Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr Bo_Tangles

Speaking of Piracy....

Couldn't the Japanese on the boat legally shoot them for boarding like that?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/12532002/pressure-mounts-for-release-of-whaling-activists/

I understand the cause but am often appalled by the approach....

what does everyone else think?

I agree, what they have done is no different to a pirate trying to take control of the ship, they are trying to take control and demand that they be returned to an Australian port, if you did this on an areoplane you would be branded a terrorist and locked up.

I also am against whaling and think that is should be stopped if it is not done in a traditional way but boarding a ship in international waters is Piracy.

These three idiots should be detained on board until the ship returns to Japan and are tried in a court, if they are found guilty then they will spend the time in an appropriate facility.

If you watch Whale Wars you stop feeling any sort of sympathy towards the SS cause and actually start rooting for he Japanese.

I"ve had very mixed emotions about this. Environmental terrorists scare the crap out of me. Whalers make me stick to my stomach. Not sure who to root for here. Douche vs. Douche

Whaling in the Japanese style is terribly wrong and smacks of stubborn arrogance.

However, there is a right way to do things and a wrong way, and the the Sea Shepherd folks consistently pick the wrong way. They engender no sympathy and in all likelihood their piracy / eco-terrorism probably does harm to their cause. Their actions cause them to forfeit the moral high ground they could so easily occupy.

I hope those idiots get carted all the way up to Japan and then tried for piracy. Should they be hung, hell no, but give em a slap on the wrist, something that makes it clear they can't just run around doing whatever the hell they please.

There are people that have the cojones to stand up for what they believe in and put themselves and everything they have on the line.

Then there is everyone else.

There are people that have the cojones to stand up for what they believe in and put themselves and everything they have on the line.

That's what every dictator thinks

If they were really willing to put everything on the line then they would use those millions of dollars donated each year to buy an old soviet sub and a couple black market torpedoes and put the whaling fleet on the bottom of the ocean. But for now they do stupid stunts like this and pretend their stink bombs and loud noises are gonna prove effective one day, it makes a TV show and puts lots of cash in SS pockets.

And what every person seeking justice believes.

There is nothing wrong with being everyone else. Most are.

Pioneers get the arrows

Settlers get the land

Forest rescuer activists? When did they start growing trees in the ocean? If the maritine laws don't consider this to be priracy...what about stow away? I do believe that if somebody. Came along my vessel out in the ocean and tried to board...They had better be a recognized military force, or coast guard and announce as so...or The crew would have all right to shoot at the boarders...

There are also repercussions for irresponsible and illegal actions, which they should face. There is nothing secret about the Japanese whaling fleet, their harvest numbers or distribution of the meat. Loophole or not is a matter of opinion, the Sea Shepherds have no authority to enforce their opinion through direct and aggressive means. They have repeatedly attempted to disable vessels in antarctic waters and this is the second time they have illegally boarded a Japanese flagged vessel.

Funny how you bring up justice, since that is the same stance the pirates of Somalia use. They justify their actions as justice for the years of foreign vessels illegal fishing and dumping waste in their waters.

Attacking a foreign vessel in international waters IS an act of war. Have to wonder what will happen -when- they actually kill some one, quite the chain of accomplices, both the captain and Bob Barker (financial support) live in the US....so the question is, would we hand them over to the Japanese courts. I would hope so.

Apparently previous a boarder did injure one or more Japanese crew, and was tried and convicted in Japan. Suspended sentence, but spent 5 months in prison while awaiting trial ( http://au.news.yahoo...ling-activists/ )

As to whether the US or another country would extradite such a person who was not in the hands of the Japanese in the first place, that would be a differing question.

There are also repercussions for irresponsible and illegal actions, which they should face. There is nothing secret about the Japanese whaling fleet, their harvest numbers or distribution of the meat. Loophole or not is a matter of opinion, the Sea Shepherds have no authority to enforce their opinion through direct and aggressive means. They have repeatedly attempted to disable vessels in antarctic waters and this is the second time they have illegally boarded a Japanese flagged vessel.

Funny how you bring up justice, since that is the same stance the pirates of Somalia use. They justify their actions as justice for the years of foreign vessels illegal fishing and dumping waste in their waters.

Attacking a foreign vessel in international waters IS an act of war. Have to wonder what will happen -when- they actually kill some one, quite the chain of accomplices, both the captain and Bob Barker (financial support) live in the US....so the question is, would we hand them over to the Japanese courts. I would hope so.

Problem is that the person/people who will die, will most likely be their own people who have no idea what they are doing at sea. 15 minutes in the Antarctic Ocean should finish them off.

Latest news this morning. Interview with Watson - 3 men to be released by the Japanese who are 300 miles south of Aus.. Watson refuses to take them on the Steve Irwin. Says "Aus govt can send a ship to pick them up". Not on my fucking dollar fuckwit!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/12532002/pressure-mounts-for-release-of-whaling-activists/

Sadly,I think it is the only approach that works.

Japan is an economic superpower that few countries want to anger or take sanctions against.

The seashepperd guys where not trying to take over the ship though, they just climbed aboard and let themselves be captured, that makes they pretty crap pirates btw.

I have zero sympathy for whalers and the sooner they will be stopped the better.

Dont forget that they are hunting in official nature santuaries, would we accept this behaviour if they where doing it on land? Doubt it.

What really makes me sick though is that they are using money which should go towards rebuilding the damage from the tsunami for protection vessels:

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2011/12/08/use-of-recovery-funds-stokes-japan-whaling-row/

Theses three are rank amateurs in the bording business.

A better and much more effective plan would be to send Big Bad Ben given he could easily jump on, rough them up a bit and sail on home with no cost to the Taxpayer.

I"ve had very mixed emotions about this. Environmental terrorists scare the crap out of me. Whalers make me stick to my stomach. Not sure who to root for here. Douche vs. Douche

root for the whales. Fuck the rest of them

http://au.news.yahoo...ling-activists/

Japan is an economic superpower that few countries want to anger or take sanctions against.

The seashepperd guys where not trying to take over the ship though, they just climbed aboard and let themselves be captured, that makes they pretty crap pirates btw.

I have zero sympathy for whalers and the sooner they will be stopped the better.

Dont forget that they are hunting in official nature santuaries, would we accept this behaviour if they where doing it on land? Doubt it.

What really makes me sick though is that they are using money which should go towards rebuilding the damage from the tsunami for protection vessels:

http://blogs.wsj.com...an-whaling-row/

Just think of the money they could have saved without the need for additional protection. What say the "International Whaling Commition" may have has granted Japan a "special permit" for their fully documented whale hunt. It is legal and approved, period. Sea Shepard is doing this on their own without any legal high ground. Forget what Watson says about illegal poaching and follow this link .

This is no different than chasing a licensed hunter around the woods setting trip wires and cutting the brake lines on their vehicle. EXCEPT these are whales, which for all of their lauded intelligence and ability to communicate over long distance still haven't figured out how to avoid a group of massive vessels on a far more massive ocean.

It's fine to take a stand, as long as you are willing to deal with the consequences - even if that means being taken back to Japan or taking a bullet for illegally boarding a vessel.

Watson's response was to whine about the Australian Government not doing enough to get the eco-pirates released. Let's face it - this sets a very bad precedence. If I have a special spot in my heart for marlin, I can save a marlin or two by boarding charter fishing boats off the coast of Australia with impunity, could I not?

I abhor whaling, but I'd have had no problem whatever if these three guys were shot while boarding.

Am a bit surprised by the article on the frontpage, you'd think a website with "anarchy" in the title would encourage illegally boarding ships on the high seas! ;)

The Dutch govt has been pressured by Japan to ground the seashepperd boats since they are sailing under Dutch flags.

They still use the flag which means the govt didnt really try very hard (or cared).

It's fine to take a stand, as long as you are willing to deal with the consequences - even if that means being taken back to Japan or taking a bullet for illegally boarding a vessel.

Watson's response was to whine about the Australian Government not doing enough to get the eco-pirates released. Let's face it - this sets a very bad precedence. If I have a special spot in my heart for marlin, I can save a marlin or two by boarding charter fishing boats off the coast of Australia with impunity, could I not?

I abhor whaling, but I'd have had no problem whatever if these three guys were shot while boarding.

Well that just makes you a fucking dickhead. Boarding a vessel without permission is no more than a trespass offence. Piracy is illegally taking control of a vessel. Very different things.

Well that just makes you a fucking dickhead. Boarding a vessel without permission is no more than a trespass offence. Piracy is illegally taking control of a vessel. Very different things.

I have to agree with you it's amazing how some of the blowhards on here bang on and on about piracy, when in fact these three blokes engaged in non violent protest by way of trespass.

For those of you who don't know much about the kind of protest Aussie forest activists like these three engage in, most of it is well thought out non violent actions where they put themselves in harms way, thus creating a situation where their opposition must cause them intentional harm to proceed

This is just another version of this, and in my opinion if it screws with the whalers timetable having to drop them off closer to Australia then it is a massive success.

No Injuries, no physical violence (hopefully), more global media coverage, disrupted whaling.

Sorry guys I just can't see the huge negatives here

I have to agree with you it's amazing how some of the blowhards on here bang on and on about piracy, when in fact these three blokes engaged in non violent protest by way of trespass.

For those of you who don't know much about the kind of protest Aussie forest activists like these three engage in, most of it is well thought out non violent actions where they put themselves in harms way, thus creating a situation where their opposition must cause them intentional harm to proceed

This is just another version of this, and in my opinion if it screws with the whalers timetable having to drop them off closer to Australia then it is a massive success.

No Injuries, no physical violence (hopefully), more global media coverage, disrupted whaling.

+1

+1

I hope you really watch the show before saying they take non-violent actions. Considering they take ribs to try and disable the ships props with chains, throw gas grenades and other debris at the whalers, etc. I am no means standing up for the Japanese whalers, but the actions of these Sea Shepards is quite stupid.

[

I hope you really watch the show before saying they take non-violent actions. Considering they take ribs to try and disable the ships props with chains, throw gas grenades and other debris at the whalers, etc. I am no means standing up for the Japanese whalers, but the actions of these Sea Shepards is quite stupid.

I have seen the show

I'm particularly discussing the three Australian activists who boarded the whaling vessel. Not the whole SS organisiation.

This boarding was their goal for this trip. And they succeeded.

[

I have seen the show

I'm particularly discussing the three Australian activists who boarded the whaling vessel. Not the whole SS organisiation.

This boarding was their goal for this trip. And they succeeded.

What did they actually accomplish other than a feel good publicity stunt?. They boarded a security ship, not a harpoon or processing ship.

So those Somali's are only committing a trespass offense until the point at which they actually take control of the vessel. Got it.

Cap'n Watson and his crew of morons do make you root for the Japanese. Boarding a vessel without permission at sea is an act of piracy, ship of fools.

1) Japan is violating international (UN) law by calling their commercial whaling activities "research",

2) there is a big difference between boarding a ship with or without an AK47 or RPG launcher and either threatening to kill the crew or going on hunger strike,

3) if we want to make use of innapropriate comparisons, I really don't get why the US are not sending a plane carrier to protect international regulation like they do in the strait of hormus...

Sea Shepherd are putting an issue back on the agenda that would otherwise go unnoticed. As long as they only "destroy property" without hurting or killing people, I'm ok with it. This is nowhere near eco-terrorism or terrorism!

What did they actually accomplish other than a feel good publicity stunt?. They boarded a security ship, not a harpoon or processing ship.

Sometimes a feel good publicity stunt is enough.

Surely part of their objective is to ensure that the Japanese whaling industry is under constant international pressure? You can't achieve that objective without publicity [stunts].

Yes, you can. Film the whales being killed, document the hypocrisy of the Japanese to raise awareness. Put global pressure on the Japanese government to end subsidies. T

1) Japan is violating international (UN) law by calling their commercial whaling activities "research",

2) there is a big difference between boarding a ship with or without an AK47 or RPG launcher and either threatening to kill the crew or going on hunger strike,

3) if we want to make use of innapropriate comparisons, I really don't get why the US are not sending a plane carrier to protect international regulation like they do in the strait of hormus...

Sea Shepherd are putting an issue back on the agenda that would otherwise go unnoticed. As long as they only "destroy property" without hurting or killing people, I'm ok with it. This is nowhere near eco-terrorism or terrorism!

1) The UN has no effective enforcement mechanism. The Japanese are certainly violating the spirit of the agreements by exploiting the research loophole. Proving that is another matter.

2) Really?. How. You are boarding a vessel in international waters. Regardless of your intent or lack of arms, that is illegal.

3) See #1. If the U.S. military forcibly intervened, it would be violating international law. Nothing has happened in the Straight of Hormuz other than words and posturing. You can't have it both ways.

Some will face criminal charges. The point is that each decided to do it anyway, fully understanding what is at stake.

I didn't want to get into defending them, they are acting because the Japanese whaling fleets are flouting international treaties that restrict whaling by calling it "research". No one holds the Japanese companies to task, I doubt anyone will hold the activist to task for the same reason. As bystanders, each of our governments are guilty of ignoring international law and treaties as well as our conscience. To each their own, I know who I'm hoping comes out on top.

If you watch Whale Wars you stop feeling any sort of sympathy towards the SS cause and actually start rooting for he Japanese.

i have been rooting for the whalers since the first show.

1) Find something whales don't like.

2) Follow whalers around, dong whatever it is that whales don't like.

http://blogs.wsj.com...an-whaling-row/

Just think of the money they could have saved without the need for additional protection. What say the "International Whaling Commition" may have has granted Japan a "special permit" for their fully documented whale hunt. It is legal and approved, period. Sea Shepard is doing this on their own without any legal high ground. Forget what Watson says about illegal poaching and follow this link .

This is no different than chasing a licensed hunter around the woods setting trip wires and cutting the brake lines on their vehicle. EXCEPT these are whales, which for all of their lauded intelligence and ability to communicate over long distance still haven't figured out how to avoid a group of massive vessels on a far more massive ocean.

Yeah who here believes that Japans fully documented scietific research hunt for 1004 whales in 2010 was not served up at the local elementry school for lunch

Scientific research my ass I personally witnessed whale meat being auctioned off at the fish market and in grocery stores in Tokoyo, did this meat come from the indigenious hunt, probably not since it was labeled as another species how dumb do you think people are?

1) Find something whales don't like.

2) Follow whalers around, dong whatever it is that whales don't like.

1) I would guess they are not too keen on people shooting harpoons into them. (too much?)

2) That would lead to the Sea Shemps being charged with annoying whales in a whale sanctury.

Some will face criminal charges. The point is that each decided to do it anyway, fully understanding what is at stake.

I didn't want to get into defending them, they are acting because the Japanese whaling fleets are flouting international treaties that restrict whaling by calling it "research". No one holds the Japanese companies to task, I doubt anyone will hold the activist to task for the same reason. As bystanders, each of our governments are guilty of ignoring international law and treaties as well as our conscience. To each their own, I know who I'm hoping comes out on top.

Pete Bethune spent five months in a Japanese jail for boarding the same vessel last year.

I think you should see the historical background. Whaling is forbidden since 1986 or so. To go on with whaling Japan is buying the votes of a lot of small countrys in the whaling comission. Countrys where the people eat less then 10% meat compared to Americans or even Japanese. SS is claiming the whaling is at least partly going on in protected waters. If this is true japanese whaling is not protected by any law.

If you have choosen to devote your life to a good cause and you see the governments of the world doing nothing about it for decades, then you might take some desperate measures. It is absolutely necessary for a community that there are people who speak out loud and act if there is something wrong.

Besides the Japanese claim they whale for research. Why does the meat end up on the market? Would you eat your beaf or chicken from an animal test laboratory?

And by the way, as a sailor you might not accuse other people for burning money.

If you dislike seashepard make them unimployed by forcing your government to act against whaling and other cruelties against nature.

The Japanese security ship (it is not a whaler by the way - not equipped for it) is still heading south with the 3 nutcases on board. The Aus government has had to send a Customs or Fisheries vessel at high speed to catch up and pick up the 3 nutcases. This is going to cost the taxpayers a shitload of money (100' s of thousands of $$$$) that the govt will try and get back from the nutcases. These kind of people usually are on welfare and have nothing the govt can take so as usual, the rest of us pay for their stupidity.

I would love to see the Jap navy tag along with the whale hunting boats and just end the SS once and for all.

~~~~

otherwise we might still live in the Middle Ages burning witches

~~~~~

Iy is generally considered that the Middle Ages ended c.1450 (give or take a decade)

The idea of using witches as patio torches only became popular (or indeed legal) some time AFTER Pope Innocent VIII issued Summis desiderantes affectibus in 1484.

I think you should see the historical background. Whaling is forbidden since 1986 or so. To go on with whaling Japan is buying the votes of a lot of small countrys in the whaling comission. Countrys where the people eat less then 10% meat compared to Americans or even Japanese. SS is claiming the whaling is at least partly going on in protected waters. If this is true japanese whaling is not protected by any law.

If you have choosen to devote your life to a good cause and you see the governments of the world doing nothing about it for decades, then you might take some desperate measures. It is absolutely necessary for a community that there are people who speak out loud and act if there is something wrong.

Besides the Japanese claim they whale for research. Why does the meat end up on the market? Would you eat your beaf or chicken from an animal test laboratory?

And by the way, as a sailor you might not accuse other people for burning money.

If you dislike seashepard make them unimployed by forcing your government to act against whaling and other cruelties against nature.

Mostly true, although I doubt Watson's motives are that pure. He has lied so often and so blatantly that he has very little credibility left. The problem is that the whaling conventions, like many international agreements have no enforcement provision. When countries flout the agreement, there is not much that the international community can do legally to make them stop. IMHO, the best way to stop the Japanese from whaling is to put global pressure on them both from governments and citizens. When the Japanese government ends subsidies for whaling, it will stop.

I don't understand why the Sea Shepards don't just admit they are terrorosts, and torpedo the whaling ships and end this.

They are just a bunch of little cowardly sh!ts. Someone should charge them with polluting the southern waters with their diesel fuel and carbon fiber chuncks. Don't they know they could put out a whales eye with their carbon fibers?

If your going to run commando operations, at least train for it.

Great thread.

Whaling is abhorrent, but what's really abhorrent is that the Japanese pursue it in the name of "research."

The Whale Wars show is polarizing. The issue is that there seems to be no other way to get the Japs to pay attention. Treaty negotiations on this issue have gone nowhere. And, like it or not, the Sea Shepherd efforts do appear to be working. Watson is for the most part a disingenous ass and a showman, but the results speak for themselves. And who doesn't side with them in incidents such as when the Canadian CG jackboots rammed their other boat to keep it away from seeing sealing operations? They were in international water and the CCG frigate had no right whatsoever to ram the Watson boat.

Anyhow, I wince at the Sea Shepherd-ers ineptness, but respect their idealism and willing to take it on the chin to do what they think is morally right. It's not like they are getting paid.

Want to save the whales without all this stupidity?

Remove the demand for whalemeat and it will not be economical to hunt whales. Target the Japanese at home and change their thinking.

~~~~

otherwise we might still live in the Middle Ages burning witches

~~~~~

Iy is generally considered that the Middle Ages ended c.1450 (give or take a decade)

The idea of using witches as patio torches only became popular (or indeed legal) some time AFTER Pope Innocent VIII issued Summis desiderantes affectibus in 1484.

Right , more apropos would be the Medieval Inquisition burning heretics, which would incluse ALL sorts of us sinners.

I would love to see the Jap navy tag along with the whale hunting boats and just end the SS once and for all.

Others would stand up to replace them.

But maybe in not such a stupid manner? No?

Great thread.

Whaling is abhorrent, but what's really abhorrent is that the Japanese pursue it in the name of "research."

The Whale Wars show is polarizing. The issue is that there seems to be no other way to get the Japanese to pay attention. Treaty negotiations on this issue have gone nowhere. And, like it or not, the Sea Shepherd efforts do appear to be working. Watson is for the most part a disingenuous ass and a showman, but the results speak for themselves. And who doesn't side with them in incidents such as when the Canadian CG jackboots rammed their other boat to keep it away from seeing sealing operations? They were in international water and the CCG frigate had no right whatsoever to ram the Watson boat.

Anyhow, I wince at the Sea Shepherd-ers ineptness, but respect their idealism and willing to take it on the chin to do what they think is morally right. It's not like they are getting paid.

This is what I was getting at. They are naive and unskilled but what they lack in preparation they make up for with heart.

It hurts every fiber of seamanship anyone has learned to watch them just launch a boat.  In the modern world of no escape from the reach of authorities, it apparently takes a bit of a fool to stand up for what you believe in no matter how much it costs you?  

I have a hard time not empathizing with someone that risks everything for a good cause. No matter how foolishly they conduct themselves.

It hurts every fiber of seamanship anyone has learned to watch them just launch a boat.  In the modern world of no escape from the reach of authorities, it apparently takes a bit of a fool to stand up for what you believe in no matter how much it costs you?  

I have a hard time not empathizing with someone that risks everything for a good cause. No matter how foolishly they conduct themselves.

Someone mentioned that 'they are not getting paid'. Wake the fuck up.

What 'they' risk most is not their's to risk, for one. I never empathize with raving fools, for two. Especially those who's efforts most objectively would be better used in any of a number of legal ways to help the Minke whales. Southern Minkes have about a zero chance of being harmed as a breeding population due the whaling as done legally or other-wise today.

I'm also not a proponant of any whaling myself. I'm just trying to take the spin out and be a bit objective.

I doubt many of the arm chair critics writing here would have the balls to stand up for what they believe in, unless what they believe in is going to the fridge for yet another beer or watching a cheap titty show in some bar in Manila.

The Japanese should not be in the internationally designated whale sanctuary killing these creatures. How much evidence do many of you guys need that this is not research in anyway it is just whaling for profit and national pride and the Japanese are breaking international law with every whale they kill. It is a shame that countries like Australia do not have the balls to step up and say to Japan that if you send your whaling fleet we will apply sanctions to you. We should be telling the Japanese that your whaling research days are up. You can take 10 whales a season (and that is too many) and no more. If your scientists can not get what they need from that, maybe what you need is better scientists not more whales.

I for one would like to see the planet left in better shape after I am gone not worse. Clearly many of you here think strip mining the oceans is acceptable. Well wake the fuck up, with non viable and dying oceans we are all dead, it isn't a matter of if but when.

No matter how poor you perceive his seamanship to be, or how "illegal" his actions are, at least he has the guts to step up and say, "Stop killing the whales you greedy stupid fucks, they don't belong to you."

With a bit of luck the whole Japanese whaling fleet will one day be sunk in harbour by a zealot of the conservation movement.

The only illegality happening here is the Japanese flouting the law, season after season.

I have donated cash to this organisation and will continue to do so. I just hope he moves more aggressively against long line fishing vessels in the future. I would give the guy a couple of thousand dollars a year if he would just go around pulling long lines from the ocean and destroying them.

Like Watson has said, if you see an individual raping or killing another person, maybe a defenseless child even, do you observe and film the incident and hope that just being observed will change that psychos behaviour or do you intervene and stop it occurring. Full marks to him for having the guts to devote his life to stopping this completely unnecessary killing.

You armchair critics can judge him all you like, but keep this in mind, you are small men with small dreams and you will never understand those others human beings who try and do extraordinary things in the face of great opposition.

So, if I blow up your car because it pollutes too much in my opinion - e.g. your radio is too loud creating noise pollution - it's ok because it's only "property" damage.

Cool. Got it. I'll be right over. :D

Posted · Hidden by Rich Frye, January 11, 2012 - not worth my energy
Hidden by Rich Frye, January 11, 2012 - not worth my energy

I doubt many of the arm chair critics writing here would have the balls to stand up for what they believe in, unless what they believe in is going to the fridge for yet another beer or watching a cheap titty show in some bar in Manila.

The Japanese should not be in the internationally designated whale sanctuary killing these creatures. How much evidence do many of you guys need that this is not research in anyway it is just whaling for profit and national pride and the Japanese are breaking international law with every whale they kill. It is a shame that countries like Australia do not have the balls to step up and say to Japan that if you send your whaling fleet we will apply sanctions to you. We should be telling the Japanese that your whaling research days are up. You can take 10 whales a season (and that is too many) and no more. If your scientists can not get what they need from that, maybe what you need is better scientists not more whales.

I for one would like to see the planet left in better shape after I am gone not worse. Clearly many of you here think strip mining the oceans is acceptable. Well wake the fuck up, with non viable and dying oceans we are all dead, it isn't a matter of if but when.

No matter how poor you perceive his seamanship to be, or how "illegal" his actions are, at least he has the guts to step up and say, "Stop killing the whales you greedy stupid fucks, they don't belong to you."

With a bit of luck the whole Japanese whaling fleet will one day be sunk in harbour by a zealot of the conservation movement.

The only illegality happening here is the Japanese flouting the law, season after season.

I have donated cash to this organisation and will continue to do so. I just hope he moves more aggressively against long line fishing vessels in the future. I would give the guy a couple of thousand dollars a year if he would just go around pulling long lines from the ocean and destroying them.

Like Watson has said, if you see an individual raping or killing another person, maybe a defenseless child even, do you observe and film the incident and hope that just being observed will change that psychos behaviour or do you intervene and stop it occurring. Full marks to him for having the guts to devote his life to stopping this completely unnecessary killing.

You armchair critics can judge him all you like, but keep this in mind, you are small men with small dreams and you will never understand those others human beings who try and do extraordinary things in the face of great opposition.

You take yourself way to serious. I bet you'd shit your pants if you were dropped into a warzone with real guys, with real balls, making a real stand, putting their lives on the line for you. And so would your heros.

I don't understand why the Sea Shepards don't just admit they are terrorosts, and torpedo the whaling ships and end this.

They are just a bunch of little cowardly sh!ts. Someone should charge them with polluting the southern waters with their diesel fuel and carbon fiber chuncks. Don't they know they could put out a whales eye with their carbon fibers?

If your going to run commando operations, at least train for it.

Simple - Paul Watson is an attention whore. I'm sure he really cares about whales, but not as much as he cares about his Google hits and raising money. When was the last time that fat fuck jumped in a rib in the SO and boarded a whaling ship? He's an ass hole with a big, lucrative contract for a TV show.

Is anyone curious about his financial situation? Are the Whale Wars dollars going to the cause of saving whales? What is Watson's net worth and what does he make per year?

If he made less than $50k last year, I'd be inclined to believe his dedication. I'd love to see the books.

Hater.

They're still stupid idiots for trespassing. However well intentioned they are. Much better off to get a worldwide petition circulated that has millions of signatures and make a huge presentation with evidence at the world court and get all of the broadcast to do a trial in the public opinion. They are destroying whatever impact factor they had by continued acts of stupidity and reckless self endagerment IMO.

Sloan

"It is a shame that countries like Australia do not have the balls to step up and say to Japan that if you send your whaling fleet we will apply sanctions to you. We should be telling the Japanese that your whaling research days are up. You can take 10 whales a season (and that is too many) and no more. If your scientists can not get what they need from that, maybe what you need is better scientists not more whales."

Australia is taking legal action through the international courts. Yeah right sanctions. 5th biggest export market. Aus go it alone & don't buy Toyota.

THE federal government has reminded Japan that its whaling vessels are not welcome in Australia's territorial waters amid claims one strayed close to Macquarie Island. The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society says Japan's Yushin Maru No 3 harpoon ship followed its Bob Barker vessel inside the 12-mile territorial waters of the island, which belongs to Tasmania.

A statement released on the Sea Shepherd's website says the Japanese ship came as close as five nautical miles from the island's beach - in a clear breach of a 2008 federal court order forbidding whaling vessels in Australian territorial waters.

"We have asked our embassy today to reiterate to the Japanese government that whaling vessels are not welcome in Australian territorial waters," a spokesperson for Attorney-General Nicola Roxon said in response to the claim.

"The Australian government believes strongly that Japan's so-called scientific whaling is illegal."Macquarie is about 800 nautical miles south

Meanwhile, south of WA, the Shonan Maru No. 2 steamed on in pursuit of the Sea Shepherd flagship, Steve Irwin, after the agreement to release the activists.

Ms Roxon said the Ocean Protector would be diverted from a fishing patrol to meet the Shonan Maru No. 2 and pick up the act

Between the Whales and the Dolphins - I'm just happy someone is trying to do something for these creatures - not always the best thought out tactics, but damn, they're doing more than I am about it! The fact that the Japaneese government allows this to go on in the first place is outrageous. It's a sad sad world and this just ices the cake.

I don't like your post. Therefore, I am entitled to break down your front door and invade your house. I assure you that I am non-violent and mean you and your family no harm. I am simply acting in protest to your post.

I'd like to see some evidence that the Japanese are breaking the law, besides what Watson says. From what I've read, without emotion, they are acting within the law - as heinous as their actions might be.

I absolutely abhor whaling, but I am not willing to make exceptions to sea law based on political or environmental inclinations.

It has been nice to see Cap'n Watson sit up in his chair and command his minnions to go out and risk their lives. The incompetence of the SS fleet is very entertaining, will Cap'n Watson be tried for murder/ manslaughter when his faithful crew ends up in the watery deep. Do they have to sign their lives away before being let on the SS Fleet?

My 15 year olds friends do enjoy laughing at the shipmanship on display.

I don't like your post. Therefore, I am entitled to break down your front door and invade your house. I assure you that I am non-violent and mean you and your family no harm. I am simply acting in protest to your post.

I'd like to see some evidence that the Japanese are breaking the law, besides what Watson says. From what I've read, without emotion, they are acting within the law - as heinous as their actions might be.

I absolutely abhor whaling, but I am not willing to make exceptions to sea law based on political or environmental inclinations.

You should just masturbate and keep your vacuous drivel to yourself.

Just read the international whaling laws. Any whale killed for ccommercial purposes is against the laws. The "research provision" is used as a vaporously thin excuse to hunt whales by Japan and Norway. They're crooks but the laws have no enforcement provisions.chivalry is apparently dead to the self important human bung holes populating the Japanese and Norwegian governments.

Remember it's happening in the good old US of A as well. The Inuit hunt whales, not in seal skin kayaks with bone harpoons but in fibreglass and aluminium boats using modern weapons. I realise that it is traditional for these people but so it is for lots of cultures around the world including Japan. Not saying whaling is right for these cultures, just saying SS should look at other areas as well. I think Paul Watson is a liar and a scumbag and should back away, just because he thinks his cause is right does not give him the right to do immense property damage.

Just read the international whaling laws. Any whale killed for ccommercial purposes is against the laws. The "research provision" is used as a vaporously thin excuse to hunt whales by Japan and Norway. They're crooks but the laws have no enforcement provisions.chivalry is apparently dead to the self important human bung holes populating the Japanese and Norwegian governments.

which laws oh vacuos driveller...please cite them.

can you also bring up the relevant colregs while you are on your whole legal bent.

SEA SHEPARD SUPPORTERS THE LAW IS HERE ---------> READ THIS, twice then a third time REALLY SLOW

That is from the webpage of the International Whaling Commission, "The main duty of the IWC is to keep under review and revise as necessary the measures laid down in the Schedule to the Convention which govern the conduct of whaling throughout the world" Yup the ones who set the rules for participating nations...another quote;

"Whilst member nations must submit proposals for review, in accordance with the Convention, it is the member nation that ultimately decides whether or not to issue a permit, and this right overrides any other Commission regulations including the moratorium and sanctuaries. Article VIII also requires that the animals be utilised once the scientific data have been collected." They have no teeth, but they do keep track of all harvests AND Japan is acting in accordance with them.

It could be that the Japanese government is entirely corrupt -or- a majority of those who elected them simply have no qualms with sustainable whaling. I would be willing to bet it is a little of both. We humans have been killing whales for centuries before we got a bit too carried away and efficient at it, just like hunting and fishing, i see no problem with the sustainable harvesting of edible non-human species.

As far as the arm chair critic bit, i think most do have the balls to stand up for what they believe in, provided their respective belief was strong enough to make the sacrifice for it. Professional activists most often desperately look hard for issue based movements to latch onto to then look down on those who don't, scoffing in self indulgent superiority in their acceptance to a cause greater than themselves, rather than face the truth that most people honestly don't give a shit.

I have been in the northern waters of Aus where it is whale soup. Hundreds of whales within eye sight. Mating. Awesome & scary. So close & pre-occupried. I'm not ambivilent. Everyone is wrong.

Remember it's happening in the good old US of A as well. The Inuit hunt whales, not in seal skin kayaks with bone harpoons but in fibreglass and aluminium boats using modern weapons. I realise that it is traditional for these people but so it is for lots of cultures around the world including Japan. Not saying whaling is right for these cultures, just saying SS should look at other areas as well. I think Paul Watson is a liar and a scumbag and should back away, just because he thinks his cause is right does not give him the right to do immense property damage.

Damn right and Inuit sustenance whaling should continue. Also the equipment you mentioned, in the spring they use the mighty whale killing dory, oh nd you can see that super high tech harpoon as well!!. Watson even has a house in Alaska. Unfortunately his ship wouldn't be able to follow this ancient craft.

inuit.jpg Speaking of balls to do what you believe in, these guys are going after a Bowhead in sub zero waters without survival suits with a dinghy that will swamp if capsized.

~~~

chivalry is apparently dead to the self important human bung holes populating the Japanese and Norwegian governments.

That description would better apply to Paul Watson himself

Case in point:

Meanwhile, south of WA, the Shonan Maru No. 2 steamed on in pursuit of the Sea Shepherd flagship, Steve Irwin, after the agreement to release the activists.

Ms Roxon said the Ocean Protector would be diverted from a fishing patrol to meet the Shonan Maru No. 2 and pick up the act...

Over the centuries, combatants have worked out procedures for prisoner transfer. This could have been done as soon as the Japanese agreed to release the three. But Watson is a grandstanding wanker, who not only refuses to accept direct transfer, but is actually making the transfer via Australian Customs vessel as difficult as possibe for the sake of his reality TV show.

Meanwhile Bob Bloody Brown wants Australian Customs to provide a vessel to shadow every Japanese whaler, and do nothing except piss tax dollars into the Southern Ocean.

If the Japanese want to kill whales for "research" I have no problem if they choose to use traditional Inuit methods. Leave the factory ship at home. My mistake, I meant research vessel of course. I know it is a research vessel because it says so right there on the side of the ship.

The Japanese are international bullies and have been that way for a very long time. Whether it was walking out of the League of Nations when they couldn't get their way many years ago or their aggression towards the Allies during the second world war. They have a long history of arrogance and aggression towards the rest of the world who they have always considered inferior.

Sadly money talks and the Australian government will not upset Japan and disturb trade ties. Lets suck up to the Japanese and look like weak cowardly fools. I would be sending a navy vessel down there to tell them to get the hell out of those waters and stop their charade of research which everyone knows is just lies. They know it, we know it, the whole world knows it, but no one wants to upset the Japanese so we all play along with their lies.

You do not need to kill thousands of whales for research.

What is more, it is completely obscene that the Institute of Cetacean Research in Japan is also funded by a company called Kyodo Senpaku which is nothing more than a for profit company that wholesales whale meat and related products. This is nothing but commercial whaling using the guise of research to kill.

You can argue about Sea Shepherds methods. You can argue about Watsons motivations although I think after a lifetime dedicated to this cause his motivation is quite clear. What you can't argue about is that the massive killing that took place in 2007 when they killed about a thousand whales for "research" has not happened since then and that is due to the efforts of this organisation.

Future generations will thank this organisation and the man who founded it, as humanity has now reached a time where we need to draw a line in the sand and say to the companies that seek profit over a future that enough is enough.

Or do some of you guys know where we can find another Earth?

Meanwhile Bob Bloody Brown wants Australian Customs to provide a vessel to shadow every Japanese whaler, and do nothing except piss tax dollars into the Southern Ocean.

Shut down Australia's immigration program and take all the money allocated to that program and piss it away doing exactly that. I would rather see it wasted in the Southern Ocean than used to take the population overflow from the worlds failed nation states who refuse to behave in a civilized manner.

It is about time Australia stood up and said fuck off to these intransigent nations. We have the minerals and other resources the world is getting ever more hungry for. We hold more cards than we realise but sadly our politicians are gutless sycophantic colonials and much of our population behaves like the rabble from two centuries ago that drank the rum their masters offered them and then bent over when they were told to. A nation of drunks that pisses away its birthright every Friday and Saturday night.

Now back on the subject of Watson and piracy. Don't you think if he was a pirate he would be dealt with. The Japanese are behaving in a manner that is indefensible and so if he chooses to behave in a similiar manner what recourse does either party have. He is certainly a thorn in the side of quite a few governments now, but that is more due to them being shown up as the self serving fools they are, than him breaking any international law.

I donate money to them to do exactly what they are doing because I am too afraid to change my life so dramatically or am too conservative or have to much to lose in my professional life to help in any other way. I have never been further than Hobart on a yacht and I think it takes some guts to head deep into the Southern Ocean to protect the rights of these creatures that are unable to enforce their rights themselves.

We need more Watsons in my opinion. One for the abattoirs of Indonesia and another for the Amazon. Pick your cause and it could do with a passionate focused individual who through their actions forces change on a reluctant world.

It took me a while but I finally found some results of their research:

whale-steak-by-ChrisGoldNY_3671440407_47c1be38c3-400x350.jpg

Picture of one of the researchers at work:

whale-770644.jpg

I think the main focus of their research is whether whale steak is better with Soy sauce or Ponzu sauce. "It is too close to call at this stage so we will need another thousand whales to continue our study", says the leading scientist of Japan.

I am done with this discussion. Both sides have made up their minds and neither side will concede so if you agree with the actions of this organisation you are clearly a higher and more evolved person who can see the greater implications of this struggle and the others like it that are occurring around the globe. If you are opposed, continue with your wrong headed beliefs and when in a few generations your great grand kids are sucking down Soylent Green for dinner you can shed a few bitter tears for what could have been....

I think the main focus of their research is whether whale steak is better with Soy sauce or Ponzu sauce. "It is too close to call at this stage so we will need another thousand whales to continue our study", says the leading scientist of Japan.

I am done with this discussion. Both sides have made up their minds and neither side will concede so if you agree with the actions of this organisation you are clearly a higher and more evolved person who can see the greater implications of this struggle and the others like it that are occurring around the globe. If you are opposed, continue with your wrong headed beliefs and when in a few generations your great grand kids are sucking down Soylent Green for dinner you can shed a few bitter tears for what could have been....

Christ, but you are full of yourself. Zealotry, in any form is a dangerous thing.

There are more than two sides here. There are people who are in favor of whaling - though I have yet to see anyone post here who takes that position. There are people like me who are against whaling and also against some of the the actions of Watson and his group. There are those who are against whaling and support Watson's actions. Unfortunately, within the group of Sea Shepherd supporters, there's a sub-group that seems to feel that anyone who is critical of the Sea Shepherd is in favor of whaling, which is intellectually lazy.

I say it's all about money to line the pockets of another anti group. Just another PETA. Prosecute these guys and put them in prison.

These dickbags and their 'no balls' shit have never spent a day defending their counrty. Any of the shit ton here who have served could tell these dickbags what it feels like to really put their lives on the line to really make a stand, for humans. Dickbags I tell ya.

I would like to see one of the whale-huggers get shot by a little Japanese dude while trying to illegally boardone of the whaling ships.

Now this is one thing I can't quite get my head around. Whats the difference between killing fish, cows, sheep, etc which generally seems fine, by most, and killing whales, or dolphins which is seen as hideous barbaric etc. Surely your average sheep pulled upside down getting its throat cut and bleed to death is not that different to what happens to a whale.

No doubt there will be a load of greenie subversive looneys justifing how barbaric whale hunting is, as they tuck into a nice lamb chop or a bacon sandwich. All I say is get back to the lentil burgers. By the way anyone got any good Dolphin steak recipes, I may go out and get a few in a culturally sensitive, indigenous people sort of way.

Lastley all those predatory animals that like eating dolphins whales etc, do we need to retrain these to eat lentil burgers etc. or could we sacrifice a few sea shepperd nutters as food, after all I am sure there must be a few hungry sharks or Orca out there. We could even send a few north for the Polar Bears, this would save the lifes of a few penguins and seals.

Is anyone curious about his financial situation? Are the Whale Wars dollars going to the cause of saving whales? What is Watson's net worth and what does he make per year?

If he made less than $50k last year, I'd be inclined to believe his dedication. I'd love to see the books.

According to the article HERE his annual salarly is $96,000(assuming USD) It also explains where some of the money for the organization comes from.

Quote from the article. Assuming it's from Capt Thundercunt

''But I brought in $180,000 last year in appearance fees and royalties, which I gave back,'' he said this week. ''I also donated my holiday pay.'