Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Te Kooti

Volvo Boats In For a Thrashing

Here we go again. From the Volvo site:

The six-boat Volvo Ocean Race fleet could face fearsome wind conditions in Cape Town when racing recommences this weekend.

Weather forecasters are predicting up to 25 knots of breeze for the V&A Waterfront In-Port Race on December 10 and for the start of Leg 2 to Abu Dhabi the following day.

While the prospect of strong winds may be fantastic news for the thousands of spectators expected to flock to the waterfront to watch the action, it will be a daunting prospect for the crews having to manhandle their powerful ocean racers around a short inshore course.

Here we go again. From the Volvo site:

The six-boat Volvo Ocean Race fleet could face fearsome wind conditions in Cape Town when racing recommences this weekend.

Weather forecasters are predicting up to 25 knots of breeze for the V&A Waterfront In-Port Race on December 10 and for the start of Leg 2 to Abu Dhabi the following day.

While the prospect of strong winds may be fantastic news for the thousands of spectators expected to flock to the waterfront to watch the action, it will be a daunting prospect for the crews having to manhandle their powerful ocean racers around a short inshore course.

Gentlemen..start your handwringing...

Camper 2nd in in-port race.

Hold the handwringing until tomorrow but start your applause for a superb 2nd place...

Groupama first but I think that Camper was right to go South, they will be first to get the wind.

I don't know what Abou Dhabi and Telefonica are playing at now.

Camper first to fourth .

Groupma first to third

Abu in the lead and Puma comes from behind for second .

Some crazy things going on out there for the start of this one and even all 6 boats STILL in the race :)

I like Camper's position at the moment...and they're zooming along at 23+Knts

And how about now ? Some crazy race they have going on there .

Certainly more fun than litigation. Even although (or especially since) we don't really know where they are going, race-wise, not litigation-wise. Enormously entertaining, and Camper's media output is amazing in quantity - quality's not bad either - bit of eye-candy the boat too.

Even for those who cannot be without trouble, you have the Groupama guys with their permanant protest against Camper's forestay. You see, something for everyone wink.gif.

And how about now ? Some crazy race they have going on there .

Camper is ideally positioned and is humming along nicely. The DTL numbers don't mean much, only relative to a waypoint they've set - purely an academic exercise. Nice to see Sanderson's Sanya mixing it with the others.

Camper is ideally positioned and is humming along nicely. The DTL numbers don't mean much, only relative to a waypoint they've set - purely an academic exercise. Nice to see Sanderson's Sanya mixing it with the others.

Going more or less due east, they must be heading to a weigh point before turning toward the stealth zone.

Frankly, I still have doubts about the mystery ship and being craned aboard.

It just sounds too crazy.

Could this be a disinformation campaign designed to confuse the pirates?

Is it possible they will sail through? And the mystery ship remains a mystery?

Terrorism is the art of having the enemy eat himself from within.

So, as demonstrated by 911, long after the act itself, the so-called "enemy" (the US) continues implementing annoying - and often irrational - protective measures.

Every person asked to remove shoes at an airport knows the dynamics of this process.

In the case of the Volvo, very few people know why young men in Somali have turned to piracy.

They have lost their fishing grounds to industrialized (largely European-based) commercial fishing. In addition, for a variety of historic reasons, they live in a failed state with nothing resembling a coherent government.

Living on the edge, they see privileged shipping companies and wealthy yachtspeople as legitimate targets.

To protect the Volvo race Knut Frostad et al create the crazy mystery-ship/sprint-into-Dubai scenario.

Which, in the circumstances, is understandable. But saps interest from the event. If we do not where race boats are going, why follow their progress?

It is hard to see why Frostad et al insist on sailing this route.

Yea, I know.

Just like the pirates, it is a matter of following the money.

I won't follow you here TK. I think we are all fed up or thie pathetic defense of pirates: they have no fish ? no boat ? no weapons ? we are again responsible for their corrupted governments ?

They are just pirates should be delt like it. The russians don't have too many problems...

They are just pirates should be dealt like it.

Quite so.

But dealing with them should be based on some kind of understanding concerning their actions.

Otherwise, we too easily slide into actions based on fiction (eg. weapons of mass destruction in Saddam's Iraq).

Learning about piracy is a necessary prerequisite to control.

Remember the goals of science - understanding, prediction, control.

They are just pirates should be dealt like it.

Quite so.

But dealing with them should be based on some kind of understanding concerning their actions.

Otherwise, we too easily slide into actions based on fiction (eg. weapons of mass destruction in Saddam's Iraq).

Learning about piracy is a necessary prerequisite to control.

Remember the goals of science - understanding, prediction, control.

Problem is that western countries sometimes behave like the decadent Roma. And that is not the way Roma was put on the map.

Weapons of mass destruction were pure fiction, while piracy is not. I am cynical, but I don't mind if the Iraquis kill each other, I do mind if pirats come and attack us.

TK, remember: "Cartago delenda est" (Caton).

Humanism is good at an individual level, but that is not the stuff the states are made of...

Going more or less due east, they must be heading to a weigh point before turning toward the stealth zone.

Really? They are going to weigh the boats in the middle of the ocean? Wouldn't it have been easier to do that back in Cape Town?

Really? They are going to weigh the boats in the middle of the ocean? Wouldn't it have been easier to do that back in Cape Town?

Weigh points, spoken by a true sailor.

we are not your dead-head weed smoking students

please confine yourself to sailing on this forum

or show yourself to be part of the problem and not the solution

^

True sailors know about waypoints.

Quite so.

But Camper got caught with too many Vegemite sandwiches.

And have to be weighed!

post-29902-066303000 1324024236_thumb.jpg

Humanism is good at an individual level, but that is not the stuff the states are made of...

Yea .. well ... I was recently at a Wellington conference and met David Shearer.

Who, since I foisted my paper on him, has become Leader of the New Zealand Labour Party.

He is a former employee of UNDP and has worked in many of the world's hot spots (eg. Somalia, West Bank, Balkans, Rwanda).

His background is human security and peacebuilding - from within a humanist framework.

He is now the Leader of the Opposition (and P.M. in waiting).

The recent intervention in Libya was based on the Canadian "responsibility to protect" doctrine - which arose from the Rwandan genocide - when western nations sat on their hands and watched Hutus use machets to hack 800,000 Tutsis.

In this globalising world the there has been an erosion of the notion of "borders" and "nation-state" and the idea this massacre (or other atrocity) is an "internal affair" no longer holds water.

I mention this in defence of the notion humanism has its place in state-to-state relations.

Please!!! We have that same pirates discussion destoying the VOR thread in the German SA forum. A bit of OT in a thread is usually very enjoyable, but this can get out of scope very fast, so please take it to PA or PM, mail, chat - whatever, but not here.

OK ... no more pirates!

The VOR tracker now puts Camper only 2 miles behind race leader Telefonica.

But it makes no sense because they are still heading to an eastern waypoint - and more or less away from Abu Dhabi.

If any Somali pirates are following discussion on SA or the VOR tracker they should say so now. SWS ... are you a pirate?

Because VOR attempts to conceal the race course sure make it hard to follow for the rest of us.

Right now Puma and Camper are jointly pursuing a shared-objective. While Tele takes a more northerly and Groupama a more southerly route (to where?).

Anyway, despite its many mysteries, this leg is shaping up well for everyone. No masts down. And, despite sleepless nights and nagging fatigue, no munched teeth or other serious injuries.

I would not have been surprised to see Mike Pammenter jump off in Cape Town and fly home to see a dentist. But he is still in the race.

I am still wondering if the mystery pick-up ship is a ruse (an example of Richard Nixon-like "disinformation"). Instead, will the fleet sail a big circular route - giving the pirate zone a wide berth?

WTF ... Puma and Camper now neck and neck and allegedly leading the race.

Tele now well down the list.

On the race to ......... ????????????

Must be to the nearest non-pirate Starbucks?

WTF ... Puma and Camper now neck and neck and allegedly leading the race.

Tele now well down the list.

On the race to ......... ????????????

Must be to the nearest non-pirate Starbucks?

I think they changed the destination to the Kerguelen Islands. At least that is where it looks like Cammas is heading.

I think they changed the destination to the Kerguelen Islands. At least that is where it looks like Cammas is heading.

Crozet? Or Prince Edward Islands? Amsterdam/St Paul islands?

Other than these there ain't much out there.

A course around any of these island groups followed by another waypoint at the Maldives would pretty well take them outside the pirate zone.

A long way offshore.

But more dignified than being hauled aboard a freighter.

Camper now leads.

With Puma in their wake and close enough to hear what the kiwis are talking about (girls + food).

Sanya also there - only 1 mile back.

But speeds down to 9 knots.

At last Camper is getting the 2-boat testing they want.

Using the DTL info you should be able to triangulate where they are going, although its probably based on Abu Dhabi.

Anyone know how they move the race village around the world? Do they fly the containers to every destination?

Puma leads but Groupma has taken a huge split. There are going to either win or lose BIG with that move. Where the hell is Sanya going ??? the next 24 will be very interesting .

So the fleet is ranging between 65 and 91 degrees and Sanya is at 343 LOL . What was in their coffee this morning ? Groumpa is in 27 kts of breeze while everyone else is 14 kts or lower . Somethings going on down there.

Look at the wind indicators, Sanya will never get through the low wind field - they are sailing around it!

post-20594-089279200 1324149994_thumb.jpg

Groupma 's end run looking better all the time. Took 30 mile chunks out of the leaders each of the two past time periods. Curretly doing 20 kts while leader Abu is doing 6 kts.

There are several guesses floating around, Diego Garcia being one of them since the start in Cape Town. Others are Male/Maledives, East cost of Madagascar, and who knows what else... If it is the latter, Sanya is the king!

Oct 17 post from Puma:

After more than 1,700 nautical miles of red-hot competition, this evening just 100 yards separated third placed PUMA Ocean Racing and their second placed rivals CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand – and PUMA's youngest crewman Rome Kirby said the ever-present pressure from their adversaries has upped the team's intensity.

"We've got CAMPER about 100 yards to weather of us and it's nice to have a little back-and-forth with them" - Rome Kirby

"We've got CAMPER about 100 yards to weather of us and it's nice to have a little back-and-forth with them," 22-year-old Kirby told volvooceanrace.com after coming off watch.

The young American, son of Volvo Ocean Race veteran Jerry Kirby, is one of two designated helmsmen on PUMA – and often faces four hours at a time behind the wheel concentrating 100 per cent on sailing the team's Volvo Open 70 Mar Mostro as quick as possible.

"It's nice having another boat right there – it keeps the intensity up and makes you push a bit harder, put a little more in," he added. "Obviously there's a lot more sailing to be done in the next 10 days."

Franck Cammas giving another sailing lesson to the rest of the fleet?

Not sure what Sanya is doing though, I read in a serious sailing magazine that 150m Chinese are following their progress.

Photo%2018-12-11%2007%2020%2040.png

Not sure what Sanya is doing though, I read in a serious sailing magazine that 150m Chinese are following their progress.

Well, that answers it then.

Moose is off to Shanghai for noodles!

Sanya is first now, so it looks like a waypoint or interims destination on the east coast of Madagascar. Camper and Tele heading north now as well, only Grpm is very far off if it's Madagascar.

The latest update shows Groupama consolidating their lead, and by quite a healthy margin.

I think this also shows the difference between multi and monohull skippers, the multi guys always make sure they keep their speed up, even if that means they are sacrificing some (shortterm) VMG and in this case it seems to have payed of.

Photo%2018-12-11%2010%2044%2024.png

The wind pattern indicates that Sanya did everything right, and Grpm, well... again... had a very individual view of the world.

post-20594-078022300 1324224114_thumb.jpg

^ Appreciate your posting the pics, my phone won't display the site. Is that Madagascar to the north?

Yes, Sanya's move looks to be paying off. Surprised me too.

Regarding Sanya, the race site says they will soon be pounded by 50 knot winds. Beating into it.

Much like conditions that severed their bow.

Moose is gambling on this weather system moving away and "threading the needle" between it and the coast.

Seems like a reasonable gamble. And makes the race interesting.

Am I the only one contemplating the possibility the mystery ship (with a crane) is "disinformation" (BS) designed to throw pirates (here and there) off the trail?

Is it possible they will just sail through - snubbing their nose at the pirates?

Using the DTL info you should be able to triangulate where they are going, although its probably based on Abu Dhabi.

Anyone know how they move the race village around the world? Do they fly the containers to every destination?

Two portable villages in containers, leapfrogging each other to the various destinations. Thats how it was done 2 races ago so probably the same.

Moose is gambling on this weather system moving away and "threading the needle" between it and the coast. Seems like a reasonable gamble.

The current forecast suggests there will be no gap between the storm and the coast to thread thru, but it may still work out even if they have to go east of the low.

Someone should give Moose and the French a bonus for at least making the race interesting.

Am I the only one contemplating the possibility the mystery ship (with a crane) is "disinformation" (BS) designed to throw pirates (here and there) off the trail? Is it possible they will just sail through - snubbing their nose at the pirates?

mmmm . . . the pirate situation is no joke and is in fact pretty dire. I really doubt Volvo would want to face the risk. They will want to stay outside the 'exclusion zone' and that either means a ship, or just remotely possible sailing close down the indian coast with a navy watch organized

Moose is gambling on this weather system moving away and "threading the needle" between it and the coast.

Seems like a reasonable gamble.

Hmm ... "threading the needle", memories of Australia's Wreck Coast ... anybody for Madagascar 4? :D

Am I the only one contemplating the possibility the mystery ship (with a crane) is "disinformation" (BS) designed to throw pirates (here and there) off the trail?

Agree with Estar: not a chance

I see two possibilities: either they're (understandably) disgusted with the whole affair and have opted for charter life in Mauritius instead, or Mauritius/Réunion could in fact be the ship loading location - where else if not, further North at the Seychelles?

Seems like a reasonable gamble.

Hmm ... "threading the needle", memories of Australia's Wreck Coast ... anybody for Madagascar 4? :D

Agree with Estar: not a chance

I see two possibilities: either they're (understandably) disgusted with the whole affair and have opted for charter life in Mauritius instead, or Mauritius/Réunion could in fact be the ship loading location - where else if not, further North at the Seychelles?

My guess is Diego Garcia is the safe harbor they'll use in the Indian Ocean for Leg 2 & 3. DG is well equipped for this sort of thing and would be a logical port for a trusted armed ship. DG also has an airport where the team members can fly out/in. DG is also fairly close to and contained within the south east edge of the "Stealth Zone".

DG is a US military base on British territory. The intelligence services are very busy there, so it is doubtful whether they would like to invite strangers, and want to be in the focus of the international (sailing) media.

DG is a US military base on British territory. The intelligence services are very busy there, so it is doubtful whether they would like to invite strangers, and want to be in the focus of the international (sailing) media.

As you say, Diego is military and usually forbidden to civilians except in case of emergency but just be aware that Diego Garcia is one atoll in the Chagos archipelago, and the other atolls in the group are open. This includes three other island groups - Egmont, Peros Banhos, and Salomon. Salomon is the most commonly used by visiting yachts (especially Ile Boddam and Ile Fouquet/Takamaka), and offers an all around protected anchorage. Its a lovely anchorage!

So, it could be used as a transhipment point, but Volvo would have to get special permission to fly a charter plane in and out. They probably have the clout to do that.

There are several possible alternatives for the pick-up point. We don't have much info except the exclusion zone and the recent comment that the destination might be 10 days away. To me that would suggest further than Chagos - which is only about 2000nm away (I hope they plan on doing more than 200 mile days!). I personally hope its someplace like Colombo (more like 3000nm on the great circle route) or near by on the southern tip of India, which would make this a real full ocean leg.

Chris Nicholson on Camper:

“Stu, Will, Andy and myself have been giving ourselves headaches trying to work out what the best options are,” he said.

“To that extent I think we’ve done well, I think we’ve been consistent. Whether or not it appears that way on the website is immaterial.

“We’ve performed pretty well straight down the line.”

“We now go into the high pressure system, tack later this evening and the first time in a long time we will be aiming at our destination.

TK. Once they "aim at their destination" our guesses might be more dependable.. In the meantime Sanya is now 200 miles ahead of the others.

Sanya looks like they are in a different ocean. Average wind speed 33 and everyone else between 9 and 14. They need to find out what weather app sanya has on the Iphone :)

Groupama was last a few hours ago, first soon ?

TC mon frere, did you mean to say Sanya? rolleyes.gif

Oui mon frère, if Sanya does not break they will rob the bank !

You have to admire the attitude of Moose. Knows his 2nd hand boat is slower than others so realizes they have do a runner to upset faster guys.

If this tactic works he and the crew will deserve an extra beer in Abu Dhabi.

Do they have beer there? Or is this like Brunei?

^^

In international hotels - also liquor stores for resident infidels

You have to admire the attitude of Moose. Knows his 2nd hand boat is slower than others so realizes they have do a runner to upset faster guys.

If this tactic works he and the crew will deserve an extra beer in Abu Dhabi.

Do they have beer there? Or is this like Brunei?

do you and Indio actually sail?

so far you have been abysmal at reading the situation. the cheering for an aussie skipper is awesome though. keep that up please

Not this shit again!

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/4473_Team-Sanya-suffer-rigging-damage-head-to-port-for-repair.html

"Team Sanya suffered damage to part of their rigging early on Monday and are heading to a port in southern Madagascar in order to assess the damage and make a repair plan. No one has been injured and the crew are all safe.

Sanya noticed the damage to one of the stays on the mast during a sail change on Leg 2 from Cape Town to Abu Dhabi and contacted Race Management.

The boat is fully under control with the mast still upright and is still able to sail to shore.

Skipper and team CEO Mike Sanderson said he was "gutted", with the incident occuring when the team was in the lead.

“We were just out of the major breeze and changing sails from the J4 to the fractional zero and were in wind speeds of around 12-14 knots when we noticed a vital piece of rigging loose from the mast (D2)," said Sanderson.

"We had had an awesome night’s racing and were totally hauling and making massive gains so we were very upbeat with our progress.

"The weather was turning for the better and so we were happy in our decisions and general progress. We had been due to tack an hour earlier in the darkness but had delayed that given the conditions and for sure if we had done that, the rig would have fallen over the side.

"As you can imagine we are totally gutted and can’t quite believe this has happened when everything was going so well.”

A spokesman for Dryad Maritime Intelligence Service said the port is not considered to be at high risk from piracy."

Prescient!

Well done TC.

Bummer for Sanya.

As you say, Diego is military and usually forbidden to civilians except in case of emergency but just be aware that Diego Garcia is one atoll in the Chagos archipelago, and the other atolls in the group are open. This includes three other island groups - Egmont, Peros Banhos, and Salomon. Salomon is the most commonly used by visiting yachts (especially Ile Boddam and Ile Fouquet/Takamaka), and offers an all around protected anchorage. Its a lovely anchorage!

(...)

Thanks for the info, Salomon would be a possibility, since it is not DG and subject to US secrecy, but belonging to the British Indian Ocean Territory as well. I'd prefer Danger Island, tho wink.gif.

Here this morning's status for all who made the wrong telephone choice:

post-20594-045941200 1324286104_thumb.jpg

Sanya heading to the nearest coast, man, this sucks.

...do you and Indio actually sail?

Actually I do...just not VOR-class.

...so far you have been abysmal at reading the situation. the cheering for an aussie skipper is awesome though. keep that up please

So what have you actually contributed to "reading the situation"?! An Aussie skipper who so far has fucked up most of the decisions on Camper?? Quite frankly, I expect to see Bannatyne take over from Nico before the end of VOR 2011-12, if Nico doesn't pull a win before the run to Auckland.

Prescient!

Well done TC.

Bummer for Sanya.

Thanks nav. Sometimes I wish I was wrong :(.

The race is now between Camper, first at the East side , and Groupama, last at the West side of the race.

I think that the West option will pay off within the next 2-3 days, so, with only 95 Nm difference, Gpma has a chance to take, we will see.

Not too many harbours along the Madacascar coast, this one seems to have the best cards. A small container terminal with an adjacent airport:

http://maps.google.c...026239,0.052314

What an ordeal for the Sanya crew. Just when they were ahead and doing well.

And what a shame they could not haul out the tools and jury rig something to keep the rig upright.

Are these the inevitable problems of sailing a well-used boat? Or are they peculiar to this hull and rig?

When they attached the new hull section in Cape Town they must have also gone over the rig with a microscope.

Even so, Moose makes good judgments.

So it must be bad enough to justify a trip to Madagascar.

Not too many harbours along the Madacascar coast, this one seems to have the best cards. A small container terminal with an adjacent airport:

http://maps.google.c...026239,0.052314

I get to bring my Indian ocean cruising experience to bear again :)

The possible east coast entry ports are:

Antsiranana (12 16S 49 17E) (North east end of island)

Ambodifototra (16 59S 49 51E) on Isle St Maria - the crew would love the Sunset Princess Bora lodge :)

Toamasina (18 9S, 49 24E)

Taolagnaro (25°1'37" S,46°59'46" E) (South east end of island)

Probably anything flying in will go thru Ivato International Airport (TNR), in the capital city of Antananarivo, pretty much smack in the middle of the island. I would send one of the crew with a local there and get whatever package right out of the hands of the courier/customs, rather than hoping it will be delivered to anywhere near the boat.

It's an interesting island - I hope some of the crew speak french

website says "Team Sanya continues to head towards the Madagascar port of Ehoala". This a new port name for Taolagnaro. Pretty desolate place, but I guess they hope not to be there very long.

post-8534-087276600 1324341516_thumb.jpg

This is the lonely planet review of the best hotel in town: "Jacqueline has cute little bungalows, and is handy for Libanona beach. The rooms are small and breezy and have hot water."

Interesting, Telefonica, Puma and Camper are in a speed race, they can probably see each other from time to time.

Groupama is making a tactic race on the East. New wind forecasts are not as good for them but they sail a bit faster.

Next days will be interesting.

Well, Nicholson wanted to see how they would go against other boats and he's finding out now...and I hope he likes being passed by Telefonica.

The race is now between Camper, first at the East side , and Groupama, last at the West side of the race.

I think that the West option will pay off within the next 2-3 days, so, with only 95 Nm difference, Gpma has a chance to take, we will see.

I think your compass is a mirror to mine...

I think your compass is a mirror to mine...

Oooooops, right, we have the same compass now.

Groupama has taken the lead!

They have the same windspeed as everyone else, but the 15-20 degree angle advantage means a 4-6kt speed advantage over the rest.

Interesting, Telefonica, Puma and Camper are in a speed race, they can probably see each other from time to time.

Groupama is making a tactic race on the East. New wind forecasts are not as good for them but they sail a bit faster.

Next days will be interesting.

Well, the East option paid off faster than expected with Groupama first.

From Bekke Bouwing's FB page:

"Groupama's breakaway move to the south several days ago first looked like it did not worked out for them, but since yesterday their current position to the east has resulted in a near perfect wind angle and velocity and this morning they have the hammer down as they continue to surge forward on the rest of the fleet at over 20 knots of boat speed.

What will happen when the wind dies out towards the Doldrums is very exciting. The first four boats are very close and anything can happen."

Cammas did a runner and now it has paid off. Well ahead. And a good angle.

Even with a small number of boats this is an intriguing race.

Cammas did a runner and now it has paid off. Well ahead. And a good angle.

Even with a small number of boats this is an intriguing race.

Questions is.....when's Bannatyne taking over from Nicholson!? Nico talks a good blog but.....

Endio, you can't blame Nicholson, Camper is just slower on the point of sail and conditions they have.

Endio, you can't blame Nicholson, Camper is just slower on the point of sail and conditions they have.

You have to understand, Nico is an Aussie, as a good Kiwi, Indio must blame him. It's cultural... wink.gif

Ultimately, Nicholson is responsible for any decision on Camper - including the lack thereof in Leg1 which condemned them to chasing shadows for the rest of the way to Cape Town. Camper's track on 18th December looks like a fucking cardiogram of an ADHD on P!! Dalton needs to make the hard decision and leave Nico to write his feel-good blogs and let Bannatyne call the shots.