Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah0809

Artemis?

All the orange cargo strapping at the forward beam seems to be holding a piece of plywood and a 2x piece of lumber down on the port side of the beam. I cannot see the same arrangement on the other side.

Area of "damage", or something to do with lifting the boat?

Was just thinking the same thing... Looking a bit closer at the picture, it would appear the profile of the beam is indented at the top in the area where the straps are - could be serious...

Why do you have your boat sitting in the shed for weeks (while repairing your wing) until finally towing it for the first time only to find out you have a problem.

They could have started looking for the problem weeks ago.

They did .... see post 1221

on checking their numbers the designers found a FU that required more carbon layers on the inside of the beam to fix.

when they cut holes in the beam to go in to laminate the extra layers they found a major build FU.

I guess the repair has not gone so well. :(

Define major build FU

The join in the beam was full of voids

One tow in the water......and.........

Do Swedes make tractors?

From cranes to tractors, yes:

One tow in the water......and.........

Do Swedes make tractors?

Yes ....... very good ones

The only thing "Swedish" about Artemis is the passport of the wallet

Why do you have your boat sitting in the shed for weeks (while repairing your wing) until finally towing it for the first time only to find out you have a problem.

on checking their numbers the designers found a FU that required more carbon layers on the inside of the beam to fix.

when they cut holes in the beam to go in to laminate the extra layers they found a major build FU.

Define major build FU

After the wing FU, it would seem another black eye for King Marine. And yet, they say they are currently building #2 boat ..

http://www.kingmarine.es/projects

Define major build FU

After the wing FU, it would seem another black eye for King Marine. And yet, they say they are currently building #2 boat ..

if voids are present

material could have been SP gurit uni pre-preg resin system , known for that issue even at 8bar pressure if not laminated very carefully

Define major build FU

if voids are present

material could have been SP gurit uni pre-preg resin system , known for that issue even at 8bar pressure if not laminated very carefully

Could have been a lot of things, you guessing or stating?

Mate look at the tow. Two different boards (but towed by David Brooke what a legend). Possibly the biggest "owner rape" of all time. Good on yah Paul.

I think the boards are the same from launch and deployed differently

They felt bad about oracle's flip so they thought they'd break something too, to keep with the trend.

So is it only matter of time unitl ETNZ crashes or breaks something?

post-23477-0-96536700-1350625492_thumb.jpg

big Y like etnz

under spiderweb like etnz

foils like hydroptere? look at the top cant adjustment

rudders like an ac45?

minipod at the back

might be best match racer in prestart?

boards down and canted oddly here

towing from just the 1 side?

post-23477-0-62379400-1350625721_thumb.jpg

That second shot gives a nice indication of how much the boards can articulate.

That they lifted her out using those two extra, inner strops around the front beam suggests strongly that there is damage; but I suppose it could have been just an abundance of caution after hearing things that were suspicious but actually harmless. Like the one guy says, they'll probably know in very short order which of the two it is.

It looks about as beefy, and stiff, as ETNZ does with that massive Y.

Haven't yet spotted the possible attachment points someone referred to above, that might further suggest it was AR who submitted those foil diagrams to the Measurers.

post-23477-0-96536700-1350625492_thumb.jpg

big Y like etnz

under spiderweb like etnz

foils like hydroptere? look at the top cant adjustment

rudders like an ac45?

minipod at the back

might be best match racer in prestart?

boards down and canted oddly here

towing from just the 1 side?

post-23477-0-62379400-1350625721_thumb.jpg

That second shot gives a nice indication of how much the boards can articulate.

That they lifted her out using those two extra, inner strops around the front beam suggests strongly that there is damage; but I suppose it could have been just an abundance of caution after hearing things that were suspicious but actually harmless. Like the one guy says, they'll probably know in very short order which of the two it is.

It looks about as beefy, and stiff, as ETNZ does with that massive Y.

Haven't yet spotted the possible attachment points someone referred to above, that might further suggest it was AR who submitted those foil diagrams to the Measurers.

does it matter who submitted it?

I doubt AR would publish if they exploited it...

It will be very interesting to compare a full foiler with a semi foiler. I hope OR is be able to repair so we can also compare with T foils.

VPLP said 2 years ago that new boats would fly, however big multi like BPV and MOD70 went for the safe solution of semi foiler.

If the AC happens to be a destruction derby, TNZ and ART seem strong.

You're right; more important - okay, really just interesting - is if there is evidence of a setup like that, for these AR boards.

Again, I missed seeing it - can anyone point it out more clearly?

Define major build FU

King Marine did not build the wing

It was built by Artemis using Future Fibres facilities and staff

^^

Noted, thanks. In fact, who built the cross-beams? Being tubular and autoclaved ..

^^

Noted, thanks. In fact, who built the cross-beams? Being tubular and autoclaved ..

My info ...... they were built by King M and are not autoclaved.

Speaking of possible damage

This pic shows the starboard hull pissing out a bunch of water at the foill exit after the tow. The boat ws held in suspension for 30-40 seconds untill it all drained. Normal?

post-34764-0-76190600-1350671052_thumb.jpg

They felt bad about oracle's flip so they thought they'd break something too, to keep with the trend.

So is it only matter of time unitl ETNZ crashes or breaks something?

Maybe when it does a few victory wheelies next year?

I think that, from the beginning, OR design is a joke, TNZ impressive, Art a pretty serious contender. Now I want to see them sailing.

This is awesome.

You in particular know I read Sailing Anarchy in hope of gems like this. Where else can I get the real shit, the critical essense, the raw, untreated sewage of opinion from someone who is so qualified to comment?

In all seriousness, thank you.

Koukel

I think that, from the beginning, OR design is a joke, TNZ impressive, Art a pretty serious contender. Now I want to see them sailing.

This is awesome.

You in particular know I read Sailing Anarchy in hope of gems like this. Where else can I get the real shit, the critical essense, the raw, untreated sewage of opinion from someone who is so qualified to comment?

Koukel

Which one was the miraculous revelation to you...the "OR design is a joke" bit!? :lol:

^^

My info ...... they were built by King M and are not autoclaved.

You have a direct from source 'Cite' for that?

There's a shitload of supposition going on at the moment.

This pic shows the starboard hull pissing out a bunch of water at the foill exit after the tow. The boat ws held in suspension for 30-40 seconds untill it all drained. Normal?

Both hulls pissing out water from the daggerboard trunks, so that pic had to be less than 10s after it was pulled out of the water assuming their boat is legal.

Also just to the right of the bright orange lift strap on the main crossbeam it looks like there is a a very large man standing on the containers, or the camera is playing tricks.

This is awesome.

Koukel

Which one was the miraculous revelation to you...the "OR design is a joke" bit!? :lol:

All the idiots in one basket, how cute.

This is starting to look like a suprisingly clean and simple platform, no complex island in the middle, conventional rudders, boards are interesting but not really crazy shapes.

Perhaps it is just a plain old sail boat that works when going to windward and just a hint of foil assist on the way back down.

Mind you they did have a self eating wing so who knows...

This is awesome.

Koukel

You are right. Based on the correlation between Tornado-Cat predictions (wishful thinking?) for the 33rd Cup and the results from his words we should conclude that Oracle will defend succesfully against Artemis...

You in particular know I read Sailing Anarchy in hope of gems like this.

^^ So, the pitchpole of a 72 ft cat with the windward is normal for you ?

If you don't think the cause is the design, what do you think it is, the crew? the "10ft waves" ?

Do you say they are going to keep same design ?

With all your experience on SA you should be able to give us the hint of an answer.

Based on the correlation between Tornado-Cat predictions (wishful thinking?) for the 33rd Cup and the results from his words we should conclude that Oracle will defend succesfully against Artemis...

I don't think you can find a quote saying A5 would surely win after the wing was made public and mainly after the extension was set. I remember writing that I was impressed.

If you don't think the cause is the design, what do you think it is, the crew? the "10ft waves" ?

Do you say they are going to same design ? LOL

When you bear away with one of these boats in 25+ knots there are so many reasons why pitchpole can happen that no one with a minimal knowledge would talk with the authority you display which can just come from ignorance.

I am sure the TNZ guys who are far from stupid and who, by the way, have limited so far their testing to straight line sailing and low risk manouvers in signifficantly less wind (not saying that is wrong at all but certainly the chances for somthing like that to happen are way smalle) are less dismissive than you.

Based on the correlation between Tornado-Cat predictions (wishful thinking?) for the 33rd Cup and the results from his words we should conclude that Oracle will defend succesfully against Artemis...

I don't think you can find a quote saying A5 would surely win after the wing was made public and mainly after the extension was set. I remember writing that I was impressed.

Wing? The wing helped but righting moment won. As simple as that. Why do you think Alinghi's whole fight was to try to dispute the Cup in a venue where there was little wind?

When you bear away with one of these boats in 25+ knots there are so many reasons why pitchpole can happen that no one with a minimal knowledge would talk with the authority you display which can just come from ignorance.

I am sure the TNZ guys who are far from stupid and who, by the way, have limited so far their testing to straight line sailing and low risk manouvers in signifficantly less wind (not saying that is wrong at all but certainly the chances for somthing like that to happen are way smalle) are less dismissive than you.

I never said that bear away in 25+ knots was not dangerous and the videos of TNZ burying the bows show that it must be a concern for them too. It can happen to any team to pitchpole.

However I allways thought that OR1, would not survive in 25 +.

I don't see how such a flexible cat can T foil and we saw the result.

Now, if we want to see if OR considers it OK or wrong, we have to wait for the next boat or this one's modifications.

If your "insider" expertise proves you right, it will be the same, ...

Wing? The wing helped but righting moment won. As simple as that. Why do you think Alinghi's whole fight was to try to dispute the Cup in a venue where there was little wind?

A5 was designed for RAK flat seas, she ended up going up and down in the sea in front of Valencia.

However the power of the wing made most of the difference, mainy downwind.

No wonder it was sitting low. 30 seconds of water draining is quite a lot. This boat has issues. Did you seelin the video PC and TH in the little inflatable? Look at Cayard's hand motion. I think the starboard hull is suspect.

Both hulls pissing out water from the daggerboard trunks, so that pic had to be less than 10s after it was pulled out of the water assuming their boat is legal.

Also just to the right of the bright orange lift strap on the main crossbeam it looks like there is a a very large man standing on the containers, or the camera is playing tricks.

Sure seems like a lot of water where you would not want it to be, or a secret water ballast system?

The man does look odd, maybe a camera trick.

Sure seems like a lot of water where you would not want it to be, or a secret water ballast system?

The man does look odd, maybe a camera trick.

It has to be an issue. Like I said te rules state it has to drain in 10s. Other wise it would be a brilliant water ballast system.

It will be very interesting to compare a full foiler with a semi foiler. I hope OR is be able to repair so we can also compare with T foils.

VPLP said 2 years ago that new boats would fly, however big multi like BPV and MOD70 went for the safe solution of semi foiler.

======================

I don't get Artemis with no T-foils on the rudder-can't fly without them. You think they're just going the "foil assist" route?

======================

I don't get Artemis with no T-foils on the rudder-can't fly without them. You think they're just going the "foil assist" route?

Yes, which a safe solution and proven solution, and maybe the best with 30 knots + in the bay.

As we know, the longer the hull, the less we need pure foiling.

Very interesting times that will beneficial for all cat sailors.

I hope we can see on the same race T, S and foil assist.

However you know what i allways thought of T foils on a flex platform.

Do you say they are going to keep same design ?

With all your experience on SA you should be able to give us the hint of an answer.

I make fun of you because of your repeated willingness to draw conclusions and generalize. I don't make fun of your sailing because you come off like a dolt on AC Anarchy, how would I know how good you are? We've never been in the same race as far as I know. I don't make fun of your rigging or foil set up, I don't even know enough to criticize.

If you had said the OR boat seemed fatally flawed from the start, too flexible and too narrow in the bows, who could even argue with you? But to say the design is a joke ignores everything the design may have had that was brilliant. What if she pointed 3 degrees closer with similar speed upwind to New Zealand? You have no idea I suspect, so in my opinion you sound ignorant.

And yes, I think OR has clearly screwed up in a lot of ways. Funny thing is that their willingness to screw up is the one of the most American things about them. As was their willingness to make the rules so fair they can't necessarily change the rules or spend their way out disaster and into success.

Now Artemis is faced with the same challenge as Oracle. Is their organization sound enough to overcome design and construction flaws? So far, New Zealand appears to have a more cohesive organization, so maybe they'll be able to overcome their issues when they innevitably happen.

Bring it on.

Koukel

... bunch of 2x4s and 2x6s ...

That cross strut for the 2 secondary straps was not used in the launch reportedly.

They cracked the forward beam?????

Kinda looks like it.

There are five straps holding the pile of lumber to the beam on the port side of the mast step. Suspiciously splint like I would reckon.

Swedish Tractor Anarchy Rules OK

Swedish AC 34 Tractor.bmp

You're right; more important - okay, really just interesting - is if there is evidence of a setup like that, for these AR boards.

Again, I missed seeing it - can anyone point it out more clearly?

Take a look at the floats on the test mule tri when it came off the ship: http://sander.photos...0000MKCqw66d7aE

Also on the cat, there are horizontal carbon struts on the inboard side of the hull even with the leading edge of the boards where they come through the deck, any ideas? http://forums.sailin...ttach_id=183459

That cross strut for the 2 secondary straps was not used in the launch reportedly.

Kinda looks like it.

There are five straps holding the pile of lumber to the beam on the port side of the mast step. Suspiciously splint like I would reckon.

Funny this morning, they are working on the streets placing new water pipes in and lo and behold, there was a bright red, new looking, Massey Ferguson tractor on the side. Just about wrecked my bike..........................................

Did not see any 'foils' on the implements, BTW.

Kinda looks like it.

Funny this morning, they are working on the streets placing new water pipes in and lo and behold, there was a bright red, new looking, Massey Ferguson tractor on the side. Just about wrecked my bike..........................................

Did not see any 'foils' on the implements, BTW.

MFs are everywhere!

Some MF's use 'C' foils for ploughing. None use 'L' foils for ploughing afaik. Any dumb redneck could have told OR that!

Laurent was old news in !988. Nothing changed in the sailing world? Absolutely amazed that these people still have a job. Paul Cayard has so much to answer for. He may speak a few languages but "you are a thieving cunt" possibly works with one

Horrible picture of the wing, way to much glare.

6 flaps (trailing edge elements) visable

That the new wing or the repaired one?

Don't know

To be honest to my untrained eyes, it looked to be a bit short on length.

post-34764-0-53559900-1350757008_thumb.jpg

the wing in that picture has artemis written on the flap, a Swedish flag graphic just below an americas cup logo, previous pictures of the artemis wing only has artemis written on the leading edge and no flag or americas cup logo, so it is probably a new wing, it is however possible they have just changed the graphics on the original

Don't know

To be honest to my untrained eyes, it looked to be a bit short on length.

Looks like quite a stiff structure, would be interesting to compare sag w/ nz style D-fairing, plus tubular spar, assuming they are doing a D shaped leading edge structure w/ no internal vertical spar, from a moment of inertia perspective, same amount of material per unit length, the latter will always be stiffer.

552214_478006832244777_1058373416_n.jpg

Ooops, most interesting photo I have seen so far. What is that ????

On the back is the Hydroptere, an L foil with an articulation on the top. Are they fitting new foils to the hydroptere ? wil try it for Artemis ?

The attachment system does not seem adapted to Artemis but to the arm of the Hydroptere. That would make the Hydroptere make a giant leap in the new generation of foils, exactly what I was thinking some times ago. The Hydroptere would beat new records and could compete in races around buoys.

Very interesting weapon for Artemis, if it is the case, but then, we have to see a new set of T rudders if they want to fly.

Very interesting K38BOB !

552214_478006832244777_1058373416_n.jpg

Ooops, most interesting photo I have seen so far. What is that ????

On the back is the Hydroptere, an L foil with an articulation on the top. Are they fitting new foils to the hydroptere ? wil try it for Artemis ?

The attachment system does not seem adapted to Artemis but to the arm of the Hydroptere. That would make the Hydroptere make a giant leap in the new generation of foils, exactly what I was thinking some times ago. The Hydroptere would beat new records and could compete in races around buoys.

Very interesting weapon for Artemis, if it is the case, but then, we have to see a new set of T rudders if they want to fly.

Very interesting K38BOB !

So that's not just their normal T rudder then?

Re-install after proper repair (of emergency shear pin) of normal articulating T foil rudder.

I never said that bear away in 25+ knots was not dangerous and the videos of TNZ burying the bows show that it must be a concern for them too. It can happen to any team to pitchpole.

However I allways thought that OR1, would not survive in 25 +.

I don't see how such a flexible cat can T foil and we saw the result.

Now, if we want to see if OR considers it OK or wrong, we have to wait for the next boat or this one's modifications.

If your "insider" expertise proves you right, it will be the same, ...

First you admit that any team could pitchpole in stronger winds. Then you conclude that because OR did so in 25+ winds their design is flawed (see also your previous posts). Hence, if one follows your logic, the designs of all teams are potentially flawed even that of ETNZ...

What is the point you want to make here? I am puzzled...

First you admit that any team could pitchpole in stronger winds..... Hence, if one follows your logic, the designs of all teams are potentially flawed even that of ETNZ...

What is the point you want to make here? I am puzzled...

The way they did it is more important than the pitchpole itself.

ETNZ as any other can fear the pitchpole, but proved to be very safe and fast above 30kts.

Enough has been said about OR,let us see if the keep the same design for their new boat.

Are there any pics of the kiwis sailing in 30kts, or do we just take GD's word for it.

Just like everyone's taking Spithill's word on foiling @ 30+knts? It is what it is...

Are there any pics of the kiwis sailing in 30kts, or do we just take GD's word for it.

did see a pic with spray that looked in the high 20's

can't be arsed looking for it just for you

edit: i think Nav has just posted the pics i remember in the other thread

CC121016-017.jpg

Don't need pictures, just common sense.

By the wind we have had on shore on a number of days they have been out you can pretty much guarantee they have been getting 30 knots or very close to it at least occasionally.

I'll put some in the TNZ thread for you, oh doubtful one!

Is Artemis a 1 boat or 2 boat program?

Also: Someone was saying the Y beams are new.

They are there in the unloading off the ship photos -> not new.

Is Artemis a 1 boat or 2 boat program?

Also: Someone was saying the Y beams are new.

They are there in the unloading off the ship photos -> not new.

2 boat program

2nd boat hulls being laminated now

Are Artemis sailing or is the boat damaged?

Artemis will not be sailing for awhile

Main beam is broken

Main beam is broken

very sorry to hear that

the team must be gutted

Main beam is broken

Hi

I must have missed that - all I heard was that there were some funny noises coming from the beam, but not that it was broken?

How the hell does a beam break during towing? At slow speed. With no sail. In calm seas. What was the load testing procedure? Just floating the damn thing? A few sailors and some sand bags?

Main beam is broken

Oh well that's all right then - thought it might have been serious :(

Thanks for the word - J-Bird. Care to elaborate a bit?

How the hell does a beam break during towing? At slow speed. With no sail. In calm seas. What was the load testing procedure? Just floating the damn thing? A few sailors and some sand bags?

They said that the tow test would secondarily include 'loading her up a bit' or words to that effect. How does one go about that exactly in the absence of any motive force? Cranking on the 'pseudo wing' (white pole) stays?

Main beam is broken

They said that the tow test would secondarily include 'loading her up a bit' or words to that effect. How does one go about that exactly in the absence of any motive force? Cranking on the 'pseudo wing' (white pole) stays?

and foils

Main beam is broken

and foils

Yes sad to hear that - hopefully LR don't have any issues, it would be great to see at least 2 x 72's sailing and they will probably be in the same harbor. Sooner Artemis get sailing the better!!

Main beam is broken

Hi

I must have missed that - all I heard was that there were some funny noises coming from the beam, but not that it was broken?

J-BIRD was the first and only poster to scoop the "problem" Artemis had with their beam many weeks ago: he's connected...

A great indicator of the seriousness of the front beam problem will be to see if the crane is still on station. I'll be doing a drive by in a couple of days.

2nd boat hulls being laminated now
Cool but damn, with main beam broken they might not even get any water time in the first boat before 2nd boat hits O_O

Any indications they might get the wing back up on the tri at least?