• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
sarah0809

Artemis?

This may have been mentioned, but is Louic Peyron still a part of the team?

Very much active as a coach and member of the design team. Loick has been at all the ACWS events. He enjoys being a member of Artemis.

Artemis Racing
An exclusive behind the scenes insight into what it takes to mount a challenge and compete in the 35th America's Cup. Follow Artemis Racing over six episodes in 2015 as the team prepares to win the oldest and most prestigious trophy in international sport.

In this episode we hear from Pete Cunningham and Chris Brittle on training for the America's Cup, we take a closer look at former Sprint Canoe star Anders Gustafsson, Nathan Outteridge takes on Pelle Petterson in a speed challenge; and we look back at the Louis Vuitton America's Cup World Series in Gothenburg

Interesting that it talks of both electrical generation and the hydraulic accumulators - that are allowed this time, but weren't before.

We see that ACDUH have taken their own constant description of AC34 of crew as 'athletes' and gone completely overboard with it!?

Looks like the Artemis team (15pts) is getting used to the GC32, currently in 2nd place 4 pts behind Alinghi (11pts) after 6 races and winning race 6. Will post a link when I get to a computer.

^^ AR is hardly alone in spending a lot of effort to get physically more powerful for this cycle. Think back to 'Sonny Bill' for an ETNZ example.

Another nice video, those are very good productions.

^ If you are referring to my comment, I mentioned ACDUH - so applies to all teams, just happems to be an aspect highlighted in Artemis's video. It's ACXX's rules that have moved most of the (few remaining) crew from being sailors first to hamsters

Fitness has been a highlight of just about every team's program for some time already; but yes, power generation is obviously all the more critical an element aboard the AC50.

What was the figure stated above for Brittle, 1500W continuously for a full minute?

The entire GC32 fleet was impressed with Artemis Racings quick study of the boat. Great starts and foiling upwind on the GC32! A solid second on the first day.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/09/30/alinghi-takes-early-least-at-gc32-racing-tour-finale/

^ Fun that they're running Speed Trial races too

--

While Alinghi was the clear winner of the racing, in the speed challenge they were just eclipsed by the other Swiss team, ARMIN STROM. Marazzi and his crew covered the 600-metre course in a time of 58 seconds at an average speed of 26.81 knots and beat Alinghi by just 1 second.

At https://www.americascup.com/en/news/2052_Nathan-Outteridge-on-the-AC45F.html

--

The current gold medalist in the 49er class - a light, fast, skiff - Outteridge is juggling an Olympic campaign for Rio 2016 along with his duties with Artemis Racing.

In the video below, he takes us on a tour of the AC45F, the foiling version of the AC45 that is being used in the 2015/2016 Louis Vuitton America's Cup World Series.

Artemis Racing secures the GC32 Championship for Sultanate of Oman with a 3rd place finish in the Marseille One Design, 5pts (47) behind 1st place Alinghi (42) and 2 pts behind 2nd place Spindrift (45).

http://www.gc32racing.com/big-breeze-secures-victories-for-alinghi-oman/

Congratulations to Artemis for winning the Bermuda weekend! And for a great comeback after the crash....

I like this team. It's nice to see them start to get some momentum between Bermuda and the GC 32's...

They need to rename the team to either Artemissile, or Artehit. Umpire craft should be changed from pink to a bullseye/target pattern...

They need to rename the team to either Artemissile, or Artehit. Umpire craft should be changed from pink to a bullseye/target pattern...

I think the idiot driving the umpire boat needs to pay for Artemis' damages as he was completely at fault.

I hope they never allow him to drive a rib again (at least during a sailboat race).

I think the idiot driving the umpire boat needs to pay for Artemis' damages as he was completely at fault.

I hope they never allow him to drive a rib again (at least during a sailboat race).

Your implication that Nathan was at fault is completely off base.

I believe you're correct Mr C. Locker.

Published on Aug 27, 2015

An exclusive behind the scenes insight into what it takes to mount a challenge and compete in the 35th America's Cup. Follow Artemis Racing over six episodes in 2015 as the team prepares to win the oldest and most prestigious trophy in international sport.

Sorry what a superficial bullshit video. Watch the boat action without sound--you basically don't learn anything from it.

Sorry what a superficial bullshit video. Watch the boat action without sound--you basically don't learn anything from it.

It's background information for the Swedish public, many know little about Artemis Racing, actually pretty good for what it is meant to be.

The progression of Artemis since Gothenberg has been impressive. Does somebody know if they trained with the AC45 after last event in Sweden ? or how did they do to improve so quickly ? how does TF didn't do the same ?

The progression of Artemis since Gothenberg has been impressive. Does somebody know if they trained with the AC45 after last event in Sweden ? or how did they do to improve so quickly ? how does TF didn't do the same ?

They did not train on the AC45's because that was not allowed. Simply, they always were this good but at the first 2 regattas, they had a whole series of issues they kept quiet about because they are a "no excuse" team. If you go back and watch the racing, they were always good at the starts and their handling was great. This weekend they finally had everything come together and even managed to ride their bad luck.

They did not train on the AC45's because that was not allowed. Simply, they always were this good but at the first 2 regattas, they had a whole series of issues they kept quiet about because they are a "no excuse" team. If you go back and watch the racing, they were always good at the starts and their handling was great. This weekend they finally had everything come together and even managed to ride their bad luck.

+++

It is amazing to me how quickly so many people wrote off Artemis after Gothenburg. The team is one of the (if not the) most talented foiling team in this regatta. And as I stated earlier, if you watch the starts, Nathan has consistently had the best starts of the bunch, take a look at race 2 in Gothenburg. The only reason they didn't round the first mark way ahead of the pack was a broken foil kept the boat from getting up to keep up with the fleet. I noticed a number of races that were similar, with Nathan nailing the line but for some reason, the blue boat would fall back ( I don't know what the issue was). Iain Percy had mentioned after Gothenburg that he was proud of Nathan in that he felt he was getting the best of the fleet at the starts, but that they were just not putting everything together for whatever reason again I can't say.

With what Artemis pulled off as a TEAM in Bermuda, both sailing and shore/support personnel, I believe that a much improved Artemis racing will be at each regatta in 2016.

The morale boost should help them too, it's been a long time coming - they really needed this big shot in the arm.

But (maybe TF excepted for the time being) these teams are ferociously competitive and AR still, like all of them, has their work cut out to get regatta wins.

Winning the Bermuda Cup is something OR badly wanted, considering their presence and role and such; but for AR being based there too it was almost equally big.

... but for AR being based there too it was almost equally big.

AR aren't based there. The team is still in SF. I believe the move is early next year.

AR aren't based there. The team is still in SF. I believe the move is early next year.

You sure ?

You sure ?

Nathan talked about it in his interview with Nic Douglass.

You sure ?

Absolutely 100% certain.

It's background information for the Swedish public, many know little about Artemis Racing, actually pretty good for what it is meant to be.

Taking the "Road to Bermuda" is currently a little geographically challenging....But I'm sure Skanska would offer to build it for them.

You sure ?

Absolutely 100% certain.

The Turbo was shipped back to Alameda last month and they held practice on SF Bay, yea, they haven't completed the move yet. Kind of in between.

They are waiting for the Morgan's Island stuctures to complete so they can bring that very important and vital component to the team to Bermuda, design and build.

^ missed the news of this when it happened...

The 1.83 meter tall and 83 kilograms State of the art Artemis sailor Christian Kamp from Horsens Yacht Club has been injured for several months with a hamstring in a chest muscle, broken shoulder and a fractured tooth.

This was after he during training in the spring flew up and brutally hit a carbon fiber-sidestag, on a AC 45, with 30 knots drilled bow down in a trough.

But now Denmark's only America's Cup sailing again fit for fight he explains in this week to minbaad.dk.

That facility? Quite obviously it's for JAR.....

I thought they were going for a temporary building. Looks to me like they are establishing a permanent presence.

It's how the b's roll :) I sailed for a guy with a G-4 which he used mostly for buisness so it was more of a tool for him than anything else . He used to laugh at some of the other owners at the air park that would brag about their modifications up to and including " fireplaces" in their Gulfstresms . The B's are a different breed and most love to show it :)

Now your catching on .

One permanent building = JAR or perhaps less actually .

This is what a real,Americas Cup used to look like .

How far down the old toilet this has gone .

post-11911-0-65493300-1446261972_thumb.jpeg

post-11911-0-14420500-1446262101_thumb.jpeg

post-11911-0-22021800-1446262114_thumb.jpeg

It doesn't matter what they do off the water. All that counts is what happens on the water. And in many ways, it really is JAR........except if it were JAR it would have decent length races and wouldn't be turned into something totally pathetic in a misguided attempt to turn it into a television spectacle. Why is it that the Extreme series is still great value on TV while the AC is such a joke?

It doesn't matter what they do off the water. All that counts is what happens on the water. And in many ways, it really is JAR........except if it were JAR it would have decent length races and wouldn't be turned into something totally pathetic in a misguided attempt to turn it into a television spectacle. Why is it that the Extreme series is still great value on TV while the AC is such a joke?

While the ACEA have completely screwed the broadcast model for the ACWS, the original format was much better and the app sucks as well as the "pay-per-race" format this has turned out to be.

But the ESS, really? I watch it, easily available to stream for free to any TV in my home or work, but the broadcast cannot compare to what the ACEA present. It is by far the best race coverage that you will find anywhere. I find most yacht race broadcasts to be nearly unwatchable (I said nearly).

Excellent video from John as usual. They foil upwind and tack very well.

Their first gybe is a fail, both bows going up and the boat falling and stopping. The second one is not perfect flybe but still very good, the boat keeping speed. I wonder what settings they changed or if the helsman did something different. Obviously having two foils into the water multiplies the lift whatever the speed which explains the bow going up. Also bearing away diminishes the lateral push of the wing also increasing the lift.

My guess, they change the setting of the lw foil just before the gybe, they limit the camber of the wing after the gybe, and the S of the gybe is more opened than the conventional one.

Any idea ?

Their first gybe is a fail, both bows going up and the boat falling and stopping. The second one is not perfect flybe but still very good, the boat keeping speed. I wonder what settings they changed or if the helsman did something different. Obviously having two foils into the water multiplies the lift whatever the speed which explains the bow going up. Also bearing away diminishes the lateral push of the wing also increasing the lift.

My guess, they change the setting of the lw foil just before the gybe, they limit the camber of the wing after the gybe, and the S of the gybe is more opened than the conventional one.

Any idea ?

Now, I do not know anything about the practical application of foiling techniques, but did hitting a wave and falling off the foils just before crossing the wind have anything to go with the failed gybe (flybe).

Any idea ?

Now, I do not know anything about the practical application of foiling techniques, but did hitting a wave and falling off the foils just before crossing the wind have anything to go with the failed gybe (flybe).

I did not see any wave in the video, there won't be in Bermudas either and if on the ocean they should use the wave as with conventional cats I guess.

Nice spin...

Artemis Racing’s early move to the Island will create a host of opportunities for Bermudians.

Getting into a base in the host country 15 - 18 months before the AC Match is not early. And most of the teams are going to be a lot worse off than even that.

Construction-On-New-Bermudian-Base-Artem

That's......functional!

That's......functional!

It makes me wonder if AR's Morgan Point lease has an option for extending past 2017, regardless of when/where the next AC venue might be; ala their prior SF arrangement.

That's......functional!

It makes me wonder if AR's Morgan Point lease has an option for extending past 2017, regardless of when/where the next AC venue might be; ala their prior SF arrangement.

In the Sailjuice interview, Nathan mentioned something about "ACC version 2" (AC50) after the 2017 America's Cup, so it would seem there are already discussions about what happens next.

He also mentioned that SBTJ would "inherit" a 45 surrogate, but not from which team (OR).

You sure he didn't mean the proximate rule change for AC35 :o

And he said himself it was called the 'AC Class' when jokingly quizzed about the correct name...

You sure he didn't mean the proximate rule change for AC35 :o

And he said himself it was called the 'AC Class' when jokingly quizzed about the correct name...

He could have, however I believe I remember hearing something similar on the AC Town Hall videos just before Hamilton ACWS. That the "plan" was to hold a series of regattas in the now populated AC "Class" and that the 36th edition would be contested in "version 2" of the ACC cat.

The idea being that it seems that some teams are looking already towards the next cycle along with some of the protocol.

Minister of Home Affairs visits developing Artemis Racing facility
  • 03 Nov 2015
  • Written by Carla Zuill
5734ccbbcc4bd04e97372ff3dad99251_L.jpg
Pictured at Morgan's Point from left to right: Senator, the Hon. Michael Fahy, JP, Nussli Ulrich Stienen (Engineer), Pablo Mira (Artemis Manager),
David Durham (Building Blocks), Bruce Lines, Nalton Brangman (Morgan's Point), MP Jeff Sousa, Chairman of the National Training Board.

Recently, Minister of Home Affairs, Sen. Michael Fahy visited Morgan's Point to see the progress being made on the Artemis Racing facility. Planning permission and building permits for the project was granted earlier this year with additional phases expected in coming months as the Team completes the build out as part of its America’s Cup preparation.

After his tour, Mr. Fahy said, "I was very pleased to meet several Bermudians working on the site and doing some excellent work. This is another step forward in our preparations for the America's Cup and beyond."

The Artemis project manager remarked on the professionalism of David Durham, the owner of Building Blocks who are carrying out some of the works as well as First Class Electrics among other contractors on site.

billy-instructions.jpg

m935_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14

I believe this structure to be a bit more stout than cam locks, dowels and press board!

Pre-fab steel buildings are popping up everywhere, my business is housed in a similar structure. (And again, this is a lot more permanent than the container tent structure that was originally mentioned, indications of a long term presence?)

:)

Artemis racing ArtemisGraphic.png

Artemis Racing’s trophy collection across all racing classes is second to none with the sailors and designers sharing 61 America’s Cups between them, including an incredible 14 AC victories. They also boast 21 Olympic campaigns, seven Olympic gold medals and 27 World Championship titles.

The team’s principal, owner and founder, is Swedish entrepreneur Torbjörn Törnqvist, a passionate sailor and successful businessman who began one-design racing in 2005, taking several wins in the TP52 and RC44 class. Törnqvist ‘s ambition is to win the America’s Cup and bring the oldest trophy in sport to Sweden for the first time. Artemis Racing represents the Royal Swedish Yacht Club (KSSS), the fifth oldest yacht club in the world

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com

Published on Nov 18, 2015

It was one month ago today that we were racing in Bermuda on the Great Sound. In this short clip we look back at races 2 & 3 of of our dramatic win; 'fully foiling gybes' and all :)

Vacancies

Performance Analyst Assistant

Role:
Assisting in the daily performance analysis and prediction :
• Generating daily performance reports for the sailing and design team
• Responsible to generate the performance targets running the team velocity prediction program
• Responsible to maintain the quality of the recorded data on a daily basis : sensor calibration and checking
• Working with the Performance Director on the testing configuration management

Profile:
Young and enthusiastic, attention to details and focus delivering high quality results.

Requirements:
• Engineering background,
• Strong computer literacy with focus on data handling and analysis
• High proficiency in Microsoft Excel
• 1-3 years experience in marine industry
• Sailing experience required

:)

Artemis racing ArtemisGraphic.png

Artemis Racing’s trophy collection across all racing classes is second to none with the sailors and designers sharing 61 America’s Cups between them, including an incredible 14 AC victories. They also boast 21 Olympic campaigns, seven Olympic gold medals and 27 World Championship titles.

The team’s principal, owner and founder, is Swedish entrepreneur Torbjörn Törnqvist, a passionate sailor and successful businessman who began one-design racing in 2005, taking several wins in the TP52 and RC44 class. Törnqvist ‘s ambition is to win the America’s Cup and bring the oldest trophy in sport to Sweden for the first time. Artemis Racing represents the Royal Swedish Yacht Club (KSSS), the fifth oldest yacht club in the world

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com

It looks like spinbots got himself a new swag supplier and he's changed teams.....

Their recent videos have been first class.

Published on Nov 24, 2015

Did anyone notice the mention of AR building "a secret number" of Turbos? It says in the video that they will be built in Alameda.

Will we see a second Turbo at the beginning of 2016 with the completion of the Artemis main building?

May also said something about some development ideas that they will not try until late in the development cycle.

Just how long do you wait to try out a new idea and still have enough time to develope it.

I would assume we will see a number of Turbo/Sport/Test boats launched in the late summer as "secret" development ideas are put to water.

well done..

m941_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14

Artemis Racing today won the fleet racing at the RC44 Virgin Gorda Cup, with a four point margin over Peninsula Petroleum, having led from the outset of the four day regatta. But while this was close, the outcome of the 2015 RC44 Fleet Racing Championship was closer, only decided in the last seconds of the final race, followed by some intense mathematics and the breaking of a tie.

more.. http://artemis-racing.americascup.com/en/news/197_ARTEMIS-RACING-WINS-IN-VIRGIN-GORDA.html

Did anyone notice the mention of AR building "a secret number" of Turbos? It says in the video that they will be built in Alameda.

Will we see a second Turbo at the beginning of 2016 with the completion of the Artemis main building?

May also said something about some development ideas that they will not try until late in the development cycle.

Just how long do you wait to try out a new idea and still have enough time to develope it.

I would assume we will see a number of Turbo/Sport/Test boats launched in the late summer as "secret" development ideas are put to water.

The first Turbo should be back in BDA by the end of the year and the second by February.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20151201/SPORT30/151209982

The first Turbo should be back in BDA by the end of the year and the second by February.

Interesting that they will also be brining an RC44 to Morgan's. With such a nice, permanent building to use as a base, does it look like Artemis Racing is planning a long term presence in Bermuda?

Interesting that they will also be brining an RC44 to Morgan's. With such a nice, permanent building to use as a base, does it look like Artemis Racing is planning a long term presence in Bermuda?

World capital of sailing for the next couple years and maybe more depending on the outcome. Good a place as any it seems.

Can anybody confirm that - both first and second AR Ts - as opposed to my suspicion that at least T1 came off the same molds as the OR boats at Core? I do know that Core have been building a number of wing D section spars for other teams, including the one for TF's Turbo

Don't know either but AR's Adam May said in one of the recent Road to Bermuda videos that while the base at Morgan's Point will be fully functional by late January they'd be still retaining a small build operation in Alameda. He also said that T2 would be arriving to Bermuda from there in early spring.

I thought I'd read somewhere that King Marine was to still be involved but couldn't find a reference in the 30 secs that I tried.

Although AR's first Turbo looks like OR's 1st Sport (the hulls as the front and rear beams are quite different). I believe it was mentioned back when the Turbo and Sport were first launched that the actual "flares" that house the cockpits on the two boats were not the same. Rudder positioning was definitely different.One of the main reasons they looked so similar was the center pod which I beleive was required on the AC62 as it was the Cup boat at the time they were launched.

I thought they just had to do the pointy bits of the hulls for the AC boats proper?

ACC hulls must be partly made in Sweden - but you can do what you want, where you want with non surrogate/surrogate 45's, as long as an inch or 2 mimics the immersed bits of the old AC45s.

But the test boat hulls have to be moulded somewhere - and maybe Alpina knows what Artemis are up to...

I thought they just had to do the pointy bits of the hulls for the AC boats proper?

All of 2.7 m long bow section, external skin only, if you please

If you think martial music not really fitting a sailing match, hyperbolic commentary, not a critical overnote in sight, and the voice-over of arnie schwarzenegger is first class, then yeah, I agree.

If you think martial music not really fitting a sailing match, hyperbolic commentary, not a critical overnote in sight, and the voice-over of arnie schwarzenegger is first class, then yeah, I agree.

Looks like they are on vacation. Except for the gym.

Published on Jan 13, 2016