Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Te Kooti

Volvo Boats In For a Thrashing

Well they have Abu more than covered now:

WetHog :ph34r:

I was surprised to see you posting in this "illegal" thread.

And thought I might say something.

But, for the sake of peace, harmony and good governance, will let it go.

WOW!!! Camper flying @ 23 knots averaged over the last 3 hours!! Telefonica not too slow either @ 19.6.

And AD (Ian Walker) has pulled the plug on this leg. Will proceed to Lisbon, get on a ship and have a safe passage to Capetown.

I bet there is a problem in Mast No. 2.

WOW!!! Camper flying @ 23 knots averaged over the last 3 hours!! Telefonica not too slow either @ 19.6.

And AD (Ian Walker) has pulled the plug on this leg. Will proceed to Lisbon, get on a ship and have a safe passage to Capetown.

I bet there is a problem in Mast No. 2.

It's a sensible decision, given they haven't had time to tune in their new mast: no point flogging themselves 6500Nm to get to Cape Town and then have only a couple of days for rest and maintenance.

Yep, and now Telefonica at only 14,2. Camper is flying 8 knots faster ! also, does a better vmg and should get wind a bit longer, so she should be very close to Telephonica within the next 6 hours.

I was surprised to see you posting in this "illegal" thread.

And thought I might say something.

But, for the sake of peace, harmony and good governance, will let it go.

Big difference between an illegal thread, and a stupid one, but whatever. At least in this thread there is a worthy conversation about the race.

The 3 amigos are honking along nicely now taking big chunks out of Groupama's healthy lead. Forecast suggests they should maintain their current average speeds for at least the next 36 hours, bar any breakagesohmy.gif.

The 3 amigos are honking along nicely now taking big chunks out of Groupama's healthy lead. Forecast suggests they should maintain their current average speeds for at least the next 36 hours, bar any breakagesohmy.gif.

Camper is now at only 32 Nm of Telefonica. They narrow the gap as expected.

Now the question is to know if the northern boats will be fast enough to keep up with the system.

However, despite the strengh of the wind, as you can see they cannot take too much to Groupama as Cammas is much better positioned vs the wind, and doing a much, much better vmg.

BTW, it looks like Cammas decided to go west and aim Cape Verde.

Dalts must be gnawing at his finger nails.

Very, very hard for him to watch this from afar.

Although once in washing machine mode (waves continuousy sweeping the deck) who wants to there?

Will be interesting to hear what Minoprio is thinking now?

Camper is now at only 32 Nm of Telefonica. They narrow the gap as expected.

Now the question is to know if the northern boats will be fast enough to keep up with the system.

However, despite the strengh of the wind, as you can see they cannot take too much to Groupama as Cammas is much better positioned vs the wind, and doing a much, much better vmg.

BTW, it looks like Cammas decided to go west and aim Cape Verde.

Cammas looks like he's picked the time to make is run west wioth very favourable winds forecast for the next 48 hours and beyond.

Dalts must be gnawing at his finger nails.

Very, very hard for him to watch this from afar.

Although once in washing machine mode (waves continuousy sweeping the deck) who wants to there?

Will be interesting to hear what Minoprio is thinking now?

For sure now, but all may be gnawing their finger nails when in the doldrums....

Provocative article by Dana Johansen - in the NZ Herald.

Dana Johannsen: Two skippers proves one too many

By Dana Johannsen4:22 PM Saturday Nov 12, 2011 As a great philosopher once said, indecision may or may not be a problem.

Just a few days in to a nine- month race around the world and Team New Zealand have discovered in ocean racing, indecision causes big problems.

After a 12-year absence from the Volvo Ocean Race, New Zealand's return to the event was marked by a less than auspicious start.

It was looking promising enough early on. Team New Zealand's Camper-sponsored boat was the first through the Straits of Gibraltar, having fared the best in the torrid conditions over the first 24 hours.

But upon reaching the open expanses of the Atlantic it was decision time. Left or right?

The pre-race weather data suggested taking the traditional trade route down the African coast was the favourable option for the voyage to Cape Town. But the fleet reached the Atlantic later than their initial forecasting suggested and once they did get there the prevailing conditions tended to favour going west.

It was a difficult call, and Team New Zealand made the costly error of failing to properly commit to a route.

Following the earlier advice, they tentatively headed towards the African coast, but soon found themselves parked up with their window of opportunity to benefit from the weather system closing fast.

Eventually they came to the realisation they needed to break away to the west but the move cost them the lead, sending them to the back of the pack. The team are hopeful this will be just a short-term hit for the sake of long-term gains, but it remains to be seen.

The bigger concern is whether the incident is symptomatic of wider problems on the boat.

Some have suggested that the early indecision is a sign the co-skipper arrangement between Chris Nicholson and his night watch captain Stu Bannatyne is not working.

With Bannatyne initially planning to commit to another team, Camper went ahead and signed Nicholson as their skipper. However, the campaign Bannatyne was expected to head did not get off the ground and Team New Zealand naturally leapt at the chance to sign the three-time winner.

With two experienced leaders on board, the Camper crew adopted a collective team management approach. But is this an effective set-up when decisive action is required?

It's a brutal lesson, but one that is best learnt on the first 500 nautical miles of a 39,000 mile race.

Team New Zealand are confident they can yet recover from their early stumbles. The team have positioned themselves well to pick up the expected strong northwesterly front.

The next 24 hours are shaping up as the defining period of the first leg, with all eyes on whether Groupama's gamble to trek down the African coast will pay off.

After Team New Zealand beat a rather slow retreat from the east, the French team were the only boat to take the coastal route. As of late last night the decision had brought Groupama a lead of 190 nautical miles over second-placed Team Telefonica, who along with Puma and, eventually, Camper headed west.

While it's a case of so far so good for the French, weather forecasts point to a new low pressure weather system that could come in to destroy the trade winds to their south.

While it's a case of so far so good for the French, weather forecasts point to a new low pressure weather system that could come in to destroy the trade winds to their south.

Very interesting article about indecision, which allways cost a battle.

However I don't really agree with the last line. The low pressure is right but the forecast give them enough pressure and vmg to get away, even at half speed.

Provocative article by Dana Johansen - in the NZ Herald.

Dana Johannsen: Two skippers proves one too many

By Dana Johannsen4:22 PM Saturday Nov 12, 2011 As a great philosopher once said, indecision may or may not be a problem.

Dana Johannsen is the classic example of a sports "reporter" knowing very little about many sports codes. She stirred up trouble not too long ago for the Waikato Netball franchise coach by getting personal. Now she's obviously spoken to someone - my guess PJ Montgomery - who's fed her this bullshit.

Fascinating story concerning Spain's Crown Prince Felipe giving AD the "ok" to drive their mast on a weekend.

After Mast 1 broke, Walker needed Mast 2. Which was being readied for eventual storage in Amsterdam and was a long way from Alicante.

In Spain, trucks cannot move VERY big stuff on weekends. But Walker could not wait.

Not many hours before Mast 1 broke he had met the Crown Prince?

Could he (the Prince) now get AD an exemption from the Spanish "Jones Act?" Could the mast go along roads on a weekend?

Yes, said the Prince.

And it was done.

Now AD are facing a different logistics issue.

Moving a boat + a mast! To South Africa.

Camper less than 20Nm behind Telefonica and still clawing back some mileage. Can't wait for the next 24-36 hours.

Camper is still 90nm behind Telefonica and 161 behind Groupama, their speed seems to have gone down a little "just" 17 knots.

Puma gained another 41nm, distance to Groupama now just 51.7nm.

At least the Volvo coverage does not sucks as the AC in SD.

Incredible: Puma is now leading !!!! I guessed they would come back like a rocket but not even that fast. Camper still 100 Nm behind, they must be mad.

I think that Groupama may be leading again within about 12 hours but it is going to be very tricky for them,

At least the Volvo coverage does not sucks as the AC in SD.

Incredible: Puma is now leading !!!! I guessed they would come back like a rocket but not even that fast. Camper still 100 Nm behind, they must be mad.

I think that Groupama may be leading again within about 12 hours but it is going to be very tricky for them,

It'll be some chase if they can overhaul the other boats before the gate.

Yep, clear now that the East option did not pay and I don't think we will see much tactic choice for the following days as the wind looks pretty equal. I dunno where the doldrums are this season ? that could be another interesting tactical game for the 2 last boats !

I figured Grant would have ants in his pants. Having to look at the Volvo race tracker from his office. And here he is at the ENTZ blog:

Grant Dalton blogs on long-distance worry

I don’t know what is worse – being on the shore with absolutely no control over what is happening or being out there wet and tired. I’m going for the wet and tired right now.

I didn’t think I would go “up and down” with the three-hour position reports from the Volvo Ocean Race while I was at a desk in Auckland. Well I can assure you I do; in fact maybe even worse than when I’m out there.

From last night in Auckland when they were down to 35 miles behind, to waking up this morning (after a restless night) to find they had been hammered and were back more than 100 miles behind. I can tell you it ruined my Sunday.

Just watching Groupama at present get swallowed up in the east. It could well be a long few days for them. They will be going through an emotional roller coaster as well. They knew that their move was a bit high-risk but while they were a comfy 250 miles in front in their quiet time they would have let the “this looks good” feeling creep in. It’s human nature.

Onboard CAMPER I know they will be hurting. They know only too well that their 6 hour “dither” just outside the Med has ended up costing them 100 miles, and that is a long, long way. I have been here before. A small error, certainly in leg 1, is always punished.

Puma and Telefonica have sailed faultlessly to date and if we are going to get on their pace we are going to have to get all the calls right. There are only ever one or two leg-defining calls per race leg. We’ve seen one, we hashed it. There will be another but probably not until the South Atlantic now so we need to try to gain every mile so when it comes we have a chance to catch.

OK another report in 30 minutes. It’s a drug, damned hard to run an Americas Cup campaign while this is going on.

post-29902-099679500 1321234284_thumb.jpg

Nico and the lads are getting smelly and it is not fun to be stuck 150 nms back from the leader.

Particularly afrer having sailed the longest course of all of them.

Hence, at considerable personal expense, I today arranged an airdrop of taniwha into the doldrums dead ahead.

These taniwha, reared not far from Auckland, know a kiwi boat when they hear it. They have extraordinary hearing (better than whales).

So, if Camper surges and competitors run into problems, you will know the story.

But do us a favour and keep this news to yourself.

post-29902-024188100 1321241369_thumb.jpg

post-29902-071458400 1321241422_thumb.jpg

post-29902-010429400 1321241449_thumb.jpg

post-29902-058916700 1321241472_thumb.jpg

So now we're back to the third grade Kiwi bullshit.

Did you confer with your lap dog Indio to post this nonsense or did you do it all on your own ?

Take it to Ocean Racing Anarchy where it belongs for Christs sake.

Apparently you don't realize how stupid this is.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by SW Sailor user_popup.png. View it anyway?

I wonder what shit-for-brains is mumbling about now :lol:

:lol:

Groupama is in a world of pain at the moment, and Camper is finally starting to scamper along..18.8kts.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by SW Sailor user_popup.png. View it anyway?

I wonder what shit-for-brains is mumbling about now :lol:

:lol:

Groupama is in a world of pain at the moment, and Camper is finally starting to scamper along..18.8kts.

Yes, Franck Cammas must be going through the same sufferings that Chris Nicholson went through. Hopes are very dim for him now. I do not not why he did not try to keep his Eastern option. The forecast for the East are not good but the past tells us they are not allways accurate.

Yes, Franck Cammas must be going through the same sufferings that Chris Nicholson went through. Hopes are very dim for him now. I do not not why he did not try to keep his Eastern option. The forecast for the East are not good but the past tells us they are not allways accurate.

It now gets even more interesting. It looks like Puma and Tele will cling to each other as they dive into the doldrums. What is good for me, is good for my bro!

But, further east (and 160 nm behind), Nico can learn from their experience and maybe find a better track through nothingness.

Same applies to Cammas - even further east and behind.

In his blog, Nico hints at the fact their post-Med "dither" was a result of disagreement aboard the boat. Keeps saying "we" screwed up.

So, already thinking about the headmaster (Dalts) standing on the dock in Capetown, Nico will be looking for any kind of redemption.

My instincts suggest the Camper design is good and they have the horse power to win this.

But, as Dalts said, one tactical error and you pay dearly.

Whatever happens, this is turning into an interesing race and, like Dalts, I am timing my activities so as to be close to the computer for the 3-hour update.

Tele and Puma must be getting immense benefit from their "two-boat testing." Camper will be pissed by having missed this chance to get valuable data.

I for one don't mind having one thread dealing with AC guys in the Volvo listed here. For those that have their panties in a bunch there is a easy solution . Don't fucking read it :)

I for one don't mind having one thread dealing with AC guys in the Volvo listed here. For those that have their panties in a bunch there is a easy solution . Don't fucking read it :)

In his latest blog, Dalts VERY SPECIFICALLY links the two projects - Volvo and AC.

May not impress Hogster and Soiler. But is good enough for me.

In this vein, I hope Hamish will soon have something from Trae.

Up front, Puma and Tele are playing "swap the lead" (although Tele likes his angle for entry into the doldrums).

Camper now 170 nm behind the leaders (and going 2 or 3 knots slower).

Taniwha must be jet-lagged? Or lazy?

The 2 last boats are now accelerating. I don't understand why Cammas is willing to go West, I think Nicholson is right to try to go a bit East, even if the forecast say the window is west. They are consistently wrong in the doldrums.

I was pretty pessimistic about 24h ago but I think the first boats may have a pit stop and the others can take the best of it if they play smart.... Maybe we could ask Soiler what he thinks about it ? :)

Stu Bannatyne, aboard Camper, discusses the impending King Neptune ceremony for first timers.

"Both Adam (Minoprio) and Hamish (the MCM) are shaking in their collective boots wondering what grim punishments will be dealt out during the ceremony.

It is interesting to note the different tactics employed by the two. Adam seems to be taking a full on assault of niceness, never have I seen him so forthcoming in offering coffees, drinks and any other favours that need doing. I suspect that this short-term strategy will fail dismally. Perhaps he should have thought of this strategy a long time ago.

Hamish on the other hand continues his normal behavior not quite sure of the correct approach to take. It would be safe to say that regardless of the approach taken by either of the two pending victims, appropriate punishment will be administered for the long list of crimes on record.

Temperatures down below are ramping up and the fans are in full use. The smell is not improving but overall spirits are high.

So we approach the next week of difficult transitions including an always-taxing voyage through The Doldrums before we break into the South East Trades and the long awaited Southern Hemisphere".

The 2 last boats are now accelerating. I don't understand why Cammas is willing to go West, I think Nicholson is right to try to go a bit East, even if the forecast say the window is west. They are consistently wrong in the doldrums.

I was pretty pessimistic about 24h ago but I think the first boats may have a pit stop and the others can take the best of it if they play smart.... Maybe we could ask Soiler what he thinks about it ? :)

I think Nico is taking heed of Oxley's conviction that east will pay off once they're through the dreaded doldrums. I thinks it's significant that both Camper and Groupama are now running 3+ kts quicker than the 2 leaders, that far behind.

I think Nico is taking heed of Oxley's conviction that east will pay off once they're through the dreaded doldrums. I thinks it's significant that both Camper and Groupama are now running 3+ kts quicker than the 2 leaders, that far behind.

Although it turns out "dashboard" speeds are a composite - calculated as some kind of average over the last 3 hours.

Better than nothing. But, at this stage (near the doldrums) there can be sudden changes.

Anyway, Camper has clawed back a bit. But, my god, what an ordeal it is watching this ! Imagine being on the boat.

I will not be surprised if this leg ends as one of those match-raching, playing-the-shifts, coming-up-the-harbour at 1 a.m. kind of things.

When Dalts set out (on Leg 1) in F & P they got out of the Solent and realized they had no real plan for Leg 1. Early race planning had been overwhelmed by all the last minute tasks. As such, he was very quickly looking at competitors going over the horizon. WTF ???!!!! Writes openly about it in his books on that race.

When he meets the lads in Capetown this will part of the backdrop to the "dithering" discussion.

Even so, before they start Leg 2, the dithering issue will have been resolved.

A good look inside the technical stuff aboard the V70s:

Jeez ...no nav. station looks like a place you'd like to go on the school holidays!

The Camper one might be more ergonomically correct than others. But hard to tell.

Even so, still a worthwhile video.

Payday for Camper, reeling in 24Nm off Puma over the last 3 hours.

Yes, very good day for Camper, they are now at only 100Nm from the leader. Hopefully the doldrums might the 2 in the back, and it could be fun.

Payday for Camper, reeling in 24Nm off Puma over the last 3 hours.

Yes, very good day for Camper, they are now at only 100Nm from the leader. Hopefully the doldrums might the 2 in the back, and it could be fun.

I posted too soon!! Camper's now doing only 5.5kts and going backwards in a rush..Wonder what happened to cause that little wobble in their trail on Race Tracker...

Looks like Camper's through the Doldrums and making time...

Camper now back to trailing the leaders by 150 nm.

The "dither" moment has cost them dearly.

Both Tele and Puma have said their "2-boat testing" has delivered numerous advantages.

Pity Camper could not have made that a 3-horse race.

Not to worry Kiwi lapdog, Ta Koodie said the taniwha will save the day, that is if they're not up dithering in Canada laugh.gif

For your information, Ogopogo (in Okanagan Lake) is a bit like the Sasquatch. He is a one-off guy. And probably a figment of the imagination.

Taniwha exist in large numbers. They live in wetlands throughout New Zealand and are particularly prevalent in coastal areas and near rivers.

Not long ago the SH 1 (state highway No. 1) had to be re-routed to go around a taniwha nesting place on the banks of the Waikato river.

Wellington taniwha are not the same as those up north.

They are all unique.

Although sometimes portrayed as ferocious, they are quite friendly.

This is particularly the case for those in Wellington.

There is a controversy in Wellington where some idiot wanted to hang a WELLYWOOD sign on a cliff face on the approach into the airport.

That plan was rejected and the alternative looks increasingly like it might be the eye of taniwha.

post-29902-035657200 1321512563_thumb.jpg

Not to worry Kiwi lapdog, Ta Koodie said the taniwha will save the day, that is if they're not up dithering in Canada laugh.gif

For your information, Ogopogo (in Okanagan Lake) is a bit like the Sasquatch. He is a one-off guy. And probably a figment of the imagination.

Taniwha exist in large numbers. They live in wetlands throughout New Zealand and are particularly prevalent in coastal areas and near rivers.

Not long ago the SH 1 (state highway No. 1) had to be re-routed to go around a taniwha nesting place on the banks of the Waikato river.

Wellington taniwha are not the same as those up north.

They are all unique.

Although sometimes portrayed as ferocious, they are quite friendly.

This is particularly the case for those in Wellington.

There is a controversy in Wellington where some idiot wanted to hang a WELLYWOOD sign on a cliff face on the approach into the airport.

That plan was rejected and the alternative looks increasingly like it might be the eye of taniwha.

Thanks for the lesson in third grade marine biology (bullshit) which has nothing to do with anything as far as racing is concerned..

I'll let all the neighbor kids know so they will be well informed. Let me know if you'll be in the area and I'll let you teach them yourself, professor.

Posted Today, 07:00 PM

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: SW Sailor.

SW Sailor user_popup.png

Posted Today, 06:50 PM

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: SW Sailor.

Should have used the Ignore option a long time ago laugh.gif....so nice not to have to read the BS from the SW Soiler biggrin.gif

The back of the fleet just sailed thru a wormhole straight to capetown :lol:

vor.jpg

More like PUMA engaged warp speed and left the field for dead biggrin.gif

It is hard to know what Camper can do now.

They continue to remain stuck a solid 150 nm behind the leaders.

Instead of finding their own path, they are pretty well following the course earlier steered by Tele/Puma.

What we see now? Will this be the order into Capetown?

If so, the post-Gibraltar "dither" was very costly. Very, very, costly.

It is hard to know what Camper can do now.

They continue to remain stuck a solid 150 nm behind the leaders.

Instead of finding their own path, they are pretty well following the course earlier steered by Tele/Puma.

What we see now? Will this be the order into Capetown?

If so, the post-Gibraltar "dither" was very costly. Very, very, costly.

They are following the others trail but at a consistently slightly slower pace . There may be more than a mental deficiency at this early stage .

They are following the others trail but at a consistently slightly slower pace . There may be more than a mental deficiency at this early stage .

Looks like they're finally sailing into some wind at last! Next 36-48 hours will be interesting..

"PUMA's Mar Mostro suffered dismasting. Crew are unhurt. Team have not suspended racing and are considering options. #volvooceanrace"

Ken Read: We were sailing on a port tack,beam reaching in22-23kts of breeze with 8-10ft waves...There were no warning signs. #volvooceanrace

Thrasing it is...

Looks like Puma is heading toward Bueno Aires at 11 knots which is not too bad considered the situation.

Camper 2nd now and Groupama 3rd.

They have more strong wind to come. Unlike the AC it is not about the fastest boat but the surviving ones.

Well, for the AC72 it may be the same.;)

And then there were 3...

Blake would be hang his head and shed a tear on his red socks if he saw this fiasco...

I think it'll be very different in the second leg as they will surely try to stick together this time and match race to their secret rendezvous with their ride

^ That's 'Cape Town' professor! ;)

TK, this is OT (but still about ocean voyages, and you are following this thread so..):

The Star of India in San Diego, originally christened the Euterpe, have you visited it? The thing is outstanding, a serious gem.

The diary kept by Steade Ellis (sp?) during his family's trip to NZ must be one helluva read. The local SD PBS station has a video they produced that the museum shows down in the captain's quarters about the ship's history, it is an outstanding production too. Well worth the visit, maybe even a trip for you, cheers.

SD must be very proud of their role in its decades-long restoration.

TK, this is OT (but still about ocean voyages, and you are following this thread so..):

The Star of India in San Diego, originally christened the Euterpe, have you visited it? The thing is outstanding, a serious gem.

I think you know my family reached NZ on Euterpe in 1874.

And I have written articles for Mains'l Haul (their newsletter) about my relative - the teacher on the voyage of 1874.

Euterpe was slow (took 5 months) and passengers were hard-pressed to fill the time. However, they published a newspaper, held classes and did other things. In some cases there was romance.

Capt Bligh, the Ships Surgeon (in 1984) had the hots my for relative. Arriving in NZ he wrote reference letters on her behalf.

Having written a few of these myself, I know when they denote more than a professional interest.

Anyway, as a result of Bligh's letter, Jane (who was not a certified teacher) got a teaching job in the infant colony of NZ.

I am a huge fan of the SD Maritime Museum Society and am even prepared to overlook the navy money in there.

All credit to the people who got the ship off a mudbank in SF and persisted with the restoration.

Pretty well all my cousins in NZ have been to see her. And many have its picture on their walls at home.

This, of course, is where Dal comes in!

There was a diary for 1874. But, without scouring my files, I cannot remember if it was Ellis.

I met a woman in Feilding who is descended from John Humphrey who was on the 1874 voyage. She and I had a lot to talk about.

Many of the 1874 people went to the Manchester Block in Feilding.

CAMPER’s bowman Mike Pammenter has sustained injuries after being thrown into the boat’s shrouds while doing a sail change in the latest of a string of dramas on the high seas.

Pammenter suffered a broken tooth, gash to the face and various bumps and bruises in the fall. He was stabilised immediately by on board medic Tony Rae and after further medical advice from Volvo Ocean Race Headquarters has received three stiches and the affected tooth area has been anesthetised.

“This is a dangerous race and when you are sailing on the edge like this the unfortunate reality is that at times you will damage both boat and crew. The key thing now is that CAMPER is back in the game and heading hard for Cape Town and the finish” - Grant Dalton

Ouch!

Puma rigged a sail and were going to continue to Cape Town.

But they have now started their engine and have retired from Leg 1.

Knut Frostad must be wondering what is happening to his race!

Camper's got their chance now to run down Telefonica who may just be tempted to start protecting their lead, with 2000 Nm to go.

Next 3 days may be interesting, a new system is coming, low and high pressure, it could make the difference. I am afraid Groupama may not be able to benefit but Camper could very take advantage of it.

Yikes

We learn a lot here.

First, Trae has been in the sailing game since 1987 and is the right bloke to do sutures. Which, by the looks of them, are very professional.

He also looks good with the injection. Way to go Dr. Rae!!!

Mike, if you are reading his, all the best mate.

If any teeth were knocked out, hang onto them. There might be a chance for a "replant" in Cape Town. If this can be done it will save you a lot of grief later.

It is good to see those guys caring for one another like that.

Kia kaha!

A bloke called "Dog the Bounty Hunter" posted this in another thread. But I was so impressed I pasted it over here. Hope you don't mind. Raises issues that interest many of us here:

When will Volvo get it right! Does anyone even care who "designed" the fastest boat, or who had the best rig and fittings, or even who made the sails. This Race is about the human drama, who can out sail the other guys. This should be a One Design event, it would make it incredibly cooler, and much cheaper. And probably add another 5 teams to the mix. When someone climbs Everest, no one cares what boots he was wearing. They just know that someone did something amazing. Sailing offers nothing in the form of technology to benefit anything but sailing. The drive for a technological edge has destroyed the coolest thing in yachting, the Volvo Ocean Race. Someone with a brain needs to understand that the general publics interest in this race is because it is an epic adventure, not because someone had lighter rig fittings. or a boat that planed at 75 AWA instead of 80 AWA. With the world watching, once again sailing falls flat on it's face because we think we're clever. As with all racing, if you think you're gonna have wrecks, they better happen in front of 100,000 people, otherwise you just look lame. I hope everyone is safe on Puma, and I feel for everyone on the boat. They are the real victims in all of this. Everyone in this race would have been happy to leave the dock with exactly what everyone else had, and proved on the water, "who was the best". The pressure to be clever, and win this race before you leave the dock, is what is killing the sport. The Volvo organizers need to wake up! Just a single opinion! Focus your positive energy to the crew of Puma, they have some amazing challenges in front of them.

[Posted by Dog the Bounty Hunter]

Raises issues that interest many of us here:

The only issue it raises for me is how the F*** someone like this follows a sailing event like the VOR. Shocking :o

4q3bj8.jpg

Also fitting that you, Te Koodie, would promote comments from someone like Dog the Bounty Hunter. :lol:

Raises issues that interest many of us here:

The only issue it raises for me is how the F*** someone like this follows a sailing event like the VOR. Shocking :o

4q3bj8.jpg

Also fitting that you, Te Koodie, would promote comments from someone like Dog the Bounty Hunter. :lol:

And who was it that was commenting about being an outstanding citizen not that long ago ?

Dog has a interesting perspective and I tend to agree with him. When you have to cut the back half of your tooth brush off to save weight on an around the world race something has gone too far . I sailed a few races on the old Witbred 60 Yamaha and it was the most uncomfortable boat I ever raced on and that was just overnight !

Dog has a interesting perspective and I tend to agree with him. When you have to cut the back half of your tooth brush off to save weight on an around the world race something has gone too far . I sailed a few races on the old Witbred 60 Yamaha and it was the most uncomfortable boat I ever raced on and that was just overnight !

Did you sail with Ross Field? In the race?

Or after its Whitbread duties were done?

I have always wanted to talked with someone who sailed with Chris Dickson on Tokio.

Was doing so well. Before his mast came down.

Hogster ... I do not know this bloke.

And nor did I need to know.

I find the ideas interesting.

It is the ideas that matter.

Have to agree, one-design makes a lot of sense for next time around.

It's not as if the knowledge base isn't there now for making boats that are what people expect from a VO70 but which will not break like this. And would cost at least a little less.

Also, it's been pointed out that the points system now makes breakages too acceptable. If that's correct, then if not going to one-design, the points system should be changed so the designers will find it rational to trade, for example, a little more windage for the sake of extra strength -- still efficient, but not to the razor's edge -- rather than trading away strength for reduced windage, dropping strength to the razor's edge.

Camper lost at least 100 nm because of their post-Gibraltar "dither".

And that is where they are now - 100 nm behind.

I would say this boat has the speed.

And, if the crew can get their tactics right, they are looking good to win this race.

They are as fast as Telefonica. But need to get their shit together.

As for Puma, I feel very sorry for Ken Read and his crew. Shades of Ceramaco - and all the others.

Dalts knows what it feels like to be dismasted. After all that work, now this!

Ken Read on next steps for Puma:

At approximately 1800 GMT this evening, the ship Zim Monaco should arrive to our position to deliver 450 litres of diesel fuel. At the end of the day, we determined diesel is our lifeblood