U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

HotRod needs to get Reid Stowe on the program as project manager.

Funny how sa quotes ij to b seen on a google ser.

I said that to the paradise post,ij quotes them .all on my back. My words.

My life. My loss .ur third hand me. .i was inspired! That over now.

Not my first front page!

Say what u like.

It was.me and my story,that u found so interesting

I couldn't stop u from stalking ,gaucking,gossiping.trashing,bashing,lying .i tryed . I threaten .i posted!! Now im one of u .a third hand loser. I bit the hook.

U can b my new guides.i can hardly wait for the serene life,helping others with all the extra money generated.traveling ,u know enjoying the good life ur directions will bring.

HotRod needs to get Reid Stowe on the program as project manager.

HotRod's poetry is better that Weid Stowe's

FB- Doug

It was.me and my story,that u found so interesting

^^^That's what hooked me, HR. Honestly. Some dude and his son out in SoCal chasing the dream, going all-in building a giant cat from scratch.

Hate to see you guys throw in the towel. What's up Dock Rat? He jump ship or what??? If you've decided to scrap the trip, it's time to liquidate inventory bro... sails, electronics, etc... Do you still have the bike? Where's FH'jr? Time to part with something. Take stock of where you are and what's available to you- very rarely are we left with absolutely no outs.

Good Luck Rod.

U can b my new guides.i can hardly wait for the serene life,helping others with all the extra money generated.traveling ,u know enjoying the good life ur directions will bring.

If you'd paid a bit of attention to all the knowledgeable advice (directions) given to you in the past by the members here you might not have ended up in your current situation.

Of course that's their fault too isn't it?

Not my first front page!

What - you've tried eating people before?

To b a good Anarchist i should conform to your .,what again....

If you are thinking of selling the FH

you might want to take some time off of SA and work on your list of Disclosures of Existing Conditions

Oh wait the Raccoon don't care - It All Taste the Same :o

HR & Co. built one BIG MoFo of a Liability w/o any Equity

and the Overhead shall be tremendous (even more if things not attended to "When" needed)

Can't afford a tow off the mooring? It's supposed to be a sailboat, what?

No one was killed, thankfully, and no one injured, exept for the marina master.

This whole mis-adventure is and was truly pathetic, as in the classical Greek definition of being full of pathos. Or even Shakespearean:

it is a tale

told by an idiot

full of the sound and the fury

signifying nothing

To b a good Anarchist i should conform to your .,what again....

I can't understand a fucking word he's typing. Can someone paraphrase please?

If you are thinking of selling the FH

you might want to take some time off of SA and work on your list of Disclosures of Existing Conditions

Oh wait the Raccoon don't care - It All Taste the Same :o

HR & Co. built one BIG MoFo of a Liability w/o any Equity

and the Overhead shall be tremendous (even more if things not attended to "When" needed)

Perhaps we could get Woody to translate for HotRod.

Or the other way around.

Oh never mind. They are probably both speaking the same language,

U must b smoking something good..

And that is the answer jimmy boy. Get towed up the delta, buy yourself some grow lights and a solar panel, and get a pakaloha crop in.

Before you know it James you will be flyin 1st class to Hawaiian. Stick with SA James and not only will you be living in the shadow of the Dimiond - you will be wearing them.

Mahola !

even Shakespearean:

it is a tale

told by an idiot

signifying nothing

That's some good MacBeth shit right there....

even Shakespearean:

it is a tale

told by an idiot

signifying nothing

That's some good MacBeth shit right there....

MacBeth!!

the entire misadventure began and ended with hot rod's hubris.

he thought that even with no experience he was smarter than everyone else who ever designed and built a big catamaran. what the took them a million dollars to do he could do for a tiny fraction.

yes he got a big barge built for a small dollar amount and there is no slighting the amount of physical labor it took to build this thing. he managed to get further than many of us suspected. but the end result was woefully short of the mark. you would be closer to your goal of reaching Hawaii by 60'+ catamaran by starting from scratch than taking over the flyin Hawaiian.

other than whatever experiences he has from the last few years, he has nothing to show for all the time, money and goodwill invested in the project. a project that was doomed to failure before the first piece of wood was sawn for the project. hot rod may think that the only problem is that he has run out of resources and otherwise the boat is sound. talking about selling indicates this may be the case or it might be empty bluster. but the truth is that the boat has so many fatal deficiencies that no amount of money given to rod at this point is going to make it safe offshore.

Now im one of u .a third hand loser. I bit the hook.

Welcome aboard, Hot Rod. You'll fit right in. Now fuck off and show us some tits.

Just spent some time talking to HR, I wish to clarify about the anchor dragging. I was unaware of RB having a grassy bottom, That grassy bottom and his 150# stockless anchor are not compatible. A diver has offered to bury the anchor for him, I have no idea of that is viable or not, but I did discuss concepts of scope with him.

FYI, he is exploring options of keeping the boat and moving it somewhere, but the RB harbor master wants him off the buoy, it was never made to hold such a large boat in winter storms. It didn't sound like he was being told to leave RB, though.

Just spent some time talking to HR, I wish to clarify about the anchor dragging. I was unaware of RB having a grassy bottom, That grassy bottom and his 150# stockless anchor are not compatible. A diver has offered to bury the anchor for him, I have no idea of that is viable or not, but I did discuss concepts of scope with him.

FYI, he is exploring options of keeping the boat and moving it somewhere, but the RB harbor master wants him off the buoy, it was never made to hold such a large boat in winter storms. It didn't sound like he was being told to leave RB, though.

thanks Meuritt - that's constructive. I can understand the SA crowd dumping on HotRod when he was brimming with self confidence, but now that he's down for the count it's not cool IMHO.

I was unaware of RB having a grassy bottom

I grew up in that area - low tide just shows a muck bottom. I've never seen grass on the bottom in Richardson bay

Thanks for the update meuritt. Hang in there James, hope you are able to find a way to keep your boat! Best of luck!

I was unaware of RB having a grassy bottom

I grew up in that area - low tide just shows a muck bottom. I've never seen grass on the bottom in Richardson bay

I can't disagree from personal experience, but I asked one of my go to sources before posting. It is grassy these days. Yes, from 101 the pretty little house boats are lying in the mud, and that's what we see from shore. What is beneath the surface on the east side is definitely grass

perfect time to open a Haunted House !!

I have read his posts, Yea folk here tried to help him and he thought he knew better, Maybe, just maybe he's "crying like a dam toddler" because reality has hit him.

Good bit is that no one has died in this venture.

Like I said, lets stop kicking the man while he's down.

Doesn't sound like the boat is actually breaking up, just not working out as planned and has no funds to carry on the dream, can't even get a tow to a better place to winter out. Hot rod said something about living for a very little sum of money once the boat hits the water (sorry, I forget the actual amount). Fact is, living on a boat, maintaining it afloat and finishing it cost a heck of a lot more than some one with no boating experience thought, go figure.

lets stop kicking the man while he's down.

Go the Hotrod.

Does he have the cash to remove this pile of crap from the water? No? Then fuck him. Somebody else (us) ends up paying for these assholes failed projects. I'm all for taking risks in life, but this idiot deserves to get kicked in the junk repeatedly.

If you'd paid a bit of attention to all the knowledgeable advice (directions) given to you in the past by the members here you might not have ended up in your current situation.

This is untrue. Even the best advice in this thread was not given until it was too late to actually do much good, and following that advice would have always cost more than HR had to spend. The vast majority of what passed for advice on this thread was a spew of insults and name calling designed to make the poster feel superior. Don't flatter yourself into thinking that you were helpful.

The truth is that the FH was not done in by any of the failures predicted by the experts in this thread. It wasn't the CDX, or the drywall screws, or the rutter linkage, or the unique rigging, or the stairs that were uneven, or that one board in the bow that was cut too short, or that it wouldn't float, or would break up on the launch ramp, yadda yadda yadda. In the end, none of that mattered. It was just like most other boat building failures -- way too much boat for his bank account. He is $10,000+ from having a boat that is finished; he has no way to get $10,000 while he is living on the boat; he has no money to store the boat ashore. Game over.

He thought he could build an ocean-going, 65' catamaran with the money he had. He was wrong. None of the advice offered in this thread would have changed that outcome. He actually got very far and was quite successful, considering how badly he misjudged the costs of building, fitting out, and living aboard a large boat. The loss of money and time caused by that misjudgment is almost entirely his own, so I don't see why folks need to beat him up about it.

When I was a kid I moved around in the midwest US. I met two different guys who were each back-yard building large boats to sail across the the ocean (one in steel and one in wood). Neither of them got nearly so far as HR did, and they each invested at least as much money has HR has. They were projects doomed to failure, but I don't think either of those guys would have benefited from the abuse SA would have offered them.

Reduce your rudder length to 30% current size. fix up the tiller linkage.

Well. . .whether or not Hot Rod and/or the Flyin' Hawaiian are actually done, can we all just agree that at least this thread still needs to go on? After obsessively checking in on it daily, nay hourly, for lo these many years, it's truely become like one of the family. C'mon, you know it's true. We don't really need Rod at all in order to wax eloquent about motorcycles, rutters, plywood grades, questionable legal and psychological advice. . .

The rudder debate will never die! First man to fit a laser rudder to a supertanker and measure the forces gets a prize

If you'd paid a bit of attention to all the knowledgeable advice (directions) given to you in the past by the members here

What page is the bit where everyone's so fucking helpful? "That's shit." and "Can't be done." was the main tone of the 'advice' in this thread IIRC.

Does he have the cash to remove this pile of crap from the water? No? Then fuck him. Somebody else (us) ends up paying for these assholes failed projects. I'm all for taking risks in life, but this idiot deserves to get kicked in the junk repeatedly.

Yeah, as bad as those dickhead solo sailors that have to be rescued at great expense from the southern ocean every now and then. Everyone should have a chance to fuck up really spectacularly at least once in their life.

This is untrue. Even the best advice in this thread was not given until it was too late to actually do much good, and following that advice would have always cost more than HR had to spend. The vast majority of what passed for advice on this thread was a spew of insults and name calling designed to make the poster feel superior. Don't flatter yourself into thinking that you were helpful.

The truth is that the FH was not done in by any of the failures predicted by the experts in this thread. It wasn't the CDX, or the drywall screws, or the rutter linkage, or the unique rigging, or the stairs that were uneven, or that one board in the bow that was cut too short, or that it wouldn't float, or would break up on the launch ramp, yadda yadda yadda. In the end, none of that mattered. It was just like most other boat building failures -- way too much boat for his bank account. He is $10,000+ from having a boat that is finished; he has no way to get $10,000 while he is living on the boat; he has no money to store the boat ashore. Game over.

He thought he could build an ocean-going, 65' catamaran with the money he had. He was wrong. None of the advice offered in this thread would have changed that outcome. He actually got very far and was quite successful, considering how badly he misjudged the costs of building, fitting out, and living aboard a large boat. The loss of money and time caused by that misjudgment is almost entirely his own, so I don't see why folks need to beat him up about it.

When I was a kid I moved around in the midwest US. I met two different guys who were each back-yard building large boats to sail across the the ocean (one in steel and one in wood). Neither of them got nearly so far as HR did, and they each invested at least as much money has HR has. They were projects doomed to failure, but I don't think either of those guys would have benefited from the abuse SA would have offered them.

Well, IIRC, some individuals appeared early in this thread that claimed to have spoken with HR directly long before the launch, while the thing was still being built in the empty lot at LL. Their account was of a fellow who brushed off their efforts to give advice. Whether true, dunno. They seemed cagey about their identities on this thread, so take it FWIW. And no I dont want to dig through the thread to find it.

As far as backyard builders, go search the web. There are loads of forums and blogs documenting their projects. Many (destined to be) more successful than FH.

Anyway, noobs do not come to SA for advice unless you have been around here for a while. By the same token, this is a frickin' internet forum. ANY advice from ANYWHERE on the internet, solicited or not, should be taken with a grain of salt. If you feel abused, you can go away, or choose not listen (which sounds like exactly what HR has done, not listened).

And just what specific, practical advice did you give him??

Go back and read the thread newbie, THEN you can fuck off - and where are the tits?

"Even the best advice in this thread was not given until it was too late to actually do much good"

So true. Remember the under-built hulls were finished and trucked to LL before this thread ever started. If all the advice had been taken and the boat finished in a proper seaworthy fashion, the two hulls are still only 5/8, not approx 2" thick.

Is there anyone here with any working knowledge of the Mighty Petaluma? If so, please PM me.

To all the noobs complaing about the lack of past advice - firstly, go back and read the fuckin' thread - ALL of it.

Sure most of it was trash talk - much of it well deserved in light of HR's terminal case of hubris - but there was lots of good advice offered (and ignored or spit on) about anchoring, safe locations to moor, hardening up a place on the boat to anchor from, rigging details, places to get gear cheap and on & on.

Launching a huge barge without so much as a decent anchor and then complaining when it's pointed out? Give me a break.

One of our local online classifieds has a 150 Lb real Bruce for sale for a couple of $hundred - SF has to have lots more than we do - for example.

Now all you noobs - where are the tits?

Stockless Navy anchors basically have the holding power equal to their weight and are not considered good small boat anchors because an adequate anchor with good holding power would weigh too much to be practical. Once my dad drug a 50 pound Navy anchor on a mud bottom with an 18 ft power boat in protected waters.

The more I read this weird thread the more I get a sneaking suspicion that I just might be having my pickle pulled? Anyone else getting this?

It just doesn't add up....

The more I read this weird thread the more I get a sneaking suspicion that I just might be having my pickle pulled? Anyone else getting this?

i have no idea what is going on with your pickle. However, I don't know which way is up in this thread.

Reduce your rudder length to 30% current size. fix up the tiller linkage.

>Well. . .whether or not Hot Rod and/or the Flyin' Hawaiian are actually done, can we all just agree that at least this thread still needs to go on? After obsessively checking in on it daily, nay hourly, for lo these many years, it's truely become like one of the family. C'mon, you know it's true. We don't really need Rod at all in order to wax eloquent about motorcycles, rutters, plywood grades, questionable legal and psychological advice. . .

The rudder debate will never die! First man to fit a laser rudder to a supertanker and measure the forces gets a prizeWhat page is the bit where everyone's so fucking helpful? "That's shit." and "Can't be done." was the main tone of the 'advice' in this thread IIRC.

If you'd paid a bit of attention to all the knowledgeable advice (directions) given to you in the past by the members here

Yeah, as bad as those dickhead solo sailors that have to be rescued at great expense from the southern ocean every now and then. Everyone should have a chance to fuck up really spectacularly at least once in their life.

And he Did - so what next ??

Usually Life leaves options to Advance

the F-H story does not contain that chapter

the F-H is a Huge Negative that would take More than anyone on these forums to turn around

and "IF" anyone could - they wouldn't want to

or they would Never gotten in a position to do so ! (Fools & their friends/kidz $$ and all )

So who bought FH and what did he/she pay, Rod? This has obviously been a profitable venture for you, with much national and international attention. I consider you my guru, guide me in how best to corner the market in non-cruisable boats, much as you have done here.

If you are as successful as I suspect you are, you may single handedly be responsible for the turn-around of the 'Merican economy, which will surely occur once Wall Street learns of your incredible duplicity.

Stockless Navy anchors basically have the holding power equal to their weight and are not considered good small boat anchors because an adequate anchor with good holding power would weigh too much to be practical. Once my dad drug a 50 pound Navy anchor on a mud bottom with an 18 ft power boat in protected waters.

Keep your druggy dad out of this!

I have read his posts, Yea folk here tried to help him and he thought he knew better, Maybe, just maybe he's "crying like a dam toddler" because reality has hit him.

Good bit is that no one has died in this venture.

lets stop kicking the man while he's down.

Too late, he already has fathered offspring.

He says.

Then again, he says he's an Army veteran, and a multi-engine rated pilot, and a certified meteorologist, and a master carpenter, and that he used over 1,000 gallons of resin on his ~$25,000 boat floating shed.

It may be that pointing out the truth is actually more cruel and painful than multiple repeated kicks to the groin

FB- Doug

I seem to recall reading the articles about this project in the local paper, whatever that was. The first one was a glowing review of James portrayed as a local hero. The next, not so much. It included quotes from someone who knew what he was talking about saying that the build he had seen thus far lacked proper reinforcement. So there were indications early on that the project was headed for trouble.

I - and I would bet many others - would be more sympathetic if James had not spent so much time spinning yarns and telling outlandish stories. Early on, his claims of being a master this, that and the other thing and having studied thousands of cat designs may very well have dissuaded offers of advice and help, and that was well before this thread started. His constant attitude that he needs help, but the help he needs is not design or construction advice but rather money and/or in kind goods, also didn't win him any friends. Let's not forget his threats of "going reg army" and his assault on a harbour master. This and other things, like his false accusations against the USCG and his most recent outrageous claim of having worked for the Wounded Warrior project, exposed him as a complete ass, as if he had not already achieved that status. Right or wrong, most people are not going to lift a finger to assist an ass. If anything, the opposite.

And, even at this stage, as other posters have already pointed out, James has attributed this failure to a lack of funds. Not his fault, he was soooo close... For want of just a few thousand this glorious project must end. Oh what could have been! Complete nonsense.

You think there were not people trying to give him advice when he was ordering his first supplies? I bet there were. When the nooze reported it and SA picked it up I don't think much changed. Except that SA folks can hide further away and are pretty rough.

He probably has never listened to advice in his life, starting with his mother.

he could sell the set of plans to GunBoat

Oh wait .....................................

Seeking help here iz lyk going to Dracula & co when

whot you need iz a blud tranzfewshin, or seeking

a sensitiv, caring lyf partner on a porno syt.

You myt get thrown a bone or too in eether cayss . . .

But it aint gonna help becoz if you had enuf judjment

to tell what to take and what to discard, you woudint

be theer in the ferst plaice.

(and you woudint need to, neether)

snaerk - please just stop, really, just stop

you don't make sense - and are unreadable - and you are not funny

you are not helping anything

are you related to HR? or woody?

It's pretty hard to give advice to a person that refuses to accept it or never asks a question. I asked HR back in LL if he had ever sailed before. He said he had sailed on a Hobie Cat. When I ask if he thought that was relevant (to an ocean crossing), he just waved his hands and said it was "all the same." Implying that sailing a 16' boat in protected water isn't any different than sailing a 65' across the ocean, and dismissing the idea that that would even be a valid question. I think he thought that if he could just finish the boat, then all the other pieces would just fall into place. He was told by many people on many occasions that the FH was structurally unsound. Does anyone ever recall him asking why, or how it could be corrected? Nope. The boat should have been called the Flyin' Hubris. If he had spent the last three years working on a used, solidly build 40-50 footer donor shell, and spent some time actually figuring out why a thousand years of boat building has worked out many of the things that work, he might have been able to pull it off. Still can if he chooses to start again.

To all the noobs complaing about the lack of past advice - firstly, go back and read the fuckin' thread - ALL of it.

Sure most of it was trash talk - much of it well deserved in light of HR's terminal case of hubris - but there was lots of good advice offered (and ignored or spit on) about anchoring, safe locations to moor, hardening up a place on the boat to anchor from, rigging details, places to get gear cheap and on & on.

Launching a huge barge without so much as a decent anchor and then complaining when it's pointed out? Give me a break.

One of our local online classifieds has a 150 Lb real Bruce for sale for a couple of $hundred - SF has to have lots more than we do - for example.

We did and not a stitch of decent advice from you, Slurp Jizz B.

Your type is easy to spot, love to pile on, think you're part of the in crowd.

It's a safe bet your sailing, cruising, racing, restoration, design, build skills are below average. Fuck you up the ass, you'll get the fits when we feel like it.

Plus a bunch...

Nope - that's why it's so fascinating and why we're all here - it's as real as a heart attack.

We did and not a stitch of decent advice from you, Slurp Jizz B.

Your type is easy to spot, love to pile on, think you're part of the in crowd.

It's a safe bet your sailing, cruising, racing, restoration, design, build skills are below average. Fuck you up the ass, you'll get the fits when we feel like it.

Who's this "we" white man - and we don't want "fits", we want TITS. If that illustrates your level of dyslexia it would explain why you haven't been able to find the good advice that was offered - go up the delta being the biggie.

We see IMHO frequently on this post. Clearly it should be IMO for humility is unknown or forgotten in this SA thread. OK by me - best a straight up opinion.

Anyway, see below for a current pic of the site where the FH was built. Notice the large pile of dirt covered by the tarp. Perhaps it is the final resting place for Lil Murray.

post-99684-0-02592000-1381195690_thumb.jpg

Seeking help here iz lyk going to Dracula & co when

whot you need iz a blud tranzfewshin, or seeking

a sensitiv, caring lyf partner on a porno syt.

You myt get thrown a bone or too in eether cayss . . .

But it aint gonna help becoz if you had enuf judjment

to tell what to take and what to discard, you woudint

be theer in the ferst plaice.

(and you woudint need to, neether)

Dude, are you on one of those boats stuck up in the Northwest Passage?

If you can thaw out your fingers a bit more and give us some coords we may be able to send some help..

Stockless Navy anchors basically have the holding power equal to their weight and are not considered good small boat anchors because an adequate anchor with good holding power would weigh too much to be practical. Once my dad drug dragged a 50 pound Navy anchor on a mud bottom with an 18 ft power boat in protected waters.

Keep your druggy dad out of this!

OK, fixed it. My dad was never a druggy, but I often thought some drugs might have smoothed out his mood swings! :wacko:

Bhyde u have never met me and i never been on a hobby cat. Fuck off

You think there were not people trying to give him advice when he was ordering his first supplies? I bet there were. When the nooze reported it and SA picked it up I don't think much changed. Except that SA folks can hide further away and are pretty rough.

It is possible that he was ignoring great advice at the beginning stages, but I have been to Butte County and find it pretty unlikely there are qualified naval architects hanging out up there offering free advice to backyard builders. At any rate, the die was cast long before this thread started. This whole thread only has about 50 posts that contain useful advice, 1000 posts of insults/leading-questions/amateur-psychoanalysis that the poster has flattered themselves into thinking were somehow useful, and then 7000 meaningless posts by DaWoody.

I am personally shocked at how far HR managed to get within his limited resources. This was a huge undertaking. It was doomed from the start, but he worked extremely hard and got farther than I expected. SA did not help at all.

We see IMHO frequently on this post. Clearly it should be IMO for humility is unknown or forgotten in this SA thread. OK by me - best a straight up opinion.

Anyway, see below for a current pic of the site where the FH was built. Notice the large pile of dirt covered by the tarp. Perhaps it is the final resting place for Lil Murray.

attachicon.gifLL 10072013.JPG

If that's Lil Murray final resting spot methinks Murray was not so little!

It is possible that he was ignoring great advice at the beginning stages, but I have been to Butte County and find it pretty unlikely there are qualified naval architects hanging out up there offering free advice to backyard builders. At any rate, the die was cast long before this thread started. This whole thread only has about 50 posts that contain useful advice, 1000 posts of insults/leading-questions/amateur-psychoanalysis that the poster has flattered themselves into thinking were somehow useful, and then 7000 meaningless posts by DaWoody.

I am personally shocked at how far HR managed to get within his limited resources. This was a huge undertaking. It was doomed from the start, but he worked extremely hard and got farther than I expected. SA did not help at all.

Pretty much describes any SA thread.

Boats here this size or larger don't anchor,they r at the docks. Go or die here.

No rudder controls .cant find used hydraulic heads for the helms. No help here with finding any. So its tow or die ordin controls for the outboard tomarow.minnies for 50$. I would trade Parts for pics!.! Ill pay postage.

Larger boats go to the dock because they have the insurance and the $ to pay. Hydraulic steering on FH would be sluggish at best.

Cap'n Rod, I mean James, ever spent any time over on the WoodBoat Forum, as you call it?

attachicon.gifLL 10072013.JPG

If that's Lil Murray final resting spot methinks Murray was not so little!

well it wouldn't be the first "ironic" turn of phrase on this thread...kinda like...um...."flyin" in FH.....whereas perhaps Mud-squatting would be more apt.

Boats here this size or larger don't anchor,they r at the docks. Go or die here.

No rudder controls .cant find used hydraulic heads for the helms. No help here with finding any. So its tow or die ordin controls for the outboard tomarow.minnies for 50$. I would trade Parts for pics!.! Ill pay postage.

I gave at the Office.....

I see dockrat is lurking. Whats your take on all this Michael?

17 user(s) are reading this topic

11 members, 5 guests, 1 anonymous users

Life Buoy 15, dockrat, woolly, Oronoco, sjmiles, Bmajor, kman, CrazyButHappy, bluedog225, r3tic, Gorn FRANTIC!!

Bhyde u have never met me and i never been on a hobby cat. Fuck off

Yeah, that's pretty funny Hotrod. You might want to go back to about page two of this thread and take a look at the pictures I took inside your boat when you gave me the "grand tour." like this one:

post-180-0-85563300-1381207454_thumb.jpg

And hey, who's that good looking guy?

post-180-0-52388000-1381207582_thumb.jpg

Why it's Hotrod standing on the good ship FH holding his dick! Wonder who took that picture. Starting to ring a bell? Go back and check your little visitor's book that you were keeping back then.

You probably don't remember the Hobie Cat story you told me, because like most of what you say, it's a lie. And lies are really hard to remember three years later.

So no HR, you can go fuck off. And thanks for taking a big plywood and epoxy shit in the Bay, we all really appreciate how your lack of planning and skill has become yet another burden for the rest of us to clean up.

So James are you back to looking for parts again ? Hydraulics this time ? Your best bet is to scrap the rigging and whatever else you can and tow it somewhere safe. Everyone familiar with the area is telling you RB is way to rough in the winter for FH to survive there. The rigging just adds even more windage anyway, adding to your anchoring problems.

If its only you on FH these days then there's really no point in continuing the charade of making ready for a crossing to Hawaii. What you need is someplace quiet and safe you can put that thing while you deal with your court case. Speaking of which, hows that going James. We all figured starting a fight and biting/injuring the victim was likely to land you some jail time. Is that what this new found revelation is all about ?

Shallow calm water James, as far away from the authorities as you can get. Reduce your need for services, loose the rigging, couple 55g drums of concrete and maybe some flanges welded to them so they hold better. Maybe Michael will watch the FH while your off dealing with your court case.

Hydraulic heads for the helms? Why?

That makeshift tiller will work OK. Running a Teleflex cable to one helm would probably work too. Dual-station hydraulic steering would be nice, but won't change your situation much, would it?

attachicon.gifP1010013.JPG

This is the picture that really makes me take pause. This is inside the port hull, midship, looking forward. The thing to note here is the white piece of wood bolted to the bulkhead (upper right side of pic). That white piece of wood is the crossbeam. From what I can tell about catamaran design, the crossbeam joint and load transfer characteristic therein are real important, so this is where the money is. It, and about four or five others, are holding the two hulls together. There is no hidden structure, just a set of 2x4's coming through the hull and bolted , with a single 1/2" galvanized lag bolt mind you, to a vertical member of the bulkhead. There is no re-enforcement of any kind behind or around the bolt and the bolt is merely sitting in a 1/2' hole drilled through the wood. How this is suppose to transfer any kind of load to the bulkhead is simply beyond me. Not that it would make much difference. The bulkhead is 1/2' ply (one side only) with 2x4 framing screwed to the skin of the hull and notched for the stringers. My best guess as to what would happen if the boat ever got close to the water is that the hulls would simply fold outward, pivoting on the bolts, and the bridge deck would fall to the surface of the water. If that didn't happen, then surely any serious side force on the hulls would simply rip the beams out of the bulkhead.

I was thinking the same thing. You really should point that out to him.

Once the bottom of the bridgedeck is sheathed, can he glass the hulls to the bridgedeck?

I'm not sure he would understand the concept. He thinks that because the hull are asymmetrical that they will always be pushing together so the beams (and joints) are always under compression. I'm not even sure what that means, but that's the thinking.

He is planning on covering the bottom of the bridge deck with plywood (1/2") and then glassing over the wood. The two hulls are currently glassed with a single layer of 8oz glass and are completely set (cured). Nowhere in the area of the bridgedeck-to-hull joint did I see any reason to believe he was planning on building up layers of glass to re-enforce the joint and spread the load of the crossbeams. He would have had to sand the area or use Peel-Ply to get a reasonable surface for apply future layers. That isn't there. In other places on the boat where glass was applied, I saw no evidence that joints had been rounded or filled as is common, and absolutely required, for good structural bonding. I think he feels that the glass is just there to keep water from soaking into the wood and not required for structural reasons.

One of the other things that was a little weird was the color of the hulls. It looked to me like the hulls had already been painted, but Hotrod said that was just the color of the epoxy, which was distinctly yellow (hard to tell in the photos). I'm not sure what brand/type epoxy he is using, but he said it turned that color after it had been in the sun for several months. That can't be good.

One of the statements that Hotrod made that really gives you the willies was about fiberglass boats. It was something to the effect that he didn't like fiberglass boats because they would sink if holed. A wood boat, on the other hand, would not because wood floats. Even if the boat broke up, it wouldn't be a problem because the pieces would always float (being wood). What I should have pointed out is, up until recently, most boats were made of wood and that there are many thousands of sunken wooded boats and crews currently residing on the bottom of many lakes, seas, and oceans throughout the world.

It's amazing how little has really changed in the two years since those posts. I still think sailing through waves of any size would tear the FH apart for the reason bhyde gave. I'm glad we won't find out, but will always be curious about exactly what would have happened.

Snaggys evil twin??

Boats here this size or larger don't anchor,they r at the docks. FH has to Go or it will die here.

Is that correct? My additions in red?

What do the words in blue mean?

Snaggys evil idiot twin

fixed

What do the words in blue mean?

I translate as:

>>

No rudder controls.

Can't find used hydraulic heads for the helms, no help here [sA] with finding any.

So it's tow or die. [can't control the barge under power or sail, have to tow it away.]

Ordering controls for the outboard tomorrow.

minnies for 50$. [haven't got a clue.]

I would trade parts for pics!.!

I'll pay postage.

>>

Minney's is a good yacht surplus store in Costa Mesa (LA area).

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/

It's been mentioned before. There's another good one closer, the 'Blue Pelican' is in Alameda, but it's about 1/4 the size of Minney's..

http://bluepelicanmarine.com/

I take it as a good sign that HR is still working to find parts. Maybe he hasn't quit yet.

Go the Rod!

a good sign ?

Whats he going to do with a few more bits and pieces ? The FH is by all accounts manifestly unseaworthy, The vast majority of opinions by people who know the area is that if he goes out past the gate, its certain death. So again, whats he going to do with a few more parts ?

James, don't bother with anything but an anchor or two, or three. If your resources are really all that low your going to have to focus better. Winch, chain, anchor. Get that thing stabilized at anchor before you get blown across the bay again. Simultaneously you should be cutting the rig off it to reduce wind loading and for the scrap money. Might try and take some angle iron and make a pin cushion out of a few 55g drums, fill them with concrete and there's your anchors. Small derrick and a come along set on the fordeck might just do the trick cheap, plant the whole mess on some 3/4 ply placed over that paper thin deck you have now.

There's absolutely no sense in seeking hydraulics for rudders that aren't going to last five seconds anyway. Loose the rudders, forget the hydraulics and at least get that thing secured at anchor.

try and think rationally, focus on one thing at a time. My guess is your staring at the potential of being in jail for a while. Around here assault with an injury like the one you caused results in a class 3 felony assault charge. Thats serious James. Depending on how many other incidents of assault you have on your record you could be looking at 5 years. Or at least thats what it is in Colorado. You'd end up doing 3, depends. If the FH is going to survive that long its going to need to be well out of the way up the Delta somewhere and on a good solid anchor system. Before your court date, you need to get that thing out of RB and chained down as best you can.

Think about it James, you've got an upcoming court date for the assault right ? What happens if they take you straight from the courtroom to jail, then prison ? You don't need parts for anything but the fastest cheapest retrofit anchoring system you can dream up.

a good sign ?

Whats he going to do with a few more bits and pieces ? The FH is by all accounts manifestly unseaworthy, The vast majority of opinions by people who know the area is that if he goes out past the gate, its certain death. So again, whats he going to do with a few more parts ?

James, don't bother with anything but an anchor or two, or three. If your resources are really all that low your going to have to focus better. Winch, chain, anchor. Get that thing stabilized at anchor before you get blown across the bay again. Simultaneously you should be cutting the rig off it to reduce wind loading and for the scrap money. Might try and take some angle iron and make a pin cushion out of a few 55g drums, fill them with concrete and there's your anchors. Small derrick and a come along set on the fordeck might just do the trick cheap, plant the whole mess on some 3/4 ply placed over that paper thin deck you have now.

There's absolutely no sense in seeking hydraulics for rudders that aren't going to last five seconds anyway. Loose the rudders, forget the hydraulics and at least get that thing secured at anchor.

try and think rationally, focus on one thing at a time. My guess is your staring at the potential of being in jail for a while. Around here assault with an injury like the one you caused results in a class 3 felony assault charge. Thats serious James. Depending on how many other incidents of assault you have on your record you could be looking at 5 years. Or at least thats what it is in Colorado. You'd end up doing 3, depends. If the FH is going to survive that long its going to need to be well out of the way up the Delta somewhere and on a good solid anchor system. Before your court date, you need to get that thing out of RB and chained down as best you can.

Think about it James, you've got an upcoming court date for the assault right ? What happens if they take you straight from the courtroom to jail, then prison ? You don't need parts for anything but the fastest cheapest retrofit anchoring system you can dream up.

Its a little late to be applying common sense.

Great news everyone! Guy and Mrs. Frank have agreed to purchase the Flyin' Hawaiian! Mr. Hot will remain in our employ as skipper, technical adviser and sous chef. Finishing off the interior is imperative as our plan is to make the yacht into a floating bed & breakfast. Mrs. Frank also wishes to add a third floor between the masts to be used as the dinning/play room/greenhouse. With the added revenue, Mr. Hot will be able to make the final adjustments on the steering and sailing bits. We will then start offering whale-watching tours of Richardson Bay and the Delta. Guy is working on a website for reservations. All will be well soon.

Also, accepting resumes for Cabin Boy/Girl, Massuer, Hydroponic Engineer, and Poodle Groomer. PM Guy for more details.

.. .. .. Mr. Hot will remain in our employ as .. .. sous chef.

Should be a good choice of finger food then.

fingers_zps4e241647.jpg

Ouch,, ive just read the entire thread,
now that I have a thirst for it, where is the thread on the aluminium trimaran, the search and google-fu is not working as well as Id hoped.

U just make it up as u go here on sa?

No prison for fix it tickets?

No court dates for the forth time.

thread on the aluminium trimaran

there were several

search "david vann" and "tin can"

Is assault just a fix it ticket these days? Gosh. I may take up biting people.

Ouch,, ive just read the entire thread,

now that I have a thirst for it, where is the thread on the aluminium trimaran, the search and google-fu is not working as well as Id hoped.

That's no small undertaking! You just read the entire thread? One sitting? Well done.

Now being the helpful fellow that I am, may I present, for your continuing education:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=52463&page=1

30358 posts.

*don't click on anything that says Void Ho, or looks like a voidho bomb.

Is assault just a fix it ticket these days? Gosh. I may take up biting people.

Ya it's an ER Room Fix-It but it needed fixing none the less

I say HR whacks off all the rigging & Buys a couple surplus Tank-Drop Parachutes = 3 n 1 ??

and make a BIG MoFo Kite Motel for going down wind and get a BIG MoFo Sea Anchor for going up wind

he can then get around the Bay at will

still have those damn Rock Areas to deal with and Freight traffic and on and on

There's absolutely no sense in seeking hydraulics for rudders that aren't going to last five seconds anyway.

I don't know - I think the rudders will have a relatively low load on them considering the speed that they'll be drifting at. Anyone got any force calculations for rudder loads?

There's absolutely no sense in seeking hydraulics for rudders that aren't going to last five seconds anyway.

I don't know - I think the rudders will have a relatively low load on them considering the speed that they'll be drifting at. Anyone got any force calculations for rudder loads?

100% of the loads will be from one side or the other

forget any forward motion B)