U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

So Hot Rod, using his nav aid or cellphone or whatever, blurred the watermarks on those photos?

I find it a bit hard to believe he would know to do that.

I find it much harder to believe he could actually do it.

You people really are sad. Turning this thread into a play by play account of an ebay and Craigslist ad? Get a fuckin' life!!

That person has been an Ebay member since 2006 with an active history. I find it hard to believe someone would post that boat as a joke using a current active account. This could also be viewed as fraud.

A lot of what James does could be viewed as fraud. How about when he made a web site and used pictures of someone elses boat, rather than his own.

I think some good questions have been raised about the origins of the add, but I'm leaning towards it actually being James. He might have had help with the water marks, and he may not have been using his phone to post the add. They do have internet coffee shops in that area of the world, don't they ? Who knows, he might have even asked the photographer. Although that wouldn't be very James like.

Pretty sure the best thing to do is just sit back and let you guys scream back and forth at one another until the truth become self evident.

You are really stupid if you think either the craigslist ad or this ebay ad are real.

Do you morons really think even the rod would be so dumb as to not have any interior pics on the ebay ad? The only images that have been used are images that have been posted to this site. Hellooooooo. fucking morons.

If you think this is fake, prove it. Bid $80,000

--after all it's fake, right?

Prove it? is this web forum that fucking important to you? do some of you really not have lives outside of the interwebs? far more intricate jokes than this have been pulled off on this site over the years.

regardless of whether it is real or fake, some of you are really pathetic. how many of you have spent hundreds of hours following reid, vann, and now this idiot? go take a damn walk with your family or do something productive. jesus... and it's always the cruising idiots. I remember when this used to be a racing website and we had people who actually raced here. now it's just a bunch of internet masturbators who can't figure out how to rig a west wight potter.

and it's always the cruising idiots. I remember when this used to be a racing website and we had people who actually raced here. now it's just a bunch of internet masturbators who can't figure out how to rig a west wight potter.

Ooh! It's handbags at dawn girls, and the big butch pit-grinders with eyebrows that meet in the middle and never masturbate are on the offensive.

HR will be very offended, as will his mum who's a nice lady even though her night-time habits are not widely known.

;)

That person has been an Ebay member since 2006 with an active history. I find it hard to believe someone would post that boat as a joke using a current active account. This could also be viewed as fraud.

For this reason, I am inclined to think the auction is real. If you look at the feedback history of the seller, it appears the person has done a lot of buying of jewelry and stuff.

Perhaps the account is Mrs. Rod. Photos photoshopped by her or Viking.

You are really stupid if you think either the craigslist ad or this ebay ad are real.

Do you morons really think even the rod would be so dumb as to not have any interior pics on the ebay ad? The only images that have been used are images that have been posted to this site. Hellooooooo. fucking morons.

Prove it? is this web forum that fucking important to you? do some of you really not have lives outside of the interwebs? far more intricate jokes than this have been pulled off on this site over the years.

regardless of whether it is real or fake, some of you are really pathetic. how many of you have spent hundreds of hours following reid, vann, and now this idiot? go take a damn walk with your family or do something productive. jesus... and it's always the cruising idiots. I remember when this used to be a racing website and we had people who actually raced here. now it's just a bunch of internet masturbators who can't figure out how to rig a west wight potter.

^ ^ ^ ^ A ha ha ha ha, this for sure...perfect.

And exactly what were YOU doing when you posted this?

Whatever the fuck is going on with craigslist, HotRods creation has far exceeded my expectations. I predicted it would snap in half in the slings, or at best disintegrate shortly after it hit the water.

As far as anyone knows its still afloat somewhere.

So I doff my hat to the designer and builder and retract my criticism only standing by my initial sentiment that the Flying Hawaiian would never see Hawaii. Apparently, its not as hard as I thought to build a big floating homeless shanty. However, the level of effort far exceeds that of those who simply inhabit the decaying hulks of what once were boats along America's waterways.

I think lost in this recent discussion is just how entertaining (and down right funny!) this thread is. And Reid and his drift-a-thon (and Vann and numerous other 'characters') offer the same entertainment value.

Whenever I need a break I check in here. It's always entertaining, often funny and I always learn something.

Every morning when I get up

I go take a BIG

Look at this thread

then go make sum coffee :)

You people really are sad. Turning this thread into a play by play account of an ebay and Craigslist ad? Get a fuckin' life!!

Oh c'mon. It's either this or aiming a web cam at the raccoon to see if she's getting ready to go hunting!

This thread (and a few others) are admittedly the cyber version of grafitti on public and corporate bathroom walls, but it's still entertainment.

A memorable one from many years ago when I worked at a factory job went like this:

Someone had been picking their nose and wiping it on the stall walls. People began commenting on it with statements such as:

"Kill the Snot wiper" and similar phrases.

Finally, someone had had enough of it or so they thought. They wrote, "People who write on bathroom walls are stupid".

This was gradually followed by, "So are you" multiple times by different authors.

After several weeks, it stopped when someone posted, "So are you and so am I".

Kinda like this thread.

I predicted it would snap in half in the slings, or at best disintegrate shortly after it hit the water.

It was never in slings. He lowered it in on an old mobile home frame and a construction Gradall type forklift.

Whatever the fuck is going on with craigslist, HotRods creation has far exceeded my expectations. I predicted it would snap in half in the slings, or at best disintegrate shortly after it hit the water.

As far as anyone knows its still afloat somewhere.

So I doff my hat to the designer and builder and retract my criticism only standing by my initial sentiment that the Flying Hawaiian would never see Hawaii. Apparently, its not as hard as I thought to build a big floating homeless shanty. However, the level of effort far exceeds that of those who simply inhabit the decaying hulks of what once were boats along America's waterways.

+ a few. I never thought it would last more than a few weeks. That epoxy is good shit.

WTF's a west wight potter? never heard of, let alone raced one of those.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=west+wight+potter

I predicted it would snap in half in the slings, or at best disintegrate shortly after it hit the water.

It was never in slings. He lowered it in on an old mobile home frame and a construction Gradall type forklift.

So he cleverly avoided any possibility of my prediction coming to fruition. Sneaky bastard, that Hotrod.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=west+wight+potter

Well played, I like the self filling Google page :P

no reserve on the auction and it costs money to list on ebay, so I'd say it has to be real otherwise it'd be fraud.

pretty drastic price drops, thou.

Maybe it's time to donate this enormous hunk of shit labor of love so that someone else can enjoy it. All the charities below offer free pickup, 100% tax deduction and some even offer a vacation voucher which could be the ticket to Hawaii.

... ...

That "100% tax deduction" is something to be wary of, and the organizations abusing it will probably bring down the IRS on all charitable orgs.

I happen to be active in 2 junior sailing groups in our town, the high school one will no longer take boat donations unless it is something we specifically want. The other is almost as picky, we have to be... not a week goes by without us being offered a junk boat.

Discaimer first- I am not a tax lawyer nor an accountant, however I have acquired a fairly good working knowledge of the rules as they stand now. If the charity sells the donated item, the donor is entitled to deduct ONLY the sale price. This makes sense, since this is the value of the item as determined by the marketplace. However if the charitable organization USES the donated item for 2 years, then the donor can take a deduction for it's agreed-on value, often the IRS won't blink at replacement cost new. Obviously this rule has lots of room for abuse and it is. Thanks guys!

FB- Doug

From the horse's mouth:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf

Not bad for governmentese... doesn't specify how long "significant intervening use" must be, but it pretty much repeats what I said above only takes 12 pages. The only thing I said which this pamphlet doesn't mention is the circumstances in which you can deduct what the item would cost new; however you can infer it from the explanation of repairs & market value etc etc. FWIW the only donated item I think anybody used reference to brand-new price was for sails, and they were depreciated using "new price" as a starting point.

I actually hire a very good accountant, and he is glad to give counsel on the junior sailing program financial matters. Why get expert advice and then not listen to it?

FB- Doug

Now that "expert advice" line, in this thread, with HR's incredible rejection of any and all advice from experts and others, is some seriously fucking funny shit. Well done.

So he cleverly avoided any possibility of my prediction coming to fruition. Sneaky bastard, that Hotrod.

There's pics of the launch in this thread. Search late May.

Maybe it's time to donate this enormous hunk of shit labor of love so that someone else can enjoy it. All the charities below offer free pickup, 100% tax deduction and some even offer a vacation voucher which could be the ticket to Hawaii.

... ...

That "100% tax deduction" is something to be wary of, and the organizations abusing it will probably bring down the IRS on all charitable orgs.

I happen to be active in 2 junior sailing groups in our town, the high school one will no longer take boat donations unless it is something we specifically want. The other is almost as picky, we have to be... not a week goes by without us being offered a junk boat.

Discaimer first- I am not a tax lawyer nor an accountant, however I have acquired a fairly good working knowledge of the rules as they stand now. If the charity sells the donated item, the donor is entitled to deduct ONLY the sale price. This makes sense, since this is the value of the item as determined by the marketplace. However if the charitable organization USES the donated item for 2 years, then the donor can take a deduction for it's agreed-on value, often the IRS won't blink at replacement cost new. Obviously this rule has lots of room for abuse and it is. Thanks guys!

FB- Doug

From the horse's mouth:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf

Not bad for governmentese... doesn't specify how long "significant intervening use" must be, but it pretty much repeats what I said above only takes 12 pages. The only thing I said which this pamphlet doesn't mention is the circumstances in which you can deduct what the item would cost new; however you can infer it from the explanation of repairs & market value etc etc. FWIW the only donated item I think anybody used reference to brand-new price was for sails, and they were depreciated using "new price" as a starting point.

I actually hire a very good accountant, and he is glad to give counsel on the junior sailing program financial matters. Why get expert advice and then not listen to it?

FB- Doug

Now that "expert advice" line, in this thread, with HR's incredible rejection of any and all advice from experts and others, is some seriously fucking funny shit. Well done.

One of the differences is that I know I'm not an accountant, or any kind of tax expert, yet if I don't do things right, my family stands to lose substantially. HotRod doesn't know what he doesn't know, and when presented with evidence his ego over-rules any expert advice.... generally a recipe for things to come out... well, often worse than they did with FH. He never asked for our advice.

FB- Doug

Man I will be pissed if it ends this way.... I wanted to see the some bitch sail. Come on Rod, throw em up and let god take her down, screw this ebay stuff. Damn the torpedos, Do something with the rutters and go out in a giant ball of glory through the gate........

There's pics of the launch in this thread. Search late May.

Wow has it been that long already! Wonder how the bottom paint is holding up? I would guess with the cold water you guys have out there bottom growth is not too bad?

I would guess with the cold water you guys have out there bottom growth is not too bad?

Guess again. SF Bay water temps are warmer than the Chesapeake's this time of year.

henschel11.jpg

Bottom growth sorta depends on where you are in the Bay. Closer to the GG growth isn't as bad assuming your in a marina that has fairly good tidal flow. Mud flats marina could be a different story though. Alameda growth is faster as in much much faster than say Corinthian YC etc.

I would guess with the cold water you guys have out there bottom growth is not too bad?

Guess again. SF Bay water temps are warmer than the Chesapeake's this time of year.

henschel11.jpg

right you are FB, water temp at Thomas Pt is 56.1 F today, San Francisco is 56.3

But Norfolk is 59.1 and Alameda is 58.8, so now I don't know what to think except maybe water temperature of SF Bay is NOT warmer this time of year.

Man I will be pissed if it ends this way.... I wanted to see the some bitch sail. Come on Rod, throw em up and let god take her down, screw this ebay stuff. Damn the torpedos, Do something with the rutters and go out in a giant ball of glory through the gate........

+1

Hey the Potter Yachters tend to have far more fun than SA peeps working and posting all week on SA.

Don't just look at the low values because there are some high ones too. The mean on your chart is 54.4

Water temps?

Close the thread.

Right- so much less relevant than taxes. :rolleyes:

HR could not sell the FH for enough to build one of these

And I must Ad that I like this !!!!

1422525_10152037093628767_412020403_n.jp

I was checking the Intellicast weather forecast and there is this little ad from Ebay on the side with the caption "Did you forget something?" with that pic of the FH. That link from here was the last time I looked at Ebay. Now it's stalking me! :ph34r:

I was checking the Intellicast weather forecast and there is this little ad from Ebay on the side with the caption "Did you forget something?" with that pic of the FH. That link from here was the last time I looked at Ebay. Now it's stalking me! :ph34r:

Dump your browser history and toss your cookies (toss your browser's cookies, too) to end the automated cyber stalking.

All my ads say Meet COUGARS by You !!!!

I like it :wub:

Google tracks everything about you -youtube posts, Gmail yes private stuff you write in Gmail is filtered they will then use it to sell marketing time to targeted people example you send lots of emails discussing boats Google will track it and target you with Marine content.

Google is probably the closest thing to 1985 today. I bet they even track our location behavior with the Android phone data.

Water temps?

Close the thread.

Right- so much less relevant than taxes. :rolleyes:

Fastbottoms

I think water temps have a much higher relavancy to you than the average person.

Even the average SF Bay sailor and rightly so.

Google tracks everything about you -youtube posts, Gmail yes private stuff you write in Gmail is filtered they will then use it to sell marketing time to targeted people example you send lots of emails discussing boats Google will track it and target you with Marine content.

Google is probably the closest thing to 1985 today. I bet they even track our location behavior with the Android phone data.

....went to chapters recently---found my 'cart' had some very well chosen books already in it :mellow::blink:

It's in the Daytona Craigslist, too.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/4172347432.html

I always get a chuckle when I read this and one of the selling points is "1800 sq. feet inter.". As if it was a house.

But that's the mentality, It is a house, it just happens to float and has sails, so you can do things with your house, like sail it off to some far flung island.

Exactly! I mentioned this thread to a guy(who is also a contractor) who sails with me. He agreed that listing square footage is a house builders point of view. I don't think I have ever seen a boat listed with square footage of interior space as a selling point..

Well there's these guys... :rolleyes:

Ugh. They're building these delightful things again, just under some dumb new name. I ran into the corpulent, surly builder at Strictly Sail Long Beach just the other day. He was already defensive before I even said anything, I guess the poor guy was out of his element there.

Well whoever is selling it for him isn't answering any basic ebay inquiries that the average buyer would make before plunking down that kind of cash.

Was that the sequel to Orwell's 1984? Didn't know he wrote one. Fahrenheit 452 wasn't as good as the original, fer shur. (Published in Europe under the title Celsius 233.)

Did the forecast Tuesday night wind in the bay materialize?

Was that the sequel to Orwell's 1984? Didn't know he wrote one. Fahrenheit 452 wasn't as good as the original, fer shur. (Published in Europe under the title Celsius 233.)

1985 was by Anthony Burgess, and was an awesome dissection of 1970's socialism in the UK.... followed up by resurgence of the monarchy funded by oil rich Islamic gulf states.

not sure which bits would apply to google, but the book is well worth reading. (especially if you enjoyed "a clockwork orange"

Did the forecast Tuesday night wind in the bay materialize?

Not really the system stayed north for the most part we did get some Rain around 6am but wind wasn't that bad. There is talk about some low action generating some wind action later this week again but no rain in the forecast. Water utilities are starting to get pretty worried driest Nov on history at this point all the local lakes are down to mud puddles at this point.

1985 was by Anthony Burgess, and was an awesome dissection of 1970's socialism in the UK.... followed up by resurgence of the monarchy funded by oil rich Islamic gulf states.

not sure which bits would apply to google, but the book is well worth reading. (especially if you enjoyed "a clockwork orange"

LOL - sorry #4 is next to #5 and the phone rang I do work too. 1984 Georges work... All about watching and tracking the general population. In the case of Google they will eventually sell marketing services that will be individually targeted to all people connected to the Interweb thing or not assuming they have a cell phone.

"A Clockwork Orange" - probably my favorite book and film. didn't know he wrote "1985"

plus one!

"A Clockwork Orange" - probably my favorite book and film. didn't know he wrote "1985"

plus one!

Almost 30 years ahead of its time (I remember when 1984 seamed sooo far into the future)

http://youtu.be/A_Jex2bMwWI

So where is the FH now?

Now don't be silly... that topic was pages ago. Please try to keep up.

We've moved well on from the FH, and it's a distant memory.

natural beauty, very nice

If she's a Danish, I'd love to ice her, but I fear she'd be the Finnish of me.

This catamaran is 75 % finished perfect to add your own touches.
The inside of the hulls are 8 ft wide, 6 ft 2in tall, 50 ft long.
Salon: 7ft.1in tall. floor of the salon is 25 ft 8 in by 36ft.,in the salon space there is one installed bathroom that is wheel chair accessible, one small bed room,shop(or storage pantry) helm station, map wall and chart table. The kitchen has a wrap around counter and a t-bar,a glass top kitchen aid on the island in the center of the galley. It has solar panels .5 kilowatt, wind generator .5 kilowatt, LED lighting,1400 GPD water maker,solar water heater,7500 watt inverter sign wave, 3 AD batteries 2 40 amp batterie chargers.16,000 BTU central AC unit. A 200 gallon black water tank, multiple fresh water and gray water, for multiple bath. some parts uninstalled.
Rig: main 52 ft.Lateen style ; mizzen 40 ft. Bermuda style; 7 /16 & 5/16 stainless cable, 1/2 in & 5/8 adjusters. 1600 sq. ft. total sail area.(full set of sails.) jib sail is a kevlar mix, 610 sq. ft. the rest of the sails or made of Dacron. Rig is full custom as well.A bow sprit, standing mast for furuno commercial 72 mile 6 ft array . standing mast for wind generator. there is also a JRC sonar. i will give more equipment details upon request.
There is a lot of custom made pieces that are just to many to list. This catamaran was launch memorial day 2013, it is federally documented for 2011. This is a local pick up. If you would like more pictures please contact me.no refunds and we ask an immediate payment. I reserve the right to end this auction at any time it is locally listed as well.

The description is a bigger piece of fantasy than this thing getting to Hawaii...

Salon: 7ft.1in tall. floor of the salon is 25 ft 8 in by 36ft.,in the salon space there is one installed bathroom that is wheel chair accessible, one small bed room,shop(or storage pantry) helm station, map wall and chart table. The kitchen has a wrap around counter and a t-bar,a glass top kitchen aid on the island in the center of the galley. It has solar panels .5 kilowatt, wind generator .5 kilowatt, LED lighting,1400 GPD water maker,solar water heater,7500 watt inverter sign wave, 3 AD batteries 2 40 amp batterie chargers.16,000 BTU central AC unit. A 200 gallon black water tank, multiple fresh water and gray water, for multiple bath. some parts uninstalled.
Rig: main 52 ft.Lateen style ; mizzen 40 ft. Bermuda style; 7 /16 & 5/16 stainless cable, 1/2 in & 5/8 adjusters. 1600 sq. ft. total sail area.(full set of sails.) jib sail is a kevlar mix, 610 sq. ft. the rest of the sails or made of Dacron. Rig is full custom as well.A bow sprit, standing mast for furuno commercial 72 mile 6 ft array . standing mast for wind generator. there is also a JRC sonar. i will give more equipment details upon request.
There is a lot of custom made pieces that are just to many to list. This catamaran was launch memorial day 2013, it is federally documented for 2011. This is a local pick up. If you would like more pictures please contact me.no refunds and we ask an immediate payment. I reserve the right to end this auction at any time it is locally listed as well.

The description is a bigger piece of fantasy than this thing getting to Hawaii...

When James says 'this is a local pick up' that's as literal and accurate a statement he's ever made. I mean you get the keys where she sits!

I'm betting the 200 Gal Tank of Steaming Crap = Central Heat = Hot Tub :o

I suspect that the ebay post is fake and that this HR thread is a joker not HR. Pretty sure those Ebay picts are picts taken by SA folks who were following the FH and giving updates which case why in the world would HR use those pictures? Also many of the listed items and the spelling pretty sure look to be cut and pasted from our FH thread.

37 minutes left - don't all bid at once!

"bathroom with wheel chair access"

I think the listing is real, maybe with the help of a spell checker or a friend, but what do I know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-custom-private-65-ft-by-32-ft-sailing-catamaran-/200988485287?vxp=mtr

Already re-listed with no price drop. I asked several pertinent questions from my ebay account yesterday, things anyone would ask before plunking down that kind of money. No answers to my questions.

I suspect that the ebay post is fake and that this HR thread is a joker not HR. Pretty sure those Ebay picts are picts taken by SA folks who were following the FH and giving updates which case why in the world would HR use those pictures? Also many of the listed items and the spelling pretty sure look to be cut and pasted from our FH thread.

The first three pics are swiped from here:

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?3806-1st-Known-Aerials-Of-The-Flying-Hawaiian

Someone just smeared out the wording from the bottom left corner of the pics.

"Locally listed" means the bilge pumps are not working as well as could be expected in the hull with the biggest hole. And the rig is full Custom means it is designed to fool Customs into thinking its a sailing boat. Local Pickup means you have to be loco to think you can pick this thing up a second time now that the plywood is soggy. And you get the 200 gallon black water tank fully loaded. HR's free gift to you...

When James says 'this is a local pick up' that's as literal and accurate a statement he's ever made. I mean you get the keys where she sits!