• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Te Kooti

Volvo Boats In For a Thrashing

The new Ocean Racing Magazine is out, with stuff about the VOR (Groupama) and this time only a bit of AC(WS): http://www.ocean-racing.net/

Considering the title of the magazine, and the AC is not an ocean race, I am surprised the AC is mentioned at all in the magazine.

For me, it would be like expecting a magazine called "F1 Racing Magazine" to have articles about NASCAR in it. :lol:

WetHog :ph34r:

There was (still is) a lot of ACWS stuff in the previous magazines, which astonished me at that time. That's why I was mentioning that it is not in the recent one. Shouldn't be, actually, so you are right as such.

EDIT: What broke on Camper?

The new Ocean Racing Magazine is out, with stuff about the VOR (Groupama) and this time only a bit of AC(WS): http://www.ocean-racing.net/

Considering the title of the magazine, and the AC is not an ocean race, I am surprised the AC is mentioned at all in the magazine.

For me, it would be like expecting a magazine called "F1 Racing Magazine" to have articles about NASCAR in it. :lol:

There was (still is) a lot of ACWS stuff in the previous magazines, which astonished me at that time. That's why I was mentioning that it is not in the recent one. Shouldn't be, actually, so you are right as such.

EDIT: What broke on Camper?

What broke on the tracker?? Nothing doing at the moment.

According to the data set though, Camper is fine - no significant gain or loss.

Ahha...here we go.....

The night's biggest mover and shaker PUMA have stolen the lead from CAMPER, who had survived the heart stopping "bang" and explosion of a tack line to hold the lead, before losing it to Ken Read's men.

Camper has the lead again now though

25 Apr 2012, 16:56UTC

Technical problems affect Race Tracker information

m15185_crop18_608x404_13326606951C51.jpg

Hamish Hooper/CAMPER ETNZ/Volvo Ocean Race

We are currently experiencing technical problems with the Race Tracker which is showing no positions or information.

Our technical team is working on fixing the problem and we will resume normal service as quickly as possible.

We apologise for the inconvenience, but please refer to the Race Dashboard HERE for updated three-hourly positions.

Camper back in the lead by just under 3 miles , light fluky air across the track , fun to watch but not so much to be there :D

Yea, but being surrounded by smiling dolphins is a good omen for Camper.

Abu coming to take the lead .4 behind camper , tele giving up on the low road for the moment and coming up to Puma's line who still appear to have the best route for now .

Looks like Puma was in the proper spot after all . Third to first in one sched and now a 19 mile gap on second and third. I wonder if those guys all pack anti acid pills on board? VOR racing not good if you have ulcers and if you don't start with them you might end up with some.

Puma has tacked North ahead of the fleet and has reached better pressure - extended their lead on Grants Fire Engine to 17 miles.

Although 56 miles back Groupama seems to have resolved their speed issue.

Camper-AD match race report

"We crossed only five or six metres ahead of CAMPER'S bow just as darkness broke. It's not often in ocean racing you find yourself in this sort of proximity to a competitor hundreds of miles offshore.

"Both on watch crews managed to get a few verbal jabs in before we rolled them and they headed to the east for a large cloud line."

Looking at the photo, they were close enough to swap food and recipes as well.

post-18089-009578800 1335488562_thumb.jpg

I am still in Puerto Rico where the trades (and sunshine) are a predictable feature of every day (and night).

They will be flying when they get up here.

You staying at the Horned Dorset ?

If not you should at least go their for dinner and a drink in the open air bar overlooking the beach.

One bit of news I came across related to the round the world race is that Peter Blake's Whitbread winning yacht, Steinlarger II has been bought by the NZ Sailing Trust and will be returning to Auckland next week.

http://www.theauckla...d-back/1357574/

240412AKLSPLSTEINLAGERII_t300.JPG

That's great news, and very generous of the owner Stefan Detjen to agree to sell it back.

That's great news, and very generous of the owner Stefan Detjen to agree to sell it back.

Yes, it should never have left in the first place.

But great to get it back.

Is Groupama still using its jury rig?

No mate!

Their shore crew brought a new rig to Itajai.

And fitted it there.

However, with their current "speed problem" people are wondering about this No. 2 rig.

Just a short story that may or may not interest you (it will probably sound like a piece by TK without the cultural bit, tho).

Currently I am in Barcelona, and - of course, as I am a woman - visiting Camper stores. I left quite a bit of money in two of them, and what I found most astonishing is that the sales girls all knew about the VOR campaign, and they seem to be proud of their company's engagement. One even knew that the team is from NZ.

Camper itself has the boat's and the skipper's pic (Indio would puke wink.gif) on the bags, as well as the team and boat featured in their recent catalogue. There is a dedicated Camper in the VOR branded corner in every shop, and with every shoe purchase one gets a Camper/ETNZ branded backpack (the cheap one that's more like a bag) as an addon.

All in all I am happy and positively amazed how Camper is using the sponsorship for their PoS activities. Well done!

"Both on watch crews managed to get a few verbal jabs in before we rolled them and they headed to the east for a large cloud line."

"Verbal jabs!"

Naughty!

Some of those words now banned from AC racing?

Just a short story that may or may not interest you (it will probably sound like a piece by TK without the cultural bit, tho).

Currently I am in Barcelona, and - of course, as I am a woman - visiting Camper stores. I left quite a bit of money in two of them, and what I found most astonishing is that the sales girls all knew about the VOR campaign, and they seem to be proud of their company's engagement. One even knew that the team is from NZ.

Camper itself has the boat's and the skipper's pic (Indio would puke wink.gif) on the bags, as well as the team and boat featured in their recent catalogue. There is a dedicated Camper in the VOR branded corner in every shop, and with every shoe purchase one gets a Camper/ETNZ branded backpack (the cheap one that's more like a bag) as an addon.

All in all I am happy and positively amazed how Camper is using the sponsorship for their PoS activities. Well done!

Very, very interesting!!!

Hey Grant, did you see this???

+1, it is very interesting.

GD described in a recent interview from Naples about the SKYY sponsorship how, conversely to what one might expect, the current economic climate has caused certain companies to focus on maybe 4 instead of 12 areas, or teams. And how even though the overall sponsorship budget may be lower, those 4 get better.

That may or may not be true of Camper but it's great that they have that much focus on ETNZ either way. The AC campaign part will likely get special focus too.

Puma still in the lead , Camper's gain has halted but Tele still gaining and less than a half mile out of second . Funny thing is at the moment all boats in 11 kts of breeze, same point of sail , but tele doing two kts faster ? Damn blue boat .

+1, it is very interesting.

GD described in a recent interview from Naples about the SKYY sponsorship how, conversely to what one might expect, the current economic climate has caused certain companies to focus on maybe 4 instead of 12 areas, or teams. And how even though the overall sponsorship budget may be lower, those 4 get better.

That may or may not be true of Camper but it's great that they have that much focus on ETNZ either way. The AC campaign part will likely get special focus too.

It just goes to prove that if you have a credible product or team, you will pick up sponsors who are keen to get on-board.

If those weather/wind charts are accurate, Camper hangs in on the reaches okay now but as soon as it goes further aft, she accelerates; (fastest in the gang at the moment) and hence the re-pass on the Telephone.

It got close there for a bit but Puma is slipping away for the moment . Camper second with Tele on their hip. Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

too much effort wasted posing for reality tv cameras, quite obviously; it overrides and destroys all else, why not this too?

It got close there for a bit but Puma is slipping away for the moment . Camper second with Tele on their hip. Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

Last I checked their data seemd to show speed. Tracking error?

Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

too much effort wasted posing for reality tv cameras, quite obviously; it overrides and destroys all else, why not this too?

WOW someones panties are in a bunch . Having fun yet ? :P

Most of the boats are showing hull speed even or 1 to 2 Kts above wind speed where Group seems to show 1 to 2 kts slower . Granted they are in different weather being over 100 miles behind but I haven't seen them make a positive move mileage wise in a long time

Seems to be up and down, but they have redefined the rear of the fleet for most of the race. Something seems out of place.

Seems to be up and down, but they have redefined the rear of the fleet for most of the race. Something seems out of place.

Not so often that we can all agree, isn't it ? :)

It's unfortunate facts can be so elusive, but no surprise when drama, BS and agendas enter the picture.

It's unfortunate facts can be so elusive, but no surprise when drama, BS and agendas enter the picture.

I think Group have slipped a little over 35 miles in the last 24 hrs . They did an overboard check to aee if anything was amiss but nothing showed up . Must be frustrating as hell .

What happened to Camper?!?

Navigational brain fart?

After trying to get east of the fleet, they finally get there...and then decided to go back west?!

I think Group have slipped a little over 35 miles in the last 24 hrs . They did an overboard check to aee if anything was amiss but nothing showed up . Must be frustrating as hell .

The onky objective reason I can see is the new mast, either too stiff, too flexible, not adapted to the sails or the mast rake that changed ? strange and frustrating to go from one of the fastest boat with Tele, to the slowest one.

Kazzam Azzam is now over 100 miles back of Puma. That boat is a complete dud. Will a credible challenge for the next VOR even bother using Farr? Can't see why.

3000 mile match race, video

http://etnzblog.com/...mile-match-race

At least in the VOR we get to see some match race pictures wink.gif.

Looks nice out there.

In Puerto Rico (east of Cuba) the weather is very predictable.

Sunny!

With 20-25 k trades going day and night.

Easy to see why people from northern latitudes like to live here.

Although VOR boats are getting closer, by the time they get into this neighborhood, I will be gone.

At least you find your MR heaven, get your rocks off, in a VOR 3000 mile race leg, in boats not suited or even designed at all for MR'ing. ;)

I'll take the high-intensity ACWS version of MR'ing instead. Just because we did not get to see them, on top of the >2 full hours(!) of live ~and re-playabe~ action from every race day, much of it raw and direct off the boats, does not in any way mean that the MR's are not being contested for. Xlot said that a lot of it was shown live, in Italy, on national television. And, we see the results as proof it is a very big part of the schedule.

If you want to keep arguing that the whole ACWS is just a waste of time, then why all the desperate hunger by everyone here including from you and me for more coverage of it?

If you want to keep arguing that the whole ACWS is just a waste of time, then why all the desperate hunger by everyone here including from you and me for more coverage of it?

^

Because it should be detached from the AC.

ACWS is more to give a job to sailors than representative of the AC.

Also, I still do not buy, what some syndicates may say, that it helps them find sponsors. Distraction of time, focus and money for the teams.

However it is a good show that should exist in parallel with the AC, which will most probably happen when the cup will be transferred.

^ The ACWS serves several purposes; it is not an either or situation.

The same is true of the 'detachment' that you propose. There's just no doubt in my mind that without all the AC connections in boat type (winged cats), hopeful teams, race courses, common officiating, etc, that it would lose significance and be relegated to such AC-meaningless series as RC44's, M32's, D35's, X40's, or worse for being just another regatta. All those strong AC commonalties and connections help; it's why Bertarelli said he bought so big into it. That guy put his billionaire bucks where his big mouth is.

At least you find your MR heaven, get your rocks off, in a VOR 3000 mile race leg, in boats not suited or even designed at all for MR'ing. ;)

I'll take the high-intensity ACWS version of MR'ing instead.

I think we have that figured out by now.

No need to drive that point into the ground, again and again.

Seriously, let it ride. It's beyond old at this point and quickly approaching the "ANY yacht" argument.

Comrades ... you have been found guilty of talking AC on a Volvo thread!

Naughty!

Anyway, Camper is closing on Puma. Only 7 miles back.

It seems like Marcellino's baby goes well down wind.

Are you suggesting some humble pie is in the oven ?

Dunno!

Depends on who is first into Miami.

Camper seems to be performing a lot better since the Chile pitstop but the cat is scratching its way to be first into Miami.

I'll take the high-intensity ACWS version of MR'ing instead. Just because we did not get to see them, on top of the >2 full hours(!) of live ~and re-playabe~ action from every race day, much of it raw and direct off the boats, does not in any way mean that the MR's are not being contested for. Xlot said that a lot of it was shown live, in Italy, on national television. And, we see the results as proof it is a very big part of the schedule.

Apparently and on the contrary to you I am interested in more than one sailing discipline, event, series. I like multis (tris more than cats BTW) and monos, I like MR and FR, ocean racing and inshore. For me, this sport is not either/or but as-well-as. That's why I cannot understand that you belittle the VOR and the WMRT for example while every omission and failure of the ACWS is just as intended/wonderful/exactly what we need. I cannot follow anymore, apparently we have a different view on the sport of sailing and will not reach a common level. Never mind, as I am enjoying the diversity of this sport so much, and do not really care what and how much others enjoy.

My issues with the ACWS are - and I am only repeating what I've been posting for ages, so actually it should have sunk in by now:

- big promises initially, partial delivery in reality - against better advice

- abusing the AC name for the WSL, as now clearly shown by the differences between both events.

The WSL should be decoupled from the AC and everything would be fine. We could see, if teams would go on participating (I think most would) and if it is financially viable. Isn't it actually very sad that a great idea like the ACWS has to hijack (the name of) another competition to be successful? While a boring mono series like the RC44 is growing year after year. And the inventors of the stadium racing, EXSS, prosper and can perform on sponsorship and entry fees. And that that oh so stupid WMRT and its events get title sponsors, while others blame the current economical situation for their failures. A look into other series can help to get a bit of perspective every now and then.

And to disprove your allegation once more that I think the ACWS is a waste of time:

I enjoy the sailing and the broadcast of the ACWS as much as of the WMRT, many other series and the VOR, and now back to the latter:

Camper going back (sched 07:05 UTC)?

If you enjoy the WMRT can you explain how and why it should cost US$40,000 to get a tour card?

Apparently and on the contrary to you I am interested in more than one sailing discipline, event, series. I like multis (tris more than cats BTW) and monos, I like MR and FR, ocean racing and inshore. For me, this sport is not either/or but as-well-as. That's why I cannot understand that you belittle the VOR and the WMRT for example while every omission and failure of the ACWS is just as intended/wonderful/exactly what we need. I cannot follow anymore, apparently we have a different view on the sport of sailing and will not reach a common level. Never mind, as I am enjoying the diversity of this sport so much, and do not really care what and how much others enjoy.

My issues with the ACWS are - and I am only repeating what I've been posting for ages, so actually it should have sunk in by now:

- big promises initially, partial delivery in reality - against better advice

- abusing the AC name for the WSL, as now clearly shown by the differences between both events.

The WSL should be decoupled from the AC and everything would be fine. We could see, if teams would go on participating (I think most would) and if it is financially viable. Isn't it actually very sad that a great idea like the ACWS has to hijack (the name of) another competition to be successful? While a boring mono series like the RC44 is growing year after year. And the inventors of the stadium racing, EXSS, prosper and can perform on sponsorship and entry fees. And that that oh so stupid WMRT and its events get title sponsors, while others blame the current economical situation for their failures. A look into other series can help to get a bit of perspective every now and then.

And to disprove your allegation once more that I think the ACWS is a waste of time:

I enjoy the sailing and the broadcast of the ACWS as much as of the WMRT, many other series and the VOR, and now back to the latter:

Camper going back (sched 07:05 UTC)?

If you enjoy the WMRT can you explain how and why it should cost US$40,000 to get a tour card?

What's the connection between enjoying to watch and understand the organizer's decisions?

What I can imagine is that the WMRT has a business plan that relies on sponsors and entry fees (tour cards). As there is no B to back the tour it makes sense. Does it have to be $40,000? I don't know, saving money elswhere would probably make them cheaper. I am sure that if you come up with a sponsor that covers the tour card fees they will be distributed for free.

OTOH, high entry fees are also a means to deliberately limit the number of participants, to not allow "also-rans" in. Just guessing the reasons here.

No connection on the watching. My point is very simple. It does cost $40,000 for a tour card and sadly the good guys don't do it which makes good old Gilly look like the theif he is. Where is Torvar now? Local boy?

What's the connection between enjoying to watch and understand the organizer's decisions?

What I can imagine is that the WMRT has a business plan that relies on sponsors and entry fees (tour cards). As there is no B to back the tour it makes sense. Does it have to be $40,000? I don't know, saving money elswhere would probably make them cheaper. I am sure that if you come up with a sponsor that covers the tour card fees they will be distributed for free.

OTOH, high entry fees are also a means to deliberately limit the number of participants, to not allow "also-rans" in. Just guessing the reasons here.

^ The ACWS serves several purposes; it is not an either or situation.

The same is true of the 'detachment' that you propose. There's just no doubt in my mind that without all the AC connections in boat type (winged cats), hopeful teams, race courses, common officiating, etc, that it would lose significance and be relegated to such AC-meaningless series as RC44's, M32's, D35's, X40's, or worse for being just another regatta. All those strong AC commonalties and connections help; it's why Bertarelli said he bought so big into it. That guy put his billionaire bucks where his big mouth is.

Did I miss something?

Or did you type a faux pas?

Looking for Puma to get home first, they seem to have upped their game since the previous leg.

Looks like we have a horse race on our hands now, or is it a match race ? .

Don't mention that here..................................................... :ph34r:

Don't mention that here..................................................... :ph34r:

Too late, has already been mentioned above. laugh.gif

Lets hope it flies under the radar of the AC police.

Oh dear, Camper are running out of toilet paper.

Now, which manual do we tear up first?

Maybe the radar book?

Or some of those compelling reading materials produced foir rae's "cocktail party?"

And AD are running out of food.

Whatever!

If Puma gets to the 'green' arrows first she may be gone. It looks like a nice lane of green up to the islands and into the Carribean. Hit the afterburners!

Lets hope it flies under the radar of the AC police.

Sheesh.. Lol. Hey, it was ETNZ that labelled it as such, in a blog entry above.

And yes, really amazing how tight this is. Got me to downloading the app, even.

Looking for Puma to get home first, they seem to have upped their game since the previous leg.

Upped their game, or hitting their stride?

Seems like they have fully recovered from their mast issue from Leg 1. Hopefully in time to push hard enough to convince Puma to put their name on another boat for Kenny in the next edition.

It is getting tight. Even Group is within 85 miles of the leaders . Thats the closest they have been in weeks .

I think they've got just on 7 days to go so it's still wide open. With the nice weather, the crews will be enjoying themselves as well.

It is getting tight. Even Group is within 85 miles of the leaders . Thats the closest they have been in weeks .

I think they've got just on 7 days to go so it's still wide open. With the nice weather, the crews will be enjoying themselves as well.

Yes there is lots of racing yet to come . Fun stuff indeed.

Jeez ... Groupama hoisted their camera bloke to the top of the mast.

And then winched up Brad Marsh. To be interviewed well above the deck.

Pretty amazing shots from up there! [give him the prize]

Concerning the race, I am rooting for Camper.

But you have to wonder what those Olympic gold medallists on Telefonica have inside their T-shirts?

I am no longer in Puerto Rico.

But am very impressed with the consistency of winds there.

Day and night.

I was at an event where, part of the tradition is for Mexicans to hire the best rooms around and haul out their tequila.

This time it was on the 22nd floor of a Hilton Hotel (in San Juan) with a big walk-out patio thingo.

Even at midnight, those nice cool 20 knot tropical breezes are piling in.

I once sailed from Georgetown (Bahamas) down to Great Inagua. Then down the Windward Passage to Jamaica (Haiti to port; Cuba on starboard).

My mate John (an Aussie) wouldn't put up a sail until it was blowing at least 20k.

It was a former racing boat (a ketch) from Newport and, standing watch at night, I would shut off the self steering, imagine myself in the Volvo race and drive it. THe sweet spot was at about 25 to 27 k of wind.

Pretty memorable.

And I formed a close friendship with their son that endures to this day. He was living on the boat. "Home" schooling etc.

I understand why people from cold climates decide to live among those beautiful islands.

But why does the US maintain an enormous garrison in Puerto Rico?

Cuba is just over there.

Yeah ... right!

But am very impressed with the consistency of winds there.

Day and night.

I was at an event where, part of the tradition is for Mexicans to hire the best rooms around and haul out their tequila.

This time it was on the 22nd floor of a Hilton Hotel (in San Juan) with a big walk-out patio thingo.

Even at midnight, those nice cool 20 knot tropical breezes are piling in.

I once sailed from Georgetown (Bahamas) down to Great Inagua. Then down the Windward Passage to Jamaica (Haiti to port; Cuba on starboard).

My mate John (an Aussie) wouldn't put up a sail until it was blowing at least 20k.

It was a former racing boat (a ketch) from Newport and, standing watch at night, I would shut off the self steering, imagine myself in the Volvo race and drive it. THe sweet spot was at about 25 to 27 k of wind.

Pretty memorable.

And I formed a close friendship with their son that endures to this day. He was living on the boat. "Home" schooling etc.

I understand why people from cold climates decide to live among those beautiful islands.

Cuba is just over there.

Yeah ... right!

Never been to PR, but I have been to Aruba several times and it blew a nice 20 everyday. Cut down on the lizards and it could be a nice place for me to spend the rest of my life.

As for the military presence? For the same reason the US maintains our nice spread in Cuba, because we can. Me personally, it's long since past time for my country to do away with bases on foreign soil. Time for people to take care of themselves and the US to focus inward. Never gonna happen though.

WetHog

Cuba is just over there.

Yeah ... right!

Because if we don't, someone else will, and they might not be friendly.

In the early sixties we had a small problem with some missiles that had nuclear tips set-up on them.

90 miles away from our shores, 'over there', with a dictator threatening to punch the button.

Now, you get all excited when a nuclear powered ship would get near your shores, banning them, I believe. How would you feel with nuclear tipped weapons 90 miles away from Aeotorea, and a trigger happy dictator with an itchy finger? (sorry if the spelling is off)

It's a pain to have to do it, but if we don't, someone else will, unfortunately.