Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah0809

Artemis?

"That boat has sailed only 4 times, so for all we know it could yet prove to be very fast". (stingray)

I am willing to put money on that boat (artemis) not maxing out it's allowable sailing days, this year, or next. Care to make a wager, stingray?

Nathan and Iain could make for a very powerful combo. Nathan was statistically the best starter of the 11 helms in SF2(!! big); what held him back from winning the regatta looked to be the penalty mistakes others tagged on him later in the races

Here's where I got that stat, tuned it in live the other day and it's available on re-cast now. Go to about 17:00 in

http://event.on24.co...userid=70195205

Basically a product demo of Oracle Analytics Dashboard but not too bad a watch.

"That boat has sailed only 4 times, so for all we know it could yet prove to be very fast". (stingray)

I am willing to put money on that boat (artemis) not maxing out it's allowable sailing days, this year, or next. Care to make a wager, stingray?

You may well be right. Hard to guess when they'll have AR White (?) ready to go, could be soon?

broken front beam,

Hutch's screw up, and he has paid the price

How does that become Hutch's mistake?!!

I'm sure he wasn't the structural engineer that told them a mini jockey pole would be enough support to tow the boat off one bow at 15kts with the foils down!

WTF?

Who was in charge at the time the incident happened, when the crew did something they had previously been briefed not to do? As skipper in charge of the testing TH had the ultimate responsibility for the SNAFU. And he as good as admitted it in an interview.

I would be the first in line to agree that multis and Hutch are not a natural thing, and that Nathan steering was a given, but unless he wasn't willing to do the gym work, he would be the perfect match racing 'angel in the ear' for Nathan. He has proven that much.
There simply isn't room on an AC72 for somebody in that role. There is too much on and the helm has to make the decisions. I have no idea whether TH has done the time in the gym or not, but having seen him breathless from hemling the AC45, it's hard to imagine he would be capable of crewing the AC72.

Here is a glimpse of the inner workings of the team leader's approach to work out habits . . .

Seem to recall it was a newcomer with a mustache talking about how hard it was to keep up on the 45 after the last event in SF.

Nathan and Iain could make for a very powerful combo. Nathan was statistically the best starter of the 11 helms in SF2(!! big); what held him back from winning the regatta looked to be the penalty mistakes others tagged on him later in the races

Here's where I got that stat, tuned it in live the other day and it's available on re-cast now. Go to about 17:00 in

Great technology there - crashed my browser <_<

Lets hope it is all not doom and gloom for Artemis. Assuming LP will helm (no better man) and with IP and NO in the afterguard they should have the talent. I also assume the rest of the team have what it takes to get the boat around the course, so that puts the pressure on the design team! No pressure JK!

The talk seems to be that the wing may look agriculteral, but should be ok, so it is down to hull number 2. We all know that JK is a maverick. Ergo, let's hope he can bounce back from what seems to be a turkey with a Red Betty!

I hope it is not too early to write them off, if for no other reason than to make a match of it next summer.

Go Artemis and turn a few heads in 2013!

Weather?

This site is pretty good and this forcast is South Bay specific

Small Craft Advisory Synopsis...SOUTH WINDS WILL INCREASE TODAY AS THE NEXT COLD FRONT APPROACHES THE COASTAL WATERS. SEA CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE SATURDAY AS THE SOUTHERLY WINDS INCREASE. SEAS AND WINDS WILL DIMINISH SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY.

Today: SSW wind 9 to 13 kt. Rain.

Tonight: S wind 15 to 19 kt. Rain. The rain could be heavy at times.

Sunday: S wind 19 to 24 kt becoming W 6 to 11 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 31 kt. Rain, mainly before 4pm. The rain could be heavy at times.

I think a turning point for AR was bringing in Peyron. They had no multihull personnel of any significance prior to him. They put a wing designed for a cat on a tri for Christ sakes. Very different loads. I'd bet it had a lot more to do with the damage than some supplier.

I like TH. I like seeing an American in the game. Maybe there were some personality conflicts that we don't really know about, but as stated above, cats are not his bag naturally and his age didn't help matters. This is a young man's game.

The boat is showing to be a dog. Too bad they are too far down the road to ditch Juan K.

Sorry for Artemis fans, like Hutch or not this speaks of disarray, you will not be challenging for the cup. The Italians may even beat you but it means ETNZ vs Oracle in the final and should ETNZ win it would be huge. Paul Cayard must also take responsibility, who is going to sack him? Poor form Artemis...

I agree that this smacks of a terrible disarray and non cohesion in the team. I also agree that this just made challenging for the cup a LOT LOT harder for them.

However, I don't think we can write them off just yet. They may have found the correct design corner and as we all know, in the America's cup the fastest boat generally wins.

IF it turns out that the boats are roughly equal (REALLY unlikely IMHO), then I think Artemis are likely toast simply because of the Teamicide they have just committed.

Yes that's the sort of thing they needed ..

“And we have Santi Lange who will represent the technical side and he knows what our priorities are for testing."

Does that mean that Juan Kouyoumdjian is demoted ??

Lange is associated/partner with Juan K design studio,

Thanks .. didn't know that

Great technology there - crashed my browser <_</>

Whizzy but content-free on how the tool makes boats faster. It's a plug for a social media analyisis front end to a contexual search engine. Fresh: "Our performance is quite tightly-related to how much chatter there is on [social media] pages." and "This will be the pathway for who will be our final skipper." OTUSA can generate graphs that show ACWS wins translate to tweets, that penalties translate to not winning. That's all good news -- for the challengers.

I'm left wondering: can Endeca provide results using flawed models or CFD/FEA simulation output? How about with minimal or nonexistent field data? Can it predict undetected voids in carbon fibre laminate? I think those features would be most useful.

The Russian oil fella is going to realise soon that Cayard's priority has always been to set up his and Coutts' WSL45 gravy train for life - and then set the Russian mob on his butt! :ph34r:

The Russian oil fella is going to realise soon that Cayard's priority has always been to set up his and Coutts' WSL45 gravy train for life - and then set the Russian mob on his butt! :ph34r:

Been saying this all along. RC and PC have been taking their repecrive "B's" for a ride. I hope that with the sailing team united behind the new afterguard and Santi's influence with the design team, PC gets more marginalised and it becomes even more obvious what his agenda is.

Percy and NO is the team you would field if you wanted to win in a 45..........Vs. TH and PC if you wanted to win by a long, long way.

As I saw/heard it, NO was given almost zero by anyone else on board. Percy literally had to slow the whole process down for TH (TH is working at his capacity just driving the boat [compare to Ben Ainslie]), strategy, tactics and boat handling. Seriously, if you started with a clean sheet of paper would they be on the boat? No.

Others on the various forums have said that TH needs to be given time to develop boat handling! This is wrong. The very best have innately superior boat handling as the bedrock of their skills. TH will not learn these handling skills now.

TH was never going to get there, it was obvious.

Auckland and vicinity: Summer!
Ain't exactly very summery here today.

18.5C & 16-20kt currently with a Strong Wind advisory for the afternoon:

STRONG WIND ADVISORY A03 FOR HAURAKI GULF, THE AREA FROM BREAM HEAD TO CAPE COLVILLE

Rising to northwest 25 knots gusting 35 knots early afternoon, easing below advisory criteria in the morning.

This warning cancels and replaces ADVISORY A02

Regarding seasonal weather aspect of training locations I think this may be part of why ETNZ have been seemingly rushing through the 30 days quickly with a couple of months gap: Oct/Nov/early Dec are the windy Spring months for Auckland with late Dec/Jan/Feb tending to be much less windy so it actually makes sense to get through the days ASAP.

The upgrade to the sailing team may be helpful but they still need to correct the problems that caused a three month delay in launching their first boat ..

If the second boat is also three months late they will go the LV series with an undeveloped boat and a sailing team that has not reached it's peak ..

Maybe they are upgrading their project management team as well .. if they don't we can expect more of the same failures from this team ..

The upgrade to the sailing team may be helpful but they still need to correct the problems that caused a three month delay in launching their first boat ..

If the second boat is also three months late they will go the LV series with an undeveloped boat and a sailing team that has not reached it's peak ..

Maybe they are upgrading their project management team as well .. if they don't we can expect more of the same failures from this team ..

Agreed Terry. Not many organisations can learn from their mistakes (in my experience) and do things differently. Delivering the first boat late has set everything back and that has rippled on.

On TH's departure, whilst i have been direct about TH i find it impossible to believe that any input from him has resulted in a boat which appears to have less speed or potential that the competition. The issue at Artemis is not helming it is a lack of speed and that is not TH's fault.

iom878.jpgNot the best day for picture taking but they got out and had no problems getting up on one hull. Estimated wind 10-12kts.

Roughly timmed a few gybes from start of turn to powdered up and it was in the 10-12 seconds range.

I have mixed feelings about TH,

I did not like his screams in Plymouth, but he improved a lot and I appreciated they way the crew was working later.

We know he is a mono sailer, but it is absurd to say he is not a good multi sailor after the results he got on the AC45

For sure LP has a lot more experience of big multis, particulary semi-foilers, and that is what Artemis needs.

However AR has 25 sailing days remaining and most probably won't be able to use it all. THIS is a failure, and has nothing to do with TH, as far as we know. (IMO he was not responsible for the towing)

That boat must be seriously much lower freeboard than ETNZ.

It always seems to look much wider/bigger than ETNZ somehow :unsure:

iom878.jpgNot the best day for picture taking but they got out and had no problems getting up on one hull. Estimated wind 10-12kts.

Roughly timmed a few gybes from start of turn to powdered up and it was in the 10-12 seconds range.

Any idea of the times to tack?

OT, but whenever I see pictures such as this one, I wonder about those advocating less bow volume for NZ2 ..

Been saying this all along. RC and PC have been taking their repecrive "B's" for a ride. I hope that with the sailing team united behind the new afterguard and Santi's influence with the design team, PC gets more marginalised and it becomes even more obvious what his agenda is.

=====================

I like Cayard- I think he is a great manager and sailor-and is doing well with Team Artemis.

Not the best day for picture taking but they got out and had no problems getting up on one hull. Estimated wind 10-12kts.

Good to see you, hope you had a successful op and the nurses were kind,

feeling like a quiet beer at the bar to catch some more OR rumours?

Percy and NO is the team you would field if you wanted to win in a 45..........Vs. TH and PC if you wanted to win by a long, long way.

As I saw/heard it, NO was given almost zero by anyone else on board. Percy literally had to slow the whole process down for TH (TH is working at his capacity just driving the boat [compare to Ben Ainslie]), strategy, tactics and boat handling. Seriously, if you started with a clean sheet of paper would they be on the boat? No.

Others on the various forums have said that TH needs to be given time to develop boat handling! This is wrong. The very best have innately superior boat handling as the bedrock of their skills. TH will not learn these handling skills now.

Kind of hard to beat the multiple Olympic medalist tactician and the prodigy on the helm with Peyron to keep them from going pear-shaped like Oracle. That is one boatload of talent. Especially with everyone getting schooled by Ainslie in the 45s fresh out of the blocks - something had to change.

What a difference a week makes. From his facebook posts, you could sense Nathan's frustration at not getting to steer but he has just posted the following

Finally got my chance to have a little drive, wow what an amazing boat. Looking forward to the days ahead and sending this machine.

=====================

I like Cayard- I think he is a great manager and sailor-and is doing well with Team Artemis.

Cayard is good up to a point..................He has never scored well at the 'Big Dance'. He has done very well elsewhere.

Not sure why, he has a ton of talent and experience, and SF is right at home for him. But, we shall see.

Cayard is good up to a point..................He has never scored well at the 'Big Dance'. He has done very well elsewhere.

I have only met him once and have no particular views on PC.

However, I find the statement announcing TH's exit to be embarassing.

To say they now have Percy - with all that "charisma" - is cringeworthy.

All that was needed was to thank Hutch for his contributions and wish him well for the future.

The way the statement is crafted it sounds like the results of American Idol or a beauty contest.

I think Hutch has good reasons to feel bad about the way this matter was handled.

Cayard might be out of his depth here.

What a difference a week makes. From his facebook posts, you could sense Nathan's frustration at not getting to steer but he has just posted the following

Finally got my chance to have a little drive, wow what an amazing boat. Looking forward to the days ahead and sending this machine.

It will be interesting to see what happens. After the Oracle debacle the syndicates may be very cautious in letting the young hotheads "send it".

I think Peyron may be the primary helmsman and NO the understudy. That would be a good arrangement while they are still learning how to sail these boats.

Kind of hard to beat the multiple Olympic medalist tactician and the prodigy on the helm with Peyron to keep them from going pear-shaped like Oracle. That is one boatload of talent. Especially with everyone getting schooled by Ainslie in the 45s fresh out of the blocks - something had to change.

Around the time that trio came on board Terry's days had to be numbered. Too many chiefs.

It will be interesting to see what happens. After the Oracle debacle the syndicates may be very cautious in letting the young hotheads "send it".

I think Peyron may be the primary helmsman and NO the understudy. That would be a good arrangement while they are still learning how to sail these boats.

was thinking the same...

was thinking the same...

Me too...

Bringing in Peyron and NO in was a good decision but is typical of PC .. too little too late ..

They still have to contend with the three months they lost with the launching of boat #1 .. what steps has PC taken to avoid a three month delay with boat #2 ?

If they launch a slow boat a few weeks before the LV contest it doesn't matter who the sailing team is .. they won't have a chance .

I really hope that Artemis have sorted out their more important problems and will get to the start line with a competitive boat or the LV will be a non event .

Bringing in Peyron and NO in was a good decision but is typical of PC .. too little too late ..

They still have to contend with the three months they lost with the launching of boat #1 .. what steps has PC taken to avoid a three month delay with boat #2 ?

If they launch a slow boat a few weeks before the LV contest it doesn't matter who the sailing team is .. they won't have a chance .

I really hope that Artemis have sorted out their more important problems and will get to the start line with a competitive boat or the LV will be a non event .

Way too early to make a call but if Artemis does fall over, the LVC will be a fantastic event between two proven boats that started at least on the same drawing board.

You seem to have forgotten that the boat wasn't late. It was finished on time. They didn't have a wing for it, which is a completely different matter. It seems to have been overlooked that they were first to finish and sail with an AC72 wing and that if you look at the date the platform was shipped, they were probably the first to finish building an AC72 platform. Based on that, why would you think the next platform would be delayed?

You seem to have forgotten that the boat wasn't late. It was finished on time. They didn't have a wing for it, which is a completely different matter. It seems to have been overlooked that they were first to finish and sail with an AC72 wing and that if you look at the date the platform was shipped, they were probably the first to finish building an AC72 platform. Based on that, why would you think the next platform would be delayed?

It depends on what caused the wing and the cross beam to fail .. I think it was a failure by the project management team who had inadequate control over the quality of the work and subsequent testing .. so far it has cost three months .. what makes you think there will not be a repeat of these disasters ?

Way too early to make a call but if Artemis does fall over, the LVC will be a fantastic event between two proven boats that started at least on the same drawing board.

If that happens the sailing fraternity will have been deprived of the chance to see different wing designs , hull concepts and foil concepts racing against each other .

The problem is not that the boat was late to be delivered but late to be sailing because of an incredible series of mistakes, breaking the wing, breaking the beam during towing, putting the wing before testing the platform with a mast. I don't know who is responsible for that but it is not TH.

They have no data to build a new platform and I hope they come strong for the LV if we want to have an interesting event. Up to now they just do a bit better than OR, but that is not the way to win a cup. Let 's hope they will do better.

It depends on what caused the wing and the cross beam to fail .. I think it was a failure by the project management team who had inadequate control over the quality of the work and subsequent testing .. so far it has cost three months .. what makes you think there will not be a repeat of these disasters ?

There is never a guarantee there won't be a repeat, in the same way as there is no guarantee the next ETNZ boat will be OK. However, I would argue that the wing problem was totally unforseen - if you contract a world leader toi make something that is within that company's technical expertise and if that company has proven QA processes, what else do you do? I believe that the bit that failed, a failure that turned out to be a manufacturing problem, had even been ultrasound tested before they sailed. The beam I don't know so much about, but wasn't the initial beam damage done in transit and the recent incident due to human error on the part of those on board at the time? All told, that doesn't imply to me that there is a systemic problem that will prevent the next boat being delivered on time.

While I would agree with the idea that you make your own luck, it seems to me that AR has had more than its fair share of bad luck. Or has had its problems. the only team to date that has been substantially OK is ETNZ and GD has been very clear that they are always only a moment away from a real SNAFU. I am prepared to wait until we get to the business end of this cycle before I start judging who has really screwed up due to management. Some people seem very quick to blame and write teams off, and strangely, most doing that are ETNZ supporters. ;)

Terry Hutchinson

7 hours ago

I would like to thank everybody for there encouraging words of support. I am very proud of my tenure as the skipper and helmsman of Artemis Racing. On the water I experienced an aspect of our sport that was new, exciting and this challenge culminated in the 2012 ACWS match racing championship. Ashore, I had the opportunity to work with some incredibly smart and talented people. I wish nothing but success for Artemis Racing and I thank Torbjorn Tornqvist for this opportunity.

If that happens the sailing fraternity will have been deprived of the chance to see different wing designs , hull concepts and foil concepts racing against each other .

Don't be surprised. This is the America's Cup, not a sailing fashion show!

the Outteridge comment is very telling....at this level of sports there is so much you can do to "protect" your job/role....this is a mistake that a LOT of teams make and one that TH has experienced himself....or do you think that Kenny let him touch the wheel? interesting that he could have taken that stand himself?

there are many ways to manage this, look at oracle? lots of talent there....it is all how you manage that talent. i think they are on a better track when they sign their talent and the jobs are up for grabs....it can be a bit destructive/divisive....but if everyone knows ahead of time, then it is game on.

or do you think that it does not happens in the other teams?

and YES the crew will cry out because they are smart and they know that they are being crippled to a point. sometimes calling for a skipper such in advance is not good, sometimes it is.

we can debate this to death.....but you need depth because on any given day any of these guys can fall....and you will need a plan B.

its good to plan ahead no matter how you look at it...competition can be good as long as the leadership is solid and the players buy in ahead of time.

^

Great points. The common cold has wiped out more than one or two champions in the past... A backup skipper/understudy who can fill the boots when called up is essential.

Terry Hutchinson

7 hours ago

I would like to thank everybody for their encouraging words of support. I am very proud of my tenure as skipper and helmsman of Artemis Racing. On the water I experienced an aspect of our sport that was new, exciting and this challenge culminated in the 2012 ACWS match racing championship. Ashore, I had the opportunity to work with some incredibly smart and talented people. I wish nothing but success for Artemis Racing and I thank Torbjorn Tornqvist for this opportunity.

Cayard could learn something from Hutchinson.

was thinking the same...

Me too...

So perceptive...

Change at Artemis Racing; Percy, Peyron and Outteridge in, Hutchinson out

November 30, 2012

“At this stage, when we’re still trying to understand the limits of the boat, Loïck is the best guy in the world to help us with that. Nathan will sail the boat a bit now and we’ll see where he gets to long term.”

^^

The guys still sound very flat. Loick is the only who is a bit more upbeat.

Interesting to note the wings halfway up the rudder.

The boat does look slow.

But another good piece of videography by whoever's tracking the State of the Art for us. Encouraging also for how willing the guys are to engage us.

^

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like they speeded up the film around the 2.30 mark

Well, the boat certainly speeded up at 2:30! The increased wake and splash, especially around the transoms suggests strongly it was simply faster boat speed.

What interested me was the way the lee hull always seemed to be pressed deep in the water. Never any sense that it was deriving lift from a foil.

Wings on the rudder seem a strange choice... Unless they were ventilating a lot or the pitching of the boat was bad?

Or... they are trying to flatten the rooster tail from the fully immersed transom?

Looked good to me and fast. The rudder foils are interesting but I'm not getting the logic.

I still think that boat will be fast in light conditions, really gets along very nicely with very little drama.

http://t.co/gd7Pig86

--

@nath49er: It was so nice to have a drive of this machine. Hoping we can get some more nice weather so we can get back out on... http://t.co/gd7Pig86

--

What's wrong with the SF Bay weather? Sounds like Auckland, only nicer.

San Francisco Bay Monday December 03 2012 14:32 PST NOAA Forecast

TONIGHT...W WINDS 5 KT...BECOMING SE AFTER MIDNIGHT.

TUE...SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. A CHANCE OF RAIN.

TUE NIGHT...S WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. RAIN LIKELY IN THE EVENING... THEN RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.

WED...S WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. RAIN LIKELY.

WED NIGHT...W WINDS 5 KT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THU...W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT.

FRI...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT.

SAT...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT.

Recreational Marine Forecast: Auckland

Valid to: Midnight Wednesday 5 Dec 2012

Issued: 10:51am Tuesday 4 Dec 2012

Warning: Strong wind advisory in force for Hauraki Gulf and for Bream Head to Cape Colville.

Tuesday: Variable 5 knots. Northeast 15 knots developing this afternoon. Smooth sea becoming slight this afternoon. Poor visibility in a period of afternoon rain, turning to drizzle this evening.

Wednesday: Northeast 15 knots rising to 20 knots early morning and to 25 knots gusting 35 knots late morning, then easing to northwest 15 knots at night. Slight sea becoming moderate early morning and rough late morning then slight again at night. Poor visibility in occasional rain.

Thursday: Becoming northerly 15 knots during the morning, changing westerly 20 knots in the afternoon and rising to 25 knots at night. Rain, easing to showers in the afternoon.

Friday: Westerly rising to 30 knots. Occasional showers.

Saturday: Easing to southwest 10 knots. A few showers.

Looked good to me and fast. The rudder foils are interesting but I'm not getting the logic.

I thought the rudder foils were logical for a semi foiler .. they will work normally on the leeward side and be clear with less drag on the windward side .

^^

The guys still sound very flat. Loick is the only who is a bit more upbeat.

Interesting to note the wings halfway up the rudder.

Outteridge seemed REALLY flat and a bit "squirrely".

I wonder if he is worried about his position on the boat?

My favourite car...

Crude by comparison but this really caught my fancy over the weekend. May just go back and get the dang thing tomorrow, it absolutely oozes HP..

9896js.jpg

My favourite car...

Crude by comparison but this really caught my fancy over the weekend. May just go back and get the dang thing tomorrow, it absolutely oozes HP..

9896js.jpg

Nice one too, black, sleek, with probably more HP. However, humm, I love the Italian beauty.

I'm driving an Audi, as I need the all wheel drive, but, one day ....

My favourite car...

9896js.jpg

Nice one too, black, sleek, with probably more HP. However, humm, I love the Italian beauty.

I'm driving an Audi, as I need the all wheel drive, but, one day ....

All wheel drive? Is that like training wheels?

Well, the boat certainly speeded up at 2:30! The increased wake and splash, especially around the transoms suggests strongly it was simply faster boat speed.
Yes definitely moving pretty well there.

Also the (lack of) freeboard is quite deceptive, 1:00-04 you can see a good healthy ~1.5m freeboard whereas the wider shots seem like there is dangerously little like well under 1m.

Fresh Artemis upload.

Oh boy ... talk about throwing oil on troubled waters.

"No pecking order here."

Why does the boat look like a submarine?

Is it the signwriting?

Encouraging also for how willing the guys are to engage us.

Sorry mate, do not agree.

They are look hurt and chastened.

Absolutely NOT engaging us.

Particularly Percy. Just words.

About nothing.

P.S. At least the post-pitchpole OR videos were reasonably authentic.

http://t.co/gd7Pig86

--

@nath49er: It was so nice to have a drive of this machine. Hoping we can get some more nice weather so we can get back out on... http://t.co/gd7Pig86

--

What's wrong with the SF Bay weather? Sounds like Auckland, only nicer.

San Francisco Bay Monday December 03 2012 14:32 PST NOAA Forecast

TONIGHT...W WINDS 5 KT...BECOMING SE AFTER MIDNIGHT.

TUE...SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. A CHANCE OF RAIN.

TUE NIGHT...S WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. RAIN LIKELY IN THE EVENING... THEN RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.

WED...S WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. RAIN LIKELY.

WED NIGHT...W WINDS 5 KT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THU...W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT.

FRI...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT.

SAT...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT.

Recreational Marine Forecast: Auckland

Valid to: Midnight Wednesday 5 Dec 2012

Issued: 10:51am Tuesday 4 Dec 2012

Warning: Strong wind advisory in force for Hauraki Gulf and for Bream Head to Cape Colville.

Tuesday: Variable 5 knots. Northeast 15 knots developing this afternoon. Smooth sea becoming slight this afternoon. Poor visibility in a period of afternoon rain, turning to drizzle this evening.

Wednesday: Northeast 15 knots rising to 20 knots early morning and to 25 knots gusting 35 knots late morning, then easing to northwest 15 knots at night. Slight sea becoming moderate early morning and rough late morning then slight again at night. Poor visibility in occasional rain.

Thursday: Becoming northerly 15 knots during the morning, changing westerly 20 knots in the afternoon and rising to 25 knots at night. Rain, easing to showers in the afternoon.

Friday: Westerly rising to 30 knots. Occasional showers.

Saturday: Easing to southwest 10 knots. A few showers.

Thats after 3 storms blew through

10712503162235863724.gif

Te Koodie,

They just came out of a major team reorganization but a few days ago - let the dust settle and give Loick and Nathan a bit of time to regroup before trying to draw any major conclusions.

Loick has a tremendous amount of valued experience on top of a very charismatic personality.

They will do well as a team, but you already knew that <_<

My favourite car...

9896js.jpg

Make sure to get the 427 version. I love that commercial with the Vette ripping down the country roads.

edit: also cool watching live in-car during the 24hrs of LeMans

I thought the rudder foils were logical for a semi foiler .. they will work normally on the leeward side and be clear with less drag on the windward side .

=============

You may have a point but it's certainly less of a "semifoiler" with them considering that the mainfoils also develop lift. "Foil assist" on multihulls has usually meant lifting daggerboards and no rudder foils. But this is not "usual" design. The foil looks, at first glance, sort of I-14ish where the idea is to recover some power from the flow off the hull. I'd be surprised if thats the case here. They may be planning on flying a bit higher than was supposed just a little while ago.

=============

You may have a point but it's certainly less of a "semifoiler" with them considering that the mainfoils also develop lift. "Foil assist" on multihulls has usually meant lifting daggerboards and no rudder foils. But this is not "usual" design. The foil looks, at first glance, sort of I-14ish where the idea is to recover some power from the flow off the hull. I'd be surprised if thats the case here. They may be planning on flying a bit higher than was supposed just a little while ago.

Doug

Most smaller cats that allow t's are fitting them. The first 2 at the recent A Class worlds had them. there is a lot of debate as to how big they should be and yes, these do seem bigger than might have been expected. I don't think they are close enough to the bottom of the boat to get energy recovery, but i would expect them to be giving some lift. I think the main purpose is as an anti-nose dive tool and I think they have been positioned so that the windward one is out when flying a hull. Again, the position fo the foils on cats is a subject of much debate, with some fitting them to the bottom of the foil (for instance, Steve Clark) while other fit them like this (Fred and Blunted). I must admit that I was surprised they didn't have these foils from the start, but may be it is all part of the test program, because i don't think they are an after-thought.

I think the “rooster tail” behind the leeward hull has changed, so maybe the foils have something to do with that as well

=============

Doug

Most smaller cats that allow t's are fitting them. The first 2 at the recent A Class worlds had them. there is a lot of debate as to how big they should be and yes, these do seem bigger than might have been expected. I don't think they are close enough to the bottom of the boat to get energy recovery, but i would expect them to be giving some lift. I think the main purpose is as an anti-nose dive tool and I think they have been positioned so that the windward one is out when flying a hull. Again, the position fo the foils on cats is a subject of much debate, with some fitting them to the bottom of the foil (for instance, Steve Clark) while other fit them like this (Fred and Blunted). I must admit that I was surprised they didn't have these foils from the start, but may be it is all part of the test program, because i don't think they are an after-thought.

I think the “rooster tail” behind the leeward hull has changed, so maybe the foils have something to do with that as well

---------------------------

I basically agree Simon except I have a hunch that they may be planning to fly a little higher than first thought. I haven't noticed that the lee hull seemed to be any higher than it would if it had no foil assist-as if they hadn't "turned it on" yet.

they are under the hammer. Do you think you would be upbeat if the skipper for last 18 months was shit canned?

Percy sounds like he is the engine behind it, seeing the chemistry between the talent in outtridge (and he is a freak, whether it be AC45 races on team what the fark or in moths) and peyron, the old master.

Good luck to them, hopefully the boat lifts its skirts soon and we see what she's got.

**Ninja edit** In a video of course!!

post-41620-0-29904600-1354632109_thumb.jpg

Freeze frame of what may be the best view of this rudder so far.

Does it look like a surprising amount of water draining from the flying hull?

St Francis YC (was it that club?) was there on Saturday, they are also mentioned and photo'd on the Artemis Facebook. You can see a group of them behind SL at :22 in the video. Maybe there are some other photos out there of the foils, from during launch or liftout.

Yes, the hulls look well immersed but: Would it be that big a surprise if when the mains are set just right (or wrong..) and if the conditions get perfect for it, that the hull lifts out completely?

011.jpg

Canaan, of course. Alinghi 5 very briefly tried on one hull, too.

qsw8eu.jpgNo sailing today.

My favourite car...

Better:

post-16422-0-58911300-1354633292_thumb.jpg

A C6 from about the same hind quarter angle. One of the many ridiculous things about Vettes is the $$/HP ratio as compared to other cars in that performance category.

hpe700-corvette-grand-sport-04s-623x414.gif

Plus, they're just fun! Okay, Vette hijack over :)

post-41620-0-29904600-1354632109_thumb.jpg

Freeze frame of what may be the best view of this rudder so far.

Does it look like a surprising amount of water draining from the flying hull?

St Francis YC (was it that club?) was there on Saturday, they are also mentioned and photo'd on the Artemis Facebook. You can see a group of them behind SL at :22 in the video. Maybe there are some other photos out there of the foils, from during launch or liftout.

Yes, the hulls look well immersed but: Would it be that big a surprise if when the mains are set just right (or wrong..) and if the conditions get perfect for it, that the hull lifts out completely?

-------------------------

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the thing flies 100%. I'm thinking that the main foil appears to have plenty of lifting surface at enough angle to generate substantial lift(or none at all vertically, only horizontally-adjustable). If it was to fly- even just a little- it would need pitch control from the rudder foils.

I hope they fly!

It's a replica of the 1965 289 roadster. The car is constructed by Kirkham. Final assembly - engine, transmission, interior, paint, etc.- will be completed by David Wagner. David took the photo on the cars arrival at his shop in Michigan. The color will be a close approximation of the dark maroon metallic AC cars used in the fifties and early sixties. AC named the color 'Rouge Iris'; the color I have selected is dark maroon pearl.

The engine is a 302 Ford with assembly by Roush. The dyno showed 340 horsepower at the crank. Total weight, less driver and fuel, will be roughly 2,200 pounds. The 427 Corvette has nearly double the horsepower pushing at least 3,700 pounds.

The suspension is similar to that of the big block cars: double a-arms with coil springs and shocks. The original 427 design has been re-engineered by the Kirkhams to reduce unsprung weight by twenty pounds at each corner. Owners tell me their car out-handles a Mazda Miata with no surprises, even at the limit. Still, installing a roll bar is prudent choice.

The twin tube chassis is far stiffer than the original. There'll be no shaking at the corners of this hot rod, even with one wheel off the ground...

The engine is a 302 Ford with assembly by Roush.

In the midst of boat engine traumas I got to know a couple of blokes in a Ford wrecking yard near here.

Bought some heads and other things. Was going out the door and noticed a pair of polished aluminiun rocker covers.

With flames and "Ford Racing" engraved on the top.

Fit a 302 and 351 (Windsor) head.

Were being sold on consignment on behalf of "Rory" who wanted $100 for the pair.

I offered $50 but Mr. Nice Guy said they belonged to Rory, not him. No bargaining! This is not China.

Just a few days earlier, I had bought chrome-plated (but rust-vulnerable) tin rocker covers.

More for a joke than anything else. And to impress my brother.

Anyway, I will sooon remove the chrome and put on the Ford Racing covers.

If you saw my fairly bashed-up workboat cum tug, you would see the humour of having flash OTT (redneck) rocker covers.

Maybe you need them more than me? They definitely fit the 302. How about $500?

Each!