Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah0809

Artemis?

I figure there's an excellent chance we will see Big Blue in the (probably tow-around) AC72 parade this week during opening festivities.

Looking forward to that, hope it happens. Who knows? That boat might rock too.

Tow around. What a fucking joke.

What are they parading circus elephants or something?

They have wings, they have crews. The public want to see them do what they are built to do. SAIL AND RACE!

^

--

For the parade the AC72 race boats will be under tow alongside their tenders, but with racing in the Louis Vuitton Cup, Americas Cup Challenger Series, scheduled to start on Sunday, July 7, Fridays ceremony along the city front provides a great opportunity to get an up-close look at the AC72s.

--

^

--

For the parade the AC72 race boats will be under tow alongside their tenders,

--

Ah ah ah, that is hillarious.... :lol:

Maybe AR will request a decision from the IJ that they can race that way too?

It can get worse.

Some are saying it will be the teams AC45s in tow.

Ah ah ah...Do you think the CG will agree ? no special permit for that, isn't it ? :lol:

It can get worse.

Really???

They should sail the AC45s at least

It can get worse.

Ah ah ah...Do you think the CG will agree ? no special permit for that, isn't it ? :lol:

the 45's are not DoG compliant.................... :o

^

--

--

So the bestistest sailors in the fastestest boats need mommy boats, a tow, and their names written in their underwear? Actually, I feel sorry for the sailors who are the victims of this clownishness.

Next up: TE explains why towing is actually necessary and cool.

^

--

--

So the bestistest sailors in the fastestest boats need mommy boats, a tow, and their names written in their underwear? Actually, I feel sorry for the sailors who are the victims of this clownishness.

I would really like to see a photo of Larry presiding the ceremony with the mayor and 4 towed AC45 in the background..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not saying the above is true but Luna Rossa is assembling their AC45 in Alameda as we speak, OR had one of theirs on the hook today and Artemis splashed one of theirs this morning. There was also one in front of the TNZ compound today but not sure whos' it was.

And there does seem to be a bit of a tiff between a couple of teams and the ACM people.

Rudders have nothing to do with PP...

Tell that to the narrow moth sailors, rudder T-foils were what made them sailable downwind. Otherwise...pitchpole

^

--

--

I would really like to see a photo of Larry presiding the ceremony with the mayor and 4 towed AC45 in the background..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

assboat.jpg

Tell that to the narrow moth sailors, rudder T-foils were what made them sailable downwind. Otherwise...pitchpole

Correct, but please read above posts...

Not saying the above is true but Luna Rossa is assembling their AC45 in Alameda as we speak, OR had one of theirs on the hook today and Artemis splashed one of theirs this morning. There was also one in front of the TNZ compound today but not sure whos' it was.

And there does seem to be a bit of a tiff between a couple of teams and the ACM people.

Actually, why not? Towing three 72s and a 45 is as pointless as towing four 45s. 95% of the people won't notice. Just tell em it's Nascar on the water, without the noise. No need to put the big boat in the water and risk a towing accident.

Read them...and your point was that T-foils have nothing to do with preventing pitchpoles, which they quite clearly do...

^

--

For the parade the AC72 race boats will be under tow alongside their tenders, but with racing in the Louis Vuitton Cup, Americas Cup Challenger Series, scheduled to start on Sunday, July 7, Fridays ceremony along the city front provides a great opportunity to get an up-close look at the AC72s.

--

is that safe?

the first time they towed AR

they wrecked the front beam

and had to brace it with 2 x 4

seriously!

Read them...and your point was that T-foils have nothing to do with preventing pitchpoles, which they quite clearly do...

If you read I say that LIFTING rudder foil do not prevent pp, they help it.

It can get worse.

that would be safer

and we know the race director is all about safety

It can get worse.

that would be safer

and we know the race director is all about safety

Maybe you should start a new thread on the subject then since you're so concerned with it :)

It can get worse.

Presumably corporate guests will be flown in to witness AC72s sailing together for the first time in an organised event. If what they get is the little AC45s being towed around instead, a few eyebrows may be raised. Critical remarks voiced. Don't you think?

"Darling, it's cute but didn't you say it would be bigger than that?"

It can get worse.

Presumably corporate guests will be flown in to witness AC72s sailing together for the first time in an organised event. If what they get is the little AC45s being towed around instead, a few eyebrows may be raised. Critical remarks voiced. Don't you think?

You know Mrs SWS as well?!?

It can get worse.

Insult Index = -4/10

No creativity - SOS.

It can get worse.

Insult Index = -4/10

No creativity - SOS.

Some's gotta do your job :lol:

So, have they launched yet??? rolled it out of the shed even?

Lp said they were going to load test it upside down strapped to the floor.

Is the shed big enough for the to roll it over inside, or have they assembled it upside down. been waiting for the crane over to roll it for too long

How does load testing upside down work??

^

--

--

assboat.jpg

Give this man 100 intahnets and a special limited edition Steinlager

If there is any wind it could be even more ridiculous. You don't normally tow 72's with a tender alongside because you have to move faster than windspeed at all times - so they tow fast from out front.

Side-tied to the tender means going backwards downwind :lol:

^

--

--

Seriously, how much bitching can you lot do? It is beyond absurd that you have to paint every damned action anyone does as a sham, a blight on the aura of the cup. Actually, this kind of "parade" of boats is more consistent with the AC than the previously planned fleet race. Open up the America's Cup season by having the boats parade by the fans? What is so damned bad, aweful about that? You guys and your non-stop shit-throwing end up obscuring any legitimate arguments, like those about the proposed rules that would have impacted ETNZ and LR's assym rudders.

Such a parade of competitors prior to the start of actual racing is hardly new to the racing world, in general, and hardly takes away from the LV or AC.

But don't let me stop you from continuing on your shit slinging.

There are boat parades where boats are actually sailed, making a bit of a show-off for the spectators. The AC45s did it in Cascais, lifted a hull, which was quite spectacular at that time (ETNZ's was the highest, so that I thought "Don't overdo it, Deano"), the EXSS does it while introducing the teams...

In the end it's just a parade and won't win the AC.

Such a parade of competitors prior to the start of actual racing is hardly new to the racing world, in general, and hardly takes away from the LV or AC.

What has people going, as you know perfectly well if you have been paying attention, are the suggestions that 1. they will be towed rather than sail past and 2. it will be in the teeny-weeny AC45s instead of the 72s, the latter presumably to spare the blushes of PC.

^

Indeed and to repeat the point I made the first time that piece was posted, if you can't trust the journalists to do basic checking of verifiable facts, what reason is there to believe what they write at all?

I felt really grateful when you lumped me in with the troublemakers on the site. I searched on your user name and looked for something really stupid that you said, but didn't find anything.

So I waited until Wett Wipe tore you a new one and then jumped on top.

I think that happened to me in 1st grade, but I grew up in a tough neighborhood.

Then I noticed you've posted more than 11,000 times. That has to be way more than the Ed guy and he owns the site. Second thing, almost all of them I read lasted a sentence or two, and you used a mix of questions and opinions. You've got a lot of opinions. I bet you've written down what you think about someone else or someone else's comment four thousand times on this site. That's like me talking about Portland drivers. My problem is I do it out loud and my people have to put up with it. I'm thinking your problem is you write yours down and some of them are about me.

So here's a question. What make you mad about this AC?

Another would be, "why are so many kiwis pissed off?" They've got to have some valid complaints, because so many of them complain. I went to school with a few people from the North Island and sailed with a couple more and never heard any of them get uptight. And, every one of them had been at least half way around the world. I wonder if the pissed off ones just don't get to travel as much.

Also, what's up with the mad? Its a cool name and I like the pig. But when I think of mad I think of this insane women in Oakland who I parked in front of once. She was so pissed off and angry looking I got back in my car and drove away quick. You don't have that vibe though, but maybe I haven't read enough.

Koukel

^

Indeed and to repeat the point I made the first time that piece was posted, if you can't trust the journalists to do basic checking of verifiable facts, what reason is there to believe what they write at all?

Agreed 100%. If you ones has been involved in something and known everything in detail. It might be work related or anything in life. Then by some reasons it ends up in the newspapers and you read what the journalist writes about the same thing you ralize that about 75% of the story is made up based on his fantancy and his very limited understanding of the subject and also based in "whitnesses" that did not know what they saw or what they are talking about.

From my experience 90% of what is written by a journalist is totaly wrong or partly wrong and 10% is correctish but only correctish. Not correct.

I felt really grateful when you lumped me in with the troublemakers on the site. I searched on your user name and looked for something really stupid that you said, but didn't find anything.

So I waited until Wett Wipe tore you a new one and then jumped on top.

I think that happened to me in 1st grade, but I grew up in a tough neighborhood.

Then I noticed you've posted more than 11,000 times. That has to be way more than the Ed guy and he owns the site. Second thing, almost all of them I read lasted a sentence or two, and you used a mix of questions and opinions. You've got a lot of opinions. I bet you've written down what you think about someone else or someone else's comment four thousand times on this site. That's like me talking about Portland drivers. My problem is I do it out loud and my people have to put up with it. I'm thinking your problem is you write yours down and some of them are about me.

So here's a question. What make you mad about this AC?

Another would be, "why are so many kiwis pissed off?" They've got to have some valid complaints, because so many of them complain. I went to school with a few people from the North Island and sailed with a couple more and never heard any of them get uptight. And, every one of them had been at least half way around the world. I wonder if the pissed off ones just don't get to travel as much.

Also, what's up with the mad? Its a cool name and I like the pig. But when I think of mad I think of this insane women in Oakland who I parked in front of once. She was so pissed off and angry looking I got back in my car and drove away quick. You don't have that vibe though, but maybe I haven't read enough.

Koukel

Who said I was mad about this cycle of the AC, I think the leap forward in technology is great. Just curious, like a lot of others about the latest Artemis boat.

Oh, and thanks for the profiling.

^

Agreed 100%. If you ones has been involved in something and known everything in detail. It might be work related or anything in life. Then by some reasons it ends up in the newspapers and you read what the journalist writes about the same thing you ralize that about 75% of the story is made up based on his fantancy and his very limited understanding of the subject and also based in "whitnesses" that did not know what they saw or what they are talking about.

From my experience 90% of what is written by a journalist is totaly wrong or partly wrong and 10% is correctish but only correctish. Not correct.

Wow, I was about to write the exact same thing. Every time there has been a major news story that involves a field that I have some personal expertise in, I realize that the journo's get most of the important stuff and many, many simple fact plain wrong. So one has to assume that the same is true for stories that I am not an expert in the subject.

So still no launch then.

Mad, I'm disappointed your post is shorter than usual and dosent have the normal snazzy mix of opinion as well as questions..

Mad, I'm disappointed your post is shorter than usual and dosent have the normal snazzy mix of opinion as well as questions..

Sorry about that, trying to do some work for a change :P

Up until the crash I really feel like the race was going forward pretty well excepting the limited number of teams. After AR's disaster it seems like they're the broken cog in the event due to both the unanswered questions on their crash and the current safety rules and associated controversy. They should just pull out, and then the defenders and race organizers won't have the giant headache of trying to jigger an event around getting an unprepared competitor racing for the spectacle of 33% more boats in the LV. This just isn't going to work!

Ya, this is getting pretty ridiculous. The boats are on display tomorrow with racing starting Sunday and all we have from AR is 'early July.' If these guys want the world to take them seriously they need to get on it.

I wouldnt be surprised if they unveil tomorrow just for the shock factor.

Would be interesting to see. With a wing on it would be even more so. Maybe show-up some of the haters around here. Give these guys a break. Grief is a strange thing that is hard to try and overcome.

Believe me, I know all too well.

Ya, this is getting pretty ridiculous. The boats are on display tomorrow with racing starting Sunday and all we have from AR is 'early July.' If these guys want the world to take them seriously they need to get on it.

PC was quoted has late June, now it's 'early July'.

AR has zero relevance in this AC, maybe next time (without PC).

could use a crane or jack to simulate step loadings whilst boat strapped down

AR team up on stage at opening now.

Iain Percy says "working day and night on B2. Really important for team and Simpson to get out there"

Just a wild guess, but I'd think the load tests being conducted are a little more complicated than cooking up a burger on the grill.

The hate for PC and AR continues to amaze me.

Just a wild guess, but I'd think the load tests being conducted are a little more complicated than cooking up a burger on the grill.

The hate for PC and AR continues to amaze me.

Just another example of the raging Kiwi frenzy against anything that stands between them and the cup...

you think artemis stand between etnz and the cup?

as a competitor?

or as a COR that's not working on behalf of the challengers?

raging Kiwi frenzy

Now there's something you don't see every day.

Who has left Artimis.

I looked at their homepage, and there are some people missing on the team page.

seems to have been part of the team at the end of May

PC did say though that 2 or 3 had left and i don't think at that time we could account for all of them

http://www.facebook.com/MagnusAugustson?viewer_id=0

May 31st, 2013 | Category: Racing | Leave a comment

You can download the whole magazine (including a great cover photo of Artemis Racing’s Magnus “Mango” Augustsson) By clicking right HERE: 130520LSSfyren. (The magazine is in Swedish, but you can use your mouse to grab the text of an article and copy/paste it into Google Translate.)

If Mango has left, then I would think things are more rotten than they appear.

T

Some of what Cayard is saying is a little confusing, for example, RC says new elevators aren't a big deal, Cayard says they are long lead-time projects.

I also can't figure out what the 'third case' is - 0.32m2 rudders that don't go past the beam or transom limits? I don't know that ET/LR's IJ protest requests this - just that non-unanimous changes cannot be allowed.

"On May 24, in good faith, Artemis Racing began modifications on one set of its rudders and elevators to comply with the Safety Recommendations. These are long lead-time projects. So now Artemis Racing has two sets rudder elevators: one that complies with the Safety Recommendations in their entirety, and one that complies with the rules as they were before the Safety Recommendations were issued. Artemis Racing cannot comply with the third case, which ETNZ and LR are now trying to force on the competition"

And then there's:

"The fact is that if ETNZ and LR get what they want, Artemis Racing will be excluded from competition."

Which regretfully indicates that Artemis should be the first eliminee of this competition - it's not just a sailboat race, you have to get on the course first.

. - See more at: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/07/05/paul-cayard-comments-on-the-americas-cup-controversy/#sthash.KgNqP26Z.dpuf

[edit: substituted a pronoun]

i'm not sure this sentence of his even makes sense

"And ETNZ wasn’t the first to figure out how to foil without elevators. No AC72 has ever foiled without them"

here i think he's saying here

So now Artemis Racing has two sets rudder elevators:

1. one that complies with the Safety Recommendations in their entirety,

2. and one that complies with the rules as they were before the Safety Recommendations were issued.

3. Artemis Racing cannot comply with the third case, which ETNZ and LR are now trying to force on the competition

1. a set of long? syms with big area elevators that IM wants

2. a set of small syms that won't break the box rule

3. what they can't make is a rudder that is as big as IM wants that doesn't break the box rule

ie they don't have the time or engineering ability to make assyms

Oh. That means that AR has never built its rudders according to the rule that is in force since two or three years.

Some of what Cayard is saying is a little confusing, for example, RC says new elevators aren't a big deal, Cayard says they are long lead-time projects.

I also can't figure out what the 'third case' is - 0.32m2 rudders that don't go past the beam or transom limits? I don't know that ET/LR's IJ protest requests this - just that non-unanimous changes cannot be allowed.

"On May 24, in good faith, Artemis Racing began modifications on one set of its rudders and elevators to comply with the Safety Recommendations. These are long lead-time projects. So now Artemis Racing has two sets rudder elevators: one that complies with the Safety Recommendations in their entirety, and one that complies with the rules as they were before the Safety Recommendations were issued. Artemis Racing cannot comply with the third case, which ETNZ and LR are now trying to force on the competition"

And then there's:

"The fact is that if ETNZ and LR get what they want, Artemis Racing will be excluded from competition."

Which regretfully indicates that Artemis should be the first eliminee of this competition - it's not just a sailboat race, you have to get on the course first.

. - See more at: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/07/05/paul-cayard-comments-on-the-americas-cup-controversy/#sthash.KgNqP26Z.dpuf

[edit: substituted a pronoun]

If ETNZ & LR win in the IJ all of the class rule changes go, including the increase in maximum platform weight of 100kg. I suspect this is what would exclude AR. I also expect this is the real reason for the protest, not the rudder changes.

Oh. That means that AR has never built its rudders according to the rule that is in force since two or three years.

No, they say they have two sets of rudders, one that complies with the old rules Nd one which complies with the new ones. The clincher must be the platform max weight change.

No, they say they have two sets of rudders, one that complies with the old rules Nd one which complies with the new ones. The clincher must be the platform max weight change.

Ah, o.k., still so occupied with the rudders ;) .

So I rephrase the post - which makes more sense when we take into account that there were suspicions that Big Red was overweight: That means that AR has never built a boat according to the rule that is in force since two or three years.

Sounds even worse.

What does PC mean by the "third [rudder] case" that ETNZ is proposing? I thought ETNZ wants to go back to the original Class Rules, which is his second case. As others have said, maybe it is the extra 100kg, but PC seems to be talking specifically about rudders.

After reading through PC's full statement, it might be the rudders. Did Iain Murray say that Artemis couldn't comply with symmetrical rudders, or asymmetrical ones?

What does PC mean by the "third [rudder] case" that ETNZ is proposing? I thought ETNZ wants to go back to the original Class Rules, which is his second case. As others have said, maybe it is the extra 100kg, but PC seems to be talking specifically about rudders.

PC seems to imply that ETNZ will agree to a class rule change relating to depth and area of the rudder foils, but not the max beam change.

Paul Cayard is dicovering that fucking with other teams with technical class-rule protests isn't a much fun as he remembered from 1992?

Why don't they just tell Artemis that they can do anything they like - turn up with whatever they have and give it a shot?

They can have however many crew they want, they can use whatever they've got in the shed for foils and wings and they don't need a measurement certificate as long as the 'vibe' is OK.

I'm not being sarcastic - they should just agree that if Artemis meet the safety criteria they can rock up and give it a shake.

If they make it to the finals then they have to measure or get disqualified.

"Slanderous and paranoid" I do like that. It describes a number of folks 'roundabouts perfectly.

PC seems to imply that ETNZ will agree to a class rule change relating to depth and area of the rudder foils, but not the max beam change.

Which is exactly what DB confirmed in his blog entry.

While I'm sure the extra 100 kg is important for them, I think what he's saying is that they can either use the original small elevators that fit in the box rule, but would not comply with the new safety min size elevator or they could use the new large symmetric elevators that stick outside of Bmax.

What they can't do is to have an elevator that's large but fits in the box. They apparently have the same problem as OR that their rudder is too far back, so if they have a large assym elevator, then the inside tip would break the 1m plane from stern. However, while OR have time to rebuild their boats until the AC, AR don't have time and would be eliminated.

While I'm sure the extra 100 kg is important for them, I think what he's saying is that they can either use the original small elevators that fit in the box rule, but would not comply with the new safety min size elevator or they could use the new large symmetric elevators that stick outside of Bmax.

What they can't do is to have an elevator that's large but fits in the box. They apparently have the same problem as OR that their rudder is too far back, so if they have a large assym elevator, then the inside tip would break the 1m plane from stern. However, while OR have time to rebuild their boats until the AC, AR don't have time and would be eliminated.

I believe you have it correct.

If the rudder rule change is being driven by a team, I'd say there's at least equal likelihood for it being AR as OR.

So, in essence they started building their new gear to a rule change that hadn't been enacted? That was smart. I don't care if they were counting on a GD handshake, to make that kind of assumption is a giant cockup, and hopefully their last.

I don't think AR has a chance of getting a race in, much less winning. I would go so far as to say I'll buy and wear an NZ shirt around SF if AR doesn't get DNS or last in every single race.

If the rudder rule change is being driven by a team, I'd say there's at least equal likelihood for it being AR as OR.

So, in essence they started building their new gear to a rule change that hadn't been enacted? That was smart. I don't care if they were counting on a GD handshake, to make that kind of assumption is a giant cockup, and hopefully their last.

I don't think AR has a chance of getting a race in, much less winning. I would go so far as to say I'll buy and wear an NZ shirt around SF if AR doesn't get DNS or last in every single race.

Anyone have any intel on Juan K? Someone mentioned he had put some space between himself and SF during the investigation, is that over now?

I heard he's seeking asylum - in Argentina!

No, its Equador that takes the asylum seekers.

And yes, IP said two weeks. I take it that means they have been dong additional work the the platform, 24-7 by the crew.

The fact is that if ETNZ and LR get what they want, Artemis Racing will be excluded from competition.

Spin for the dim-witted. ETNZ and LR don't "want" anything except for the rules to be left as they were.

The fact is that if ETNZ and LR get what they want, Artemis Racing will be excluded from competition.

Spin for the dim-witted. ETNZ and LR don't "want" anything except for the rules to be left as they were.

That's not all that DB has written. For the dim-witted: He also proposed running with 35 of the design changes, even 36 of them. The crucial one he wants left in that case, is the one that would have the side effects of a: excluding Artemis and b: presumably hurting Oracle too.

It's worth recalling that ETNZ already proposed a schedule and format change (since nixed) that would also have excluded Artemis from competition. So it's hardly precedent, them proposing another.

35 design changes? I thought most of them were strictly safety related, e.g. air bottle size and helmet specs, and only 3 would be have an influence on the class rule.

35 design changes? I thought most of them were strictly safety related, e.g. air bottle size and helmet specs, and only 3 would be have an influence on the class rule.

He's in full on spin mode now, so the whirling dervish has taken over and so 35 design changes just equates to 37 safety recommendations, he can't keep up with ehman's spin of the day schedule....

That's not all that DB has written. For the dim-witted: He also proposed running with 35 of the design changes, even 36 of them. The crucial one he wants left in that case, is the one that would have the side effects of a: excluding Artemis and b: presumably hurting Oracle too.

It's worth recalling that ETNZ already proposed a schedule and format change (since nixed) that would also have excluded Artemis from competition. So it's hardly precedent, them proposing another.

Both of the above situations are in fact examples of ETNZ suggesting compromises to last minute changes to design and race format initiated by others. But slash away spinner,

you deserve a medal for your titanic efforts over the last few days.

Both of the above situations are in fact examples of ETNZ suggesting compromises to last minute changes to design and race format initiated by others. But slash away spinner,

you deserve a medal for your titanic efforts over the last few days.

~Stingray~ could be right, they may see an opportunity to disadvantage the other teams by sticking to their guns. I interpret the events of the last few weeks to also show Oracle looking to advantage themselves through these changes (larger rudder elevators that otherwise wouldn't fit). But importantly, ETNZ can gain their advantage by sticking to their rights under the protocol, and I think it's a strong hand to play to the IJ. Oracle on the other hand is probably not doing anything nefarious, but working hard on the PR side to leverage a window of opportunity that has been opened by IM, as is their right. I just don't think that the 'legal' framework around the cup will allow it to happen for OR.