Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drakeborer

luxury and speed?

Nice big banner on the front page about the MConaghy MC 2 60. Anybody know about the boat? Looks kinda aggressive for any sort of cruising. Are they hopin to tap into the Gunboat crowd?

Would love to see some more definite pix, plans, specs etc

Looks pretty hot. Faster than the Gunboats for sure - and a fair bit cheaper. But suspect it will be much more "involved" sailing - many of us might like that, but it might get old on extended cruises (at least for some). Other potential issues with cruise-ability: Amenities and space - those hulls look quite narrow and there is a lot of empty space in the bow areas...

Looks pretty hot. Faster than the Gunboats for sure - and a fair bit cheaper. But suspect it will be much more "involved" sailing - many of us might like that, but it might get old on extended cruises (at least for some). Other potential issues with cruise-ability: Amenities and space - those hulls look quite narrow and there is a lot of empty space in the bow areas...

Uhmm, 'empty space in the bow areas' is exactly how you get performance in a cruising cat. Filling everything with more staterooms is what you do with a charter cat, not a genuine cruiser. I can't even begin to imagine having to cruise with 6 or 8 or more folks on board. And with 60 feet loa, there's still plenty of capacity to carry the amenities 'needed' for cruising, provided you don't get carried away with dish/clothes washers, dryers and trash compactors. If you don't want to be so 'involved' while you're on passage, it's really okay to shorten sail and still make better speed than most cruisers.

There was another 50 foot performance cruising cat that was labeled a Gunboat killer at half the price. It showed up in Antigua this year at Sail Week. It was not even close against the Gunboat 62's and 66's even on corrected time. I guess it's the highest compliment to Gunboat that everyone wants to have a Gunboat killer! I'd suspect the next generation of Gunboats designed by Nigel Irens will be very, very good.

Uhmm, 'empty space in the bow areas' is exactly how you get performance in a cruising cat. Filling everything with more staterooms is what you do with a charter cat, not a genuine cruiser. I can't even begin to imagine having to cruise with 6 or 8 or more folks on board. And with 60 feet loa, there's still plenty of capacity to carry the amenities 'needed' for cruising, provided you don't get carried away with dish/clothes washers, dryers and trash compactors. If you don't want to be so 'involved' while you're on passage, it's really okay to shorten sail and still make better speed than most cruisers.

No shit, Sherlock. Speak of stating the blindingly obvious. Now read my post again and compare the MC 2 60 to the Gunboat along the dimensions I mentioned (interior volume of the hulls, percentage of usable space vs. empty space) and tell me that those design decisions do not affect cruise-ability. It is a trade-off/choice between comforts and speed potential - and in this case a completely conscious one, driven by Raph's intended usage profile.

No shit, Sherlock. Speak of stating the blindingly obvious. Now read my post again and compare the MC 2 60 to the Gunboat along the dimensions I mentioned (interior volume of the hulls, percentage of usable space vs. empty space) and tell me that those design decisions do not affect cruise-ability. It is a trade-off/choice between comforts and speed potential - and in this case a completely conscious one, driven by Raph's intended usage profile.

At the risk of stating the obvious (gawd, I shua don wanna do dat agin). It appears that the murky area is your definition of cruise-ability. I followed your advice and re-read your post. Help me out, are you stating that cruise-ability is a function of space? amenities? What amenities or lack thereof in the MC are missing that so affect this cruise-ability you speak of? I assume (yep, that's dangerous) that cruise-ability is the ability to cruise. I easily cruise with similar amenities to the MC 60 but in far less speed and performance, ergo, she's still cruise-able. But to each his own.

At the risk of stating the obvious (gawd, I shua don wanna do dat agin). It appears that the murky area is your definition of cruise-ability. I followed your advice and re-read your post. Help me out, are you stating that cruise-ability is a function of space? amenities? What amenities or lack thereof in the MC are missing that so affect this cruise-ability you speak of? I assume (yep, that's dangerous) that cruise-ability is the ability to cruise. I easily cruise with similar amenities to the MC 60 but in far less speed and performance, ergo, she's still cruise-able. But to each his own.

I ordered MC60 no 2 simply because it suited my needs the best. I was going to build a custom 60 footer as I have built many multihulls over the past 40 years and I've enjoyed the process but it's very time consuming and I realised that my current work commitments would not allow me to spend the time required to study all the alternatives available today. McConaghy's was my preferred builder of the custom boat and when they became involved with Raphael Blot and his RB60 as it was then I started to look more seriously at this boat and I visited the yard to inspect the full size mock-ups they have built and I was really surprised at the room on the boat. After talking to Raphael Blot and the designer Renaud Banuls, I realised that this cat met almost all my requirementsand an enormous amount of detailed work had gone into the design and drawing up the specifications.

The same could be said for the Gunboat 60 but they really are two different boats, they simply share the same length overall. If you look at the specifications of both boats you can see that the MC60 is much lighter at 8.9t vs 16.2t for the Gunboat with smaller sail areas and considerably less loads throughout. I wanted a boat that was light and easily driven, easy to sail and above all, it had to be reliable. We intend to cruise this boat extensively so it had to be easily serviced in any remote areas and devoid of all gadgets that seem to give so much grief in the tropics.

There is no perfect boat and in fact the last Gunboat 66 was bought by another Australian before production ceased in Sth Africa so it's up to individual customers to decide what's important to them and choose accordingly

http://www.mc2catama...260/dimensions/

http://www.gunboat.com/60-specs.php

Would you let advertising and glossy brochures make your decision for you.

Every boat is made up of different elements - how these elements suit a particular owner is personal

Another person can poorly judge the decision of the owner when criticizing the completed project.

Even when completed, the owner is aware of issues which should have been made different.

Every boat is a compromise, due to the very different personalities of owners

this makes it really hard to have a one design fleet.

If you look at the specifications of both boats you can see that the MC60 is much lighter at 8.9t vs 16.2t for the Gunboat with smaller sail areas and considerably less loads throughout.

It will be interesting to see the number actually showing on the scale, when the finished product is finally hanging in the slings before the splash ;-))))

42.jpgBullet proof,14m Schionning G-force.Built light and simple,but with the ability to cruise in comfort if slightly minimilistic.Bloody quick boat.cover1.jpg

Attitude at 17m has every concievable piece of crap on board and is just another boat.

Speed V Comfort/Crusability are relative.

I'll take the Bullet anyday.

I ordered MC60 no 2 simply because it suited my needs the best.

wo hoo

what a boat!

when's delivery?

Great choice of boat. This may be the first apples to apples Gunboat killer.

Great choice of boat. This may be the first apples to apples Gunboat killer.

Perhaps we just need a gunboat to venture down this way.

Dont know if there are any Gunboats being built for oz but as you can see the choice of local designs is right up there with the best of them. Great choice Tony. Best of luck. Cant wait to see one in the flesh.

What's the ballpark cost of an Mc? (IYDMMA)

Close to USD2 million or so. Bit lower of you are quite frugal, but can go as high as you want to - beauty of the semi-custom concept. Reckon that is a fair bit of boat for the money.

Our primary focus at Gunboat is building performance cats that can cruise around the world in luxury, with shorthanded crew, and in absolute safety. It is the combination of these parameters, and the trade-offs chosen, that make Gunboat special. The space that we occupy in the realm of ratios (power to weight, disp/length, etc) is exactly where we wish to be. After a million plus Gunboat sea miles on all oceans, the space we occupy for our stated purpose is pretty well refined and proven. While our reputation may be for outright performance, our focus is really about attaining that sweet spot for offshore cruising where you achieve great daily mileage on all points of sail, yet everyone feels comfortable and safe at all times, with one person able to handle the boat with ease. This is what we do best. The racing has been purely for fun, and the results have been nice.

I like Banul's design work. The Lightspeed, SIG and now this 60 are all very interesting projects. If you speak with Hunt, Hugo or Tony, I think you'd find very different objectives to what Gunboat does. I welcome these boats as they all highlight the benefits of a well executed multihull for differing purposes. All of these efforts help broaden the market. A rising tide floats all boats.

Tony, good luck with your boat. I would enjoy a sail on it when you launch.

How does the helm viability work on this MC60? From looking at the renderings I am confused if the helmsman is going to be able to see over the cabin house? If line of sight is obstructed by the house, then this is actually a safety issue. Please tell me that I am wrong, and there is not a massive bind spot to leeward when driving from the windward helm.

The boat looks really sexy and I cannot see it on the water.

I ordered MC60 no 2 simply because it suited my needs the best. I was going to build a custom 60 footer as I have built many multihulls over the past 40 years and I've enjoyed the process but it's very time consuming and I realised that my current work commitments would not allow me to spend the time required to study all the alternatives available today. McConaghy's was my preferred builder of the custom boat and when they became involved with Raphael Blot and his RB60 as it was then I started to look more seriously at this boat and I visited the yard to inspect the full size mock-ups they have built and I was really surprised at the room on the boat. After talking to Raphael Blot and the designer Renaud Banuls, I realised that this cat met almost all my requirementsand an enormous amount of detailed work had gone into the design and drawing up the specifications.

The same could be said for the Gunboat 60 but they really are two different boats, they simply share the same length overall. If you look at the specifications of both boats you can see that the MC60 is much lighter at 8.9t vs 16.2t for the Gunboat with smaller sail areas and considerably less loads throughout. I wanted a boat that was light and easily driven, easy to sail and above all, it had to be reliable. We intend to cruise this boat extensively so it had to be easily serviced in any remote areas and devoid of all gadgets that seem to give so much grief in the tropics.

There is no perfect boat and in fact the last Gunboat 66 was bought by another Australian before production ceased in Sth Africa so it's up to individual customers to decide what's important to them and choose accordingly

http://www.mc2catama...260/dimensions/

http://www.gunboat.com/60-specs.php

need crew? lol

Attitude at 17m has every concievable piece of crap on board and is just another boat.

Yep, but the point is its just another boat that suits the owners. They just spent a bit of time cruising the Solomons, The boat was built to a couple's cruising home as as well as a sometime racer. The owners are very happy with it, and that Is suppose is all that matters. They spent the money - they chose the compromises. And to be pedantic its 16.2 metre. I just followed the Yacht tracker for surf to city and Mojo a 15 metre g force was first multi home, did very well, but it doesn't even have windows/portlights in the hull, so it wouldn't be much fun to cruise on, but thats the nice thing about spending your own money, you decide where the compromise is.

Perhaps we just need a gunboat to venture down this way.

Dont know if there are any Gunboats being built for oz but as you can see the choice of local designs is right up there with the best of them. Great choice Tony. Best of luck. Cant wait to see one in the flesh.

[/quote from Y-Bar]

This Gunboat 62 just arrived in Pittwater over the last few weeks, Cucu Belle, seems to be based in the British Virgin Isles

Does anybody know anything about it.

post-43968-081089900 1326546863_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Tony C, If you need a skipper and gourmet chef to have your vessel ready to sail anywhere you desire, Fran and I will be back from our honeymoon and available about your time frame. Glad to see you have finally got yourself a Multi with some room as well as performance. Cheers. PS you will be one hull short!

Cucu Belle is the 2nd GB built, 6202. It was originally Safari. There's a listing for it on Yachtworld, but it was sold about 9 months ago. Not sure if it is for sale again or if the listing is old.

Cucu Belle is the 2nd GB built, 6202. It was originally Safari. There's a listing for it on Yachtworld, but it was sold about 9 months ago. Not sure if it is for sale again or if the listing is old.

Thanks SOMA, its always interesting boat watching through the Christmas season in Syd (S2H and New years) as the new boats come and go, and many cruiser come south to get away from the cyclone season. There is a 70 ft red Proa (Gaia) in Pittwater, with European home base, but built in Urungan (Nthern NSW)

Many Ex french hire cats (I supposes from New Cal)are appearing along the eastern sea board.

Veeger your very correct in saying "to each to his own". We have no dunny, nor do we have hot water or even running fresh within the boat! You'll find a fresh water shower on the aft deck along with the bucket ;-) and a pipe berth inside that feels more like a coffin. But we have had the time of our lives cruising from Newport R.I. in the middle of winter to Tahiti and all on an old formula 40 Tri. Oh and Ballast Technician the "Involved" sailing is what we love when the winds are light and when it's not we just shorten sail and take it easy. As they say "what ever floats your boat"

Thanks SOMA, its always interesting boat watching through the Christmas season in Syd (S2H and New years) as the new boats come and go, and many cruiser come south to get away from the cyclone season. There is a 70 ft red Proa (Gaia) in Pittwater, with European home base, but built in Urungan (Nthern NSW)

Many Ex french hire cats (I supposes from New Cal)are appearing along the eastern sea board.

Saw it yesterday - first time I've seen it sailing - I imagine its not great around the cans!! Would love to see them tack it though - its a big section..

post-23152-091459400 1326691794_thumb.jpg

The latest construction gallery photos on the website show interior fit out detailed pics... I think they are still close to keeping their dec 2012 launch date. If I recall they were building two of these mc60s at the same time. Lots of great multihull choices for 2013.

Gunboat has a great line of boats, now the mc60 and hopefully Luca will start build of the sig 60 soon. Frers is also entering the market with an ocean explorer 60? model which is in build. Maybe we will see the 60 ft catamaran class become the hot trend for next few years. Good luck to all and look forward to their coverage on SA.

Bump

Just noticed this thread.

Has the MC60 launched yet?

Yes, the MC²60#1 is now sailing in Hong Kong. The MC²60 #2 start sailing in Hong Kong as well in August.

Pictures on www.mc2catamarans.com

We're expecting a matchup between the MC60 and the new GB55. Phuket anyone?

The gunboats are pretty slick but as I have pointed out before they are quite heavy due to the fact that they cater to the condo performance cruiser crowd.

If you want a 60' + Go fast cat that will luxuriously accommodate 5 people and 2 crew there are better options