• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PL3

Bravo Italia

16 posts in this topic

Some very good technical people on the team list, should be a great challenge!

Was there - a few pictures for the time being:

75749586.png

8b04e097.png

e64adfc7.png

Francesco "Checco" Bruni

fdb06328.png

Davide Tagliapietra, Massimo De Luca, Richard Korpus. Giorgio Provinciali (rumored to be back as Luna Rossa's VPP man) had already left.

d2ba0d35.png

From their FB page. Good progress, first boat to be launched mid-February

Great site, huge team, excellent qualifications. GAME ON!

B

What's the thinking behind the Italian wing shape? Shown in the diagram on the above link

Leading Edge for their wing?

post-21748-099613700 1330996928_thumb.jpg

What's the thinking behind the Italian wing shape? Shown in the diagram on the above link

I understand the initial two boats (trainers) will get simple, AC45-style wings. The third boat will add lead element plain flap ... beyond that, they aren't saying.

I understand the initial two boats (trainers) will get simple, AC45-style wings. The third boat will add lead element plain flap ... beyond that, they aren't saying.

There seems to be quite a bit of money behind this program. 4 boats between now and the I4C in 2013, plus a pretty big team by the looks of it.

Could it be to get more of their sail area higher up for better wind?

If you look at the diagram, you'll notice that the previous C-class designs appear to have a 2-3 panel type wing shape, although Canaan is much closer to elliptical than the others. The idea presented by challenge italia looks pretty darn close to full elliptical (i.e, most efficient planform), with some exceptions. There is still more area at the bottom than the top compared to an ideal planform shape, but that is needed to keep the righting moment low. Of course, this is all much speculation, the ideal planform shape aerodynamically can be achieved using proper twist (essentially flap settings on a C) and airfoil selection in conjunction with a multi-panel wing shape. The Italian entry looks to be more difficult to construct than the others but they look to have a comparatively unlimited budget so...

Interesting read, contradicts basic theories and goes straight to the hardcore stuff. Will be fun to see what the next generation of C-Class and AC72 wings looks like!

Interesting read, contradicts basic theories and goes straight to the hardcore stuff. Will be fun to see what the next generation of C-Class and AC72 wings looks like!

It was a great read. I had run in to it before. I am anticipating the 2013 I4C more then I am the 2013 AC even though those will be 72' beasts. You will also have more competitors at the I4c then the AC.