• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
sarah0809

Artemis?

So grant now has a red tractor and a big red dog. Talk about legacy!

(Ill have either/both in a millisecond btw!)

Grant's got a Big Red Foiler. Someone else has got a Big Black Dog at the vet's B)

I thought Artemis was BIG RED!!

Question the testing of the first Artemis Ac72 wing does this constitute A test day and if not why ? I would say Artemis is the Big Red one . or as i dubbed months ago Wingzilla for several obvious reasons .Technically I would argue that a test day . Entz was out testing before official measurement so both tests should count the same . Its a Appendix of the AC72 and its was sailing .. I havent found any wing test days in the Class rule yet still looking .

The limits apply to AC72 (+ surrogates), an Orma72 trimaran & wing is neither according to the rules.

1_wing_620.png

Not long to wait for the real thing now though

artemisAC72_SF4.jpg

In theory you could build a test bed that does not meet the box rules if thats the case . Seems a bit out of the box One the main appendixes for the boat and you can test it separate lets face it the wings a big part . We have seen whats happens to the foils that have been scaled . Look what happened to this wing as well , thou full size . Thought this was a Orma 60 ?

perhaps well see the first Sailing of BIG Red One Fleet week . I dont think the Artemis base is going to open its doors to play show and tell . Wonder what type of daggers where on the Orma during testing ?

In theory you could build a test bed that does not meet the box rules if thats the case . Seems a bit out of the box One the main appendixes for the boat and you can test it separate lets face it the wings a big part . We have seen whats happens to the foils that have been scaled . Look what happened to this wing as well , thou full size . Thought this was a Orma 60 ?

perhaps well see the first Sailing of BIG Red One Fleet week . I dont think the Artemis base is going to open its doors to play show and tell . Wonder what type of daggers where on the Orma during testing ?

I might be wrong but I think when they first got a hold of the boat they extended the hulls to closer match the length of a 72.

1.1(xx) Surrogate Yacht means any catamaran yacht that is greater than 10 meters LOA,

except that an AC45 Yacht whose “platform” (external shape of the hulls, and the

crossbeams) comply with the AC45 Class Rule shall not be a Surrogate Yacht. For

the avoidance of doubt, daggerboard cases may be modified, and for the purposes of

this definition any such modification is not deemed to change the external shape of

the hull.

29.2. AC72 Yacht Launch and Sailing Limits

(a) Each Competitor may build, acquire or otherwise obtain a maximum of two new AC72

Yachts.

29.4. Surrogate Yachts

After 1 January 2012, using a Surrogate Yacht for training or for testing and development of

hulls, decks, appendages, Wing Spars and soft sails for an AC72 Yacht shall be deemed to

be the acquisition of an AC72 Yacht

Specifically says a Surrogate is a catamaran longer than 10m LoA used after 1 Jan 2012.

The limits apply to AC72 (+ surrogates), an Orma72 trimaran & wing is neither according to the rules.

1_wing_620.png

artemisAC72_SF4.jpg

Artemis AC72 will be on the water following the ACWS.

1_wing_620.png

artemisAC72_SF4.jpg

Ok thats good to know . Any idea about which month afer ACWS ? :) Sorry but you did leave us hanging :) Looking foreward to seeing it , whenever .

1_wing_620.png

artemisAC72_SF4.jpg

Ok thats good to know . Any idea about which month afer ACWS ? :) Sorry but you did leave us hanging :) Looking foreward to seeing it , whenever .

I strongly suspect it will be before November to give the out of town spies time to find out what a real Sauvignon Blanc tastes like B)

Is it just me or does Artemis seem to be laying low and letting the other teams show off? Any news on when their wing will back in action, looking forward to seeing the third AC 72 on the water.

Artemis Racing – Red helmsman Santiago Lange (ARG) and tactician Kevin Hall (USA) are busy with the preparations of the team’s AC72, which will sail for the first time later this month. Both men are key players in the development of the AC72. Lange, who is a naval architect, is the design team-sailing team liaison, while Hall is head of the Performance and Information group.

Is it just me or does Artemis seem to be laying low and letting the other teams show off? Any news on when their wing will back in action, looking forward to seeing the third AC 72 on the water.

They're not doing it by choice. If anything, the pressure is on them to show something matching the excitement generated by the first two AC72s launched. They would not want to rush anything and risk breaking the wing again.

Got a short peak inside the man cave today. Lots of things have happened, the 72 is all polished up, a second wing is visable and a huge headsail is being pieced together in the sail loft. Still no crane or obvious support equipment on site but wouldn't it be fun if Artemis floated their boat with all the distraction of the ACWS this weekend? Remember, they snuck the tri in during the last event. :)

I received a personal invite to visit the Artemis base - will be interested in checking it out maybe next week.

+ guest?

I didn't ask when offered and generally don't like to push my luck with such offers - all due respect to the generosity of he who offered.

Got a short peak inside the man cave today. Lots of things have happened, the 72 is all polished up, a second wing is visable and a huge headsail is being pieced together in the sail loft. Still no crane or obvious support equipment on site but wouldn't it be fun if Artemis floated their boat with all the distraction of the ACWS this weekend? Remember, they snuck the tri in during the last event. :)

Have they finished working on the main beam?

I heard they had found a structural problem which required a lot of extra black stuff to make it good again

and that it was going to take a few weeks to do it. :unsure:

I heard they had found a structural problem which required a lot of extra black stuff to make it good again

Couldn't tell. It was a very short peak.

Thanks J-Bird, always good to get what sounds like the real inside scoop.

Bad luck for Artemis - hope they it get out of the hanger soon.

Anything to share about why the wing and beam had 'issues'?

Thanks J-Bird, always good to get what sounds like the real inside scoop.

Bad luck for Artemis - hope they it get out of the hanger soon.

Anything to share about why the wing and beam had 'issues'?

Rumours & Lies !

The Wing was construction and the Beam design

Cayard would have to be reasonably happy with his new helmsman acquisition after that first fleet race.

They made the wrong call on the first upwind (who made the call?) but seemed to have plenty of speed.

Cayard would have to be reasonably happy with his new helmsman acquisition after that first fleet race.

They made the wrong call on the first upwind (who made the call?) but seemed to have plenty of speed.

Cayard was the appointed tactician.

Be interesting to see if he's huffing and puffing as much as Coutts. He's in a pretty active role being up from. A little bit wet too based on the video.

I'm thinking there may have been a little wry smile on his face after they beat TH in the first fleet race today by a country mile....

Mex

You have to be joking don't you? Cayard and Coutts and all these old wankers? How much money and how much ego do these wankers want? No surprise to see current medalists kicking them

You have to be joking don't you? Cayard and Coutts and all these old wankers? How much money and how much ego do these wankers want? No surprise to see current medalists kicking them

FFS go and get that hump surgically removed off your shoulder.

Why is ETNZ so adamant over 10 years that Dean et al is so infallible? Why is he so protected? Clearly there are no better sailors in the world. Funny how other teams identify talent. As usual Indie, nothing changes. Bit like ETNZ

Agreed that the olympic youth has brought an interesting perspective into the series and seems to be quickly challenging some of the old guard.

Experience has it's benefits, but the youth seem to have shorter learning curves, NO being a great example. He could be a cataylist for Artemis.LR seems to be lagging in this area and they don't seem to be progressing as much as the other teams with younger sailors despite having fielded two teams.

^I agree - Artemis look good in the personnel stakes now.

Apparently Cayard was too busy to be helpful as a technician in the first race so it seems NO chose the wrong side on the first beat.

Both BA and JS seemed just a little quicker in outright boatspeed so the NO pattern seems to be continuing a little despite changing teams - great starts and fading races.

I'm sure he and the team would like to see that change but with 6 months till the next AC45 event I'm not sure whether it's worth worrying about.

Agreed that the olympic youth has brought an interesting perspective into the series and seems to be quickly challenging some of the old guard.

Experience has it's benefits, but the youth seem to have shorter learning curves, NO being a great example. He could be a cataylist for Artemis.LR seems to be lagging in this area and they don't seem to be progressing as much as the other teams with younger sailors despite having fielded two teams.

As coaches maybe but then good old Joey Allen and Wodney would loose there jobs. Dee Smith as a SF guru? Someone is taking the piss. Fuck me what a joke

^I agree - Artemis look good in the personnel stakes now.

Apparently Cayard was too busy to be helpful as a technician in the first race so it seems NO chose the wrong side on the first beat.

Both BA and JS seemed just a little quicker in outright boatspeed so the NO pattern seems to be continuing a little despite changing teams - great starts and fading races.

I'm sure he and the team would like to see that change but with 6 months till the next AC45 event I'm not sure whether it's worth worrying about.

Really Artemis is in the game? Another Cayard robbery. How anyone in their right mind would ever believe that a thief like Cayard could win you the Americas Cup? Terry H winning the AC, yeah right.

Surely is a 'chip', he could be evenly balanced and have one on each shoulder?

"Artemis Racing has recently entered into an agreement with Alain Thébault’s Hydroptère in which the project’s lead engineer will contribute his foiling trimaran expertise to Artemis Racing. “The next winner of the Cup might be a flying catamaran. Foils and wings thus meet here in San Francisco for the most prestigious sailing trophy. I can feel here the creative elements and the pioneering spirit that has been driving us since our first flights on l’Hydroptère,” said Alain Thébault."

Interesting, who are the current Artemis foil dudes?

So Artemis put in the question to the Jury and when they got the go ahead for H-DCNS foils they signed the contract? Sweet.

"Artemis Racing has recently entered into an agreement with Alain Thébault's Hydroptère in which the project's lead engineer will contribute his foiling trimaran expertise to Artemis Racing. "The next winner of the Cup might be a flying catamaran. Foils and wings thus meet here in San Francisco for the most prestigious sailing trophy. I can feel here the creative elements and the pioneering spirit that has been driving us since our first flights on l'Hydroptère," said Alain Thébault."

Well I reckon that and the rule requests about the inward swinging boards should be a pretty good indicator of what we can expect Artemis to be using in a few days.

After watching the weekend racing it seems the smartest thing to do is to team Ian Percy up with Nathan Outeridge. That would create a super combination. Ian's communication on the boat was great and something Nathan was lacking. Nathan as the helm continues to impress. What a great problem for Artemis to have.

Does anyone know when Artemis are going to launch their 72? Last I remember was after the ACWS....

They haven't announced an official date - could be this week.

Hopefully so.

The Google Earth picture is outdated but it still represents the path they need to take to get to the water. Because of parking considerations I'd guess probably on a weekend.

Close to 700 yds using Google ruler.

post-34764-0-30131500-1349999639_thumb.jpg

Geez, that really is the path?

The diagram AR filed w Alameda that we saw back-when made it look like a much sweeter setup. Did Alameda say No?

700 yards is a long way, could see them taking advantage of P32 a lot, ultimately.

I did a little searching. Looks like they got approval, and that the situation is not so bad...

http://blog.sfgate.c...eda-point-home/

And I am uploading a screen shot of Google Earth with the plan image overlayed on the background.

I've seen that presentation too but sadly thats not the present layout. The present Artemis dock is where my presentation shows it.

Hopefully by August 2013 things will have changed.

Percy and NO is the team you would field if you wanted to win in a 45..........Vs. TH and PC if you wanted to win by a long, long way.

As I saw/heard it, NO was given almost zero by anyone else on board. Percy literally had to slow the whole process down for TH (TH is working at his capacity just driving the boat [compare to Ben Ainslie]), strategy, tactics and boat handling. Seriously, if you started with a clean sheet of paper would they be on the boat? No.

Others on the various forums have said that TH needs to be given time to develop boat handling! This is wrong. The very best have innately superior boat handling as the bedrock of their skills. TH will not learn these handling skills now.

Surely is a 'chip', he could be evenly balanced and have one on each shoulder?

Gee Ump did you look at the results?

I did a little searching. Looks like they got approval, and that the situation is not so bad...

And I am uploading a screen shot of Google Earth with the plan image overlayed on the background.

I've seen that presentation too but sadly thats not the present layout. The present Artemis dock is where my presentation shows it.

The plan has them in a different building from your drawing. Are you saying that they changed the plan to use a different building, put a hole big enough for their 72 in a brick wall in that new building and hence have to move the boat 2x as far??? Why would they do that?

The plan has them in a different building from your drawing. Are you saying that they changed the plan to use a different building, put a hole big enough for their 72 in a brick wall in that new building and hence have to move the boat 2x as far??? Why would they do that?

That plan is a plan, not todays reality. My presentation is correct, different building, different pier. If you live in Bezerkely lets meet up and I'll walk you through the whole set-up. I'm "feet on the ground" there 3 times a week. :)

Oh boy!

How long do you estimate until the crane is functional?

Photos?

Don't know, @ 1 pm they had all the pieces laid out in column and were starting to assemble. I'd guess by late today

No pics, shitty camera gave up the ghost yesterday.

Normally you wouldn't set up a crane and leave it idle - it would have to be manned, for liability reasons, even if you weren't doing anything useful with it

so expect a launch real soon

That plan is a plan, not todays reality. My presentation is correct, different building, different pier. If you live in Bezerkely lets meet up and I'll walk you through the whole set-up. I'm "feet on the ground" there 3 times a week. :)

I live in Berkeley and I work in Alameda, though at the other end, by the airport. I would be happy to meet midday some weekday to go look at the Artemis compound.

Normally you wouldn't set up a crane and leave it idle - it would have to be manned, for liability reasons, even if you weren't doing anything useful with it

So maybe we'll see them out on the bay this weekend.

I live in Berkeley and I work in Alameda, though at the other end, by the airport. I would be happy to meet midday some weekday to go look at the Artemis compound.

sent you a pm

Next weekend.

Makes sense, the Artemis RIB is over at Nelsons having lower end work done on it engines.

As in more power, so it will be able to keep up with ETNZ?

Don't know squat about cranes but this one is a mobile crane that lives in the down postion. Pics to follow

Don't know squat about cranes but this one is a mobile crane that lives in the down postion. Pics to follow

Pic

post-34764-0-97749500-1350180761_thumb.jpg

Pic

I know a little more than squat about cranes .. That crane shown in your photo is mobile but needs to be assembled on site so it is likely to be there for the duration .. In the photo it has been assembled and is ready to lift it's boom and get to work .. It can be left idle as shown indefinitely .

Pic

I know a little more than squat about cranes .. That crane shown in your photo is mobile but needs to be assembled on site so it is likely to be there for the duration .. In the photo it has been assembled and is ready to lift it's boom and get to work .. It can be left idle as shown indefinitely .

Spot on, Terry. I happen to have a crane operators licence plus a banksman (dogman) licence and would have no issues with the crane being left like that indefinitely. Having said that, I cannot imagine that Artemis would have got the crane on site and assembled unless they needed to use it pretty soon. It must be costing somebody something just to sit there.

That crane is way smaller than I was envisioning - easy to inspect and maintain, so NBD

but AR is paying to have it in their yard, instead of the contractor's

Pic

Spot on, Terry. I happen to have a crane operators licence plus a banksman (dogman) licence and would have no issues with the crane being left like that indefinitely. Having said that, I cannot imagine that Artemis would have got the crane on site and assembled unless they needed to use it pretty soon. It must be costing somebody something just to sit there.

I'm glad you guys both weighed in on this as I was about to call my doctor to request a prescription for sleeping pills I was so concerned.

The frigging crane is on the ground, what are you on about, an earthquake ? It might move 12 inches and kill a few ants.

Pic

When you are spending 100m for an AC challenge, a little crane charge is pocket change.

Being that the weight being lifted is so low, having this type gives you some options. A fixed tower crane is limited in its reach, and for the penny pinchers, probably way more expensive once you get permits, inspections, etc. With this set-up you probably only need a certified operator.

Simple and inexpensive.

Pic

When you are spending 100m for an AC challenge, a little crane charge is pocket change.

Being that the weight being lifted is so low, having this type gives you some options. A fixed tower crane is limited in its reach, and for the penny pinchers, probably way more expensive once you get permits, inspections, etc. With this set-up you probably only need a certified operator.

Simple and inexpensive.

agreed, no idea why this isn't the norm for all teams...

Crane Stuff (slow day)

I stepped of the crane length from pivot point on the bed to end of super structure.

76 golf steps. Approx 234 feet. The pivot point is roughly 6' off the ground

Is this enought to step the wing and then lift the boat off the transport cradle?

BTW there were some new position marks painted on the tarmac. Splash is soon.

This bad boy is parked out in the Alameda lagoon today.

Don't dawdle on souvenir photo's..

It will get a bit interesting if Artemis hits the water, gets up on its foils .... and goes!

L'Hydroptere was due to leave the Bay Area last week and return to L.A. Does anyone know if this happened?

No it did not...I think you confused certain crew members vs boat leaving.

L'Hydroptere was due to leave the Bay Area last week and return to L.A. Does anyone know if this happened?

From yesterday

post-34764-0-44641600-1350410085_thumb.jpg

From yesterday

Try for some morning light tomorrow, I'll trade for twilight.

From yesterday

Try for some morning light tomorrow, I'll trade for twilight.

tried to send you a pm. Shoot me one I've got a question

This bad boy is parked out in the Alameda lagoon today.

Don't dawdle on souvenir photo's..

It will get a bit interesting if Artemis hits the water, gets up on its foils .... and goes!

Artemis will not be foiling .... at least not in the same way as TNZ or USA

They have standard curved boards which can be canted inboard which will give some lift

but I doubt the hull will become airborne. If they manage to sail against USA we will

know for sure which option is best.

They should wrap it in cotton wool, and sell it to Larry when the options run out!