Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah0809

Artemis?

Vsail.info tweeted "Any truth to the rumor Artemis Racing is facing a civil war between Argentineans and Anglo-Saxons?"

Argentineans, I think:

- JK : chief designer

- Santi Lange: coordinator design and sailing

- Gonzalo K : head of prediction

- Rodrigo Quesada: head of construction

- Rodrigo Azcueta: head of CFD

- etc..

Designers vs sailors ?

Vsail.info tweeted "Any truth to the rumor Artemis Racing is facing a civil war between Argentineans and Anglo-Saxons?"

Argentineans, I think:

- JK : chief designer

- Santi Lange: coordinator design and sailing

- Gonzalo K : head of prediction

- Rodrigo Quesada: head of construction

- Rodrigo Azcueta: head of CFD

- etc..

Designers vs sailors ?

I would like to think that sailors are above the politics of their countries.

[

TC, do you have or do you know where I can find a link where JK says that Artemis is not designed as a foiler? I missed it...

In fact coming from Insider, post 177 in "Hutch Out ????"

Not a sure source as coming from an SA poster, but seems credible and aligned with what we have seen of the present boat:

"To quote JK just after the 72 rule was released (as it was told to me): "This race will not be won by a foiling boat"

Now you would assume that someone who places as much stock in CFD as JK does would be basing this statement on the outcomes of his CFD analysis.

Obviously he may not have spotted the legal loophole that ETNZ did! Which is fairly ironic given his past form. "

--------------------

Sounds like creative disinformation-JK is too smart not to realize the potential of foils. I wouldn't put much stock in that quote if that is the only basis for saying "Artemis is not designed to foil".

Thanks for the info.

Doug,

From Artemis's submission to the Jury

AR further submitted they have spent two years researching and designing their

AC72 Yacht based on the volume limits depicted in CR 1.4(k) and the removal of

such limits “renders much of that work meaningless, and sways the balance of

foiling vs non-foiling in the favor of the foiling solution.” AR also claimed “this

Amendment unnecessarily favors the interest of one competitor.”

I think it is fairly obvious from the foil shape and the initial lack of 'T' rudders that Artemis #1 was designed as foil-assisted as opposed to full foiling.

---------------------

Thanks. Very interesting.

Crude by comparison but this really caught my fancy over the weekend. May just go back and get the dang thing tomorrow, it absolutely oozes HP..]

Make sure to get the 427 version. I love that commercial with the Vette ripping down the country roads.

edit: also cool watching live in-car during the 24hrs of LeMans

Saw a liitle of that too.

In case you were curious, picked up a 6.2L version. Nicer than the photo'd one above but also a roadster, triple black.

The 427's are just a touch too terrible unless you're a serious tracker.

Love the Vette too (you know that), but this is what makes my heart beat extremely fast (and I'm not telling you whether the real toy is on the right or on the left side of the pic):

post-20594-0-09926800-1354724860_thumb.jpg

I remember one of the 505s running a dolly into the fender of one of those old Astons next to the dinghy ramp at the HPDO one year. Nicest paint I have ever seen, except the dent of course. It was red.

Crude by comparison but this really caught my fancy over the weekend. May just go back and get the dang thing tomorrow, it absolutely oozes HP..]

Make sure to get the 427 version. I love that commercial with the Vette ripping down the country roads.

In case you were curious, picked up a 6.2L version. Nicer than the photo'd one above but also a roadster, triple black.

Love the Vette too (you know that), but this is what makes my heart beat extremely fast (and I'm not telling you whether the real toy is on the right or on the left side of the pic):

See yours and raise you mine: (....and I am a tractor lover... cars like this should be R Rated)

2009-aston-martin-one-77-7_600x0w.jpg

Would it be that surprising for Juan K's services to be terminated?
Extremely. They desperately need a new boat with lessons from this first one.

There is no time for a new designer to get up to speed.

He may have trouble finding another multihull contract later though.

I really don't understand why they didn't at least try out a sub-scale version.

Ok, so, I enjoyed the last clip Artemis released. I would go as far as saying, I like the Artemis AC72. It is designed by one of the best design houses. It has the best sailors in the world aboard. It is in the middle of the road in volume, and rocker. I like that it is not a standard 50:50 wing.

But, the boat is still in the very first stages of sea trials. It will take them a while to work up to sending it. This does not mean, they won't figure it out. When others see a crew despondent, and nervous, I see a crew concentrating on sailing.

A shame they went down some blind alleys, with the tri, and arguably TH (performance aside, I don't like sailing with shouty skippers either), but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The game is still very new.

Foiling looks very cool, but nobody has yet shown, that a foiling racing cat is faster round a course than a racing cat. At the current state of technology.

So, give the new staff a chance to bed in, see what they come up with, and remember, Nobody will know if they are slow, until they actually race the damn boats.

I really don't understand why they didn't at least try out a sub-scale version.

Considering how low it appears to sit in the water some would say they already have a "sub" scale version :P

Would it be that surprising for Juan K's services to be terminated?

Yes, because he has created a VERY fast boat. Just wait and see !

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

No, seriously - how hard is it to take photos in SF? Surely with a population of NZ in one city, you guys can find a keen AC fan who has time off during the day to take some shots?

(Other than Monster Mash - whose work here is not under question!)

Big Red was back by 3pm.

Timmed wing removal and hull recovery at just a tad under 40 minutes.

Crews seems a lot more upbeat.

145iee.jpgWell this looks different.

I'm guessing a better mousetrap for keeping loads on the hulls without the wing.

if they need a dolphin striker of that size just to pick it up

that must be very concerned about the strength of that main beam...

^^

Should the rudders be like that?

It's faster but you're probably too dumb to know it.

We used to do it all the time like that in the 'A's.

It's better than that 15 year old shit ETNZ does anyway

Do you sail?

Blunted hasn't contradicted me so I am right! :o

^^

Do you sail?

40 years ago a paper tiger cat,

but now only a laser on nice sunny days

or 6m bilge keeler with the grandkids.

I was like WTF :wacko:/> then huh :huh:/> then back to WTF :unsure:/>

My words exactly :)

The rudders are OK - I am guessing they disconnect the cross-link so it doesn't bind or get in the way.

The temporary dolphin(*) striker however, seems way-arse-about-backwards to me.

How the fuck does that work? If it can't handle being lifted, how the hell does it hold the rig up?!!

Loads go the other direction guys...

* = dolphins don't swim that deep. I think this should be referred to as the 'Mariana Trench' striker.

Loads go that way too. It just looks odd because they normally do it by lifting not pushing up.

But its under the bowsprit, about halfway out...

I just can't figure it out - must be tired.

Can't someone draw a diagram with arrows so we can visualize what's going on?

My guess is it's there to support the weight of the bowsprit, the angles of the 'normal' dolphin striker would not work for that. Under normal circumstances, the sprit would be lifted by the forestay

The stays are pulling the pole up which keeps the bowsprit up.

Same same?

GG12-SFOSEP-01220.jpg

^^

Do you sail?

I wasn't getting at you - I was taking the piss out of a 'typical' reply. I guess should have added a... [/sarcasm]

Same same?
is basically the opposite

It does the exact same job, it does'nt matter wheter you push the car from the rear side or pull it from the front side, it moves in the same direction. OR17 pulls up the sprit from above, ARTEMIS push it up from below - actually a much smarter solution as you dont need the large rigid beam, just a small strut and ropes/stays.

What is the (reasoning behind) the difference between the T foils on bottom of rudder on Oracle rather than 1/2 way down?

Sail safe!

Heres a good analysis(see pdf). The rudder foil is arranged like that on International 14s and National 12 dinghies primarily to try to recover energy from the flow coming off the bottom at the transom. Whether that rationale holds water with a highL/B multi hull is an open question.

T-foil rudders.pdf

What is the (reasoning behind) the difference between the T foils on bottom of rudder on Oracle rather than 1/2 way down?

Sail safe!

If your T-foil on the rudder is on the bottom, there is a good bet that you are doing that as part of a full foiling package, and you want maximum immersion possible when its doing work. Having the stabilizer come out of the water at speed, when up on foils, looks messy.

With your T-foil half way up the rudder, it's highly likely that the goal is simply pitch stabilization and not full flight. This way you get the horizontal foil out of the water to windward, when going upwind in particular, so you lose a bit of parasitic drag that you would likely have to endure with a T-foil at the bottom of the rudder. Flying the hull higher upwind to get the rudder out of the water is a very poor trade off. Moving the foil up the rudder is easier to do.

Heres a good analysis(see pdf). The rudder foil is arranged like that on International 14s and National 12 dinghies primarily to try to recover energy from the flow coming off the bottom at the transom. Whether that rationale holds water with a highL/B multi hull is an open question.

energy recovery systems are predicated on the foil being behind the displacement body. So the Artemis foil is probably not for that purpose, nor could they be due to the location of rudder rules.

So while it is interesting stuff, I am pretty sure it's not what is going on with AR.

B, I've been wondering if "energy recovery" is not part of the equation does splitting the rudder in two still add up from a drag standpoint? If the t-foil was on the bottom wouldn't rudder effectiveness be improved with the foil acting as an endplate for the whole rudder?

The rudders are OK - I am guessing they disconnect the cross-link so it doesn't bind or get in the way.

The temporary dolphin(*) striker however, seems way-arse-about-backwards to me.

How the fuck does that work? If it can't handle being lifted, how the hell does it hold the rig up?!!

Loads go the other direction guys...

* = dolphins don't swim that deep. I think this should be referred to as the 'Mariana Trench' striker.

Thanks Rohanoz

B, I've been wondering if "energy recovery" is not part of the equation does splitting the rudder in two still add up from a drag standpoint? If the t-foil was on the bottom wouldn't rudder effectiveness be improved with the foil acting as an endplate for the whole rudder?

In theory, sure, it should make the whole rudder work slightly better, less induced drag and all of that. But it still bugs the shit out of the helm when its slapping the wave tops going upwind jerking the helm around etc. That is worse than any upside when its in the water working as designed. At least that is my personal opinion.

That's why mine are on the bottom of a very deep rudder.

If you size the foils counting on only one working at time each is pretty big and you hate life if you can't fly the weather one clear.

they are also down in the deep and can work harder not being as near the surface. Or at least that's my story....

Once again, the fly/ no fly question isn't binary ( for catamarans at least) and there is an acre of possibilities in between the two.

SHC

See yours and raise you mine: (....and I am a tractor lover... cars like this should be R Rated)

2009-aston-martin-one-77-7_600x0w.jpg

Y'all are high on marketing. These cars are all trailer queens - Maseratis, Aston Martins. Maybe not the Vette. I followed a new Aston into the garage at work a year ago and watched it empty all its transmission oil onto the floor as we drove - not fast. Maseratis are in the shop constantly. It's like some kind of income-correlated joke.

^

You're absolutely right... But the looks, oh, the looks!

Something like this should make your heart race, pure, raw horsepower, and none of those gimmicks like computers, traction control, etc:

post-14813-0-50878200-1354974176_thumb.jpg

OK, final word, back to the AC.......................

I'm not telling you whether the real toy is on the right or on the left side of the pic):

You can have both isn't it ?

We call that "avoir le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le cul de la laitière (ou du laitier)" :rolleyes:

^^

Do you sail?

Blunted hasn't contradicted me so I am right! :o/>

I wasn't getting at you - I was taking the piss out of a 'typical' reply. I guess should have added a... [/sarcasm]

I think everyone else got it. I certainly had a laugh!

I think everyone else got it. I certainly had a laugh!

I'll get used to it,

and harden up.

2a8hn9c.jpg

Back to your scheduled programming

That wing looks good in the setting sun light.

SHC are they barking up the wrong tree?

It looks a tad too complicated to the untrained eye.

Is it just me, or does the back of that wing look more like these air brakes - where extra drag is a good thing!

TAFV15P13_18.jpg

Rather than like these flaps - designed to create extra lift??

P1000600.jpg

2a8hn9c.jpg

Is it just me, or does the back of that wing look more like these air brakes - where extra drag is a good thing!

TAFV15P13_18.jpg

Rather than like these flaps - designed to create extra lift??

P1000600.jpg

Both pictures show the same arrangement, with spoilers actuated or not

In aeronautics, a spoiler (sometimes called a lift dumper) is a device intended to reduce lift in an aircraft. Spoilers are plates on the top surface of a wing which can be extended upward into the airflow and spoil it. By doing so, the spoiler creates a carefully controlled stall over the portion of the wing behind it, greatly reducing the lift of that wing section. Spoilers differ from airbrakes in that airbrakes are designed to increase drag making little change to lift, while spoilers reduce lift as well as increasing drag.

Spoilers fall into two categories: relatively small spoilers that are deployed at controlled angles during flight to increase descent rate, and much larger spoilers that are fully deployed immediately on landing to greatly reduce lift ("lift dumpers") and increase drag.

Thing is, when the spoiler is not actuated and the flap(s) extended, a nice slot is formed - but this of course works in one direction only.

What still stumps me on the AR wing is the lead element's got a thick/blunt trailing edge: if the following intermediate flap is indeed blown, how on earth is the slot formed in both directions/tacks?

So the unfair gaps between the flap sections in the AR wing, like those of the spoilers^^, does not induce ungodly amounts of drag compared to the smooth transitions, more typical for flaps^, of LR/ETNZ?

You'll need to post perfect photos of your 'thick edge' and a 'normal edge' - before it can be discussed! :P

800px-Flaps_Mechanism_B787_A320.png

amdw6u.jpg

If you look at the left (trailing) side of the transparent window, you'll see how thick it is.

gallery_37203_613_354489.jpg

As an aside, compare the extent of composite leading edge in the two pictures

How did nobody notice that before :huh:

I still don't really understand what they are doing with the flap there.

I guess it must be a plain flap not a double slot but the details are so weird: namely the unfaired leading edge of it which seems to allow air into the joint.

At first I thought it might be a split flap or maybe a Bethwaite (? I think) style Y slot but the rear pics show it comes to a solid point.

Some of the pics I think show they have the white membrane stuff in the gaps but deep in the gaps seems an inefficient place for it.

^^

First picture is of the original wing yes?

Second picture is of the repaired wing or is it the second wing?

Another insider reported here that thay had the second wing on site.

Btw I've had a couple of good looks inside the hanger and there are not 2 complete AC72 wings inside.

MM, next time you manage to get near wing bottom, see if you can take a picture more toward the front, i.e. including wing step. Hopefully it should be something like this:

DSC_7621_1.JPG

where the round spar end rotating inside the boom box is clearly visible (dial included!), confirming lead element twist

24npv9v.jpgThere is this guy but its the AC454 wing.

You can see how it dwarfs the hanger, it would be impossble to miss another AC72 wing in there.

I asked if it was a 2nd wing behind the heaters in that pic.

It didn't seem clear if that was looking in before they trundled it out or if that was a sneaky shot of a 2nd wing while they were openly raising the wing & your answer wasn't clear so someone may have interpreted that as evidence of a 2nd.

I asked if it was a 2nd wing behind the heaters in that pic.

It didn't seem clear if that was looking in before they trundled it out or if that was a sneaky shot of a 2nd wing while they were openly raising the wing & your answer wasn't clear so someone may have interpreted that as evidence of a 2nd.

It wan't you. It was jbird , tbird or Alpina or something like that. I tried a search but came up empty. He started posting about the time Artemis showed up at Pier 80. All of his information was spot on.

Is that pic the wing they've been using though?

Which pic?

^^

From J-BIRD post 1184. Sept 24, 2012

The first wing was severely trashed and they have just finished repairing it. It should be up soon.

The 2nd wing is being assembled in Alameda. Most of the parts were built in Valencia and sent over for assembly. Still a bit to go on that

I'd be saying no lead element twist by this pic - but hard to get it high enough res to be sure...

post-1974-0-79413800-1355111807.png

From J-BIRD post 1184

The 2nd wing is being assembled in Alameda

OK yeah I think that must have been why I asked.

Which pic?
The one with the wing behind the heaters. Kind of looks tucked away up the back behind a stack of stuff.

From J-BIRD post 1184

The 2nd wing is being assembled in Alameda

OK yeah I think that must have been why I asked.

Which pic?
The one with the wing behind the heaters. Kind of looks tucked away up the back behind a stack of stuff.

Yes, thats the wing they are using now.

The blue and grey corragated things to the right are containers and the big white drop curtin seperates the shop from the sail loft which btw is f''ing huge.

amdw6u.jpg

If you look at the left (trailing) side of the transparent window, you'll see how thick it is.

gallery_37203_613_354489.jpg

(edit)

Definitely not the same wing (the lighting holes in the frames are different shapes). Where is the first shot taken from? Are we even looking at the same team?

Looking at how they are putting the wing up it is readily apparent they have never done it in strong let alone moderate winds.

Ask the LR boys how much these kick and buck in the wind, braking a shin bone with ease.

I saw the ETNZ wing bucking and rearing violently in the wind.

These guys need to get their systems sorted out before some one gets hurt. Not enough restraining lines and too many guys close to the wing foot.

Definitely not the same wing (the lighting holes in the frames are different shapes). Where is the first shot taken from? Are we even looking at the same team?

It depends on what you mean by the same wing! The frames don't count towards anything in measurement so they could have replaced them with new frames with diffrent cut outs and it could still be the first wing. I can see this still being the first wing despite the obvious changes. I suspect that while we see the nmoulded carbon front section looking so much bigger in the original, the cut out at the bottom to the same width as the "new" wing suggests to me that maybe just the front bot is the structural spar but the moulding was carried further back. Maybe in repairing it the needed to save weight, so cut back that moulded but and instead they are using shrink wrap like the rest of the wing.

The patches make me suspect it is the repaired No1 wing.

Looking at how they are putting the wing up it is readily apparent they have never done it in strong let alone moderate winds.

Ask the LR boys how much these kick and buck in the wind, braking a shin bone with ease.

I saw the ETNZ wing bucking and rearing violently in the wind.

These guys need to get their systems sorted out before some one gets hurt. Not enough restraining lines and too many guys close to the wing foot.

Maybe so, but they are using the Paul Bieker counterweight (aluminum tank ahead of wing bottom, larger version of what's being used on AC45s) which is supposed to stabilize the thing

The first shot is a screengrab from CNN´s Mainsail with Shirley Robertson during a visit of Artemis´ Valencia base.

15yu4hs.jpgNot what you're after but this shot almost cost me my camera.

Understandable - I would imagine Grants was less than ecstatic at the release of the LR wing base picture

Maybe in repairing it the needed to save weight, so cut back that moulded but and instead they are using shrink wrap like the rest of the wing.
I think its something like this yeah.

Looking at the old pics of the wing on ORMA they did have that extended moulding back then.

Cut-out in the bottom frame looks same to me.

The first shot is a screengrab from CNN´s Mainsail with Shirley Robertson during a visit of Artemis´ Valencia base.
I think it was even before they went out with it on the ORMA so probably while under construction -> first public shot of an AC72 wing.

Maybe so, but they are using the Paul Bieker counterweight (aluminum tank ahead of wing bottom, larger version of what's being used on AC45s) which is supposed to stabilize the thing
Yes but LR wing dragged around at least one 1000kg concrete block & they use 4 of them in the lifting operation so probably dragged several.

If that wing gets rowdy the only thing holding it in any way is the (quite small) Bieker weight & the rope to the crane.

Apart from more restraining lines, what can be done?

This could be Larry's secret weapon.

During adverse SF weather (in the LVC), LE keeps his own stuff locked inside.

While challengers face the daily challenge of fighting to get the wing up.

Apart from more restraining lines, what can be done?

This could be Larry's secret weapon.

During adverse SF weather (in the LVC), LE keeps his own stuff locked inside.

While challengers face the daily challenge of fighting to get the wing up.

Agreed, the only thing they can do is "feather" the wing much the same way as a wind turbine feathers once the wind gets too strong.

However, this only works as long as the wind comes from a constant direction. As soon as the wind changes direction, then the wing will power up to some extent.

I think to some degree the potential carnage during the LVC could be Larry's biggest advantage.

Although, have they released the race schedule for the LVC yet? It still can't be 3 months now that we only have 3 competitors can it?

I love watching AC, but this would bore the shit out of me even!

I think you're looking at the changes the made after breaking the wing. Photo standing the wing is as designed and built, photo in shed is repaired wing with a bigger stronger leading edge.

3vvr8.jpgGoing up the mast to remove the weather wands

Does anyone know what the purpose of the backward c shapes are on the mainwing behind the thick point?

I think you're looking at the changes the made after breaking the wing. Photo standing the wing is as designed and built, photo in shed is repaired wing with a bigger stronger leading edge.

No the photo in the 'shed' - leading edge down, with the wider black band is very old. No idea which thread it was first posted on, but it predates any launch, sailing shots by month/s

KSSS Vice Commodore Visits Artemis Racing

Published on Dec 10, 2012

Last week we had the pleasure of hosting the Vice Commodore of our host yacht club, the KSSS. Bjorn Unger has a great sailing background and was involved in the America's Cup with the 12meter class. Having Bjorn here was a chance for him to understand the magnitude of today's America's Cup and to share with Sweden the excitement. Back in October we had six of the best youth sailors to come out of the KSSS integrated into our daily lives for a week. Sweden will also have a youth team in the Redbull Youth America's Cup next summer, which will be proudly supported by the Artemis Racing family.

Vsail.info Artemis wing pic:

DSC_1659_1.JPG

Actually you're right, here's the wing when first rigged on the tri.

KSSS Vice Commodore Visits Artemis Racing

Published Published on Dec 10, 2012

Last week we had the pleasure of hosting the Vice Commodore of our host yacht club, the KSSS. Bjorn Unger has a great sailing background and was involved in the America's Cup with the 12meter class. Having Bjorn here was a chance for him to understand the magnitude of today's America's Cup and to share with Sweden the excitement. Back in October we had six of the best youth sailors to come out of the KSSS integrated into our daily lives for a week. Sweden will also have a youth team in the Redbull Youth America's Cup next summer, which will be proudly supported by the Artemis Racing family.

==================

Thanks for that!

To my untrained eye Artemis looks a little like Alinghi (except for the wing), and less bouncy.

Has anyone seen ore heard of a foiling Artemis ??????

We've had more credible information on AR foiling than OR's AC45.

3vvr8.jpgGoing up the mast to remove the weather wands

Does anyone know what the purpose of the backward c shapes are on the mainwing behind the thick point?

They are so they can get in to inspect the forestay and 0 ram and halyard. If you get a photo etnz's wing on day 1 or two and a photo of it now you will see many different access windows have been cut

I noticed a big change in the size of the top element tho. I wouldn't,t be surprised if there 2nd wing is a straight forward two element wing

2a8hn9c.jpg

Back to your scheduled programming

That wing looks good in the setting sun light.

SHC are they barking up the wrong tree?

It looks a tad too complicated to the untrained eye.

The segmented trailing edge is a function of having the flap hinges not in a straight line. You play that game to tune the span-wise lift distribution. USA 17 and the AC45 wings do he same thing. There is some interesting stuff happening with the #2 or intermediate flap. I'm not really sure I ave seen enough in the pictures to figure out exactly what is going on. The big question is whether these wings really have to operate at high lift, or whether they are so juiced up by the enormous sail area of the gennakers down wind that being clean is more important than being powerful.

At present it looks like Artemis will be happy to go deeper and slightly slower than ETNZ and Luna Rosa. This will make them hard to defend against on the runs, and given the narrow race track, could rule the day. Deep= less gybes= less down speed time. Also gives them control of the inside of the course.

SHC

^^

Thanks there is a lot for me to think about there.

Do you think it gives them more control over the centre of effort than ETNZ/LR?

There might be small changes to the boat going on, or worse.

Thursday they came back in early

Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues no sailing.

Weather has not been a factor.

By my count only 7 days of sailing so far.