• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobbieB

Charleston Race Week

229 posts in this topic

53 boats registered as of last night. Biggest fleet is Vipers w/20. Next is Melges 20's w/10.

We're not registered yet, but we'll be sailing the mighty Loki, (1970 Charlie Morgan 38) in the non-spin class. She just got a new headsail and will have a fresh new bottom job. Not to brag, but we load her up with our club laser sailors and make her go quite fast......So to all others in the cruising class. Bring it!

53 boats registered as of last night. Biggest fleet is Vipers w/20. Next is Melges 20's w/10.

Charleston Race Week Numbers

i thought this was a thread about *********** sailing in Clean's "back yard"

Dying to sail CRW...I need a ride pleeeeeeeze.

Making a request for the south offshore course to be offshore this year. Running aground sucked.

Working on a 'business meeting' in CHS for that week as I type.

Nothing like getting mileage($) to go sailboat racing.

GO team

Sail safe!

Working on a 'business meeting' in CHS for that week as I type.

Nothing like getting mileage($) to go sailboat racing.

GO team

Sail safe!

On a J/92? :D

Making a request for the south offshore course to be offshore this year. Running aground sucked.

* infinity...

Clean ain't here no mo. Went back to the motown.

And is a much better town now!!!

I was on the South circle last year, in a mother-tub Beneteau. Where did you find a shallow spot?

Charleston Race Week or sex?

ha ha ha...what's up buddy?? ..I'll have to see if Papa Punch is planning to bring the MummFarr 30 into town again. You gonna be there?

"We'll be sailing the mighty Loki, (1970 Charlie Morgan 38) in the non-spin class"

I'm searching for a long lost '70 Charley Morgan 38.....

What's your hull #?

Does the boat still have it's CCA sail numbers?

I was on the South circle last year, in a mother-tub Beneteau. Where did you find a shallow spot?

We hit about 100 yards inshore of the committee boat. Swells proceeded to push us in and bounce the boat off the bottom for about 30 minutes until we towed it off. The other Thompson hit bottom during the first race on Day 1. Our chase boat scouted the course on Day 3 and most of it was 10-14 ft deep when it was calm. Add and subtract swells to that and the troughs were pretty shallow.

We hit about 100 yards inshore of the committee boat. Swells proceeded to push us in and bounce the boat off the bottom for about 30 minutes until we towed it off. The other Thompson hit bottom during the first race on Day 1. Our chase boat scouted the course on Day 3 and most of it was 10-14 ft deep when it was calm. Add and subtract swells to that and the troughs were pretty shallow.

don't forget I think two other boats ran aground on the course...

"We'll be sailing the mighty Loki, (1970 Charlie Morgan 38) in the non-spin class"

What's your hull #?

Pretty sure we don't have the CCA numbers. I'll check w/the owner on hull #. He bought it last April and before then it served as a college dorm room in Charleston for at least 4 years. With the exception of a slightly updated inboard, main sail, new 130% jib and furling unit the boat is original, but pretty damn fast.

don't forget I think two other boats ran aground on the course...

Sometimes the water gets shallower as you move closer to shore. ;)

We lost a very nice, very new folding prop somewhere between G15 and the start line...

wtf? You send people into the ground on the race course and don't see the problem? maybe you wanna ease the course offshore a bit. just sayin.

What's your hull #?

Pretty sure we don't have the CCA numbers. I'll check w/the owner on hull #. He bought it last April and before then it served as a college dorm room in Charleston for at least 4 years. With the exception of a slightly updated inboard, main sail, new 130% jib and furling unit the boat is original, but pretty damn fast.

Owner says he does not have the hull number. I'll take a look at hr this afternoon and see what I can dig up.

Thinking of doing CRW but need a boat and a bed. Not looking to share a bed. References available.

Hi K8. :wub:

No leads for you on CRW, but nice to hear from you! B)

Finally getting a chance to do this regatta. I'll be there on M24 US444. Hope to meet some of you down there.

Charleston Race Week

2012: 183 entries and growing

2011: 280 entries

2010: 193 entries

2009: 175 entries

2008: 144 entries

2007: 149 entries

The numbers speak for themselves.

Data collected from Yacht Scoring

Charleston Race Week

So its down 30% from last year? Oh no! This must be its last year! No need to cover it, Clean!

Charleston Race Week

So its down 30% from last year? Oh no! This must be its last year! No need to cover it, Clean!

Pleese donte antaggornise crw fanes. :)

Charleston Race Week

I try to use the actual numbers on the line when i do comparisons. Last year, there were I think 232 or 234 boats scored, which was 35 or so percent more than 2010. The number of dropped registrations before the first start was way out of whack for a few reasons.

My forecast for this year is 250-260 boats on the line, maybe 280-290 registered.

Will be there a week before CRW until a few days after. And I'll be celebrating my 40th Birthday on day 1.

Thinking of doing CRW but need a boat and a bed. Not looking to share a bed. References available.

bump

hi HB

Will be there a week before CRW until a few days after. And I'll be celebrating my 40th Birthday on day 1.

Bring Hulsey's boat with you. That way he'll have to show up.

Bring Hulsey's boat with you. That way he'll have to show up.

Good idea. Gas money bitch...or a free charter for me!

I've registered my Viper and I've got Ian and Jake from the Cal 25 Prestige Worldwide Race Team with me!

But it was so much fun! And who needs a depthfinder when you have a keel, anyways?

Ugh.

No live on the water anarchy coverage?

We're not about to stop a 7-year tradition now...

Goodon ya!! Repsect the tradissions! Only goofes triese to bende evybody to hise wille, liff an lette liff I awayes aye. :)

Maybe we will be worth filming this year. With some new sails, I updated the steering ratio and a deep keel (installed today) we are out of excuses...

Looks like the numbers on the offshore courses are up?

Would be great to have the boat the guys from Oswald Props and Tops have. At least for the offshore courses, might put off to much wake on the inshore circles.

bumphi HB

Hi K8! :wub:

The boat I normally sail on for traveling regattas will not be there this year as far as I know. :(

bumphi HB

Hi K8! :wub:

The boat I normally sail on for traveling regattas will not be there this year as far as I know. :(

No, because Clarke is sailing his J/80

After KW with him on the boat could you imagine how much damage you guys could do without him

BTW. There are 4 J29 MH OB boats registered. One more and they get an OD fleet. Just in case someone is on the fence.

BTW. There are 4 J29 MH OB boats registered. One more and they get an OD fleet. Just in case someone is on the fence.

Thanks for helping out. We are trying to get one more to go. Know any of the boats in the Annapolis region?

Espo?

I've been working on Espo to do CRW for years. Love to have him show up but according to him he's too old to be dragging the boat 15 hours each way for a 3 day regatta.

We're still working on him though...........

The race committee is compiling a list of what classes get launched at what facility (now 5 locations)

Watch the website as time gets shorter to see where to go

Espo?

I've been working on Espo to do CRW for years. Love to have him show up but according to him he's too old to be dragging the boat 15 hours each way for a 3 day regatta.

Available to crew, so I can fly in on Thurs and out on Sun, and bitch all the way up the river on Sun that I'm going top miss my flight, like my crew did the last time I was there. They made it so much fun.

Espo?

Available to crew, so I can fly in on Thurs and out on Sun, and bitch all the way up the river on Sun that I'm going top miss my flight, like my crew did the last time I was there. They made it so much fun.

Soorry theye ruinde evente foure you.

Man up Espo...don't you have enough bitches around to drive your boat home back and forth from regattas for you? Jeezus.

Man up Espo...don't you have enough bitches around to drive your boat home back and forth from regattas for you? Jeezus.

No, not ones I trust

No, not ones I trust

I would even do it, if I wasn't too busy trying to make enough money to buy a life insurance policy off of you.

No, not ones I trust

I would even do it, if I wasn't too busy trying to make enough money to buy a life insurance policy off of you.

If you would have bought the policy 2 years ago, there would be enough cash value by now for you to pay someone to bring my boat and maybe even enough $ left to by Ryan a sail or 2

It looks like it will be a walk in the park in PHRF D for one of the J/29's

Don't count the Evelyns out, mein fiend...er...mein Freund. ;)

I won't count them in either

I won't count them in either

Yeah, well, ok right, there is that possibility too.

PHRF C looks fun @ 14 boats.

207 and still 4 J29's. You guys can't dig up just one more???

Sad isn't it. But we're still trying.

Expo, thay neede you, our you goige to quitte theire houre of neede? :)

I would do the regatta with them.

Snaggy, are you doing it with Footy?

No

No

Looks like we know who Snaggy is now B)

224 as of today. Trending toward a 290 registered number......

Yeah only 66 more to go

Yeah only 66 more to go

Yep and the registration trend makes that pretty easy to reach. Hoping you would make it Joe, but understand why not....

Is there a drop-dead time on Sunday? I see social events starting at 1400, can we assume that is when racing is done?

Unfortunately, some of us need to be at work a long way away the next day...

225 now. SI's due out on th 16th. Last warning signal time info will be in that. I'm expecting 1300 for Sunday.

Looks like Tom Ehman, (SP?) from the Americas Cup is going to be around on Saturday to show off the mug and do something else. A little bit of buzz getting started about Charleston getting on the cup circuit at some point. The battery would be a killer spectating spot.

The battery would be a killer spectating spot.

+ 1

I will personally check out the venue this weekend..

GO Team!

Sail safe!

I'm holding fast to my prediction of 250 total on the line, which would be around a 7% increase from last year, and totally in line with a slightly reduced marketing/advertising effort that resulted from CORA taking over from the SC Maritime Foundation.

225 now. SI's due out on th 16th. Last warning signal time info will be in that. I'm expecting 1300 for Sunday.

Looks like Tom Ehman, (SP?) from the Americas Cup is going to be around on Saturday to show off the mug and do something else. A little bit of buzz getting started about Charleston getting on the cup circuit at some point. The battery would be a killer spectating spot.

Thanks, and +1+1 on the Battery. Not to mention Waterfront Park. Just like the Wednesday night course, you could run a 1+ mile W/L between Castle Pinckney and the peninsula, with the windward mark off the foot of the Battery and the leeward mark off the curent passenger terminal. You could even throw in a quick pair of reaching legs to the nun in the Ashley and back. We may not have the hills of SF, but we have a lot of public waterfront, and it usually lines up pretty well with the sea breeze.

The battery would be a killer spectating spot.

Theye shoude putte a vip tente on roofe of Forte Sutmer Housse..... thate woude be killere :)

I've heard that Ehman is in discussion to do some sort of Cupdate talk there. Should be very cool if it all works out.. But whether or not the Cup actually makes it is a different matter. I've talk to him in the past about events like this, and moving the Cup around is not exactly easy, security issues ever since the bashing in NZL. I'd guess the Cup is also going to be in Europe for the ACWS events.

If Charleston could put the money together for an ACWS that would be very cool. It is a great venue for something like that. Probably at this point spring '13 would be a target to shoot for, but it does cost money to put those events together, the problem for all the venues so far. Good luck, hope you could make that happen.

I'm holding fast to my prediction of 250 total on the line, which would be around a 7% increase from last year, and totally in line with a slightly reduced marketing/advertising effort that resulted from CORA taking over from the SC Maritime Foundation.

As predicted and promised, Viper 640 entries will be up big time.

At least +75%.

The call has gone out: "Occupy Charleston!"

I was in Charleston this past week to visit my wife's 93 year old grandma. I love being in that town, and the weather was top drawer....would have been great sailing all week. Someday I'll need to find a way out to a CRW (and extend for a few more days out at Wild Dunes or down to Kiawah). Great places to eat all over town, and things for the kids to do, too.

We were on the Yorktown before heading for the airport. That would also be a good venue to watch some of the racing, although the Battery (if not one of the hundreds of 24' center console powerboats) would be great, too.

Of course there are the 50 boats just waiting to sign up so they don't miss out on my 40th birthday party. And with news leaking that an America's Cup 'Cupdate' will be offered by the illustrious Tomasito Ehman on the main stage Saturday arvo of Race Week, I think the numbers are about to jump again. 250, here we come. I am hoping they can be persuaded to haul the Mug herself to town, but that's a whole nother level of production.

Michael Miller's 'Tides & Currents 'Chalk Talk' is moving to video, to be posted online and available forever, in response to skippers' requests. I'll be getting to town quite early so i have a couple of days to get the video together with MM.

Good news, great numbers, and quite likely the most enjoyable CRW ever coming right up!

At least +75%.

At least +75%.

37 Vipers registered. Vinny is working the crowd, twisting arms...he reports there are a few more Viper entries to come.

Not long ago Clean challenged us to get 25 Vipers to CRW. Now? Knock knock knocking on 40's door!