Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony-F18

Ben giving a beating...

Ben loses his cool and decides to assault a cameraman and press boat driver...

"Tripple Olympic Gold Medallist, Finn dinghy sailor Ben Ainslie (GBR), assaults a skipper and a cameraman after finishing second in today's race at the Perth 2011 ISAF Sailing World Championships":

http://sailingpix.photoshelter.com/gallery/Ben-Ainslie-assaults-skipper-and-photographer-at-World-Champs/G0000uXhrsGqrj50

While understandable if they wronged him somehow, I dont think this is the way to go about it.

What will be interesting is the UK Olympic team, and ISAF's, reaction to all this.

Yes, for the time being give Ben the benefit of the doubt and say that the photoboat driver got a bit too close.

But to jump off your Finn, get aboard and start to hammer on the guy?

How on earth does anyone defend what he did?

Guess Ben just went from trying to beat Elvstrom's record to proving Elvstrom's point about in the process of winning, yet losing respect.....

Impressive swan dive though.

this will solve a lot of problems with the "like watching the grass grow" image of sailing

finally a 'John McEnroe' of sailing

what a fucking beast those Finns are, didn't even look like capsizing, it just sat there like a S&S 34 and waited for him

F-18 why are we in AC Anarchy with this ?

this will solve a lot of problems with the "like watching the grass grow" image of sailing

finally a 'John McEnroe' of sailing

what a fucking beast those Finns are, didn't even look like capsizing, it just sat there like a S&S 34 and waited for him

F-18 why are we in AC Anarchy with this ?

Rumor had it that Ainslie was talking to more than a couple of AC teams.

sorry multimoron i'll think i'll do what suits me starting with ignoring advice from ppl who can't navigate a forum

great scoop btw

Not looking good for Ben, a Rule 69 protest which could lead to a two year ban:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/ben-ainslie/8948061/Ben-Ainslie-assaults-cameraman-after-boarding-TV-boat-at-World-Sailing-Championships-in-Perth.html

"His actions were reported by event organisers as an allegation of gross misconduct to the jury, a serious breach of Rule 69 regulations that carries a maximum two year ban.

“He shouted at him several times during the course of racing that he was in the end but by the end, he lost his temper,” a spokesman for the RYA said.

“He has apologised but it has gone to the jury who have gone ahead with a Rule 69 hearing."

As Ben is taking that step off the bow the driver should have nailed in reverse to help him on his way.

Sounds like a similar scene to that guy from the Laser class a few years ago, can't recall the name.

May be the reason no one has signed him up since SKM.

Brodie Cobb. I just sent in a story to Scot that said Ben pulled a "Brodie Cobb."

Tweet from Team GBR says he's been disqualified from Races 9 and 10. Total bullshit... he should get more than that. He should be sent home from the worlds down there, and not allowed to sail tomorrow. That's the minimum. He also should be suspended from the sport for a period of time. He clearly boarded some one else's boat, uninvited, and physically pushed people around. Doesn't matter if he threw punches or not. He pushed people around, yelled at them, and tried to physically intimidate.

Total bullshit. Star treatment.

Tweet from Team GBR says he's been disqualified from Races 9 and 10. Total bullshit... he should get more than that. He should be sent home from the worlds down there, and not allowed to sail tomorrow. That's the minimum. He also should be suspended from the sport for a period of time. He clearly boarded some one else's boat, uninvited, and physically pushed people around. Doesn't matter if he threw punches or not. He pushed people around, yelled at them, and tried to physically intimidate.

I don't agree with that at all. He didn't assault another sailor; this was about a power boat interfering with a sailing race at the highest level. Since when do sailing rules apply to power boats?

He clearly lost it, but without knowing the facts I would not be too quick to judge a guy who clearly has a record of performing under pressure. Perhaps the occupants of the boat were arguing with him, intimidating him with their boat, etc. It definitely takes two to tango. This is like road rage - doesn't reflect well upon anyone but definitely takes actions on both sides to escalate. Then you have the old Brit/Aussie mutual antagonism playing in. Perhaps they were put up to it by Rupert Murdoch. One never knows.

You'd hope that ISAF dealt with BA as they would have any other competitor who did that. Haven't seen the Cobb incident yet, hopefully that one shows it to be true?

OT but on AC and also from Freo, an IM interview (audio)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-10/interview-iain-murray/3724154

America's Cup regatta director Iain Murray spoke to Grandstand's Karen Tighe about getting back in the water as a competitor in Fremantle at this week's World Sailing Championships.

So he scores two DGM's (Disqualification for gross misconduct not excludable under rule 90.3 Guess they did enough so he wont medal here but not exclude him from any future events.

That appears not to be the end of the story. I don't know if it's RYA or ISAF next, but this will be heard further.

blowboater rage...that last guy i saw try that crap got his ass kicked on the spot and the sent home for good....

Brodie Cobb. I just sent in a story to Scot that said Ben pulled a "Brodie Cobb."

No comprison between Ben's brief (and understandable but unacceptable) temper flare, and Cobb's sustained bad behaviour.

Ben is too big to fail. Any other competitor in the world would have had a one year suspension at minimum.

Not excusing the behaviour but would like to hear what the powerboat driver did.

Far to many RIBs on the course these days, remember the fella that got run over by a camera man while in his sailboat at the Worlds a few years ago?

I don't agree with that at all. He didn't assault another sailor; this was about a power boat interfering with a sailing race at the highest level. Since when do sailing rules apply to power boats?

He clearly lost it, but without knowing the facts I would not be too quick to judge a guy who clearly has a record of performing under pressure. Perhaps the occupants of the boat were arguing with him, intimidating him with their boat, etc. It definitely takes two to tango. This is like road rage - doesn't reflect well upon anyone but definitely takes actions on both sides to escalate. Then you have the old Brit/Aussie mutual antagonism playing in. Perhaps they were put up to it by Rupert Murdoch. One never knows.

It was actually RRS 69 DSQ Gross Misconduct in both races - "GBR 3 is to be scored DGM for races 9 and 10".

Naturally the photo boat was wrong, but it was out there as part of the official racing setup. So the correct way would be to protest and request redress.

It'll be hard to draw the line. Is it ok to jump onto the Jury Boat to have a "friendly chat"? To grab the judge? To punch a spectator that yelled at the start? This is why we have rule 69!

Will the driver be penalized? Or the cameraman?

Sportsmanship on both parts is clearly in question. But BA stands to lose everything. Will he work for the AC after this? What is his best course of action after his series of apologies? If he has a good PR manager, perhaps he can work his way back into the AC good graces after doing some sort of penance work.

Without double checking, was this event a final qualifier for the Finn competitors for the Olympics? Presumably that trip is over for Ben and he won't be sailing for the UK in his home country. It's a shame really. A shame that anger took over common sense. And on a global stage.

In my opinion, it's about time that someone competing beat the head off a powerboat driver. In a sailing event there is almost no excuse to be exceeding ten knots (maybe on the 49er course). 95% of coaches who have been sailing for years understand this and have respect for the racing. Mark-layers, safety boats and media boats need to get this into their heads!

On a side note, how could you ban one of the best sailors in the world at a time when sailing is doing so well in the mainstream media? a ban was never on the cards

Without double checking, was this event a final qualifier for the Finn competitors for the Olympics? Presumably that trip is over for Ben and he won't be sailing for the UK in his home country. It's a shame really. A shame that anger took over common sense. And on a global stage.

Ben was already selected for the olympics (september). So this was "just" about the world title.

On a side note, how could you ban one of the best sailors in the world at a time when sailing is doing so well in the mainstream media? a ban was never on the cards

Could you or I do this without a ban? Or does the RRS apply differently to legends?

I guess that the comparison with Paul Elvstrøm ended today.

I remember being a marshal boat in the Ac and the shit we got from spectators was unbelievable. So I think the organisers should look hard at the exclusion zone. Ben is in the zone and he will be coming down from racing ,any one getting in the way is to blame .If the rib was not there none of this would have happened. Same as a spectator running across the track at a F1 meet. Ben should have pulled the guys to one side and have a word not in front of the media.

Ben was already selected for the olympics (september). So this was "just" about the world title.

Could you or I do this without a ban? Or does the RRS apply differently to legends?

I guess that the comparison with Paul Elvstrøm ended today.

Thanks for the clarification. So the risk he has now is if he gets suspended by ISAF, he will not be racing.

WRT to suspending or penalizing a legend and how it will 'play' in the media. It's news that will quite likely go beyond sailing media, once ISAF's decision comes down. And like RC's capsize in SF, it will bring attention to the sport.

From what I understand it was quite a windy day over in Perth so I doubt that a wave from a small RIB would cost him his race.

He finished that race in 2nd place, just behind the number 2 overall, so how bad could it have been really?

It was probably some frustration about not winning the race and taking it out on the media guys.

From the Guardian

Ben Ainslie disqualified from World Championships after TV row

• British sailor upset after feeling impeded by TV boat<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">• Ainslie swam from his boat to media boat to complain

Ben-Ainslie-007.jpgBen Ainslie arrives back with his boat at the Royal Perth Annexe after being involved in an incident on course during a Finn class race at the World Sailing Championships in Perth. Photograph: Greg Wood/AFP/Getty ImagesBen Ainslie has been disqualified from the World Championships in Perth, Australia after diving from his boat, swimming to a television boat, boarding it and remonstrating with its crew. The Briton can now not win a medal at the event, meaning it will be the first time he has not finished in the top three at the regatta.

The three-time Olympic gold medallist finished race nine second to Holland's Pieter Jan Postma, but felt impeded by the media boat's wake on the downwind leg. After the Finn race ended, Ainslie swum over to the offending boat, clambered aboard, argued with the crew, then dived back in the water and swam back to his own boat.

Ainslie said in a statement: "On the final downwind leg of the race, I was hindered by a media boat, the actions of which I felt were seriously impeding my progress in the race.

"Clearly with it being a World Championship, emotions are running high and in the heat of the moment after the race I boarded the media boat to make my views known to the crew. I realise this was an inappropriate course of action and have already apologised to those concerned."

Ainslie, who had held an eight-point lead over the field, was retrospectively disqualified from the race, and was then also disqualified from race 10 meaning he can no longer win a medal.

From what I understand it was quite a windy day over in Perth so I doubt that a wave from a small RIB would cost him his race.

He finished that race in 2nd place, just behind the number 2 overall, so how bad could it have been really?

It was probably some frustration about not winning the race and taking it out on the media guys.

One perspective here

"The drama unfolded after Ainslie finished second to Dutchman Pieter-Jan Postma. But he became enraged at the manoeuvring of the television boat so close to the fleet. Postma rode the wake of the camera boat to help him cross the line in first place.

The Briton’s boat was almost swamped by the waves whipped up from the camera crew’s craft, which only added to his anger.""

But BA stands to lose everything. Will he work for the AC after this?

He'll get a job any time any place. He might just need to lower his hourly rate 20% but that's about it. Unless ISAF decides to ban him for a couple of years. Then it will really be hard to get back on his feet. On the other hand he would have the perfect excuse for a long vacation :-)

Actually, if you had taken a moment to do some research you would note that he is not sailing tomorrow, that with the DMG scores he received from today he is in 11th place and will not be participating in the medal race tomorrow. What the Jury there decided was all they could do, they brought him up on rule 69 but they can only punish him for THIS EVENT they do not have the power to suspend him from the sport for any period of time. I suspect that will be in the days to come. And just to be clear no one cannot ban him from sailing- only from entering and partaking in any event using the Racing Rules of Sailing - so if anyone felt like writing SIs with their own set of rules he would be free to participate...

http://www.perth2011.com/competition/PERTH2011/SAM002000/results

SA is evidently the place to be when sailing news happens:

96 User(s) are reading this topic

31 members, 60 guests, 5 anonymous users

WRT to suspending or penalizing a legend and how it will 'play' in the media. It's news that will quite likely go beyond sailing media, once ISAF's decision comes down. And like RC's capsize in SF, it will bring attention to the sport.

It's already all over mainstream media. So if any PR is good PR the sport is on a roll right now.

I've often complained on the lack of profiles in the sport, longing back to the good old days with Ted Turner and Blackaller. I guess sailing just got our own McEnroe. Not really a bad thing, even if it might cost Ben another olympic medal...

SA is evidently the place to be when sailing news happens:

96 User(s) are reading this topic

31 members, 60 guests, 5 anonymous users

Nah. SA is lagging. Twitter's been on fire for a few hours...

The tough part is that despite the incident he was leading the event at the time, even with a second place finish in the 9th race.

Certainly a costly mistake that will likely prevent him from competing in the Olympics, which he had a good chance of winning.

This is not justifiable in any sport you can't just lose your cool and throw people around. Especially as a top level professional representing a sport you have to handle yourself better than this. We have all been there with rage and wanted to act out some do and some don't but those that do need to be delt with. Bad for the sport and doesn't make anyone look good. He should be tossed from event

The tough part is that despite the incident he was leading the event at the time, even with a second place finish in the 9th race.

Certainly a costly mistake that will likely prevent him from competing in the Olympics, which he had a good chance of winning.

A shame. On all counts.

ISAF needs to look at this dispassionately without consideration of any downstream consequences for the Olympics or Team GBR. Treating this in any other way will undermine what little credibility ISAF has.

The photos say it all:

- This is a clear Rule 69 violation and should come with banishment from the sport for a minimum one year. The jury in Perth said so and punished him to the fullest extent they were allowed under the rules.

- Look at the pictures -> where I live that call that assault. The authorities in Perth should take him in and charge him with a crime, before he can leave (flee?) the country. Not doing so will also undermine their credibility and let it be known that visiting dignitaries to AUS can expect special treatment.

So where do you live, that such a photo -- without charges being pressed by anyone involved -- should result in the authorities taking a person in and charging him with a crime?

A shame. On all counts.

Spare us the handwringing ...sailerboy has a long history of slagging off Ben Anslie and any team that he has been involved with.

Not to mention he hates the fact that Ben is trying to win the Olympics rather than competeing in russel world seriesof the americas cup...

I'll take a bet that BA wins the Finn gold..

A shame. On all counts.

Spare us the handwringing ...sailerboy has a long history of slagging off Ben Anslie and any team that he has been involved with.

Not to mention he hates the fact that Ben is trying to win the Olympics rather than competeing in russel world seriesof the americas cup...

RO!, why don't you spare us your typical bullshit and instead come up with a few posts of my "long history" that support your claim ? Maybe SKM for being a pompus ass but not BA or any other TO member.

I don't care either way if Ben wins the Olympics or jumps into the AC, but why don't you disprove me and list a few of my posts that support your point ?

Didn't think you could. Loser.

Off eating peyote buttons with MSP again ?

well the media coverage is certainly up here in GB. This even made our main news at tea time. Sailing has never done that before!

From various statements it seems he didn't actually hit anyone, but the photos do indicate some pushing around. I guess we wait and see what ISAF decide.

RYA statement

http://www.rya.org.uk/skandiateamgbr/latestNews/Pages/articlewrapper.aspx?pageUrl=%2Fnewsevents%2Fnews%2FPages%2FPressStatementBenAinslieincidentatSailingWorldChampionshipsSaturday10December.aspx

'I’m very sorry that the jury decided to react the way they did over something which really wasn’t as big as it was blown up to be. '

Hmm. Maybe not the smartest thing to say. Take the penalty and move on.

RYA statement

http://www.rya.org.u...10December.aspx

'I'm very sorry that the jury decided to react the way they did over something which really wasn't as big as it was blown up to be. '

Hmm. Maybe not the smartest thing to say. Take the penalty and move on.

I'm not sure the jury's reaction was the one that mattered, maybe their interpretation of the event but not their reaction.

From Sparky:

"There have been various rumours in the media about Ben having ‘assaulted’ the driver of the boat. As far as we’re concerned there wasn’t an assault which took place, and as far as the driver was concerned that was part of his statement to the jury so we’re pretty keen to put that to bed and recognised that that’s a bit of over exaggeration and sensationalism.

"While we accept the penalty from the jury and do not condone Ben’s behaviour, I would hope, on the basis of the jury’s facts found, that it is recognised that lessons need to be learned both from the side of the International Sailing Federation as organising authority as well as the sailors. At the moment the sport seems to be fumbling its way into trying to make the sport more appealing for television but surely there is a better way than trialling new race formats, rule regulations and specifically in this case media initiatives than trialling them at the World Championship which is arguably the most important event in the Olympic cycle outside of the Games themselves."

A shame. On all counts.

RO!, why don't you spare us your typical bullshit and instead come up with a few posts of my "long history" that support your claim ? Maybe SKM for being a pompus ass but not BA or any other TO member.

I don't care either way if Ben wins the Olympics or jumps into the AC, but why don't you disprove me and list a few of my posts that support your point ?

here's the latest one ubertroll...

I'm sure it was just an accident and he really didn't mean to abandon his boat, swim over, board the photog boat and rattle their cage a bit.

As for msp..I was calling him the crazed indian when when you and the oraclelites were praising him for his non existing lawsuits...

Im with Ben, media boats should not be so close to the fleet as at the end of the day as much as isaf may try, sailing is not a spectator sport but is a bloody good sport at that though. I am not counting out his actions as he should of just left it and expressed his feelings or protested at the end of the day. I do not feel he should be banned from sailing by isaf, however he should be if anything fined and made to make a press video apology to ALL sailors in the world especially youth sailors to show his actions are not correct and should not be repeated. At the end of the day you cant fault the man, he has done alot for the sport over the years especially sailing in the UK and gives alot of time to youth sailors in the UK. When push comes to shove he has to be driven and aggressive to be as successful as he is. He would not have any gold medals if he just pussy footed around.

A shame. On all counts.

here's the latest one ubertroll...

I'm sure it was just an accident and he really didn't mean to abandon his boat, swim over, board the photog boat and rattle their cage a bit.

As for msp..I was calling him the crazed indian when when you and the oraclelites were praising him for his non existing lawsuits...

Apparently sarcasm is beyond the comprehension level of the simplist of minds.

Keep digging, and let me know if you need a shovel, or maybe a backhoe, better yet, take your childish spat to your mom and complain.

Slap a US$ 500,000 fine on him and be done with it. The fine has to be painful enough to deter others. Can't afford the fine? Thrown out for 2 years.

From the photos, it appears that BAcommitted “assault” but not “battery”. In Michigan, here are the definitions:

“Assault—Definition: An assault is anyintentional, unlawful threat or offer to do bodily injury to another by force,under circumstances which create a well-founded fear of imminent peril, coupledwith the apparent present ability to carry out the act if not prevented.”

“Battery—Definition: A battery is thewillful or intentional touching of a person against that person’s will [byanother / by an object or substance put in motion by another person].”

It seems that the reaction from theteam was, “Gee, since there was no battery, there was no real harm done.”

Good evening,

Remember waaay back in about 1968 therebout, at a Finn Gold Cup there was the "paddle" incident. A competitor got so uptight on the start line that he took out his paddle and whacked another competitor. He got himself into big trouble for that.

Can anyone here tell us the exact story?

Anyway, the message is clear. Don't mess with those Finn guys!

Regards,

Multisail.

At the end of the day, ben may have simply of gorn up to them to tell them they where too close then they got rude sparking the event and once ben was on board the rib what did the media and crew do to him? They could of started being violent too, we are only seeing a very one sided story.

At the end of the day, ben may have simply of gorn up to them to tell them they where too close then they got rude sparking the event and once ben was on board the rib what did the media and crew do to him? They could of started being violent too, we are only seeing a very one sided story.

Total bullshit. At the end of the day, a grown man jumped off of his boat to board a boat he was not invited to board. He lost control of his emotions.

Total bullshit. At the end of the day, a grown man jumped off of his boat to board a boat he was not invited to board. He lost control of his emotions.

Very true I accept your point BUT STILL WE DON"T NOW WHAT HAPPENED FIRST AND WHAT THE MEADIA CREW SAID AND DID TO BEN!

How in the hell can a single guy in a dinghy "board" a RIB? How did he get close enough? Or did they come by to rub his face in it? I would say a RIB potentially swamping your dinghy is also "assault". But seriously, if he was able to board their boat it's because they allowed it or invited it. End of story. There is way, way more here than described.

Any media boat at this level that is close enough that a sailor has a valid complaint is 100% in the wrong, 100% in the wrong. At this level, there is no excuse for a media boat being so incompetently operated that they could even have a hint of affecting the racing. If they are sanctioned by the event, then the event needs to be schooled. Accidents happen, but any captain with a modicum of experience has made the mistakes and learned the lessons at lesser events, not at a world championship. The sanctioning body was in the wrong to allow this RIB crew to operate with their approval if they were this incompetent.

Obviously Ainslie handled this in the wrong way, knows it, and has apologized, what he should have done is protested and requested redress. All this hand-wringing about banning him from the sport is bullshit. Have we seen the photo boat apologize? Do they understand that it was ultimately their actions which created this issue?

Very true I accept your point BUT STILL WE DON"T NOW WHAT HAPPENED FIRST AND WHAT THE MEADIA CREW SAID AND DID TO BEN!

It doesn't matter. He should act like a big boy and bring it to the RC's attention. I don't freak out when I have to alter course for a fishing boat. Should he scream at God if he gets a header when he needs a lift?

It doesn't matter. He should act like a big boy and bring it to the RC's attention. I don't freak out when I have to alter course for a fishing boat. Should he scream at God if he gets a header when he needs a lift?

Huge difference in amaturer sailing and olympic sailing, lets put you in his shoes. You have won 3 golds and a silver at the olympics, about to go on to win your 6th finn world title, and are probably the best dinghy sailor or sailor in the world and have a shot of overthrowing elvestroms olympic gold record. You are going to get a bit angry.

I do hope the rib driver and camera crew have been disqualified for life. BA is a very experinced sailor so must have been complete incompetence. And the person who organises the media boats should also be banned.

A shame. On all counts.

SW, ro! is right, not necessary to dig much to find that you have been consistently pissing on BA.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=116416&st=25

"Your highly skilled golden boy with 4 Olympic medals and a recent world match racing championship under his belt is severely disadvantaged in tackling the multi-hull learning curve given three years time to do so, when JS did it in 3 years against EB who has been sailing multi-hulls for how many years - 15 ?

Personally I think he would do pretty well if he set his mind to it instead of complaining like KM.

It appears he's choosing the easy way out and prefers Olympic medals as opposed to the AC, which is contrary to his own words.. "

Huge difference in amaturer sailing and olympic sailing, lets put you in his shoes. You have won 3 golds and a silver at the olympics, about to go on to win your 6th finn world title, and are probably the best dinghy sailor or sailor in the world and have a shot of overthrowing elvestroms olympic gold record. You are going to get a bit angry.

Or alternatively, he could have just accepted the whole situation with a bit of grace, knowing that his legacy in the sport is secure. This was a virtually meaningless race to him, the medal race was still to come.

And why the difference between amateur sailing and olympic sailing? Other than the fact that the Olympics is all about making money, what's the difference? Are you suggesting that it is acceptable for Olympic sailors to jump aboard a media boat because they don't like their positioning?

Ben's antics are just like the Hollywood starlets who seek fame at every corner, yet complain about the papparazzi that chase them, while making them famous.

So he's a whiney little bitch. Good. Now the sport has a villain on which to focus.

Everyone is sailing under the same RRS. You, I, Elvstrøm and Ainslie.

And all of us have been mad at some point in our career. But I can't recall any top level sailor loosing it the way Ben did. Sure, we all understand him, but he's way out of line. Actually I don't care if he trumps Elvstrøm in medals. Do a read-up on Elvstrøm and sportsmanship and you'll understand why. One of his quotes comes to mind: "You haven't won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors."

Or should this kind of behavior be allowed to promote the sport :lol:

Regarding the RIB driver, he might have been wrong, is probably an idiot and will loose his job (or have a hard job getting a gig). But that's not the point.

- the motor boat guy did a mistake

- we don't exactly know what happened

- champions have temper, mainly in the middle of a competition

- BA may have lost a championshit, but not necessarily his participation to the Olympics

Mc Enroe did more, and.......... it contributed more to his fame than some of his victories.

Good evening,

Remember waaay back in about 1968 therebout, at a Finn Gold Cup there was the "paddle" incident. A competitor got so uptight on the start line that he took out his paddle and whacked another competitor. He got himself into big trouble for that.

Can anyone here tell us the exact story?

Anyway, the message is clear. Don't mess with those Finn guys!

Regards,

Multisail.

Was a bit before my time, but I believe you are referring to Patrick Pym.

This whole thing has highlighted the problem of getting high quality media coverage of sailing. RIB's are the worst type of boat to use, yet we all use them. The max speeds most mono hull dinghies travel at are the very worst possible speed for a RIB to produce a small wake. Just remember back to the media boats used for the Primadonna's Cup in Auckland. Long skinny hulled cats, same for rowing events. I would bet anything Ben would not have complained if he was the one riding the wake. The end of the day his actions post race are totally unacceptable. He should have gone to the committee boat or a judges boat and vented. Boarding another vessel cannot ever be condoned. He has paid a high price for this. Basically screwed his regatta and possibly the Olympics as well given the strength of Pommie Finn sailors. It should send a very clear message to younger sailors on what Rule 69 means.

I have spent many years on the water with a camera and am very aware of the wake problem. Being on the race course is very stressful. You either idle around and try and anticipate where the action is going to happen or run at wake producing speeds at angles that don't give one sailor a free ride at the expense of the others.

https://picasaweb.go...18301148256327/

From the photos, it appears that BAcommitted “assault” but not “battery”. In Michigan, here are the definitions:

“Assault—Definition: An assault is anyintentional, unlawful threat or offer to do bodily injury to another by force,under circumstances which create a well-founded fear of imminent peril, coupledwith the apparent present ability to carry out the act if not prevented.”

“Battery—Definition: A battery is thewillful or intentional touching of a person against that person’s will [byanother / by an object or substance put in motion by another person].”

It seems that the reaction from theteam was, “Gee, since there was no battery, there was no real harm done.”

Disagree. By that Michigan definition he is guilty of both assault and battery, by the photographs. You can clearly see him making contact with the driver against the driver's will; the driver leaves his own hands on the gear and the wheel but tries to lean out of it. The photog seems to try shake BA's hand but instead gets shoved aside by BA as he moves to the bow before diving. Neither contact was invited.

Hopefully the finding of guilty of gross misconduct will result in 'only' the penalty already given since it's extremely unlikely he will ever do that again; otoh it's a little disappointing he thinks and says that charges of 'assault' are 'overblown' because by most definitions it was surely at least that much.

The Telegraph carried 'Ben Ainslie Assaults' as part of the headline to an earlier article; the original is still Google-cached but the paper has subsequently changed it to 'Ben Ainslie Confronts.'

However much he apologizes, and whatever the driver might say, the photo sequence does definitely show he made uninvited physical contact.

What a juicy story

so this incident, having been classified as Gross Misconduct by the Race Committee/International Jury in Perth, who ruled against BA to the extent of their jurisdiction, now gets bounced upstairs to the ISAF, who will presumably mete down- or not- any additional prohibitions or penalties...

When? What is the procedure? Is there a hearing, or what? Is there a committee that meets regularly to discuss such incidents? Does it take weeks? Months? Will BA be interviewed? How's it all work?

Boarding another vessel cannot ever be condoned.

maybe ben was miffed that he totally forgot 'talk like a pirate' day a few months ago?

We know exactly what happened.

1. Ben left his vessel and boarded another vessel

2. Ben abused and threatened the crew of that vessel.

3. There are no mitigating circumstances. A quick look at the background of the images shows a Fremantle Doctor blowing in at a good Fifteen knots plus, the wake from a RIB in such circumstances is not material to the perfromance of a Finn downwind. It might be if it was blowing Ten knots, in which case a protest flag should be hoisted and the other competitor and race committee protested.

Throw the bastard out of the sport for good.

what other competitor ?

you apply for redress not 'protest race committee'

you have no idea

From the photos, it appears that BAcommitted "assault" but not "battery". In Michigan, here are the definitions:

"Assault—Definition: An assault is anyintentional, unlawful threat or offer to do bodily injury to another by force,under circumstances which create a well-founded fear of imminent peril, coupledwith the apparent present ability to carry out the act if not prevented."

"Battery—Definition: A battery is thewillful or intentional touching of a person against that person's will [byanother / by an object or substance put in motion by another person]."

It seems that the reaction from theteam was, "Gee, since there was no battery, there was no real harm done."

Disagree. By that Michigan definition he is guilty of both assault and battery, by the photographs. You can clearly see him making contact with the driver against the driver's will; the driver leaves his own hands on the gear and the wheel but tries to lean out of it. The photog seems to try shake BA's hand but instead gets shoved aside by BA as he moves to the bow before diving. Neither contact was invited.

Hopefully the finding of guilty of gross misconduct will result in 'only' the penalty already given since it's extremely unlikely he will ever do that again; otoh it's a little disappointing he thinks and says that charges of 'assault' are 'overblown' because by most definitions it was surely at least that much.

The Telegraph carried 'Ben Ainslie Assaults' as part of the headline to an earlier article; the original is still Google-cached but the paper has subsequently changed it to 'Ben Ainslie Confronts.'

However much he apologizes, and whatever the driver might say, the photo sequence does definitely show he made uninvited physical contact.

+1 Stingray

But the way I saw the pictures, BA had a healthy handful of the photographer's equipment bag being worn on the photog's chest just before diving back into the water.

This is a compelling story on so many levels - the media v. competitor, the competitor psyche, the management of a top tier race.

There are a few people here who are absolving one or both parties because they apologized. While that is the polite response to the altercation, you cannot unring a bell. No matter the behavior of the rib (which I will get to), Ben Ainslie got off of his boat and slid onto the rib, presumably following numerous angry comments. Was the cameraman thinking he was coming over to shake hands? I doubt it. And, like Rodney King, the whole thing was caught on film, inciting more than just the locals who witnessed it from shore and the race course, but the global competitive sailing community.

Very nice for both parties to say they are sorry, but their in the moment actions are what need to be addressed and curtailed. It is absolutely not acceptable for a sailor to jump off his boat and threaten anyone, particularly at the highest level, and one of the most watched sailing events around the world at the moment. It is also not acceptable for the driver of the boat authorized by the event authority (sunset + vine according to the SIs) to interfere in any way with the competitors. BA and everyone else racing are restricted by Rule 69. What is the driver / camera man restricted by?

So for those who say it's ok to say I'm sorry after such an offense and thus it just goes away, I say poppycock. A simple analogy: if I yell at you and you pull a gun on me, but we later both apologize, does that make it ok?

This is why I earlier said it's a shame on all counts. Mostly it's a shame that Ben couldn't properly address the issues earlier in the racing, or on shore and privately. What comes his way now, is thanks only to his very public and aggressive reaction to the press boat. I hope, and expect, that he will overcome this one way or another, but he made the bed.

"Far to many RIBs on the course these days" (12345)

+1

We made an abusive parent a "coach", for his child's football team. So, he could be thrown out by the referee. Had to leave the field.

What is the punishment for gross misconduct of a rib?

Just askin'.

All eyes are on ISAF now. If they get their response to this wrong, they could do real damage to the institution and its credibility. I am sure the RYA is going to apply all the pressure they can to keep BA on their Olympic squad. ISAF are going to have to take a strong stand on this - the pictures are way too damaging. I bet ISAF are real happy that BA has just made all of the messages and news coming out of Perth about poor sportsmanship and not the sailing going on. This world's is over as far as the news cycle is concerned.

An example of that quite unusual headline change can for now still be seen at this RSS feed

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=archrss&p=8

TELEGRAPH

10/12/11 02:06 - Ben Ainslie confronts cameraman after boarding TV boat at World Sailing Championships in Perth

British Olympian is facing a charge of gross misconduct after cameraman altercation at World Championships.

TELEGRAPH

10/12/11 02:06 - Ben Ainslie assaults cameraman after boarding TV boat at World Sailing Championships in Perth

Olympian Ben Ainslie faces charge of gross misconduct after assaulting TV cameraman at World Championships.

similar: http://www.onenewspage.co.uk/n/Sports/74myxvqnx/Ben-Ainslie-assaults-cameraman-after-boarding-TV-boat.htm

(perhaps they got a phone call explaining it, or else realized it themselves, that a charge of 'assault' might be a serious problem if taken to court for defamation)

+1 Stingray

But the way I saw the pictures, BA had a healthy handful of the photographer's equipment bag being worn on the photog's chest just before diving back into the water.

Tend to agree, but give BA the benefit of the doubt on the contact with the photographer. Even if it was still uninvited contact it's natural that BA wanted to get past the guy so as to dive off before his boat got too far away; and his real anger had been more with the driver/skipper anyway.

I think I saw in one article that BA was appealing the jury decision, which explains this from the Washington Post article just posted (by the way SR, they used the word "grappling" to presumably get away from any legal terminology):

"Ainslie said he will sail in Sunday’s medal race despite having no chance of winning the overall title."

Very sad behavior. Reminds me of Zinedine Zidane's headbutt in the World Cup final 2006. What a shame, and so unnecessary.

"Far to many RIBs on the course these days" (12345)

+1

We made an abusive parent a "coach", for his child's football team. So, he could be thrown out by the referee. Had to leave the field.

What is the punishment for gross misconduct of a rib?

Just askin'.

Protest sheet for the 470s shows that the RC protested several coach boats. The penalty was being banned from the race area for a number of races. I suspect that can be applied in the Finns as well.

What a sad, sad day for sailing.

Sailing kids have lost an extraordinary role model.

BA shouldnt have jumped on the press boat.

The press boat shouldnt have been in the way.

BA did NOT get star treatment at all. He was taken to the 'room' and effectively disqualified from the regatta.

No doubt there will be further ramifications for BA.

Losers all round I'm afraid.

But spare me the 'holier than thou' approach by apologists for ISAF.

I have seen many worse assaults than this over the years, mostly at Youth events, and I would have to say that unless there is absolute proof (pics or it didnt happen) the ISAF representatives - the Jury- have always squirmed and wriggled to avoid taking action. Indeed if BA was at one of these Youth regattas in his past, he may well have taken the lack of outcomes to mean that it is ok to jump into/onto another boat and assault others. I can think of about 400 young International sailors who have been witness to such activities and events.

My major fear is that BA will get 'star' treatment and that he will be made an example of.

I also fear that the organisers will not be held to account.

What a bloody shame and fiasco.

What a sad, sad day for sailing.

Sailing kids have lost an extraordinary role model.

BA shouldnt have jumped on the press boat.

The press boat shouldnt have been in the way.

BA did NOT get star treatment at all. He was taken to the 'room' and effectively disqualified from the regatta.

No doubt there will be further ramifications for BA.

Losers all round I'm afraid.

But spare me the 'holier than thou' approach by apologists for ISAF.

I have seen many worse assaults than this over the years, mostly at Youth events, and I would have to say that unless there is absolute proof (pics or it didnt happen) the ISAF representatives - the Jury- have always squirmed and wriggled to avoid taking action. Indeed if BA was at one of these Youth regattas in his past, he may well have taken the lack of outcomes to mean that it is ok to jump into/onto another boat and assault others. I can think of about 400 young International sailors who have been witness to such activities and events.

My major fear is that BA will get 'star' treatment and that he will be made an example of.

I also fear that the organisers will not be held to account.

What a bloody shame and fiasco.

Okay Ainslie's in trouble BUT what about the driver of the rib? What qualifications does he have? Is he a local fisherman or what? Does he have an ISAF ticket to show he's qualified to take a film crew out on race day? If not, why not?

A shame. On all counts.

SW, ro! is right, not necessary to dig much to find that you have been consistently pissing on BA.

http://forums.sailin...ic=116416&st=25

"Your highly skilled golden boy with 4 Olympic medals and a recent world match racing championship under his belt is severely disadvantaged in tackling the multi-hull learning curve given three years time to do so, when JS did it in 3 years against EB who has been sailing multi-hulls for how many years - 15 ?

Personally I think he would do pretty well if he set his mind to it instead of complaining like KM.

It appears he's choosing the easy way out and prefers Olympic medals as opposed to the AC, which is contrary to his own words.. "

Apparently you are still unable to read and comprehend the english language.

This is a criticism of the poster's comments where I suggest he has the abilities to come down the multihull curve in three years.

BTW, here is the quote from the link you provided, which you also got wrong. A slam on SKM, yes, on BA ? Hardly;

Quit making excuses - if he wanted to compete and KM was not such a chicken shit he could easily put himself in the running - doesn't he have three or four gold medals ???