Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah0809

Artemis?

maybe i'm stupid... when turning of wind... the wing will push forward-leeward... the hull (drag) will push backward-windward... v-shape with the beams aft also in a v-shape is more in line with the vectors of the forces released on the beams... less chance of snapping them...

Makes sense. Reduces some of the shearing load you would see in that situation with a straight beam.

all clear panels in the wing. Not too much curve in the foils.

Would love to see them foil right out of the box. Go Artemis

ScreenShot2013-07-18at70428PM.png?t=1374

I hate to see this beam

Why?

Have you seen the first one, you know the one which broke a first time when the boat was under tug and a second time in about 16-18 knot of wind ?

OK, perhaps they reinforced it but it still seems to be the same.

Why the V ? why is the beam looking seeming so flat while most forces are vertical ?

Whose sailor will be happy to sail with this beam ?

I love it when people say it "seems to be the same". There is a hell of a lot more involved with these things than what we see on the surface. You do know they are not solid elements, right. From the surface, we can't see any of the stuff underneath. How thick(er) it is. Internal structure? All kinds of stuff. You can bet your ass that this beam is different than the one on Boat 1, probably was always going to be, but surely they made changes after the first one broke last summer, and, absolutely after Boat 1 crashed.

You have two ways to reinforce the beam, thicker skin or wider diameter, the last solution being the lighter way to do it. IF the diameter is the same they had to increase the weight, where did they take it from in the boat ? is the boat complying ?

I guess nobody here can give the answers, but we can ask the questions.

Not really sure what I'm missing here.

AR just in the water.

Millions and millions spent.

Boat way behind the 8 ball.

For the life of me, I cannot understand any club/sponsor deciding to put throw all that dosh at a boat that will not win.

Through all prior defender series that I have followed, there are a bunch of challengers that are totally un-competitive.

For Christ bloody sake, if a man is going to spend millions on a boat, he should do it to win, not just to turn up and say "I did it".

That is what 75% - 85% of them do.

If the Kiwis can arrive at their first cup and be front runners - on the Doctors doorstep - then why don't others do the same thing?

Seriously, it isn't just because it is a bunch of Kiwis that make them so special.
The reality is - other challengers just don't take it seriously.

Am I totally off the wall???

Back to AR. What a complete waste of money. Is it all PC's problem?

This sort of crap totally frustrates me .... Sorry, just getting it off my chest! But for the life of me, it is so totally bloody daft.

hate to see this beam

Why?

Have you seen the first one, you know the one which broke a first time when the boat was under tug and a second time in about 16-18 knot of wind ?

OK, perhaps they reinforced it but it still seems to be the same.

Why the V ? why is the beam looking seeming so flat while most forces are vertical ?

Whose sailor will be happy to sail with this beam ?

I love it when people say it "seems to be the same". There is a hell of a lot more involved with these things than what we see on the surface. You do know they are not solid elements, right. From the surface, we can't see any of the stuff underneath. How thick(er) it is. Internal structure? All kinds of stuff. You can bet your ass that this beam is different than the one on Boat 1, probably was always going to be, but surely they made changes after the first one broke last summer, and, absolutely after Boat 1 crashed.

You have two ways to reinforce the beam, thicker skin or wider diameter, the last solution being the lighter way to do it. IF the diameter is the same they had to increase the weight, where did they take it from in the boat ? is the boat complying ?

I guess nobody here can give the answers, but we can ask the questions.

I'm sorry, but what is your point? First of all, this is not Boat1, nor are we looking at Boat1's beams. These are new beams. Frankly, we don't know if they are exactly as they were originally designed, before original construction, many many months ago, after the beams on Boat 1 had already been known to have a problem. Or, have they been re-designed, or augmented for more strength. We also can't determine much from a couple of photos without being able to measure them against those of Boat1. We simply don't know much. Certainly not enough to make a comment like "OK, perhaps they reinforced it but it still seems to be the same"

AR just in the water.

For the life of me, I cannot understand any club/sponsor deciding to put throw all that dosh at a boat that will not win.

Through all prior defender series that I have followed, there are a bunch of challengers that are totally un-competitive.

For Christ bloody sake, if a man is going to spend millions on a boat, he should do it to win, not just to turn up and say "I did it".

If the Kiwis can arrive at their first cup and be front runners - on the Doctors doorstep - then why don't others do the same thing?

Seriously, it isn't just because it is a bunch of Kiwis that make them so special.

This sort of crap totally frustrates me .... Sorry, just getting it off my chest! But for the life of me, it is so totally bloody daft.

AR's AC34 campaign is an example of governance and management failure, IMO. A failure stemming from poor management decisions and a failure to deal with management weakness.

Is it me or does the stern on the boat look a little waterlogged??

Certainly looks a hell of a lot different than the Red Boat. Bows, lack of spray thingies, boards, prod, wheel, ....

Can't wait to see them take 'er out.

I'm happy for them, top effort by the shore crew to get her in the water under trying circumstances.

I'm afraid they won't be competitive but wish them the best of luck nevertheless.

AR just in the water.

Give it a rest! Take a Valium or something. I think that it's fair to say that the Artemis challenge was a full on well funded campaign. They hired high end management, a high end designer/team, and world class sailors. Unfortunately, a few mistakes were made that turned out to be significant setbacks which in turn put them deeper and deeper into a hole with precious little time to correct it. Regardless of the finger pointing and political BS, considering the situation they found themselves in(self imposed), the fact that they haven't given up and actually managed to launch a boat that passed the structural testing is nothing short of incredible.

Yes, they managed to put themselves into a difficult place. But it wasn't because they were shooting for a half a$$ed attempt at the cup. They were(are) in it to win, it just didn't work out as they had planned. Next time you have 100 million dollars that you PERSONALLY spend to mount your first Americas Cup campaign, let us know how it works out so all the internet experts can tell you how many mistakes YOU made. Or are you beyond such things since you would clearly "take it seriously"?

I'm not rooting for Artemis, but I'm thrilled they have their boat in the water and I certainly wish them luck.

SB

Nice looking boat, especially the forward cross beam which looks "just right" to me :).

One thing that does stand out is what appears to be a larger gap between the wing and the deck compared to LR and ETNZ, but it's hard to tell from the photos. If the gap is as large as it appears, then I wonder if they are going to fill it in with some sort of wing "end plate" to limit induced drag.

Nice looking boat, especially the forward cross beam which looks "just right" to me :).

One thing that does stand out is what appears to be a larger gap between the wing and the deck compared to LR and ETNZ, but it's hard to tell from the photos. If the gap is as large as it appears, then I wonder if they are going to fill it in with some sort of wing "end plate" to limit induced drag.

Aero probly wont go on till standard testing? The other teams have got removable wing sections that mount almost flush to the net as well as ground effect/endplate plastic that cover the front half of their trampoline.

Worth noting, the CG and wing rake looks very well centered over the boards, unlike OR...

I'm thrilled they have their boat in the water and I certainly wish them luck.

SB

+ 10

Lookin' good. Congratulations, Artemis!

Good words

--

"This is a great day for many reasons" said Torbjörn Törnqvist, owner of Artemis Racing, who spoke before the crowd. "It is the culmination of a heroic effort to put together this beautiful boat. The shore team has put so much into this, and now for our sailing team to get out there and give her justice. I am proud to share with you this great moment."

--

AR just in the water.

Give it a rest! Take a Valium or something. I think that it's fair to say that the Artemis challenge was a full on well funded campaign. They hired high end management, a high end designer/team, and world class sailors. Unfortunately, a few mistakes were made that turned out to be significant setbacks which in turn put them deeper and deeper into a hole with precious little time to correct it. Regardless of the finger pointing and political BS, considering the situation they found themselves in(self imposed), the fact that they haven't given up and actually managed to launch a boat that passed the structural testing is nothing short of incredible.

Yes, they managed to put themselves into a difficult place. But it wasn't because they were shooting for a half a$$ed attempt at the cup. They were(are) in it to win, it just didn't work out as they had planned. Next time you have 100 million dollars that you PERSONALLY spend to mount your first Americas Cup campaign, let us know how it works out so all the internet experts can tell you how many mistakes YOU made. Or are you beyond such things since you would clearly "take it seriously"?

I'm not rooting for Artemis, but I'm thrilled they have their boat in the water and I certainly wish them luck.

SB

Seriously, would you expect anything different from Takootie/Hastings but another stupid post ?

http://artemis-racing.americascup.com/news/4608/artemis-racing-launches-blue-boat-2

13_043533_LVC20131-640x960.jpg

Boat looks really good. Sits in the water right, boards in the right spot, go Artemis!

who's the sponsor - symbol at the base of the mast?

Pelle Peterson, Swedish sailing hero, co-designed and sailed Swedish AC challenger Sveirge '77, 2 X Olympic medalist, Soling World Champion, Yacht Designer, now owns sail and sport clothing company of his name, and his daughter is married to PC.

Don't all the other teams step the mast while the boat is still on the hard? Seems like playing 'pin the tail on the donkey' doing it after the boat is bobbing around in the water. Watch the timelapse.

AR just in the water.

SB

Seriously, would you expect anything different from Takootie/Hastings but another stupid post ?

Must you always go there?

Have they named it yet? Might I suggest The Spruce Goose?

The Blue Boat, christened “Artemis Racing”, will now be fixed with Wing #3 and undergo the dock tune process, which will set the boat up for sailing.

AR just in the water.

AR's AC34 campaign is an example of governance and management failure, IMO. A failure stemming from poor management decisions and a failure to deal with management weakness.

The only waste of money would be not completing the boat and getting her to sail. Artemis plans to be back for AC35. This is their first time out and they aren't going home with their tails between their legs, they are pushing on despite what has gone wrong.They NEED to see this through.They made a bad decision on which way to go, foil or no foil, and the designer wasn't the best pick for THIS project. What happened was a cascading series of events that were due to those two decisions. All the armchair helmsmen out there have no idea what goes on in a project of this magnitude but find it is easy to "be the expert" and second guess and worse disparage the people who were responsible for the project. I don't see anyone running out to recruit you guys to run a campaign. It's easy to point fingers when you have nothing on the line.

If the jury had agreed with Artemis and OR about how to measure daggerboards, ETNZ and LR could very well be in a similar position and AR would look like the smart guys.

AR will be a strong contender next time around as they have learned the hard lessons in this series.

Pace Arrow

AR just in the water.

The only waste of money would be not completing the boat and getting her to sail. Artemis plans to be back for AC35. This is their first time out and they aren't going home with their tails between their legs, they are pushing on despite what has gone wrong.They NEED to see this through.They made a bad decision on which way to go, foil or no foil, and the designer wasn't the best pick for THIS project. What happened was a cascading series of events that were due to those two decisions. All the armchair helmsmen out there have no idea what goes on in a project of this magnitude but find it is easy to "be the expert" and second guess and worse disparage the people who were responsible for the project. I don't see anyone running out to recruit you guys to run a campaign. It's easy to point fingers when you have nothing on the line.

If the jury had agreed with Artemis and OR about how to measure daggerboards, ETNZ and LR could very well be in a similar position and AR would look like the smart guys.

AR will be a strong contender next time around as they have learned the hard lessons in this series.

In the AC there isn't a next time....it's now or never. Good luck to Artemis - they need every bit of it, hopefully NO has been watching all the replays on you tube.

One of the first things I noticed, too.

All this comparison of boat two to boat one is just ridiculous. There are a number of differences. To suggest the forward beam is anything like that of boat one is to miss the obvious. Notice the big rectangular shaped bowsprit is gone, replaced by a more common detachable pole that attaches to the center of the structure. The entire network of support cables and basic framework has changed. I can not go into the exact engineering as I am not privileged to have access to the plans and numbers, but the differences are obvious and visible. The failure of boat one can be tied to many things, the tow test without proper loading because the wing was not attached is a big one. The beam gets repaired, but is compromised just the same. The boat was not designed to foil. The boat was modified twice to increase the lifting effect of the daggerboards. From nearly displacement to more than 80% lift. So the boat is now under loads that were not in the original engineering package. And since they obviously didn't have proper data to figure what those loads were, they end up with a bow down jibe and catastrophic failure on the planned last pass, on the last jibe of the last day of sailing (and we don't know if it was structure failure or pitchpole that caused the breakup).

So now we have boat two. Designed to foil, unlike boat one. Design loads different because of added stress of foiling. With real world load numbers donated from the other teams and from practical experience from the foiling AC45, modifications were made. The structure is tested to proper loads, unlike boat one and passes (hopefully the carbon layup is better as I don't think King would get it wrong twice).

So after all of the work done to get it right, and after all of the testing done to assure the structure is safe, we get, "the beam doesn't look right". After everything that was done to get Artemis Blue in the water, I would be quite happy to get onboard and feel quite confident that the beam isn't a problem.

People just can't help themselves when it comes to finding fault with this team. Looking at a photograph from half a world away, and say "I hate to see this beam" and suggest that some weakness has been missed by the guys on the team that will be sailing this boat, is, well, ridiculous.

Good post. I don't think any of us would let Dupe font come close to our boats.

Koukel

AR just in the water.

SB

Well said...!

AR just in the water.

Again... well said!

One of the first things I noticed, too.

I wonder if they plan to add some aero decking behind the front beam and under the wing similar to ETNZ/LR? That may also depend on how they measure.

And you already know the engineering of the first beam of the same shape, so why try to start from scratch there?

Wrong section/profile?

=================

Great to see the boat in the water! Even though I support Oracle 100% I hope Artemis puts up a hell of a fight-good luck, guys!

Looking at their foils, we may be seeing something new here: the daggerboard portion of the foil appears to have very little curve-at least in that first picture.

>UPDATE: the picture below shows a bit more curve than I could see earlier-right side:

post-30-0-43177400-1374532707_thumb.jpg

As for Nathan, yes he is a great helm, but it is light years from running around two handed in a 49 er

Let me guess that you have never sailed a 49er in more than 15 knots

No I haven't sailed a 49er in more than 15 knots, not sure that this is the test for a right of passage into helming an AC 72 and not sure what it has to do with the price of cheese either.

In case you missed it....NO is the standout helm of his cohort and if you were looking for someone to develop as a skipper and helm for the next AC, whatever the boat, probably none better than NO and he gets some time to be alongside the genius of LP for this regatta...hopefully ETNZ do the same with Burling ....if AR have signed NO going forward another loss to any Aussie AC plans.

NO, Spithill, Beashal, Ashby, Bundock etc, maybe GD should be careful how he writes any new nationality rules, should he get the chance

As for the 49er not sure it the measure of a skiff helm, pretty benign boat especially with the class wind limits, have you sailed an r class, 12', 18' in 30 knots?

I just want the damned thing to be safe and not hurt anyone

Also just noticed the bowsprit looks like jib only? And from other pics it looks like a self tacker. Definitely a lot of design mods from ETNZ.

Great looking boat - prob the nicest looking IMO

2nd nicest surely.what about LR?

Don't kid yourself - 18's don't sail in 30 knots true.

Reality check, in SF they do.

Also just noticed the bowsprit looks like jib only? And from other pics it looks like a self tacker. Definitely a lot of design mods from ETNZ.

Yes, almost posted the same.

I wonder how much weight was saved? Their B1 had a truly massive sprit.

That's rich, coming from a rabidly anti-safety regs jihadist ;)

=================

Great to see the boat in the water! Even though I support Oracle 100% I hope Artemis puts up a hell of a fight-good luck, guys!

Looking at their foils, we may be seeing something new here: the daggerboard portion of the foil appears to have very little curve-at least in that first picture.

>UPDATE: the picture below shows a bit more curve than I could see earlier-right side:

Isn't it thought straighter, more "L" like is faster, but less stable, and curved or "V" is more stable but more draggy? Maybe they figured might as well gamble that NO can figure out flying fast enough and they are better trying to get as much straight line speed as possible because there is no way they can nail down the crew work to make maneuvers any where near what ETNZ can do by the time they will be matched up.

http://artemis-racing.americascup.com/news/4608/artemis-racing-launches-blue-boat-2

Boat looks really good. Sits in the water right, boards in the right spot, go Artemis!

who's the sponsor - symbol at the base of the mast?

Pelle Peterson, Swedish sailing hero, co-designed and sailed Swedish AC challenger Sveirge '77, 2 X Olympic medalist, Soling World Champion, Yacht Designer, now owns sail and sport clothing company of his name, and his daughter is married to PC.

Why the runners? Don't think the other boats have them..

I realize I'm in the minority here, but LR just doesn't do it for me

That's rich, coming from a rabidly anti-safety regs jihadist ;)

Ok, so I know you are teasing but I'll still bite!

I don't like that the rules have been changed and I also don't like that AR has been allowed to continue through those rule changes.

However, if they ARE going to actually sail this thing, then the least that we can hope for is for them to be safe doing it.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but LR just doesn't do it for me

Ur right, u r in the minority.

But Big Blue certainly does look good. Better than ETNZ or OR.

It's a shorty but they've got an enhanced version if needed.

DSC_2021_zps0dde9b92.jpg

AR just in the water.

SB

Someone has to or the newbies wont realize that what looks like three losers with similar thoughts are all the same clown. Think of it as an educational announcement.

Actually looks good . You are just confused by the lack of stickers :)

Wow that is so fucking good-looking. I really hope its fast, because Luna Rossa simply cannot compete with the Kiwis. Granted this boat would have to be considerably faster than NZL to compete given the crew work discrepancy. Of course, this is highly doubtful to be the case, but here's hoping.

Hehehe! +1

Thats why we have the stickers, so the opposition can tell which fucking way the boat is going.

Look familiar?

HMSBelfastlight.jpg

LR is lip stick on a pig. Sorry, the lines are average. Beautiful paint job, though.

The boat does look good but I also wondered if it is a bit stern down and there is the ACRM stuff to go on yet.

AR just in the water.

SB

Someone has to or the newbies wont realize that what looks like three losers with similar thoughts are all the same clown. Think of it as an educational announcement.

SWS is almost certainly wrong about Kia Ora being TK but it's actually funny to watch :)

LR couldn't thrash an AC45 they way they have been sailing. AR may pull a shocker on those guys.

LR will thrash them back into the shed where they belong.

I forget precisely when the ETNZ haters first started their feeding frenzy against AR, but am guessing it was over who filed the proper Challenge first, after ML.

Is that still the big hatred, or has it gotten even more fervid since then?

Why interrupt to piss on what is actually an excellent day for AR? The launch of a dynamite-looking boat?

Criminy..

LR couldn't thrash an AC45 they way they have been sailing. AR may pull a shocker on those guys.

Not a chance. LR are sailing like drunken pirates, but they will still shit all over AR.

2 weeks is not remotely enough time to shake down and come to grips with a new boat, even if that boat is a rocket ship.

I forget precisely when the ETNZ haters first started their feeding frenzy against AR, but am guessing it was over who filed the proper Challenge first, after ML.

Why interrupt to piss on what is actually an excellent day for AR? The launch of a dynamite-looking boat?

Criminy..

You are right, it looks great and might even be a rocket ship.

But ETNZ could hand them boat 2 right now and AR still couldn't beat LR 2 weeks from now.

Criminy..

They gotta build-up LR since they're sailing a Kiwi team designed boat, against the evil billionaires boat.

All billionaires boats are evil, didn't ya' know? ;)

Pretty damned funny, actually. AR was one of my least favorite teams back when we really did have a bunch of teams (OR, AR, ETNZ, ET, Aleph, GC, KT, CT, LR), but with what they have gone through, and the way so many Kiwis want to write them off as having ANY chance to even look respectable, I have started rooting for them as much as, or maybe even more, than I do for OR.

Given what they've been through (be it of their own making or whatever) I'd like to see them out there doing a creditable job of racing. I do worry that realistically they might get out there and either (1) go like a bat out of hell for a bit, then do something wrong, and... or (2) get lapped. Hope my worries are unfounded.

I don't see them beating ETNZ in any case. They may have a boat that is potentially radically fast, but don't see that they have the time to get it to its potential...

SB

SWS is almost certainly wrong about Kia Ora being TK but it's actually funny to watch :)

There is no doubt. SWS is completely wrong and it's all rather pathetic really.

Either he is delusional or it's his twisted idea of a bad joke.

Yes, long odds for the underdog AR but the effort was worthwhile, the boat looks excellent, and as fans we should all hope they can win one reach to the first mark.

I know I'll be cheering with a hat-tip.

Criminy..

Makes perfect sense to me. It's not about AR, it's about their strange need to paint everything black and white. Good vs. evil. You know, they way children see the world...

And since LR is ETNZ's poodle, to whom ETNZ hands out ass-kickings on the course, AR has to be even slower and more screwed up than the debacle LR is becoming.

Same as OTUSA being clueless, slow, hopelessly behind, never catching up, etc. It's where you say what you want to be true instead of what is actually true. Par for the course from the few jokers on here who give NZ fans a bad name...

Another vote here for prettiest boat. I like the LR chrome job, but don't love the lines (and hate the performance...). ETNZ and OTUSA need to hire a graphic designer next time--they are both fugly as far as livery goes.

AR is gorgeous.

Criminy..

Makes perfect sense to me. It's not about AR, it's about their strange need to paint everything black and white. Good vs. evil. You know, they way children see the world...

And since LR is ETNZ's poodle, to whom ETNZ hands out ass-kickings on the course, AR has to be even slower and more screwed up than the debacle LR is becoming.

Same as OTUSA being clueless, slow, hopelessly behind, never catching up, etc. It's where you say what you want to be true instead of what is actually true. Par for the course from the few jokers on here who give NZ fans a bad name...

Oh, I get it now...Only the ETNZ/LR fans act like children on here....the OR/AR ones are way more grown up....Are you reading the same forum chauch?

user6133_pic34477_1326494238.jpg

Good on AR to get their boat in the water. It's just a shame what a debacle AR have made this AC so far. Pretty plain looking boat as well. Seems a lot of posters think this is a beauty competition, which is funny because I am sure there is sailing involved somewhere....

The pretty poodle that is LR will easily beat the chiwawa that is AR.

Any sign of JuanK at the launch? Whatever the history with this team's tribulations, I wish them well. Go get them guys, let's have a contest, safely.