Rawhide

Older fast Aus multies

Still would like to know about that Kraken 40 up north,with the name RINGO on it.

The original Ringo was Kraken 40 #1, and was built in Canada.

Won the 1969 NY-Bermuda race and was then sold to that Californian guy who

buggered it up. It became too heavy and never reached it's original performance levels.

Can't imagine it ending up in Oz

Just wondering about two boats that I used to read about in the 80s.

Fritz the Cat a Crowther 29ft Harrier and also I understand Crowther had a 40ft cat Wahoo?

Anyone got any history on these and know where they are now?

Just wondering about two boats that I used to read about in the 80s.

Fritz the Cat a Crowther 29ft Harrier and also I understand Crowther had a 40ft cat Wahoo?

Anyone got any history on these and know where they are now?

Wahoo is now a cruiser with a doghouse built on it, No more racing for this old girl.

Still would like to know about that Kraken 40 up north,with the name RINGO on it.

The original Ringo was Kraken 40 #1, and was built in Canada.

Won the 1969 NY-Bermuda race and was then sold to that Californian guy who

buggered it up. It became too heavy and never reached it's original performance levels.

Can't imagine it ending up in Oz

Just an FYI: That "California guy" was Mike Kane, the original owner/skipper of Spirit of America, and then owner/skipper of the Cross trimaran Crusader.

Fritz was (is?) on the Gold Coast.

Fritz unfortunately only joins the bigger south east qld races when she joins the Surf to City race each year. If there is any downwind or pressure in it, she is a weapon. Any light or upwind, and the pickleforks beat her. The Older looking sheer line and VERY yellow paint surprise any who take her for granted. Martin Arrowsmith on the Gold Coast is the proud owner.

Peter

Fritz the Cat - a kevlar Harrier 29 by Lock. race version with lower profile cabin tops. Original owner Wayne Turner. Built for the stronger winds prevalent around Cairns. Quickest around at the time, then Wayne built Top Gun (now back in Cairns with Gavin), definitely the quickest around at the time. Followed by Room with a View and then Warrior Princess (now Quickstep).

Hot To Trot, a Crowther, apparently, has been in Montys for quite some time and gets worked on occasionally. Does anybody know her history?

Cheers

Bottman

Ill give ya 15k for the sprint so you can buy XL2 back nuddy.

Dux Nutts suffered damaged due to big westerlies in Brisbane this week and a float and beam suffered. The poor old boat is now looking a bit sad and needs a new owner to give it some TLC.

XL2.............................Previously not for sale at any price , Now 120k But don't be fooled by the pics! They were taken a few years ago and do not represent the boat now.

http://www.multihullcentral.com/crowther-super-shockwave-39-performance-catamaran/

The interior photos on the web are new. It's the best it's ever looked inside and just needs a new lick of paint to the exterior. It's been fixed and faired and ready to look sexy. Anyone who's sailed on her will know it's one of the best ever performance cats ever built and it sails like a dream. One of my all time favs.

Give Phil Day a call.

Fritz was (is?) on the Gold Coast.

and still owned by Martin.

I'd need a little more than 15k for Louie, say 55k and 120k for Two Tribes. Then I could buy back XL2 and finish off and sail to Geelong.

XL2.............................Previously not for sale at any price , Now 120k But don't be fooled by the pics! They were taken a few years ago and do not represent the boat now.

http://www.multihullcentral.com/crowther-super-shockwave-39-performance-catamaran/

The interior photos on the web are new. It's the best it's ever looked inside and just needs a new lick of paint to the exterior. It's been fixed and faired and ready to look sexy. Anyone who's sailed on her will know it's one of the best ever performance cats ever built and it sails like a dream. One of my all time favs.

Give Phil Day a call.

Gary and Doug did a great job as far as they got. Last I heard the rig was stripped down and quoted. Still the same? If so still a bit to spend. Inside is fantastic. Daggerboards moved as I always wanted. New daggerboards and rudders. 1987 I fell in love with this boat. Owned it 1991 - 2010.

I'd need a little more than 15k for Louie, say 55k and 120k for Two Tribes. Then I could buy back XL2 and finish off and sail to Geelong.

Just to help you out ill go to $20k nuddy :-)

120 for T T, that's doubling your money, you can't do that!!

You don't know what I've spent.

I have a fair idea what Gary and Robyn have spent and what is still needed to be spent on XL2.

Yer your right Nuddy, but you never come out on top doing up a boat. I sold Vindaloo for half what it cost me.

I was trying to keep the old legend boats alive, but there is so many new boats on the market, it is hard to complete.It will be the same with XL2, its a legend boat to a small amount of people, the younger generation wouldn't even know its track record or give a hoot about it.

Don't get me wrong, I am thinking about it, but it has to be the right price.

Yer your right Nuddy, but you never come out on top doing up a boat. I sold Vindaloo for half what it cost me.

I was trying to keep the old legend boats alive, but there is so many new boats on the market, it is hard to complete.It will be the same with XL2, its a legend boat to a small amount of people, the younger generation wouldn't even know its track record or give a hoot about it.

Don't get me wrong, I am thinking about it, but it has to be the right price.

You bring this classic machine up to the sunny coast bro and I do foredeck for you at half the usual price.

Peter

Never do a boat up to sell. Do it up to use. Doing it up to sell is a waste of money and effort.

I got TT for a bargain price and spent more than that on it, to use it.

Gary and Robyn got XL2 for a bargain price and spent, who knows how much, on it to use it (pity they didn't get to use it).

I reckon it is a bargain at $120k

Thought it was fantasy land!!, skippers dream about getting up there!!

I'm a single hander, get to live the dream, no witnesses no mistakes!!

very nice boat well built, i believe it did a 2 handed round North Island. Would that be cat 1? Lost its rig last year so I guess has new rig and sails? They were asking about $190,000 with broken rig.

This boat is not a cruiser but a full on racer with a couple of bunks and a head in one of the hulls that you have to crawl through a hatch to get to.

Has awesome new asymmetric boards. Hull design maybe a bit deficient but not sure, I would think a 50' racer like this should run to more than 27 knots. Certainly would be an awesome boat to own.

The earlier southern ocean 50s had problems with the 2 beam configuration but I guess this was addressed with this boat.

Led Vodophone (orma 60) for an hour in the coastal classic.

888 is not a Southern Ocean 50. Southern Ocean 50 was Martyn's marketing name for the Crowther design # 318 of which only 2 were built and both were lengthened to 58' to try to overcome difficulties. 10 years later 888 reverts to the Crowther design # 304 style but at only 50' (304 is 60'), with the mast mounted on the main (centre) crossbeam and with a 'conventional' forebeam. 888 is actually more of a Bloomfield rather than Crowther, being from the time after Brett cut all links with sailing multihulls, handing over to Stuart Bloomfield.

Definitely capable of more than 27 knots. XL2 at 39' and a early 80's design managed 27 in the '93 Gladstone race. 888 would be a 30+ knot boat.

http://www.autobase.co.nz/boats-for-sale/Crowther/50/Catamaran/2065708.htm

http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au/listings/pdffullspec.php?DocumentID=4783494

Guys, thanks for the clarifications. That new rig and set of sails worth 200k ... ouch! Still not sure on CAT safety status as the link says it is currently geared up for CAT3 (coastal reqs I guess) ....

Mad dogs Tip truck!

Grainger MTB 920 Trimaran and winner of AMOC in the nineties

She sits on her mooring on the Central coast of NSW and is in need of a bit of love ........

PM me if youre interested.

Cutloose was indeed built for Gary. Cruising fast with another couple I recall as the brief.

post-33238-0-14477900-1413101729_thumb.jpg

post-33238-0-17707500-1413101756_thumb.jpg

post-33238-0-42126200-1413101788_thumb.jpg

Top Gun - was Australia's fastest ocean racer and almost could be again (excepting the ORMA 60).

In recent years brought back to OZ and refurbished by Gavin in Cairns in preparation for the ill-fated 'round Aust race'.

Rumour is she is getting new sails and coming to Pittwater.

post-33238-0-30189200-1415367955_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know the story of Gary Martin's home built cat from the mid 80's?

TUSK, grainger 36? built 'hands on' by Gary and Robyn. Capsized in Moreton Bay - rebuilt and used for a while then sold to Western Australia I believe. Nothing heard since then.

AfterGary and Robyn sold her to the West, she changed hands another couple of times. She then did a full circumnavigation, dropped a mast off Turkey. She is in Shaun Arber's yard and has been for a few years, now called "Charlie".

Top Gun - Lock's finest?
Launched 1986?
Line honours in 6 out of 8 races at Hamilton Island 1988.
Returning to the Australian Multihull Racing Scene for 2015

post-33238-0-01790000-1415494678_thumb.jpg

OK you guys, Can you help?

I'm the wrong side of the planet - BUT back in the 90's crewed on Mooloolaba Fire Truck during Hamilton Island wee, and yes that beauty did 30+ knots. Most insane sailing I've ever had the privilege to do. However back then did I bother taking any pictures of her in full flight - of course not.

Is there anyone out there that has photos other than the sad graveyard ne which is the only thing I can find online?

You're collective help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm the wrong side of the planet - BUT back in the 90's crewed on Mooloolaba Fire Truck during Hamilton Island wee, and yes that beauty did 30+ knots. Most insane sailing I've ever had the privilege to do. However back then did I bother taking any pictures of her in full flight - of course not.

Is there anyone out there that has photos other than the sad graveyard ne which is the only thing I can find online?

Don't have any old photos but it is moored just outside my local marina. You'll be pleased to know it has been cleaned up quite a lot and doesn't look too bad. Of course it will never look like it did in the good old days. I do like imagining how it would have been in its glory days as we go past it on the way to the race course. Still has a great stance on the water.

1985 38 Crowther Super Shockwave,

Nice Pair has 55 Marstrom mast, brand new screecher, new powdercoated beams, 5 new halyards, new Colligo shrouds, new diamond wires, newer tramp, gorgeous daggerboards and a race Record to beat the band. currently on ebay,cheap considering 2000 hours and $20k was just spent on her. $62k

yes, I will buy an ad.

r2akteamgoldenoldies.

saved my life when we stuffed her at 20+ knots, stopping the hull and my heart.

Mad dogs Tip truck!

She sits on her mooring on the Central coast of NSW and is in need of a bit of love ........

Big bird, same boat, ready to go, located pittwater, strong solid boat, many extras

included, can be sailed to your location, bargain of the year

Mad dogs Tip truck!

Big bird, same boat, ready to go, located pittwater, strong solid boat, many extras

50k ain't no bargain. Just sayin.

You got the bargain of the year mate.

Slick Willie sold recently for around that money - big bird looks like it's better equipped. Which one had the beams glassed in ie no folding.

Mad dogs Tip truck!

50k ain't no bargain. Just sayin.

You got the bargain of the year mate.

You found me out, green boat in a previous life, will have my new toy in pittwater by Sept 1

But seriously Big Bird - sorted, enter a race tomorrow, OCD level extras

Slick Willie was shown on the telly during the Tassie floods ,... on a mooring in the full flow of the flooding run stern in the air bow almost buried with big roughage screaming by ... she looked like she was on the limit glad to see she survived you couldnt miss that new and very bright yellow paint job think they had recently spent money on her so in pretty good condition she travelled on a semi trailer low version usually use for heavy machinery so that she could be quite snug on the back [demountable beams]

unfortunately MadDogs Tip Truck was on the mooring way to long and someone had got to all the fittings so unless she found a boatbuilder apprentice with money .... sad overall pretty reasonable Grainger design with alot of miles covered

Slick Willie was shown on the telly during the Tassie floods ,... on a mooring in the full flow of the flooding run stern in the air bow almost buried with big roughage screaming by ... she looked like she was on the limit glad to see she survived you couldnt miss that new and very bright yellow paint job think they had recently spent money on her so in pretty good condition she travelled on a semi trailer low version usually use for heavy machinery so that she could be quite snug on the back [demountable beams]

unfortunately MadDogs Tip Truck was on the mooring way to long and someone had got to all the fittings so unless she found a boatbuilder apprentice with money .... sad overall pretty reasonable Grainger design with alot of miles covered

So where has Slick gone as I may have some blood sweat and beers invested in that boat

just had to post this top-gun-pace-on-julie-geldard-pic-low-re

sic looking cat. i hear it nearly caught Wild Oats and Scallywag on the 10 mile downwind run in the last race at Hammo

It was great to roll up at the dock on the weekend and find a new old girl moved up to us from Pittwater to Shorncliffe.

Welcome Big Bird!!

post-10329-0-53927700-1474972419_thumb.jpg

so she sold , heard the price went right... but some one did well . good to see

I almost bought her in 2003. Got back after a few years os, and tracked down Harvey in mm. He wanted to sell it with the charter lease for a mill. Considering I could have bought it a few years before that for a quarter of that, I never bothered replying. Sad really, I loved that boat. Looks weird without the massive dual spinnaker poles resting in the bow cradles.

Adding to the reference here to Top Gun, I just enjoyed a wonderful delivery cruise, helping to drive her from Pittwater to Gold Coast. This is one beautiful 50' racing cat I have always wanted to climb aboard. 23 hours of motorsailiing at the beginning was washed away with more than that doing exactly what is recorded in the video. What a splendid kevlar foam example of Lock Crowther magic this is, just a joy to steer even in some pretty rough seas around Yamba, and I could not draw myself away from the front nets watching those bows slice through the soup.

Peter H

https://youtu.be/5f7MiwYimfk

I was very glad I was not out there in an F22 or even a couple of sizes bigger. Nothing like waterline length to bridge the mountains.

I was very glad I was not out there in an F22 or even a couple of sizes bigger. Nothing like waterline length to bridge the mountains.

Ah come on Pete it's really an F23.9 according to my tape😀

Adding to the reference here to Top Gun, I just enjoyed a wonderful delivery cruise, helping to drive her from Pittwater to Gold Coast. This is one beautiful 50' racing cat I have always wanted to climb aboard. 23 hours of motorsailiing at the beginning was washed away with more than that doing exactly what is recorded in the video. What a splendid kevlar foam example of Lock Crowther magic this is, just a joy to steer even in some pretty rough seas around Yamba, and I could not draw myself away from the front nets watching those bows slice through the soup.

Peter H

Top speed?

Peter H

Top speed?

Sitting on 15 over land and got up to 19 in bursts and we had 2 plus water in the face. Paddlewheel speedo did not record the max.

Interesting speeds to sleep in the pod at night with, occasionally the pod was bitch-slapped.

Thought I was doing weed with a zillion galaxies, shooting stars every 10 minutes, phosphorescence peeling off every wave and under the boat, and then high speed zigzag tracks of dolphins playing with us under a dark new moon.

Love that boat

Is Flat Chat still around in NZ...? It was $69,000 not long ago

Flat Chat looks like it was used as cover in a Blood Vs Crips gang shootout. Ok the sails do at least.

Taeping looks great in comparison http://www.spirit-marine.com/taeping/

Still, those yellow hulls are iconic.

Plenty of videos on YouTube to pass the time PIL

Yes I know those Seppo's will say "but it's a big lake & Webb Chiles said the steepest seas he had seen were on a lake" but seems like a waste for it to go to a lake especially after the mods in NZ. Racks & extended bows. It did look a little funky with those extended bows & the main beam & mast so far back. Still Flat Chat & co were fantastic to see buzz around on one hull in little breeze like a big beach cat vs. Top Gun ulumni like Raw Nerve & Rojntudjuu which looked like luxurious cruisers by comparison albeit fucking fast ones.

Infamous Pic of Flat Chat lazily flying a hull & more boat porn here: https://www.graingerdesigns.net/pic-s-1/back-pages/

I never knew silveraider was lost. I do remember seeing a raider cartwheel off manly.

I wept for the flesh wounds apparent on Windswept 2 when we landed at boatworks, but was pleased to find elsewhere in SEQ that this beautiful girl is looking smooth again and has a rig in the right place.

post-10329-0-75902100-1488545816_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Thanks for the messages of hope.Neurologist said in court I will neverwork as a Registered Nurse again. So its onward and upwards to a new life.

Have reorganised the cockpit to its- sort of- original setup but with a 40hl diesel.

Eighteen months of -sort of- work and nearly ready for a swim.

The memory of the trip from Sydney on Bullfrog kept me going during recovery.

Anyone with a suggestion for antifouling on this honey would be appreciated. Got up to 26knkts out of Pittwater and cruised at 20 knots.

Will be looking for some disabled crew both novices and experienced trimaran sailors.

Once again thanks to all the wellwishers.

Anyone for a Hobart? Well , at least a Moreton Island.

Onward and upwards

Cheers

Bottman

Great

Hi All

Thanks for the messages of hope.Neurologist said in court I will neverwork as a Registered Nurse again. So its onward and upwards to a new life.

Have reorganised the cockpit to its- sort of- original setup but with a 40hl diesel.

Anyone with a suggestion for antifouling on this honey would be appreciated. Got up to 26knkts out of Pittwater and cruised at 20 knots.

Will be looking for some disabled crew both novices and experienced trimaran sailors.

Onward and upwards

Cheers

Bottman

Great to hear mate..... We are all behind you.... good luck on the rest

Hi All

Onward and upwards

Cheers

Bottman

She just looks great Bottman, hope I can drop in one day and catch you there for a closer look around.

Peter

Peter H

Thank you for posting that. I think I'm in love - Top Gun is an absolute weapon

Peter H

Thank you for posting that. I think I'm in love - Top Gun is an absolute weapon

Here's a couple of other videos i found of Top Gun that you may enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOhNoVxs_Yw

Given my pedigree at gybing, I'm fairly sure that I could get a hitch on those horn cleats with the spinny sheets on Top Gun

Yeah, first thing I noticed on the boat, and were good at toe catching as well.

post-46369-0-82658200-1490447775_thumb.jpeg

Great to see this venerable old Mooloolaba Firetruck sailing in a SAGS race this afternoon. (Translation for Seppos - beer can race)

It was good to see Windswept II out sailing under jib yesterday.

Hopefully it's run of bad luck is over and the old girl will be smokin' around the local area for some time to come.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:08 AM, WetnWild said:
On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 12:42 AM, dewi_72 said:

Don't have any old photos but it is moored just outside my local marina. You'll be pleased to know it has been cleaned up quite a lot and doesn't look too bad. Of course it will never look like it did in the good old days. I do like imagining how it would have been in its glory days as we go past it on the way to the race course. Still has a great stance on the water.

post-63655-0-58620100-1467720049_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lock Crowther design Avatar.

^ I think it's the realization that there's not that many people in Oz that interested in offshore multihull racing. Sad really...

On 22/10/2017 at 12:21 AM, Jethrow said:

It was good to see Windswept II out sailing under jib yesterday.

Hopefully it's run of bad luck is over and the old girl will be smokin' around the local area for some time to come.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2000-CROWTHER-SAILING-CATAMARAN/OAG-AD-15558206/?cr=3&psq=(((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer+used+boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer+new+boats])|SiloType%3D[Private+used+boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo+and+near+new+boats]))%26HullType%3D[Multi])%26BoatType%3D[Sail])&pso=0&pss=~LastUpdated

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:54 AM, trisailin said:

post-63655-0-58620100-1467720049_thumb.jpg

Hi Trisailin & WetnWild, just been looking for photos again and you've made my day! God she looks great, just like I remember her. If ever you are on the water and she's going past at full speed - please post a picture. One of the finest I've sailed, not refined but mad fun!

Cheers from a Happy Welshman ;-)

I think it's been moved from Scarborough. Anyone know where it went?

Fantastic to see Mooloolaba Firetruck our sailing WAGS yesterday. 

Eerily similar in stance on the water from fore and aft to a DIAM 24. 

I heard that Sean is sailing it in the Brisbane to Noumea and then in the race around Noumea.

At one stage he was taking about converting it to foiling using foils from TNZ in AC33

15 minutes ago, DtM said:

I heard that Sean is sailing it in the Brisbane to Noumea and then in the race around Noumea.

At one stage he was taking about converting it to foiling using foils from TNZ in AC33

Got to love club gossip.... LOL maybe neither are true