U20guy2

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

PeterOz, come back! It's American rough banter - ozmates should be up to that, it isn't very subtle but it's well meaning and fun!

Nah, subtlety is not one of the pioneer culture's virtues.

Funny thing, many people in other countries like to make fun of Americans (and no wonder) but they don't know diddley themselves. It's a fact that the then-colonies in America were also sent shiploads of convicts and not only that, further shiploads of people who were actually worse off "indentured servants." This was a system whereby white people could be treated worse and paid less than either convicts or slaves.

So there, PO you see we actually have more in common than you thought.

FB- Doug

I just saw this on national news:

This year is on track to be the driest year ever for San Francisco and much of California. Normally SF gets about 20.75" of precipitation and this year they have had just over 4". They usually get 4" in December alone!

No rain means no storms and no wind. The weather gods have smiled on FH.

Been here my whole life this year so far is the driest on record - however we have had similar winters that turned into some of the wettest on record by the time April came around. 1997 was fairly dry and no drama till Newyears night which pretty much flooded the entire state from Fresno North in a 30hr period. FH just gets more time to soften up and soak up that good RB muddy water before things start to get interesting weather wise.

Sheesh! He's a pilot? Is this guy a distant cousin perhaps?

They seem to be out of the same mould.

Soul brothers. Judging by the crew needed to load that cabin on the truck, that thing was built from mild steel. Maybe he should use CDX and epoxy next time.

PeterOz, come back! It's American rough banter - ozmates should be up to that, it isn't very subtle but it's well meaning and fun!

Funny thing, many people in other countries like to make fun of Americans (and no wonder) but they don't know diddley themselves. It's a fact that the then-colonies in America were also sent shiploads of convicts and not only that, further shiploads of people who were actually worse off "indentured servants." This was a system whereby white people could be treated worse and paid less than either convicts or slaves.

FB- Doug

The biggest problem (besides slavery) with the ancestry of the States is that so many of them were fanatical religious refugees. Witness the religious right - you're STILL paying the price for that.

FB- Doug

The biggest problem (besides slavery) with the ancestry of the States is that so many of them were fanatical religious refugees. Witness the religious right - you're STILL paying the price for that.

Most of the religious right in the US is home grown. The peoples who came here fleeing religious persecution have tended to see their kids go mainstream.

Funny thing about that... the US acquired "freedom of religion" thru the expedient of having no church with a clear enough majority to suppress the others. But the effort continues to this day and while we have this freedom, intolerance is generally seen as a sign of devoutness. Most other countries I've visited, religious freedom has come later (or not at all, officially at least) but people seem to have lost the lust to shed their neighbors blood for going to the wrong church.

Sailing the wrong boat, now that's a whole 'nother fight...

FB- Doug

Soul brothers. Judging by the crew needed to load that cabin on the truck, that thing was built from mild steel. Maybe he should use CDX and epoxy next time.

That POS reminds me of the release of Obamacare. LOL !

That POS reminds me of the release of Obamacare. LOL !

Reminds me more of when John McCain picked Sara Palin as his running mate.

post-99161-0-41765600-1387315429_thumb.gif

PeterOz, come back! It's American rough banter - ozmates should be up to that, it isn't very subtlep but it's well meaning and fun!

FB- Doug

Funny thing about that... the US acquired "freedom of vessel choice" thru the expedient of having no vessel choice with a clear enough majority to suppress the others. But the effort continues to this day and while we have this freedom, intolerance for MAC26's, BendyToy's, Haunters, Don'tJeauneau's, Flying Hawaiian, Weird Stowe and others Is generally seen as a sign of devoutness.

FB- Doug

Fixed it FB

PeterOz, come back! It's American rough banter - ozmates should be up to that, it isn't very subtlep but it's well meaning and fun!

FB- Doug

Funny thing about that... the US acquired "freedom of vessel choice" thru the expedient of having no vessel choice with a clear enough majority to suppress the others. But the effort continues to this day and while we have this freedom, intolerance for MAC26's, BendyToy's, Haunters, Don'tJeauneau's, Flying Hawaiian, Weird Stowe and others Is generally seen as a sign of devoutness.

FB- Doug

Fixed it FB

so, another weak cold front coming thru today and it's gonna be windy for a while starting tonight...

-jd

Finally some good data!

And 200 posts til 10K! :lol:

There needs

so, another weak cold front coming thru today and it's gonna be windy for a while starting tonight...

-jd

Finally some good data!

There needs a HR visit, something like Santa, to celebrate. Anybody have spare milk and cookies? Maybe a finger to nibble on?

Over - Under 10K

So the Question/Bet is by the time this thread reaches 10K

will we be talking about the Demise and how it happened OR still about what will happen

how it's about to happen. This thing is the cockroach of the seas.

Well i got nothing. Just feel like i am the last not to post on this thread. So there is my 5 seconds of fame.

There needs

-jd

Finally some good data!

There needs a HR visit, something like Santa, to celebrate. Anybody have spare milk and cookies? Maybe a finger to nibble on?

fingers_zps4e241647.jpg

Over - Under 10K

will we be talking about the Demise and how it happened OR still about what will happen

Well we reached 9600 posts on November 30. so that was 18 days ago. I would say we have 18 more to reach to 10,000. Of course that figure is meaningless if you only have 4 fingers like the Simpsons.

And that 9600th post was posted by........Wait for it.............

DA-WOODY! :P

Shall we have a huge push of meaningless and worthless content to artificially inflate the posting count?

Oh, wait a sec...

That's the soul of this whole thread...

life-is-a-waste-of-time-time-is-a-waste-

Over - Under 10K

Well we reached 9600 posts on November 30. so that was 18 days ago. I would say we have 18 more to reach to 10,000. Of course that figure is meaningless if you only have 4 fingers like the Simpsons.

And that 9600th post was posted by........Wait for it.............

DA-WOODY! :P

and earlier today my previous post was #9800, now it's 9798. Two steps forward and one step back. Would be pretty funny to watch this thread contract until it was just posts by HR and jr.

Wasn't HR suppose to have another court appearance on Dec 16th? Who has the watch?

and earlier today my previous post was #9800, now it's 9798. Two steps forward and one step back. Would be pretty funny to watch this thread contract until it was just posts by HR and jr.

We did the deleting post thing way back with the Mighetto thread. We all regret it now. Preserving the lunacy for future generations is important.

how it's about to happen. This thing is the cockroach of the seas.

After the nuclear conflagration, only the cockroaches will remain. Evolution will start anew...

Wasn't HR suppose to have another court appearance on Dec 16th? Who has the watch?

Another today

LANE, JAMES JOHN 12/19/13 09:00 AM D CR186721A COUNSEL AND PLEA

Another today

Ugh! Poor fellow. Let's hope his Christmas cheer isn't snuffed out by Holiday in Hoosegow!

Right about this time I feel quite a lot of sympathy for the cantankerous crack-pot.

Since launch, he's been knocked down to the floor pretty hard. Sure, it's all been of his own making, but taking the dream this far and then just watching it all crumble away. I imagine his step has lost a lot of its swagger. Gotta be tough.

God bless you, James Lane.

Wind predictions seem to have failed to appear or are running behind schedule. Yesterday evening local weather folks were figuring the low pressure system rolling through would generate some pretty gusty high winds I had my doubts given it looked like it was going south. So far it appears FH has dodged another pretty windy low passing just south of the Bay.

Kinda glad given the neighbor is getting ready to top 30ft off the 150ft red wood that sits at the corner of our yards. Typical low pressure wind direction should send it into the creek if it did come down but in really goofy lows I've seen the wind direction changed up enough to put the damn thing in my yard and across the back of the house. 6yrs ago a similar redwood across the creek lost its top ended up ontop of a neighbor driving down the street behind us pretty bad stuff.

FH hasn't seen the bad winter winds just yet but they have had a taste of what could blow through.

Another today

Ugh! Poor fellow. Let's hope his Christmas cheer isn't snuffed out by Holiday in Hoosegow!

Right about this time I feel quite a lot of sympathy for the cantankerous crack-pot.

Since launch, he's been knocked down to the floor pretty hard. Sure, it's all been of his own making, but taking the dream this far and then just watching it all crumble away. I imagine his step has lost a lot of its swagger. Gotta be tough.

God bless you, James Lane.

what could wrong ?

I wounder about poor o'll MOM ???

would be nice for us to send "HER" something to make HER feel Good for the Holidays

Conditions Must be something HR can't Swindle, Embezzle, Hawk, Borrow or Eat

But where is She ???

Since this thread is used to post random and completely off topic spinoffs as well as tracking the FH I figure this is a good spot to post this.

I am totally digging my new Hobie Dog Avatar! What do you guys think? :D

Since this thread is used to post random and completely off topic spinoffs as well as tracking the FH I figure this is a good spot to post this.

I am totally digging my new Hobie Dog Avatar! What do you guys think? :D

Under the rules posted by (less than) Clean, you need to by an add...

I like my Capricorn Avatar do I need to change it or buy an add?

Probably.

Buy two or more just to be safe...

pled out or bled out ?

What they need is a summary justice dispenser in the back of every police car. A hole in the window with a justice of the peace sitting in the back seat operating the finger lopper. And of course you get it back neatly giftwrapped in case you want to appeal the decision.

Put your credit card in the slot, and insert your finger stub into the cigarette lighter for an optional cauterization of the wound.

No more lengthy court delays. Instead of saying I pled the fifth, you can say I only bled a fifth (of a quart).

Summary justice dispensed and you can be on your way...

Guaranteed it will end unauthorised finger munching immediately.

So whats the current status of the FH? Is the train wreck still in progress?

I see nothing but rumors for the last few pages, and I'm afraid to go back any farther...

So whats the current status of the FH? Is the train wreck still in progress?

I see nothing but rumors for the last few pages, and I'm afraid to go back any farther...

At this point I would not call it a train wreck but just a HUGE miscalculation by Hot Rod because what he has into the FH he could have bought a boat and already been in HI but that has all been well documented already. I feel bad for Hot Rod!

The bottom line is the FH is going to hang out at anker for a while. Even if had for free the amount of money needed to even make her a decent protected waters boat would still exceed her value when done, so I don't see HR selling her unless he can find another HR type guy to buy her. It also appears that HR is out of money and can not fund the project himself. So provided HR maintains her anker lines I don't see her having a spectacular break up at anker like some are predicting. She will be like any other wood boat that is left on her own and not maintained. She will rot from bottom up or top down or probably both and sink in the mud where she is right now. Will make a good reef for fish. Our White Perch would really enjoy her, not sure what you guys have as far as fish out there.

So what does this all mean? The most exciting thing in the near future for this thread and the FH is who will have the 10,000 post...

i'm writing an app now that'll ping me when it hits 9990...

That's what we're reduced to, hoping we hit 10,000 posts? I'm still holding out for a sinking...

+1

4 seconds at best

too bad HR didn't find this link before he got started

too bad HR didn't find this link before he got started

Who knows what that toad wart of a pilot house would look like if "Master Craftsman Lane" applied his "studied 10,000 boats" aesthetic to it?

I plan to delete this post when the time is right...

Quoted :D:lol:

damn, ive been watching the thread since i read the whole thing a couple of months ago, thought we had some new info.....again.....oh well im in for the 10k post watch now.

i'm writing an app now that'll ping me when it hits 9990...

That's what we're reduced to, hoping we hit 10,000 posts?

You are correct!

#9837 - benchmark for tracking the deletes

Good idea - #9838

OT Tech help Please

My neighbor lady keeps asking me for help and my wife is complaining about all the time I am spending over there. I know you engineers out there can help with this challenge.

Here's a photo of what her set-up looks like...

post-9871-0-64579500-1387931629_thumb.jpg

there should be a rule that anyone who posts over 23k of drivel, should have to post pictures of a ho,ho,ho every second post. Bring back the cult of KA and Its Friday.

CIMG8144.JPG

I don't think anyone predicted that thing would still be floating on Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas, Hot Rod!

why the useless posting all of a sudden ???

...that's ironic! :mellow:

I was thinking the same thing...

blank

that made no fucking seance at all :-0

the Fun is about to come for those who've socked up supplies of Drivel :-)

Merry Christmas HR and everybody! I sailed Richardson's Bay today and spied FH lit with Christmas lights. There are 3 strings (red blue, and green) spread across the roofline of the patio, BLINKING red -- green -- blue.

An awesome display of power!

Merry Christmas HR and everybody! I sailed Richardson's Bay today and spied FH lit with Christmas lights. There are 3 strings (red blue, and green) spread across the roofline of the patio, BLINKING red -- green -- blue.

Thanks for the report.

Glad there is some holiday celebration going on aboard.

You forgot to mention whether the porch roof was sagging more yet or not. Did you happen to spy the Harlisaki? Did you sail close enough to hear lil murray pounding on the hull or Guy moaning? ;)

News about Hotrod and his boat thingy, in this thread?

Is that allowed?

Thread foul! Intentional injection of relevant material. 5 post penalty!

Red Green & Blue - the national colors of Southwestern Somalia?? Is HR now officially a Pirate? (and don't anyone tell me you don't have a Southwestern Somalia flag in your stash of courtesy flags!! ).

120px-Flag_of_Southwestern_Somalia.svg.p

JFC, if you guys are going to waste 130 more posts trying to get to 10,000 at least post some Friday-type material for the amusement of the lurkers....

JFC, if you guys are going to waste 130 more posts trying to get to 10,000 at least post some Friday-type material for the amusement of the lurkers....

Ummmm whatever

TGI_Fridays_bldg.jpg

tgifridayscoupons1.jpg

tgi-friday-s.jpg

sometimes it's hard to understand what people request around these parts :blink:

front.jpg?v=2013-12-22-21-21

I saw the FH yesterday - still floating

but the suprising thing is the large number of anchor outs surounding him

like about a hundred, he is not alone, that's for sure

OT Tech help Please

My neighbor lady keeps asking me for help and my wife is complaining about all the time I am spending over there. I know you engineers out there can help with this challenge.

Here's a photo of what her set-up looks like...

attachicon.gifVCR help please.jpg

No worries, I'll get right on that... :lol:

cat logic, pertinent really as most here can't see a resemblance to a catamaran here either

post-19456-0-23219300-1388176185_thumb.jpg

can it make the 2014 party?

why the useless posting all of a sudden ???

Not sure.

Got me on that one.

Best ignore this one.

I didn't buy an Ad,so it may get deleted soon

^^^ Buy an Ad ^^^

Without Guy this thread is Dead

RIP - Guy :(

Without Guy this thread is Dead

RIP - Guy :(

Que? Guy is not dead. Just bored. All is no fun since Mr. Hot started running from Les Autorités.

Center point for a New Years eav's party?

.....in Taiwan,,the boatbuilders have a tradition of building a fine craft,,then burning it as an offering ;)

.....in Taiwan,,the boatbuilders have a tradition of building a fine craft,,then burning it as an offering ;)

I thought you were kidding, but no....

http://taiwantoday.tw/fp.asp?xItem=68767&CtNode=427

Erm...

For the love of god, will someone please just ban Woody so he has the free time to go get the help he needs! What a fuckin' embarrassment of a human!

Erm...

....as the title says.......'' Burning boats ward off plague''..DOES actually seem to be VERY relevant to the 'craft' involved.................there's absolutely -nothing- more 'plague-demon' than this boat!!! :mellow:

-------------------------------------------------------

http://taiwantoday.t...8767&CtNode=427

Burning boats ward off plague

91091652371.gifA Wang Ye boat and spirit money burning to expel plague demons. (CNA)
  • Publication Date:10/09/2009
  • Source: Taiwan Today
  • By Robert Kelly

Folk scholar Edwin A. Winckler once described Taiwan's cultural landscape with the pithy catchphrase “Little Island, Great Tradition.” For by a curious accident of history, much of Chinese, especially southern Chinese, folk tradition has been preserved here as nowhere else.

One of the greatest displays of this tradition, the triennial burning of Wang Ye boats, will be held in the coming weeks at Donglong Temple in the southern port town of Donggang. Rivaling the Ma Zu Pilgrimage for sheer numbers of participants, and the Pingxi Sky Lantern Release for visual appeal, it is a must-see event.

The origins of boat burnings trace back over 1,000 years to the Song dynasty and are connected with a well-studied group of deities called the Wang Ye, or Royal Lords. Numbering in the hundreds, the Wang Ye were once worshipped for an ability to prevent pestilence and disease. Cults to these gods often involved large-scale plague-expelling rituals such as boat burnings.

Wang Ye tend to come in several types, though only two are important in Taiwan's folk tradition: one is the Wang Ye who were historical heroes; the other is the Wang Ye who were real people who died young and were believed to become plague-spreading demons.

Among the former are some of Taiwan's greatest folk heroes, including Koxinga (the Ming loyalist who expelled the Dutch) and Donglong Temple's main resident deity, Wen Hong. Wen Hong was a Tang dynasty scholar later deified for his role in helping save the emperor. The Donglong Temple’s introductory brochure has his full story and it makes for an entertaining read.

The second class of Wang Ye, those who originated as plague demons, is more complex, and only seems to exist in the folk traditions of southern China, Taiwan, and some Southeast Asian Chinese communities. What these deities have in common is that they were once scholars who died young and in rather violent ways—drowned, murdered, buried alive or martyred for refusing to serve a new emperor.

For traditional Chinese, a life cut off in its prime like this leads to a vengeful ghost, one that is particularly likely to spread disease. In the classic quid pro quo so often seen in Chinese folk faith (“I'll pray to you if you don't plague me”), these demons were propitiated with sacrifice and flattered with the title Wang Ye. Over time, like the folk hero-type Wang Ye, the demons too became gods, with one important change in function: now they were seen to guard against pestilence instead of spreading it.

Wang Ye worship was brought to Taiwan during the 17th and 18th centuries, carried in the hearts of the waves of immigrants from southern China, especially Fujian. The first shrines were established on Penghu and Kinmen, and the faith later spread to Tainan, and then to the rest of Taiwan. Donglong Temple, founded in 1706, is one of the oldest centers of Wang Ye worship in the south.

Boat burning festivals reached their heyday in the 18th and 19th centuries, at a time when Wang Ye cults were also at their most popular. The practice spread from Fujian to Taiwan, and varied from temple to temple. In general the Wang Ye were invited to earth in a special beachside ceremony, feasted, and then asked to entice plague demons onto a boat which was then burnt either on the beach or as it was floated out to sea. Boats could be made from paper or wood, and might reach lengths of 100 meters.

Wang Ye worship, and boat burning festivals, began to fade in China in the 20th century, but actually expanded in Taiwan under the early Japanese occupation. Donglong Temple began its festival about 100 years ago. It was a late start, and given the importance of the temple to Wang Ye worship a bit odd. Other temples began their festivals much earlier. Xigang's Qing-an Temple, for example, inaugurated its festival in 1847.

But then Donglong Temple' s main deity, Wen Hong, is not traditionally associated with boat burning. Somehow, in the darkness of time, the cult of the plague Wang Ye got mixed up with his. Does this mean the current festival is not authentic? Not at all. It is a curious mix of traditions, all old, all genuine, and the result is something as unique as it is spectacular.

The first day of the festival is called “Qing Wang” (or “Qing Shui”), which means "Inviting the Gods." It is important to note that the Wang Ye being invited are not Wen Hong, who sits in the temple all year. Instead they are five plague-busting Wang Ye who go by the last names of Zhu, Chi, Li, Mao and Wen. The day before the opening, seven local representatives from Donggang cast divination blocks in the temple to determine which of the five Wang Ye will be this year's leader, or “Da Qian Sui.”

Around noon the next day, the first day of the festival, a procession leaves Donglong Temple carrying Wen Hong and five tablets (representing the Wang Ye) on sedan chairs. On the seashore at Zhenhai Park, they are joined by representatives from other temples carrying Ma Zu (goddess of the sea), Tudi Gong (the earth god), and a host of other deities. As many as 50,000 worshippers and spectators will also attend.

What follows is a fascinating ritual in which the five Wang Ye are called back to earth. First, eight spirit mediums, sensing their presence, record the arrivals by writing their names in the sand. The mediums work in pairs, wielding the sticks used to carry the sedan chairs like pens.

Only the arrival of the Da Qian Shui is important, but the mediums have not been told who it is that year (only the seven Donggang representatives know). The four other WangYe take advantage of this and try to fool the mediums into recording their names in the sand (as if they were Da Qian shui). When the mediums discover that they have recorded the wrong name, they ask the Wang Ye to kindly leave their body as they are waiting for the true leader.

Eventually Da Qian Sui arrives and when this is confirmed by the mediums writing his name in the sand a general announcement is made. There is a raucous clash of gongs, fireworks and music. Da Qian Sui's name is then written on yellow flags that have been carried to the beach by representatives from all the participating temples.

The five Wang Ye, now residing in tablets, are carried back to Donglong Temple on sedan chairs. Along the way, there is music, dancing (including the famous Eight Generals Dance), firecrackers, and a general atmosphere of festivity.

In the temple courtyard, the seven Donggang representatives carry the Wang Ye sedans through a "fire gate." This is the coals of five wood fires, burned in the five traditional directions (north, south, east, west and center) and blessed with rice and salt. After walking barefoot over the coals, the representatives carry the Wang Ye tablets into the temple and place them on the main altar. (For the duration of the festival Wen Hong will have a subordinate position.) Special rituals then take place inside the temple but these are sealed off to the public.

Outside the temple, a priest closes the "fire gate" and dismisses the five direction gods who have been protecting the area. Many ordinary citizens will now take a coal from the fire back home and place it in water or rice that will be consumed as a form of blessing.

(Watch for the second part of this feature on the boat burning festival Oct. 16.)

--Robert Kelly is coauthor of “Lonely Planet Taiwan.”

Copyright © Robert Kelly 2009

Write to "Taiwan Today" at ttonline@mail.gio.gov.tw

Monkey Be Monkey Poo