• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Lord

AC 45

So under the surrogate boat rule, surely this sort of thing shouldn't be allowed. Because that boats no longer an AC45 under a one design rule.

Any care to explain how this is legal?

I believe that these modifications are allowed under......"The Golden Rule". ;)

-MH

So under the surrogate boat rule, surely this sort of thing shouldn't be allowed. Because that boats no longer an AC45 under a one design rule.

-MH

Ahhh yes... well put B)

I just noticed the centreboard cases are on the other side of the beam compared to normal, which is faily decent surgery. Would they just fill in the new cases with plugs for ac45 events or are these different boats all together to the ac 45's used in the world series? (sorry kinda outta the loop)

-MH

Ahhh yes... well put B)

It's good to know a bit about rules before talking about

Surrogate Yacht means any catamaran yacht that is greater than 10 meters LOA,

except that an AC45 Yacht whose "platform" (external shape of the hulls, and the

crossbeams) comply with the AC45 Class Rule shall not be a Surrogate Yacht. For

the avoidance of doubt, daggerboard cases may be modified, and for the purposes of

this definition any such modification is not deemed to change the external shape of

the hull.

They can modify the wing, daggerboard, rudders, rigging and running gear as long as they don't change the shape of the hulls or alter the crossbeams. However they are then no longer a class AC45 and cannot race in the ACWS.

Oracle have 4 AC45's. The 2 originals they will keep as class boats and the other 2 they will use as test platforms.

I would take stuff like that with a grain of salt.

Are those wings the same as on the "real" AC45s? Or are they not (yet?) testing new configurations?

A whiteboard in the middle of a hanger the Oracle Racing Headquarters, about 20 feet from the lamination area where they're building an AC72? :ph34r:

Fixed it for you.

Turn around, you see this:

0165doortop.jpg

Open the door, you see this:

0163mouldtent.jpg

Looks like they are just doing research on different foiling designs for when they build the big boat. Obviously the 75 foot cats are going to have some sort of foiling center boards.

So Oracle invented the ACWS and 45's to sell to other people to pay for their own surrogate boats.

Also why did Team NZ buy the SL 33 and not more AC45's and Mod them?

So Oracle invented the ACWS and 45's to sell to other people to pay for their own surrogate boats.

Also why did Team NZ buy the SL 33 and not more AC45's and Mod them?

SL costs 100-200G AC45 costs close to 1M...

OK surely an AC45 is not $1m.. I havent been following the boat cost at all but that is ridiculous. I presume your $1m would be including your entry etc etc etc to the the ACWS..

SO basically your saying L.E has spent $2m on 2 surrogate boats when TNZ has spent $400k.. That sounds completely wrong to me.. Happy to be proven wrong.

But surely it would lead to a greater understanding and output of Data..

What data would TNZ get from an AC45 that they can't get from the SL-33's?

For a start they would have a higher level datum point. The AC45's are obviously going to be at a higher percentage of Max speed more often then an SL33 that is just 2 boat tuning. The Datum point would also always be rising as they have a great field of boats and competition to compete and learn from.

They would use ACWS data as a Datum point to compare to changes in speed, angle, leeway etc etc.