U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Fraud from the beginning, fraud all the way to the end. Good news is I can't imagine ANYONE who is capable of saving or even borrowing $4000, much less $499,000, who would fall for buying a floating outhouse like that.

95% completed huh ? Who wouldve thought that 5% would be so important...

It says 75% completed in the advert. The ad is comical enough without us needing to exaggerate.

imagine trying to spend even one night aboard that thing, anchors dragging, pumps straining, generator sputtering, seams working, desperate to keep on station, struggling with whether to call the CG or not, worrying about wrecking into another boat, wondering how close you are to grounding. What a nightmare.

All I can say is thanks for showing me the errors of my ways, I'm not so sure I want to retire back to the water anymore after reading this, the third or fourth disaster thread I've come across in as many years .

imagine trying to spend even one night aboard that thing, anchors dragging, pumps straining, generator sputtering, seams working, desperate to keep on station, struggling with whether to call the CG or not, worrying about wrecking into another boat, wondering how close you are to grounding. What a nightmare.

All I can say is thanks for showing me the errors of my ways, I'm not so sure I want to retire back to the water anymore after reading this, the third or fourth disaster thread I've come across in as many years .

Ignorance is Bliss

HR might be heavy sleeping without a care in the Enviroment

He'd be sitting in the Bayliner with the throttle on threequarters, the engine misfiring occasionally. Drenched to the skin, bone weary from continually bailing the bayliner out, trying to hold the flyin hawaiin nose into the wind.... in the lulls, he would make good a foot or so to windward, then a howler would send the flyin hawaiin off on a tangent, towing bridle chewing through to its last strand, the dashboard fuel gauge reading less than a quarter now, how much longer do I need to do this.... When will it end ? And with a splutter, the bayliner motor gasps its last. Muck in the fuel. The flyin hawaiin heads off towards the nearest rocky outcrop. And so it ends, not with a bang, but a series of shudders, wimpers and long painful tearing sounds.... much like standing in a cold shower, tearing up notes. But its not all bad news. The plane ticket for hawaii wrapped carefully in bailbondsmans contract, sits in the post office locker, awaiting collection. The key dangles from a shoelace tied around Rods neck.

Then as he gets out of the bayliner and starts to wade ashore, Karma strikes at last. Never been good at tying shoelaces, Rods approximation of a scout knot slips undone, and the key slips down into the mud, never to be seen again....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

12 hours later, hes at the post office begging to have the post box unlocked. Jobsworth says, no way, not without ID. Rod adopts his reg army pose, and jobsworth steps back from behind the grille and shouts out DAD, I need you help here. Dad comes out from the back room with the shotgun. His chomped finger still hasnt healed properly as a result of some deep seated infection.... Dull eyes flash with quick recognition. Youve got to the count of 5 to get out of my post office fella... 1,2,3,5.

Ignorance is Bliss

HR might be heavy sleeping without a care in the Enviroment

+1

Oh, and woody, your post made sense. Something wrong with your medication?

• Downvote 1

He'd be sitting in the Bayliner with the throttle on threequarters, the engine misfiring occasionally. Drenched to the skin, bone weary from continually bailing the bayliner out, trying to hold the flyin hawaiin nose into the wind.... in the lulls, he would make good a foot or so to windward, then a howler would send the flyin hawaiin off on a tangent, towing bridle chewing through to its last strand, the dashboard fuel gauge reading less than a quarter now, how much longer do I need to do this.... When will it end ? And with a splutter, the bayliner motor gasps its last. Muck in the fuel. The flyin hawaiin heads off towards the nearest rocky outcrop. And so it ends, not with a bang, but a series of shudders, wimpers and long painful tearing sounds.... much like standing in a cold shower, tearing up notes. But its not all bad news. The plane ticket for hawaii wrapped carefully in bailbondsmans contract, sits in the post office locker, awaiting collection. The key dangles from a shoelace tied around Rods neck.

Then as he gets out of the bayliner and starts to wade ashore, Karma strikes at last. Never been good at tying shoelaces, Rods approximation of a scout knot slips undone, and the key slips down into the mud, never to be seen again....

12 hours later, hes at the post office begging to have the post box unlocked. Jobsworth says, no way, not without ID. Rod adopts his reg army pose, and jobsworth steps back from behind the grille and shouts out DAD, I need you help here. Dad comes out from the back room with the shotgun. His chomped finger still hasnt healed properly as a result of some deep seated infection.... Dull eyes flash with quick recognition. Youve got to the count of 5 to get out of my post office fella... 1,2,3,5.

Great story, except the fact the Bayliner has been gone for over a month.

so - anyone taking a look this morning? Blew pretty hard last night - however, it was from a favorable direction for the FH last night. Not a southerly.WNW at my place. Probably peaked in the 40s for a couple hours.

so - anyone taking a look this morning? Blew pretty hard last night - however, it was from a favorable direction for the FH last night. Not a southerly.WNW at my place. Probably peaked in the 40s for a couple hours.

Was out of the SW ish direction at my place. Had to fish a 50lb umbrella base out of the pool this morning. Umbrella still attached and tied closed. Fences still up but I had my doubts last night. BBQ migrated across the patio. First thing I thought as glad I put new dock lines on the boat out at the club and that FH was probably toast.

As of this morning weather forecast suggests another low moving through later this week as aways this time of year it can pack some wind with it.

For the most part, this thread is done.

Short story: we have successfully avoided the deaths, injuries, or costly rescues of James Lane and his entourage.

All that's left is the loose ends and clean-up.

Obsessing on any remaining details is pretty weird. Sure, the ultimate fate of this soggy mess is of mild curiosity, but any urgency or serious concern is no longer required.

This story has been a case study in how to drive an ill-planned dream into the ground -- plowing full speed ahead until the vision can no longer support the fantasy and we come crashing down to reality. Which one of us has not had a similar dream? Most of us wake up and smell the coffee a little earlier than James managed to do. The dream can still stay alive and we may still pursue it, but with a little more knowledge and a firmer grasp on reality than last time, right?

Lessons?

• The basic hull/deck structure is merely the first item in a long list of expenses, many of them on-going.
  • A boat is a collection of details, any of which might be the weakest link which takes down the entire assembly:
    • Proper materials and construction methods.
    • Propulsion.
    • Steering.
    • Ground tackle.
  • Experience is best learned in small bites. That way the poison won't kill you and you can take what you've learned and apply it to the next meal.
Best of luck in future endeavors.

Noooooo....Don't let the thread die until the FH dies.

I recommend that the last post in this thread be a photo of the FH in it's death throes, be it via the jaws of the Raccoon, washed up on the rocks, sunk in the mud, or anchored off of Diamond Head.

My 2 cents: most of us saw this train wreck approaching from the first photos posted back in late 2011. But, Rod and his son, at a very high price, did get 1.5 yrs of fame and pleasure while living the first chapter of a fantasy that would turned into the predicted trajedy. The price to pleasure ratio seems prohibitive to me, but at least he will always have 2012.

Or as Bogie might have said - "We'll always have San Rafael".

Obsessing on any remaining details is pretty weird. Sure, the ultimate fate of this soggy mess is of mild curiosity, but any urgency or serious concern is no longer required.

There never was any urgency or serious concern-that thing was never going anywhere.

Pretty breezy last night-did it crash into Belvedere yet?

Well, if he still has the home in Chico, and it's assessed at nearly $89,000 (Butte Co. APN 015-320-058-000), how much property in Hawaii could he get for selling the house? Maybe there are folks lined up in Hawaii just waiting to leave island life behind them and take residence in Chico.

Or, since it's a corner lot with some room in back (.31 acre), how about helicoptering the FH into the back yard or maybe the junior high school would let him bring the boat in through that way? Dig a hole, install and fill a big pool liner, and then go yachting in the comfort of your back yard. What could be better?

Well, if he still has the home in Chico, and it's assessed at nearly $89,000 (Butte Co. APN 015-320-058-000), how much property in Hawaii could he get for selling the house? Maybe there are folks lined up in Hawaii just waiting to leave island life behind them and take residence in Chico.

$89,000 worth of dirt in Waikiki would fit on the head of a pin. Luckily HR has a free spot right next to Diamond Head.

Let's see, taking him at his word, the issues with the rutters are just about worked out, the motors were being delivered but the truck had a broken axle (that was a month or so ago, so should be sorted by now), and the last round of sail testing was 2-3 months ago, so about time for some more. Should be good to go.

$89,000 worth of dirt in Waikiki would fit on the head of a pin. Luckily HR has a free spot right next to Diamond Head.

Let's see, taking him at his word, the issues with the rutters are just about worked out, the motors were being delivered but the truck had a broken axle (that was a month or so ago, so should be sorted by now), and the last round of sail testing was 2-3 months ago, so about time for some more. Should be good to go.

Chico is not Orland not even close. Sorta like saying someone owns a house in Stockton but thinking that is in San Francisco.

Chico is not Orland not even close. Sorta like saying someone owns a house in Stockton but thinking that is in San Francisco.

Don't be dissin' Stockton. That's the place from whence comes SF's meth...

Don't be dissin' Stockton. That's the place from whence comes SF's meth...

By way of 99 from Orland

any news on the FH having survived last night ?

or Not :huh:

come on. there's places for less than $100k on the big island. you just have to want it.

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls2/big+island/-p50

Why do I think all those places are in potential flow paths of Haleakala?

Haleakala, the long-dormant shield volcano on Maui ? I wouldn't worry about it.

Now, Kilauea, which has been erupting continuously since 1988 on the other hand... - isn't NEARLY as dangerous a being newcomer Haole in a fair bit of Puna, and other areas.

come on. there's places for less than $100k on the big island. you just have to want it.

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls2/big+island/-p50

Why do I think all those places are in potential flow paths of Haleakala?

different island. prolly pretty safe from Haleakala

Well what's the name of the big sucker that is always erupting that gooey lava on the big island? I've seen film of it eating whole villages on its way to the sea. Is that Kilauea?

Yes and someone made a remark about that subdivision Royal gardens that was swallowed up by lava there. I saw it in a documentary. You probably saw the same one. Cheap property there.

I have a mental picture of FH, on the hard, in the path of the lava flow....Now that would be a spectacular conclusion to this saga.

* Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS)

"Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) composites are used in a wide variety of applications. Their mechanical properties provide unique benefits to the product they are molded into. FRP composite materials possess superior mechanical properties including:

• Impact resistance
  • Strength
  • Stiffness
  • Flexibility
  • Ability to carry loads

When designing products out of FRP materials, engineers use sophisticated composite material software which calculates the known properties of given the composite. Typical tests used to measure the mechanical properties of FRP composites include:

• Shear stiffness
  • Tensile
  • Flexible Modulus
  • Impact

The two major components of an FRP composite material is resin and reinforcement. A cured thermosetting resin with out any reinforcement is glass like in nature and appearance, but often very brittle. By adding a reinforcing fiber such as carbon fiber, glass, or aramid, the properties are vastly improved."

No mention of ply.

it wont end up a fryin hawaain, or a whopper or a royale, it will just end when someone shouts ITS A WRAP as they close the paddywagon door. You know youve really pizzed off the law when they omit telling you to duck your head as you enter the paddy wagon and you cop a doorway roof frame right across the middle of your head. Then they slam the door shut on your hand. Then they drive off fast, and slam the brakes on hard and listen for the sliding crashing sound from inside the back of the van. Funny as a fit. lets do it again... Thats what happens when you chomp fingers and go reg army on people Rod. They stop doing you favours.

Then when you reach the station, and they open the van door, they are fully expecting you to try charging out of the van. So they are either standing there with a firehose, or they slam the door shut on you just as you try to step out. And of course they havent put the step back down for you and you are blinded by the waterhose. And you end up flat on your face on the bitumen having freefallen 5 feet to get there...Nothing worse than falling to the ground from a height face first, while your arms are handcuffed behind you, and wondering how many more teeth you will lose this time.

Just hope the end is mercifully quick. I can see your frustrations resulting in another arrest coming soon for you fella. Im actually starting to feel sorry for you. Hmm thats bad mkay.

9213 posts on one thread... I feel like I've just finished reading War & Peace!

I feel rather sad about this whole story. Yes, HR brought it all upon himself, but it's sad to see a man's failed dream.

As for the FH's ultimate fate, well if it hasn't broken up so far, it probably won't. However, given the construction details the bhyde and others posted, it probably will never sail.

HR should put it up for sale on craiglist for $5,000 & hope that someone takes off the rig, adds a couple of engines and a flybridge and turns it into a big party boat for summers in the Delta.

^ Why don't you impress us with your reading comprehension and post the obligatory n00b rituals!

heard they've got some pretty girls in Bangkok, We don't really care if they're your gf or not...

^ Why don't you impress us with your reading comprehension and post the obligatory n00b rituals!

heard they've got some pretty girls in Bangkok, We don't really care if they're your gf or not...

& check they are genuine please

Views of liveaboards and yachties: your choice as to viewpoint.

769-1_zpsc84d9edd.jpg

I feel rather sad about this whole story. Yes, HR brought it all upon himself, but it's sad to see a man's failed dream.

As for the FH's ultimate fate, well if it hasn't broken up so far, it probably won't. However, given the construction details the bhyde and others posted, it probably will never sail.

HR should put it up for sale on craiglist for $5,000 & hope that someone takes off the rig, adds a couple of engines and a flybridge and turns it into a big party boat for summers in the Delta.

As a flat water party boat it's worth more than $5k. I think he could get closer to $50k for it, assuming the buyer is confident he can get certification to take passengers.

As a flat water party boat it's worth more than $5k. I think he could get closer to $50k for it, assuming the buyer is confident he can get certification to take passengers.

You guys are joking, right? Anybody who knows anything about the FH would require to be paid $5k - $50k to dispose of it for the Rod. In fact, what will he pay in illegal dumping fines when the thing goes tits up? (It is a figure of speech. I know there is no danger of it capsizing)

I'm with Mike. It would be a pretty cool day charter. Ditch the rig. Beef it up a little and never leave the bay.

I'm with Mike. It would be a pretty cool day charter. Ditch the rig. Beef it up a little and never leave the bay.

You have never seen it in person

Beef it up "a little" yeah.

Describe how little beefing up it would need, please

Assuming you could snap your fingers and instantly solve the structural issues, including creeping sogginess, and not have to spend much time on the rudder issue, then put some propulsion system in... oh yeah and rebuild the transom steps... your best bet would be to find a place for it as an ironclad in a Civil War flick.

FB- Doug

heard they've got some pretty girls in Bangkok.....

My Thai GF says that a small penis is no problem in a loving relationship..........still wish she didn't have one.

Assuming you could snap your fingers and instantly solve the structural issues, including creeping sogginess, and not have to spend much time on the rudder issue, then put some propulsion system in... oh yeah and rebuild the transom steps... your best bet would be to find a place for it as an ironclad in a Civil War flick.

FB- Doug

OK so here goes.

1. Haul out on a railway. That's how it went in so it should be able to take it.

2. Remove the rig.

3. Remove rudders and install steerable outboards.

4. Reinforce back porch.

5. Install bulkheads as needed.

6. Correct splaying either by adding cross beams or by more diagonals from hull to bridgedeck.

8. Modify interior for day charter use. Most day charter cats just have a huge bimini roof with open sides. You could just chop the top clean off of the FH.

9. Antifoul bottom

10. Install lifelines, heads, holding tanks, electronics etc.

11. Fuck the steps. The outboards will be in the way. Just block em off. Or rebuild them if you wish. I've fixed about a 100 so far that have been screwed up from the beginning so it's nothing new to me. Remember, I am a Master Carpenter.

The "creeping sogginess" is not a given. All of the above assumes that there is adequate epoxy and glass so that the FH is dry and will stay that way. This work won't be super fast or super cheap but I think that the FH could be repurposed to something other than a seagoing vessel.

heard they've got some pretty girls in Bangkok.....

My Thai GF says that a small penis is no problem in a loving relationship..........still wish she didn't have one.

Ya got one of those ladyboys?

Great story, except the fact the Bayliner has been gone for over a month.

I heard he strapped 20 bleach bottles to the Harzuki!

You could have bought one way plane tickets and a beat up RV and be living in hawaii now Rod.

You would be hard pressed to find an RV in Hawaii, at least on Oahu. Only decent sized (bigger then a camper van) ones I've ever seen are used for stars on production sets. People tent camp here. But there are several neglected boats on moorings that the roaches around here squat on.

You could have bought one way plane tickets and a beat up RV and be living in hawaii now Rod.

You would be hard pressed to find an RV in Hawaii, at least on Oahu. Only decent sized (bigger then a camper van) ones I've ever seen are used for stars on production sets. People tent camp here. But there are several neglected boats on moorings that the roaches around here squat on.

Do they have Wives / Girlfriends in Hawaii ?? B)

You geniuses here recommending to "upgrade" the FH. . .do you really have that much contempt for hydrodynamics? Or are you merely ignorant of what a proper hullform looks like?

It wouldn't matter if you polished it until it glistens, you've still got a turd on your hands. There is NOTHING that can be done to salvage this shit stew and make it healthy and edible when it was started with those ingredients. The correct answer is to throw it out, learn from mistakes that were made, and try to do a better job next time.

FB- Doug

OK so here goes.

1. Haul out on a railway. That's how it went in so it should be able to take it.

2. Remove the rig.

3. Remove rudders and install steerable outboards.

4. Reinforce back porch.

5. Install bulkheads as needed.

6. Correct splaying either by adding cross beams or by more diagonals from hull to bridgedeck.

8. Modify interior for day charter use. Most day charter cats just have a huge bimini roof with open sides. You could just chop the top clean off of the FH.

9. Antifoul bottom

10. Install lifelines, heads, holding tanks, electronics etc.

11. Fuck the steps. The outboards will be in the way. Just block em off. Or rebuild them if you wish. I've fixed about a 100 so far that have been screwed up from the beginning so it's nothing new to me. Remember, I am a Master Carpenter.

The "creeping sogginess" is not a given. All of the above assumes that there is adequate epoxy and glass so that the FH is dry and will stay that way. This work won't be super fast or super cheap but I think that the FH could be repurposed to something other than a seagoing vessel.

"repurposed"... shucks was it ever purposed in the first place?

I think if you put in crossbeams & bulkheads, you'd need to add some longitudinal girder too... maybe a big external keel on each hull would be easiest. However those big flat panel bows are going to look ugly and with no rocker it's always going to be rooting like a hog, maybe big steerable outboards could make it go where you want. And even without the cabin trunk, it's always going to be ugly & awkward.

I also think that even 1,000 gallons of epoxy is not going to fix CDX ply, the creeping soggs are always going to haunt this "boat." And you can keep the aft steps just for laughs, might make a good drunk test.

Gotta go with James on this one. At some point your better off just starting over, and FH seems to be miles beyond that point.

I can't see FH being put to any commercial use because it will never pass a survey, thus never be insured.

No commercial use does not mean it's useless. It would make an OK private houseboat. It will disintegrate over time, as all boats do. Should I once again post the pic of the crappy plywood that has been out in the weather in my yard for at least a decade?

So we have not heard from Hot Rod in a while. Anybody know what he is up to?

Probably in prison.

Or he finally decided no one here was going to give him any free stuff so he moved on.

Yah that finger biting incident didn't likely just go away. Assault is a serious charge and once the cops are called and a report filled, its not necessarily just up to the victim anymore.

they aren't throwing anyone in prison around here for little things. Can't afford it.

So we have not heard from Hot Rod in a while. Anybody know what he is up to?

A common theme with psychopaths is that when reality catches up with fantasy, they simply change realities.

He's "elsewhere."

they aren't throwing anyone in prison around here for little things. Can't afford it.

Yeah, they need to keep the space available for all the druggies.

yeah, before that they would just hang you

BTW you don't get prison for finger biting (unless it's your third strike) that's county time

750px-California_Prison_Population.svg.p

Priso, county lockup, the operant idea is incarceration. Maybe HR had AIDS and spread it to the guy he bit, that would push it beyond a "little thing." I see they let Michael Jackson's former doctor out two years early. He never made it to prison either, and looks like they decided they needed the space for someone who is actually dangerous. Maybe HR got his bunk.

Well, this pic doesn't show any tits, but here's my favorite coffeemaker!

normal_20061105_013.jpg

Yeah, the LBFM Model 101 makes great coffee, no doubt about it.

You geniuses here recommending to "upgrade" the FH. . .do you really have that much contempt for hydrodynamics? Or are you merely ignorant of what a proper hullform looks like?

It wouldn't matter if you polished it until it glistens, you've still got a turd on your hands. There is NOTHING that can be done to salvage this shit stew and make it healthy and edible when it was started with those ingredients. The correct answer is to throw it out, learn from mistakes that were made, and try to do a better job next time.

I agree that there is no value to the boat, except as a curiosity. However, the hull shape is way down on the list of problems. It probably has 30% more drag than a well-designed mutlihull of similar displacement. That is trivial in the grand scheme of things. That just means it needs two ~65hp outboards rather than two 50hp outboards, or he goes 10% to 15% slower. Sinking is a huge concern. Motoring 15% slower is not.

As a general rule of thumb, a square block has about 1.5 times the drag of a well optimized hull at Fr=.5 assuming the same displacement and length. That extra drag typically results in a boat that goes about 15% slower for the same HP. That effect is often smaller than the effect of 12-months of fouling on the hull. This is why everyone still builds commercial barges that are extremely non-optimal from a drag perspective.

it wont end up a fryin hawaain, or a whopper or a royale, it will just end when someone shouts ITS A WRAP as they close the paddywagon door. You know youve really pizzed off the law when they omit telling you to duck your head as you enter the paddy wagon and you cop a doorway roof frame right across the middle of your head. Then they slam the door shut on your hand. Then they drive off fast, and slam the brakes on hard and listen for the sliding crashing sound from inside the back of the van. Funny as a fit. lets do it again... Thats what happens when you chomp fingers and go reg army on people Rod. They stop doing you favours.

Then when you reach the station, and they open the van door, they are fully expecting you to try charging out of the van. So they are either standing there with a firehose, or they slam the door shut on you just as you try to step out. And of course they havent put the step back down for you and you are blinded by the waterhose. And you end up flat on your face on the bitumen having freefallen 5 feet to get there...Nothing worse than falling to the ground from a height face first, while your arms are handcuffed behind you, and wondering how many more teeth you will lose this time.

Just hope the end is mercifully quick. I can see your frustrations resulting in another arrest coming soon for you fella. Im actually starting to feel sorry for you. Hmm thats bad mkay.

Your post is so detailed, it sounds like you have first hand experience in this sort of situtation.

Remarkable how that big spike since the 70's coincides exactly with the "War On Drugs" (known by alternate names - Reefer Madness being one).

Keeriste there are a lot of slow learners in positions of authority.

Looks like the prison population could be worse than what that chart indicates. Its based off per capita and my bet is the total population rose in that same time period.

Remarkable how that big spike since the 70's coincides exactly with the "War On Drugs" (known by alternate names - Reefer Madness being one).

Keeriste there are a lot of slow learners in positions of authority.

Take it to PA.

(Where I will point out that people in positions of authority do not necessarily want their authority reduced.)

Looks like the prison population could be worse than what that chart indicates. Its based off per capita and my bet is the total population rose in that same time period.

Umm, per capita means that it takes into account rising population.

I thought the same thing. But because California's population has doubled in the last 40 years that means that the total inmate population has also doubled as a baseline. There are twice as many per capitas so that bumps the total way up.

I thought the same thing. But because California's population has doubled in the last 40 years that means that the total inmate population has also doubled as a baseline. There are twice as many per capitas so that bumps the total way up.

What???

sandcrab...

the prison population has gone from 100 per 100,000 in 1980 to 450 per 100,000 in 2000.

there is no mention (or need to comment) on whether there are 10 million or 40 million residents as the data is per 100,000.....

its a straightforward percentage increase in population....the total population is irrelevant.

sandcrab...

the prison population has gone from 100 per 100,000 in 1980 to 450 per 100,000 in 2000.

there is no mention (or need to comment) on whether there are 10 million or 40 million residents as the data is per 100,000.....

its a straightforward percentage increase in population....the total population is irrelevant.

The total prison population is the point Boston1 was making.