U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

ok, if we are talking about taking pictures of the most recent worthwhile post, I would be more than glad to take pictures of that young woman !! Just send me her address and I'll do it for free as long as she is amenable. (post #9439)

Next, if you are talking about taking pictures of the FH (which has kind of dissappeared from this webpage), go to Jame's webpage. Contribute $10 through paypal. He will send you updated pictures himself.

anybody who is dumb enough to sent HR $10, receive an updated picture and not post it on here for the rest of us cheapskates to see for free, will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

ok, if we are talking about taking pictures of the most recent worthwhile post, I would be more than glad to take pictures of that young woman !! Just send me her address and I'll do it for free as long as she is amenable. (post #9439)

Next, if you are talking about taking pictures of the FH (which has kind of dissappeared from this webpage), go to Jame's webpage. Contribute $10 through paypal. He will send you updated pictures himself.

anybody who is dumb enough to sent HR $10, receive an updated picture and not post it on here for the rest of us cheapskates to see for free, will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

My sister sent a note to some guy named Tony "Carlos Danger", and she received a picture from him for FREE!

I tried skimming the thread for this, but did the esteemed naval architect Hot Rod mention why he is selling this floating pig house rather than trying to get to Hawaii and dying in the process?

I tried skimming the thread for this, but did the esteemed naval architect Hot Rod mention why he is selling this floating pig house rather than trying to get to Hawaii and dying in the process?

He's Flat Broke...

He's Flat Broke...

Odd that building a 65'x32' catamaran for ocean crossings would cost a lot.

All the new 65' cats are $2 mill +. They say that you can build a boat for about half of retail. So when I build my 65' cat I plan on having 1 million in the bank. :P

hmm secondhand ankers dont come cheap. Speshly when the anker strings keep chewing through. Can you imagine how horrible it would be to have to live on that thing at anchor, with it lurching one way, then lurching the other way endlessly, and the 200 gallon black water tank slopping about leaking leaking leaking.... and the rudder cable holes leaking leaking leaking, and the patch on the hull bottom leaking leaking leaking, and rainwater coming inside because the deck cambers are wrong..... And listening to the wind shrieking through the rigging, wondering whether you are seconds from a hull tearing crunch......what a fkn nightmare.

Don't forget to set aside about 15-20% of the value each year for expenses

That would be easy

20% of nothing is zero

FB- Doug

hmm secondhand ankers dont come cheap. Speshly when the anker strings keep chewing through. Can you imagine how horrible it would be to have to live on that thing at anchor, with it lurching one way, then lurching the other way endlessly, and the 200 gallon black water tank slopping about leaking leaking leaking.... and the rudder cable holes leaking leaking leaking, and the patch on the hull bottom leaking leaking leaking, and rainwater coming inside because the deck cambers are wrong..... And listening to the wind shrieking through the rigging, wondering whether you are seconds from a hull tearing crunch......what a fkn nightmare.

Not a pretty mental picture.

I am sure the Rod designed in some heat so I do not think it would be cavernous, damp, cold and miserable aboard.

I am sure the Rod designed in some heat so I do not think it would be cavernous, damp, cold and miserable aboard.

Heat = 200 Gal of Black/Brown Steam makes a nice (if unpleasant) Vaporizer :wacko:

The gas grill should take care of the heating needs...

Very disappointing! Post #9439 blanked out on me!

To the subject at hand, an occasional flyby from the quadcopter aerial camera rig currently getting attention here ought to provide some good insights.

Here is more competition for the FH on Craigs List.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/4182329768.html

Makes one wonder how the "Crew Drug Testing" went.

"watch the Am CUP in style" that's pretty funny.

I'm having trouble figuring out in which style one would watch (or have watched) the AC in. The outside is sort of 1962 Bakersfield motel, there is a little bit of Art Deco in the chairs in the saloon, and the rest of the interior is primo 1960s basement rec room with a nautical theme.

I'm not at all sure how well she'd have stayed in the spectator area keeping the race clearly in view with the typical SF Bay breezes,

Does Sausalito allow house boats to be chopped up into condos?

Yes, there is a minor storm. It was worse yesterday. Good news - here is a link to an article in today's Marin IJ re: the FH. Everyone here knows it is for sale, but here is the local slant:

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_24558443/end-dream-homemade-flyin-hawaiian-catamaran-sale-ebay

Yes, there is a minor storm. It was worse yesterday. Good news - here is a link to an article in today's Marin IJ re: the FH. Everyone here knows it is for sale, but here is the local slant:

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_24558443/end-dream-homemade-flyin-hawaiian-catamaran-sale-ebay

...I wonder how this went??.. :mellow: ........

''He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Marin Superior Court. Deputy District Attorney Shawn Spaulding said he faces a maximum sentence of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.''

The end of a dream: homemade 'Flyin' Hawaiian' catamaran for sale on eBay {C}{C}

By Paul Liberatore
Marin Independent Journal

Posted: 11/19/2013 05:13:04 PM PST

{C}{C}

20131119__nmij1120hawaiian05~1.JPG
The 65-foot catamaran "Flyin' Hawaiian" sits stuck in mud in shallow water off Spinnaker Point in San Rafael, Calif. on Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013. (Alan Dep/Marin Independent Journal) Alan Dep

How much is a shattered dream worth?

James "Hot Rod" Lane has listed his at $80,000.

That's the price tag he's put on his "Flyin' Hawaiian," the homemade catamaran he had dreamed of sailing to a new life in Hawaii.

The 65-foot-long, eight-ton behemoth has been put up for sale on eBay, advertised as a "custom sailing catamaran" affording "private luxury." Describing it as "75 percent complete," the ad goes on to say that it's "perfect for someone looking for a project and to add all the personal touches."

As of late Tuesday afternoon, there were no bids.

For the past three months, the "Flyin' Hawaiian" has been anchored in open water off Sausalito, becalmed by the 52-year-old Lane's legal and financial woes.

The Marin County District Attorney's office has filed a misdemeanor charge of battery with serious bodily injury against him stemming from a fight he got into with Loch Lomond Marina Harbor Master Pat Lopez in August, biting Lopez's right middle finger "almost to the bone," according to police. The altercation was over Lane's continuing use of the marina's showers and facilities long after he had moved his boat elsewhere, unable to pay the berth fee.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Marin Superior Court. Deputy District Attorney Shawn Spaulding said he faces a maximum sentence of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine. After the bloody brouhaha with Lopez, he was arrested on an outstanding warrant from Sutter County for failing to appear in court on a charge of driving with a suspended license.

A self-described "new mariner," Lane designed the "Flyin' Hawaiian" himself, despite his relative lack of knowledge about sailing and boat building.

He and his 28-year-old son spent three years putting the bulky, wood and fiberglass sailboat together in the Loch Lomond parking lot, becoming an object of curiosity in the upscale bayside neighborhood.

They were the target of more than 5,400 posts on the website Sailing Anarchy, most of them ridiculing their "Home Depot" vessel. They finally launched their dream boat in the middle of the night last Memorial Day weekend, 18 months behind schedule.

A jack of all trades, Lane envisioned himself and his son sailing off to Hawaii, where they would build sailboats for a living on a plot of land he said was waiting for them in the shadow of Diamond Head.

"This is the beginning of my adventure to make some real money, to be able to relax and live life, to enjoy it," he said at the time. "It isn't about the money, it's about the lifestyle."

In the end, though, it was about the money. Lane didn't have enough to finish the seven-foot-high, 32-foot-wide yacht, or to berth it at Loch Lomond or any other marina.

As far as anyone can tell, the "Flyin' Hawaiian" has never been under sail. Before it found relatively safe harbor in Richardson Bay, it spent a few days stuck in the mud off San Rafael's Spinnaker Point. At the time, a post on Sailing Anarchy called it "a shrine to futility."

Contact Paul Liberatore via email at liberatore@marinij.com

The article mentions that there were

... more than 5,400 posts on the website Sailing Anarchy, most of them ridiculing their "Home Depot" vessel.

yet by my count it is showing 9400... and I seem to recall that there were quite a few posts that were deleted so that people could change the king post order...

The article (published yesterday, Tuesday the 19'th of November) mentions that James Lane (hot rod himself) is to be arraigned in court for the finger food incident with the harbor master.... Court Calendars make it clear it is NEXT tuesday...

LANE, JAMES JOHN 11/26/13 08:30 AM N CR186721A MISDEMEANOR ARRAIGNMENT

What a nightmare.....

Does anyone know why the FH is now 1,800 s.f instead of the previously touted 3,200 s.f.? It looks the same size it has always been.

Either way, at $80K it is only somewhere between, roughly, $44/s.f. and $25/s.f. If it were on land, I'd avoid it because the price is too low - just buying another's problems.

I do recall seeing the FH with a small sail up while it drifted into the rocks the first time. It was visible from my house. The article seems poorly researched for the author did not update anything such as the number of posts here.

Lastly, the court date. See what happens when one bites off more than he can chew?

OK so I'll point out they said 7' tall (with mast(s) ???)

they did nail it Missed by a mile when they said many of the 5,400 post on here were (lets say) Less than Favorable

Should have said as the SA thread comes down the back stretch to 10,000 posts only a Few were Stupid = Believers

I'll bet HR couldn't swap the FH for a small frozen turkey on Black Friday :mellow:

What HR could do is contact

and have them arrange a Viking Funeral on SF Bay

in front of the Raccoon Broadcast LIVE (except in the US, NZ & Ouztrailea

Weather update. It's been storming the last hour or so here in northwest San Francisco. Lots of wind, some strong gusts, along with moderate to heavy rain. Estimating wind speed is not my expertise. Sorry about that. AC races were held just a few blocks north of where I am now. The storm is taking a northerly track and has likely hit Richardson Bay by now.

Weather update. It's been storming the last hour or so here in northwest San Francisco. Lots of wind, some strong gusts, along with moderate to heavy rain. Estimating wind speed is not my expertise. Sorry about that. AC races were held just a few blocks north of where I am now. The storm is taking a northerly track and has likely hit Richardson Bay by now.

Try this local tv station live storm tracker radar link:

http://www.ktvu.com/s/weather/interactive-radar/

Try this local tv station live storm tracker radar link:

http://www.ktvu.com/s/weather/interactive-radar/

Does anyone know why the FH is now 1,800 s.f instead of the previously touted 3,200 s.f.? It looks the same size it has always been.

Either way, at $80K it is only somewhere between, roughly, $44/s.f. and $25/s.f. If it were on land, I'd avoid it because the price is too low - just buying another's problems.

I do recall seeing the FH with a small sail up while it drifted into the rocks the first time. It was visible from my house. The article seems poorly researched for the author did not update anything such as the number of posts here.

Lastly, the court date. See what happens when one bites off more than he can chew?

Actually it is now 1800 sq ft as the basement is now a moon pool.. and doesn't count... :(

he wont be paying any fine, and he wont be receiving any bond. My guess is he will be burning off a short sentence behind bars while the plywood box bounces on the mud half full of water from a bilge pump grown tired of sucking muddy water.

Ugh! Some of the language in that MIJ article is pretty disparaging. Sad.

page_king_50x72_white.png

Looked 100% factual to me.

he wont be paying any fine, and he wont be receiving any bond. My guess is he will be burning off a short sentence behind bars while the plywood box bounces on the mud half full of water from a bilge pump grown tired of sucking muddy water.

Ding, ding, ding

Or-judge buys his BS about how he'll pay of the fine with proceeds of the sale of the FH and the jail sentence doesn't start till January when the judge brings him back in to check the status

What has one got to do with the other?

Its hard to be really mean without being 100% factual.

It would take a real Hemingway to be 100% factual about the FH saga without it sounding disparaging

It's just a misdemeanor arraignment, not a trial or sentencing. That is 6 to 12 months away. He'll get bonded out. Eventually they'll cut a plea deal and reduce the charges to something like disturbing the peace, he'll pay a fine and/or do community service. It's no big deal.

It's just a misdemeanor arraignment, not a trial or sentencing. That is 6 to 12 months away. *He'll get bonded out. Eventually they'll cut a plea deal and reduce the charges to something like disturbing the peace, **he'll pay a fine and/or do ***community service. ****It's no big deal.

* By who and with what ??

** By who and with what ??

*** OK Feed the Raccoon

**** Ya for us but ..............

It's just a misdemeanor arraignment, not a trial or sentencing. That is 6 to 12 months away. *He'll get bonded out. Eventually they'll cut a plea deal and reduce the charges to something like disturbing the peace, **he'll pay a fine and/or do ***community service. ****It's no big deal.

*** OK Feed the Raccoon

A bond is usually 10% of the bail so we are only talking hundreds here. Mom, son, girlfriend, friend will take care of it. They will work out a payment plan on the fine but that's later. It's really just an inconvenience for HR.

*** OK Feed the Raccoon

A bond is usually 10% of the bail so we are only talking hundreds here. Mom, son, girlfriend, friend will take care of it. They will work out a payment plan on the fine but that's later. It's really just an inconvenience for HR.

My worst fear and expectation is that HR has sucked Dry any and All Liquid Assets of his Mom and his Son

Who the Fuck Else is going to pony up a penny ??????????????????????????

Yes you are correct ........................ Ain't Gonna Happen

AND I Must say I Feel Sorry for any and All (investor's evolved !!!)

What will the son and the mother live on now that their government welfare subsidies have been squandered ? And when HotRods accident injury becomes worse with age, how will he be consoled ?

These are the questions that are meant to intrigue us..

Weather update as of this morning the rain is moving out but it seems that we are expecting some very high winds this afternoon as the tail end of this system blows out of the area. From the sounds of it we could have some nasty wind conditions this evening I hope the FH baby sitters have plenty of new anchor line to use because they'll need it as they chaff through the stuff.

JFC, what took the Marin DA so long to charge The Skipper? Was he given time to sail to Hawaii so the Sherriff could go get him there?

whoever would end up with the FH likely is trying to get them to hold off

till it breaks up and gets washed out the Gate

"Then" it shall be on its way to Hawaii and Points beyond (and around)

... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 7 PM PST Friday...

* winds: north 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. The strongest
winds will be west of the Sacramento River and in the northern
Sacramento Valley.

* Timing: today through Friday evening. Winds decreasing slightly
tonight... but strengthening again Friday morning.

* Locations include: Fairfield... Redding... Red
Bluff... Woodland... and portions of the Sacramento Metro area on
the western side of the Sacramento Valley.

* Impacts: broken tree branches and local power outages are
possible... especially in the Delta area as northerly winds are
less common there...

* for a detailed view of the hazard area... visit
http://www.Weather.Gov/Sacramento/hazards

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Wind Advisory means that winds of 25 mph or more are expected.
Winds this strong can make driving difficult... especially for
high profile vehicles. Use extra caution.

How is the Flyin Hawaiin doing in this wind?

whoever would end up with the FH likely is trying to get them to hold off

till it breaks up and gets washed out the Gate

"Then" it shall be on its way to Hawaii and Points beyond (and around)

Courts generally do not give

a shit about what else is going on in your life or who will inherit your problems when trying criminals.

Wind prediction update just given. 38mph blowing to the west out of east. RB is going to be blown out. FH is done no way it makes it to tomorrow along with 50% of the anchor outs in RB

*** OK Feed the Raccoon

Good thing you aren't a bail bondsman, because it sounds like you think it's good business to take HR's hundred and then give the county a thousand. Bondsmen won't work with people who don't have collateral assets and community ties. The pink slip on a rusty harlasaki won't cut it.

For some reason I'm hoping it makes it through the night

it shudd cracked up on the way to splash it

or on a Hot Sunny Day

But I fear it will all happen on a COLD, RAINY, HONKIN Night with no one around to offer help

I hope Mom & Guy are holed-up on land someplace Warm, Dry & Safe

I will NOT like to see chunks of the FH being gathered on the morning News :(

It blew hard enough here that at one point 55,000 people were without power last night. This has to have been a major load test- the anchor(s), rode, cleats, boat structure. Now that it's light, can anyone see how the FH has fared?

SAN FRANCISCO DISTRICT
usace_logo.png

called /\ /\ /\ /\ they know nothing and most telling = Raccoon Not dispatched yet

The FH Lives to Die another Day :mellow:

What will the son and the mother live on now that their government welfare subsidies have been squandered ? And when HotRods accident injury becomes worse with age, how will he be consoled ?

These are the questions that are meant to intrigue us..

There's an assumption being made here; that James was the actual victim of the auto accident. Just because he spent the settlement $ doesn't mean he was the vic. Bet it was someone else's money.

SAN FRANCISCO DISTRICT
usace_logo.png

called /\ /\ /\ /\ they know nothing and most telling = Raccoon Not dispatched yet

Chances are Racoon would only be dispatched for stuff in water thick enough for them to get too. FH would probably need to be removed by backhoe and dump truck after last nights wind storm. Clearly its not sitting up on 101 or we would have seen it in the news already but I'm sure plenty of RB boats are sitting on prime Marin water front right now after last nights blow out.

SAN FRANCISCO DISTRICT
usace_logo.png

Stop wasting our taxpayer dollars!

There's an assumption being made here; that James was the actual victim of the auto accident. Just because he spent the settlement $ doesn't mean he was the vic. Bet it was someone else's money.

CC Cup pics?

When was max ebb last night/this morning?

With the big NNE he could have been double flushed right outa the bay!

Last night there was a good ebb, 4.1 K, at 6:20 PM. This morning at 7 AM it the ebb was 1.9 K

what is the mud suction factor on a flat bottom 65 by 32 foot catabarge half full of water, with or without a harleysaki on the back porch ?

I doubt HR is actually aboard it. Why be on it, at risk of drowning, when there is nothing you can do to save whats left of it and its unsaleable ?

I wouldnt mind betting he has his swag packed and is a long way down the road on his hardleyworthitson already.

And I must apologize... the owner of the image seems to have deleted it from the site where I got it! Most distressing, especially as she was a veritable Goddess of Beauty. (Perhaps he married her... I would have!)

Can somebody just start an 'its sunk thread' when its happens?

Thanks

There's an assumption being made here; that James was the actual victim of the auto accident. Just because he spent the settlement $ doesn't mean he was the vic. Bet it was somebody else's money.

Nope. I'm good.

The FH is fine, still anchored off the Army Corps dock. No sign of distress, no activity when I was there this afternoon.

Will wonders never cease. The name should be changed to El Gato, because this thing evidently has nine lives.

Clearly the wind God's got the wrong boat.

post-180-0-83709400-1385180604_thumb.jpg

F-31 blown off of trailer last night in Alameda

He's an industrious one if nothing else, my bet is he glued and screwed ( yup, and probably drywall screws ) some thicker ply down to the deck and used it as an anchoring point. He can't frame for shit, so I'd question if he beefed up the framing in any effective way, but some ply over the flimsy decking, would tend to do the trick.

Pictures or id didn't survive please ;-)

And I must apologize... the owner of the image seems to have deleted it from the site where I got it! Most distressing, especially as she was a veritable Goddess of Beauty. (Perhaps he married her... I would have!)

Well, a small version of that heavenly form:

Danish.jpg

And some consolating TitZ!

puffies1.jpg

I trust I am now forgiven?

And some consolating TitZ!

puffies1.jpg

I trust I am now forgiven?

yikes! her tits have tits!! that's almost as awesome as three tits!
I thought that was Marty Feldman for a second....

I expect you to replace the drink that just blew out my nose! :D

I expect you to replace the drink that just blew out my nose! :D

Nose flush here too. Hilarious!

post-63290-0-82174700-1385345585_thumb.jpg

Time to move this to another website.

It's a power boat now. Photo from yesterday, Nov 23, 2013