess you are right, we are all cyberbullies here and it is all our fault that HR has not realized his dream.

Not sure where you might have misread me Meuritt, yup the neighbors the shrink and yup I picked up some of the lingo, doesn't mean I'm claiming to be a shrink, just that its easier to pick up on the more glaring issues someone might present. While I tried to get a real shrink to read all this, no way was that going to happen. Pedestrian, I think was the term she used for the attitude seen here, common to just about all her patients, boring to a professional, if not to us.

I could see my interest in the psychology behind this mess didn't interest all who were reading along, might even have pissed some off that I'd try and decipher just how James thinking works, but at no point have I ever claimed to be a psychologist.

What matters at this point is if James will simply abandon it and leave it for the tax payers to deal with. Or if he's going to try and deal with it in a more reasonable manor. I'd be inclined to suggest he scrap it out for what he can get and go from there. Although my suggestion of heading upstream apparently might not be an option. Nowhere to park ;-)

I'm not close enough to the situation to know exactly what his options are, but if he's out of interest and money, I'd like to see him do the respectable thing and salvage what he can, and not depend on the taxpayers to clean up his left overs.

But no matter how you slice it Meuritt, I've never claimed to be a shrink, I just find that field of study really interesting.

Cheers and best of luck James, I for one, am very glad no one was hurt.

I'm trying to remember If you cleaned my LaFitte when it was at Marina Village? I think so.

It was I. 12/29/2004. LaFitte 45 "Tenacious", Marina Village slip #R-45. :P

Speaking of Marina Village, there are easily a dozen anchor-outs currently on the Estuary, and have been for years. Some directly across the water from your old marina. The most hassle any of them have ever had was when Michelle Obama came to christen a new Coast Guard cutter a few years ago and the 6 or 8 anchor-outs that were within a stones throw of Coast Guard Island were politely asked to move further down the Estuary, where they remain to this day, again, unmolested.

I hardly think the debate here about the rutters called all the said "attention" to HR.

SA is just another internet forum with a bunch of boat enthusiasts/nut jobs that debate/discuss all sorts of nautical minutiae ad nauseum. I dont see any mention of this thread elsewhere on the web. It certainly was not "advertised". Unless you just happened to google "hot rod catamaran" or happened to see the other thread on the wooden boat forum, you never would have known about it.

But I guess you are right, we are all cyberbullies here and it is all our fault that HR has not realized his dream.

If you Google Flyin' Hawaiin Catamaran then you get 7700 hits and this thread is on the first page at #3.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flyin+hawaiian&rlz=1C1GGGE___US550US550&oq=Flyin+Hawaiin&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9077j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espvd=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&q=flyin'+hawaiian+catamaran&start=0

I'm trying to remember If you cleaned my LaFitte when it was at Marina Village? I think so.

Entirely possible. Speaking of Marina Village, there are easily a dozen anchor-outs currently on the Estuary, and have been for years. Some directly across the water from your old marina. The most hassle any of them have ever had was when Michelle Obama came to christen a new Coast Guard cutter a few years ago and the 6 or 8 anchor-outs that were within a stones throw of Coast Guard Island were politely asked to move further down the Estuary, where they remain to this day, again, unmolested.

Windsurfer has some additional feedback above disagreeing with my opinion also. I just don't think it's easy to make it happen, otherwise there would be a lot more of us doing it. The boats in the Oakland estuary certainly had a hard time hanging in recently though. They had a blog going here on SA or somewhere and it wasn't a sure thing they were going to survive "unmolested". You've seen how San Diego has changed. No anchor-outs. There are some derelicts in the permitted anchorages, but it's tough to find a place to stay there. With the harbor patrol, coast guard, the black NSA boats flying around it's difficult to be a non-conformist and find a new spot. Maybe I'm projecting that onto SFBay more than is true. I do still believe that the SA posters from the midwest, east coast or Europe should temper their enthusiasm for "move to the Delta". I think it is a difficult proposition. You obviously get around a lot, send HR some options (coordinates) for a better location. The SA community would be very supportive if you helped keep FH afloat and the forum going !! Also, heading up the Delta is not a zero wind condition, we know what the trees look like up there. All the wind through the gate all summer long goes somewhere - like directly through the Delta or over Altamont.

Thats karma Rod, and you got there because you simply didnt listen to the free and sound advice from this site.

Your only practical option is to go outside the gate on an outgoing tide, put a hatchet through the bottom and step off it.

Scuttling outside the gate with a hatchet is "sound advice"? And SA is a bunch of expert supporters who could have saved this project if HR had only listened?

Careful there, turkey, preaching karma that way might bite you in the ass.

karma-quotes-5.jpg?w=500

"If you're really a mean person you're going to come back as a fly and eat poop."

― Kurt Cobain

If you Google Flyin' Hawaiin Catamaran then you get 7700 hits and this thread is on the first page at #3.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flyin+hawaiian&rlz=1C1GGGE___US550US550&oq=Flyin+Hawaiin&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9077j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espvd=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&q=flyin'+hawaiian+catamaran&start=0

Right. And after the first page, the hits have nothing to do with HR or the FH. So there is ONE page of links related (many from MarinIJ). The FH has not exactly gone "viral".

No one has been paying any attention 'cept some SAers and perhaps some wooden boat fellows. I hardly call that "attention".

I just clicked on my Google link and it came up as Flyin only. But if you Google Flyin' Hawaiin Catamaran then you will come up with more relevant pages. It seems like all the forums have something to say. And it has been in the broadcast and print news.

It was I. 12/29/2004. LaFitte 45 "Tenacious", Marina Village slip #R-45. :P

Speaking of Marina Village, there are easily a dozen anchor-outs currently on the Estuary, and have been for years. Some directly across the water from your old marina. The most hassle any of them have ever had was when Michelle Obama came to christen a new Coast Guard cutter a few years ago and the 6 or 8 anchor-outs that were within a stones throw of Coast Guard Island were politely asked to move further down the Estuary, where they remain to this day, again, unmolested.

I just don't think it's easy to make it happen, otherwise there would be a lot more of us doing it.

If you saw the state of the great majority of the boasts that are anchored out and talked to the owners of those boats, I'm sure you'd realize that there ain't a bunch of rocket scientists out there. Nobody pulling any great dodge on the Powers That Be. Just a bunch of people with vessels that more or less float, looking for a free place to live. They've been there for a long time and by all indications, will continue to be. And Hot Rod would fit right in.

your google Flyin Hawaiian Catamaran you will get anything that contains "flyin", "hawaiian", or "catamaran". First pages will be inclusive of all three, later ones not so much (starting on page 2 or 3)/

Search "flyin hawaiian catamaran" and you get a whopping SEVEN pages. the last three being repeats/non-unique domains that even google culls them from the search.

Nope, this is a non-event to the web world.

And let me just reiterate- I ain't buying the whole, "I got two weeks to sell the boat and get out of Dodge" story. In all likelihood, even if Bill Price had the authority to force HR out of the anchorage, it certainly would take more than two weeks to make that happen. And again, the place is full of total shitboxes, some of which are guaranteed to drag each winter, and ain't nobody making those people leave. Further, if HR is truly strapped for cash, how is he going to do better than a free place to live, which he currently has? He spent three years of his life and all his savings to build the thing and the instant the harbormaster says, "Skeedaddle," he bails on his life's dream? I don't think so. There's something else going on here, but as usual, getting the real story out of HR is like pulling teeth.

And let me just reiterate- I ain't buying the whole, "I got two weeks to sell the boat and get out of Dodge" story. In all likelihood, even if Bill Price had the authority to force HR out of the anchorage, it certainly would take more than two weeks to make that happen. And again, the place is full of total shitboxes, some of which are guaranteed to drag each winter, and ain't nobody making those people leave. Further, if HR is truly strapped for cash, how is he going to do better than a free place to live, which he currently has? He spent three years of his life and all his savings to build the thing and the instant the harbormaster says, "Skeedaddle," he bails on his life's dream? I don't think so. There's something else going on here, but as usual, getting the real story out of HR is like pulling teeth.

Yeah, I am thinking this is another "DT committed suicide"-like hoax. SA-ers certainly fell for that one.

Entirely possible. Speaking of Marina Village, there are easily a dozen anchor-outs currently on the Estuary, and have been for years. Some directly across the water from your old marina. The most hassle any of them have ever had was when Michelle Obama came to christen a new Coast Guard cutter a few years ago and the 6 or 8 anchor-outs that were within a stones throw of Coast Guard Island were politely asked to move further down the Estuary, where they remain to this day, again, unmolested.

Windsurfer has some additional feedback above disagreeing with my opinion also. I just don't think it's easy to make it happen, otherwise there would be a lot more of us doing it. The boats in the Oakland estuary certainly had a hard time hanging in recently though. They had a blog going here on SA or somewhere and it wasn't a sure thing they were going to survive "unmolested". You've seen how San Diego has changed. No anchor-outs. There are some derelicts in the permitted anchorages, but it's tough to find a place to stay there. With the harbor patrol, coast guard, the black NSA boats flying around it's difficult to be a non-conformist and find a new spot. Maybe I'm projecting that onto SFBay more than is true. I do still believe that the SA posters from the midwest, east coast or Europe should temper their enthusiasm for "move to the Delta". I think it is a difficult proposition. You obviously get around a lot, send HR some options (coordinates) for a better location. The SA community would be very supportive if you helped keep FH afloat and the forum going !! Also, heading up the Delta is not a zero wind condition, we know what the trees look like up there. All the wind through the gate all summer long goes somewhere - like directly through the Delta or over Altamont.

can't be that hard. When I was in Miami I was amazed at the live aboards with their eye sore boats piled high with stuff, just out from some of the most expensive real estate in the state. These were clearly homeless living on boats. I asked someone how they get the boats. Story I was told is after a hurricane there are a lot of boats that wind up places like mangroves and the owners call insurance and say it is gone. Some of these boats are salvaged by people who have nowhere to call home. I t make sense. When I was at Eckerd a boat washed up on the beach just across from campus. The state came and anchored it out. It sat there for 2 years before finally sinking. I always wondered why no one came looking for it. In hindsight they got their check and never cared where it went. It was a cute boat too.

HR, what can't you afford anymore? What exactly are your expenses? I would think as long as the FH stays afloat it's your cheapest option anywhere.

James,

As all here would attest, life is full of hardships. I'm sure you've run into many.

I'm only glad your last won't be at the mercy of the sea, as she is truly unforgiving.

Take solace in that you have made a good decision, and use that to get through the next

rough chapter of disposing of the FH, and move on with your life.

Good luck with everything..

Did he lose all his ground tackle recently? I read he was on a mooring. The harbor master could have control of the mooring and have given him two weeks grace period before he has to leave.

At least the fh was paidfore.

Don't kid yourselves u know a job wont buy a yacht.

just the dreams and the yacht andthe lifestyle are dead.

I can look forward to going back to three jobs,

till my first hartatack.the the old vets home.ya

I'm fifty plus ,this was it for me.

i took a chance. like volunteering for the military.

u cant win them all.

I'm only disappointed in my self.

no discharge this time.

Nice, I like the "Poor, poor pitiful me" angle - some like Ronstadt's version, but I prefer the Zevon orginal - I suggest you give it a listen, it's sad and misguided yet still defiant.

Now, as to this "a job won't buy a yacht" bit, I simply must call Mutherfuckin' Bullshit on that one.

See the yacht below with Diamond Head in the background ?

Yep, a goddamn J O B, and a budget. And a Clue.

It's much more than just scale, it's having a Plan you can afford - and checking out on society and being a free spirit in fact does cost money, that's why people work and save and LEARN to act wisely before embarking on futile courses of spending.

That you think you might sell that assembled Liability of yours is proof positive you've checked out of reality rather completely. Who do you think would WANT to pick up where you left off here ?

But the real problem is us here on a internet forum, one that specializes in eclectic sailing and open discussion.

Got it.

Now, that part about collective tax dollars being safe - who pays for the Racoon and landfills ?

Don't look now, but there is/was a 56 ft motor-sailer cat ketch for sale in Valllejo for $ 15 k.

But I am glad that you seem to have come around to the fact that you are at jeapordy here, and I hope you do escape this adventure alive. Best luck in the future and thank you for not endangering rescue personnel.

post-1504-0-41876400-1381086974_thumb.jpg

What does that even mean ?

That you are still dragging even though you are soft aground again ?

Here is one problem - the larger anything is, the more windage it has.

At least the fh was paidfore.

Don't kid yourselves u know a job wont buy a yacht.

just the dreams and the yacht andthe lifestyle are dead.

I can look forward to going back to three jobs,

till my first hartatack.the the old vets home.ya

I'm fifty plus ,this was it for me.

i took a chance. like volunteering for the military.

u cant win them all.

I'm only disappointed in my self.

no discharge this time.

OMG, I'm so damn sick of your constant playing the veteran card, like it ruined your life. My son is only 30 and in the Air Force. He has not graduated college yet, though he's working towards the degree. He too volunteered. He bought himself a pretty sweet 3 bed.brick house in Florida, he has a 2011 F250, and a big bass boat. If he was into sailing instead of bass fishing, he could afford a nice used cat. All that on a serviceman's salary. Just because you're a loser doesn't mean everyone who serves can't make a decent living.

You make me want to slap you silly every time you imply that having spent a couple of years in the service we all owe you something. You were paid for your service and it was up to you to make something of your life.

While we're at it, stop whining about being 50. Plenty of us here are older than that and we've managed to shelter ourselves, and pay for our own hobbies. Yeah, you disdain us but we aren't wondering where we're going to sleep next week.

Wow the windage on fh is to grate for mud bottom.

No, FH's windage is too great for the ground tackle you chose to use. Vessels many times larger than yours successfully anchor in SF Bay mud all the time. The issue is not your boat, but rather your ignorance of proper seamanship.

Well, technically, he probably can't attach anything big enough to hold the FH, to the FH, so it is kind of the boat. Anything big enough probably just rips the front of the boat off.

HR,

Serious question. Do you want to continue working on the boat and try to fulfill some of your dream, or are you done with it and want to go do something else? How you answer that question will determine what you need to do next. If your intent is to stay on the boat, then you need to find a place to go where you can be unmolested by authorities. If you're done with the boat, then you need to get it somewhere where it can be disposed of without causing a big problem. Either way, we might be able to help or get you pointed in the right direction.

What say you?

Rod if you are short of cash you should get in touch with the editor here. If clicks = cash then you are a revenue resource. Keeping your barge afloat and the story progressing can only be putting $$ in his pocket. Of course the down side is he needs the money because he has a bit of a legal issue too.

Other large boats r sidetied.

The masters concerned i will drag the moring ball.

Anker holding in v. shallow bottomz v. problematick, esp mud.

Scope no longer provydz catenary for shock. Problemz compownd with big shallow draft botes.

Elastick snubberz not full solewshin, also introdewss ferther problemz.

Best solewshinz rekwyr multippel speshilized mud ankerz with effectiv lode sharing. Not ezy.

Wun possibility: brydal (3) mud ankers in 'star' pattern to single swivel,

then alternate flotes with wates along chain rode,

overcumz rickoshay and durability (overheet) problemz with elastick snubberz

Large vessels anchor all the damn time. Moorings have limits - the anchor gear is only spec'ed for a certain size - if you are beyond it's rating that isn't thier fault.

STOP with the talk about the Delta. There is no where to legally anchor up there. All the Bay Area boaters know that. This is California. The local landowners, the police, the sheriff, the Coast Guard, the Regional Water Control Board(s) will find you and evict you one way or another. Richardson Bay is the only place that itinerant boats are tolerated, and one day that may end too. You used to be able to hang out in Clipper Cover (Treasure Island), but they closed that down a couple years ago. There is no place to go in the Delta. Six months ago there was a little fishing marina for sale in Grizzly Island. FH would look great there, Perfect for fitting out before the big trip. Unfortunately the Acre of land and the 700 ft of docks was priced about 300-400K. Don't remember exactly, but I drove up there and looked at it,. Would have been perfect for the FH. Oh except the 20' tall bridge a 1/4 mile away. The masts would have to come down to get in there.

So, if you don't live locally, QUIT recommending the Delta. If you are a local boater and know an island where they won't evict you, post the GPS coordinates (Though I might try to get there 1st).

Thanks! A word of reason amongst the (well-deserved) diatribes.

big and shoddy isnt beautiful HR. Its a liability. Youve been ordered off the mooring ball because others recognise you present a risk to them. You do. So why is it so hard for you to recognise that ? Pull a sail up and head out the gate in an outgoing tide and say goodbye to it all. You might actually wash up on a beach at hawaii. Or Japan. Just so long as its not in my backyard.

Truck the damn thing up to Lake Oroville. The got a great meth cookery up there that will make this little misadventure seem logical. And while we are all speculating about what the real story is, my bet is a sentencing offer from Butte County.

Has anyone else noticed that all of a sudden James now has much better grammar, punctuation, sentence structure and spelling?

My, my, my.

I have a question that needs and honest answer from you HotRod.

Is the FH starting to come apart? Most of us think that the loads where the hulls join the deck are greater than the methods used can cope with.

If it is starting to come apart then you need to salvage what you can and get off.

However if it is still holding together don't give up.

Reduce your rudder length to 30% current size. fix up the tiller linkage.

Build a bracket to hold those outboards, ideally a swinging one like this but anything just to make you mobile. In light winds those two Seagulls will push you along. Just fine.

Use what you have.

post-46472-0-59992700-1381101249_thumb.jpg

That's the helpful instructions from SA.

YOU built a floating pile of garbage while ignoring the advice of those who had experience. YOU spent beyond your means. YOU are the only person to blame for this catastrophe.

Act like a fucking man and take ownership of your failures. Stop fucking expecting hand outs. God damn I fucking hate parasites like you.

Not sure who has "played" who. I have not understood why he has spent time participated in this thread, considering he has a boat to finish. Nevermind that it might take more work for him (more than some of us) to read this. I presume he has been on the FH all this time. Does he have a smartphone? laptop? dunno. My bet is accessing this forum in such a situation requires a little bit of time. Many of us work for a living in front of a computer screen, so this thread is always a click away.

Now, if you can just get an SA'er here to call you a "grifter", you may very well seal the plan's success

. :lol:

I hate attention geter's :)