sarah0809

Artemis?

A mercenary win at all costs attitude: OR or ETNZ?

Both Challs seem happy to have Big Blue in the show.... your comment is thread drift

pays the bills to have races next week, that's professional,

and big blue races,

that's personal,

win win

A mercenary win at all costs attitude: OR or ETNZ?

Both or they wouldn't be the defender and the most competitive challenger, you simply don't win the America's Cup with any other attitude, if anyone knows this is true it's New Zealand, been on the other end too many times to not learn that lesson very very well!

Win at all costs? Neither. Ernie was win at all costs, these guys don't come close.

Mercenary? This is a more personal thing where Russ is clearly mercenary, Jimmy maybe but more difficult to make any assessment of the rest.

These guys are all professionals... They go where they can get more money.

Rc and other NZers in Alinghi (= EmiGrates Team NewZealand) against their own Country Team (Emirates Team NewZealand) is the best example...

But, honestly I can understand them. The problem IMHO is the Nationality Rule.

At present, AC is not a national team competition, but hopefully things will change soon in the future.

Some have skills to sell. Some have skills they need to buy. It's how the market works, people.

Some have skills to sell. Some have skills they need to buy. It's how the market works, people.

I agree.

I think however what the 5 did when they went to Alinghi was a totally different kettle of fish.

One or two buggering off to this team and that is different from the core of the team all going to another team.

However, I doubt they left without provocation.

Very true. Not condemning that at all.

But I think a strict nationality rule would be more in the spirit of the DoG, and perhaps more interesting for people to follow.

But this only my personal point of view.

This Cup is donated upon the conditions that it shall be preserved as a perpetual

Challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries.

Very true. Not condemning that at all.

But I think a strict nationality rule would be more in the spirit of the DoG, and perhaps more interesting for people to follow.

But this only my personal point of view.

This Cup is donated upon the conditions that it shall be preserved as a perpetual

Challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries.

seems that worked out for the chall's in the end, no hard feelings by anyone at this point...priceless

Big Blue has stepped their wing this morning.

No sign of sailing crew but they could be in a team meeting.

This is all very exciting.

There is a huge buzz of excitement for Tuesdays race with Luna Rossa.

Artemis will beat LR.

+1

And if JK's rep wasn't already in the toilet, it is now...

Those boys are having some serious fun! Quite a turnaround. Thankfully they didn't follow The Kiwi naysayers advice. At the very least we have the prospect of some interesting racing in the LV semis.

Freekin' Cool!

These guys are finally having fun, I love how immersed we get to be through them sharing. Onboard flybe film? Could be a first for us too.

Freekin' Cool!

These guys are finally having fun, I love how immersed we get to be through them sharing. Onboard flybe film? Could be a first for us too.

I think that the raw unedited audio makes it.

Oh and the Asterix cam.

Looks like AR can foil gybe!

One of the best videos I've seen this Cup, that was awesome for a whole lot of reasons. Thanks.

Wouldn't it be so much fun if they came out of the box real quick for race 1? :) Well, even if they don't they're making great progress, having fun and really honoring Bart.

How cool. B)

Edit: props to AR for releasing a video with this type of edit, awesome.

God that is soooooo fucking great!!!!

I can't believe how thrilling that was to watch, and see the guys get pumped. Check out NO running across the net pumping his fists after that fybe!!!!

That is good for the heart and soul.

Those boys are having some serious fun! Quite a turnaround. Thankfully they didn't follow The Kiwi naysayers advice. At the very least we have the prospect of some interesting racing in the LV semis.

+100000

One of the best videos I've seen this Cup, that was awesome for a whole lot of reasons. Thanks.

Wouldn't it be so much fun if they came out of the box real quick for race 1? :) Well, even if they don't they're making great progress, having fun and really honoring Bart.

How cool. B)

Edit: props to AR for releasing a video with this type of edit, awesome.

Yep. LOVE how they let out a shot showing the emotions in the boys, rather than just another vid showing boats sailing fast and people talking. Seriously, I was beaming watching them, and obviously I have no claim to be prideful.

Geez. You guys are all getting a bit excited there.

It all looked fairly ordinary AC72 stuff to me.

I'll concede AR is making good progress though, which is encouraging. About time.

I heard NO learned how to fully fybe watching an ETNZ video on Youtube :D

Great effort... the semifinal could be interesting

I'll concede AR is making good progress though, which is encouraging. About time.

On just their 7th day of foiling, pulling off a flybe? I'd say its way ~ahead~ of time, from that perspective.

Christ, can't you see that we are not expecting them to win, we are thrilled for the human spirit on that team? Guys that could not hardly have been more low having lost their mate on top of all the other team setbacks are now acting like 10-year olds with excitement. What they are doing may be bigger "wins" with regard to emotions and pride than winning the AC will be for OR or ETNZ.

By the way, when are you shit-slinging Kiwis going to start ripping ETNZ for training with AR today?

Damn, I keep trying not to lump you guys together, as I have NEVER met a Kiwi in person that I did not think was a great guy, and my time in NZ was wonderful, blown away by the quality of the people. But the vocal shit-slingers among you here on this board make it feel different, even though, objectively, I know it is just the smallest of minorities that would show these character traits.

Christ, can't you see that we are not expecting them to win, we are thrilled for the human spirit on that team? Guys that could not hardly have been more low having lost their mate on top of all the other team setbacks are now acting like 10-year olds with excitement. What they are doing may be bigger "wins" with regard to emotions and pride than winning the AC will be for OR or ETNZ.

Just adding a bit more perspective. Can't have you guys believing your own propaganda. :)

By the way, when are you shit-slinging Kiwis going to start ripping ETNZ for training with AR today?

Damn, I keep trying not to lump you guys together, as I have NEVER met a Kiwi in person that I did not think was a great guy, and my time in NZ was wonderful, blown away by the quality of the people. But the vocal shit-slingers among you here on this board make it feel different, even though, objectively, I know it is just the smallest of minorities that would show these character traits.

Save it for the Kiwi bashing thread.

I NEVER go to that thread since the first day or so. I like Kiwis too much.

I NEVER go to that thread since the first day or so. I like Kiwis too much.

It really shows! 8-)

Totally agree Goucho, and couldn't have said it better myself.

From the video, it's intesting to see AR flybe at 32.6 knots, then see the knot meter display digitally disappear. Sure hope the first race is a close one.

One foiling gybe and AR are ready to take out LR? Let's see them pull off one or two of them under racing conditions before you all start gushing in your shorts!! :lol:

"Fairly ordinary AC72" = fairly ordinary oxymoron

Bit of selective editing going on there, floater. The inclusion of 'stuff' provides the context. No contradiction there. :)

Totally agree Goucho, and couldn't have said it better myself.

From the video, it's intesting to see AR flybe at 32.6 knots, then see the knot meter display digitally disappear. Sure hope the first race is a close one.

thats awesome, it should be noted that those conditions are in excess of 20knots wind speed.

One foiling gybe and AR are ready to take out LR? Let's see them pull off one or two of them under racing conditions before you all start gushing in your shorts!! :lol:

Oh, I think AR are the favorites to take it all now. B)

No, the hope is that if they can rough-out the basics needed to be competitive then maybe they can give us a decent show with LR.

And you never know............

Agreed. It's the first one ever for AR compared to a lot by LR, including 3 in just their most recent race.

It's excellent that AR are trying so hard but they're going to get killed in R1 and may not get close enough even by late in the week.

But it IS a great accomplishment. NO was rightfully jacked. It's a superb effort these guys are putting in.

No, the hope is that if they can rough-out the basics needed to be competitive then maybe they can give us a decent show with LR.

We'd all like to see a close boat race that's for sure.

We'd all like to see a close boat race that's for sure.

Race 1 LR by 5:35 min.

Awesome to see Artemis going well. Hoping they can make it a competitive semi.

After the tragedy and corresponding fall out the Cup needed a "feel good story", and they have certainly provided it.

Great effort, it would be a double tragedy if guys like IP and TO never got to race.

excellent news and video

when the design is right on these things

life is so much easier on the sailors

LR had better watch out

and now OR have a practise partner that can help them through an important training hole

Awesome stuff by the team. Their attitude is fantastic and sharing that video with us all is awesome. What a story this team has to tell.

They must have something going on , GD doesn't want to race them :)

Obviously with the exception of the practice racing ETNZ was doing with AR today.

Exactly , anytime as long as it doesn't count :)

AR - what are they even hoping to achieve??

The moral victory of being able to race in a competition they had entered despite having suffered a tragic setback and terrible personal loss. Honoring the memory of their friend.

Or, alternatively, to use the analogy from another sport, why does a Tour de France cyclist get back on his bike after a crash even though he has no hope in the stage or the GC?

Why does he torture his body despite injuries, dragging it over mountains?

Because it's the fucking Tour de France!!! It's the premier race in the sport, the thing to which many aspire, but very few are ever able to even participate in it.

Just finishing it is reason enough to turn your body inside out to try and get through it. Or for your mates on your team, if you can do even one iota of work to try and help them.

Very poor analogy. In the Tour you have to achieve at level that gets you selected by a team, and then you have to finish inside the time limit every day, so completion is a big achievement.

Achieving selection by spending a few hundred million, then turning up late for a few races in August is hardly equivalent.

If AR were in the Tour they would be out long ago.

The comment about self imposed wind limits is interesting. I have been wondering how they would meet the IM/CG safety requirements for rudder elevators, and it looks like they comply by not going out above certain wind speeds. Presumably this means that windy semifinal races will be a no show.

Just to elaborate:

• Rudder elevators have to meet class rules and safety rules.
  • AR have class rule compliant rudders, but they are less than the 0.32m2 required in the safety regs (which they have to voluntarily comply with - otherwise the racing is called off)
  • The safety regs have an exception where the competitor can't meet the 0.32m3 and presumably other requirements, they have to show through calculations or operational parameters how they will meet the equivalent.
  • My reasoning was that because the calculation route is an obvious non-starter for AR, they will have to impose some operational restriction that means they are safe - hence the wind limits.

YYYeee....HHHHaaawwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-1447-0-21362200-1375664145_thumb.jpg

Wow chewing on my hat while I type. Very impressive...

So what are the predictions for Tuesday's race?

There will be the largest and noisiest spectator crowd so far.

Awesome stuff by the team. Their attitude is fantastic and sharing that video with us all is awesome. What a story this team has to tell.

Yeah well three other teams have been doing this ^ for months, it ain't anything new anymore.

AR - what are they even hoping to achieve??

The moral victory of being able to race in a competition they had entered despite having suffered a tragic setback and terrible personal loss. Honoring the memory of their friend.

Or, alternatively, to use the analogy from another sport, why does a Tour de France cyclist get back on his bike after a crash even though he has no hope in the stage or the GC?

Why does he torture his body despite injuries, dragging it over mountains?

Because it's the fucking Tour de France!!! It's the premier race in the sport, the thing to which many aspire, but very few are ever able to even participate in it.

Just finishing it is reason enough to turn your body inside out to try and get through it. Or for your mates on your team, if you can do even one iota of work to try and help them.

Very poor analogy. In the Tour you have to achieve at level that gets you selected by a team, and then you have to finish inside the time limit every day, so completion is a big achievement.

Achieving selection by spending a few hundred million, then turning up late for a few races in August is hardly equivalent.

If AR were in the Tour they would be out long ago.

You clearly have no fracking clue what it means to be a competitor.

Is there a Kiwi recipe for humble pie?

(Once again a disclaimer that I am not knocking Kiwis, just 'big mouths' who also just happen to be EnZedders)

That was an awesome video! Loick looked so happy too!

Anyone who continues to kick AR now has absolutely no passion for the sport.

LR, for all their time in the boat, looked very, very ordinary to me and my prediction is that barring breakdowns, AR will give LR the fright of their lives.

PS Anyone able to lend Jaysper a really HUGE pie dish?

Great to see while I eat humble pie. If only AR was doing this even 2 months ago?

Well played that man!

Wing on at 9 am

Wing off at 4 pm

Thanks MM.

So they really put in the hours when they do get on the water.

Their brains must be frying by the time they get back to the dock. So much to learn and take in.

Do you get the feeling that we may be seeing something special finally?

(Once again a disclaimer that I am not knocking Kiwis, just 'big mouths' who also just happen to be EnZedders)

LR, for all their time in the boat, looked very, very ordinary to me and my prediction is that barring breakdowns, AR will give LR the fright of their lives.

I'd save that pie dish if I was you.

I think LR will make AR look just as ordinary as TNZ did to LR.

Yes AR can gybe on the foils, but they also have A LOT of bail outs and look very, very slow when doing so.

I'd be surprised if AR get to within 3 mins of LR at the finish. Some on this forum will consider that a win.

Yes AR can gybe on the foils, but they also have A LOT of bail outs and look very, very slow when doing so.

I'd be surprised if AR get to within 3 mins of LR at the finish. Some on this forum will consider that a win.

I personally have no need for a pie dish of any size. I have made no outrageous claims or accused anyone of cheating.

I am not the one who has posted literally 1000's of whiny schoolgirl posts about how unsafe AR is and how they will cause calamity and destruction if they are allowed to contaminate the waters of AC34.

The anti AR whining has been prolific, boring, boorish and at times quite nasty. Not anarchistic at all, just nasty.

My prediction stands and we are still seeking a huge pie dish. or a big hat!

I personally have no need for a pie dish of any size. I have made no outrageous claims or accused anyone of cheating.

I am not the one who has posted literally 1000's of whiny schoolgirl posts about how unsafe AR is and how they will cause calamity and destruction if they are allowed to contaminate the waters of AC34.

The anti AR whining has been prolific, boring, boorish and at times quite nasty. Not anarchistic at all, just nasty.

My prediction stands and we are still seeking a huge pie dish. or a big hat!

"The fright of their lives". Just to clarify my understanding, what exactly is your prediction again?

Really? You reckin? Is it conseivable AR could lern THAT fast?

Yes - it was very emotional for me to watch that after what has happened.

LR will smoke AR in SF R1. For AR, the actual goal is to be competitive in R4. But LR will have some "reserve bouyancy" for that case.

My 2 Rappen...

I think Artemis have done a lot better than I expected of them after the accident but to say that they are any kind of threat to LR is stretching it a bit ..

The John Navos video of them practicing with ETNZ showed that they are nowhere near LR's performance .. if that had been a proper race we were looking at a 20 minute deficit ..

I hope Artemis will continue to improve for the sake of the AC .

Better hold that order of Kiwi pie, the Italian fat lady hasn't finished singing to the Swedish chef just yet.

AR are doing a great job, but they're still a long way off giving anybody a fright while racing, unless you're referring to some of their manoeuvres?...

Watching NO and LP's reaction to pulling off a foiling gybe has been a great way to start a Monday morning for me.

Whatever you can say about management or design issues or their chances of taking some race wins over the next couple of weeks, it is great to see the sailors enjoying the experience after what they have all been through.

Maybe someone can help me here.

Are AR going to be able to come in less than 5 mins behind LR?

Or, are AR going to get a finish instead of 4 DNF's?

Better hold that order of Kiwi pie, the Italian fat lady hasn't finished singing to the Swedish chef just yet.

AR are doing a great job, but they're still a long way off giving anybody a fright while racing, unless you're referring to some of their manoeuvres?...

Agreed... As good as they are doing, there will be probably a whole leg difference if todays video is anything to go by...

how could anyone congratulate Artemis achievement is f..ng crazy!

this has NOTHING to do with the accident nor the death of their mate

they were long ago in BIG trouble

the management of their campaign will be reviewed as the "how NOT to"

for them to be attempting to race with just 6 days of sailing in their designed boat could be viewed as inrresponsible

and they look mighty dangerous too...what if they capsize again?

and someone else perishes?

would you all still say how galant of them for not giving up?

really?

in my opinion it is down right offensive for them to not only spend that man's millions (second most spent by any team) and not even be ready to race....but to carry on piling on the expenses when they KNOW it is a futile attempt....donate it to stop world hunger.

if this would have been any other LVCup they would have been eliminated by now....the rest who thing other wise are a bunch of hypocrites and dreamers....why don't you pay their bills and see how that feels.

Fantastic news about how well the Artemis guys are progressing.

In the end though, the big questions is about design. For Artemis to be competitive against LR, logic would dictate that they would have to be in a fundamentally faster boat than LR as it sits now(and that's a TALL order). As incredible as AR's success has been to date tuning up Big Blue, they will likely be at a significant boat handling disadvantage to LR come tomorrow. So they will likely not be able to get as much of the designs speed potential as the LR guys can with the 9 solid months training compared to ARs 7 DAYS!

The fact that AR have been able to get to the point they are now in just 7 days of sailing suggests that their overall design concept is very sound. Good balance and easy of boat handling(relative to an AC72 anyway) do not necessarily equal speed however. Based on the gear they are using and the timeline they have to be competitive, I'm assuming that they skipped any attempt at slower but more stable "training foils" and went right for the low drag and harder to control race foils. This makes the success they are having all the more impressive! Assuming no setbacks, they will be getting faster and more confident in their boat, pushing it harder and harder every sailing day.

I wish them well tomorrow, they are the indisputable underdog.

If they can stay within a reasonable range(say...under 3-4 min) of LR by the finish with only 7 days of training, LR and NZ may start considering them a real threat.

If they do better... who knows!

Go Artemis!

Having seen ETNZ AR video I don't expect too much from AR in terms of wins. They don't have the experience with handling the boat to change gears quickly. I doubt if they have the anything like optimal settings yet. NO will be relying too much on thinking, not on feel. I would would be deeply impressed by them if I were proven wrong, and it will be interesting to see how much they learn in the semis.

I don't think it's a tall order at all to expect AR to be faster at times...they're in a much more recent vintage boat.

Whether they can get the most out of the boat is a different question.

I have to say, for all that their CoR status has not been taken well, it is a huge thrill to see IP, Nathan, Loick and the boys taking so much pleasure out of it. And a fybe after 10 days on the water. . . that's quicker than anyone else managed.

However, as said above, while I salute their endeavour I don't expect them to win anything and that video vs ETNZ rather proved that!

how could anyone congratulate Artemis achievement is f..ng crazy!

this has NOTHING to do with the accident nor the death of their mate

they were long ago in BIG trouble

the management of their campaign will be reviewed as the "how NOT to"

for them to be attempting to race with just 6 days of sailing in their designed boat could be viewed as inrresponsible

and they look mighty dangerous too...what if they capsize again?

and someone else perishes?

would you all still say how galant of them for not giving up?

really?

in my opinion it is down right offensive for them to not only spend that man's millions (second most spent by any team) and not even be ready to race....but to carry on piling on the expenses when they KNOW it is a futile attempt....donate it to stop world hunger.

if this would have been any other LVCup they would have been eliminated by now....the rest who thing other wise are a bunch of hypocrites and dreamers....why don't you pay their bills and see how that feels.

Well, shit, why does anyone have a recreational sailboat then? If everyone that had one donated it to charity and send all the money they spend on sailing to charitable causes, wouldn't that do the world much more?

This fricking attitude against AR, and even the teams for mutually consenting to work with AR to ensure they can race, is absurd. No one is handing the cup over to them or giving them a competitive advantage. All four teams have spent un-Godly amounts of money on their campaigns, and all benefit from having eachother competing. Any one of them would want to continue if they had a similar situation happen within their teams, even if it was sure (or nearly so) that they had no chance of winning.

It is in the act of striving to be your best that you become the best you can be. Just because you have setbacks does not mean you stop striving. Well, that is unless you are truly a loser.

In the case of AR, that goes for the owner, the CEO (yep, even PC), the skipper, the crew, the shore crew, the designers, and the families involved. They all are, and should, continuing to strive, and in so doing, are honoring Bart, and will take a lot out of this campaign for the rest of their lives. I applaud TT for continuing to bankroll the team, and the team for striving on. Frankly, I don't care, at this point, if they beat LR or DNF, I will be so glad I saw this effort go through.

Cue up "Wind".

how could anyone congratulate Artemis achievement is f..ng crazy!this has NOTHING to do with the accident nor the death of their matethey were long ago in BIG troublethe management of their campaign will be reviewed as the "how NOT to"for them to be attempting to race with just 6 days of sailing in their designed boat could be viewed as inrresponsibleand they look mighty dangerous too...what if they capsize again?and someone else perishes?would you all still say how galant of them for not giving up?really?in my opinion it is down right offensive for them to not only spend that man's millions (second most spent by any team) and not even be ready to race....but to carry on piling on the expenses when they KNOW it is a futile attempt....donate it to stop world hunger.if this would have been any other LVCup they would have been eliminated by now....the rest who thing other wise are a bunch of hypocrites and dreamers....why don't you pay their bills and see how that feels.

You wouldn't happen to be from New Zealand, would you?

I'd love to see AR pull off the impossible but will be thrilled for them if they can even just win one race to the first mark. Can you imagine how jacked they'd be, in that moment?

I did that wunce in a motocross race in a feeld of 60, and was so 'jacked' I exitted off the krest of first berm, stage rite.

I hope they dont forget how to jybe if it happenz.... not that far to shore at 40 kn ....

^ Not bad. Yes, LR will be way ahead of them on that count (experience being in the heat of the race moment) even if they've never actually led.

NO seems pretty cool-headed though, probably more so than what Draper sounds like across a comm.

Entry list for RTI race in UK, Thursday. I guess it tells all we need to know, re JuanK.

BOAT/SKIPPER/CREW/CHARITY

Artemis Ocean Racing II/Brian Thompson(GBR)/Mitch Tonks/Toe in the Water

Hugo Boss/Alex Thomson(GBR)/Douglas Booth/Kibera in Need

PRB/Vincent Riou(FRA)/Jean Le Cam/TBC

Cheminées Poujoulat/Bernard Stamm (SUI)/Juan Kouyoumdjian/Planete Enfants

Safran/Marc Guillemot(FRA)/Pascal Bidegorry/TBC

MACIF/Francois Gabart(FRA)/Michel Desjoyeaux/SNSM

Mike Golding Yacht Race/Mike Golding(GBR)/N/A/RNLI/Save the Children