• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
sarah0809

Artemis?

Big Red went sailing today, not letting any moss grow on the bottom of B1.

BTW for those not familiar thats W1 in the background.

^

I still give these guys no chance, but what makes you think the boat is more trim? Its quite hard to see through all the plastic & packing.

From the shape of the bows, it does however look like they might be set up more for wave piercing than before.

Looks finer in the bows and that topsides chine thingy has gone. Quite a bit less hull rocker overall and there's a hint of that reverse rocker thing going on in the bow sections and quite a bit more cutaway. Less volume too maybe, but can't see that under wraps.

From a previous shot the sterns look very similar. I think the faring from AR1 was supposed to transfer to boat 2, so that would make sense. I'd say maybe a bit less freeboard all round too.

Be interesting to see how far back the board cases are placed, when she's unvailed.

^

I still give these guys no chance, but what makes you think the boat is more trim? Its quite hard to see through all the plastic & packing.

From the shape of the bows, it does however look like they might be set up more for wave piercing than before.

Looks finer in the bows and that topsides chine thingy has gone. Quite a bit less hull rocker overall and there's a hint of that reverse rocker thing going on in the bow sections and quite a bit more cutaway. Less volume too maybe, but can't see that under wraps.

From a previous shot the sterns look very similar. I think the faring from AR1 was supposed to transfer to boat 2, so that would make sense. I'd say maybe a bit less freeboard all round too.

Be interesting to see how far back the board cases are placed, when she's unvailed.

Just to interpolate away some of the shrink-wrap outline. I'm wondering if we are also seeing boxy board cases here, to maximize outboard adjustment of canting foils (hence the extra lines)

post-42312-0-31530400-1368061480_thumb.jpg

which hull is which?

Look to me to be outsides in, together. That is the hull nearest in pic is starboard hull. Seemingly low freeboard in crew station would seem to support that, maybe?

Remember the transverse hull forms need to be basically symmetrical about the centreline?

Fun guessing through plastic - but sort of like deciding you are getting Han Solo inside the Xmas wrapping, and it turns out to be Lando.

I don't think you will need to wait long. My guess is that it would already be unwrapped and sitting in position ready for final fitting.

PS - one more speculation. Looks like it has wheel steering now instead of tillers.

Remember the transverse hull forms need to be basically symmetrical about the centreline?

Fun guessing through plastic - but sort of like deciding you are getting Han Solo inside the Xmas wrapping, and it turns out to be Lando.

I don't think you will need to wait long. My guess is that it would already be unwrapped and sitting in position ready for final fitting.

PS - one more speculation. Looks like it has wheel steering now instead of tillers.

Jeez. That would be dissapointing, Rohan. Let's hope AR2 doesn't dissapoint. Don't think Juan K would survive two AC72 dogs in one regatta.

If that's a wheel back there behind the pedestals it's really sharply angled.

(Stb hull closest to camera then also, as stated)

Where's this blue by the way?

So they have 24 hours to put it together?? ;)

Wow...Royal Blue!

But praying to her - come on!

BJ1iqubCAAIDDsC.jpgbig https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJ1iqubCAAIDDsC.jpg:large

Love that paint job and colour. Lots of deck cutaway there. She looks pretty streamlined.

What the hell is going on?

I just got this:

Sail Revolution

BREAKING: Artemis AC 72 capsize. At this time, not all sailors are accounted for. We will bring you details as we get them.

starboard hull of boat one broken, bow still visible under the port hull - wing still seems to be substantially in one piece...

but horrible scenes from the dock...

before the video cut out you could see a group of EMTs giving CPR to a man on the St Francis YC dock, a big Artemis RIB was docked right there, ambulances and fire truck present.

starboard hull of boat one broken, bow still visible under the port hull - wing still seems to be substantially in one piece...

but horrible scenes from the dock...

Based on what I could see right before the feed cut out I would say the wing is in shambles. I'm purely speculating but given that the stbd hull was broken off near the aft beam I'm guessing the main beam failed and the boat tore itself apart...wouldn't be a terrible surprise given the issues they had with their main beam early on.

More importantly, we should pray for the crewmember lying on the dock near St. Francis YC. I hope everyone makes it through unscathed.

Not to speculate either but the starboard foil is missing. I wonder if it failed and a wicked PP was the result. Man I hope the crew are good but it didn't look good.

Not to speculate either but the starboard foil is missing. I wonder if it failed and a wicked PP was the result. Man I hope the crew are good but it didn't look good.

omg! just saw the news now. is the guy undergoing cpr ok? :(

do we know anything else?

and how the hell can they televise cpr?

Screen cap from The Other Place, from shortly before the video cut out, right around 1330 PDT.

I saw vigorous CPR being given, and then a couple of minutes they tried again.

11524447383471463753.jpg

Is the video still working for anyone? I can't get anything out of it.

Live feed stopped working ~ 10 minutes ago. situation on the dock looked dire.

the tip of the sb foil is quite clearly visible in the upturned hull...

the tip of the sb foil is quite clearly visible in the upturned hull...

That's the board, not the foil. The foil is missing off the tip of the board.

It looks like the foil is still there, it's just up. Horrible news.

Looks like massive platform failure. Port hull resting under the starboard one.

Thoughts and prayers to the entire crew, especially those injured.

The initial post on the front page... And the current edited one... Not cool given the severity of the incident...

Agreed.

heard pitchpole? main beam snapped on impact?

god speed to the injured and missing

Has anyone read Clean's front page on this?

Pretty fucking ordinary really, even in the absence of injury/possible death.

Lift your game Clean :angry:

I think we need to be prepared for very bad news. Local news station reporting CPR has not been successfull.

Hope they're wrong. This is just terrible

KGO radio reports a US Coast Guard confirmation of one fatality in the Artemis capsize. The rest of the crew has been treated and released. Absolutely tragic news for the team, the America's Cup, and sailors around the world. Our hearts and prayers go out to the team and the AC family in San Fran. http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/citadel/?sid=586

direct quote from Sailing World Mag. facebook feed.

This event (and perhaps tragic and unnecessary death) was inevitable. There is no pitch restoring moment and there is positive feedback (from the aerodynamic forces developed from the rotating wing mast) when the vessel starts to pitch. It has been clear, long before the first capsize/pitchpole, that all these vessels are inherently unstable in pitch, as designed. The only counteracting moment comes from moving crew weight.

I have long predicted that the Cup will be cancelled due to this instability in pitch.