Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashtestdummy

Best PHRF boat 30 and under

What is the best PHRF boat 30 feet or under  

216 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best PHRF boat 30 feet or under

• J29 MHOB
    • Farr 30
    • Evevlyn 26
    • Catalina 27
    • other(please list)

ya know i have had this same dilema. i had a J27 for 5 years drug it all around Texas to regattas. wore myself out. did not sail for 5 years then bought a Catalina 27. the Catalina was fine for what it is, but did not compare. sold it after 1 year. now debating on J29 or Santana 3030GP. i think i am going to buy the Santana, newer and less money. hope this helps. B)

ya know i have had this same dilema. i had a J27 for 5 years drug it all around Texas to regattas. wore myself out. did not sail for 5 years then bought a Catalina 27. the Catalina was fine for what it is, but did not compare. sold it after 1 year. now debating on J29 or Santana 3030GP. i think i am going to buy the Santana, newer and less money. hope this helps. B)

Not to familiar with the Santana. What do they rate? Which did you like better?J27 or C27?

the Santana 3030GP rates 114, the J27 is a great boat, has been my favorite of the 6 boats i have owned. i thougt the C27 would satify my need for racing. too slow, cockpit to small for me, i sat to far from the water, my favorite item on the C27 was the bimini??. when i started looking for my next boat-mainsheet in the cockpit, diesel, marine head, rating under 130 and under $20k.

tom

You can't compare a J-27 to a Catalina 27. I had a J-27. Best boat I have ever owned as far as fun/$. It all depends on what you want to do with the boat. I decided I wanted to do more cruising and the J-27 was not the right boat for that. I should have kept the J-27 and just bought the cruising boat. It is cheaper and you will have better results to have a cruising boat and a race boat than to try to do both with one boat.

i had a J27 for 5 years drug it all around Texas to regattas. B)

Is that how the verb "to drag" is conjugated in Texas?

then bought a Catalina 27.B)

I guess it must be "drugs" in Texas to buy the Catalina 27 after a J-Boat :D

i had a J27 for 5 years drug it all around Texas to regattas. wore myself out. did not sail for 5 years then bought a Catalina 27. the Catalina was fine for what it is, but did not compare. B)

What???? :o your local PHRF committee had no sympathy? :o

Just kidding... :D:D ..Santana 3030 is an all-round classic with a little more in the accommodation than the J. I guess it comes down to what you do with the boat when not racing.

The S2 7.9 is probably one of the best performing, evergreen small PHRF boats

2 questions:

What do you want to spend?

What is the rating band you want to fit into?

This will help you narrow the list.

You might consider:

Hobie 33 - a small 33 footer if there ever was one.

Olson 30/29

J/29 MHOB

J/27

Andrews 30 and 26

Implulse 26

Evelyn 32-2 - it is a small boat really...

Wavelength 30

Adhara 30 - see classifieds here

Carrera 29s in all there different forms

Santana 30/30 in its various forms

Davidson 29 - one for sale in Seattle

S2 7.9 and 9.1

Olson 911

Hotfoot 27 and 30

Henderson 30

SR 27

X99

Laser 28

There are a ton of relatively cheap boats that could work..... thought you can narrow it down by rating and price...

2 questions:

What do you want to spend?

What is the rating band you want to fit into?

This will help you narrow the list.

You might consider:

Hobie 33 - a small 33 footer if there ever was one.

Olson 30/29

J/29 MHOB

J/27

Andrews 30 and 26

Implulse 26

Evelyn 32-2 - it is a small boat really...

Wavelength 30

Adhara 30 - see classifieds here

Carrera 29s in all there different forms

Santana 30/30 in its various forms

Davidson 29 - one for sale in Seattle

S2 7.9 and 9.1

Olson 911

Hotfoot 27 and 30

Henderson 30

SR 27

X99

Laser 28

There are a ton of relatively cheap boats that could work..... thought you can narrow it down by rating and price...

Well I have owned a Ranger 29 and melges 30. So now I need something in the middle that you can get away with sailing with friends on beer can races and not being lapped. Price I would say under 30000 but that is just to narrow the choices down. Want a traditional chute and preferrably a head, not porta-pottie, and a few places to pass out if I decide to sail to a bar on some island!!

And is can't be ugly(evelyn 32)

Why dont you try looking for a Santa Cruz 27, inexpensive, and a lot of preformence for the money....

As has been mentioned above,

what is your price/performance/comfort level?

I own an E26 because it was super cheap, and fit the rating band that i wanted to race in. Not the best looking boat out there or the best built, but we have fun and that is the whole point isn't it?

Otherwise gotta go with

J/29 MHOB

Laser 28

J/27

Wavelength 24

you are who I think you are, so that makes me have to ask why you are asking this question? Getting rid of the Farr?

If you think hard you'll know who I am......... Hows' making progress?

Agreed Evelyn 32 not the best looking boat out there.

Olson 30/29 are great - very capable boats - though none came with heads to my knowledge - though a couple of owners put them in. Not the most comfortable boats to sail though

J/29 would work, though slower...

If you had a Melges 30, I suspect there are boats that will not feel responsive enough - say Cal 25s (not that I have anything against Cal 25s).

You might want to lok for a boat rating faster that about 125-135 and something either light enough, or powerful enough to have a bit of feel.

you are who I think you are, so that makes me have to ask why you are asking this question? Getting rid of the Farr?

If you think hard you'll know who I am......... Hows' making progress?

nope.. maybe I will just get a windsurfer and phrf that

Still takin care of the baltic?

Have to ask your buddie JC about running those #s........ for a winsurfer that is!

I'm sure they could come up with a nice # however arbitrary and capricious the process may be!

Still takin care of the baltic?

Have to ask your buddie JC about running those #s........ for a winsurfer that is!

I'm sure they could come up with a nice # however arbitrary and capricious the process may be!

haha!!!

I have never used this before so I had to try it out with a few topics. I am surprised at how many people view these threads in such a short time

what are you up to these days

There's an Evalyne 26 in the seattle area rating 188, wins pretty much everything, everyone bitches about the rating too. I raced against her this year, she beat me in everything except for wind under 8 knots (I was on a 23' rating 187). Hotfoot 27's here beat the evalyn boat for boat, but they're rating in the 140's to 150's range depending on spinnaker, so they lose in the corrected category. I know the hotfoot has a head, and is fairly roomy inside for it's size. Very stable, easy to sail yet good performing boat, have a few in the bellingham area now with a growing fleet.

If any of you know anything about getting a PHRF rating on a sailboard, for real, i'd be interested to hear it. I'm planning to take up the sport and wouldn't mind pissing off some of the yachties next summer ;)

and is that with ....... or .....without lifelines? :rolleyes:

workin what else?

Work has gotta be the worst of the four lettered words!

Evelyn 26 rating 188? That sounds like a license to steal.

I rate 162, there is another E26 in my fleet campaigned by a "sailmaker" that rates 165..... I think there were a whole bunch of variations, between them, there was Mast head and frac, Inboard and out, OD and Morc........ take your pick.

On the other hand all of them are getting to be over 20 yrs old and depending on how they were cared for they have either aged well or not.

Ranger 29. An oldie, but a goodie. Cheap too.

Got to agree with that- nothing like the sight of a J/30 owner's face when the Ranger beats it over the line! And for what, 10k or less?

CF 27 is a PHRF killer if you live in a place that has lighter wind. If you can find one buy it!

If you live a place that has more wind and you want a good priced PHRF boat go with the Olsen 30. They are fast and fun. The price is VERY Good. There are several REALLY fast boats in Seattle for incredible winter prices!

I have a Catalina 27. It is a great boat for the family to cruise and to race PHRF. We did very well in our area with it. We tried to get a class together but could not get more than three to four boats out. It will be up for sale come spring time. In Long Beach it rates 198 most other area's it's a 204 I still would beat Ranger 29, Catalina 30 boat for boat.

CF 27

but the big enchilada.......................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

.........................................Cal 20........................................................

Go ahead and start flaming!

go to www.pickledish.com and you'll see.

If its consistensy you are looking for, IMHO set up right the J/27 is hard to beat for that, great in light air, stable, strong, very fast in a blow, and reaches really well. Its built strong and will take care of you. With the wind 20-30 knots she is rock steady downwind, surfs beautifully.

It rates from 123 to 129 depending on location and can be sailed to it. A 4hp kicker is fine if you need it, otherwise just sail it everywhere.

Agreed a CF27 is hard to better in the below 8 knot conditions and will sail circles around pretty much all the boats above (cept the J/27 but I'm biased) Above 8 knots CF27 will be much slower relatively and above 12 knots its history. Rounded sections make it much less forgiving downwind in the upper ranges, so i'm told.

I am figuring out my plans for next boat too.

My plans include some PHRF racing, as well as some family & friends type cruising with the occasional overnight:

Santana 30/30

S2 9.1

J/30

If I were looking at racing only, I'd look at:

Olson 30

Express 27

J/27

Impluse 26

Some useful info:

http://www.sailingworld.com/sw_boatsgear.j...rchTxt=&author=

Dovovan 27

Mark that.

And when you can't find one, buy a J-27. It doesn't get any cheaper than that.

-- Q

What about a melges 30. They look like a blast. I have only seen one--at chicago mac. It raced phrf A. Didn't do so well but looked like a rocket.

definitely fast, especially the turbo's.

won key west a few times

might be a little more expensive than your average 30 phrf, though

So, my advice is to stay away from boats not designed for racing first and foremost. Besides, a single purpose racing boat is cheaper than a dual purpose racing/cruising boat. (Why buy that stainless steel barbeque just to leave it home in the garage?)

I have all sorts of stuff from my racer/cruiser stored in my garage. The reason is so the boat is lighter and it keeps the stuff from aging in the salt and sun. When it's time to sell the boat then all the like new junk goes back on the boat.

What about a melges 30. They look like a blast. I have only seen one--at chicago mac. It raced phrf A. Didn't do so well but looked like a rocket.

definitely fast, especially the turbo's.

won key west a few times

might be a little more expensive than your average 30 phrf, though

Melges 30

Mumm 30

Henderson 30

They would all be cool but I don't think you will get any of them for $30K

Hasnt been brought up yet and sure to be flamed. But a deep draft tall rig Catalina 30 isnt a bad choice. they are a dime a dozen to find, three to four man crew it easily, standerd chute, every where i seem to race around america i seem to see two or three on the course. inside isnt bad. and its not a total winnebago with a mast. and besides he said PHRF not oh my god race boat. Hobie 33 even when i was a kid and uncle was selling them on the great lakes it wasnt comfortable down below

get a ben first 285 with tall rig and deep keel, trick it out, wolf in sheep's clothing, lots of stuff down below and if you know what you are doing you will sweep up phrf races

I am biased I love my J 30. She rates 142 where I am. I race her shorthanded with wife and once in a while a third person on board.

She is somewhat tippy and needs railmeat above 10 knots ( which I dont have ) but still its an awesome boat.

Besides she is not loosing any value ... she was sold for 28000 new and you will find that most better boats are still the same price today.

PLUS that the wife really likes the room inside. Enough to go cruising for a couple weeks for sure. I race with heavy table and all kinds of junk ( lol dont let the admiral hear that ) in the cabin, still won the club championship in my first year having her.

She points like a dream ... downhill she feels a little heavy when you race without spinnaker, but you can make up on the upwind legs ( we race olympic course only )

Olson is a great boat too and I liked the 28 laser ( wife did NOT )

Thor

I have a J/27 and it's been a great boat for PHRF beer can racing (and occasional summer party/day sails). Out of your list, I would go for the J/29 MHOB, and might consider a J/29 over a J/27. Particularly as there is more likelihood of finding a J/29 to race against than a J/27 in most places.

Only complaint about the J/27, which doesn't apply to the J/29, is I don't like the configuration in the back of the bus for the driver for racing (the inset seats and splash rail). But it's an excellent performer, and I can't think of anything else against it. We can frequently finish ahead or beside Olson 30s sailed by excellent crews which rate 30 seconds faster under PHRF. As others have said, the J/27 is fantastic value for money, and fits nicely in the middle of the rating split for many local fleets. Likewise for J/29. The build quality if the J's is excellent, and they are still in great shape long after most boats are very tired.

Speaking of good value for money, I do like the Olson 30s. Almost bought one a couple of years ago. I've raced on them, and race against them all the time. Only complaint is they are rather tired boats. But great for their age.

Have just purchased a Mumm 30 to add to the collection. It's killing me, but I haven't been able to put it in the water yet - will do over the holidays. Likely will alter my perspective on <=30' boats, but it really should be sailed one design. Hence the J/27 stays for local PHRF racing.

188 for the E-26, no wonder it wins everything. SE Florida had them at 168, and they still one their share.

7.9, trailer anywhere, and be competive.

If you want some cruising ability also - the S2 9.1 is hard to beat. It's a pretty comfortable boat to sail and I found it relatively easy to sail to it's rating in most conditions. Plus - in the time since I was racing one, they bumped the rating up 3 seconds so it would be even better now now.

Nice head, plenty of berths to crash in, and standing headroom. It's a big 30 footer...

If you can stretch the length a little, A Ranger 33 would fit your other requirements. Well within budget with new sail inventory. Your thought on the Cat 27 would work because tricked out they will easily sail to their rating but winning in such a slug may not be gratifying. Two of the best under <30 ft'rs are S2 7.9 (see elsewear on site) and the Ranger 26. ........... All of the above are fun off the race course too! My $.02

Evelyn 26 is a great boat. I just got one and I love it. It sails great in all conditions (to its rating 165), is super low maintainance and was cheap to buy.

Dude a guy here in sarasota has a Evelyn 26 and gets his ass kicked all over the place.The reason to that is because they are always stoned.Seems to help me sail faster though.

The handicap of 188 for the Evelyn 26 is from PHRF Northwest. Remember that you have to divide that by 1.1 to get back to the same scale that everyone else uses. Therefore the NW 188 is equivalent to a handicap of 171 for the rest of the world.

John

The handicap of 188 for the Evelyn 26 is from PHRF Northwest. Remember that you have to divide that by 1.1 to get back to the same scale that everyone else uses. Therefore the NW 188 is equivalent to a handicap of 171 for the rest of the world.

John

Does that boat rate in your "How to Find a PHRF Racer with a "Cupcake" Rating" article?

A well sailed Cat27 will collect it's share of trophies. But you will have to accept that by the time you finish, the free beer/food is long gone at the after race party.

The E-26 in the PNW is still rated too slow, no matter how you divide it. They are racing against very well sailed boats, and winning pretty much every race. I watched them make some terrible mistakes during a race, ones which should have put them dead last, and their competition sailed briliantly, and they still won... with the bbq fired up grilling something during the downwind leg. Seems to me something's off there, either that or I really want one.

So let's see -

CF 27 - check

Soverel 33 - check

Cal 40 - check

Winner of the PHRF Cup Cake award seems to go to the Evelyn 26. Now just think if you spent a $100,000 Gucci-ing one out????

DC, are you listening? We've found your next boat. The E26 is every bit a sexy as Cotton Blossom.

The Idiot

Laser 28. I probably sound like a broken record, but I reckon this is the best racer cruiser under 30 feet. Nice interior, room for wife and 2 kids to weekend, sails well in all conditions, screams off the wind, surfs like a pro. I love this boat. Rates anywhere from 126 to 132 depending on the area.

Laser 28. I probably sound like a broken record, but I reckon this is the best racer cruiser under 30 feet. Nice interior, room for wife and 2 kids to weekend, sails well in all conditions, screams off the wind, surfs like a pro. I love this boat. Rates anywhere from 126 to 132 depending on the area.

agreed; i hadnt been around many (or any) until this past season, and was suprised how quickly they moved.

Lindenberg 26.

LOVES heavy air, moves fast in moderate, and does well in light air if you keep weight forward. A killer boat when well sailed (as demonstrated by Esso Bee winning the Black Seal Cup at the 2003 Southern Bay Race Week in Hampton, VA).

www.lindenberg26.org

Judge

"New wave" I think racing against them would be a loose term at best - don't they have to show up for you to race against them? I saw that they didnt even leave the mooring on sun of the NEs........ wonder why that was? Or was it cause they got banned from using the launches?

Gotta say that Laser 28s are great boats. I crew on one sometimes, it just goes like hell and is built like a tank. Kinda sticky in the light stuff verses the Frers 33s, but a great boat nevertheless.

I second the express 27 vote. But then again I am biased, I own one. They are fun to sail and have done well in PHRF. A few years back one got a 3rd in (PHRF) class down in key west.

Lindenberg 26.

LOVES heavy air, moves fast in moderate, and does well in light air if you keep weight forward. A killer boat when well sailed (as demonstrated by Esso Bee winning the Black Seal Cup at the 2003 Southern Bay Race Week in Hampton, VA).

www.lindenberg26.org

And a frickin huge interior for a 26 ft boat, a true 6ft headroom, quite cruisable. Another Linenberg that would fit the profile is the Wavelength 30,we had one in the fleet and it was faster than a well sailed J27 and most of the time it would beat a well sailed J29 MHIB over the line,they both rated 114 in our class, like the L26 it had great all around performance while having a large interior with decent headroom,there are precious few boats that offer the whole package.

olson 29 or 30 29s are rare... been doing alot of research and for the local venue and rating its da bom

we dont worry about down below its a "sailboat" not a liveaboard

Boston - Looking at the PHRF Hingham Bay results, didn't New Wave beat Wharf Rat every time you guys met, and also in the Champion's Series? I would call that "racing" as loose as you feel like using the term.

To me it doesn't matter if we won or lost last year since I only raced the boat for three weeks before the summer was over. We got our asses handed to us at PHRF NE due to tactical mistakes, not boat handling.

We didn't go out on Sunday due to broken engine and handicapped crew members. It had nothing to due with the launch since we had the loft Whaler up there as a shuttle. Either way, the Evelyn 26 is a great boat for the money and I am greatly looking forward to competing next summer. I also talked to a guy who has an E 26 and he said that he will race against us. Cheers.

check the Ross 930. There are a few in PNW and I always had fun with the head.

Hasnt been brought up yet and sure to be flamed. But a deep draft tall rig Catalina 30 isnt a bad choice. they are a dime a dozen to find, three to four man crew it easily, standerd chute, every where i seem to race around america i seem to see two or three on the course. inside isnt bad. and its not a total winnebago with a mast. and besides he said PHRF not oh my god race boat. Hobie 33 even when i was a kid and uncle was selling them on the great lakes it wasnt comfortable down below

"Hobie 33 ".......You're facking joking...right??

just bought a Santana 3030GP for $16K, boat and sails in good condition. will take delivery in a couple of weeks.

i am looking for some daysailing sails, any out there?? :)

tom

just bought a Santana 3030GP for $16K, boat and sails in good condition. will take delivery in a couple of weeks.

i am looking for some daysailing sails, any out there?? :)

tom

Good pick up. That is a fantastic boat. :)

the best one really depends on what is popular at your local yaucht club were you race. If theres alot of kirbies get a kirby, alot of J's get a J etc... that way you're kind of racing one design

junior

Got to agree with that- nothing like the sight of a J/30 owner's face when the Ranger beats it over the line!

PJD... Dem's fightin words!

Hey chiguy- coming to LIS anytime soon?

I'm surprised that none of the downunder boys has thrown the Young 88 into the mix. Good all round boat with strong class racing in NZ and Oz. Don't know if there are too many of them floating around in the northern hemisphere though.

I don't think you could call yourself a true kiwi sailor till you had set foot on one at least once! :P