Rawhide

Older fast Aus multies

In other news ….Paul has finally got rags on Bags and boy do they look sexy!

Will let Him share the details......

72482570_2185127471587693_6976801272837963776_n.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, harryproa said:

To get the conversation back to something interesting, how about Dan and Pil tell us how they managed to flip XL2?  How it was found?  How it was righted?  What, if any, damage?  What, if any, upgrades are planned?  

I will very soon... just waiting on some info from insurance...  

Cynaphobe, if we apply your costing deliberations to a company such as BHP then this country should be giving iron ore to China for about say 2cents a tonne, correct? Don't ever go into federal politics Australia couldn't afford you. Areas marked on the bows of bullfrog by someone using a moisture meter were in fact almost perfectly aligned with the denser balsa that Ian Johnston built the stress points on Bullfrog with. Similar technique was used by me after talking with Ian.  How heavy is AVE GITANA? Cheers Bottman

Bottman,

I said I would stay away unless you said something really stupid. And now you have.

The person who marked areas on the bow (and probably other places) using a moisture meter was the same person you hold up as the greatest surveyor of all time. You are an idiot.

Take your meds, fix your boat and go sailing... or ... find someone to give it to to restore her.   PLEASE

• Like 2

Chris, who I bought Bullfrog from marked the bows at Montys in the first year he owned her after using a moisture meter. He then had a vacuum pump connected to about twenty plastic tubes and let it run for a few weeks. That was when I first met Chris. The bows of Bullfrog/Current Sunshine looked like a Doctor Who character with numerous tubes attached  I now know this was pointless as the denser balsa Ian used in the stress points shows up as moisture.If you know anything about moisture meters you have to calibrate them as the moisture content reading accuracy is set by using a known moisture content of a control piece of balsa , in this case.Your reply would appear to some people as Disability Discrimination/bullying, is that what you are trying to achieve?  is this a process of a conspiracy to help someone get my boat cheaply? . Could you please supply your name and address so the relevant government departments can get involved. Bottman.

4 hours ago, DtM said:

Bottman,

I said I would stay away unless you said something really stupid. And now you have.

The person who marked areas on the bow (and probably other places) using a moisture meter was the same person you hold up as the greatest surveyor of all time. You are an idiot.

Take your meds, fix your boat and go sailing... or ... find someone to give it to to restore her.   PLEASE

Can I suggest that all Bottshit replies are put on the other thread. 

• Like 2

First haulout at Montys had the yard experts making comments about the rot and problems with Bullfrog. I invited them to do a tap test on the floats, which they all did. Then to mark the problem areas on each side and the decks with a small piece of masking tape. Then tell me why the identified areas were the same all way round each float? on each side? Answer was the same from  all of them "Fuck, is that where the bulkheads are"? Bottman

Hay everyone. 

After a few years without a boat   Im back with this Weapon from Kangaroo Island. I’m currently in Harvey bay giving her a  tidy  up . She Will be in the piss  before Christmas Terrorising the sandy Straits.Before heading north at Easter to do some racing And cruising full time . Any info on the history of the boat would be great . All I know is it guy name Philip designed and built her around 1990 South Australia Kangaroo Island area she’s got a new set of rags and is a flat bottom dagger board boat . 

AFCD6EE8-3610-40FC-996C-7B306CF7E684.jpeg

78E3EFD2-12EA-4049-A438-38485F6A22B3.jpeg

DD93EB06-EAC3-4596-BD37-13EEBC7501AE.png

531BA869-90CC-4D67-849E-EBEE6B15DC45.jpeg

9B21FC03-23DA-45EF-8F6B-AC983BE880D4.jpeg

4D2FCB81-2044-4561-8CBB-58F7E9D1F370.jpeg

7DBBBD2C-C04A-4321-B44D-795E8F4AFCAB.jpeg

51E40379-AF04-481D-A5DF-08DEC82D9D6F.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 3:34 PM, Hangtime said:

In other news ….Paul has finally got rags on Bags and boy do they look sexy!

Will let Him share the details......

72482570_2185127471587693_6976801272837963776_n.jpg

Yep new Sails for Bags. I commissioned 1Sails for these and they really great sails. We are having to do a little tuning on the jib as expected but they maximise the sail area, about 66sqm for the main and 44 sqm for the jib. I now have some forestay tension issues so and looking at adding running backstays at the bolt that holds the forestay onto the mast. Also am working on the sheeting position for the jib as we are at the front of the track and still need more down force. I think the main halyard and jammer needs replacing as it is slipping plus the mast rotators also need some work. Captain Tricko put together this little video for me when we went for a test sail on the weekend. The boat in the distance is Zero. We seemed to be keeping hight against them however they were a little faster than Bags. Lots of learning to do to get the best out of her yet. 

• Like 1

Anyone have any thoughts on why Trilogy has sat for so long ?

From the pics she looks in good shape from all the way up north here....

On 11/12/2019 at 5:01 AM, Keith said:

Assuming there's nothing structurally wrong with her I think it's just a fairly unique boat that needs to find a fairly unique buyer. She's very wide, almost 10m long and has very limited accommodations. Top that off with the canting rig and I think the only people who could justify buying her are serious racers, and I guess they have their hands full. There's a similar one in Europe that has been for sale for a very, very long time as well. This one is non-folding with a fixed rig and and boards in the floats though: https://www.multihull.nl/multihulls/used-multihulls/79160.grainger10m/graingerTR10.buitenfotos.html

On 11/12/2019 at 12:05 PM, Paul Bagatelle said:

Yep new Sails for Bags. I commissioned 1Sails for these and they really great sails. We are having to do a little tuning on the jib as expected but they maximise the sail area, about 66sqm for the main and 44 sqm for the jib. I now have some forestay tension issues so and looking at adding running backstays at the bolt that holds the forestay onto the mast. Also am working on the sheeting position for the jib as we are at the front of the track and still need more down force. I think the main halyard and jammer needs replacing as it is slipping plus the mast rotators also need some work. Captain Tricko put together this little video for me when we went for a test sail on the weekend. The boat in the distance is Zero. We seemed to be keeping hight against them however they were a little faster than Bags. Lots of learning to do to get the best out of her yet. 

IMG_1528.mov

By the sail shape if this is up wind you need to pull on another 1.5 2 meters of main sheet .this will take out the extreme depth in the middle of the main and also give you some forestay tension . Hope this helps 

17 hours ago, Tylo said:

Assuming there's nothing structurally wrong with her I think it's just a fairly unique boat that needs to find a fairly unique buyer. She's very wide, almost 10m long and has very limited accommodations. Top that off with the canting rig and I think the only people who could justify buying her are serious racers, and I guess they have their hands full. There's a similar one in Europe that has been for sale for a very, very long time as well. This one is non-folding with a fixed rig and and boards in the floats though: https://www.multihull.nl/multihulls/used-multihulls/79160.grainger10m/graingerTR10.buitenfotos.html

On 11/12/2019 at 3:01 PM, Keith said:

Great boat with nothing wrong.... I would have bought the boat had i been able to get insurance....

It actually has a great interior and surprisingly big

It could also easily be dumbed down to a manageable 2 handed weekender

Try building or buying that today.... 

You asked what happened to XL2... Well here is my basic report

Just to clarify the incident .... We ventured out with a forecast of no more than 20... We turned south and hoisted the masthead kite with full main (16 knots wind ) Boat speed was comfortable at 17- 20.. We sailed 8-10 miles with not a hint of nosedive. We jibed and heated a couple of degrees and maybe the breeze was now 20 ish. We surfed down a very short wave (NE wind swell) and it grabbed the front beam and stopped us dead sending the sterns up in the air.. Mike Peberdy Paul Nudd and others will have experienced this many times.
One of the issues is as you get launched forward into the cabin top, you have nothing to hang on to except the sheets in your hand and reaction is to use them to hang on where they need to be dumped so there was a delay for sure.
lessons for me.... I did not feel overpowered at all but yet I sent it over so my safety margin was clearly not enough. If I'd have had a reef and either a Frac kite or zero up instead, It would likely not have happened and boat speed would have been down but only by a little. i was way in front racing monos so there really wasn't a need for the extra speed.
It's something I need to balance. I've owned boats like this because speed is my thing. (and many others here) ...I'm just a hopeless adrenalin junkie but I've learned my lesson as i could have killed my mates in my quest for the rush

I need to also apologise to the multi community for adding weight to the idea that multi's are unsafe.  Insurance on multis is hard enough to get without more mishaps like mine.

I have bought the boat back and we are rebuilding

Thanks 

Pil

IMG_5652.JPG

• Like 7

Good point regarding the sheets.

The guy holding the sheet needs to be braced forward so that exact scenario does not happen. Having guys casually sitting around holding a sheet does not cut it when shit hits the fan.

Give her 4 foot extra bow and she will be sweet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bushsailor said:

Good point regarding the sheets.

The guy holding the sheet needs to be braced forward so that exact scenario does not happen. Having guys casually sitting around holding a sheet does not cut it when shit hits the fan.

Give her 4 foot extra bow and she will be sweet. 

Well YOU oughta Know!! With What you've done to your boat is spectacular!

Ian Johnston told me he and Lock Crowther tried 5 bulbous bows before coming up with the current shape of Bullfrogs stem . That's the ultimate test for a theory. Don't forget it. Its the reason why Bullfrog/& her other naming  iterations, culminated in its present form, is so safe. Many clever individuals had a part to play in Bullfrogs development. Hopefully she will go on to greater glory . Reni Gelder gave me some great advice and some of his improvements to Shark Angels (sister ship to Bullfrog,foam, as opposed to long grain balsa).His partner Sandra I think ,was not impressed when she said Reni would buy dehydrated water if it was available. I said we have it here. Oh wonderful she said. Then look of scorn when I said"Just add water" .Ian had great admaration for TOP GUN . It was Locks greatest achievement to the point and sadly one of his last designs.Cheers Bottman.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Great boat with nothing wrong.... I would have bought the boat had i been able to get insurance....

It actually has a great interior and surprisingly big

It could also easily be dumbed down to a manageable 2 handed weekender

Try building or buying that today.... 

You asked what happened to XL2... Well here is my basic report

Just to clarify the incident .... We ventured out with a forecast of no more than 20... We turned south and hoisted the masthead kite with full main (16 knots wind ) Boat speed was comfortable at 17- 20.. We sailed 8-10 miles with not a hint of nosedive. We jibed and heated a couple of degrees and maybe the breeze was now 20 ish. We surfed down a very short wave (NE wind swell) and it grabbed the front beam and stopped us dead sending the sterns up in the air.. Mike Peberdy Paul Nudd and others will have experienced this many times.
One of the issues is as you get launched forward into the cabin top, you have nothing to hang on to except the sheets in your hand and reaction is to use them to hang on where they need to be dumped so there was a delay for sure.
lessons for me.... I did not feel overpowered at all but yet I sent it over so my safety margin was clearly not enough. If I'd have had a reef and either a Frac kite or zero up instead, It would likely not have happened and boat speed would have been down but only by a little. i was way in front racing monos so there really wasn't a need for the extra speed.
It's something I need to balance. I've owned boats like this because speed is my thing. (and many others here) ...I'm just a hopeless adrenalin junkie but I've learned my lesson as i could have killed my mates in my quest for the rush

I need to also apologise to the multi community for adding weight to the idea that multi's are unsafe.  Insurance on multis is hard enough to get without more mishaps like mine.

I have bought the boat back and we are rebuilding

Thanks 

Pil

IMG_5652.JPG

Do you have trilogy's number?

Aloha PIL66-X2

Could you please message me?  Your message box tells me that you are not accepting messages at this time.

Or you can email me at merlinhawaii@gmail.com

Mahalo

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

We are making a comeback..... my wallet is twitching

How are you going @Skullduggerydave...?

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

Great to see that.  Its such a relief to get them back into the water and all fixed.  We had a lightning strike back in June 2019 and it took out everything so I know the feeling of finally getting back in the water and sailing!!  Congrats!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wess said:

Great to see that.  Its such a relief to get them back into the water and all fixed.  We had a lightning strike back in June 2019 and it took out everything so I know the feeling of finally getting back in the water and sailing!!  Congrats!!

This is actually coming out to start but i know what you mean. The boat doesn't look damaged and structurally it's perfect but there is plenty going on.... It's not going to be a quick rebuild

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

This is actually coming out to start but i know what you mean. The boat doesn't look damaged and structurally it's perfect but there is plenty going on.... It's not going to be a quick rebuild

for what i hear was an insurance write off she looks in great shape. isn't most of the work you're doing separate to the capsize, as in extend bows? financially you must be laughing as id have to guess the actual repairs to get her back as she was wouldn't be all that much. good for you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Ah sorry about that. Best wishes for a quick and successful rebuild!

1 hour ago, square top said:

for what i hear was an insurance write off she looks in great shape. isn't most of the work you're doing separate to the capsize, as in extend bows? financially you must be laughing as id have to guess the actual repairs to get her back as she was wouldn't be all that much. good for you. 

Firstly I had to buy back the boat. Next is i have to put a rig on it ... replacement carbon wing would be $100-150 k at a guess... Then all new instruments / motor / all sails..

I won't come out in front

8 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Firstly I had to buy back the boat. Next is i have to put a rig on it ... replacement carbon wing would be $100-150 k at a guess... Then all new instruments / motor / all sails..

I won't come out in front

I was surprised to learn myself when I built that the hulls are by far the cheapest part of the boat. Just a fraction of the cost of the rig and sails.

All the best , I hope you can raise the money to do it right.

Mmmmmm, how long are the remaining mast chunks?

41 minutes ago, plywoodboy said:

Do you need tomato plant stakes for your gardening?

11 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

I need 3-4 meters .... I can get that but will need to check the condition of whats there

4 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I need 3-4 meters .... I can get that but will need to check the condition of whats there

I only need 13 m of pieces, you are welcome to the rest! High modulus carbon like that is gold.

7 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Have you tried Etamax for repairs/new build?

http://www.etamax.com.au

On 1/22/2020 at 8:33 PM, plywoodboy said:

@plywoodboy..... Can you email or call me please... paul@anchorplastics.com.au   0413361999

On 1/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

Same same —I’m ready to rumble ,, heading down to Newcastle for a week study Cxwain cours  And catch up with the famous cliffhanger while I’m there .   

5C76FB47-D7DE-40DC-ACD6-C2E10AEF730B.jpeg

On 1/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

Same same —I’m ready to rumble ,, heading down to Newcastle for a week study Cxwain cours  And catch up with the famous cliffhanger while I’m there .   

B3313D3D-A991-4463-9DE4-B7D719B8F384.jpeg

5DA4E0F8-7599-4744-B314-52CF6F80DFC5.jpeg

EACA346B-957D-414E-85A5-A1F0909A9975.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 6:36 AM, Skullduggerydave said:

B3313D3D-A991-4463-9DE4-B7D719B8F384.jpeg

5DA4E0F8-7599-4744-B314-52CF6F80DFC5.jpeg

EACA346B-957D-414E-85A5-A1F0909A9975.jpeg

What is that tri and tell us about the beams. That is really interesting!!

On 2/2/2020 at 9:47 PM, Wess said:

What is that tri and tell us about the beams. That is really interesting!!

Was she once known as "Ben Bolt"?

2 hours ago, craig fraser said:

Ben Bolt was built by my uncle Col Fraser

as a slightly larger sistership to Devils 3, also a Lex Nicol design

I asked because of the metal framed beams - I think the only tris I have seen with them were Ben Bolt and Manureva, looks like I now have to add another one.

I always liked the look of Ben Bolt - good on your uncle!

There were others, Hired Hand a 33 ft Nicol in lime green, Assassin, 36 stretched to 42ft and from memory a couple of 31 footers as well, one of them I think was owned at some stage by Terry Worthing who used to own Groucho Marx, a Spindrift 37

On 2/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, craig fraser said:

Hi Skull, who is the new owner? She was owned and built by my father Cliff back in the early 80's

Hey mate ... what’s you ph no I will get you 2 connect. The current owner is not really in the Multihull seen and does not really understand the significance of this boat I’m sure he’ll be glad to hear from you and any photos you have or anything of its former glory she’s now got a tiller steer set up which is shocking so yeah any help will be great . He’s sailing her regularly we took out a couple of times while I was there had acouple of changes but nothing major .