• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsailor

Banque Populaire V

Banque Populaire, The maxi sailing Trimaran, is on the way to smash the existing around the world record. What is its current position. ???

Banque Populaire, The maxi sailing Trimaran, is on the way to smash the existing around the world record. What is its current position. ???

Go to their site: trimaran banque populaire and click on cartography. By the way there is already a thread on this.It's BP Jules Verne...

is anybody going to be a real man (or woman) and line it up singlehanded against Armel Le Cleac'h with the former Groupama 3 on the Route du Rhum ? :D

OK, so can anyone enlighten me as to why BP have bought G3 and sold BPV? Is the old G3 thought to be faster?

Still a big ask to sail G3 solo. Major changes were made to her for Cammas's route de Rhum victory. This included a smaller rig and bicycle powered winches.

Still a big ask to sail G3 solo. Major changes were made to her for Cammas's route de Rhum victory. This included a smaller rig and bicycle powered winches.

I was never aware of the bicycle. Where did he have that? :blink:

Holy... and now I imagine biking with the boat tapping... that's ridiculous. If you're going to that length, wouldn't it be a lot more sensible to install it longitudinally?

Not really. It's common to ride a bike up or down a hill, not leaning over 8 degrees on either side while going in a straight line.

I'm with you on the heel issue there, Ryan, but to be honest I'm more concerned with pitching. This or that way, it doesn't seem to be an ideal setup.

Not really. It's common to ride a bike up or down a hill, not leaning over 8 degrees on either side while going in a straight line.

I'm with you on the heel issue there, Ryan, but to be honest I'm more concerned with pitching. This or that way, it doesn't seem to be an ideal setup.

Maybe a recumbent position would be better in this situation?

Understand that the bike powered winches were for halyards only, so not used the whole time and guess the boat would be fairly level at that stage.

Understand that the bike powered winches were for halyards only, so not used the whole time and guess the boat would be fairly level at that stage.

That... makes me feel silly now. Good explanation, a lot more sensible. Thanks!

Brian Thompson thought G3 would be a great boat to have a go at Francis Joyon's 57d RtW record.

Though I guess that G3 is a far cry from IDEC, and far less "comfortable" to sail. Then again Armel and Joyon seem to have similar approaches to conserving energy, namely, not to speak too much.

Looks like BP5 could be going again!

From Spindrift

After re-fitting the maxi-trimaran Spindrift 2 (formerly the record-breaking Banque Populaire V), the Spindrift racing team is gaining momentum. The 2013 program, designed and based around Dona Bertarelli and Yann Guichard, will marry regattas, ocean races and ocean records for the next four seasons.

The Fastnet Race in August for Spindrift 2

Spindrift 2 is currently at the CDK boatyard in Lorient for a complete check-up and will be launched in its new livery in early July. The first training session is scheduled so that Spindrift 2 does not break stride before the start of the Fastnet Race from Cowes on August 11. He holds the record for the 600-mile race in the English Channel and the Irish Sea, winning in 1 day 8 hours and 48 minutes at an average speed of 18.1 knots (approved WSSRC record) in August 2011. This year will be dedicated to discovering the boat and familiarising ourselves with the size of the machine so we can determine what technical developments it is possible to make for next season. Yann Guichard said.

After the first outing in the Fastnet, Spindrift racing will dedicate 2014 to the formation of a team of a dozen people to set records: An Atlantic crossing, the Route Discovery, a Mediterranean crossing, Jules Verne

This joint project with Yann is about drawing together human and sporting adventures that fit our criteria: creating a new challenge and team, performing and not resting on our laurels, Dona Bertarelli said. Although it is a logical next step for Yann in his career, for me it is a 90 ° turn and a big challenge to get involved in this ocean racing format that I do not know. It is my desire to progress further and discover the deep.